You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Mod Making
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New tile idea ? Post it here.
posted 07-14-06 00:23 AM EDT (US)   
Thread for new tiles.

By "tiles" i designate map objects shown in resource editor on "Map/Tiles" and "Hidden Tiles" tabs (and their TCMap counterparts), along with .ILS property (ImageSequenceList object with rows of layered images) and along with FX file(s) such object uses (if any). Be it new City or BorderHexagon or anything else.

P.S.:
Note that inability to use multiple Terrain Types for different hexagons of one tile (i.e. to place both Water and Grass or Lave and Wasteland on one tile) is artificial limitation of AoWSMEd only (yet another hardcoded validator).
In fact, multi-TerrainType tiles are as possible as multi-MoveType ones, such tile can be created and works correctly (well, as far as i have tested this). Though of limited use.

And even I make no pretence Of having more than common sence - R.W.Wood
The secret half a country keeps, the whisper in the lane... - R.Kipling
[UPatch 1.4 Team] * STLpack
Replies:
posted 07-14-06 00:55 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5  

Quoted from Gladistir:

May be we should make some Hidden Tiles for objects like butterflies, for example. <...> May be it is possible to create water mountains?

I agree.
As regards Mountains - some tile on "Water" tab ? Yes. But if "Mountain" MoveType is assigned - "Water/Mountain" is totally inaccessible - even Flying unit cannot be placed there !
Besides, such things would be useful for making scripted (as well as caused by Spell or Ability) terrain change to non-bald hexagon.

Quoted from Arbiter Mundi:

In 1.4 there should have been lavafalls

Quoted from swolte:

This should be doable! I guess if the particles overlaying the v1.4 waterfall would be turned black and the background image turned red, we might get a nice effect. Turbobeholder can answer this better then I can.

Why not ? As usual, smooth colored background + something animated alpha-blended before it and glow.
Perhaps even my Waterfall FX without fog but with little "dark" and "hot" spots, slowed down and placed over smooth lava-colored variant of the same background would look good.

And is there any how possible to make bridges over shadow void.It certainly would help making shdow worlds <...> I would want some black water too, it would look great in some places.

But it's impossible to place any unit on "ShadowVoid" hexagon (even with .MoveType=Road), even Flying. Though it's possible to have non-hidden hexagon which looks like (or almost like) Void, but is ShadowWater or ShadowLand (and non-hidden Bridge for ShadowLand)... Of course, TC Hexagons will be of true terrain.

• Some additional Hexagons can be created and placed on normal non-hidden tabs (just like Earth and Rock AoWIsometricHexagons on "Map/Caverns" tab).
    E.g. Animated hexagons for Lava ("breathing" glow, moving), or Grass, etc.
  • "Crater" or "Crack" object - "Lava / Decoration|Hill|Rubble" (at least Floating to be placed) hexagon with lava bubbles.

• posted 07-14-06 03:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  

Quoted from Me:

And is there any how possible to make bridges over shadow void.It certainly would help making shdow worlds <...> I would want some black water too, it would look great in some places.

Quoted from Turbo Beholder:

But it's impossible to place any unit on "ShadowVoid" hexagon (even with .MoveType=Road), even Flying. Though it's possible to have non-hidden hexagon which looks like (or almost like) Void, but is ShadowWater or ShadowLand (and non-hidden Bridge for ShadowLand)... Of course, TC Hexagons will be of true terrain.

Hmm...well that idea came into my mind when I placed one item into shadow void so I thought could it be somehow possible make that kind of bridges then.But anyhow now my computer is having some serious problems...well it had.It overheated and hard disk faced its last problems.no wonder when there's three computers plus that one all day all night running on their limits.But it's still unusuall as my brother said.
    I'm right now bit bored because I haven't have possibility to make my map...And I wonder when 1.5 might come out?

"Knowledge will give you power, but character respect." Bruce Lee
    "As you think, so shall you become." Bruce Lee

[This message has been edited by Arbiter Mundi (edited 07-14-2006 @ 03:39 PM).]

posted 07-14-06 10:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  

Hmm...well that idea came into my mind when I placed one item into shadow void so I thought could it be somehow possible make that kind of bridges then.

Well, i too pasted some stacks on ShadowVoid, and just did it again, it's not a bug. But my point is: while we can circumvent placement check in editor with such trick, it will be still used in game when some party tries to move (or remain) there. If in editor we cannot place normally given unit on given terrain, it cannot move there in game. Because the same method seems to be used for checking in the editor and for finding movement cost in game. Exclusions are paste and Haste (see bugreport). It's why Walking unit with 1-2 Mov cannot be placed on Grass terrain in Editor.
    So - we can make bridge tile for such a terrain, but it will be mere decoration impossible to move on/through it.
    And those stacks were destroyed before turn #1. I just checked it - they all vanished before Wizard was spawned, i did not saw them in game at all.

posted 07-16-06 07:16 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
    1)Create a Tree of Skill as in Diablo 2

Place a tree on the map and add some fx to it so that it is distinct from the surroundings. Create an event of 'Upgrade Hero' when 'Enter area' on the tree location. Add some dialog to spice up the event.

2) Create Shrines.

Place a small area of water (Brush no: 2 i.e. the medium brush in the editor) on the terrain (not underground and shadow world). Now, switch to the small brush and select pillars from the caverns part of terrain ( the thing that whole of the underground is made of) and place it in the middle of the water. The terrain will elevate. Now place grass in place of the pillar. Switch on to the rocks in Grass tab of the terrain and place them over the grass. This will give it a realistic feel. Add some monks (normally 4 nos) surrounding the elevation from all the sides. Add torches to give some extra effect.
    -> To make it more interesting, u may add 'Play Fx' or 'Storm' effects when player is nearby to the shrine.
    -> To make it additionally interesting, u may add 'Spawn Unit' effect when player is nearby to the shrine.

-= Love heals all =-
    The One and only NymphMaster!
    Aow-SM Maps: The Titan Gate (4.9/5)
    Aow-TWT Maps:Glass (4.6/5)
    Got any questions/suggestions regarding my maps? Post them HERE
    posted 07-16-06 01:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  

Quoted from sausud:

...Create an event...
    ...Add some monks (normally 4 nos) surrounding the elevation...

You missed my point.
    Things you proposed are ideas for manual map design, but not for "Resource.AHR" tile resources (there's no regular scripts for tiles or extra placing setup ).
    Though of course, ready complex tile for #2 ("Shrine") can be pre-made as some usual class, including proper elevations and Water terrain placement. Even with Defenders, if used class has this property.
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » New tile idea ? Post it here.
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames