Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Kirky Picardo!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 04-28-05 08:52 AM EDT (US)   
Hi there,

I'm no longer leaving for a trip, so I thought I'd change this part of the thread. The history bored me

This thread is for purposes of commenting on, discussing, admiring (especially this last) Kirky's Brave New World Mod.

[This message has been edited by The_Stranger (edited 03-05-2006 @ 06:45 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-01-05 05:06 PM EDT (US)     41 / 145  
Hi Lucian,

If you load any scenario into the editor and re-save it you will be able to play it with this mod and all the new wizards, units etc. will be there. You just have to make sure BNW v1.0 is selected under custom resources. Not having the original cd won't make any difference.

If you have msn messenger and want to add me to your contacts, we can make sure you are setup right and figure out why there is a problem.

Thanks.

Kirky

posted 09-02-05 02:20 PM EDT (US)     42 / 145  
Hello Kirky,

I'm wondering where you got the Age of Empires II units? Did you make 'em yourself? If so, could you instruct me on how to do it? If not, could you tell me who made them?

I'm would very much like a couple more of these units, such as the Spanish Friar, Korean Cart, Viking Dragon Ship, and the generic Knight.

Thanks,

Bj

posted 09-02-05 05:51 PM EDT (US)     43 / 145  
Howdy Stranger,

The Age of Empire Units I have in my mod were actually made from Civ III units which someone from that community made from Age of Empire units (big wheels keep on turnin!).

Anyway, I'd be happy to provide info on converting civ units if needed. They are not difficult to do really, as those units are in a format similar to what we use in shadow magic.

As far as converting Age of Empires II units, this is something I haven't looked at, sorry. I have the empire games but never played them much and am not familiar with the units you listed. I can always look into it, but there's a good chance that the units you want can be gotten from civ units. Looking in one of my unit graphic folders I see here I have a unit called generic knight. Maybe it's the unit you mention. It's a bit on the small side for shadow magic as are most civ units, and while you can resize them larger there is a limit to doing so before you get signicant quality loss. I am not sure how big Age of Empire II units are.

Anyway, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Thanks.

Kirky

posted 09-03-05 05:03 PM EDT (US)     44 / 145  
Hi Kirky,

and thank you for the prompt reply. I'd be very interested in seeing your Civilization units. I remember that many of the AoE units were sufficiently sized for AoW, but perhaps during the Civ conversion process, they were made smaller....

Anyhow, if some of them look good, I would very much appreciate a tutorial on how to convert 'em.

Regards,

bj

posted 09-05-05 06:28 PM EDT (US)     45 / 145  
Okay, here is a tutorial on how to convert Civ III units into Shadow Magic ILBs.

The first thing we need is a unit to convert. For this demonstration we will be using a Treeman created by aaglo.

You can get this unit here.

I don't know what prgs other people have, but for this tutorial we will be using these programs which are free:

FLICster

Easy Graphic Converter

You will also need an art program of some kind. I will be using Paint Shop Pro in this example.

Okay, now run FLICster. If you don't have Civ III installed you will get a message about some features not being available. Don't worry as you don't need them. In the menu up top select File then Open and browse to wherever you unzipped the treeman to and select TreemanDefault.flc. A new window opens with 5 tabs, select the last one Export. In the new list that appears for Export Type select Individual Cel PCXs (many files), click OK then Export. Repeat this for the Run, Attack and Death flcs.

You should now have a folder full of all the images this unit uses. We now need to convert them to BMPs. Run Easy Graphic Converter and on the Settings Tab for Output Format select Window Bitmap 8bits per Pixel. Also specify an Output Directory under File Name & Path and click OK. Now select Add then Add Files and browse to where you have all the PCX Files and add all of them except for those that are for facing East and West as we don't use them in shadow magic and go ahead and convert the files to bmps.

Okay, we now will use Paint Shop Pro to sort the palettes and perhaps a few other things. If you don't have Paint Shop Pro you will need to accomplish these next steps with some other program.

Run Paint Shop Pro and load one of the bmp files. Select Image, Palette then Save Palette. We now want to load this palette into all the images so that they are all the same, otherwise the game will use the background of some of the images as part of the graphic. To do this we need to record a script. Select the script recording icon then select Image, Palette, Load Palette , select Nearest Color Matching for Apply Palette using then save the script.

In Paint Shop Pro new scripts will need to be placed in Scripts Trusted folder to be able to run them.

Now close the bmp and select File, Batch then Process. Make sure the script you just saved is selected and browse to the bmps, select them and click Start.

Okay, we are nearly done, but I need to mention the red shadow and outline that most Civ III units have. There are a few things you can do for this. You could just use the UGPM tools to color this dark and use the shadows, or if you want to get rid of them you can edit the palette. To do this you would load one of the bmps back into Paint Shop Pro then select Image, Palette then Edit. I would recommend changing the background color so u can clearly see all the shadows and outline that is red. Click somewhere in the background and you will see one of the indexes highlighted in the palette. Double click it and change its color but make sure you don't change it to a color used in the graphic. Now click all the shadow and outline parts in the palette and make them the same as the background color then save the palette. Start another script recording and load the palette but this time for Apply Palette using select Maintain indexes. Save the script and close the bmp and run the batch process. You will need to then repeat the first palette script we did again so all the bmps use the same index for the background.

All the images are now ready to be loaded into the ILEditor but you need to arrange them. Some people use ILS scripts but I can't see how to write one with these files named as they are. So I just do batch renames with Paint Shop Pro to put them in the order that is needed. This only takes a couple of minutes once you have done it a few times.

Okay, I think that about covers it. There are quite a lot of units at the Civ III forums that will make good units in Shadow Magic and they are not that difficult to convert once you have done a few.

Have Fun.

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 09-05-2005 @ 08:35 PM).]

posted 09-06-05 12:18 PM EDT (US)     46 / 145  
Almost everyone of the civ3 units looks to small for Shadow Magic.
posted 09-06-05 05:51 PM EDT (US)     47 / 145  
I have already stated that most civ units are too small for shadow magic, but there are quite a few that people have made that are of sufficient size to make good units. I used a dozen or more in my own mod and they are very nice.

Kirky

posted 09-09-05 05:28 PM EDT (US)     48 / 145  
Well, hello there! I'm a Shadow Magic "newbie", and have perused some of yours mods documentation-informative post like this but as far as i can recall i haven't found any IA improvements or modifications, just units, spell, maps, addons or changes. (this is not a critique at all)

Is this mod an exception? Is it possible to "hack" into the creatures scripts to change its tactical combat routines? And how about Global IA?

PS: In my modest opinion, Kirky's and others modding tutorials should be pinned to save time and efforts for future projects. It's nice to see so kindly manners and respect between modders, thought.

PS2: MY english grammar and syntax abilities are poor, please, forgive me.

posted 09-10-05 02:43 PM EDT (US)     49 / 145  
Hi SireLancelot,

As far as actually improving the AI goes, this is something which far exceeds my capabilities unfortunately.

I can see your point on having tips and tutorials being made sticky. However, this would require someone to go over the forum section and gather up all the information of this type so that it can all be placed in one thread. Maybe someone will do such a thing one day, but until then people will have to search for what they need to know or just ask I guess.

Thanks.

Kirky

posted 09-14-05 06:27 PM EDT (US)     50 / 145  
Kirky,

thank you very much indeed for your helpful (and well written) tutorial! I have a feeling that more people than myself will benefit from it. As for myself, I am currently in Mexico, and thus will not have an opportunity to try some of the units for a while, but its certainly one of the things that I am looking forward to on my return home.

Thank you very much again,

bj

posted 09-25-05 12:03 PM EDT (US)     51 / 145  
It's been a while since i last visited AOW2H. Indeed, i only come here to check for new mods...especially your mod, Kirky.
I am really looking foward to your new work. Will it be compatible with the unofficial patch (i know it's not out, but do you plan to make it compatible?) Also can you give us any info about it concerning things like development status or release date? The wait is difficult, you know...

Also, i've been wondering about some Lizardmen Mod that adds a 16th race...Would that system be stable enough for you to consider implementing it in your mod?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

posted 09-26-05 07:15 PM EDT (US)     52 / 145  
Hi RMX,

To begin with I would very much like to add a 16th race. I think other modders would like to as well. I know that Halfinat did add a 16th race in his Lizardman mod but I believe there are some difficulties and limitations in doing this which noone has solved as of yet. I haven't looked into this myself and only know what others have written about it. If it can be done properly this is something I would really like to do.

That being said I guess I should give you some info on things I have been doing so you don't think I have just been idle and not working on anything lol.

To begin with I have made a lot of LOTR ILBs for a project which someone suggested some time back. These were done from a game which uses 3d models and it takes quite a bit of work to do. Here's a peek at some of them:

The thing about this this though, is that the person who initiated the project has never contacted me and seems to have disappeared. So unless something changes it seems that if the project is to be completed I will have to do it all myself, which of course will take time away from working on my own mod.

I can always use some of these units in my mod and probably will use some, however I would like to present the majority of them as a graphic pack for mod and map-makers who would like to add authentic LOTR graphics to their works.

For my own mod I have many new ILBS I have made and am currently making from other sources. Here's a look at some that I have done so far:

I recently discovered a trick with hero resources which will let me to sort of have sub-classes of the different hero types. So I am doubling the number of heroes in my mod. I always felt that in the normal game heroes were very bland and had little identity. Back when I used to play the normal game (and it's been a very long time lol) I remember people would ask what hero someone had. The reply would often be something like, "I think I got an archer guy," or maybe "I got one of those crazy lookin foos!" Well when playing my mod the response was quite different with people answering with the hero's name and often with some excitement as well. I hope to further this experience with the new heroes, many of whom will also have unique body graphics.

Here's a peek of some of the new hero potraits I have set up so far:

Keep in mind these may be changed by the time the update is ready.

This last week I have been working on artifacts. I made an ilb the other day of 40 shields (with matching glows ilb) and am nearly ready to make an ilb of 100+ weapons, so there will be many new artifacts in the update.

I have not forgotten yours and cowboys95 idea of racial ships or sea units and will look to implement them when I am ready. There are also many other small tweaks and changes I am making, that while not particularly glamorous, are important just the same! I will also probably look to add new structures as well, but I first want to see exactly what the UPatch does in this area.

Anyway, hopefully this lets you have some idea of what I am doing. I know it takes a long time (wish that it didn't lol), but when I have something ready I will release it.

Thanks for your interest!

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 09-26-2005 @ 07:18 PM).]

posted 09-26-05 07:58 PM EDT (US)     53 / 145  

Quote:

I recently discovered a trick with hero resources which will let me to sort of have sub-classes of the different hero types. So I am doubling the number of heroes in my mod.

Hmm, I think I know what you mean.

If you do the following:

1) Create a hero 'resource'
2) Create a hero with class the same as the resource
3) Create another hero resource with the same class
4) Create another hero with the same class

I assume that both heroes will have the same class, but they will be based on different resources (so they can have different bodies and base stats/abilities). Am I right?

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 09-26-05 08:26 PM EDT (US)     54 / 145  
Hi Pawels,

Yep, that's it, lol. The only thing you need to do is make sure you don't then make any changes to a hero who uses the old resource, because then it will use the new.

Kirky

posted 09-27-05 08:54 AM EDT (US)     55 / 145  
The first hero is Simon Mooncalf, I've read the books
posted 09-27-05 12:31 PM EDT (US)     56 / 145  
Kirky Picardo, seeing that you have tons of new ilb (thanks for your hard work!), I am again posting here to ask for them! Pls let me know where to download them once you are done with them.

Looks like I am looking forward to v3.0 of ClimberMOD, with your new .ilbs/units and the upcoming of new patch 1.4

=====

Looks like the 27 empty slots for lair monsters aren't that enuf.

Does anyone knows does the RMG use NEW lair structure if I add such lair in mod? I guess some of you more active in the v1.4 might have already experiment with that and know the answer.

Climber's Generic MOD v2.x for AOWSM can be downloaded here

Devs please read & implement Concised Wishes Nice to have Wishes for AOWSM Playing Race(es) vs Wizard Ehancing existing units in AOWSM

posted 09-27-05 12:38 PM EDT (US)     57 / 145  
If a new structure is added, the RMG uses it, but it doesn't use the old version.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 09-28-05 05:54 PM EDT (US)     58 / 145  

Quote:

The first hero is Simon Mooncalf, I've read the books

I read the books too.

To Climber,

I expect the LOTR graphic pack to have somewhere around 60 unit ILBs as well as some other stuff. When it is ready I will release it and you or anyone else who downloads it will be able to use the graphics from it however they like.

Kirky

posted 09-29-05 01:27 PM EDT (US)     59 / 145  
Dammit! I shouldn't have asked! Now the wait will be even harder, lol!

*RMX goes to have some painkillers*

posted 10-04-05 02:04 PM EDT (US)     60 / 145  
Kirky!

I was planning on making a LotR multiplayer mod after my next Dwiggs mod...after I get home, of course. What good news! (goes back to the jungle)

posted 10-14-05 07:07 PM EDT (US)     61 / 145  
I checked out the mod. I must say. That..Anubis ILB is..jaw dropper. Where the heck was that image found?!
Because Holy freakin hell. That guy looks too badass.

This world is the will to power
and nothing besides
and you yourselves are also this will to power
and nothing besides
posted 10-16-05 12:11 PM EDT (US)     62 / 145  
To The_Stranger:

That's cool that you may make a LOTR multiplayer mod. The LOTR Graphic Pack (or whatever it will be lol) should provide a lot of nice things for such a project.

To Archimonde:

Well it's funny you would inquire about that particular ILB as it is not used in the mod, lol. I had intended to use that wizard portrait with a new body graphic but changed my mind. The body graphic was just too small and didn't look good enough. I may use this portrait with a new body ILB when I release the update/expansion to my mod though.

As to where I got the graphic...not really sure. It's possible I got it at: http://www.epilogue.net/index.html. I did find quite a few portraits and graphics there, but I can't say for sure if this is where I got the Anubis picture.

Kirky

posted 10-16-05 02:42 PM EDT (US)     63 / 145  
This is very exciting, KP-- one question (and a tiny one, at that): do you plan on adding a Galadriel ILB to the MOD? If you are, I may stop fiddling around w/ the recoloring program. Turning Artica's hair blonde is reaaaaally hard for me.
posted 10-16-05 08:36 PM EDT (US)     64 / 145  
Hi Awegust,

Well, since you have mentioned it, I will make sure there is a suitable ILB for Galadriel in this project. I hope to have graphics for as many of the main characters in Tolkien's universe as possible and she certainly qualifies I would think.

And yes, it is hard trying to make Artica's hair blonde with the ugpm tools, hehe.

Thanks.

Kirky

posted 10-17-05 09:04 PM EDT (US)     65 / 145  
Oh excellent. I'm very excited about this, since you seem to have great taste in ILBs.
posted 11-04-05 12:26 PM EDT (US)     66 / 145  
Hi Kirky,

Im (almost!) on my way home, and am looking forward to some happy modding days ahead. So, I thought I would ask our resident modding expert (I think you have earned that title ) how his LoTR graphics are coming along? I am currently sketching ideas for the LoTR mod, which would be more hero and less structure based than Dwiggs, with a bit less emphasis on rushing level 4s and enchantments than regular rules. Among this pondering, I was wondering if you had any graphics for Eowyn or Arwyn? I thought perhaps the Elvish Iron maiden could be recoloured for one of them (I could do this), but I dont currently have another female mounted graphic. Anyhow, Im really excited about your graphics work, and want to thank you for sharing it!

Regards,

BJ

posted 11-04-05 07:44 PM EDT (US)     67 / 145  
Hi Stranger,

Well first of all thanks for the comments, lol. As to your questions, the LOTR graphics are coming along well and there are many ilbs completed, although some still need additional work and there are still more to make. I don't yet have an ilb specifically for Arwen, but there are two ilbs for Eowyn (one mounted and the other on foot). You can see her on foot in the picture I posted here if you go back a page. The mounted ilb of her is ready except for two things which I need to think about:

1. The ilb does not currently have a specific animation for being hit. There is an animation in the model I can use for this that I didn't originally see that I can go back and convert. Another alternative is to just use part of a current animation for this.

2. All mounted models have attacks which are directed to the side and not straight ahead. So I have to decide if I want to move the animations around from what they currently are. Maybe when you are back I can send you some of these to look at and you can give me your opinion on this.

Anyway, that's basically the news on LOTR stuff for now.

Thanks.

Kirky

posted 11-21-05 06:01 AM EDT (US)     68 / 145  
I love the extremely large amount of unit models in your mod, but I'm afraid I prefer dwiggmod for gameplay, do you allow the stranger to use any of your ILBs? Your ILBs are amazing, and I would love for dwiggs to add in a hundred or so new units.
posted 11-21-05 08:45 AM EDT (US)     69 / 145  
All the units in the last Dwigg more were made (often badly) by me. However, Kirky is very generous with his work and I hope to include some of his excellent ilbs in the next Dwigg mod!

How is your own mod progressing, Kirky?

Regards,

BJ

posted 11-22-05 02:30 PM EDT (US)     70 / 145  
By the way kirky, those are some amazing ILBs for shields! I've never seen such good looking SM items!
posted 11-22-05 07:41 PM EDT (US)     71 / 145  
Hi Mitch and Stranger,

Thanks for the comments on the ILBs. Keep in mind though, that the majority of ILBs in the BNW mod are ones which other people (primarily Pawels and Dhuval) made available, so compliments to them.

I have been spending a lot of time the last few months making new ILBs. The first glimpse of these will be seen in the LOTR graphic pack which is not too far from being ready. This will contain some 60+ unit ILBs that while intended primarily for LOTR maps or mods, can also be used in other mods should anyone wish to do so. I still have a couple more I want to make and some still need additional work (it never ends, sigh) but it won't be long now until this is completed.

It sounds like the UPatch may be made ready soon. I hope so because I wanna see it, lol!

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 11-22-2005 @ 10:35 PM).]

posted 11-26-05 11:03 PM EDT (US)     72 / 145  
Kirky,

I've got a question:

You figured out the rewards, guard, system for both structures and units, and posted your findings somewhere. I thought they were in this thread but can't find them. As I am begining to redo all the quest rewards, infidels, as well as structure guards and units for Dwiggmod, I would be very greatful to be directed toward the place where you share what you (or anyone else know.

Cheers,

BJ

posted 11-27-05 02:22 AM EDT (US)     73 / 145  
Stranger!

First of all let me say that you are not fooling me in the least! I believe you could easily find the information you are seeking and this is nothing more than another dastardly ploy on your part to try to include me in this community! Outrageous I say!

Anyway, I guess I'll play along.

Well, I had to search for this as well, but you can find the discussion on Quest Rewards in the Unofficial Patch 1.4 Magic Idea Bin. DarkMystery had also discovered the problem with Unit Quest Rewards, he just didn't discover any solution, haha.

The post on Recruitment Structures was actually in reply to your question in the Borrowing Thread. It's worth repeating that on random maps only the buyable units in the average indexes appear for Druid Circles and Critter Dens. I believe the only way to fix this is to change what the random generator places on maps...which to my knowledge noone knows how to do.

Thanks.

Kirky

posted 11-27-05 12:03 PM EDT (US)     74 / 145  
Kirky,

lol, I am going to have to refine my methods! Or at the least find another alias

Anyhow, thanks again. I finally checked out that link to the Civ site, and they have many wonderful units. I'm going to try my hand at converting a few, but don't want to replicate any work you are already doing. How far is your ilb pack/expansion pack from a release date? (The more interesting possibilities I discover, the further away mine gets!).

Regards,

bj

posted 11-27-05 05:48 PM EDT (US)     75 / 145  
Hi Stranger,

First of all, don't worry too much about replicating work I have done or am doing. It's inevitable that there will be some crossover between mods even if you try your hardest not to do so. I would just do whatever you think will be good and you are welcome to use any work I have made available if you wish.

The LOTR graphic pack is very close to being completed really. And again while it is mostly for LOTR map and mod makers, stuff from it can also be used in other mods too. Take this graphic of Haldir for example which I found in a middle earth mod:

How could you not want to use him as an elf hero in dwigs, lol? Well maybe you may not want to, but if you do then you are more then welcome to do so.

I expect to have this finished within 2-3 weeks at which point I will seek to upload it here and hopefully it will be made available. I take nothing for granted however and can only do my part in the equation.

My expansion to my BNW mod is still quite a ways from being ready I'm afraid. Your statement about the more possiblities that are discovered is all too true. However, I don't plan on doing this forever, so the plan is to wrap this up sometime in early 2006. At which point it may be time to hang up my modding hat and head on back to the heroes scene (hopefully h5 doesn't stink) where people can love/hate or feel indifferent towards me based on my skills as a player not a modder, haha.

Kirky

posted 11-27-05 09:10 PM EDT (US)     76 / 145  
That ILB looks excellent kirky, great work!

EDIT: Between your ILBs and the UPatch Recolours/AoW1 ports, There's an extremely large amount of ILBs out there! Which is good for those of us that have no skill with graphic editing, haha.

[This message has been edited by MitchK1989 (edited 11-27-2005 @ 09:11 PM).]

posted 12-06-05 12:57 PM EDT (US)     77 / 145  
Kirky Picardo, just drop in to tell you that I am eager to wait for your excellent .ilbs.

Not sure if anyone is still interested in Climbermod while v1.4 is on the rage nowadays.

Anyway v3 of climber mod will base on v1.4 and your new gfx. So, give us a shout when you have the gfx ready!

Climber's Generic MOD v2.x for AOWSM can be downloaded here

Devs please read & implement Concised Wishes Nice to have Wishes for AOWSM Playing Race(es) vs Wizard Ehancing existing units in AOWSM

posted 12-07-05 08:27 PM EDT (US)     78 / 145  
Hi Climber,

First of all I am 100% certain there are peeps out there who are very big fans of the Climber Mod and look forward to you updating it. In general stuff made by individuals such as you and I will never generate a lot of feedback here, unless perhaps you actively seek it out by promoting it and trying to get other members involved. Promotion can actually be more important than the product itself. Let's face it, a great salesman can take a product you don't want or need and convince you it is something you absolutely can't do without!

Anyway, I hope to have the LotR resource set ready soon and there will be some nice things in it for modders like yourself looking for new ILBs. I will give a "shout" when that is ready...but not too loud a shout...I don't wanna wake the neighbors.

Thanks.

Kirky

posted 12-09-05 11:06 PM EDT (US)     79 / 145  
I think it should be added that the more ownership a modder gives to other members of the community, the more interest they will take in it.

I'm also looking forward to seeing your ilb work, Kirky, which you know I admire. On a related note, I don't have paint shop pro, and am not sure about the equivalent of pallete creating in Adobe photo shop. Maybe I should just get Paint Shop Pro, eh? Or, has anyone tried using Photo Shop instead?

Anyhow, I'm having fun gettin the Civ Units set up. There are some nice ones. I wish that Goblin Wolf Drawn Chariot was a little bigger!

I know this was a bit of a fluffy post without a lot of grit, but I felt like writing something....

Regards,

Bj

posted 12-10-05 06:37 PM EDT (US)     80 / 145  
Hi Stranger,

I think in my reply to Climber I was trying to be clever and probably just ended up being stupid instead, lol. I agree with what you said and I was more or less trying to say the same, but just didn't say it as well.

I haven't use Adobe Photoshop, so I can't be of much help there. I would think it should have some function which will sort the palettes though.

I believe I know the Goblin Chariot unit you are refering to. You will find quite a few units like this at the civ site...ones that are absolutely great but just a bit too small, although this depends on personal tastes I guess.

Thanks.

Kirky

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Kirky Picardo!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames