You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Mod Making
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Multi-Terrain tiles are possible !
posted 02-05-06 00:04 AM EDT (US)   
In AoWSMEd's tile editor whenever new value is selected in "Terrain type" listbox all non-Transparent hexagons turned to this Terrain, therefore each tile can contain only Transparent and one Terrain hexagons. Right ?
Just now i edited (with STL) TerrainType/MoveType hexagons map of one tile resource and thus created tile with Water/Obstacle and Grass/Hill parts. Then (in AoWSMEd) this tile resource was placed on map and tile on map is interpreted properly.
Therefore it was merely editor's limitation.
Integrated "Waterfalls", "Chasms", "Canyons", "Snow-Capped Peaks", and so on are possible. Long ago i wanted to make tiles with 7 hexagons - line of Water between (SomeTerrain)/Mountain (canyon with river) - now it's possible too.

I tried to do the same with structure tile (both central and peripheral hexagons) instead of Used, but while all modified resource's hexagons retains new TerrainType values, "improper" TerrainType is not enforced on map.

And even I make no pretence Of having more than common sence - R.W.Wood
The secret half a country keeps, the whisper in the lane... - R.Kipling
[UPatch 1.4 Team] * STLpack
Replies:
posted 02-05-06 02:03 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
The Beholder strikes again!

Have you tested these tiles with units crossing over them? I mean, can a unit with only swimming and forestry cross a tile with water and forest properties?

posted 02-05-06 08:16 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5  

Quoted from The_Stranger:

Have you tested these tiles with units crossing over them?

As far as i understood this, in AoWSMEd units are placed on map hex (the same object as in game) with standard function. And if unit can be placed on hex - it can be moved here because of the identity of functions.
If AoWSMEd shows in status bar that some hex is Grass/Mountain - we have to assume it can set Dwarf Runemaster here, if Wasteland/Obstacle - it cannot, but still can place some floater/flier.
Just tested - yes, Grass/Hill allows any unit with Walking or higher, while Water/Obstacle requires at least Floating, just like any other hexagon with those Terrain/Move types.

Quoted from The_Stranger:

I mean, can a unit with only swimming and forestry cross a tile with water and forest properties?

What do you mean ?
If "Water/Dense Vegetation" - you can test this on 1-hex tile, and even without any tweaking. Swimming unit can be set here, Walking+Forestry cannot, Concealment works - nothing special.

If "Water and Grass/Dense Vegetation" - Water and Grass are different values of one variable therefore both can't be set on the same hexagon.
And if you'll set different values for different hexagons - Water and Grass Terraintypes will work just like None and Obstacle Movetypes for different hexagons of one tile.
I.e. Terrain/Movetype resolving for multi-Terrain tiles is normal in all respects.

Movement/Placement seems to be checked against hexagon, not against each object on hexagon separately - that is why Terrain/Movetype preview in status bar works fine.

posted 02-06-06 08:15 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Have you checked what happens if you start TC in such a hex?

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 02-06-06 10:27 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
I still don't see what is new here, though?

Do you have an example of what is possible that wasn't done before, that be great! I assume it is something like we did with the new Dragoncaves or Helms deep?
If so, the decision to keep those limited was practical because then every waterfall would look the same. The current waterfal (with many thanks to you ) looks excellent and also different in many maps you see.

Be careful with combining waterhexes if you mean it in ONE hex (structure/water), because if you have a swimmer on there and the TC is land, the game crashes. Also, sometimes the TC-maps are distorted (which actually looks kinda cool).

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 02-06-2006 @ 10:33 AM).]

posted 02-06-06 08:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  

Quoted from swolte:

I still don't see what is new here, though?
something like we did with the new Dragoncaves or Helms deep?

I'm not sure what "Dragoncave" is, but if it's green Dragon's Lair between "Oasis" and truncated pyramid - its hexagons have different Movement Types (Structure,Mountain) which can be assigned in AoWSMEd without limitations, and i wrote about Terrain Type, which AoWSMEd changes for all non-Transparent hexagons of tile at once.

But it's Structure and, as i already mentioned, for tiles that are not Terrain-specific (ones that can have only Transparent or Used Terrain Type), like Structure resources, this trick don't works (and in most cases is not needed anyway).

Quoted from swolte:

then every waterfall would look the same

No. I mean, it could be set of Mountain resources with "mountain river" canyon adopted to specific terrains - just like normal Mountains, but with some water. This is not much more restrictive than having 3x Mountains per terrain type + 1x Waterfall. Because, after all, peripheral Mountain hex can overlap Mountain hex of another tile, e.g. usual AoW Mountains.
Again, i did not meant to replace Waterfall (StrongCurrent) with some complex tiles (besides, it would require 1 Waterfall per Terrain), but only possibility to make more tile resources to use with this or another StrongCurrent (or without).

Quoted from swolte:

The current waterfal

...is StrongCurrent resource (well, with good FX over good background ). And as such it is inherently not terrain-specific too (both TStrongCurrent and TStructure are descendants of TChangeableTerrainEx).

BTW, if there weren't such a hurry , there would be at least 3 Waterfalls - for 3 directions (D,DL,DR).

Quoted from swolte:

Do you have an example of what is possible that wasn't done before, that be great!

Well, this waterfall looks good when placed manually on map, but it have to be placed on Water hexagon - i.e. not on some Mountain tile, but in front of Mountain. Therefore it's not very easy to make waterfall flowing from water hex (instead of some stony Mountain hex) and look nice at the same time. This limits multitude of "different waterfalls" even more.
After all, in order to receive damage some unit (able to move trough Water, but not Mountain) have to swim through this hex - and it would not go there if waterfall will be just dead end !
To make good canyon with river (mountainous, but not invisible) is complicated enough process, especially due to hexagon elevations (even with "elevated water")... and this would be much easier (not to say possible for RMG) with ready tiles.
And since it will have Water hex, designer could add Water- Rocks and StrongCurrent: this, or original, or another special - "Rapids" (almost the same as "Waterfall", but with another background and with changed trajectory of the same moving water ripple in FX, without high source point). That's more fit for hex that can be crossed in both directions (maybe, true waterfall have to be Water/Obstacle ?).

Quoted from swolte:

Be careful with combining waterhexes if you mean it in ONE hex (structure/water)

Thanks, this relieves me from 3..8 tries with crashes.
But as i mentioned above, subject is not applicable to Structures (and other tile resources that can have only Used and Transparent TerrainTypes) anyway.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 02-06-2006 @ 10:28 PM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Multi-Terrain tiles are possible !
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames