Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Common Mistakes of the Common Designer
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 30 January 2005 12:13 PM EDT (US)   
I'm sure there are other threads out tere like this one. But I feel that with more design...erm...thingies being found, designing has become more complex.

First off, I classify myself as a common designer. To be negative to my myself, I'm a nobody. There are supernatural designers, like Oscar, innovative designers, like pftq, and a bunch of others. But common designers make up the bulk of the design commnity.

1) Trying to hard: Don't. If you are trying to add something new and innovative and cool, don't do it yet. If you do, it'll fry your brain to a crisp. First copy other scenario designers' trigger work and map design, then find your own feel.

2) Overly high expectations: This goes hand in hand with the above. Nobody expects you to make Birthright or the Lost Legion in a one hit KO combo. This is because nobody can. If you can't, then don't.

3) Time: is always against you. Don't set due dates for your scen, only vague ones. Otherwise, you'll get Fable, which was postponed for four friggen years.

4)The hump: Don't give up. If you hit the hump, and just can't go on, play a little random map, take a nap, w/e. Just leave the scenario alone for a while. Then gather your wits and start again.

5) Cinematics: Type in search 'cinematic tips' and find AoMPlayer's cinematic tips. While I'm no movie director/producer, at least I know my way around the neighborhood.

6) Gameplay: is always a little to bland or a little too hard. Striking a balance is hard, but once you get in the zone, imagination will strike the balance for you.

(lol, I accidentially submited it before it was done)

7)Imagination: Sure, we're all (err, most of us) pimple faced 14 year olds (I know all about you, don't I?). But it doesn't mean we can't have a good story line and strange new thingies. Like me, I created a whole gd planet for use in writing and scen design.

8) My last tip: Follow the flow for a little while. Then break the mold.

Anyway, those are my 8 tips that led up to my making of some of my scens. (I only have on up for download, lol. But I am in the making of a massive RPG...)

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
-=Join the Effort! Community Campaign!=-
-=Email me at: att.151(at)gmail(dot)com=-
-=My AoM:TT Tag=-

[This message has been edited by ATTEcLiPsE1 (edited 01-30-2005 @ 12:18 PM).]

Replies:
posted 30 January 2005 12:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31  

Quote:

Trying to hard: Don't. If you are trying to add something new and innovative and cool, don't do it yet. If you do, it'll fry your brain to a crisp. First copy other scenario designers' trigger work and map design, then find your own feel.

I disagree- you won't get anywhere without trying something new, for example-

Quote:

Nobody expects you to make Birthright or the Lost Legion in a one hit KO combo. This is because nobody can. If you can't, then don't.

Exactly. You have to keep trying something new in different scenarios so you can eventually combine it all into one innovative scenario (Like, for example, The Last Spartan which I made in Feb. 2004, contains some Birthright Elements I later refined for Bright).

posted 30 January 2005 01:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
I agree with some things as like finding and researching things so it can be the bast it can be, also I agree with copying other people's work that you think is good and then modify it (I do alot so it looks nothing like the other person's).In the end this guide is half true, but it's in the eye of the beholder I guess.

()(¯`._.Xero._.´¯))(
()Some Things)(
()Cannot)(
()Be Explained)(
()(- -))(
posted 30 January 2005 01:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
It all seems like a good guide to me. =P. But you can try using your own ideas from the start... if it doesn't work replace it with someone else's. Scenarios that have exactly the same idea as another are kind of boring, like all the "walk in a straight line killing tons of enemies and leveling up" rpgs that are out there.

The Night Tower
_-~:|Septenary|:~-_
posted 30 January 2005 01:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
Yea, those are all true, but these are aimed at the 'noobs' of design...but yea, everybody is right in their own way (and wrong too!)

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
posted 30 January 2005 01:26 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
Especially the ald FF RPGs they are annoying and boring, I mean you're right they walk fight walk some more and so on and so on.

()(¯`._.Xero._.´¯))(
()Some Things)(
()Cannot)(
()Be Explained)(
()(- -))(
posted 30 January 2005 03:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
Nice thread. I especially liked number 5) . Thanks.

Quote:

Sure, we're all (err, most of us) pimple faced 14 year olds (I know all about you, don't I?).

Hmmm..... No, you don't . I'm older .

Don't forget about playtesting though. There's a nice article about that in the Library, written by The Bard.

posted 30 January 2005 03:54 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
Nice guide.

Quote:

While I'm no movie director/producer

I am . Hence my name.

posted 30 January 2005 04:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 30 January 2005 04:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 31  

Quote:

I am . Hence my name.

Nope. FD2 don't mean anything. Your previous name does.

posted 30 January 2005 05:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
Nice guide

Quote:

I know all about you, don't I?

*shivers*

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 30 January 2005 09:06 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31  

Quote:

7)Imagination: Sure, we're all (err, most of us) pimple faced 14 year olds (I know all about you, don't I?). But it doesn't mean we can't have a good story line and strange new thingies. Like me, I created a whole gd planet for use in writing and scen design.

hahaha, i guess you are saying this from personal experiencej/k

I dont think most good designers here are exactly "geeks", i for instance have many other activities besides making stuff for RTS games(check siggy), and i'm sure other people do as well/

Quote:

Trying to hard: Don't. If you are trying to add something new and innovative and cool, don't do it yet. If you do, it'll fry your brain to a crisp. First copy other scenario designers' trigger work and map design, then find your own feel.

it depends. But i do agree with this. A newbie shouldnt start designing to find new tricks, but rather first learning the basics, and then when he has enough knowledge on the editor, he/she can start toying around to find new ways to design or to make something work with triggers.

Quote:

2) Overly high expectations: This goes hand in hand with the above. Nobody expects you to make Birthright or the Lost Legion in a one hit KO combo. This is because nobody can. If you can't, then don't

I desagree. Everyone can...though i doubt anyone else could make something better than The lost legion...i mean really, i'm amaized by the amount of trigger work into this scenario, totally worthy of a 5.0 but just as long as you have enough experience designing, triggering, ETC, then you can make something as huge as the lost legion.

Quote:

4)The hump: Don't give up. If you hit the hump, and just can't go on, play a little random map, take a nap, w/e. Just leave the scenario alone for a while. Then gather your wits and start again.

Totally agree, and Archeropix made a guide about this. I think this most happens because of an scenario idea not well builded, starting getting lazy when you realize how much work you have to do, and mostly this happens to people who really design every single day, they can easily get tired.

Quote:

6) Gameplay: is always a little to bland or a little too hard. Striking a balance is hard, but once you get in the zone, imagination will strike the balance for you.

difficulty levels conditions!

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 30 January 2005 09:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31  

Quote:

but just as long as you have enough experience designing, triggering, ETC, then you can make something as huge as the lost legion.

Or better. Isn't that hard, really.

posted 31 January 2005 12:55 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
EDIT

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)

[This message has been edited by slickman_g (edited 01-31-2005 @ 01:06 PM).]

posted 31 January 2005 01:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31  

Quote:

Or better. Isn't that hard, really

You never will make anything better than LL, I'm sorry.
posted 31 January 2005 04:26 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
Yeah, reading it over, I kinda have to agree with Auron...but I'll leave it as it stands. To me it makes sense, but w/e.

-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
posted 31 January 2005 05:11 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31  

Quote:

I would never make a comment like that.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 31 January 2005 05:27 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31  

Quote:

was that directed to everyone, or to guardian? in any way that post was offensive...it would be hard to make an scenario like that, but everyone can; you just need lots of time

posted 31 January 2005 05:42 PM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
The best advice is to be 13. Those of us in university or who will soon be in univesity can't spend 2 hours a day designing.

Quote:

My last tip: Follow the flow for a little while. Then break the mold.

This is actually good advice, but it's phrased lousily. It means that you'll get bored if you plan out your entire scenario and then design it. So follow your plans for a little while, then throw them out and head off at a ninety degree angle.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
posted 31 January 2005 06:33 PM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
I find some tips useful but much of it is directed toward newbies IMO. You can always make better scenarios than others. You just need the time and effort.

Over Highly Expectations: You may not actually finish but you'll learn much along the way.

And always try new things. I found that the Editor is FAR more capable than I originally thought. Nearly everything I wanted to do in the Editor was possible.

Quote:

(I know all about you, don't I?)

Actually no you don't. That is entirely wrong.
posted 01 February 2005 08:38 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31  

Quote:

I would never make a comment like that.

Quote:

was that directed to everyone, or to guardian? in any way that post was offensive...it would be hard to make an scenario like that, but everyone can; you just need lots of time

Actually to nearly everyone, because he said it wasn't very hard to make something better than the LL. And I don't think everyone could make a LL with enough time...

Anyway, it wasn't meant offensive in any way, although I admit, it probably sounds so... I'm sorry. I just wanted to stress that it is not easy to make something like the LL.

posted 01 February 2005 09:24 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
^ You're stressing nothing, infact, that's really a pessimistic way to look at things, if you ask me. Anyone can create something as good as anything in the downloads section as long as he puts time, effort and research into it. 'You can never make anything as good as TLL', that's just lame, sorry to say this AoMPlayer. Besides that, TLL isn't the only good d/w on the section. There are alot of scenarios on there that are of the same caliber.

Quote:

Actually to nearly everyone, because he said it wasn't very hard to make something better than the LL. And I don't think everyone could make a LL with enough time...

I even agree with Auron, for once. You're so 'OMG TLL is the greatest thing ever, nothing and nobody can ever beat it' and that's- ridiculous. Anyone can do it if he, like I said, puts the time, effort, and research into it. And like I said, TLL is excellent, is a great scenario, but there are and will always be other scenarios which are as good. In the future, some might even be better.

Quote:

Those of us in university or who will soon be in univesity can't spend 2 hours a day designing.

I agree. I probably won't be around for AoE 3, orprob. just one or two scns.

posted 01 February 2005 09:31 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31  

Quote:

^ You're stressing nothing, infact, that's really a pessimistic way to look at things, if you ask me. Anyone can create something as good as anything in the downloads section as long as he puts time, effort and research into it. 'You can never make anything as good as TLL', that's just lame, sorry to say this AoMPlayer. Besides that, TLL isn't the only good d/w on the section. There are alot of scenarios on there that are of the same caliber.

That's your opinion.

For the rest - prove it. I'd be pleased to see something better.

I wanted to stress (believe me, I know better what I wanted to stress) that it's not easy, not for you either, because that's what you sounded like.

Anyway, I don't care, as I said, I'd be pleased if you made something better, and moreover I know what I intend to write BTW.

Let's consider this as settled and not lead this further OT.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 02-01-2005 @ 01:55 PM).]

posted 02 February 2005 09:38 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31  

Quote:

To be negative to my myself, I'm a nobody. There are supernatural designers, like Oscar, innovative designers

what? Would I be a supernatural designer!?!?!?!??!?

Sincerely every time that I see my mates that have passed 4 exams more than me I regret having lost a so huge amount of time because of the realization of LL.
I'm not a supernatural designer, I'm a supernatural idler...

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 02-02-2005 @ 09:41 AM).]

posted 02 February 2005 03:05 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
^LOL

so you are saying you put the creation of an scenario over important test that will determine the future of yourself?

thats what happens when scenario designing becomes more than a hobbie but rather an obsession. but nevertheless, loosing those 4 test was worth it since you did an awesome scenario, Oscar!

So yes oscar, you are a supernatural designer with skills no one has ever seen in AoM before, and what does Idler mean? sorry but i'm not originally from USA either

posted 02 February 2005 03:57 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
It wasn't worth it. IMO Oscar don't sacrifice your future for scenario designing. I design because I'm in school, and we have time for 1-2 hours a day for it, but once I go to university I doubt I will be doing it anymore.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Common Mistakes of the Common Designer
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames