You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Continuous Modpack Competition I - Current theme: "Anything you like" Voting Open until August 22nd!
posted 08-08-15 02:28 AM CT (US)   

Welcome to the first installment of The Continuous Modpack Competition!

______HOW IT WORKS______

The Continuous modpack Competition is an open and ongoing competition based on ideas of me and Defibrilator . Unlike other continuous competitions,This competition is for encouraging graphic modders.Each round has a certain category that is selected by the winner of the previous round. Participants must then submit a image of the graphic they made according to the category. Make your modpack as literal, creative or imaginative as you like - as long as it's related to the category in at least one way!OK, so you’ve got your modpack all in and ready, what happens next? After the given time, which is usually 7 days if we've got enough entries to be competed (obviously it's not a competition if there's only one entry), the time for entrants will be closed, and then people who did not enter can vote for the modpack they like.After the fixed day, the person with the most votes is the winner, and they chose the next category - which is why it is a continuous cycle!

_________CURRENT COMPETITION_________

1. Category: Anything You Like
Status: Voting open (closes on the 22nd of August at 11:59 PM forum time)

Entries:
  • Possidon - 1(Defibrilator)
  • danielpereira -1(Mahazona)
  • todler -

_________RULES_________

• No category may be used twice.
  • If a Category has not been used for 100 Rounds it CAN be used again.
  • You may only enter one modpack per category.
  • You can submit a building,an icon or an interface art as your entry as long as it's related to the category in at least one way.
  • You may only enter as an individual; no team efforts.
  • The previous winner cannot compete in the competition he/she set the category for. (For that person would of had an advantage otherwise)
  • If there is a tie in the voting, the person who picked the category (last round's winner) will cast the tie-breaker vote.
  • This is an open competition. No need to sign up, just post a image of a modpack that abides to the selected category.
  • You can use any modpacks you made as far as they have not posted or uploaded anywhere before
  • We will upload all entries when we have 100 entries total.
  • The usual time for entries is 7 days, but if there have been less than 2 modpacks submitted, it will get extended.
  • Competition and voting statuses will close at 11:59pm forum time on the designated deadline.
  • The previous winner and the selector of the category MAY vote.
  • If you are participating in the current competition, you CAN vote for fellow contestants if you want (when you're feeling so humble), but you CAN NOT vote for yourself for obvious reasons.
  • No editing of your graphic once it has been posted as an entry for the competition
  • If you are caught trying to make smurf accounts or getting people to sign up to AoKH so they can vote for you, and they never post and they only use their registration to give you a vote, you will be disqualified from the week, and for a further length of time based on my discretion . All voters must have an open account at HG. Trying to fix the ballot is a very serious rule, and any attempt to break this rule will have serious consequences.
  • No flaming to other forummers. Criticism of people's work must be constructive.
  • Don't whine if you did not win, better luck next time.
  • Have fun, and try hard!

_________Useful Info_________

Some image hosters that DO NOT require REGISTRATION:
  • http://tinypic.com/

Some image hosters that DO require REGISTRATION:
  • http://photobucket.com
  • http://www.flickr.com/

_________Hall of Fame_________

1. Anything you like: danielpereira - (2 Votes)

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 08-27-2015 @ 01:18 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 08-08-15 02:38 AM CT (US)     1 / 31  
    Please support by participating
    posted 08-08-15 05:26 AM CT (US)     2 / 31  
    posted 08-08-15 06:23 AM CT (US)     3 / 31  
    What's up with a bunch CSC threads?

Also, heres an ugly polynesian dock I made some time ago. I realized I was bad at making graphics, so I towered down the modding altogether.

posted 08-08-15 06:50 AM CT (US)     4 / 31  
    @ Possidon :Nice entry Possidon. Beautiful graphic

@ Arnas :That is not ugly it is beautiful.

But,I am sorry...
    You can use any modpacks you made as far as they have not posted or uploaded anywhere before
    I think that it is same as this.Isn`t it?

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 08-08-2015 @ 06:58 AM).]

posted 08-08-15 07:21 AM CT (US)     5 / 31  
    Must've missed that one, haha.
    And yes it's the same. I made it..

posted 08-08-15 07:36 AM CT (US)     6 / 31  
    Must've missed that one, haha
    Which one?
    posted 08-08-15 08:08 AM CT (US)     7 / 31  
    @Shayam: He meant that he didn't pay attention to that rule.

Anyway, here is my entry:

This is something that I made for a mod that I was working on years ago, that I ended up abandoning it....

The Portuguese Civ Mod III - Download at the Blacksmith
    A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
    2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)
    posted 08-08-15 08:24 AM CT (US)     8 / 31  
    Beautiful entry daniel,Where did you get the arch like roofs?
    posted 08-08-15 10:01 AM CT (US)     9 / 31  
    danielpereira is that a north amarican mill or something like that?
    posted 08-08-15 11:00 AM CT (US)     10 / 31  
    @Shayam Prasad: I'm glad you liked it ^^
    I got the arch roofs from the Rise of Nations game.

@Mahazona: Yes, exactly: a native north-american mill ^^

A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
    2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)
    posted 08-08-15 11:06 AM CT (US)     11 / 31  
    Hero icon i copy-pasted couple years ago:

[This message has been edited by todler (edited 08-08-2015 @ 11:07 AM).]

posted 08-08-15 12:24 PM CT (US)     12 / 31  
    This is something that I made for a mod that I was working on years ago, that I ended up abandoning it....
    Wow! Very impressive Daniel, it happened at the right moment in which I sketched something related to a new project about American civilizations!

Did you have other graphics like these?
    posted 08-08-15 10:18 PM CT (US)     13 / 31  
    @AFFA: I'm glad you liked it!

And, well, I think that I actually made (I mean, not just converting RoN graphics) 3 or 4 more buildings. I can send them to you, if you want... ^^

[This message has been edited by danielpereira (edited 08-08-2015 @ 10:28 PM).]

posted 08-08-15 11:50 PM CT (US)     14 / 31  
    @ Todler: I think that we must find opinions about can we accept non-building entries(Icons,Unit previews,etc)

@ Everyone:Please post opinions about can we accept any type of entries(Icons,Unit previews,One framed unit previews,etc)?(Or only buildings?)

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 08-08-2015 @ 11:51 PM).]

posted 08-09-15 01:00 AM CT (US)     15 / 31  
    @ Todler: I think that we must find opinions about can we accept non-building entries(Icons,Unit previews,etc)
    Current theme: "Anything you like" so this is fine to be posted.
    posted 08-09-15 01:57 AM CT (US)     16 / 31  
    So you mean participants can use any graphics according to the theme?
    posted 08-09-15 02:25 AM CT (US)     17 / 31  
    There is no category defined so anything should and can be allowed.That is the problem when you dont define the scope properly.For a sc competition it dosent matter much anyway its going to be a screenshot but when its modding you need to clearly lay down the rules of the competition.

Eg.For a unit making contest it should be clearly defined what type of unit making is allowed cut+past 3d or converted from another game to ensure the the competition remains fair and equal.
    posted 08-09-15 02:34 AM CT (US)     18 / 31  
    It is not a problem(I have said about buildings in How it works).Personally, I wanted to allow even unit previews.But for competition I wanted opinions to change concepts

So did you think can we allow any type of graphics as long as they are according to the category?
    posted 08-09-15 02:40 AM CT (US)     19 / 31  
    That will differ from category to category Im assuming.But to get more activity allowing any type would be helpful as long as its not stolen work.
    posted 08-09-15 02:53 AM CT (US)     20 / 31  
    Ah yes, i haven't checked that you wished buildings.
    Btw is dropbox ok for the images? Now if you click on my entry in the op it gets downloaded.
    posted 08-09-15 06:21 AM CT (US)     21 / 31  
    Then what about this?
    The category must describe is a building or unit preview is needed
    We can change some rules to make the category chooser must declare is an icon,unit preview,eyecandy, or is all are acceptable

What do you think?

@ Todler: Not a bigger problem.The download require only seconds to do.

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 08-09-2015 @ 06:22 AM).]

posted 08-09-15 06:49 AM CT (US)     22 / 31  
    Where is that part written?I cant seem to find.Even then there are 2 category allowed right a building or a unit preview?
    posted 08-09-15 07:48 AM CT (US)     23 / 31  
    Yes Daniel, if you can I'll be really grateful to you!
    posted 08-09-15 08:36 AM CT (US)     24 / 31  
    @AFFA: Great! I'll send them to you today!

----------------------------------------------------

Concerning what should be accepted, I think that it would be nice to accept eyecandy, icons or maybe even interface art, but I don't think that it would be a good idea to accept 1-frame unit previews for one reason: from a modding standpoint, those 1-frame unit previews are totally useless on their own, since, if you are working in a modding project, you cannot implement an unit properly if it isn't complete.

So, well, if you get to expand what is accepted or not, I would suggest to accept icons and, maybe, interface art (campaign screens, civ interfaces, and so on...), but, please, do not allow 1-frame unit previews.

[This message has been edited by danielpereira (edited 08-09-2015 @ 08:37 AM).]

posted 08-09-15 11:18 PM CT (US)     25 / 31  
    @Mahazona :It is quoted from the modding competition discussion

Rules changed to what Daniel said and it is the truth according to some feedbacks at the modding competition discussion topic

It is the newly added rule
    You can submit a building,an icon or an interface art as your entry as long as it's related to the category in at least one way.

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 08-09-2015 @ 11:39 PM).]

posted 08-15-15 04:51 AM CT (US)     26 / 31  
    Can any staff kindly change the topic name to The Continuous Modpack Competition I - Current theme: "Anything you like" Voting open until August 22nd!

We can start voting

Voting Open until August 22

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 08-15-2015 @ 04:58 AM).]

posted 08-15-15 05:44 AM CT (US)     27 / 31  
    Vote danielpereira

Why do we need a whole week to vote?
    posted 08-15-15 06:32 AM CT (US)     28 / 31  
    Quoted from Myself at Modding competition discussion
    I can try to host for myself,But I can update only week by weekThat is why I put a long deadline of 7 days for voting

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 08-15-2015 @ 06:46 AM).]

posted 08-15-15 07:32 AM CT (US)     29 / 31  
    Vote: Possidon

D E V A S T A T O R
    Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
    Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
    My AoE2 Youtube Channel
    posted 08-19-15 09:07 AM CT (US)     30 / 31  
    more votes please
    posted 08-27-15 00:17 AM CT (US)     31 / 31  
    if there is a tie in the voting, the person who picked the category (last round's winner) will cast the tie-breaker vote.
    I think time for me to tie-break

tie-breaker vote:danielpereira

Please select a new theme daniel

What about extending the deadline for entries to 2 or 3 weeks?

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 08-27-2015 @ 01:19 AM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » The Continuous Modpack Competition I - Current theme: "Anything you like" Voting Open until August 22nd!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames