Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My SeT guide (finally)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 22 September 2007 01:44 PM EDT (US)   
Ferral/Yoma’s SeT Guide.

Skip this if you would just prefer the practical stuff.

SeT is definitely my favorite god in AoT. It is quite fun to see the enemy’s early rush/raid thwarted by a few animals. He has many strategies, and playing him will give you greatvariety in your games. In other words, it is very hard to get bored playing as him (As opposed to something like Isis.)

I would like to start off my guide by saying why I spell SeT the way I do. To be honest, this is simply to differentiate between the verb “set” and the god (who isn’t very commonlymentioned due to his supposed UPness.)

Is SeT a UP god?
The answer is no. If you want to talk about a UP god, talkabout Gaia, or Odin.
SeT at least can counter cavalry and MUs. SeT can effectively counter every strategy with his one of his own. However, Isis is favored due to her OPness.

How Does SeT stack up against Isis?

I would prefer to use then both in different situations. SeT is quite better against more aggressive gods like Kronos, Loki, or Thor.
But Isis is better in matches where the enemy is playing a god like Hades, or Odin.

Start here for all the practical stuff.

What is SeT’s strategy?
Land:
Ok, you basically you are aiming for a ~5:30 advance. Grab hunting dogs as soon as you set up your granary.
Starting 2 villagers to food.
Next 3 villagers to food.
Next to houses,
3 To gold.
2 To Wood.
~5 more to food.
Temple around now.
Add vills to gold till you can advance, ideally ~3-4
Advance Ptah.

Transition: Queue 3 priests and Grab “Hands of the pharaohs”
Grab Pickaxe on your way to classical, and you may want husbandry too.

Classical:
Well, your priest should’ve been running around converting animals, and you should have the whole map scouted because of your animals. Get all your animals together, 4 priests, wadget, and pharaoh together and start messing with the enemy’s hunts. You may even kill a few villagers, depending on how far they are away from tcs/towers.

Keep Queuing villagers to whatever resource you need, get your armory up, and go heroic.

Transition to Heroic:
Grab Handaxe, and put ~4-5 food villies to wood

NOTE: The beauty of SeT is being aggressive in the classical, without sacrificing a good heroic advance time.

Heroic:
Build a forward miggy near a gold mine, and start mining from it. Put up a siege workshop too, with one of the villies.
Queue Chariots. They are probably the best unit you have access to. After your heroic, queue villagers to food, then you can start making elies. Hopefully the game will end by now.

NOTE: Please Don’t Make Camels……….

Water: SeT is a great civ on water.

What I usually do……..
1 vill and pharaoh to dock+house
Other starter to food.

4 more vills to food
5 to wood
NOTE: Don’t Forget Houses.
5 to gold
temple+monuement
Rest to food till you can advance.
Get Handaxe in transition to classical. Get Pickaxe if you are feeling lucky/have extra wood (on maps like highland where there is not a lot of fish to take.)

What I am doing during the BO. (meddit)
Step 1. Vision over Both the water and the land. This is because I want to find a good place to build my dock (near fish) and some pigs.
Step 2. Bring your 2 starting pigs over. They are your food source, do not build a granary.
Step 3. Use your initial Hyena to find more pigs and take them to your tc.
Step 4. Use your priest to convert animals. Try to use animals like lions as scouts, and later an army, and boars/buffalo as food. Always eat hunts (Meaty SeT animals) first, then proceed to pigs. You should delete the boars/buffalo, instead of wasting vill seconds to shoot arrows at it.

To be honest, you would be surprised how much food 5 vills and some ships can get you.

Step 5. Spam a lot of docks. The sheer number of your docks will inhibit you from ever losing water before you get heroic.

Once Heroic:
1. Start walling a side off, that way it is safe, and you don’t have to worry about the enemy gold starving you that way.
2. Spam Ships (siege ships/ram ships), Most of the times you will be grushed (galley rushed)
3. Get your miggy up and spam elies, they are easy to spam since you have a high food income. Spam barracks and miggys to get as many troops into battle as possible. You should be at pop limit as much as possible.

SeT god Choices:
Ptah vs. Anubis

Ok, IMO, it is better to go Ptah for a few different reasons.
1.Wadget is a great MU for killing villies early.
2. Techs that benefit the Axe, Sling, Spear instead of just the spear. (although fh is better than cf) but, semi fh is ok.
3. Shifting Sands- Probably one of the sneakier gps of SeT IMO. SeT is a sneaky god, this gp allows you to shift, more of less, your whole army to anywhere in your LOS. Maybe you want to SS some enemy units onto the hill on alfhiem? Or vision+ SS some goats on oasis. The possibilities are endless.
4. Shaduf- Best tech ever. Makes farms 33% cheaper.

Sekthmet vs. Nephthys
Nephthys’s Priest upgrades are pretty much invaluable. I suggest going her unless you are up against Isis. Then the ancestors gp is useless (monuments and priest), and the improved priests are useless, unless the enemy seriously MASSES scorps.

Skethmet:
Scarab is a decent MU, and with SeT, you can SS it, attacking buildings, and bypass the bad pathing of it.

Why to Go Skethmet against Isis?:
She has more bonuses (that you can use) in Isis vs. SeT. Her gp helps even out Isis’s pop advantage (and you can’t use ancestors anyway), and the bone bow tech makes your CA>his CA.

Thoth vs. Horus
If you FHed and have lots of miggys, go thoth, if you have classical fought, and have tons of barracks, go horus.

TBH, I prefer Thoth. His Elies are the best Multi-Purpose unit in the game.

NOTE on Classical Fighting:
The best way to classical fight as eggy is to make 3 barracks, then group them.
Hit the group button, then the hotkeys until your food/wood go to around 0. Then, if you have spare gold, queue priests. This helps use all of our resources as efficiently as possible.

SeT Against Other Civs:
SeT vs. Zeus
The key is scouting. Scout with your animals and see if he is going hop+mino, hop+archer+mino, or fm.

If he is going some kind of classical fight, you must classical fight, because of those OP hops, who will rape all your towers down, and kill your gold income.
If he goes FM, you have to Fh, and proceed as usual. Use ~15 neythstys priests to kill any colossus.

SeT vs. Hades
Some Combination of Slings, Siege, CA, and elies. Grab the shields up ASAP.
SeT vs. Possy
11. Elies+CA = gg

SeT vs. Thor
Put up a miggy, siege works and a barracks at a forward gold mine. Get a few spears out, and spam CA. Use spears and animals as meat shield, and have the CA slaughter any RC or whatever else he can be fielding. Be careful of husks, if they appear, start producing some axe.

SeT vs. Loki
If he rushes with Hersir:
Produce enough axe to fight off the intial rush, secure a new gold mine or 2, and hit the button for heroic.

If he goes Hall of Thanes Hersir:
Wall your whole base.
Be aggressive, don’t play defensive. Keep some priests and axe at home, while raiding with some more axe.

SeT vs. Odin
Spam elies for a gg.

SeT vs. Atty
Most atty go heavy on turma. You should semi fh, while producing slings and some priest. Try to secure a new mine. Precede heroic, get the cheaper priest upgrade, and spam priests +slings+ siege towers. Obliviously, go heavy on wood. Seriously, have ~20 on wood.

SeT vs. Krush
Same thing as against Atty. Consider wall segmenting your towers. Micro your starting priests+ pharaoh on those promies, but don’t let them get killed by early turma, or valored oracles. Use the animals to your advantage, and kill some early oracles, before they become valored ones.

SeT vs. Ra (isis like) (CA+elies+siege) and Isis
Make 2 or 3 elies, Half CA and half Slings. Micro!!! Slings -> CA CA-> Elies
Elies -> Are Meatshield Vills mining at forward mine ->enemy siege that are attacking miggy.
Make sure you have ~9 priests for the a/e. You may also want to consider classical fighing, since your slings are the best eggy classical unit.

SeT vs. Ra (camels+ CA+siege)
CA+elies
CA ->camels elies -> camels

SeT vs. SeT
Scout the enemy, and adapt to what he is doing.
I know this isn’t very specific, but this is what all civs have to do against SeT, because SeT can classical fight, or FH.

Odd Things/Insane Things to Try:
Some more Odd Ideas I have Come up With While Playing SeT:
1. Using purely animals to defend a forward tc, while grabbing it and classical fighting.
2. SS scrabs to destroy an enemy tc while fighting somewhere else
3. Villy Rush- Never done that one before. I suggest not to :S
4. SS: ~5 villies to attack docks on meddit while grushing, then once the docks are down, make barracks, and classical fight. 111111111111 sounds insane!! I don’t think it works.
5. Against Isis wall like crazy the gold, then classical fight. Put obelisks up, and then wait for him to start making a miggy. Take your troops (should be an army+ ~9 priest) and SS them to the miggy. Group your priests and focus fire the inevitable a/e. Use all other units on the miggy builders. NOTE: Only do these on rushes maps; don’t try on it on maps like Marsh or Watering Hole.

Special Thanks to ChongChong. He really helped me get a nice idea of what to do as SeT. (also for the BOs)'
Also to WNxWyldeOne, for helping me think of crazy new things to try as SeT.
And to AoTH_Dominat0r, who i am teaching. He helped me relearn some of the gods i had thought i had mastered.

Here it is; ChongChong recs. I probably have ~40 on my pc.

Thank God SCII finally has a release date but it so so damn far away...
ESO Name: AoTH_ZoOkEePeR

[This message has been edited by Ferral (edited 09-22-2007 @ 08:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 22 September 2007 01:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 35  
Hm..... Hope You Like it.
Took me around a week to write it. :S

posted 22 September 2007 02:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 35  
Nice Guide Ferral.

WNxWyldeOne:SeT rapes All?
G0D_Freq_Redhate: I wish i could prove you wrong but your too damn good lol.
Aom is a Drug....And i am high on it - Ferral

[This message has been edited by WNxWyldeOne (edited 09-22-2007 @ 02:10 PM).]

posted 22 September 2007 02:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 35  
I swear this is the most adjetating thing on earth.

People who play set call gaia UP, people who play gaia call odin UP, people who play odin call Possy UP, people need to stop its really effing annoying.

EVERY GOD CAN BE PLAYED!

now besides a few spelling errors, (idk what a hensir is?? haha perhaps a hersir who doesn't follow the norm) the guide IS decent, however a few things.

for the Krusher strategy, i would suggest differently.

I would say play cat and mouse games and avoid the units while continually leading into tower fire and fighting them (with villagers as you are in archaic), if you play proper cat and mouse you can kill almost everything they throw at you, or you can ALWAYS trick the enemy and then surround them, killing all with pharaoh/villagers (priests are off converting) then turn it around and as soon as you up, take the wadjet/animals and kill his vils (always attack with the wadjet first, this will cause the citizen to run instead of fight back automatically).

and for the villy rush/some strong animal rushes.

up by 4:50, for villy rush go strong gold with AQ priests and making apes/monkeys, SS (Shifting Sands) to his town center use priests to attack ox carts/villagers, and the villagers/animals to take down TC, build upon the TC as soon as you take it down, unless you don't have enough supplies in which case, you build on his gold mine and steal his gold =]... while you have the @home TC AQing villies toward a food source (so it will continually pump them) and send in a second wave if he/she happens to have rebuilt somewhere...

only suggested vs. norse or atlantean, also the best known counter to a loki rush IMO.
posted 22 September 2007 02:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 35  
idk what a hensir is?? haha perhaps a hersir who doesn't follow the norm)
never played much loki/norse. Idk what it is called.

UP gods are more challenging than regular gods, and give you an unnecessary handicap.

posted 22 September 2007 03:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 35  
Looks like a great guide ( i don't have time to read it right now but I'm gona print it and read it later) I think it should be Guide of the Month (unless of course i post my guide before the end of the month ) (I love parenthesis) ()

[This message has been edited by Superusername (edited 09-22-2007 @ 03:27 PM).]

posted 22 September 2007 04:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 35  
Recs please.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 22 September 2007 04:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 35  
if you play proper cat and mouse you can kill almost everything they throw at you, or you can ALWAYS trick the enemy and then surround them
Great strat....if you're playing against the computer.

The guide looks good. Maybe more in depth and recorded games.
posted 22 September 2007 04:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 35  
@agaw: there is no krushing computer unless you created the AI (or had your friend thomas do it =]), this has been tested against krushing real people.

what is the goal of a krush, to disrupt your economy.

how do you do this, you hit the villagers.

if the villagers continually bring you into TC fire, you aren't going to abandon your krush are you? no you are going to try and kill them anyway, and posisbly bring in some turma to run the outside, either way playing cat and mouse can get you to classical fine, and then you can take control from there.
posted 22 September 2007 05:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 35  
But villagers going into tc fire are vills that aren't gathering :S
EDIT: Recs please.
11. I have 3 recs atm. 2 Are actually games, the other shows how to ulf harass on highland.

TBH, it takes awhile to upload those games. :S It also takes awhile to find ggs i played as SeT.

BTW, i was almost postive that it was hensir, for they are never in battle against me too long. (11, i focus fire heroes, as everyone should)

[This message has been edited by Ferral (edited 09-22-2007 @ 05:08 PM).]

posted 22 September 2007 06:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 35  
hersirs are the unit name, but each hersir is given its own particular name for some reason (perhaps to make them cooler, as they are pretty cool), but yeah it's no big deal.

another off-topic thing: I Just realized Set has an ankh levitating above his hand, I never knew what that was before.
posted 22 September 2007 07:15 PM EDT (US)     11 / 35  
Ok guide... I can't believe you didn't put any ChongChong recs in! I would sprinkle about 10 in and then analyze them all and then post his build order... really ChongChong is almost everything you need to know about Set XD

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

posted 22 September 2007 07:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 35  
post his build order...
Well, i don't think i got my BO from thin air
(HINT,HINT,HINT)

(I copied ChongChong *cough* *cough*)

posted 22 September 2007 07:29 PM EDT (US)     13 / 35  
posted 22 September 2007 07:59 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35  
Well, more like adapted, although it is extremely similar.

posted 22 September 2007 08:42 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35  
Nice guide, but I think you really gotta try out the villy rush strategy. Even if it isn't the most effective strategy, it is the most halarious.

I love Marneus Calgar more than anyone else at Heavengames!
Accomplishments:
The Run Back Home (for AoM)(4.2),Arrow Key Movement (for AoM), WorldMap v2 (3.1)(for AoE3) Fight for Life RPG (For AoE3)
Work In Progress:
Click Upon an Old Man (30% complete)
posted 22 September 2007 09:28 PM EDT (US)     16 / 35  
Good guide, I like the use of pictures and the fact that you address a variety of situations.

Nice to see that you're hanging around

posted 22 September 2007 09:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 35  
Hells, Zoo Is actually cool :O once you get to know him

and

Yea, I know i have some wild ideas

WNxWyldeOne:SeT rapes All?
G0D_Freq_Redhate: I wish i could prove you wrong but your too damn good lol.
Aom is a Drug....And i am high on it - Ferral
posted 22 September 2007 10:23 PM EDT (US)     18 / 35  
@agaw: there is no krushing computer unless you created the AI (or had your friend thomas do it =]), this has been tested against krushing real people.
It doesn't matter if the computer can Krush or not. What you were saying:
if you play proper cat and mouse you can kill almost everything they throw at you,
means your opponent lacks any micro at all and will send all his units into tower fire, not caring what he is doing. No micro opponent=1400 or computer
posted 22 September 2007 10:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 35  
tower?

I said TC.

TC is unavoidable if you do cat and mouse games, now you are just arguing to hear yourself talk...
posted 23 September 2007 02:45 AM EDT (US)     20 / 35  
sticky!!!!!!!

nice guide

My first Kronos games I played on ESO Mid 2007.
Kronos(me) vs Possy~1600 to 1621 - Failed Raid Good Titan Recovery
Kronos(me) vs Kronos~1621 to 1636 - Very Awesome Successful Krush
Kronos(me) vs Loki~1636 to 1652 - Failed Krush Great Recovery
Member Since - 04-16-2007
Main ESO Names - RmC_Avatar, neva_wins, Norrin Radd
posted 23 September 2007 08:27 AM EDT (US)     21 / 35  
TC is unavoidable if you do cat and mouse games
Same thing. They both shoot arrows and you are saying your opponent is just going to let them go into tc/tower fire. lol. won't happen at a decent skill level.
posted 23 September 2007 09:20 AM EDT (US)     22 / 35  
And if your villagers are constantly running from raiders into safety, they aren't gathering.

posted 23 September 2007 10:50 AM EDT (US)     23 / 35  
Great guide! Small, simple and to the point.
posted 23 September 2007 11:53 AM EDT (US)     24 / 35  
nice guide.
posted 03 October 2007 10:17 PM EDT (US)     25 / 35  
eh, nice god man, but i dont excactly agree, attacking with animals isnt my idea of a solid strat, a few hersir, priests and a pharoh, or greek heros can beat them easily, then u have to figure out something becasue u dont know what to do. so yeah, i have a better idea,....
i will make a guide on isis... -.-
posted 03 October 2007 10:25 PM EDT (US)     26 / 35  
Not only with animals.
Animals+Priests+Pharoah.

[This message has been edited by Ferral (edited 10-03-2007 @ 10:26 PM).]

posted 04 October 2007 03:41 AM EDT (US)     27 / 35  
small addition:
In agressive raiding and classical fight you should prefer anubis because of tha anubites amazing raid abilities and its high speed. It will kill vills faster then a wadjet does.

Noobs do not excist.
There are just players and better players.
posted 06 October 2007 03:35 PM EDT (US)     28 / 35  
Uhhh...You said go Neph unless vs. Isis. Isis is the one god you HAVE to go Neph versus. Without neph preists, a/e will own you.

I'm tight.
posted 06 October 2007 03:42 PM EDT (US)     29 / 35  
????
how....
i often never get funeral rites. (early on)
You just need ~10 priests.

Take it from my guide....
Make sure you have ~9 priests for the a/e.

[This message has been edited by Ferral (edited 10-06-2007 @ 03:44 PM).]

posted 06 October 2007 11:11 PM EDT (US)     30 / 35  
I think this is good for a small guide. I must admit though that I think a much better guide could be done. This one seems very focused on one way to play through the build order you outline. It is a good build, but there isn't just one way to go about things. For example, you basically only talk about advancing through one god path but there are situations where your god path should change to give you a better chance to win. I would want to see more in the section you devoted to certain opposing gods to give the reader a better idea of how to play in different situations. Maybe in a future update. Lots of good info in there. Just needs some grammar and spelling fixes and I think it can be awarded guide of the month.

Only thing I think needs to be added:
You need Priests to go along with Ellies vs Odin or Frost Giants will beat you.

Confucious says, "Man who jump through screen door likely to strain himself."
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: