General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Official AoK Mac thread
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09-14-08 02:28 AM CT (US)   
Hello fellow Mac users. This thread is for questions about the Macintosh version of Age of Empires II. If you have general questions about Age of Empires, also known as AoK, then look around other parts of this website and forums. The game play, stats, etc. is the same as it's PC counterpart. If your question is Mac related, then click here for the new Mac FAQ. If you have a Mac question that is still not covered then by all means ask here.

To get it started...

Where can I find the latest patch?
www.destineerstudios.com

What if I want the latest patch for Mac OS 8.6 - 10.2?
www.versiontracker.com

Can I play against PC users?
Software incompatibilities makes it impossible to play against PC users.

Where can I play with Mac users online?
www.gameranger.com
Please note that a download is required and that Mac OS's prior to OS X are no longer supported. All Intel Macs are supported.

Also note: The Windows version had an original called 'Age of Empires II The Age of Kings', and an expansion called 'The Conquerors'. When the Mac version was ported the two titles were combined and called 'Age of Empires II Gold'. The Windows patches won't work on the Mac.
Replies:
posted 09-21-08 11:08 PM CT (US)     1 / 43  
Nice thread, seems we aren't much round here to use Mac.
posted 09-22-08 01:24 AM CT (US)     2 / 43  
Ooo, missed this thread. I could see how this would be helpful to our mac users, but I want to refrain giving it a stick (macs aren't widely used and there's not a whole lot of content in this thread)

n8, mind if I add this to the main G&SD FAQ (and credit to you, of course)?

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 09-22-2008 @ 01:25 AM).]

posted 09-24-08 05:06 PM CT (US)     3 / 43  
but I want to refrain giving it a stick (macs aren't widely used and there's not a whole lot of content in this thread)
If this grows and Mac users reply, I would prefer it stickied but I can understand if it isn't.
n8, mind if I add this to the main G&SD FAQ (and credit to you, of course)?
You certainly don't need my permission I'm just glad I can be of some help. There are probably more questions I missed but I guess I'll let them be asked first. I hope that more Mac users see this thread and site. Despite it's age (LOL) it's still a very popular game.

n8
posted 09-24-08 09:14 PM CT (US)     4 / 43  
If this grows and Mac users reply, I would prefer it stickied but I can understand if it isn't.
We don't get too many mac users, certainly not enough for a sticky to be successful, but I'd still like them to have somewhere to go. If we combine this with the main G&SD thread, mission accomplished.
You certainly don't need my permission I'm just glad I can be of some help. There are probably more questions I missed but I guess I'll let them be asked first. I hope that more Mac users see this thread and site. Despite it's age (LOL) it's still a very popular game.
Hey, you took the time to put it together, and I didn't know *any* of this information, so it's much appreciated that you're willing to help out.

If you know any questions that should be added to our Mac FAQ, please let me know so I can add them. The questions listed on here would be great additions. ^^

posted 09-25-08 07:27 AM CT (US)     5 / 43  
posted 09-25-08 07:52 AM CT (US)     6 / 43  
Hey there, I need someone with a Mac to test modding ( ie. changing the game data etc. ) under Mac. Especially for Mod Workshop ( my new modding tool ). Anyone with a Mac and wants to mod, please reply.

BTW, I understand that previously it was not possible to mod on a Mac at all. Now I believe it is theoretically possible. ( I can do it on linux ).

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 09-25-08 09:19 AM CT (US)     7 / 43  
Interesting thread. There are indeed not much Mac users around, but I dont see why not to sticky; it would be easier to answer all Mac issues, whatever they are, as this is not only a Mac Question thread, but the title says a Mac thread. I am no Mac user, but I still think this is worth a sticky; after all Mac is not just something small

Or, if Aro doezza want one sticky per system (or how to call it), it might be possible to put Mac,Linux etc etc in one thread?

Anyway, I leave such things to the mods and staff to decide =]

Cilibinarii
My AOK Maps
posted 10-04-08 00:46 AM CT (US)     8 / 43  
Are there many people who actually use gameranger for macs. Im trying to decide whether or not to buy AOC for my mac (laptop)So I can play it while not at home. Is it like IGZ where you can always get a game or is it more something you have to plan with a friend?
posted 10-07-08 09:04 PM CT (US)     9 / 43  
Are there many people who actually use gameranger for macs.
Depends on how you define 'many'. I have never played on IGZ but you can usually get a game in around the clock, albeit not a lot of choices. I haven't played on it in almost a year but I opened it and checked a minute ago...

132 users online
AoK = 2 games
AoEIII = 11 games (including expansions)
AoMythology = 1 game
Command and Conquer Generals = 1 game
Ghost Recon = 1 game
Homeworld II = 1 game
Star wars Battlefront = 1 game
Zero Hour = 1 game

There are other games you can play there but none were open at the time.
Im trying to decide whether or not to buy AOC for my mac (laptop)So I can play it while not at home.
I assume AOC = Age of Conan? If it does then that is not for Mac OS.

Still Gameranger is a good place for AoK and AoEIII (AoEI is no longer as it is too old).
posted 10-07-08 09:11 PM CT (US)     10 / 43  
I think AoC is Age of Conquerers.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 10-07-08 10:16 PM CT (US)     11 / 43  
Opps my bad, that makes more sense. Way too many acronyms to remember.

You should be good to go!
posted 10-27-08 11:24 PM CT (US)     12 / 43  
Getting out of sync errors? Then make sure that whom ever you play with has the same version of the game. That means everyone should be on 1.0.6 for OS 10.3.9+. If you use an older system then everyone should use 1.0.5. Note: This does not mean you will never get an out of sync error, it just means that if you are on a different patch then you can be assured of getting one.

Enjoy!
posted 10-28-08 04:05 AM CT (US)     13 / 43  
Well n8, as long as it gets support from you answering questions and giving updates, I'll sticky this. ^^

posted 10-28-08 04:13 AM CT (US)     14 / 43  
In a good mood Aro?

Of course I'll support it. It's like I'm a mod of my own little thread hehe.

I know there are more Mac users who play AoK out there, so maybe a sticky will help them see this. Anytime I see a Mac question outside of this thread I will be sure to point them here too.
posted 01-21-09 02:59 AM CT (US)     15 / 43  
I have a question. Why can't I set the game resolution to 1280 x 1024 even though my imac supports it?
I've got the gold version for OS X and the conquerors for XP running under bootcamp both installed on my mac. When in XP i can set the resolution to 1280 x 1024 but when in mac os, I can't.
I don't want to have to make a habit of gaming with the PC guys, but now the temptation's really there.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." -Friedrich Nietzsche

[This message has been edited by mullikine (edited 01-21-2009 @ 03:15 AM).]

posted 01-21-09 10:04 PM CT (US)     16 / 43  
I don't want to have to make a habit of gaming with the PC guys, but now the temptation's really there.
What??

"Scipio is more charismatic than you are." -Rocking Doom
"Scipio ... narcissistic ... overly arrogant cuckold ... noble souls and gentlemen, ... spare a second ... basic and ennui existence ... feeble pleasure ... his life more bearable ... monotony of stoic reality." *-Scud
"SCIPIO YOU SUN BITCH" -TOAO_Roland
posted 01-21-09 11:48 PM CT (US)     17 / 43  
Why can't I set the game resolution to 1280 x 1024 even though my imac supports it?
Not sure. Seems to be a software limit. My game does fine in 1280x1024. Write back and tell me...
Do you have the latest patch (1.0.6)?
Are you running Tiger or Leopard?

Something to make sure of. While opening Age II hold down 'command' until a little window with options comes up. Make sure "Force 256 colors" is unchecked, and make sure monitor refresh rate is on Auto.
No idea on that one
posted 01-29-09 04:16 AM CT (US)     18 / 43  
Thanks n8. I tried what you said, but it's still not working... I'm running Leopard too. I've also tried running it on an older model imac running Tiger with a screen the same size as mine (20") but I ran into the same problem. Very interesting... Still gaming with the mac guys btw. gr ftw!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." -Friedrich Nietzsche
posted 01-29-09 04:08 PM CT (US)     19 / 43  
Thanks n8. I tried what you said, but it's still not working... I'm running Leopard too. I've also tried running it on an older model imac running Tiger with a screen the same size as mine (20") but I ran into the same problem.
Delete the preferences for AoK and see if that helps. If not try out these threads I dug up from www.macrumors.comand see if it helps...Age of Empires 2 resolution problems
Other potential problems with AoK...age of empires 2 on the mac

n8
posted 01-29-09 04:30 PM CT (US)     20 / 43  
As long as you stay in the right parts, it's not as bad as you might think.

Would anyone happen to know if the PC version of Age of Empries II runs under Parallels correctly (using XP or Win2k)? I tried doing that in VMWare, but it would only show part of the screen (with the rest just being blank). Surprisingly, the original AoE game runs perfectly fine in it.

I probably wouldn't spend another $80 on it, but hey, I'm curious.
posted 01-29-09 08:55 PM CT (US)     21 / 43  
Would anyone happen to know if the PC version of Age of Empries II runs under Parallels correctly
I have no experience with Intel but this is what I found...Age of Empires on VMware?
posted 02-08-09 12:21 PM CT (US)     22 / 43  
I was wondering that too... My friend (for some fiendish reason) replaced all their PCs with Macs (Except for a PC laptop) and asked me if that would work. I told him to just play it on his laptop, but that wasn't the point.

"Scipio is more charismatic than you are." -Rocking Doom
"Scipio ... narcissistic ... overly arrogant cuckold ... noble souls and gentlemen, ... spare a second ... basic and ennui existence ... feeble pleasure ... his life more bearable ... monotony of stoic reality." *-Scud
"SCIPIO YOU SUN BITCH" -TOAO_Roland
posted 02-08-09 02:45 PM CT (US)     23 / 43  
You got a smart friend there Scipio. I would recommend using the Mac version of AoK or the Windows version under bootcamp as virtualization is hit or miss. Just remember how old AoK is.
posted 06-14-09 10:12 AM CT (US)     24 / 43  
So what? I'm just glad there IS a Mac version, and I think there should be a Linux/Ubuntu version.

"Preparation is not prevention. Just because you know what's coming does not mean you can stop it."
--Me

Something to remember: always know where you're going, but never forget where you came from.

The Age of Chivalry is upon us! Visit the only wiki devoted exclusively to Aoc:H by clicking on the preceding link. Oh yeah, and it works with the HD edition, too--just make sure to get this first.
posted 08-21-09 04:32 AM CT (US)     25 / 43  
Greetings, I am new here.

I recently made a scenario about the siege of Constantinople, and emailed the scx. file to my brother who tried to play it but sadly it didn't work.

I read here that you need also other files such as mp3's and avis etc. etc.

But I didn't make any new sounds or movies for it.

Do I still need to include them?

also, can I share scenarios made on my mac with windows players?

Can I please have help for my ignorance and problem please?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Official AoK Mac thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames