loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoM2 by PUBBY8 thread
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 14  Next Page »
posted 23 July 2010 09:07 PM EDT (US)   

Age of Mythology 2 by PUBBY8 thread

http://pubby8.wordpress.com/category/eom-aom2//

What is it?
Spiritual succesor to AoM. Will have many similarities to AoM, however it will not be called AoM2 if completed.

What gods?
Will have the same gods as AoM vanilla, however isis has been swapped with osiris. Many minor gods will be the same, however some will be changed.

Will there be new civs?
After the 3 major cultures are done this can be discussed. Possible new civs would include china, native americans, and atlantean.

How is it being made?
C++ with openGL. Being made with all free software - blender, gimp, audacity, etc. It is not using an already existing game engine.

What OS will it work on?
Ports to linux and mac should be very possible.

System Requirements?
Most likely similar to AoM - however most likely requires more than AoM. You will not need a fancy graphics card, however I will utilize features on newer cards.

When will it be done?
In a long time, if ever, however once I get the engine done it will be playable demo.

Will there scenarios? campaigns? online?
After the main game gets done, I'll add multiplayer and balance it. I will add scenarios when the rest of the game is complete.

What changes will there be from AoM's Scen editor?
I want to ditch triggers and instead use scripting. It will be much more flexible. RMS will use the same scripts and so triggers will carry over.

What will the graphics be like?
Similar to AoM. I want it to run fast with lots of units as AoM does on modern hardware.

Will it cost?
I accept gold bars and large amounts of crack cocaine.
Oh wait, it's free.

How can "I" help?
You can't - yet. Programming will all be done by myself. I can also do modeling, texturing, music, sounds, etc myself, however if I find this to be too tedious I will ask for help. Please do not take it into your own hands to create stuff for this game unless I specifically ask you for it.
Posting ideas here would be nice.

This is not a promise to a created game, nor should it be concreted evidence that this game will be completed. I will try hard to get it finished, however I may not.

Post ideas/comments if you have any

[This message has been edited by Mr Pubby8 (edited 02-27-2011 @ 03:09 PM).]

Replies:
posted 16 March 2011 04:13 PM EDT (US)     226 / 329  
You will be able to mod textures and animations.

Dunno what you mean by "same concepts"
posted 16 March 2011 05:14 PM EDT (US)     227 / 329  
Dont forget the Kuna! I think the campaign should take place in my homeland, Panama.
I have already promised venezuelan government that the campaign will take place there.
posted 16 March 2011 05:36 PM EDT (US)     228 / 329  
Venezuela? Kewl, thats where i live.

Recovering the lost artifact i made a damn long time ago. Assasins v7. Stolen by many unknown creatures, what have i done?
" They say i can't wear a chefs hat in saturn surrounded by pie, is it true? "
Games playing
Minecraft [50%]
AOM:TT[40%]
Perfect World International Genesis [10%]
posted 16 March 2011 05:41 PM EDT (US)     229 / 329  
posted 16 March 2011 05:57 PM EDT (US)     230 / 329  
Dunno what you mean by "same concepts"
you got what i meant

posted 17 March 2011 07:15 AM EDT (US)     231 / 329  
yay for pubby for still working on this after about 5 months.
posted 17 March 2011 10:26 AM EDT (US)     232 / 329  
Excellent title. Good luck on the project.

I think FOG.
posted 17 March 2011 01:54 PM EDT (US)     233 / 329  
I think it's been 7 months.
posted 17 March 2011 04:40 PM EDT (US)     234 / 329  
8 I think...

"I even heard rumors of a return of the SST (hint, hint..)" - Elrich

You heard it folks... Spam him until he makes a new SST thread!
posted 17 March 2011 07:13 PM EDT (US)     235 / 329  
nein

No wait, 8.5.

I got start date around June 6th.
posted 18 March 2011 08:13 PM EDT (US)     236 / 329  
If you need help with the models let me know , I may have time to help with some stuff,
posted 19 March 2011 04:10 AM EDT (US)     237 / 329  
well thats even better, i calculated it on when this thread was made.
posted 20 March 2011 05:59 PM EDT (US)     238 / 329  
More questions!

How advanced will the AI be?

Will there be a editor? If so,

Will the triggers be user friendly like AoK?

What are you currently working on?

What's finished?

Recovering the lost artifact i made a damn long time ago. Assasins v7. Stolen by many unknown creatures, what have i done?
Games playing
Minecraft [50%]

[This message has been edited by Andres12345 (edited 03-20-2011 @ 06:02 PM).]

posted 20 March 2011 06:12 PM EDT (US)     239 / 329  
How advanced will the AI be?
Better than AoMs.
Will there be a editor? If so,
yes
Will the triggers be user friendly like AoK?
Dunno what you mean. I want to make it similar to AoM's, but with scripting capabilities.
What are you currently working on?
Renderer
What's finished?
A lot of renderer, a lot of base code, and some of gameplay code. Still a ton to do.
posted 20 March 2011 06:58 PM EDT (US)     240 / 329  
I mean like, easy to use.

Games playing
Minecraft [50%]
posted 20 March 2011 07:26 PM EDT (US)     241 / 329  
What's a renderer ?

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
posted 20 March 2011 07:33 PM EDT (US)     242 / 329  
Pubby have you ever considered using engines like Unreal and Unity? They're like the top engines in the US. I know it's probably a little way too late to inquire.

[This message has been edited by Aom Expert (edited 03-20-2011 @ 07:34 PM).]

posted 20 March 2011 09:11 PM EDT (US)     243 / 329  
I thought the Unreal Engine was for 1st-person shooter games, such as the games it currently is used for (Unreal, UT99, UT2k3 + 2k4, UT3)
Although I suppose it WOULD be possible to use it to a certain extent.

It started with a low light; Next thing I knew they ripped me from my bed
And then they took my blood type; It left a strange impression in my head.
You know that I was hoping; That I could leave this star-crossed world behind
But when they cut me open; I guess I changed my mind.
------------------------------------------
Hmm.. How about FAIL for another twat Member of the Month :P ~BSU_DoLhades
posted 20 March 2011 09:17 PM EDT (US)     244 / 329  
Definitly not. The view can be moved to anywhere, just like AoM.

posted 21 March 2011 07:18 AM EDT (US)     245 / 329  
Now that I think about it, you're right. But pubby said he wanted to do it completely by himself... :/

It started with a low light; Next thing I knew they ripped me from my bed
And then they took my blood type; It left a strange impression in my head.
You know that I was hoping; That I could leave this star-crossed world behind
But when they cut me open; I guess I changed my mind.
------------------------------------------
Hmm.. How about FAIL for another twat Member of the Month :P ~BSU_DoLhades
posted 21 March 2011 07:58 AM EDT (US)     246 / 329  
A lot of those engines are a hassle, you normall have to learn a new language, as well as a new interface.

Not to mention the fact that they are primarily designed for FPS' and RPGs more than anything.

"I even heard rumors of a return of the SST (hint, hint..)" - Elrich

You heard it folks... Spam him until he makes a new SST thread!
posted 21 March 2011 08:49 AM EDT (US)     247 / 329  
I think half the reason Pubby decided to do this was to just so how much he could do, like a test but with a useful result.
posted 21 March 2011 03:05 PM EDT (US)     248 / 329  
I actually tried both UDK and Unity but:

1) I'm not sure about UDK but to get a full license for Unity you have to pay a lot (~$1500).
2) It's not likely you download them and you can create any game at your wish. They surely simplify code a lot but it's a sweetened code that doesn't give you a full view of game mechanics, at least from my experience. And you still need good textures, models sounds, etc., they don't appear magically.
3) UDK requires at least 8GB ram to run smoothly (in fact in my 4GB pc it run laggy). Unity is a bit faster but still heavy.

So I fully approve Pubby that is doing it all by himself, and I'm running on that road too now.

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
posted 21 March 2011 03:12 PM EDT (US)     249 / 329  
What's a renderer ?
Stuff related to the 3d graphics.
Pubby have you ever considered using engines like Unreal and Unity? They're like the top engines in the US. I know it's probably a little way too late to inquire.
Unreal is for more for FPS, as the games are very different. I'm sure you could it for RTS, but it has been optimized for FPS and would be the wrong tool.
Unity is a great thing, however I am turned off by it because many "noobs" flock to it.

I also thought about using Ogre in the beginning, but it turned out that it didn't fit my needs, and the OO nature of the library made it overly complex.
A lot of those engines are a hassle, you normall have to learn a new language, as well as a new interface.
Yeah, I probably would have to make a few smaller games before I'd do AoM2, as I wouldn't know the interface. The programming language isn't such a big deal to learn, however it does take months to learn the small details and best-practice quirks.
Not to mention the fact that they are primarily designed for FPS' and RPGs more than anything.
Yes. There is big difference in outdoor fps, indoor fps, and rts. The nice thing about AoM-style rts is that it can be highly optimized and has special cases very different from other genres.
I think half the reason Pubby decided to do this was to just so how much he could do, like a test but with a useful result.
Yeah, and I wanted to learn modern 3d graphics. You really can't learn them unless you do a huge project like this.
posted 21 March 2011 03:17 PM EDT (US)     250 / 329  
1) I'm not sure about UDK but to get a full license for Unity you have to pay a lot (~$1500).
Yep. I think unity is free, unless you try to sell anything.
While I intend for game to be free, I do want option to go commercial, and don't want to shell out thousands of dollars.
2) It's not likely you download them and you can create any game at your wish. They surely simplify code a lot but it's a sweetened code that doesn't give you a full view of game mechanics, at least from my experience. And you still need good textures, models sounds, etc., they don't appear magically.
Yeah, you have less power over things in exchange for shorter development time.
3) UDK requires at least 8GB ram to run smoothly (in fact in my 4GB pc it run laggy). Unity is a bit faster but still heavy.
Yeah, EoM should run on practically anything - as I write it to support many many computers.
So I fully approve Pubby that is doing it all by himself, and I'm running on that road too now.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 14  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » AoM2 by PUBBY8 thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames