Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Looking 4 People to test new WL point options in FFA games
posted 06-02-04 00:24 AM EDT (US)   
as some of you may know, a few PBEM'ers have been working hard to come up with different ways to score WL FFA games. What we need now are people to play under a few of these different options to give us feedback, so we can see what needs to be changed/tweaked/eliminated.

the list of new options is here:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=34&tn=753&st=recent&f=34,753,0,60#36

I am anxious to see what people think about all of these options, but particularly the 'survivor' option, since I think its a fun and different way to play a game.

may I also recommend that some games be played on my map 'the charm' ( found here ), which is meant for 2, 3, or 6 players, and plays fairly quickly.
the testing may also be good on random maps.

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)
Replies:
posted 06-02-04 10:42 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
Count me in. I think some of the proposals should be a blast. Since this is a test I would suggest that we use a random map because the majority of pbem games are on them and also because I have played The Charm twice now and you created it. It could be unfair to others.

They call me MISTER Tibbs!

Sidney Poitier (In the Heat of the Night)1970

posted 06-02-04 11:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
I'm actually not planning on playing in any of these games, so that won't be a problem with 'the charm'... besides, it can be examined by anyone in the editor.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-02-04 03:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
I've not yet played a WL game for points, but this is as good an excuse as I'll probably get, and The Charm sounds great to me. Personally, I prefer games with more players, so a 6 player game would be my first choice. However, if there isn't enough interest, perhaps a 3 player game would be fun.
posted 06-03-04 09:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
I forgot that The Charm has been released. It's a good map so I'm changing my vote to it from random. I'm also going to add a little link from people trying to sign-up for random games to see if we can get some interest. If not, we can always invite people. Glad to see you onboard KD.

BTW- Thanks for the email GM. I'll have to do some reading this weekend.

posted 06-03-04 10:49 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
I can participate in Charm game, but it depends on what scoring system we will be testing exactly.
posted 06-03-04 04:07 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
Count me in. They all sound interesting and since I can't get much lower than I am, let's see what happens.

crvjr

posted 06-03-04 05:32 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
I will play...
posted 06-03-04 06:10 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
That looks like 5. Just need one more for the 6 player version. I don't have much of a mind for points systems, so someone else can figure that out. GM could set the game up for us and assign Wizards, once we get a sixth, if that's ok with everyone.
posted 06-03-04 06:33 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
If your still looking for players, please count me in too

Ausaitis@yahoo.com

posted 06-03-04 06:37 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
There's 6!

So Greenmonster, what type of scoring system are you proposing? I vote for a negative score if you kill anyone who's name starts with 'T'

[This message has been edited by Tibbs (edited 06-03-2004 @ 06:38 PM).]

posted 06-03-04 08:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
I want a handicap, since I've never played for points before
posted 06-03-04 10:25 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
I am still looking for more people too, or people to join multiple games.

these are the scoring systems I'd like to test; which one you guys want for this first game of 'the charm' is up to you, although I recommend
#4 with placement + value by rank
#7 with option A (values based on rank)
or #8
because of the good mix of experience levels we'll have for this first game.
If you guys dont come to a decision, then I will pick from these 3 next week.

3 - "bloody Murder" - with or without placement points. All wizards are worth the same value, as agreed upon by the players ahead of time (from 1-7 points, point total NOT TO EXCEED 21!). Players gain points for every wizard they eliminate, and lose points for being eliminated.

4 - "Bounty Hunter" - with or without placement points. Players are each worth different point values, based upon their current ladder point total Vs. the average ladder point total of all players involved. The difference is then compared to the 'scoring for team games' chart to find each players 'worth'. Otherwise scoring works just as 'bloody murder'.
( OR wizards' value could be determined by their current ranking; A=5, B=4, C=3, D & 0 gamers = 2, E & F = 1)

5 - "kills for placement" - no 'kill bonus' per say (only placement points), but placement is determined by the # of kills a player accumulates. In the event of a tie, placement is determined by when you were killed (as is normal).

6 - "winner take all" - all wizards put their points in a pool (total pool can not exceed 20 points), and as the name implies, the last wizard left standing claims all points for themselves. This game type can not be used in conjunction with placement points.

7 - 'the Ante' - used in combination with placement points, players all agree to a common point value that all wizards are worth, from 1-5 points.
OPTIONS within this game type;
A : values based on rank;A=5, B=4, C=3, D & 0 gamers = 2, E & F = 1
B : 'additional kill value' ; +1 pt if player killed is 2 levels higher, -1 pt if player killed is 2 values lower.

8 - "Hiranu's Pool" - players ante points based on their rank; rookies= 2, Gd R/0gamers = 3, Low Inter=4, Int = 5, High Inter = 6, Expert = 7. Players may also agree to each also contribute 1 additional point into this pool. Players can only lose their ante + the bet, while winners split the pool as follows;
3 player - 70%, 30%
4 player - 60, 40
5 player - 60, 20 , 20
6 player - 60, 30, 10
7 player - 50, 30, 10 , 10
8 player - 50, 30, 10, 10

all fractions rounded off to benefit the first place player.

A2 - "survivor option" - loosly based on the TV show, the players not finishing 1st or 2nd (or 3rd in an 8 player FFA) are placed on the 'jury'. At the end of the game, each memebr of the jury casts a vote for whom they feel is most deserving of the victory. the player receiving the most votes is declared the winner, and receives all points in the 'pool'. In case of a tie, points are split evenly.
this option can be used on any game type that uses a 'pool', even if that game also uses placement points (placement points are NOT effected by the vote). There must be at least 5 players in the game to use this option

GMMod for AoW2

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 06-03-2004 @ 11:10 PM).]

posted 06-04-04 00:04 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
WL rules testing, game 1 has started - thread can be found here:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=25,2877,0,60

remember, I am still looking to start more games under different rules..
keep signing up here!

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-04-04 11:33 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24  

Quote:

I recommend
#4 with placement + value by rank
#7 with option A (values based on rank)
or #8

What's the difference between #4 and #7?

[This message has been edited by Evil Roc (edited 06-04-2004 @ 11:55 AM).]

posted 06-04-04 04:27 PM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
hmm... good point ER. 'bounty hunter' with that optional 'wizard value option' is exactly the same as 'the ante' with that same option. If we do 'bounty hunter', it will be the original concept: all players WL total are compared to the team avg chart to determin a players worth for that game.

this concept may need a new chart to be created (I'll look into that more closely this week), so it may be better to avoid this game type for now, although it may be the type that needs the most testing...

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-04-04 06:50 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
If you are going to setup another game (with a random map), I would like to play. Thanks,

U.

posted 06-04-04 08:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
I'll set up as many games as I get people...

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-04-04 09:14 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
I'll play a few more games. Pls just keep signing me up until noted otherwise
Thx
posted 06-05-04 04:40 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
Yes, I can participate in a random map FFA game as well...
posted 06-09-04 11:42 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
Sign me up for a game or two. I've not tried 'The Charm' so I'm willing to give it a go.
posted 06-09-04 11:44 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
there's 4...

I'm gonna try to hold out for a couple more though.

posted 06-12-04 11:43 AM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
Hi, I would also like to participate in a ffa game.
posted 06-20-04 11:13 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
ok, so we have 5 for a random map game.

we will be using 'hiranu's pool' for the scoring system, although the 5 of you will need to vote to see if a wizard kill bonus will be used or not, and how much the value for each wizard will be (0, 1 or 2 points).

the thread for this game can be found here:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=25,2898,0,all

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 06-20-2004 @ 11:19 PM).]

posted 02-05-05 07:32 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24  
Hi!
I would like to participate in one game. Any kind is Ok.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Looking 4 People to test new WL point options in FFA games
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames