Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Some discoveries about the Charging Mode in the .dat
posted 01-19-16 02:16 PM CT (US)   
Hello everyone!

Some days ago, JustTesting1234 and me were doing some tests around the "Charging Mode" value in the .dat and he made some very interesting discoveries about that value and asked me to post about them:

• Changing this value to 1 would allow the unit, while 100% idle (that is, while it's not attacking or persecuting any enemy unit), to only receive 1/3 of the damage that is being inflicted against it, while it using the "Charging Graphic".

• Changing this value to 2 would allow the unit to immediately inflict damage against an enemy unit that just attacked it (if this enemy unit has less than 0.2 range), while it uses the "Charging Graphic". It would also make the unit display the "Charging Graphic" if an enemy unit is near

• Changing this value to 3 would make the unit switch to "Charging Graphic" once it's two tiles away from the enemy unit that it is about to attack and inflict 2X more damage against it in the first hit, besides of forcing the unit to walk toward the enemy, even if it's ranged

I hope you guys make a good use of it! ^^

PS: He also found out that the Edible Meat, Attack Mode and Placement Mode variables in the .dat are obsolete in AoKTC

The Portuguese Civ Mod III - Download at the Blacksmith
A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)

[This message has been edited by danielpereira (edited 01-19-2016 @ 05:40 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-19-16 02:44 PM CT (US)     1 / 25  
That's a brilliant discovery Daniel ! I can already see many cool applications it could have, great job to both of you.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 01-19-16 04:16 PM CT (US)     2 / 25  
This is amazing! I have a few ideas of where to use this.
posted 01-20-16 02:01 AM CT (US)     3 / 25  
Wow its a great discovery I think this will have lot of use for creating UU's.
1.Testudo formation/shield wall
2.Spear wall
3.Cavalry charge

Something I saw when I was playing around with this charging graphic was it will auto change in to the charge graphic like the 3rd point and when assigned to patrol it also uses the charging graphic.

All we now need are graphic designers to make the additional frames.Can you guys check on the second idle and death parts maybe those have other uses.

[This message has been edited by Mahazona (edited 01-20-2016 @ 06:46 AM).]

posted 01-20-16 02:02 AM CT (US)     4 / 25  
Can you clarify the first point? How do you get it to charge in the first place?
posted 01-20-16 04:00 AM CT (US)     5 / 25  
By assigning charging graphic and setting charging mode to 3 and then commanding your unit to attack a target unit that is over 2 tiles away.

Advanced Genie Editor
Follow coding here and here.
posted 01-20-16 03:11 PM CT (US)     6 / 25  
This is incredibly interesting stuff! And it's fascinating to see that some more advanced combat elements were implemented in AoK, but not actually used. I know this was the case for AoE3 (regrettably so, the combat in that game was awfully out of date) but not for AoK. Looks like they were further ahead of the curve than I thought.

Just to clarify on these various uses:
1. In this case the term charging mode is entirely incorrect, right, and the unit is standing still and only receiving damage rather than inflicting any? When would the 'charging graphic' trigger?

3. Does this have a cooldown effect of sorts? If you charge an enemy and immediately pull out, then charge again, will both attacks deal 2x damage? Or does the charge need to take up 2 tiles or something to take effect? If it can be used again immediately, I can kind of see why this was taken out.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 01-20-16 03:23 PM CT (US)     7 / 25  
Thanks for the kind words of you all, guys!
1. In this case the term charging mode is entirely incorrect, right, and the unit is standing still and only receiving damage rather than inflicting any? When would the 'charging graphic' trigger?
Yes, exactly. And the "Charging Graphic" would trigger once the unit is attacked.
3. Does this have a cooldown effect of sorts? If you charge an enemy and immediately pull out, then charge again, will both attacks deal 2x damage? Or does the charge need to take up 2 tiles or something to take effect? If it can be used again immediately, I can kind of see why this was taken out. :P
Well, I don't know :P
Either way, it wouldn't be hard to change the attack multiplying factor, I guess....

The Portuguese Civ Mod III - Download at the Blacksmith
A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)
posted 01-20-16 04:02 PM CT (US)     8 / 25  
Seems like they would cancel each other out.
posted 01-20-16 05:25 PM CT (US)     9 / 25  
Amazing discoveries, Justtesting and danielpereira!

So many possibilities... and I have to agree to Kor, it's interesting to see the planned features that went unused.

I makes me happy how even 17 years later, old/new features are discovered.
posted 01-20-16 07:43 PM CT (US)     10 / 25  
I just want to echo how many interesting possibilities this opens up - particularly since you can attach a speed modifier to a graphic. Really nice finds!
And it's fascinating to see that some more advanced combat elements were implemented in AoK, but not actually used.
According to this book, there were attack bonuses for flanking at one point. And monks with relics used to have an aura effect improving your troops. Cut features are quite the interesting topic.

AoK: Realms
Adds Armenians, Balts, Bamars, Bohemians, Bulgars, Burgundians, Chimus, Dutch, Helvetians, Jurchens, Khmers, Malays, Mandinkas, Moors, Muisca, Tamils, Tufans, Turcomans, and Viets

Proteus and Genie Converter - AKX installers for modern times
posted 01-21-16 11:48 AM CT (US)     11 / 25  
This is some really cool stuff. The idea of an extra "dimension" to unit combat in AoE2 is a very appealing idea!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 02-06-16 04:07 AM CT (US)     12 / 25  
Did you guys test this with different types of units?I think it has different effects based on the type of unit.
I tried using the frankish paladin and gave value 3 and the unit returns back after going close to the target.
I tried using the mangudai when ordered to attack it charges to the enemy like a melee unit and attacks from close range but if you let it auto attack something it uses the normal ranged attack.Normal attack graphic gets used from the ranged attack and you can give a melee attack animation by giving the proceeding animation.

[This message has been edited by Mahazona (edited 02-06-2016 @ 05:53 AM).]

posted 06-06-16 06:51 PM CT (US)     13 / 25  
So spearmen could use the "charging attack" as a counter charge (deal damage when damage is dealt to them) making them a great defensive unit despite poor offense?

Then cavalry could use the charging attack to do double damage if they can charge? Or do they do double damage every attack then (despite how far they are from the target when they initiate their attack)?

I have some experimenting to do.
posted 06-06-16 06:55 PM CT (US)     14 / 25  
I tried using the mangudai when ordered to attack it charges to the enemy like a melee unit and attacks from close range but if you let it auto attack something it uses the normal ranged attack.Normal attack graphic gets used from the ranged attack and you can give a melee attack animation by giving the proceeding animation.
So you could make a cataphract that uses a bow at a distance and a sword up close!?

Or legionnaire that throws a spear at a distance but hits with 3x the damage up close?!

This is perfect for elephant archers, chariots, catphracts, etc...

Oh this is going to totally change my dark ages mod if this works like I think it will!
posted 06-06-16 07:47 PM CT (US)     15 / 25  
Okay, I came home to do some testing and...

I don't see charging mode on AGE3. Is there a newer editor that has this? Or an Age3 equivalent?

Never mind. It's in the 2016 version!

[This message has been edited by Dave3377 (edited 06-06-2016 @ 10:13 PM).]

posted 06-06-16 10:21 PM CT (US)     16 / 25  
Oh that was disappointing.

Everything works as it is listed, but the AI won't utilize these options!

Only the blocking option will work without the player manually telling the units to do it. But even then, the units will try to engage the enemy immediately, keeping most of the units from even attempting a block as they are no longer "idle" once they pursue the enemy.

I also don't see how the counter charge is useful at all. The unit will take his counter charge stance when attacked, but only if you have him set to "stand ground" or "no attack stance." Otherwise he will flee or pursue the enemy and attack normally. Then when the enemy attacks the unit basically just deals the enemy damage as it would if you didn't have this "ability" enabled and had it on "stand ground."
posted 12-12-16 03:15 AM CT (US)     17 / 25  
Original description on the changing abilities.

Special Attacks and Defenses

None of the AGE2 special attacks are currently enabled.

Shield Wall

This applies to swordsmen and heavy swordsmen units. When alert (facing a missile attack), these units will raise their shields before them. While in this state they receive an additional +1 pierce armor modifier. If the units attack or move, this modifier is nullified. If the units are not facing a missile attack, they will not execute this defense but they will turn toward the attack so that they may defend against a second.

Pikeman Lunge

Pikemen have the ability to close the last three tiles between themselves and a mounted foe at a pace quicker than their normal movement rate. This is automatic and happens any time a pike unit targets a mounted enemy and closes to within this distance.

Set Against Charge

When idle, pikemen will set their pikes against a charge. If attacked by lance cavalry while in this state, pikemen will do triple their normal damage on the first attack. If pikemen are moved or given orders to attack, this bonus is nullified. If they are attacked from the rear or flanks this bonus does not apply.

Charge

Lance Cavalry, Paladins, and Knights may charge opponents to inflict a double damage attack. This special attack is executed by selecting the appropriate unit or units, clicking the special attack UI button, and selecting a target. The selected cavalry units will then charge their given target. Alternately, this order can be given by double right clicking the target. Charging units must be at least 2 tiles from their target to charge.

Similar to the priests conversion attack in Age of Empires, the charge attack may be done only when there is enough power to execute it. After a charge attack, units must rest for a period of time (60 seconds, base) before the option is available again. During this time, they may perform all other actions as normal. An indicator will appear on the UI to show a player the recharge status of this attack. While unavailable, the special attack button on the UI will be grayed out.

Any charge attacks targeted at pikemen who are set against charge will increase the pikemen bonus (normally triple damage) to quadruple damage.
posted 12-12-16 07:55 AM CT (US)     18 / 25  
https://www.scribd.com/document/318886164/AGE-2-Design-Document

Mahazona, do you happen to have this document as .pdf file?
posted 12-12-16 08:36 AM CT (US)     19 / 25  
I also downloaded from that link.
posted 12-12-16 11:36 AM CT (US)     20 / 25  
Unfortunately none of the units have the shield wall/pike wall/charging SLP, otherwise it would be possible for us to bring these feature back.

AoK Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts (Doppelsöldner) - 5 variations

RoN Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts
posted 12-12-16 02:43 PM CT (US)     21 / 25  
Unfortunately none of the units have the shield wall/pike wall/charging SLP, otherwise it would be possible for us to bring these feature back.
Mhmmm...let me think...

Maybe, you could use the like wolf attacking system, create the shield wall/pike wall/charging SLP, then adding it like the wolf attack, and use the "New Speed" string in the Graphics tab of your shield wall/pike wall/charging SLP, then use the charge mode function explained in this thread, and seems could works, just needs confirmation!
posted 12-12-16 06:22 PM CT (US)     22 / 25  
Shield wall animation is there in the graphics.drs for one unit,its the beta long swordsman. I have seen the rest of the unit slps too.
posted 03-03-17 11:17 AM CT (US)     23 / 25  
I finally test the charge number 3 here and I found it more or less similar to the charge ability that the wild wolves have, but the charge mode 3 have reduced in range activation and the 1st hit bonus damage, and now, I consider it still useless due the fact that it activates only if manually ordered, if the unit with charge mode 3 auto-attacks an enemy, it will not charges, remaining a normal standard unit like all the others ones, also the AI unit with charge ability 3 simply don't use it in any way, so it will be unbalanced, if only human players could use it!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY GAME VERSION:

Age of Empires II The Conquerors 1.0 without any patches, just the ES release in August 24th 2000, proud to playing this game version!
posted 03-03-17 11:29 AM CT (US)     24 / 25  
so units do actually have a front, a rear and a flank in combat situation? could this be applied to towers or ships?
posted 03-03-17 12:33 PM CT (US)     25 / 25  
I don't know about that, maybe units and buildings have an auto fron tirection depending on the side where they are watchings, and automatically the other corresponding sides are considered to be flanks and rear, but due all the units (except the ships) and buildings have instantly rotation speed, it will be more or less useless to take i.e. an archer line from rear due they can instantly turn back and nullyfy the rear damage bonuses!

Also about my post above, no one knows a way to get the charge to be used automatically by units that auto-attacks and by AI?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY GAME VERSION:

Age of Empires II The Conquerors 1.0 without any patches, just the ES release in August 24th 2000, proud to playing this game version!
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Some discoveries about the Charging Mode in the .dat
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames