You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to create a spawning unit near a building, tested, 100% work!
posted 05-17-13 07:46 PM CT (US)   
First of all, thanks to AnimalMan that he paved the way to me towards a solution, now i'll explain the right way to have spawning units near building, idea taken from two intrestin RTS game, Rise of Nation:Thrones & Patriots, and the fantasy same-series game Rise of Legends.
In this tutorial i'll explain the procedure of that i have used as a try, so how to enable a militia(ID 74) spawning near a barracks(first ID 12) Only for the Goths, but you can use this guide to to enable any units near any building for every civs you want.
Follow the guide a Know issues list.

To be noted that I've done all this with Advanced Genie Editor v1.6, because i manage to use this version, so if you use a different version, or other program, i can't help you for eventually issues.

1.Add a new unit ID in the units Tab, or subscribe the *disabled unit ID, by enabling it from GAIA player(in my case, the new unit ID is 871)

2.Copy without the "include graphics" box checked, the building that you want to auto-spawn the unit(in my case is the barracks, first ID 12), and then past it on your new unit(ID 871)

3.Then, insert any graphic in the 871 unit's standing graphic string, in the "units" Tab, i've used the hand cannoneer's projectile graphic(3396), because is the much little, but soon i'll change it with a new graphic maded by me, a simple transmarent pixel, so you don't see nothing near building

4.After this, delete the ID number in the "dead unit ID" string in the "units" tab of the new unit(ID 871), by typing -1

5.Then copy(even without the "include graphic" box checked) the unit that you want being spawned, here i've copied a militia(ID 74), then paste this unit on a new or *disabled unit, i have pasted it on a new unit(ID 872)

6.Type the same standing graphic number of the unit ID 871 in that string(in my case 3396)

7.Set the dead unit ID of the unit ID 872 by typing -1

8.At the unit ID 871 set its HP to 1, not 0 or -1, then scrolling low, low, the list, you can find a string called "Stack unit", typing here the ID 872, or that used by you chosen unit

9.Then select in the upper bar of the program, the "Techage" Tab, add a new tech in the "Techage Slot", then add a new Effect in the "Effect Slot", switch in the right list and select "Upgrade unit", then type in the "Unit ID" string the number 872, or your units ID, after this, type in the "to unit ID" string the number of the unit that you want to spawn, in my case ID 74

10.Don't forget to enble the use of the techage by selecting in the upper bar of the program the "Research" Tab

11.After This, find in the units list the building that you want to spawn the unit, in my case, the barracks (First ID 12),scroll low, low, and find the strings called "Annex unit", and, in the "Annex Unit 1" string, type the ID 871, or the ID of your chosen unit

12.Now, under the "Annex Unit 1"string, there is another splitted string, here type respectively -2 and 2, so the new unit spawn at the south-angle of the building, like a normal-created unit

Know issues

The new unit spawned benefit every research improves, except the unit-line upgrades(in my case the militia-line upgrades), but you can resolve this issues by a simply research-techage trick...simply create a new free research that auto-upgrade the unit when the original upgrade line being researched, or you can use this issues as a sympathetic system to have both the militia and man-at-arms(in my case the militia-line)

Another issues, that for me isn't an issues, is that this bonus of the free unit that spawn near a building, create a strategic advantage/disadvantage, because if you reach the population limit, you just need to build other building and you can pass the limit with the free units... but i never reach the population limit!

When you Age Up, some building, in this case the First stage of Barracks(ID 12), auto upgrade to another building, in This case a feudal Barracks (ID 498), this upgrade makes losing the barracks the spawning abilities, so you MUST repeat the steps #11 & #12 to all of the chosen building upgrades

If you don't insert a standing graphic at the step #3 & #6, the game crash!

To create different annexed unit to different civilization, you MUST create other Annex Unit(in my case ID 871), because the annex unit for the building(ID 871) require the same building time of the building where is annexed, same mode, the stack unit(ID 872) in the annex unit(ID 871) require as a base the same unit, if you don't keep attention on this,for example, you'll end up with a militia that benefits the archer bonuses instead the infantry bonuses

For other issues or suggest, fell free to tell it to me here!

Sorry for my English, i'm Italian.

Here are some screens:

[This message has been edited by AFFA the cleric (edited 05-20-2013 @ 12:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-17-13 07:54 PM CT (US)     1 / 30  
have you tested the population limit? does it actually go over? if it does, to make it look tidier you could make the spawned unit provide its own population this will mean when you hit 200/200 it wont go 201/200 it will go 201/201 instead.
posted 05-17-13 08:21 PM CT (US)     2 / 30  
Hahaha, this reminds me of Command & Conquer's Refinery (which always came with a free harvester)... I can already imagine building a new TC with a free scout or a villager

"Seriously, if human stupidity could be used as a source of power wed already be a class-III civilization and our rockets wouldve reached Andromeda by now."
« Cliffs! (4.5) »

["The prequels were great. They had some unironic high moments, laughable low points, and a cornucopia of memes. The sequels are just porridge and white noise." -Some internet rando.]

[This message has been edited by Lurkur (edited 05-17-2013 @ 08:22 PM).]

posted 05-17-13 08:31 PM CT (US)     3 / 30  
Hahaha, this reminds me of Command & Conquer's Refinery (which always came with a free harvester)... I can already imagine building a new TC with a free scout or a villager
Make the villager builder into a static TC with 20 range and it should be able to build things within 20 cells and you have yourself a Conyard... In theory.
posted 05-18-13 03:31 AM CT (US)     4 / 30  
shouldn't this tutorial be in the University?

posted 05-18-13 07:22 AM CT (US)     5 / 30  
I've tried to play this game, but... is MUCH caotic! Uncontrollable!
Make the villager builder into a static TC with 20 range and it should be able to build things within 20 cells and you have yourself a Conyard... In theory.
I can't find the utility of this!
shouldn't this tutorial be in the University?
already, I think I have insert it in the wrong section...excuse me!
have you tested the population limit? does it actually go over? if it does, to make it look tidier you could make the spawned unit provide its own population this will mean when you hit 200/200 it wont go 201/200 it will go 201/201 instead.
Yes, the spawned unit have its population capacity/limit, but when i reach the population limit an build a barracks, the spowned militia make the 201/200 limit...I haven't been able to solve this problem.
posted 05-18-13 01:00 PM CT (US)     6 / 30  
you could disable the free infantry spawn during Castle or Imperial age? then you are less likely to hit your population limit by upgrading the invisible building that dies into militia into an invisible building that dies into nothing

[This message has been edited by AnimalMan (edited 05-18-2013 @ 01:01 PM).]

posted 05-18-13 01:09 PM CT (US)     7 / 30  
Its a good idea, but...for some spawning unit that i have think to add to other civs, is required the Imperial age, for example, for the Turks i want to able a spawning Jannissary for every castle builded, or, for britons, a free archer for every archery range builded, that in imperial age, upgrade this spawning archer line to a longbowman, or for the byzantine, +125% cost of universities, and after chemistry has researched, 2 spawning Greek Flamethrower for every university builded, etc... so i need the spawning unit from dark age to Imerial age...
posted 05-18-13 01:18 PM CT (US)     8 / 30  
2 spawning Greek Flamethrower
:P

Would that be the fire siphon?

why not spawn at Siege Workshop? boost its power and armor and have it spawn only once?
posted 05-18-13 02:12 PM CT (US)     9 / 30  
I can do it, but, I'm sorry if my ask, I forgot the answer, what civilization should use the fire siphon?
posted 05-18-13 02:17 PM CT (US)     10 / 30  
It can be used by Byzantines or chinese.(but as far as i know chinese dont used that kind of weapon only the bizantines)
posted 05-18-13 02:19 PM CT (US)     11 / 30  
Thanks for the suggestion Monster!
posted 05-18-13 03:16 PM CT (US)     12 / 30  
Very good tutorial, Affa! I think a mod will move it to the AOKH Guild or the University anyway.

As a side note, if you think the player will cheat by constructing barracks every time to get free units, you can just add a limit to the barracks, so that you cannot have too many.

"Vous vous rendez compte, la France est le seul pays au monde où l'on recycle toujours les mêmes hommes politiques, même lorsqu'ils ont échoué !" Nicolas Dupont-Aignan

AGE OF VOIVODS
Still looking for DANISH, UKRAINIAN, LITHUANIAN and HUNGARIAN voices.
posted 05-18-13 03:21 PM CT (US)     13 / 30  
Thanks fr steve, but a limit of basic building like barracks cause a disadvantage to game, beause if enemy destroy all my limited barracks, i can't train infantry unit in the game!
posted 05-18-13 03:29 PM CT (US)     14 / 30  
No, you can make that limit to be adaptative. I mean, if you forbid to build more than 5 barracks, own 5 barracks, and one of them is destroyed, you then own 4 barracks but can still rebuild a 5th one. That's what I did with my mercenaries in Age of Voivods: they cost a unique resource that I own from the beginning of the game, but their corpses give me back that resource. You can do that with the rubbles of the buildings then

"Vous vous rendez compte, la France est le seul pays au monde où l'on recycle toujours les mêmes hommes politiques, même lorsqu'ils ont échoué !" Nicolas Dupont-Aignan

AGE OF VOIVODS

[This message has been edited by fr steve (edited 05-18-2013 @ 03:29 PM).]

posted 05-18-13 03:36 PM CT (US)     15 / 30  
Sure Steve! you are a genius! Can you tell me how can i set this adaptive limits?
posted 05-18-13 03:44 PM CT (US)     16 / 30  
Well, I don't have my files on this computer, but I think I remember how I did:

-create a Techage that will give you an amount of a not-used resource (14 for example) from the beginning of the game. Let's say 5 (we'll take the barracks as an example);
-go in Units slot, select the Barracks, and make it cost 1 of your not-used resource. This way, you'll still have 4 of this not-used resource once you build your first barracks;
-create a new unit, and paste over it the Rubble 4x4 unit (size of the Barrakcs if I'm not wrong). Then, find the Storage amount lines, and make it give you 1 of this not used resource (I don't remember however the two numbers you must put in the two other boxes, I'll have to check that);
-now, go back to the Barracks and change its Dead unit ID to give it your new Rubble unit. Now, when your barracks will 'die', you'll have your not-used resource back thanks to the Rubble.

Hopefully I made it clear, and above all forgot nothing. I think I should add that on the University myself Tell me if this works, Affa

AGE OF VOIVODS

[This message has been edited by fr steve (edited 05-18-2013 @ 03:45 PM).]

posted 05-18-13 03:54 PM CT (US)     17 / 30  
Thanks for the mini tutorial, but i've not understand a bit of thing, because i don't know perfectly much english terms... sorry, can you explicate better how can i create an amount of a not-used resource, and the cost 1 of the barracks is the wood, if i replace it, the barracks can be build free?!?!? sorry again for this question.
posted 05-18-13 04:14 PM CT (US)     18 / 30  
For the amount of not-used resource, you must go in the Techage slot. Then, you must choose the effect Resource modifier or I don't remember the exact words. It's here you must set the amount of this resource you wish to have from the beginning. Don't forget to create a Research too for this Techage (as a prerequisite Reasearch, just choose the Dark age).

And for the cost, no, you mustn't overwrite the wood cost, you can just fill the line below, as if the barracks cost a 2nd resource, which will be this not-used resource. You know, wonders and towers cost more than one resource.

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 05-18-13 04:22 PM CT (US)     19 / 30  
Ok, thanks again steve! but another thing... there are much than 1 resource modifier effect, which should I use, and how i complete the respective strings?
posted 05-18-13 04:27 PM CT (US)     20 / 30  
I need to check that, AGE isn't on this computer. I'll tell you that tomorrow

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 05-18-13 04:42 PM CT (US)     21 / 30  
Thanks fr steve, and sorry for the bother

Improved above tutorial!

[This message has been edited by AFFA the cleric (edited 05-19-2013 @ 12:22 PM).]

posted 05-21-13 06:59 AM CT (US)     22 / 30  
This is old considering I made a thread about spawning annex units years ago.

So this really isn't new.

Congratulations on working out how it's done though!

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 05-21-2013 @ 07:01 AM).]

posted 05-21-13 07:37 AM CT (US)     23 / 30  
I didn't know that already existed, sorry
posted 05-21-13 02:34 PM CT (US)     24 / 30  
What if you make your number of TC's affect the number of other buildings, so the TC becomes like a building's house? I think that would add to the empirey-ness of Age of "Empires."
posted 05-21-13 04:34 PM CT (US)     25 / 30  
Ciao Affa! Sorry for the late reply, I finally checked my mercenaries.
So, as I told you, in the Dark Age techage for example, you add a Resource Modifier, let's say Resource 15, you activate the mode 1 (which means +, id est, adding resources), and you choose your amount.

Then, you go to your new rubbles as I told you to do, and in one of the Storage resource boxes line, you type Resource 15, and 1 in both two other boxes (so you'll see 15--1--1. And then, when you'll build your barracks as I told you to do (costing 1 Resource 15), you'll get back this Resource 15 once it is destroyed.

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 05-21-13 04:56 PM CT (US)     26 / 30  
Oh fantastic! But i havent undarstand this step:
you add a Resource Modifier, let's say Resource 15, you activate the mode 1 (which means +, id est, adding resources), and you choose your amount.
I'm sorry but I have difficulty understanding English, and so I would prefer if you could make a tutorial step by step as my above, I'm sorry for the bother!

Don't explicate me anymore! I have Read and Re-Read your suggest, and finnally i've understood it! It work perfectly! And now i have used it to make in game a Unique hero or general for every civs, but a hero that give a bonus to my civ when the hero be trained, and a counter-effect when the hero die!

Thanks Fr Steve, because you have saved me from a bothering issues that i encountered when i haved found myself an alternative mode to create a Onetime-trained Unit like Hero!

[This message has been edited by AFFA the cleric (edited 05-22-2013 @ 02:48 PM).]

posted 05-23-13 09:01 AM CT (US)     27 / 30  
Sorry for double post.
you'll get back this Resource 15 once it is destroyed.
Sorry fr steve, but this don't work, i've tested it to create a 5 limited infantry, sure, when i train 5 units the train button block me to produce other, but when one of this 5 unit die, i can produce infinite unit of those...
posted 05-23-13 09:07 AM CT (US)     28 / 30  
Affa, I wrote a complete article about this method today at the University. You might go check it, there are even screenshots

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 05-23-13 09:53 AM CT (US)     29 / 30  
Sorry fr steve, but this don't work, i've tested it to create a 5 limited infantry, sure, when i train 5 units the train button block me to produce other, but when one of this 5 unit die, i can produce infinite unit of those...
Affa it does work. you need to set "Enable Mode*" = 2 (resets on death)
posted 05-23-13 10:10 AM CT (US)     30 / 30  
No no, enable must be 1, i've commited a mistake with dead annex unit, now i'solved the problem!
Thank's Guys!

[This message has been edited by AFFA the cleric (edited 05-24-2013 @ 05:50 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » How to create a spawning unit near a building, tested, 100% work!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames