Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Map Game: 13th Century
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 29  Next Page »
posted 12-10-12 11:38 AM CT (US)   

Map Game: 13th Century

Hi everyone! The game has begun but you can still join it!

The game starts in 1200 AD, and occures from Western Europe to Ural/Caucasus, and from Iceland to Maghreb. Here is the map:

How to play?

First, you must choose a nation. All coloured nations can be chosen, but you can only choose one. Some nations aren't totally independent or united but you can still choose them since they historically could have become independent during the Middle Ages and remain interesting enough to deserve to be played separately.

You cannot choose a nation in white. The reasons are multiple: rather unexciting, not at all or almost not a united nation, no historical logic chance to forge an empire in 1200, etc.

Once your nation is chosen, the game begins. You will be given a summary of what just happened in your nation in 1200 and useful information about it. Then, you will have to write some actions you wish to do in your nation, as if you were its ruler. These may be administrative reforms, recruitment of an army, invasion of a country, suppression of insurgency, trading, construction of a war fleet...

Every time you do important actions, I, the Dungeonist (or Dungeon master if you prefer) will write the consequences of your action, which can be various. Although I'll surely be a bit subjective, these consequences will rely on historical and logical probability.

The Dungeonist will often describe events happening in the world, like a non-playable/non-played country invading a territory or suffering from an invasion, riots happening in your country, a revolutionary invention, etc. It will be up to you to decide what to do depending on these events.

Once enough actions are done, or if all players have done actions, a year will elapse, and new events will occure, following what happened during the new year in real history.

A unique feature I invented is the Unbreakable alliance : when you trust enough a player (and not a non-playable/non-played nation), you may seal an alliance with him/her that will never be broken. Which means that a treason, invasion, incitement to rebellion, etc. in order to harm your ally will be declared null and void. So think carefully when you seal such kind of alliance. This doesn't mean you cannot seal a simple alliance though.

The game will end:
-if the game lasts long enough to reach year 1492 (generally admitted to be the end of the Middle Ages);
-when only one religion remains and if all members of this religion aren't warring;
-when countries forming an unbreakable alliance have vanquished all other players and playable countries.

Additional rules

1) All playable nations don't require a player for the game to begin. Nevertheless, the more you are, the nicest it will be!

2) Even when the game has begun, you can still join it.

3) The Dungeonist IS the master of this game. All he says must be taken in account. However, if he makes a statement and more than 50% of players think the Dungeonist is doing wrong, he will revise his statement.

4) This game is a fun but historical game. Fun means you are not forced to follow History to perform your actions and may do things that didn't happen in history. Historical means you cannot do things that History would have never retained. This is linked to logic. For instance:
-when a battle occures, size of armies, equipment, historical tactics (if there are), etc. will be taken in account;
-when you invade a country, the might and historical context of the country you invade will also affect your invasion (religion, feeling about the invader...). This may depend on what you did before though, so the Dungeonist won't necessarily be harsh with you.

5) There are things you obviously cannot do: using anachronistic inventions, conquering a land off the map, invoking godly powers, using magic... If you doubt about the plausibility of an action while I accepted it, please tell it.

6) If you are not sure about the plausibility of an action you wish to do, you can tell me so that I answer you or make researches about it. The Dungeonist may however not find an answer to your question.

7) You must talk in 3rd person when doing your actions, like this: 'The king does...', 'Poland sends troops over...' or even 'Der König attacks...'.

8) You must bold your actions such as I do.

9) If more than 50% of players think the game is being unfinishable, they may vote in order to end the game.

10) A defeated player may re-play as another playable nation if he wishes to.

Now, enough rules! You can choose among the 45 coloured nations on the map. Again, remember some of them aren't united yet, so I may ask you what entity of the nation you wish to play initially (Powys in Wales, for example). It will then be your job to unite all other entities, which is easily feasible.
However, I don't advise you to play the whole Holy Roman Empire, since it really may be damn awkward to play it altogether. You may if you wish, but I rather advise you to play a state of it, such as Bavaria, Flanders, Swiss confederation, Alsace... If you do so, I'll then draw your borders on the map.

If you don't know where's a country or want more info about it, please tell me and I'll tell you what you need to know.

And now, let the game begins!

Players:

-Taichud: Kipchak confederacy
-Jetkill Fastmurder: Kingdom of England
-John the Late: Kingdom of Norway
-Den cekke: Duchy of Brabant
-Mozzarella Man: Kingdom of Poland
-Lazarus II: Byzantine Empire
-HockeySam18: Kingdom of Hungary
-Danielpereira: Bulgarian Empire
-Popeychops: Kingdom of Italy
-Julius999: Papal States
-Dead_End: County of Holland
-Davos: Ayyubid Sultanate
-Excelsior: Kingdom of Scotland
-Jetkill Fastmurder: Holy Roman Empire
-Dannflor: Kingdom of France
-RedHandedJill: Kingdom of Aragon

"Vous vous rendez compte, la France est le seul pays au monde où l'on recycle toujours les mêmes hommes politiques, même lorsqu'ils ont échoué !" Nicolas Dupont-Aignan

AGE OF VOIVODS
Still looking for DANISH, UKRAINIAN, LITHUANIAN and HUNGARIAN voices.

[This message has been edited by fr steve (edited 01-16-2013 @ 01:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-13-12 07:48 PM CT (US)     76 / 704  
The mongols faced many foes in their conquest and most of the time much bigger empires than the European ones. If you look at how easy they ran over the Eastern-European Christian nations who often formed coalitions against these invaders while the mongols were fighting at the same time in the middle east and the far east I think that counts as "multiple foes on multiple fronts".

And yeah the crusades did conquer Jerusalem but you also have to consider that the Muslim factions were divided and were fighting each other as well. The Abbasids around that time had very little power and were weakened by the Seljuk Turks. Once the Muslims united they were able to fight off the invading crusaders.
posted 12-13-12 11:45 PM CT (US)     77 / 704  
Greater Poland because it's greater than the rest.

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
I too always thought "blog" would sound less silly as the years went by.
Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman
posted 12-14-12 02:08 AM CT (US)     78 / 704  
So when are we actually starting? I have a feeling Guthan isn't coming
He indeed didn't answer me, so we're gonna start without him. I just needed to sleep
More importantly, I don't feel Taichud should be able to "ask for help" from any off-map power, since that does remove an element of balance from the game.
He won't ask help. The Mongols will go when the year of invasion comes, and he'll have to fight them. Personally, I think, he'll get crushed but who knows: if he finds the good allies, flees somewhere, allies with them... The fact is, if the Kipchak confederacy is beaten, Taichud will play another nation. And since Mongols will be a new nation, I think it won't be too unfair if he chooses to play them.
Actually, even if Taichud doesn't choose the Mongols later, the Mongols will still move westward, even if no one plays them. But you'll see how things go when we'll reach this year
Also, if nobody is playing as the HRE, can you split it up into its historical constituent parts, please?
I'd like, but not only there are SO MANY states that it'd be impossible to draw them all, but it's also work for me Well... I'll see what I can do, but you won't see these borders right now. I'll draw them during the game (except for Brabant, which is already done )
Greater Poland because it's greater than the rest
Excellent choice!

Okay people, the game will begin. But first, I must post all the summaries of your nations. It won't be that long, but it'll still take some little hours I think, but you'll play today, promised. So don't play until you see this huge post I'm doing. Then, you may play.

"Vous vous rendez compte, la France est le seul pays au monde où l'on recycle toujours les mêmes hommes politiques, même lorsqu'ils ont échoué !" Nicolas Dupont-Aignan

AGE OF VOIVODS

[This message has been edited by fr steve (edited 12-14-2012 @ 04:19 AM).]

posted 12-14-12 02:40 AM CT (US)     79 / 704  
Brabant ftw.
posted 12-14-12 04:58 AM CT (US)     80 / 704  
Where's Brabant in the map?
posted 12-14-12 06:19 AM CT (US)     81 / 704  
Brabant is part of what is now Belgium.
The mongols faced many foes in their conquest and most of the time much bigger empires than the European ones.
Do you mean bigger geographically or militarily?
Muslim factions were divided and were fighting each other as well.
...Remind you of my original point? Like I said, this conversation is so speculative there's no right or wrong answer.
Well... I'll see what I can do, but you won't see these borders right now.
Cheers, steve. I was just thinking about the major nations like Austria, Bohemia, since it's not really fair to lump them in as one while Milan is outside.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 12-14-2012 @ 06:20 AM).]

posted 12-14-12 08:48 AM CT (US)     82 / 704  
Looks like I will stay the Kingdom of Norway
posted 12-14-12 09:39 AM CT (US)     83 / 704  
Do you mean bigger geographically or militarily
I don't want to sound like a Asiacentric, but both . The empires in Asia were both bigger and could deploy armies tenfold of what the small European kingdoms, duchies and counties could raise. The European states simply did not have the manpower to have hundreds of thousands of soldiers deployed in one battle as the Khwarezmids, Jin, Song and Delhi Sultanate did. (As not to piss off the British patriots here any further , the YouTube Channel Crash Course has said that it was actually because of the low population and high wages that the Industrial Revolution happened, because in order to gain a massive industrial capacity, European companies, in particular in Britain, wanted to find alternatives to using sheer manpower which was not necessary in India or China where there was a high population and wages were low).

[This message has been edited by Taichud (edited 12-14-2012 @ 09:40 AM).]

posted 12-14-12 10:42 AM CT (US)     84 / 704  

KINGDOM OF ITALY
Popeychops

Current leader: None
Capital: None
Religion: Catholic Christianity
Population: about 2,000,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Piedmontese, Lombard and Tuscan
Diplomacy in 1200: Recent but fragile truce with the Holy Roman Empire ; mixed relations with the Papal States

You live in the Kingdom of Italy. Alas, it is a kingdom only by its name. Indeed, the numerous Italian cities which inhabited it seem to be attached to their autonomy and privileges, and the divisions between the Guelfs, supporters of the Papacy, and the Ghibellines, supporters of the Holy Roman Emperor, are detrimental to a union. If you already allied together recently, not only these alliances were provisional, but they aslo didn't aim to elect a leader to head them all. However, you, podestà (basically, mayor) of Milan do not see the things like this: you are all Italians. You nearly share the same languages, and have nothing in common with the Germans,
who are nonetheless your suzerains. Your population is above all urban and mercantile, theirs is rural and knightly. United, you Italians could absolutely form a viable, rich and powerful state. You already proved to be able to outface the Empire when the Lombard leagues defeated Frederick Barbarossa decades ago. It is possible. The problem is, Milan must recover from the last war. Your territory is wretched compared with Florence's, and you must clearly decide which party to take among the Pope or the Emperor. Whatever the choice you make, some people will be unhappy. You just need to take the good one if you wish to lead the entire Northern Italy and emancipate from the Empire or the Papacy.

KINGDOM OF POLAND
Mozzarella Man

Current leader: Mieszko III the Old
Capital: Krakow for the kingdom, Poznan for Greater Poland
Population: about 1,500,000 inhabitants
Main language: Polish
Diplomacy in 1200: Very bad relations with other Polish duchies ; war declared to the Slavic pagans of Pomerelia ; good relations with the Holy Roman Empire ; German immigration

Mieszko the Old, duke of Greater Poland, is de jure, princeps/king of Poland. Almost 62 years ago, Poland was a united and powerful kingdom, until Boleslas III died and decided to split his kingdom in four duchies, so that all his sons have a part of it: Mazovia, Lower Silesia, Lesser Poland/Sandomierz, and Greater Poland. The one who rules the last one is considered as the king of Poland. But your respective ambitions were disastrous for the kingdom's unity, and now, after years of war with your brothers and nephews, a fragile truce has been settled, while you are the leader of Greater Poland but not totally of the whole country. It's time to change it! The people is looking forward to see again his country being a strong nation, which is necessary today: the Kachubs of Pomerelia northerly and Baltic people eastward stain the map of Europe because of their paganism, while the powerful nations of Denmark, Bohemia, Hungary and Galicia are being threatening. Fortunately, your relations with the Holy Roman Emperor are better than some years ago, but you remain his vassal, a thing you cannot tolerate. By uniting your country again, you'd show to everyone, the Danes, should they conquer further than Pomerania, the Germans, should they confuse settlement with conquest, the Galicians, should they want to spread their own Christianity, or the Bohemians, should they have claims on Silesia, that they would have chosen the wrong enemy. Poland must become Poland again!

KINGDOM OF NORWAY
John the Late

Current leader: Sverre Sigurdsson
Capital: Bergen
Population: about 250,000 inhabitants
Main language: Norwegian
Diplomacy: Civil war between the king's and the Clergy's partisans ; Pope's interdict

The kingdom of Norway is living a dark period: because of the dubious takeover by Sverre Sigurdsson, so-called illegitimate son of Sigurd II, a civil war broke out between the Birkebeiners, supporters of Sverre and enemies of the richest classes, and the Balgers, supporters of the Clergy and privileges. You must hurry to stop this war which is ruining your country, exposing him to invasions. Indeed, even if your relations with your Swedish and Danish neighbours are good, they could worry if the civil war was still growing. Moreover, your recent and drastic reforms towards the ecclesiastical power didn't only annoy the Norwegian clergy, but also the Papacy itself. If you wish to redeem yourself, you must hurry and reaffirm your power. But do not forget your maritime empire. Some years ago, you had to punish the duke of Orkneys for his betrayal. And the kingdoms of Scotland and Mann could be interested by your archipelagos. React, or your kingdom will collapse!

BULGARIAN EMPIRE
DanielPereira

Current leader: Kaloyan
Capital: Tarnovo
Religion: Orthodox Christianity
Population: about 4,500,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Bulgarian, Romanian, Greek, Aromanian
Diplomacy: Bad relations with Rascia ; good ones with the Papacy ; truce with the Byzantine Empire

The Second Bulgarian empire is at the noontide of his fame! Despite the recent assassinations of Tsar Kaloyan's brothers, Pedar and Ivan, your empire has regained almost all the territories he lost during the Byzantine rule. Your wars against Isaac Angelos were profitable, and the new Basileus Alexis III wishes to make peace, seeing as his empire is collapsing. However, your conquests worry the largest part of your neighbours. The Serbians of Rascia refuse to become Bulgarian vassals once again, while the Hungarians wish to recover Wallachia, now part of your empire. Indeed, you have the chance to control a multiethnical empire, with Bulgarians but also Romanians, Aromanians, Cumans and Greeks. However, this chance may become burden if you don't care enough about these populations. The stability of your empire appears to rely on your victories. Should you lose a battle that some of them could challenge the Bulgarian authority and take the power. You mustn't let the populations doubt about your power, nor the boyar (nobility) plot against you. The conquests must continue!

BYZANTINE EMPIRE
Lazarus II

Current leader: Alexis III Angelos
Capital: Constantinople
Religion: Orthodox Christianity
Population: about 5,000,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Greek, Latin
Diplomacy: Truce with the Bulgarian Empire ; huge revolts in Asia Minor's themes ; very bad relations with Venice, Sicily and the Holy Roman Empire

The Byzantine Empire has lost all its prestige. The current basileus (emperor), Alexis III, is a bungler: after he blinded and imprisoned his own brother, Isaac II, took the power, supported by a large part of the nobility, and tried to defeat the Bulgarians without success, the Byzantine population began to show its discontent. Now, riots are breaking out in the countryside because of the deterioration of peasants' living conditions and huge taxes, some governors of themes (provinces) are seeking for more autonomy and even independence, above all in Trebizond, while the Seljuk Turks and Bulgarians are threatening your borders. Your ships are constantly attacked by Italian pirates and privateers, and the Sicilians keep on claiming your crown. You absolutely need to pull yourself together and stop this lethal policy, or else, the empire will die by itself. A lot of reforms are necessary and the borders must be secured. And also, you will probably have to learn how to gain friends, because it's obvious that alone, you have little chance to survive.

PAPAL STATES
Julius999

Current leader: Innocent III
Capital: Rome
Population: about 750,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Latin, Central Italian dialects
Diplomacy: Bad relations with the Holy Roman Empire ; claims on Romagna ; good relations with Sicily

A new crusade has been preached. You, His Holiness, have recently noticed that Christianity is far from being the supreme religion in the world. Indeed, Pagans northerly are still numerous, the infidel Saracens and Turks are still the masters of the Holy Land, heresy is still present in the Balkans, and the 'Orthodox' christians still refuse to give in. But you are an active Holy Father. Two years ago, you launched a fourth crusade in order to conquer Jerusalem once again. However, it seems that this launching wasn't totally efficient, since the kings of France and England are still fighting each other, the Holy Roman Emperor Philip of Swabia, a Hohenstaufen, id est, a person you hate, is still challenging your authority. This is why you decided to crown King of the Romans Otto of Brunswick, now Otto IV. But the Italians are still undecided between supporting you, the Emperor or the Emperor YOU chose. That's enough! You have decided to take the arms this time. A threat has no effect if it cannot be executed. You will show everyone that no one may challenge the Holy See. Habemus papam!

DUCHY OF BRABANT
Den cekke

Current leader: Henry I
Capital: Leuven
Population: about 750,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Brabantian, French
Diplomacy: Mixed relations with Hainaut ; bad relations with the Holy Roman Emperor and Liège

The duchy of Brabant: well placed, next to the sea, rich thanks to the wool trade, owning several of the most active cities in the whole Europe. In truth, you own one of the richest states of the continent! Alas, it would have been too beautiful if you weren't warring too. Indeed, your neighbours are far from liking the way you act. Because of the expansion of Flemish and Dutch cities, trade routes change. Currently, the Liégeois must cross your duchy in order to reach Maastricht, that you don't own, but without paying taxes. You cannot tolerate this: Liège must pay, although you can guess its answer. The county of Hainaut, which you already fought several times, is now under Flemish control, but you still have claims over this region. And finally, you are on bad terms with Philip II of Swabia, Holy Emperor, although you prefered Otto IV, crowned by the Pope. This will not improve your relations with the other imperial states, but fortunately, the Emperor seems more concerned about the Italians and Germans than the Flemish and Dutch. And this is why you won't wait for him to enlarge your duchy.

KINGDOM OF HUNGARY
HockeySam18

Current leader: Emeric I
Capital: Buda
Population: about 2,000,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Hungarian, Croatian, Romanian, Slovak
Diplomacy: Heresy in Bosnia ; Mixed relations with Rascia

Hungary is a huge and productive country. The German immigration has just proved to be profitable, since these Germans are skilled craftsmen and miners. The Croatians have finally stopped their rebellions. But when a problem ends, another comes: a new heretic movement, the Bogomilism, is plaguing Bosnia, a part of your kingdom. Born in Bulgaria, this popular heresy will deteriorate your relations with the Pope if you do nothing. You must call to order Ban Kulin so that he crushes this rising before you completely lose control of the banate. But that's not all: eastward, Rascia, commanded by Stefan Nemanjic and supported by the Bulgarian empire, is seeking for independence, while his Stefan's brother, Vukan, has come to ask you help against his brother and conquer it. Who knows, by aiding Vukan, perhaps he'll have no choice but to give you Rascia as a reward? Moreover, this would help you to conquer the Bulgarian empire, which begins to worry you, and has also allowed Wallachia to be semi-independent, while you were interested in. You have a lot of work in front of you.

KINGDOM OF ENGLAND
Jetkill Fastmurder

Current leader: John I
Capital: London
Population: about 3,500,000 inhabitants
Main languages: English, French
Diplomacy: Very bad relations with France ; bad relations with Brittany ; riots pro-French in Anjou and Maine

To be a king is not an easy thing. After the death of Richard the Lionhearted, you have become king. However, you made several mistakes that are generating serious consequences. First, you kidnapped Hugh X of Lusignan's wife to marry her. This one has thus decided to complain to Philip Augustus, king of France. You are now ordered to meet them to justify yourself. Because of this, a lot of barons and lords in Anjou and Maine, your continental possessions besides Normandy and Aquitaine, are seriously doubting about you, and tend to ally with Philip. It's up to you to react. Second, your ascension to the throne isn't welcome by everyone. Many barons would have prefered the very young Arthur, duke of Brittany. This one has then decided to claim your crown, and is now seeking an alliance with France too. Threatened all around, with a near empty treasury because of Richard's crusade, and without army, you are at stake. Even the settlers continually coming to Ireland seem to slip through your fingers, while your colonial policy in Southern Wales may need to stop for a while. You understood it, it is time to react!

KIPCHAK CONFEDERATION
Taichud

Current leader: Kotyan
Capital: None
Religions: Tengriism and Islam
Population: about 500,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Kipchak dialects
Diplomacy: Mixed relations with Russian principalties ; good relations with Georgia and Bulgaria

The Kipchak-Cuman confederation is currently by far the hugest nation of Europe, if ever you can be considered as Europeans. The problem with a huge nation is the way to administrate it. Being a nomadic people, you have no capital, many of yours are leaving the steppes to fight for nations, such as Bulgaria against the Byzantines, or Georgia against the Seljuk Turks. Moreover, even if your confederacy is huge and rather stable, its territory significantly decreased because of Ruthenian and Russian retaliations. Now, Moldavia is not yours anymore, and you must conquer more territories if you wish your nation to remain united. The other nomadic peoples northerly, the Bashkirs, the Komis, the Mordvins and other, could enlarge your army, and you could even encircle the Russians and Ruthenians thanks to this. But to do this, you must first unite your riders. Call them back, offer them glory, and your confederation will survive.

NOTA BENE: These summaries explain nothing mandatory, they are just here to inform you about the current context of your nation. You may perfectly choose another way to act, although I will take in account these summaries to describe 1200 and later events. For example, if I had said 'A united Ireland would prove to be powerful', this wouldn't have mean you'd have been forced to unite Ireland, you could have done otherwise.

I will write 1200 events later.

NOW, LET THE GAME BEGIN!!!

And sorry for mispellings, I was in a hurry.

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 12-14-12 10:52 AM CT (US)     85 / 704  
Yeah Brabant was a duchy compromising of land in both Belgium and the Netherlands. It belonged to the Frankish core lands and started gaining wealth in the high Middle Ages because of the trade going from Flanders to the Holy Roman empire. It soon developed many cities and when the Burgundians acquired it in the 15th century, it became the center of their empire. Cities like Brussels, Antwerp and Leuven started to grow quickly and surpassed the Flemish cities(like Gant, Brugge and Yper) in population. By the 16th century Antwerp had become a center of culture and art and was one of the biggest harbors in the world. It's power diminished during the 80 year war but Antwerp again became the 2nd biggest harbor in the world, after New York, in the 1900's.

So that was a quick history sketch of my duchy. It's probably too small to show on that Europe map. I'll see if I can find a good map for my region to work out my regional activities.

Edit: I didn't see Steve's post yet.
I like the descriptions. Sounds about right.

[This message has been edited by den cekke (edited 12-14-2012 @ 10:58 AM).]

posted 12-14-12 11:20 AM CT (US)     86 / 704  
Kotyan of the Kipchaks introduces laws which ban the harming of merchants, thus boosting the trade through the Kipchak-Cuman Confederation. Kotyan sees the possibility of revitalizing the Silk Road. Kotyan also despatches a delegation to Bulgaria, promising them aid if the Byzantines were to attack the kingdom.

"The lack of money is the root of all evil." - Mark Twain

posted 12-14-12 11:35 AM CT (US)     87 / 704  
Henry I gives city rights to 4 towns(Gembloux, Vilvoorden, Aerschot and Lier) and gives the right to produce wool cloth to 7 other towns. He also sends a delegation to the Pope to plea for his case against Liège. He asks the pope to intervene in the matter.

[This message has been edited by den cekke (edited 12-14-2012 @ 12:54 PM).]

posted 12-14-12 11:44 AM CT (US)     88 / 704  
Good to see you've begun
Also, as a simple note, the population counts are appromixations, and for many of them, I had to make deductions and rely on plausibility. So don't ask me sources!

And Den cekke, Liège is an episcopal principalty, not a duchy

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 12-14-12 01:27 PM CT (US)     89 / 704  
England requests Norway for a non-agression pact and bilateral trade permissions with the ports in Northern Britain. England will provide naval assistance in the North Sea should any conflict arise.

England asks Wales to pledge a certain percentage of their population in return for secession of all territories up to Cardiff and an immediate halt to all English colonization in Wales.

England signs the Great Charter. The King still commands the English armies and has the rights to initiate processes to dismiss corrupt or rebellious mayors by popular vote.

King John departs for France.

England disbands all its armies except a small provisional army and the local militias. The law prohibits any person from directly owning more than 1000 acres of land. Any more land will be equally divided among the disbanded armymen who will keep 50% profit for themselves. This will increase state revenue through taxes and tithes.
posted 12-14-12 02:37 PM CT (US)     90 / 704  
England disbands all its armies except a small provisional army and the local militias. The law prohibits any person from directly owning more than 1000 acres of land. Any more land will be equally divided among the disbanded armymen who will keep 50% profit for themselves. This will increase state revenue through taxes and tithes.

You upset your nobility and then disband your armies? This is bound to end well.
posted 12-14-12 03:06 PM CT (US)     91 / 704  
Kotyan calls for a rally of the tribes outside the town of Astrakhan near the Caspian Sea. He declares that the arrows shall fly on the West: War is coming. In his speech, he takes the risky path of calling the various khans "his generals" and the tribal warriors "his soldiers".

posted 12-14-12 03:52 PM CT (US)     92 / 704  
The Pope is sympathetic to the amusingly tiny Duchy of Brabant. He is prepared to order Liege to pay a reasonable sum for passage, provided that the Duchy of Brabant confirms that it is a good Catholic nation and commits to support Otto the Whatever.

The Pope has not yet heard from other nations, and is keen to know whether they are good Catholics. Optimistically, he sends envoys to a whole bunch of countries (ie everyone) irrespective of their religious past to ask nicely for recognition of spiritual supremacy.

The Pope draws everyone's attention to mankind's aptitude for sin, the horrors of Hell, and the price list for indulgences. The coffers of the Papal States will surely overflow.

The Pope calls the Fourth Lateran Council, which confirms that the Pope is the greatest and what he says goes. In particular, if any Christian nation desires to fight another Christian nation they must ask Papal permission first. The Pope decides that this is such fun that he will host more Lateran Councils every five years or so.

Lastly, the Pope looks at Moorish Spain with displeasure. Moreover, he would like a holiday home to the West. Preparations begin for an army and navy sufficient to overwhelm the kingless, godless Balearic Islands. These will eventually be a good observation post for the inevitable Western Crusade.

Actually, one other thing. The Pope is a big fan of Jerusalem, but can't see it on the map. Could some god-fearing person put up a map which can be seen in its entirety?

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 12-14-12 03:54 PM CT (US)     93 / 704  
England asks Wales to pledge a certain percentage of their population
When you say 'pledge', you mean pledge a Welsh army for Wales, or pledge a Welsh contingent for the English army?

Whatever it is, prince of Deheubarth, Gruffydd ap Rhys II accepts this favorable agreement, and proclaim himself King of Deheubarth. Maelgwn ap Rhys, supporter of King John, flees from Wales, uneasy about his reputation among the Welsh people. Wales now consists of 3 kingdoms rather than 2.
the Great Charter
Does this mean that taxes must be voted by the Great Council, that no one may be arrested without justification and that feudal and urban rights cannot be forbidden? Please, try to be accurate when making a reform.

Unhappy with the new reform confiscating a part of their land for the army, a small group of barons in Northern England, where seigniorial lands are larger than South, has shown its discontent by organizing an uprising. Peasants ask the king to intervene before a civil war bursts.

Seeking for glory, the Turkish tribes of the Western Caspian Sea decided to leave their villages to join Kotyan's horde.

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 12-14-12 04:16 PM CT (US)     94 / 704  
Because of the Pope's Fourth Council of the Lateran, Italian ghibelline cities such as Siena or Pisa, are warming. Otto of Brunswick, for now still supported by His Holiness, tries to calm them down.

The cartographer called by the Pope has come:

As His Holiness may see, Jerusalem is under Saracen control, although the treaty signed between Salah al-Din and Richard of England promised safety to the Christian pilgrims going to the city.

A letter has been sent by the king of Sicily, Frederick I of Hohenstaufen, to the Pope:
Holiness,
My spies have told me about a plot led by Markward von Anweiler, whom has claims upon my kingdom, and Romagna, a land His Holiness has recently gained. I beg thee assistance against this foe, whose navy, helped by an infidel emir, is heading for Palermo, my capital. Thy help is crucial, Holiness.
-Frederick-Roger of Hohenstaufen, king of Sicily

AGE OF VOIVODS

[This message has been edited by fr steve (edited 12-14-2012 @ 04:36 PM).]

posted 12-14-12 05:10 PM CT (US)     95 / 704  
The Pope is most alarmed by this development. He lacks troops of his own to spare, but hires one thousand mercenaries to assist in the defence of Palermo. He also declares that no one who kills a man attempting to invade Sicily need do penance and that the bodies of the invaders can be freely looted, so that all will fight more keenly. He calls on the Republic of Venice to send some of their considerable navy to assist their brother Catholics.

The Pope also declares that whoever this unknown emir is, he must turn back his navy or become the first target of the wrath of all Christendom.

Markward von Anweiler is excommunicated, if he wasn't already. Any god-fearing men who sail with him would be well advised to depose him if they do not wish to face the same fate and worse.

The Pope demands Philip of Swabia either to condemn this attack or expose himself as a traitor even to his fellow Hohenstaufen.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 12-14-12 05:59 PM CT (US)     96 / 704  
Is there a limit to the amount of orders we can do? And how do we know what the year is?

The duke of Brabant is very pleased to hear about the Pope's decision regarding Liège and gives the pope his full support for his papacy. Meanwhile has he ordered an anonymous painter to make a portrait of himself and attracted several musicians and poets to the court. He claims himself protector of the arts and gives free passage to prosecuted artists.
Now that his son has reached adulthood he decides that's it's time for him to marry. He sends a letter to the courts of Flanders, Hainaut, Holland, Guelders, Burgundy, Scotland and Cleves expressing his wishes to marry his son to a suitable wife.
posted 12-14-12 07:23 PM CT (US)     97 / 704  
Well, I need Ax to confirm it was indeed Norway he wanted.
No, I wanted to be Poland, but it was already taken. In any case, it looks like you guys got started already.

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are
posted 12-15-12 00:29 AM CT (US)     98 / 704  
Mieszko III the Old requests a meeting with his three brothers to discuss a unification of Poland with the condition that he remains the king while his brothers remain heirs to the throne.

Mieszko III the Old offers a peace treaty to Emeric I of the Kingdom of Hungary, clarifying that war is not in the best interests of two Catholic kingdoms.

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
I too always thought "blog" would sound less silly as the years went by.
Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman

[This message has been edited by Mozzarella Man (edited 12-15-2012 @ 00:33 AM).]

posted 12-15-12 02:55 AM CT (US)     99 / 704  
You upset your nobility and then disband your armies? This is bound to end well
But The King signed the charter in return!
Does this mean that taxes must be voted by the Great Council, that no one may be arrested without justification and that feudal and urban rights cannot be forbidden? Please, try to be accurate when making a reform.
All of them, minus the things already mentioned.
When you say 'pledge', you mean pledge a Welsh army for Wales, or pledge a Welsh contingent for the English army?
Pledge 50% of the Welsh army comprised of Morgwangg Spearmen and Saethwyr archers to the English army only at times of war.
Unhappy with the new reform confiscating a part of their land for the army, a small group of barons in Northern England, where seigniorial lands are larger than South, has shown its discontent by organizing an uprising. Peasants ask the king to intervene before a civil war bursts.
The King requests for a meeting with the Northern Barons after he has returned from France. He urges the Barons not to resort to violence until then. He pledges to drop the matter concerning redistribution of land and reimburse the disbanded armies with other..."things"

The King arrives in France. He requests an audience with Philip to resolve the issue concerning Hugh X.
posted 12-15-12 05:44 AM CT (US)     100 / 704  
Guido Torriani ascends to the position of Mayor of Milan. In a series of sweeping reforms centralising power to the city, to be instituted over the next half-decade, he establishes the (as yet unfilled) title of duke, intended for his heir.

The Florentine cloth will be traded through Venice rather than Liguria, this shift in economic ties marks his Eminence's break with Vienna and his desire for closer ties to all Catholics. A gift of a thousand ducats is given to his Holiness Pope Innocent III.
His Eminence desires a dialogue with His Holiness and His Majesty the King of Sicily, concerning the Imperial question and the desire for solidarity among the major Italian states. An addition to the agenda is a query for his Holiness, concerning an appropriate response to the insult of the Genoese when they expelled the Italian merchants.

Massaria Torriana, Guido's niece, is offered in marriage to the cousin of the King of Sicily. Sibilia Torriana, Guido's younger sister, is offered to the Son of the King of Arles.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 12-15-2012 @ 05:47 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 29  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Map Game: 13th Century
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames