Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: yurt crash
posted 02-25-17 02:36 PM CT (US)   
so there is this misterious bug:
there is a yurt which AFTER a certain moment in the game MAY (or may not) cause the crash of the game if clicked on.

i dont know the cause of this.
the yurt is passed ownership along with a house to a player which is not player1, but this seems unrelated with the thing.

interestingly enough, when i had windows 7 (now win10) this bug didnt cause the crash, but rather a weird "time warp" in which everything was frozen, but if i clicked away from the yurt the game was resuming. actually it didnt freeze for real because the game went on in while i saw a frozen screen

[This message has been edited by Rico_jolla (edited 02-25-2017 @ 04:35 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-26-17 03:24 PM CT (US)     1 / 14  
That sounds utterly bizarre. What version of the game are you using - AoK HD or something else?

It may sound obtuse, but have you tried deleting the yurt and putting a new one in its place?

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 02-26-17 03:40 PM CT (US)     2 / 14  
I think he's using Age of Chivalry, in which case, yes, this is a known bug which will be fixed for the next release.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 02-27-17 02:23 PM CT (US)     3 / 14  
ah okay...glad to know it.

Kor, a few questions over the next release, to rationalize my work on my scenario, because i have to "run at the heels" of the various release (i started my scenario with release 1...)

will you change the look/type of some units?
will you alter some game dynamics?
will units ID change?

thanks
posted 02-27-17 04:02 PM CT (US)     4 / 14  
Some ship graphics have been changed (Longship, Galley, Galleas, War Cog/Kogge, Holk) - see the main AoCH topic in Modpack discussion for screenshots, but no other unit graphics. I have updated the terrain graphics though. No unit IDs have been altered. Some countries have received partial new building graphics (primarily Wales, Scotland and England). A bunch of new editor objects have been added but the existing ones haven't been altered. I've also made a few new gatehouse graphics and fixed shadows/construction/damage graphics for walls/fortified walls where they were glitched.

Also, no game dynamics have been altered at all. I'm pleased with how the mod is working out and it seems fairly balanced, so the new patch will only polish what's already there.

Offt hin hinder.
posted 02-28-17 11:52 AM CT (US)     5 / 14  
great!
so you are saying that when the new release will come out, i won't find -say- ships on the grass because the unit has changed, or persian carpets all over the map instead of grass patch, if i understand correctly.

can i have the link for the release discussions, to stick my nose in a little bit? i am particularly interested in eyecandies and scenery objects.

thank you! by the way, i hope i will be able to outfit at least a demo of my scenario (my pc was stolen with 1 month of scenario in it...one month lost), in that case i will notify you because i don't think much people was ever so foolish to make such an effort like mine on a single scenario of AoCH, so you might appreciate.
posted 02-28-17 03:38 PM CT (US)     6 / 14  
Did try reading Kor's chivalry mod thread in the modding forum? Dont know how much info is there on the new release, but its probably the goto thread for all things Chivalry.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
posted 03-04-17 04:57 PM CT (US)     7 / 14  
Yeah, Cataphract's link is correct - I tend to post updates in that topic, and also on the mod's moddb page, which has a convenient overview of the most recent screenshots towards the top.
so you are saying that when the new release will come out, i won't find -say- ships on the grass because the unit has changed, or persian carpets all over the map instead of grass patch, if i understand correctly.
Yep, none of that this time around. Like I said, no unit IDs have been changed (in the past unit IDs sometimes had to be changed to optimise the functioning of the AI).

Also, sorry to hear about your pc being stolen! I hope it didn't hamper you too much. Your project looks very promising in your project topic, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Offt hin hinder.
posted 03-05-17 12:26 PM CT (US)     8 / 14  
ummm well i had backups of my work luckily, but the aoe scenario was not backupped in a long time, so i lost a consistent chunck of the triggerwork, approx 1 month of freetime bits worth.

it was more the economic damage, along with other stuff such as crashed car glass and so on :\

yea i see your threads thanks.

but one more question: why is in your mod some technology repeated 2 or even 3 times? like alchemy for instance.
how do i do to develop it via triggers correctly? thanx
posted 03-05-17 04:14 PM CT (US)     9 / 14  
why is in your mod some technology repeated 2 or even 3 times? like alchemy for instance.
Techs aren't as flexible to customise in AoK as units, so when a technology has some unique properties - such as a different research building, or a different name or description - it will need to have a unique entry. In the case of Alchemy, for instance, one of the Alchemy techs is used for all regular instances. The other is for the Teutonic Order, which doesn't have a university/chapter school and researches it at the Order Commandry instead. In the case of the Brigandier, to name a random example, one tech is for Flanders and the other for Brittany, and there's two Pike upgrades as well - one for countries that research the technology at the Levy/Militia Quarters, and one for those that research it at the Assembly Hall.

There's no easy way to check which is which in the in-game trigger list, except to run a quick trigger test to see whether a player's units/buildings/whatever are affected or not. The techs should appear in the same position in every trigger list (both conditions and effects).

Offt hin hinder.
posted 03-05-17 05:15 PM CT (US)     10 / 14  
Which yurt is causing the problem? This may be affecting my scenario too.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 03-06-17 01:47 AM CT (US)     11 / 14  
thanks kor, interesting. but is there a developer page or something where i can go and check what technology affects what?
or should i really go blind and bruteforce-test the double techs as you said?

what yurt?
small wooden yurts (not the mongolic tents). i click on them and the game crashes. i can delete and replace some of them but the bug exists on random yurts (some yes, some no...) and as far as i tested it, it's a stubborn bug and there's now way to get over it.
posted 03-06-17 02:52 AM CT (US)     12 / 14  
thanks kor, interesting. but is there a developer page or something where i can go and check what technology affects what?
If you go into the Age of Empires II/Games/Age of Chivalry/Support folder, you'll find a document called AoC - Technology Tree. I made this a while back and it's probably out of date a bit by now unless Kor has kept it updated, but the Unit Attributes tab in the spreadsheet should have a list of which technology ID is which. This still probably won't help in-game though.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 03-06-2017 @ 02:54 AM).]

posted 03-06-17 06:16 AM CT (US)     13 / 14  
Unfortunately, although that will work for AI scripting, the technology conditions and effects don't display tech ID numbers, just the name. I'm not sure on what basis they're sorted in the condition/effect listing however - it's possible that it's based on alphabet.
or should i really go blind and bruteforce-test the double techs as you said?
Well, that's how I usually do it: make a scenario with just the units/buildings/whatever should be affected by the tech, and trigger the technology to be researched. You'll immediately see whether it affects the units or not. You usually only need to check for one or two different techs so it shouldn't take too long.

Offt hin hinder.
posted 03-06-17 11:32 AM CT (US)     14 / 14  
what about this:

1- starting from a state of deactivated technology items from player's option, i force ALL the technology i need for the whole game, with research technology (3) trigger
(can i do this?)

2-then i fire research technology (1) when needed, regardless of double technologies.

i mean that if a double tech is for a specific civ, it won't just have effect, right?
will i have cumulative effect otherwise?
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » yurt crash
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames