loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Golden Ring : Beta game 3
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 06-13-08 07:43 PM EDT (US)   
Game 3 ; 4 player basic

1 - Kyr the Outcast - FROSTLINGS - JamesEde - jamieede AT yorku DOT ca - gmt -5
2 - Glim Glendon - DWARVES - NaecO -nguyen dot huyhai at gmail dot com - GMT +1
3 - Gin Sh'iar - DRACONIANS - Lord Duck - GMT +1 - lordduckk at gmail dot com eliminated by orcs, day 23
4 - Ankrock Anblock - ORCS - Rheno - pjvw AT live DOT nl sub - mr lifflord

turn order may not be correct. I'll fix later.

see post here for some more map info:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=25&tn=3784&st=30#post31

I also recommend that everyone use a password for their turns, and to send it to me at
aow_pbem_pass@hotmail.com, or send it to another password keeper!
Its a great service... Use it!

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 08-27-2009 @ 04:29 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-15-08 03:35 AM EDT (US)     1 / 139  
How does one begin to tell the history of Kyr, the Outcast?

He was born the second son of a great clanchief. But chiefdoms do not go to second sons. At his father’s death, his duty became that of supporting his brother Kovar. But Kyr was proud. He chafed at his position of ‘first servant to the chief’. He spoke out against his brother, and declared that he would start a new tribe. Taking a good part of the people of the western lands, he sailed through icy waters to found a new chiefdom.

And for some years, it was well. The hunts were good, the people ate their fill. Kyr, now sobered under the weight of leadership, learned wisdom and compassion. For his small people, who had given up so much to follow him into exile, he became both a ruler and a healer. Yet, he retained the pride that had led him there, thinking often of how much he had built up, how his own son would one day take up this small but prosperous chiefdom.

But his brother was also proud, and had not forgotten the insult of so many years past. Kovar’s wolfriders and ships ranged far over the west, seeking always Kyr. He goaded his people to war, preaching of the threat Kyr posed. He painted Kyr a madman who would kill those he could not rule. When scouts returned with the location of Kyr’s camp, he put forth his hunters.

There came a night without moon, when Kyr and his people awoke to the howling of wolves. Seeing the odds, Kyr knew that battle was hopeless. His duty became the survival of those who could escape. Gathering all he could of his people, he and a few desperate guards fought their way to the docks, escaping on those very same ships that had taken them hither. His son, away on a hunting party, was left behind to face death.

Now, out of the east, two ships reach a new land. And the first to step off is a man old before his time. In the long months of their escape, both he and his remaining subjects have seen their numbers dwindle. Four were the ships that escaped that night. Two now rest under the icy waters, and they form the grave of many, including Kyr’s wife. Kyr has been forever cured of his pride. He seeks nothing for himself, but only an end to his people’s suffering. Here he will rebuild his kingdom, or die.

Day 1

The Gods smile upon us at last! We have reached land. I do not know what we will find, nor if any live here, but we can sail no further. There is no going back across that cold ocean. Myself and my people must bury the past and set about survival. We have founded a settlement on a tiny island just off the coast. It should provide some protection from any foes that may inhabit this land, be they beast or speaking-creatures. Scouts were sent across the ice, while I lead the last remnants of my hunters into a mountainous area in search of provision. My people have paid dearly for their loyalty to me, a foolish old man. They are strong, but their strength cannot last much longer. We must find food and shelter.

We must survive!

posted 06-15-08 06:21 AM EDT (US)     2 / 139  
Glim Glendon, the Dwarf

We woke up in a cold morning. 'Look outside' said Glendon 'Every thing's covered in snow! I can't believe we have to face the winter so soon. I did not even have a chance to feel heat of summer'.

Glendon took a shovel and went outside to clear the snow off his front yard.

- Wake up! We have a lot of work to do today. We must go check our gold mines. Thi terrible snow storm might have buried them

- Namexa, you go to our basement and see if it's snowed in. Also, do something to prevent water leaking to the basement when the snow melt. Make haste !

The rest went to the mines with Glendon. 'You were right Glendon.' said Frawd Naretev 'The mines are all buried in snow. It'll take us days of hard work to reopen all of them.'

- Look ! - One shouted in terrify - A goblin rider ! It's flying over one of our mines!

The look on Glendon's face got intense.

- Let's hurry! We have to recover our mines quickly. Our peaceful days may end sooner than we wanted to. Frawd Naretev, you'll be in charge of combat training from tomorrow. I'll have to go looking for the old book that my uncle Milg'd left before he went on adventures with Fladnag. There're probably something useful we can use against the goblins. My uncle was too kind to leave the goblins in their holes and now this is the way they are saying thank you. I won't let that happen to my sons. Hurry! Make haste everyone !

ts

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 06-15-08 10:10 AM EDT (US)     3 / 139  
Edit*** Oh I now see that I am the Orcs and that the opeingpost has a different list. I guess then that lordduck sent me the wrong file. I will ask for a resent.

I think something went wring. I received the turn from Lord Duck. It is now the draconian turn. I am suppose to play the orcs and lordduck is behind me. I am guessing NaecO sent the file to the wrong person?? Since Lordduck has not made a post yet I think it is best if Naeco sents me his turn, so i can play with the orcs. I was kinda hoping to play with them.

[This message has been edited by Rheno (edited 06-15-2008 @ 10:12 AM).]

posted 06-15-08 10:22 AM EDT (US)     4 / 139  
The turn order in the top is incorrect, I just played the draconians turn, wich I got from NaecO

turn resend

[This message has been edited by LordDuck (edited 06-15-2008 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 06-15-08 11:55 AM EDT (US)     5 / 139  
I changed the top post - hopefully the turn order is correct now.

I didn't have a GMT for Rheno, so I hope the turns run smoothly.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-15-08 03:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 139  
I don't know who would be the next player. I just sent to the in-game address.

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 06-16-08 05:56 AM EDT (US)     7 / 139  
In the main tent of Ankrock Anblock encampment.

Ankrock Anblock: So you understand your task then miserable grunt! You will take a horse and ride as fast as you can to the citadel of Hyjal. It is there, and only there you will deliver this message. Ride swift and ride safe. Do not fail me for I will not tolerate it. Don’t waste any more of my time. GO NOW!

************************Letter************************

To the great Archmage Jubei’thos; Grandmaster to the Cult of the Forsaken,

Kar Arnos my Master, as promised I write you this letter to keep you abreast of the situation. This journal contains my actions of the first day after arrival in these new lands called Varimathras. It was wise of you to send me when you did for there is much work that needs to be done here. My presence has caused great fear among the troops already and it has made their actions more swift, more purposeful. Although the warlord commander you have sent already launched an attack on the village Cold flame, the town of Stone’s throw still stood. He has not yet outlived his purpose but once he does I will undo him for these sins. I have taken command of the armies and commenced the attack - that should have been launched so many days ago - myself. The victory was swift and total. It was then – my lord - that I realized my quest will take longer than expected. The villagers of both cities claim to have never heard of the item we so desperately seek. Even after sacking their villages and killing all inhabitants – male, female and children alike – they still gave up no information about the Golden Ring. I have decided to set up camp in these lands and to fortify my position. Tomorrow we will reach suitable lands and set up base camp in these cursed Icy lands. With your permission I will sent forth a messenger to the necromancer cult of Kil’Jaeden. With their help I may reanimate the ruins that were once called Stone’s throw. There voyage and ceremonies will likely take many days but I deem them necessary. I would also like you to know that the items you have sent me did indeed reach me today. I will put them to good use. As soon as I have more developments to report I will sent new messengers to you, my lord! I will prevail master, I will triumph for I am part of the side that always wins. My enemies will have no other choice than to follow us or die.

Ner Arzul My Leech! May death protect us all!

Signed,

Ankrock Anblock
posted 06-17-08 02:21 AM EDT (US)     8 / 139  
Kyr the Outcast

Only our second day in these lands, and already we find more blood and war.

Our scouts came across a distress signal, only to learn of an invasion of orcs slaughtering the local frostling population. It is good to know that our people inhabit these lands too, but orcs? That is not so good. Even here in the north, their ways are known. Warlike and cruel, we have not the strength to face them. It seems there will be little safety in these lands, but there is no returning over so wide a sea.

How much longer shall my people suffer for my mistakes. I ordered an assault upon a mine. My people need this gold for provisions. But the cost was high. A wolfrider and snowscraper fell to the foul bugs guarding it, while several others were severely injured. In my mind I weigh the outcome. The gold will help us to thrive, but I cannot stand to lose any more of my few remaining soldiers. They follow me, yes. They trust me, yes. But I do not deserve their loyalty. Too many times have they paid in blood for my rash decisions.

One of my younger raiders asked if I was not happy in the victory. He sees in me a great leader, and I mask my thoughts and join the triumph. My people must not know the doubts that plague me, else the little joy the founding of our new colony has brought will disappear on the icy wind. They followed me into exile, murder, and second exile. I will not dishonour that trust. There is nothing left but to carry on, and give my people the confidence they need. But oh, the weight of leadership is a heavy burden.

posted 06-17-08 05:44 AM EDT (US)     9 / 139  
Glim Glendon the Dwarf, day 2

- Glendon, several of our mines have been recovered. said Reenigne. However many others over the mountain are deeply buried in snow and there are creatures and humans inhabit in the mines shelter. Should we ask them to leave?

- Yes, we have to, answered Glendon. Our mines need to be operational as soon as possible. Frawd Naretev has begun his training and recruiting. We need gold for that. Still you should ask them nicely and probably offer them to help us if they want to. Show them the courtesy of the dwarf.

Then Glendon turned to Frawd and talked:

- We have a number of boars in the backyards for food during winter, but now can we use them for combats?

- Probably, yes, why not? But that will cost us a lots more gold to hire people to train them and then train our men to ride or use them in combat.

- You are right, we should look into that right now. Have you heard any news from Namexa yet? He went to the basement compartment yesterday and hasn't returned yet.

- Yes, I got his message from his friends. They are having some real problems down there. The snowstorm has slow down seriously the construction down there. We can not know exactly when it's finished. And even worse, a snow troll is camping in a guard spot in the north. I don't know for sure if the goblin will attack that way, but we should really be prepared.

Glendon's face turned red. He got angry.

- Those nasty creatures have crossed the line. I'll crush that Troll as soon as I finish restoring these mineral sites.

ts

posted 06-19-08 06:00 AM EDT (US)     10 / 139  
Ankrock Anblock, day 2:

“How long has it been? A thousand, two thousand years?” The words echo through the newly rebuild throne room as Ankrock thinks out lout while watching out of the window. “Look at them work. Trying to salvage as much of the city as possible. The city of Stone’s throw will soon be rebuild, but not for the infidel frostlings that haunt these lands. This will be my new citadel in these cursed lands.”

“ They work so hard, these mindless grunts. Any creature with some brains would try to make the most of their short life’s and yet here these greenskins are. Working for me, trying to please me, to appease me. I myself have lost track of time. Too long have I walked this cursed world, too long have I been among the undead. And see where it has brought me. Look at this godforsaken lands, covered in Ice, giving as little life as the scourge of Hyjal itself. I do not even feel the cold as I do not experience death. Immunity, it is so overrated. What I would do to experience the cold. To, just for once, feel the snow whirling down on my skin. To have the need for warm clothes only to protect myself, only to survive. To experience fear for death. To give meaning to my life, for Life has no purpose without the prospect of death.”

“How could it have come to this.” Ankrock shivers as he thinks back to the betrayal that changed everything. About how he was once known by the name Pizarro. About his sister. About Jubei’thos." Abruptly Ankrock turns away from the window.

“I can not dwell on this. I must not allow myself to contemplate on this. Have I forgotten everything I learned in this new “Life”. Have I forgotten what they did for me. No, there is too much at stake, too much that needs to be done to keep mumbling on about such little issues. The task at hand, the task that was given to me is of great importance. Finding the golden ring is crucial to fulfil our wrath. It is my purpose! Or at least so I was told.” The meeting between him and Jubei’thos still amazed him. Never before had he been summoned by Jubei’thos himself. They had spoken quietly and behind locked doors. Hiding in the shadows. Yes it was a strange situation to see Jubei’thos so stressed, so cautious. He had not given it much thought at the time but the more he thought about it the more it troubled Ankrock. “What plans does my master conceal. What schemes is he plotting? With only a small band of warriors and vague orders Jubei’thos had sent him to these new lands. A small band of Orcs nonetheless. Mindless pawns, useful only because of their warmongering nature. Used and consumed by the cult for more than fifteen ages. Never before had the cult travelled here. And not without reason I might add, for I have not seen anything of use yet. Still everything had gone as Jubei’thos predicted.”

Ankrock turns around as he hears the door to his chambers opening. A shivering Orc enters the room. “Hmf, it seems not all are immune to the cold” Ankrock said in himself. “My Lord, I have news to report!” “Well speak up then” Ankrock replied “I do not have all day!” “My lord, I have news from the main horde. That mine yousa whas talkin ‘bout, they attacked and conquered it – like yousa said! It was great success, we kill five of those little white buggers.” “Good! Good news indeed” Ankrock replied. “Sent word for them. They must bring all corpses back to the citadel. It seems there will be meat on tonight’s menu!”

[This message has been edited by Rheno (edited 06-19-2008 @ 06:02 AM).]

posted 06-19-08 06:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 139  
Restart because NaecO accidentally opened my turn.
posted 06-20-08 00:38 AM EDT (US)     12 / 139  
Kyr the Outcast

It is our third day in these strange lands. We see no sign of the orcs that the local frostlings have reported. We must be wary. I desire no more of war, but I doubt that I shall find peace with them, when at last we meet. The butchery desribed by the refugees goes beyond the necessities of war. It awakens the dreadful memories of that night that Kovar attacked.

The people here have chosen me as their saviour, thinking I shall liberate them from these invaders. They greatly overestimate both my skills of magic and of war. But I shall do what I can. Out of their ranks stepped a hero by the strange name of Thundar. He is a mighty enchanter himself, but insisted upon a ransom of gold to join our cause. No small wonder, perhaps, that the people here suffer in war, if their heroes are of such a mercenary outlook. But we are short of swords, and he will compensate for the loss of the wolfrider yesterday. Perhaps his knowledge of the land will aid us.

My company and I march on into the mountains, searching for more gold. On the side of a mountain we find building materials, abandoned for who knows what cause. We use them to fortify our meager settlement. We spot the lair of wild beasts to the south, and shall see what treasure may be found there tomorrow. For tonight, we shall camp, and I shall seek to drown myself in sleep, to escape the phantoms of my wife and child that plague my waking mind. But as I lay upon my cot, I take heart in the singing of my men outside. Already Thundar leads my guards in a bawdy song of these lands. There is laughter, and the salmonberry wine flows freely. It is good to hear mirth after so many months despair aboard those ships.

Perhaps tomorrow shall bring a dawning of new hope?

posted 06-21-08 04:28 AM EDT (US)     13 / 139  
Glim Glendon, day 3

Frawd Naretev was bitten by a bunch of bugs today and he is severely wounded. Reenigne and Glendon had to help him got out of the mine before the bugs ate him.

All the while Glendon hears of some rumors around the mountains about a ring. Namexa sent him a message about the construction site and told him to look for a hard hat.

ts

posted 06-21-08 05:42 AM EDT (US)     14 / 139  
Ankrock Anblock, day 2:

Blast these cursed lands. May Ragnodac rain terror on these lands himself. Just as I thought things were going as plan new events twist everything we hoped for. The salvaging of Stone’s throw left us with less then we hoped for. With only a rebuild barrack the operation was not a huge success. But this was not the worst thing. During the night Frozen dragons, a kind I had not witnessed before, showed up in these lands. Two of these creatures attacked during the night. It showed me that these lands have a strange aura about them. For the first time in two thousand years I was hurt during battle. These dragons were able to wound me in a way no creature before them ever did. I begin to fear as I realise my immortality is undone by these lands. The encounters took much of my strength and I fear this will delay the reanimation rituals I planned with several days. With my army disoriented, surprised and without my leadership many of the Orcs were killed. Among them were several of the ranged division. They were much needed and there loss is a great setback. We hope not to encounter much more of those creatures for another encounter we might not survive.
posted 06-22-08 01:48 AM EDT (US)     15 / 139  
ts, log later

posted 06-22-08 08:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 139  
Glim Glendon, day 4

- Gin Sh'iar sent many of his lizard minions around my mountains. said Glendon, what should we do about him?

- We are having too much problems with the goblins already. said Reenigne. Everyone is looking at our gold mines and wants a part of it. That's not acceptable!

- I agree. We work very hard on those mines. They are ours! said Frawd firmly

- Good! Namexa, you lead some bowmen with you. Reenigne, you come with me. said Glendon

- What's about me? cried Frawd

- You need to rest Frawd! I need you tomorrow and the days after that. Your wounds are still open, you'll be vulnerable against the enemy. Besides, you need to stay and continue the training of our riders.

So Glendon went on with Reenigne against the frog rider. The fight was really one-sided, one more hit and it's all over. All of sudden, the frog rider's trident hit right into Reenigne's shoulder and made him drop his pistol. On the second strike, the trident was seen through Reenigne's throat. In a full rage, Glendon threw his axe and slid the frog into two pieces. The rider was at his mercy, but none can stop the Dwarf Fury.

All the way, Glendon called on a spell and gave the goblin wyvern a stoning shower. Poor thing did not have a chance to fly off the mine's shelter.

ts

posted 06-22-08 10:47 PM EDT (US)     17 / 139  
Kyr the Outcast, Day 4

Once more my loyal soldiers follow me into death. The monster’s lair hid no monsters, but a pair of barbaric northmen. These folk we have known before, for they inhabit the borders of the frostling lands. They are sometimes honourable, sometimes murderous, but always valiant and strong warriors. They killed two of my followers before they were overwhelmed. The one, a snowscraper from my exiled people. The second, a magical, horned steed I had summoned. Though the unicorn was the more valuable, it is the brave frostling warrior I mourn most, for though I may use my magic to summon another of the beasts, I can never summon back to life my troops.

Within the cave we found some small hoard of gold. But of far greater worth were the weapons we pried from the dead humans’ hands. One, an axe marked in strange runes, I took for myself. The other, a spear that seemed to spark with lightning, I bestowed upon my new general Thundar. How fitting I thought, that one so named for the roar of a storm, should now strike with the force of the sky-fire.

As we continued on into the mountains, one of my raiders warned me that the narrow valley we entered was ripe for an ambush. And lo, at the valley’s end, there stood a cave. Perhaps someone or something makes it home there? Whether it be friend or foe, time will tell, but my heart forebodes that blood shall follow our meeting.

My scouts returned with report of two mines in the area, one guarded by creatures we have not yet encountered. They appear as goblins but are far smaller. The other mine was inhabited by folk deemed friendly, and when I dispatched my second unicorn to investigate, I found them to be some of the local frostlings. Alas, they eat more than the mine’s worth, so my coffers are worse than before. No wonder they were so eager to join my tribe. But I have taken on the task of defending these leaderless people, and their swords will aid me in my encounter with the cave’s inhabitants.

We made two camps for the night, for the unicorn was too exhausted to return to the main body of the army. The newfound recruits will be her escort as the main body of our forces encamps at what we deem a safe distance from the brooding cave. The troops are restless as they bed down, fearing an attack in the night. I post a watch and reassure them that whoever lurks in the mountains will hesitate to attack so many. But my heart is troubled by the thought of our smaller camp to the north.

We pray for a night without blood.

posted 06-26-08 04:27 PM EDT (US)     18 / 139  
***IMPORTANT***

there is a small movie file used in this map (from AoW2), which you can download from
HERE if you do not have AoW2. This file should be placed into the AoW:SM "movies" folder. It is not essential to do this, but you may experience a 15 second black screen where you can do nothing. The game is NOT locking up, and nothing bad is happening to your computer. The game is just trying to locate or play a file that isn't there. Everything is back to normal after 15 seconds or so.

This will be a more common problem for the 6p version.
I've played 5 games until at least turn 40. (on the 4p version - 1 game until turn 35 on the 6p version)

• in 4 of the games, at least 1 wizard (different each time) was eliminated by day 15 or so, almost always due to independants.

• in each game, wizards would take turns dominating the map, but none could hold domination for long

• there will be alot of turns where you do very little; if the turns keep moving, its no problem. Just keep in mind that it is an empire building game.

• there is alot of suspense in the turns. things really pick up around day 30. Most likely there will be some major conflicts around this time, and then another period of rebuilding armies.

• SCOUT! You are playing blind, and you have no wizard tower. While you should be safe on your first couple turns, all bets are off after day 3. Keep your wizard well protected.

• While I playtest very thouroughly, what I can not predict is what effects diplomacy will have. The map was designed keeping in mind the request 'players should roleplay the races like the races/alignment really would'. There are no 'artificial rules' I'm imposing though, so enjoy whatever chaos ensues!

• There is alot of randomness to increase replayability and unpredictability. Depending on how the 'dice land', you may find yourself very powerful early on, or under considerable duress.

• If you play smart, you can overcome your limited and quickly dwindling resources WITHOUT having to disband troops. In fact, if you do disband troops, you may find that you get 'stuck' without enough troops to help you claim resources. Or worse, you may find your enemies are really close, and you won't be able to fend them off.

• Its a SMALL map. That means its very dangerous. Play cautious, or gamble big - that's up to you, BUT, if you do gamble, be prepared to go down in flames. On the other hand, a well-timed gamble when another wizard has their guard down could pay off HUGE.

• I'm confident enough in the map's balance that I can recommend it for wizard ladder games. If all players agree right away about making it a ladder game, go ahead and register them.

• lastly, there is a GAME bug I found which pops up semi-often on this map due to unique scripting. It may cause too many units to occupy the same hex, and when it does, you will not be able to move anyone. IT IS NOT A GAME BREAKER, and is an easy fix. Simply save your game, exit out, and reload where you left off. The units will still occupy the same same hex, but you will be able to move them now. It does not cause a restart.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-26-08 04:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 139  
BTW, great pace, and some great turn logs!

Keep it up!

(you are putting the medium and expert players to shame!)

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-27-08 06:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 139  
I think I need a resent James. By the way, you all may get a restart from me as I again opened the game and it was Lord Duck's turn (I saw James' log and was not sure if I'd received the turn from him and hadn't played it). Lord Duck, can you put a password on your game? That would prevent these restart incidents. I have a lot of games going on and am on vacation so I may forget from time to time if I played the turn or not.

posted 06-27-08 07:29 PM EDT (US)     21 / 139  
if a turn gets stalled, it is best to post in the thread AND send an email out, since most people do not check the threads until alot of time has passed and they get curious.

I'll send JamesEde an email for you naecO.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-27-08 08:29 PM EDT (US)     22 / 139  
I think the right turn is with Lord duck. Looking at the turn logs it seems likely. Since he reported to be on vacation in the abcent threath it might take some time.
posted 06-27-08 11:45 PM EDT (US)     23 / 139  
resent just in case.

posted 06-28-08 01:00 AM EDT (US)     24 / 139  
this is the one game that I'm not positive about the turn order.

if someone could tell me which colors are in what order (in the bottom right), I can figure it out and make sure the turn oder shown in the 1st post is correct.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-28-08 02:15 AM EDT (US)     25 / 139  
i can tell you for sure that i send the turn to naeco, and i recieve it from rheno, so lord duck must be in between them.

thanks greenmonster, by the way, for facilitating my idea of a role-playing pbem. i'm having a wonderful time writing the tragedy of kyr, the outcast. i'm sure once the other games get going there will be some great reads.

james.

posted 06-28-08 07:35 PM EDT (US)     26 / 139  
I think the right turn is with Lord duck. Looking at the turn logs it seems likely. Since he reported to be on vacation in the abcent threath it might take some time.
I think Rheno's right. It was because of James log posted after mine. I did not know it was a late log. We'll have to wait for Lord Duck, it seems.

posted 06-29-08 04:46 AM EDT (US)     27 / 139  
I'm back from vacation and played my turn.
posted 06-29-08 07:07 AM EDT (US)     28 / 139  
Ankrock Anblock, Day 4:

It has been four days now since we arrived in these icelands I have come to known as Malacandra. The world is filled with creatures I have not encountered before and the threat of ambushes and traps never stops. Never ends. Our forces are decimated by both enemy forces and the cold. Still we venture forth and still we capture more recourses. A new mine was added to our small realm and the recourse will now allow us to build some new structures. Still, this world is cursed for it allows life to creatures that should not live and denies it to those that deserve it. This world is not like my old kingdom Stratholme nor is it like the scourge of Hyjal. It is a unique world.

Unique. How many times was he called that way. Long ago, more years then even elves walk these worlds, he was called unique. Sole are to the throne of Stratholme. Oldest son of the house of D’artagnan. With only an older sister he was the chosen one to succeed his father. That was until he was betrayed. His uncle, Count Ádan Del Carano, had always been considered an enemy to the throne. The rat was known for his many schemes and plots, searching for power, whatever the costs. Pizarro, or Ancrock as he was now called, found out too late about the schemes of his Uncle. In no less than a week he saw his father die of food poisoning, his Uncle marrying his sister, and the crown passed on to his Uncle. He was betrayed indeed. With the betrayal came panic for he was now considered the enemy of the crown. prosecuted, hunted down he had no other choice then to become an outcast. A parasite, a nobody....
posted 06-30-08 01:57 AM EDT (US)     29 / 139  
TS, log later when i have time to think up some creative stuff.

posted 07-01-08 02:14 AM EDT (US)     30 / 139  
Kyr the Outcast, Day 5

Today I sent my scouts to the mouth of the cave. Peering in they saw that it is no natural hole, and surely the lair of someone or something. But though we continued our march towards the cave’s entrance, by sundown we can barely make camp in its shadow. This is not good, for if it be enemies within this den, they shall have but short march to attack us. But I cannot tie down all my forces upon the suspicion of a threat any longer, and I send a smaller party back to our settlement to defend against any orcs that may surprise us. Our refuge remains hidden for now, but we cannot count on the defence of secrecy too long.

And stranger news is yet to tell, for today I encountered a creature I have never seen before in all my years of wandering. It was green, with great eyes, and a tongue that lashed out at my scouts as they approached. As it moved through a small pool of water, we saw it swim with great ease, and disappear altogether under the water, only to reappear, crawling onto land a short distance away. Its skin was smooth, without even the thinnest layer of fur or hair. I do not know how it survives in such a harsh climate, for it seems a creature of more southern lands. But from the blue aura surrounding it, I gather it to be a beast summoned by magic.

And lo, as I myself drew near the beast, an image formed in my mind of what must be its master. Haughty, imperious he seems, with wild flowing white hair, and a crown upon his head. I cannot guess what his role in these lands can be. He has not the look of a frostling, nor of an orc. I sense a wizard of some skill, and one that is used to the command of others.

So now I know there to be at least two other powers in these lands besides our people. In addition to those foul, bloody-handed orcs, there is this mage and whatever followers he may have. I used my energies to channel a message along the chain of magic that keeps the strange creature under its master’s control. Now this wizard knows of our presence. I hope that our two peoples shall know the blessed light of peace. With the orcs to contend with, we cannot afford a war with another.

And truth be told, I would even accept peace with the orcs, for all their slaughter of our race. It goes against the honour of my people, but I am so desperate for peace I would even do this shameful act. Once I took this honour very seriously, but the course of my life has taught me better. Honour, I have come to learn, is a vain foolishness, a sacrifice of the practical to one’s ego and the esteem of others. It is too close to pride. Once, in another life, I suffered from that disease, but Kovar cured it of me. I have no pride, but I shall not seek peace with these murderers. Neither the local frostlings that now follow me, nor my own people would accept it, and there would still be war, only under a less-experienced chief. And neither, for that matter, would the orcs accept such a treaty, unless it were merely to move a dagger closer to our backs.

No, it shall be war with the green-skins. But with them alone, I pray. I await the answer of this new wizard with a mixture of fear and hope. Has it been so long since I last looked upon a stranger, and beheld not a potential foe but a potential friend?

posted 07-01-08 09:23 PM EDT (US)     31 / 139  
ts log later

Glendon,

- Glendon! The giant penguins! Run before they catch us!!!

- Calm down Namexa! They are huge but don't you see a big treasure next to them? If we can get pass them, we can have that for ourselves. And we must hurry, otherwise, the dracos will come and get ahead of us.

- What are you doing with the Penguins there Glendon? - A strange voice from behind Glendon.

- Uncle Milg'd! - Shouted Glendon - When did you come back? How was your journey?

Milg'd, Glim Glendon's adventurous uncle, slowly rode his boar off the giant balloon. Another boar rider followed him. Glendon and his men were amazed at the size of the balloon.

- What is this thing Uncle Milg'd? asked Glendon.

- Haha.. This is the war balloon my child. I was on adventure with the nomads in the desert very far away from this cold icy land. They build balloons to travel in the desert. This balloon was specially made by a very good nomad friend of mine. He's a master of war. This balloon can also hurl fire from above to attack and burn the enemies. I survived many battles thanks to this great gift of the nomads.

- Great! Now that you're home. You'll help us to get rid of the goblins. I heard news that they are planning to attack our mines.

- Hmm... Don't worry. My friend and I will help you take care of them. Tomorrow, you and I will visit the mines. My friend will stay here and train our men with Frawd Naretev. He's a great warrior. But now, let's put those things aside, we must celebrate this reunion and get drunk tonight! Hahahah....

ts

[This message has been edited by naecO (edited 07-03-2008 @ 00:01 AM).]

posted 07-02-08 10:38 AM EDT (US)     32 / 139  
Ankrock Anblock, day 5:

What a strange night it had been. It was no more than 3 hours into the night when a Great spirit had appeared to him in a dream. Never before had he seen or experienced anything like that. The spirit looked friendly though it had a mysterious aura about. And although he spoke with little words its message was clear. Ancrock was to go into the caves and secure a power node unlike any other he had seen before. This, so the spirit told him, would prove for a token of goodwill towards the spirit. The node seemed to originate from the element of Air. He was familiar with Death, with Fire with Water even, but with Air, No. When he had woken up, screaming, sweat dribbling down his head, he knew it was more than a dream. It was a vision, a message of a spirit he had not encountered before.

A expedition was immediately mounted and without any details Ancrock took a small party of orcs underground. What little disbelief still haunted Ancrock was taken away there for the power node from his vision was there to see for everybody. It appeared abandoned, but Ancrock felt in his gut that such a thing would be too easy. A scout was sent forward to explore the area. His expectations proved true, the node was far from abounded for several Ice maidens guarded it. Ancrock began to realise that this node was more than just a gathering of power. It was a temple. A place of worship. Ancrock smiled for he knew that securing this temple would certainly please whatever spirit spoke to him. With a loud battle cry he sent his band forward. He knew their losses would be great and that he could only hope to receive a reward. The lives of even Orcs were valuable in these cursed lands but still Ancrock thought it worth the risk. A small battle took place. Several lives were lost though Ancrock himself was able to take control of a magic being casted by the snow witches.

With no resistance left Ancrock slowly stepped towards the Alter. Just as sudden as the spirit had appeared to him in the dream it now again appeared to him. His soldiers began to panic for they too had never seen anything like this before. Ancrock stood his ground though and this seemed to calm down others as well. The spirit began to speak with words none heard before but all could understand. It’s message was clear. “Approval.... Future..... Reward.......”

A strong wind began to blow and water spurted form the grounds. Harder and harder the winds began to blow until it resulted in a tornado of water and wind. Then just as miraculous as the tornado had started it disappeared. What was left shocked everybody, for it was a creature not seen before. Half woman, half fish, consisting of only water. The spirit began to speak again. “Take...... Reward...... Go...... “. Ancrock smiled like he had not done in a thousand years as he realised he found a powerful ally in these wretched lands.
posted 07-03-08 02:51 AM EDT (US)     33 / 139  
Kyr the Outcast, Day 6

It is dawn, but we have been awake for hours. The attack came in the night. As the fires burned low, and most of the troops slept, the sentries spotted two dark shapes rush out of the cave. The camp was roused, and we waited for them, weapons drawn, and confident that our numbers would hold against them. As they drew nearer, we could see them to be in the shape of men, but of greater size, and they seemed to wear horned helmets. But when they came into the firelight, we beheld their true nature. They were some sort of un-natural beastmen. The body of a giant, but the horned head of a bull! They were fierce, and felled one of the local frostlings, but in the end, they both lay dead. I had the troops drag the carcasses away and burn them. It is against our custom to use precious fuelwood in this way, but these are obviously some abomination of the nature spirit. They must be cleansed in fire.

No sooner had the battle ended than a messenger arrived. It seems that ere it departed the mountains, the strange swimming creature we beheld yesterday, the one enslaved to the will of this other wizard, gave sign of assent to the peace proposal. My heart rejoices at the acceptance of my offer. It is even more satisfying than the victory over the bull-creatures, to know that there shall be that much less bloodshed. And yet, I do not know what to make of the silence of this Gin Sh'iar. He offers no information on himself or his motives in this land. I sense that this peace may be merely a temporary convenience. We shall see…

With the threat of the cave seemingly gone, we ventured inside with somewhat less caution. Indeed, we found it empty, save for a trio of crow’s cages along a wall. Each held a prisoner which pledged their service in return for freedom. Inside the first cage we found a humanoid, of a rather pale complexion, somewhat tall, and with pointed ears. He claimed to be an elven ranger from the woods of the south. I have heard of such a people spoken of by the occasional trader that visits the north, but this is the first one I have met.

The second cage contained another of the foul beasts that had so recently attacked us. My men, wary and vengeful after the attack, called to leave it there or to kill it. But the creature, though it, or I should say he, could speak neither frostling nor the common tongue, did by all his gestures and demeanor indicate his peacefulness. The elf informed us that this beastman was a dissident amongst his fellows, and had been locked up for this. As an outcast myself, I felt pity upon him, and ordered him released as well.

The last cage held a woman of great beauty, but with a fire spirit. No sooner had she been freed than she had snatched up a whip that lay close by her cage and sparked it at some of the men who had gotten too close. I noted how neither she, nor the elf looked particularly happy about their new company, and I suspect that either will take the first chance to abandon us. Therefore, speaking in the tribal tongue known only to my exiled people, I ordered my troops to keep close watch, and to form up tight ranks around them. At least as tight as that she-devil and her whip will permit. Oddly, it is the bull creature that seems most contented.

Elsewhere in the cave we found much treasure. Their was a chest of gold, some shards of the magic ice-crystals, and a bow. The last was claimed by the elf, but I insist upon its taking it myself. If he is to run from us, there is no point losing any weapons with him. There was also an abundance of production materials, which shall come in handy as soon as our outpost has grown sufficient to make use of them.

And as we make our camp tonight in the cave, I survey the motley crew I command. Good and evil I sense, but neither do I side with. Each has its own peril, seeks only its own end. I must remain free of such ideology if I am to choose that course best for the survival of my people.

posted 07-05-08 10:15 AM EDT (US)     34 / 139  
Ankrock Anblock, day 6:

‘What a day it has been’. Ancrock smiled as he looked into the campfire that laid in front of his tent. ‘It seemed smiling was a new habit he found rather pleasant, although he had not done so for a long time. He felt proud as he laid his eyes on the Orcs sitting around it. Who would have thought that he could ever feel such a thing as respect for this kind of race. Truth be told, he had traveled with Orcs before, he had fought battles both against and alongside them before, but this time it was different. These new and strange lands, so full of peril, betrayal and the unknown made him change his mind about the “greenskins”. Throughout his campaign they proved themselves loyal servants. Willing to lay down their lives for honor, for each another, and even for him. He looked around the circle and noticed how much they had changed. They were hardened, more experienced. Many wore special pieces of clothing and armor, taken from victims in earlier battles. They were now better prepared, better equipped as ever before. Yes, he was proud of them!’

Ancrock looked up as he heard hoof steps closing in on the encampment. The soldiers became restless as the question rose whether these sounds were made by friend of foe. The answer came soon enough as a heavily armored horse carrying an orc entered the encampment. A messenger!

‘Kar Arnos young rider’. Ancrock spoke to him. ‘What business brings you here’. The rider answered as he bowed down before Ancrock. ‘I have news my Lord. News from the troops you had sent out to capture a mine’. ‘Ah yes’ Ancrock spoke.’ Well what is it. Good news I assume’. ‘Yes my lord, great news indeed. The attack you had ordered went very well. We were able to wipe out the defenders entirely. But this is not all. As you will remember you sent a small dragon with the warband, mainly as cannon fodder but it appears the lizard had great potential. After the battle all warriors claimed their bodies as trophies, and so this the hatchling. With just two bites he devoured the snow witches he had killed in battle. There shamanic powers seemed still intact though and while he was eating them the little lizard grew and changed into a cold dragon, like the ones that attacked us earlier. Only difference is that this one allied us. A powerful ally if I may be so frank.’ ‘Well look at that’. Ancrock spoke.’ It seems luck is on our side. This is great news indeed young rider. Now I need you to do another thing for me. I need you to ride to the surface. To Stone’s throw. There will be a new warband leader there, waiting for you. Our grandmaster Jubei’thos spoke to me in a dream and told me he had sent a great warrior to our aid. His name is King David for he is the high Lord of the Goblin empire. A kin you are surely familiar with. Ride now, welcome him and give him these orders. Ner Arzul, young rider! May death protect you!’
posted 07-08-08 01:24 AM EDT (US)     35 / 139  
apologies for restart. away from home and playing on wife's laptop.

will log later when i have time to write something.

posted 07-11-08 01:11 AM EDT (US)     36 / 139  
Kyr the Outcast, Day 7

I have seen the face of death…

It is no mere shaman or warlord who leads the orcs in these lands. It is another wizard. He (I assume it to be male, but have no way to know) grins with the evil face of a skull. Were we to face orcs alone, perhaps we could prevail, for their intelligence is not renowned. But a foul magician of the death magics is another matter. Undoubtedly he channels their raw bloodlust into an efficient war machine, disciplining them from committing the mistakes that they might make on their own. I fear for my people’s future. Now we hear whispered on an icy wind the rumour that this evil being commands an ice-dragon. These creatures are the pinnacle of the northern food chain. Our frost bolts shall not avail us against it. I begin to wonder if I should seek peace with the orcs, assuming they would have it, despite my people’s wishes. This is a war I do not think we can win.

The green creature of the other wizard approaches our new found lands. We have dispatched a polite diplomatic message asking this wizard to respect our territory, but also urging an alliance against the orcs. Perhaps two may prevail where one would fall. We hear that he commands some creatures like unto dragons, but in the shape of men. We have not heard of such folk as this before, and are troubled.

It makes me wonder what lies in these lands if two such powerful wizards have come here. We arrived on these lands after months at sea. We had no choice but to seek survival here, as our food has run out. But these others, the orc leader and the wizard of the dragon-folk, why have they sought out such an inhospitable rock? This is as fine a land as we could hope for, much alike to our former lands. We frostlings love our icy domain, but the life is fierce here in the north. We can survive, but there are no riches. This has been our chief protection, for if there is one blessing of living off the frozen tundra, it is that there are no wars to be fought over the last place anyone desires to be. But these two have come, bringing with them armies of conquest. Perhaps there are mines, or some source of magic they seek? Whatever it is, they are welcome to it. Provided we can have space to live and hunt, we shall surrender whatever treasure they seek and speed them on their way.

But today was not a day wholly given to fear and wondering. There was also celebration, for my people have founded a second settlement. In an area of the mountains we had at first deemed too narrow to make camp, we found room for a new outpost. Now with two settlements, I hope that my people may have peace to rebuild our lives. Our gold is increased too, by the taking of a mine, and the sure capture of another tomorrow. I have used what magic the spirit of air has granted me to summon a great hawk. She shall be my eyes, and scour this land for resources and threats. I hope for the former, but I prepare for the latter.

Gods! An ice-dragon! How shall we survive?

[This message has been edited by JamesEde (edited 07-11-2008 @ 01:14 AM).]

posted 07-12-08 06:11 AM EDT (US)     37 / 139  
Restart because of re-installing aow.

TS
posted 08-11-08 03:08 PM EDT (US)     38 / 139  
sub needed.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 08-23-08 05:38 AM EDT (US)     39 / 139  
Still looking for a sub? I'd like to hop in if you don't mind a bit shorter logs; my english is not very fluent and I have quite short consentration span.
But then again, it seems you don't have too many options here

angstinenkoira[at]yahoo[dot]com
posted 08-25-08 04:21 AM EDT (US)     40 / 139  
Well, welcome Torso

Can you e-mail LordDuck for the turn?

His email is: lordduckk at gmail dot com

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » The Golden Ring : Beta game 3
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames