You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Aom 2 fold. Installed twice?
posted 27 December 2007 06:52 AM EDT (US)   
Is it possible to have the game installed twice? Because I have always wanted to have one with the TT installed and one without.

Why questions:

"Why not just install both becuase you can still play both with the TT installed"
That is WRONG! If you install the "New X Editor 3", Xentelian's AoT Bundle, "Nottud's SuperPack", extract the Data2.bar with AoMED or install some terrains and waterbodies you can no longer play AoM Vanilla.

"Why not just not install all of those additions on TT"
I will probably end up doing that if I can't install the game twice. Either that or I will have to buy another computer :0 (hopefully it won't come to that - although I do need another computer to keep designing The Making of Khan)

"Why would you want to play vanilla if you had TT anyways?"
Because it would challenge my ability to design. Also I can hardly remember what it was like design without TT. Not to mention it would make some peoples life become a whole lot happier

I haven't tried just in case it screws up my currently installed AoT ~ Khan

<||=================================||>
Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
{ "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

[This message has been edited by Steak And Khan (edited 12-27-2007 @ 07:15 AM).]

Replies:
posted 27 December 2007 07:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
Ok, it is actually possible - however you need to go through the data folder and DELETE ALL the xmb files that have been created by the editor. Leave the xml ones. Then if you play vanilla it rewrites the xmb files but they are now compatible with vanimlla. So you have all the addons that now work with vanilla! The only thing you will get is that the titans stuff will not work.

When you switch to titans, the xmb files are changed from vanilla to titans. (They just don't change from titans to vanilla for some reason without problems)

SO, just delete all the xmb files in data folder and problem solved until you play non expansion after playing titans again. (You can keep launching vanilla untill you run titans again)

Finally if you have a custom main menu file running you need to disable it otherwise the main menu on vanilla will be black and nothing will work.

The above solution is what I do if I want to play vanilla.

------

If the above solution does not work, install AOM and titans into 2 different locations but you shouldn't need to do that.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 12-27-2007 @ 07:37 AM).]

posted 27 December 2007 08:28 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
It's quite easy on a Mac. All I have to do is duplicate the directory and I have a game for playing online, a game for miscellaneous mod installing (downloaded and my own, most recently used for the MCM development), and one devoted to The Roman Legion.

I'd assume it's similar in Windows, although I haven't done a whole lot of that kind of stuff on the XP quarter of my computer. Either that, or rename your titans directory to Age of Mythology: The Titans, and then install vanilla in Age of Mythology. But I'm not sure whether or not there are other directories associated with the game on a Windows.

Sounds cool though, maybe I'll have some new stuff to play.
posted 27 December 2007 12:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
okay, well when I click on anything on the main menu screen (like any of the buttons "Tutorial" "Campaign" "singleplayer" etc) it shows the second menu (for singleplayer its got random map etc) for like half a second and then returns back to the main menu. Any ideas on why/ how to fix it?

I can get into load scenario if i do some hardcore clicking and I played one of my games that I made before I even knew about AoMH. Everything worked fine except one thing, I couldn't build anything, once I clicked the building I wanted to build, it would show at my cursor as normal. But as soon as I left clicked nothing happened I also deselected everything.

I made it into the editor the same way I made it into the load scen. And the same thing happend observe [Image][Image][Image][Image][Image]
~ Khan

[This message has been edited by Steak And Khan (edited 12-27-2007 @ 01:26 PM).]

posted 27 December 2007 08:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
Change the name of the installed directory. (i.e. Change the folder "Age of Mythology" in C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games to "Age of Mythology (2)". Then install again. Then when you want to switch between installations, change the names. The one that is called "Age of Mythology" is the one that will be played.

Cerberus- The three headed guard dog who guards the entrance to Hades; son of Typhon.
posted 27 December 2007 09:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
And how exactly do I do that when the first one is installed? the setup.exe on the disk just comes up with "uninsall" or "reinstall".

Wait, I read it again and now I get what you mean. Cerberus you are a god send. Thank you so much ~ Khan

[This message has been edited by Steak And Khan (edited 12-28-2007 @ 01:26 AM).]

posted 28 December 2007 02:12 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
Copy-Pasting the whole folder would have been a easy solution.

You will probably need to change the registry each time you want to play in a different folder - I think.
-invent00r

My Work: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WIP: Master XS Battle Micro AI
Paused: AI (%4.247)
Os segredos são de quem os souber guardar.
posted 28 December 2007 08:06 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
Nope, what tartarain said works fine. Also its impossible to set the installation path, without mods etc ~ Khan

posted 29 December 2007 05:22 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
okay, well when I click on anything on the main menu screen (like any of the buttons "Tutorial" "Campaign" "singleplayer" etc) it shows the second menu (for singleplayer its got random map etc) for like half a second and then returns back to the main menu. Any ideas on why/ how to fix it?
You are almost there! You just have forgotten to do one thing I told you to do. STOP YOUR CUSTOM MAIN MENUS FROM WORKING BECAUSE IT CAUSES THAT!

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 07 January 2008 05:00 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
confused i have (in my documents) a folder called Age of Mythology. There are two 'My Games' folders but one has a number in brackets after it...eg My Games(471) <--- not the actual number just some random typing..what I was wondering is..why? inside is an Age of Mythology folder with some of the folders...some empty....some with things in such as recorded games a few scenarios and one or two XMB files.

ninjapenguin981
I AM THE ALMIGHTY ETERNAL LOSER SISSY BOY

[This message has been edited by ninjapenguin (edited 01-07-2008 @ 05:03 PM).]

posted 07 January 2008 05:26 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
Also its impossible to set the installation path, without mods etc ~ Khan
Huh? You can install AOM anywhere...just don't choose Express Install.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
posted 08 January 2008 05:54 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
The problem is if the installer finds an install of aom already, it shows repair/uninstall instead of install. Thats why you have to rename the aom folder first.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? - Einstein, A.
Master XS - AoM Code Reference - Trigger Loader - Trigger Requests - Chess

Wow, I never thought that I would actually know something before nottud did... it's actually not all that satisfying ~ Steak
posted 08 January 2008 10:03 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
Just copy your AoM folder and remove all "x" files (for example: xpacklanguage, xsplahs, aomx, readmex etc. etc.)
and all "2" files (for example: data2.bar, anim2.bar, textures2.bar etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.)
and then stalt by clicking the aom.exe... seems quite simple to solve...

TBK_-_iDrug
"Because sometimes your posts seem to imply that you're a little high?" - RCM
"And sometimes "a little" is an understatement ;p ..." - Kyr
"I think TBK's subtly trying to tell us he does, but 'legally.' " - Norm
"Or maybe "slightly" illegal" - RCM
"Are you on drugs?" - Gamerrici
posted 08 January 2008 11:54 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
There is not even need to delete them. aom.exe won't use them, so the only reason could be crappy diskspace - which is rare these days.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? - Einstein, A.
Master XS - AoM Code Reference - Trigger Loader - Trigger Requests - Chess

Wow, I never thought that I would actually know something before nottud did... it's actually not all that satisfying ~ Steak
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Technical Help » Aom 2 fold. Installed twice?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames