Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mithril Knight's Scenario Design Workshop
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-14-12 11:33 PM CT (US)   
Welcome to my Workshop!

Take a look around and enjoy the visit.

What is this workshop you may ask... well. Keep reading, it's right below this sentence.

What is Mithril Knight's Scenario Design Workshop?

Well, since it's actually a fairly simple question. This is a special thread where I plan to show up all and each of my projects. Instead of spamming threads for each project I start to make, I said: "Well, why not use just one?"

And so we are here.

Codes

Status

PT : This project needs play-testers and/or is being play-tested.

Active: Currently being worked on.

On hiatus: Not working on it, but planning to do so in the future.

Released: The file is already available at the Blacksmith or is awaiting approval from the Administrator.

Scrapped: Will never be worked again.

Colors

Red: Campaign

Blue: Scenario

Green: Multiplayer Scenario (If I ever do one, of course)

Maroon: Other

Projects:

Alternate History of Americas

Iceland Wars: Carvagne

Oda Nobunaga: For a Unified Japan

Development: 66%

About: We all know the Kyoto scenario made by ES, but, what happened before? This campaign will tell you how Oda Nobunaga, the daimyo of a minor clan, raised to become the first and most important man in the unification of Japan, from his first years fighting off the Imagawa, to the battle of Anegawa, to the Mt. Hiei siege and much more.

Genre: Mixed, but mostly B&D.

Super Secret Project??? (What, the color? It's a secret, you dummy! No color yet.)

Development: ???

About: ???

Genre: ???

The Komnenian Restoration

Development: 45%

About: The Byzantine Empire was in shambles in 1081. A decade after Manzikert, it couldn't prevent all of Anatolia to fall to the Turkic invaders, it was going through a big economic crisis and corruption and political intrigue plagued the bureaucracy, as the nobility fought each other for the title of emperor. This is a campaign about how a dynasty fought to restore an empire that everyone assumed was about to disappear. This is the story of the Komnenian Restoration, the last golden age of the Byzantine Empire.

Genre: Mostly B&D.

Images

Alternate History of Americas

Teaser Image

History Section

A revolt that is being supressed

Mendoza through the forest

Welcome to Texcoco

Iceland Wars: Carvagne

1 - The Test

3 - Offense & Defense

5 - Homeland

6 - The Siege of Weltaarberg

Oda Nobunaga: For a Unified Japan

A Hard Year Approaches

Port Town

Nagoya Castle

Plotting?

A shot of Kyoto

Troops Assemble (HD)

Marching (HD)

Buddhist Temple

The Komnenian Restoration

Scenario 1:

Mountains
Constantinople

Scenario 2:

Pecheneg Camp
Sardica

Post and show your interest, compliments, etc. If you notice a PLAYTESTERS NEEDED banner in one of the projects, please subscribe to it.

Thank you.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 06-27-2015 @ 12:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-26-13 09:03 PM CT (US)     36 / 74  
Looks good, especially the placement of map revealers.
posted 01-27-13 02:24 AM CT (US)     37 / 74  
Haven't played a Japanese scenario since forever! Looking forward to it, especially since it's looking very good.
posted 02-08-13 09:04 PM CT (US)     38 / 74  
Did some progress over this week on the fourth scenario of my Nobunaga campaign. I am really having issues with the arrangement of the scenario right now, as there will be as the gameplay will shift at a certain point and I need a map that looks open, yet forested and that has a quite a healthy amount of resources, while being decently faithful to the features of the Kansai Region.

It really starts to get difficult as I move from the starting point of the player, and... (SPOILER SPOILER) and move towards the gorgeous city of Kyoto, why will be quite a headache because of the topography around it and the sheer amount of shrines and landmarks. In fact, I had to change Lake Biwa's shape to accommodate the city in a proper way and distance from it, so now it's pretty rounded, instead of it's typical long glacial lake shape. (END SPOILER)

All in all, I was able to put up about 1% more of the total of the campaign, as I also did minor bug-fixing on what I have triggered up till now.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 02-08-2013 @ 09:08 PM).]

posted 02-16-13 07:18 PM CT (US)     39 / 74  
Did a little bit more progress with map design, adding woods and adding detail to roads here and there, so the map for the fourth Nobunaga scenario is about half finished right now.

Development up to 42%.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 02-16-2013 @ 07:18 PM).]

posted 03-11-13 05:16 PM CT (US)     40 / 74  
Work, work and more work...

The last month I was busy with studies, writing and that damn Minecraft that is always absorbing my free time.

I managed to up development to 43% total, but I still have much to do, especially since I still have to build most of the western half of the map for the fourth scenario.

I hope to make enough development to take another screenshot in the next week.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 05-23-13 07:08 PM CT (US)     41 / 74  
Finally an update!

After not opening the editor for about two months, I finally found the time to work on the Nobunaga campaign.

I already built half the city of Kyoto, which was surprisingly easy, since it turns out that the city was built almost a like grid at that the time, and so it's very simple to map and adapt to the scenario.

Update up to 44%.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 05-29-13 04:46 PM CT (US)     42 / 74  
I've done about 90% of the map by now. Here is an image of the scenario. It's not much though, it's better when seeing it completely.

Kyoto

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 06-02-13 09:02 PM CT (US)     43 / 74  
Today, I went all out, and "finished" the fourth scenario of the Nobunaga campaign. It only lacks a few details and full testing of the triggers, but it's theoretically playable from start to the end.

Because of that, I am updating this project up to 50% (Yay!).

I will start the fifth scenario soon, but I need to find my notes on the campaign, since I don't remember what was going to happen next.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 06-08-13 11:22 AM CT (US)     44 / 74  
Already started the fifth scenario of Nobunaga. Updating the project with 51%.

I will be representing the battle of Anegawa in this scenario. This battle doesn't have much historical references, so I will play around a little bit with the gameplay mechanics I can add to it, and I will be free of inaccuracies in some aspects.

The map is not going to be used at it's fullest too, I am only using about three-quarters of it, so I still have to think about what to do with the remaining space. It's open to suggestions too, so give me some, though I can't guarantee yours will make it in.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 06-08-2013 @ 11:23 AM).]

posted 06-08-13 12:33 PM CT (US)     45 / 74  
The screenshots look good, but have you tried to add some variation in the elevation?
posted 06-11-13 06:56 PM CT (US)     46 / 74  
Yes, I have done some elevation play-thing, the thing is, that I always have a hard time getting myself to implement elevation variation because it looks terribly square and I don't like that, so it's been very patchy in all the scenarios up to now.

Don't worry though, this fifth scenario is going to have more bumpy terrain, since most of the map will be an open plain, and I have to fill it somehow.

Plus, I am thinking of enhancing elevation in the other scenarios if I find it necessary.

Okay, today I update up to 53% the Nobunaga campaign. I keep working on my scenario designing, mixing terrain, detailing the Ane-gawa (River in Japanese), etc.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 08-09-13 03:53 PM CT (US)     47 / 74  
After straying away from scenario designing yet again, I went into the editor and made some terrain mixing, completing most of the base terrain of the map, adding elevation and basically, just mapping the scenario, though I did a little of everything else.

No changes in the progress percentage, since the amount of work I did is negligible.

BTW, bump.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 08-16-13 10:57 PM CT (US)     48 / 74  
Today I decided to tinkle around with Age of Empires II HD, and after a lot of trouble installing mods from the Workshop, I finally got what I wanted.

So, using Jorgito's terrains from his re-skin mod, Tetsuo's Landscaping Cliffs and the Tree Pack compiled by Ozhara I made these screenshots from the fifth scenario.

From AoK HD, with love...

HD 1: The troops assemble...

HD 2: Marching

HD 3: A Mighty Fortress

And I didn't bother downloading Jorgito's awesome units, but if you have AoK HD, I'd recommend it.

Enjoy some eye-candy, when this is released, I will make sure to add it to Steam Workshop, so you can see the campaign like this.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 08-18-13 09:55 PM CT (US)     49 / 74  
It's incredible how much posts in a row I make in this thread, it almost feels like people don't bother to see this thread. I know they do, my fancy name has to draw in some people in, but... yeah.

Anyways, quickly updating to 60% progress on Nobunaga's campaign. I am almost finished with the fifth scenario. It's already playable, but there is a lot of balancing that needs to be done concerning the AI. Plus, I had to scrap some mechanics I wanted to add, so in the end, this turned into pretty much a standard B&D scenario, a la ES campaigns.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 08-18-13 11:11 PM CT (US)     50 / 74  
Don't worry man, we're all keeping tabs on it (I sure am at least)! The screenies look really nice, but from my end, I haven't ever used any of the new texture packs for HD, so it's a lot to digest at first. There's no denying that it's great work and I look forward to playing it! Good luck man

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 11-08-13 06:07 PM CT (US)     51 / 74  
Just making a little bump to prevent the thread from getting archived.

Over the last two months I have not done a whole lot of progress at anything AOK-related, school and other real life issues keep me busy. I will try to get back to work as soon as possible.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 11-10-13 07:04 PM CT (US)     52 / 74  

Work on it when you can.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 06-09-14 11:28 AM CT (US)     53 / 74  
Hey guys! Mithril here, I'm now on summer vacations, so I'll have time to work on Nobunaga: For a Unified Japan.

There has been progress, but it's very slow, so the status of the campaign is basically unchanged up till now.

Soon I will be starting the next scenario.

Hint: Does Mt. Hiei ring a bell?

Edit: On second thought, screw it. The scenario is on the works already, so here's a screeny:

Teaser

Edit 2: Status update to 62%.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 06-09-2014 @ 06:09 PM).]

posted 07-03-14 08:22 PM CT (US)     54 / 74  
OK, news everyone.

First, Alternate History of America is getting discontinued, I deleted the scenarios today, so that's the end for that project. It's officially scraped and I'm not going back to it ever again.

Next, Oda Nobunaga is advancing steadily, I've been working a lot on my use of elevations, I think I can use them to give a better feel to the mountainous areas of the scenarios, so there's that, then I'll revisit the other ones to see what can I do about them too. For now, progress goes up to 65%.

Finally, I started a new super-secret project, vaguely related one of the other, excluding AHoA, of course. It's still in baby steps and the most of the map still lacks terrain features, but I will hopefully finish it by the same time I do with Oda Nobunaga. Since I am such a lazy bum though, I'm not giving any time estimates as usual .

Anyways, here's a new picture from what I'm currently working with in Oda Nobunaga.

Test-playing

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 07-04-14 06:10 AM CT (US)     55 / 74  
You should add more eye candy

posted 07-25-14 10:51 PM CT (US)     56 / 74  
I added my MCG 2014 entry to the project list and made some changes to the OP, including a slightly longer description Nobunaga's campaign.

Speaking of, I finally got myself around learning AI scripting. I used Leif's AI Scripting tutorial to get the basics and then I started to build upon that first AI with the CPSB to gain experience. Thanks to this, I am now beginning to work on custom AIs for Nobunaga.

Meanwhile there was some slight progress in the maps, so I bumped up the percentage one point, but I think I'll have diminish it, with the extra work from the AIs.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 07-31-14 10:01 PM CT (US)     57 / 74  
I'm glad my AI guide could be useful.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 12-21-14 10:11 PM CT (US)     58 / 74  
*dusts off old thread*

First post in a long time! I'm putting on hiatus Oda Nobunaga. I do intend to go back to it during my winter vacations, but not right now, instead I'm doing some stuff with AoF, to get the hang of its scenario editor and all the cool stuff they added. If I finish anything, I may submit, to finally upload a finished work to the Blacksmith

Anyways, Happy Holidays!

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 12-24-14 09:43 AM CT (US)     59 / 74  
Merry Christmas to you to old friend!
posted 05-15-15 07:33 PM CT (US)     60 / 74  
*blows dust*

Wow, it's been a while. Here's a picture of what I've been up to, it's the one I posted a little while back on another thread.

Link

I mentioned in the Works of Art thread that it's from a Komnenian Campaign.

I recently discovered the Komnenos dynasty and their amazingly good run at governing the Byzantine Empire in what was basically their last glory days. Given that the Byzantines are pretty much overlooked on anything other than general Belisarius, I want to showcase this period of time when it looked like the Byzantines could fight back the Turks after the disaster of Manzikert a few decades before.

I don't plan on it being more than four scenarios long, if I stretch it too much I'll lose interest. Instead I want it to in the style of the classic ES campaigns (think AoK/AoC), with a focus on gameplay, not on being flashy like many works around here.

@Anyone good with AI scripting: Can I make an AI use load-if-defined for population settings? Or do I have to forcefully work it like a rule fact? Is there any other way? I'm designing an AI for the campaign and I want it to adapt to the population space I assign to it, but it seems a real drag to have to make two separate sets of rules depending on whether I assign a certain amount of population or not.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 05-16-15 09:15 AM CT (US)     61 / 74  
In my experience, it's better to cap the number of units by unit type that the AI trains on each difficulty. So on Hard, they may train 15 Knights, on Moderate, 10, and on Standard, 5. This requires that you create 3 sets of rules for unit training, but it's easy to just copy/paste and then switch a few conditional parameters in each rule.

In other words, the AI can have pop limit of 200, but their actual pop limit is determined by how many units you let them train in the actual AI file on each difficulty.

Also, this might help

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 05-16-15 10:13 AM CT (US)     62 / 74  
Holy balls,that site may come in handy.Thank you HockeySam18

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.
posted 05-16-15 10:29 AM CT (US)     63 / 74  
No problem, but the real thanks are due to Jan dc, who created the AI Builder

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 05-16-15 11:46 AM CT (US)     64 / 74  
I know that one, I tested it, but it's not that great, especially if you are making an AI for the HD edition (I'm working on AoF), it creates a lot of files and clutters the AI folder, which can be quite problematic. It's good if you don't know how to script, though, so there's that.

I'm scripting by hand anyways, I like it best, it allows me to optimize and fine-tune the AI to my liking. That's why I asked this, if I can set up a population load-if-defined I can just have it load different constants for the military size, and only affect the AI's economy based on difficulty.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 06-25-15 11:26 AM CT (US)     65 / 74  
Bump.

I did a little bit of cleaning in the OP and added The Komnenian Restoration there too.

Two scenarios are ready. I'd like to ask you all if anyone can help me playtest the scenarios that are done up to this moment. There are many things to balance out, especially since I made custom AIs for them that need to be tested to give them a better performance.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 06-25-15 06:17 PM CT (US)     66 / 74  
I can't commit to doing so before I've finished some RL commitments and then playtested Possidon's Wrath of the Traibs project because I've already committed to that, but afterwards I would be glad to help you with some testing

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 06-25-15 06:47 PM CT (US)     67 / 74  
Might have time. Maybe remind me if I forget to visit the thread again.
posted 06-25-15 07:03 PM CT (US)     68 / 74  
I'll be busy for about a week (until Saturday next week), but after that I should have time. Email me then.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 06-25-15 07:04 PM CT (US)     69 / 74  
I know that one, I tested it, but it's not that great, especially if you are making an AI for the HD edition (I'm working on AoF), it creates a lot of files and clutters the AI folder, which can be quite problematic. It's good if you don't know how to script, though, so there's that.
You think it would be better to just have all the code in one script? I usually separate it into different files to make it easier to edit and reusable but I guess for the designer it's not very interesting. However you only need the extra per files once for all the AIs you create. Other than that you only need 1 AI for each player. I can have people put the extra files into an extra folder. Would that help?
posted 06-27-15 12:18 PM CT (US)     70 / 74  
You think it would be better to just have all the code in one script? I usually separate it into different files to make it easier to edit and reusable but I guess for the designer it's not very interesting. However you only need the extra per files once for all the AIs you create. Other than that you only need 1 AI for each player. I can have people put the extra files into an extra folder. Would that help?
Well, personally, while the re-usability is good practice (from a programmer's viewpoint), it certainly isn't the best when it comes to SD, where you'll be making many unique AIs for different kinds of enemies, so file control become an issue fast. The way your builder creates the script, it renames the extra files to make them unique to each new AI and that clutters the folder really fast, you could try with placing the files in a folder, that would certainly help, but if you say that those are only needed once, then there should be no need to make unique files for every AI, they should be able to access everything from a single source instead.

I've had no luck myself making that method work in HD, so instead I got rid of multi-file AIs and now only work with using one file for everything. The AIs I use may be very simple, but it keeps maintenance levels low, so I can keep order in my folder.

That's my opinion, I hope you find it helpful.

I took some pictures of the scenarios, here you go!

Scenario 1:
Constantinople

Scenario 2:
Pecheneg Camp
Sardica (Modern-day Sofia)

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Mithril Knight's Scenario Design Workshop
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames