You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide: The 10 Commandments Of Scenario Design
posted 31 December 2007 07:37 AM EDT (US)   

In this article I hope to give inspiration and ideas to the new people who are desperate to get themselves and their scenarios noticed. If you follow these steps your scenarios should be great!

Thou Shalt See Other Maps

Before you jump into your scenario it is a very good idea to take a deep breath and look at other popular maps on AOMH. In the downloads section, there is a best files topic that only includes files rated 4.0 or higher by official reviewers. Although you might not see these being hosted, they are definitely worth checking out. You can see these files here. When you are looking at these, you will need to observe a few things. Lets start by the idea, an original idea tends to go down well with reviewers. Also pay attention to gameplay and eyecandy, are there any twists? And above all a storyline, more on that later.

Thou Shalt Be Original

No experienced designer likes to see another supremacy/escape/zelda clone. Lack of originality shows carelessness. They want to see new scenarios, with maybe a whole new concept! A good way to do this is having a Minigames Scenario or a minigame map. You can fit quite a few ideas in and some of them are bound to be original.

If you really are stuck for ideas, and cant think of anything that hasn't been done before, you could make an escape (or something else) but put a twist on it. I have seen an autoescape by Dannick where there are 3 teams of humans battling it out against each other and the hunters to survive. I myself started out by making twists on classic games - it can be extremely fun! Great ideas make great scenarios.

Thou Shalt Design Logically

It is usually always best to start a bit of terrain first and then do the triggers for that section. I really do not recommend doing them in big blocks as that can be very misleading.

Name your triggers, this is imperative. If you find a bug later on and you know its when Player 1 invokes rain, it would be far easier to find if you had taken the time to name your triggers rather than trawl through Trigger_1 to Trigger_47. This is a great timesaver - even in small scenarios.

Common sense is also a good thing to have. Make sure you have searched all the guide threads for anything to make your life easier. If you have random events, and want it all in one trigger, I strongly advise nottud's conditional effect triggers that can be found in his Editor Superpack.

Thou Shalt Have Cinematics

Cinematics are a god send. They force the players to listen to what you have to say. If you put all your instructions in the objectives banner, your map will be doomed to fail. The people who already know what to do will have pwned the other players in the time it takes them to read, and that's if they bother reading them at all! A cinematic can tell stories, lay out instructions or give hints. I recommend you have one at the start of your scenario to let the new people know what is going on.

But what makes a good cinematic? Just plain boring instructions will get people pressing alt f4 and begging for mercy. You need camera tracks giving good sight to some action, maybe a narrator or a fight. Music is also a must have to engage the players. Playing in silence is one of the big map killers, but it can be solved by having custom taunts but you reply completely on the players for that - never a good thing to do. Icons are also a great thing to have. Try some unique ones. If you have nxe3there will be a nice big list in the editor. You could also add dialog effects like fading text, if you have enough time.

A few good triggers to use are fade to colour and play dialog. Remember, including a : makes everything in front of it yellow and is great for names in play dialog.

Thou Shalt Use Grammar!

Grammar. You may disregard this but it tells the players a lot about you. If you were reading a cinematic what format would you prefer to see?:

TO PLAY TIS MAP GET UR MINO INTO DA PIT!!!!! - This is the worst thing you could do. It shows the designer did not even have enough intelligence to turn caps lock off and repeated use of exclamation marks is a big no-no. Bad words also show lack of care.

To ply thrw other mino in pit be4 u get thrown in 2! - A bit better but still bad. Most designers who use grammar treat this intro as a completely different language and fail to understand any of it. If they don't get the map, they'll resign before you can say 'Wait!'

To play, throw all your enemies into the pit of death before they do the same to you! - Perfect. Nice capital letters and a nice long text that could not confuse anyone. This is the type of grammar to go for, make sure you use it everywhere. It also makes sense. Word order is important too.

If you use grammar everywhere and have clear instructions, the 'What do I do?' messages will become increasingly less common and only used by people who cant read.

Thou Shalt Trigger Well!

Everyone loves good balanced triggers. Favouring in one players favour is especially dangerous. Your map will be seen as rigged and shunned. Make sure you test extensively to make sure bugs cannot give players advantage either.

High priority is so important it is nearly a commandment in itself. If your start trigger is not high priority, people will have a few seconds to act before the cinematic kicks in. High priority is a must for at least 90% of your triggers.

Also pay care to coding. If you are using colour code be especially careful. One wrong symbol and you get a trigger block. Your whole map could fall to bits if you do not locate these using a logical search method. This involves saving a backup and then deleting groups of triggers to narrow it down until you can find it and correct it.

Thou Shalt Eyecandy!

Not exactly needed but its still vital. Having just one terrain will show complete lack of care and people wont even bother to play your map. Mix the terrain and add embellishment objects like rocks and trees.

This leads me onto eyecandy critics. If one of these people get hold of your map and see a single thor hammer out of line, you can expect your score to take a dive. If you align objects perfectly, add embellishments and mix the terrain, you will give them no reason to do that. If you can get a 4 or a 5 from an eyecandy critic - you have done a great job! Its usually good to seek the critics out and ask them to playtest your map and take a look at eyecandy. They usually have loads of experience and can give you great tips.

Screenshots in showcases usually give people their first opinion. Eyecandy makes sure its a good one.

If you are bad at eyecandy (like myself) maybe enlist someone else to help you with the map, there's nothing wrong with that. Don't think that eyecandy is irrelevant. It is true that triggers are far more important than eyecandy, but totally ignoring it will make you number 1 on the eyecandy critics hit list.

Thou Shalt Have A Story!

Stories are the things that get people interested. nobody really wants to do an rpg if you just go around mass killing. Stories can turn the most dull RPG into something fun. Maybe something has been stolen and you have been sent to retrieve it? An old cliche is that the person who sent you is really the bad guy. Few people can pull this off well, and I would advise against it. Another old favourite is where you have to fight the map maker! I believe it was I that thought of that back in The Eternity Game (That never got released (Correct me if I'm wrong)).

A good ending always leaves people drooling for more. That way you could make a sequel or two. Make sure you end with a bang rather than a whimper. A gigantic battle scene with lots of special effects and loud noises is a lot better than just some text and a few camera cuts.

Thou Shalt Showcase!

If you don't showcase, nobody is going to know about your scenario. The most important thing is a good title. If you have a good reputation you don't need to worry, as just your name will attract people in. but if you are new you do not have that luxury. Try making the title sound as exciting as possible. At the top you might need a good banner, or at least some big text. Thou shalt know thine BB Code too. If you just have streams of text with no connectives or anything people will think its an eyesore and run away screaming.

Maybe have nice neat section like this guide, and clearly list your points. Tables are great too if you know how. A good tip is not to set a deadline until you are at least 50% through the project or people will hound you for it and that will take away precious test time. Its also a good idea to underestimate your progress. This makes you look really fast and releasing it ahead of your estimated deadline with everything done correctly also adds to your reputation.

Thou Shalt Bug Test!

Bug testing is your final obstacle. No matter how perfect you think your map is, you should test at least 25 times. Universal law dictates that as soon as you release your map and have given it to about 50 people, you will find a major bug. Bug testing is your last chance to avoid it. Don't let deadlines pressurise you. You will need to test every eventuality, consider every movement a player could make. Only then are you ready to release your map.

Conclusion

Hope the experienced designers also enjoyed the long read, and I hope the new people find it useful too. If you have anything to add please reply. Also say what you think of the guide.

Happy new year to you all, and watch out for the Battlefield Briefing!

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 06-06-2010 @ 04:00 AM).]

Replies:
posted 31 December 2007 07:53 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
I am AWFUL at eyecandy. I can blast through however many triggers you want me to do, but when it comes to putting that object within that object, shrink it, add this- sprinkle a few a these. I AM SCREWED.

Also, I'm quite disappointed you did not mention my Anti Escape when you were talking about putting a new twist on an old game. Gosh, running from moving statues bolting lightning at you... Irony!

Honestly, THOU NEEDS MANY TRIGGERS/TOOLS AT THEE DISPOSAL. That is so important. I was quite good with just the basics, but the more triggers I have, the better I seem to become.

As for your comment on RPGs, I'm planning on making a single player one. Focusing on bosses, everyone loves a boss they need to challenge 5 times to beat.

Overall, good guide. But really, once you get past the newby phase of designing- there's 500 Commandments.
posted 31 December 2007 07:54 AM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Agreed, I was designing this for new people. Maybe I should post the 500 Commandments up ?

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
posted 31 December 2007 07:56 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
No, get back on editor. Finish monopoly! Me wants that download.
posted 31 December 2007 07:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
If you rush me I could always drop the percentage complete by 5 .

posted 31 December 2007 08:02 AM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
Everyone knows you lie about overall finishedness (probably not a word, but give me credit- it's 5am.) Doing so will only prove that you're actually 95% complete overall, and you're playtesting it with rabbits while eating cookies on your evil throne on Whitechapel Road.
posted 31 December 2007 08:28 AM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
Mayfair . And I am actually being truthfull on the percent complete. For once.

posted 31 December 2007 08:55 AM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
Nice gudie. I agree with many of the points you make, especialy about grammar. However you should include in the grammar such that spelling and spell-checking is important. Silly mistakes like that annoy other players.

In addition, I think you should point to not only the official top rated but the top rated by standard members section as you can find a more concise list of usually decent scenarios. Not that they don't do a good job, because they do, but I find the official reviewers quite lenient as a rule.

And highlight single-player scenarios rather than multiplayer. Whilst multiplayer has it's purpose if somebody wants to get recognised within the AOM community multiplayer is not the way to go. Whenever I hear a new multiplayer scenario being release I switch off after the first paragraph of the showcase. There is a market on ESO for games like Escape etc because they fun and easy and, let's face it, nothing in comparison to some of the singleplayer games one can find in top-rated. Whilst I understand that you yourself are a multiplayer designer, I believe your guide should be less unilateral and more universal.

ROME: 78 BC | | | | | THE LOST RUINS
Rome in your hands | Of Ancient Mesoamerica

AOMh Member since 2004

[This message has been edited by AnnoDominius (edited 12-31-2007 @ 09:00 AM).]

posted 31 December 2007 09:03 AM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
Great guide! But I do agree that you shhould add "Thou Shalt Use All Triggers and Tools at Your Disposal"

Cerberus- The three headed guard dog who guards the entrance to Hades; son of Typhon.
posted 31 December 2007 09:23 AM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
A good guide. The only thing lacking, I think, is focus on SP scenarios and possibly campaigns.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 31 December 2007 09:57 AM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
Yeah, it needs more things for single player. Other than that, I love it

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 31 December 2007 10:11 AM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
Ok, but I have absoluetely no experience in singleplayer whatsoever! yet... Maybe add how to make it a challenge?

posted 31 December 2007 01:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
I think that I will go through these points in order:
Thou Shalt See Other Maps
I think that this is a very important point, if you don't know what other maps are like it is almost impossible to start out with any sort of idea of what to achieve. Be careful when looking at maps not to take too many ideas from other maps otherwise (leading onto Yeebaagooon's next point) your scenario does become very unoriginal. I know lots of people like doing the map that Oscar uses in The Lost Legion.
Thou Shalt Be Original
Another very good point, you're definitely right about Zelda and escape I know whenever I used to go online I would always avoid Zelda's and if you're making a map you want people to play not avoid it. Very good points for "Thou Shalt Be Original".
Thou Shalt Design Logically
You have a very good point when it comes to the naming triggers. I have been through the process when there is a bug in my map and it takes ages to find where it is because I haven't named the triggers. Groups are also very useful but usually for bigger maps.
Thou Shalt Have Cinematics
I think this is a interesting thing to have on the list, I think that you're right to put it there and I wouldn't have thought to have it on there but I think you're right, the thing about Objectives Banner is that not everyone looks at it and the people who do get killed on Multiplayer maps and on Single player maps, you could be missing out on instructions and other things going on. Be careful when making Cinematics you need to be careful not to do what I call a Bouncer which is when the camera track flows normally and then suddenly starts bouncing and going weird.
Thou Shalt Use Grammar!
Yes this is very true, I have been on too many maps when the instructions include..."TIS", "!!!!!!!!" and my least favourite is when the person shortens the noun, such as in Yeebaagoon's example: "MINO". The reason that people don't like this is not just because it makes the story hard to understand but also it makes the map less professional. You can't be too strict when it comes to spelling one or two mistakes per few sentences is fine, it is a shame when there are lots of mistakes and as said before can become hard to understand. (I know that I will have made spelling mistakes in this paragraph alone)...
Thou Shalt Trigger Well!
It is hard for me to say much about triggers as I am not very good at them I can do the basics but Quest Vars and such don't cease to baffle me. All I know is be careful with spelling when coding otherwise as Yeebaagooon said, it really can turn a small problem into a disaster when making your map.
Thou Shalt Eyecandy!
I find that the most fun part of making a map is the eycandy and the map design, there are lots of styles of eyecandy all of which work and all of which are good. But when there are large bits of Grass A, bad, boring forests and cities with buildings that are made out of only one type of building (what I mean by that is I find eyecandy buildings can be made when the building is made up of lots of different buildings...make sure they are all the same race I can't stand it when Egyptian eyecandy is mixed with Norse, or Greek or Atlantean. Remember to mix terrain.
Thou Shalt Have A Story!
I don't have a lot to say about this only that in single players a story is very important, fortunately in maps I find that most RPG's have stories, even if they're not strong. The problem comes with Multiplay games...90% of the time multiplay games don't have a story and for some reason the designer doesn't seem to think that a story is important, it is!. I have to commend Yeebaagooon who in many of his Multiplayer games has had a good, strong storyline.
Thou Shalt Showcase!
Definitely important to Showcase, it is true that I hardly ever download maps that haven't bee showcased. I find that screenshot in a showcase are essential for a scenario to be successful. You really shouldn't make a Showcase until you are only a few weeks of finishing, a fine example of this is Parsifal who unfortunately has made his showcase far before the deadline and so his scenario will not be as exciting as it could be when it comes out. Remember it doesn't matter if you make a showcase after the map is out, as long as it is soon after.
Thou Shalt Bug Test!
This goes without saying; I have played lots of maps where if you can escape through a small gap in the land then the whole map is ruined. When I playtest what I do is try and find a problem with the map so, try and look for places that I could cheat. Don't just go through the map as you are supposed to, because you know where you are supposed to go but people who are playing for the first time will stray of the path and find places you maybe aren't supposed to go. Also it is important to get other people to playtest for you, they maybe able to see things that you can't.

All in all a very good set of guidelines and I think it will help a lot of people when they make their own maps.

Caribdus

I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible
posted 31 December 2007 03:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
Interesting but yes I think it is a good idea. However I don't mind about escapes and stuff as long as it has a twist of some description!

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 31 December 2007 04:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
make sure they are all the same race I can't stand it when Egyptian eyecandy is mixed with Norse, or Greek or Atlantean.
Wouldn't that depend a bit? Some buildings go quite well with eachother, especially Greek and Atlantean, and depending on which age the owner's in, there might be some really great mixes.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 31 December 2007 04:53 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
Egyptian and Atlantean, in their early ages go well together. Fourth age egyptian and greek go quite well, too, cause both are predominantly white.

░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░
posted 31 December 2007 10:48 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
Very good guide, but in here you advise the reader to make the map in small chunks. Do alot of people do this? I find it easier to design first and then work on the triggers rather than do them both at the same time. Then again, this is only my personal prefrence, and I havn't spent much time trying out the latter.

I love Marneus Calgar more than anyone else at Heavengames!
Accomplishments:
The Run Back Home (for AoM)(4.2),Arrow Key Movement (for AoM), WorldMap v2 (3.1)(for AoE3) Fight for Life RPG (For AoE3)
Work In Progress:
Click Upon an Old Man (30% complete)
posted 01 January 2008 00:40 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
Some stuff I could of used for my showcase thread where hardly anyone posted, I should update the main post and add all the new screenshots. About 50% is done already.

<3
posted 01 January 2008 01:41 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
When it comes to designing a scenario I put a basic layout- do some triggers that are vital to the scenario and don't include map detail. I detail beginning parts, do some triggers...

But I'm getting offtopic...
posted 01 January 2008 04:03 AM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
Add this to the guide?
posted 01 January 2008 06:47 AM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
Lol, maybe. But its about Scenario Design, not posting.
Very good guide, but in here you advise the reader to make the map in small chunks. Do alot of people do this? I find it easier to design first and then work on the triggers rather than do them both at the same time. Then again, this is only my personal prefrence, and I havn't spent much time trying out the latter.
I'm aiming this at new people, small chuncks makes them less likely to give up.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Guide: The 10 Commandments Of Scenario Design
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames