You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Mod Making
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Brave New World v3.2 Available for Download!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 10 ··· 20  Next Page »
posted 04-01-08 01:05 PM EDT (US)   

Update: nvc_for_the_soul has created an excellent PDF file listing the stats and abilities of all the buildable units for each of the races. It is available in the downloads section or you can just click here .

Hopefully this is something which will be appreciated not only by those who are already familiar with the mod, but new people who may be thinking of trying it as well.

Thanks a lot, mate!

NOTE: A new Update for Brave New World (BNW 3.2) is now available. It requires previous installation of UPatch 1.4, BNW 2.0 and BNW 3.0 Beta.

You can download the BNW 3.2 update by clicking on the link below:

Click here to download BNW 3.2 Update

The rest of this post was written in regards to the Beta version, but may still be of some interest to newer people who have not yet tried the mod.

Kirky

Greetings,

I have decided to release a beta version of BNW 3.0. Everything is not finished yet, but after such a long time working on it, I felt that enough is finished that I should make it available for those who may be interested.

DOWNLOADING THE MOD

BNW v3.0 Beta is a very large file (696mb zipped) and requires that both BNW 2.0 and UPatch 1.4 are already installed on your computer. When you install this new version of BNW it will overwrite some older ILBs with improved, newer versions. So it is important that BNW 2.0 be installed prior to installing this version. If you install BNW 2.0 after installing BNW 3.0 beta, you will overwrite some new versions of ILBs with old ones, which is something we don't want.

So if you have fullfilled these requirements, you can download Brave New World v3.0 Beta by selecting the link below:

Click here to download BNW 3.0 Beta

A GREAT NEW MAP!

After you have installed the update, I would very much recommend you head on over to the scenario section of the downloads page and get:

Roger has really knocked himself out on this map and it is stunning. It features beautiful landscapes, fantastic events and stuff you have never seen before! The map is a true masterpiece and I would really like to thank Roger for all his effort in making it. I hope some of you who download the map will also consider taking the time to post a comment there thanking Roger for the wonderful job he has done.

Three Cheers for Roger the Rampant!!!

INSTALLING THE MOD

To install BNW 3.0 simply unzip and run. Then run AoWSM Setup and make the sure the custom resources box is checked, then select BNW 3.0 from the list.

BNW changes the names of some things in game such as races, spells etc., and puts in a BNW title screen. This will be done automatically the first time you install the mod. When you want the normal stuff back in, open your main Shadow Magic folder and run "Disable BNW 3 Extras". When you want the BNW stuff in run "Enable BNW 3 Extras". You can do this as often as needed. One puts in the BNW stuff, the other puts back the normal stuff.

That's it! You are now ready to play, and in this version you no longer have to load and save maps to play them, and you should even be able to play the campaign if you wish.

Special Thanks to PawelS for his Resource.ahr validating program which makes it so you don't have to load and save maps.

Here are some of the features included in this new version:

NEW RACES

The mod now features five new races: Arabians, Asgardians, Immortals, Morlocks and Zulians.

Special thanks to Iskatu Mesk for helping out by writing excellent descriptions for most of the new races.

RE-MADE RACES

As well as new races, the old races that are still used have been re-made and are really like new races as well. How this is done differs somewhat from race to race. For example, Dwarves have new units, but they also still retain most of their default units from the original game (with modified skills and stats). Other races such as Dark Elves have been completely redone.

So you will have to check this out for yourself, but I don't think it's inaccurate for me to say that nearly all the races are like new.

UPGRADED UNITS

Level one and two units for each race can now be upgraded to advanced units at gold medal. This a feature I really love, and feel adds tremendously to gameplay.

I expect this is something that will used to some degree in nearly all mods, and I would like to thank TurboBeholder who discovered how to do this. It was a great discovery and addition to the game. Also thanks to DimaGromyko who I believe first discovered how to mask the changeling ability. I need to also thank my friend, Merkraad, who wrote an excellent guide on this subject which he sent me long ago and has since been posted in the forums and in the modding wiki.

NEW HEROES

It wouldn't be BNW if it didn't feature many new heroes. And this version more than doubles the number of heroes from 2.0!

BNW heroes are advanced and don't all necessarily adhere to a rigid class-based system. I often find that in my opinion at least, such rigid systems often relegate heroes of certain classes to more or less subclasses. And the heroes of these classes can often feel like they are of a much lower level than other classes. So in BNW I try to make all heroes good, and while there are differences in the various hero classes based on a number of factors, there is not a large overall gap between the quality of the heroes classes. All are good.

I think I should mention that while there are five classes of heroes in shadow magic, many BNW heroes don't fall into one particular class, but are more like mixed classes and you have Ranger/Clerics, Fighter/Thieves, Warrior/Priests and so on...

Also, in this version of BNW heroes start with slightly less stats than previous versions. So you will have to be extra careful with them, especially in the early stages of a game. If you do take care and use them wisely, then they will become the mighty champions and true heroes they are meant to be!

All BNW heroes use a high quality unique body graphic and have wonderful portraits. I hope that all will have their own individual stories before I am done as well. Many do, but there is still work to be done in this area.

I think BNW heroes are very special, and if you play the mod, there's a chance you may think so too.

Many new wizards have also been added and some extra ones are included.

NEW UNITS

It probably isn't necessary to also mention new units after already talking about the new races etc. However, as well as new units for each race, there are also many new additional units that appear as independents, as I like to use a lot of these for recruitment structures, quest rewards, guards and so on... Generally, I just like having a wide variety of stuff while playing. So you can expect to see all kinds of new units in this version, with everything from animals to mad ogres and even occasional sci-fi stuff which I know some really enjoy, heh.

RACIAL SHIPS

A long time ago a couple of guys by the names of cowboys94 and RMX suggested racial ships for BNW. Well..it took a while (like three years,heh), but this new version has racial ships. They are in the editor now but are not yet available in shipyards as I have not yet finalized their stats/costs or which ship goes to which race. I also haven't decided yet if they will replace the default generic ships or if each race just gets an additional unique ship. However, in this beta version you can check them out in the editor and place them on maps if you wish.

So anyway, I doubt you guys are still playing this game, but thanks for the suggestions!

NEW MAP STRUCTURES

BNW 2.0 added some nice new map structures and 2.5 (which I imagine most people will never of seen as it was never available in the downloads section) included many more. There are some nice new ones in this version as well and more will be in the final version.

SPELLS & ABILITIES

There have been various additional tweaks and adjustments in these areas as well as some new summon spells. A couple I really like are the Headless Horseman with his firebombs that stun and the frost-blowing magical Snowman!

You will also see more units with advanced skills like Marksmanship V, Leadership IV etc. These type of things are often given at gold medal, but also to units where I just think it fits.

Special thanks to PawelS and his excellent uniteditor2 program which allows mod-makers to give advanced abilities to units.

MAP COMPATIBILITY

The mod was made to be as compatible as possible with maps made for the default rules, with thought and care given to how changes would affect playing maps. This not only includes the actual changes or additions the mod makes, but also the method in which they were made.

For example, different sections of the editor you have to be careful with. In some areas it may be fine to do things a certain way (delete and replace, cut and paste etc.), but in other areas this may not be a good idea, especially if you want people to play normal maps with your mod. If the mod is not designed to be compatible with maps then it may not be as much of a problem. However, With BNW I do want people to be able to play maps, and so I try as much as I can to do things in ways which will work well in general, but also work well with maps.

However, that being said, BNW is a mod and not a patch, and when you play a map with it things are meant to be different. Also there's a limit to how much compatibility I can have, and still have the mod be what I want it to be.

In BNW 2.0 when you played maps any custom heroes the map-maker included continued to use the default generic rider graphics. Well I decided to change that and in this version a unique body graphic will be used as the default for the various classes of heroes of each race. Now these won't always match very well tcustom portraits that map-makers may of included for their heroes. However, this was inevitable with the new races, and there is no point keeping the default generic riders in my mod any more.

Likewise, while one can change the text in game (Frostlings become Asgardians etc.), this doesn't affect text that map-makers add to their maps. So text in maps will often still refer to things from the normal game and not BNW.

In terms of actual gameplay, while there are many changes, we do try and keep the basic structure of the game intact. And when I put new units in, I keep in mind the unit it is replacing. So you won't have things like a level four Dark Elf unit being put in a slot used by a level two Archon unit etc.

Now that being said, there are a very few instances where to have complete compatibility with maps, comes into conflict with what I feel is best for my mod. And in these cases I choose what's best for my mod over compatibility with maps.

An example of this is Zulian heroes. Zulians replace Draconians in this version of BNW, and any maps which have Draconian heroes will now have Zulian heroes in their place. This, of course, is how it should be in a mod where a race is replaced by another. If Draconian heroes appeared as heroes from some other race other than the one which replaces them...well, that would be a problem.

The thing is, while Draconian heroes have floating, Zulian heroes do not, and this has the possibility of causing a conflict with maps where Draconian heroes may be required to float around the map in areas not accessible by walking. In fact, if a Draconian hero is placed on lava on a map for example, when you went to play that map with BNW that hero would not appear.

Now I have no idea how many maps like this exist. I suspect very few, possibly even none. However, it does illustrate the point that while I have tried to make my mod as compatible as possible with maps, it is a mod which makes many changes, and in some rare instances these changes may adversely affect the playability of a particular map.

In general though, I think that you will not have many problems playing maps made for default rules with BNW. If you enjoy BNW, and it is a good map, then you will enjoy playing that map with BNW.

WRAPPING IT UP

Let me end by saying that this is a beta version, and of course that means it is not completely finished. Many units still need new descriptions and some still use old ones and in game text still needs to be changed in more areas for example. There are things I just haven't gotten to yet, and there will undoubtedly be many changes and additions in the final version. However I believe most things are setup well and there should not be significant bugs or oddities in the mod.

I plan to try to hopefully release a final version before too long and if you would like to offer suggestions or perhaps even help out a bit by possibly writing a unit description or two, please send an e-mail to:

Capt_Kirk_Picard@hotmail.com

Adios!

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 11-22-2020 @ 01:12 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-24-08 07:31 PM EDT (US)     121 / 792  
Thanks for the reply.

I think morphing is WAY beyond my capablity. I don,t even know what a hex editor is.

Thanks anyway!!!
posted 05-25-08 05:51 PM EDT (US)     122 / 792  
Hi Kirky!

I have just discoverd and read the interview with you, made by Swolte!
I read it from the first to the last word in one part and I am oply a poor german guy that needs some time to read and understand english texts!

Very interesting and exciting!
Thanks Swolte and Kirky for this interview.
Was big fun to read it!!!
I have often found myself in there. The same kind you answered and I often have the same point of view - as we two found out earlyer in our email talks

I know you canīt think what is after BNW 3. I understand it. I feel the same for my endless big project but I will guarantee you are a much to big maniac to end up and leave after this. You will need a break for sure like me too...

Also very interesting the 'C64 thing'
I had this fantasic machine too and when you recapitulate all the time... We both must be very old now
NAmes like checksummer or Turbo Tape, list, run and so on... Ahhhhh... I was so jung. Sex was new... OK I will stop here.........
Maybe we have this passion for modding/mapmaking now because of typing in this endless listings... Searching for 'some' typo-errors after we finaly (after some 'seconds' ) typed them in (in the first days/month/years without this nice checksmmer tool) the listings, it took 'some' time to find the errors .
My god what fine days where this!? Our skin was sallow because sun was much to bringht for our eyes... OK thatīs enought.

Mapmaking and eventscripting and testing or moddmaking is like this listings sometimes, right?

Passion...

Congratualtion and thank you both for this nice interview .

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 05-25-08 08:09 PM EDT (US)     123 / 792  
Hi Mister Groll!

Haha, great post! I am glad I am not the only one who remembers the ol' c-64 and things like typing in programs.

You know, doing this interview really brought back memories of those early days. I remember I had my c-64 a few weeks when I got a new magazine called Ahoy! which featured a game called Crypt of Fear by Cleveland M. Blakemore. This game was a 3-D Dungeon Adventure! My eyes were popping out my little head looking at it!

Oh this was going to be good! Oh this was going to be grand!

But first I had to type it in!

So I began entering the listing from the magazine. It must of taken me a week and I think I developed caluses on the two fingers I used to type it in!

Finally the day came when it was ready and I typed in the magical command:

Load"Crypt of Fear",8

then I saw:

Searching for Crypt of Fear

It was loading, Mister Groll! It was loading!

Anticipation was high and the lights were dim as time seemed to slow to a crawl...

After what seemed and eternity I saw a message:

Ready

It was ready Mister Groll! It was ready!

With trembling hands I typed in the final incantation which would begin my journey into this new realm of adventure:

Run

Some text popped up with the name of the program and the screen border started flashing...

It was flashing, Mister Groll! It was flashing!

After some time a screen appeared with a nice title screen and the message:

Please Wait...Opening Dungeons

The dungeons were opening! They were opening!

Finally it said:

Press Firebutton to begin!

Barely able to breath, I clicked the button and the wind began to howl!

But it was dark and I couldn't see! I didn't know what to do! What should I do?

Maybe I should light my torch! Yes that's it! I will light my torch!

And finally there it was...the Crypt of Fear!

Oh it was scary! Oh it looked frightening! Oh it was really only just box shaped lines but it seemed more to me!

I started forward on my adventure and had not gotten far when I was confronted by the blackest creature ever to crawl out of the darkest pit. This being was evil incarnate and it had a name:

Return without Gosub Error in Line XXX

Oh Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

So I tried again and kept getting the same error. I went through the listing and couldn't find any mistakes, so I decided to call the magazine lol. I may of spoken to the actual programmer and he told me what the problem was (not that I understood any of what he said at that time, heh) and that a fix would be available on the next issue. I was disappointed and I think he could tell, so he told me if I never went forward, but turned around and went backwards through the dungeon I wouldn't get the error.

So I played my first 3-D dungeon game by moving backwards through the entire maze, lol.

And I loved every minute of it too.

Thanks Grolly!

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 05-25-2008 @ 08:23 PM).]

posted 05-26-08 03:24 AM EDT (US)     124 / 792  
Hahahaaaaa!!!

Yes I remember all this again.
Return without Gosub error was one of my favorites too
I think playing the game went backwards shows the power of imagination and fantasy you have.
It was because we have pused us up every minute when we type in thise lines waiting for the final result.
The imagination of a fantastic game was so big that even the worst game was a big adventure.
Now we are in the confortable situation that we can create things and others need to cry when they play mods or maps.
Maybe itīs a part of our childhood that we become so sadistic somtimes.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 05-28-08 09:26 AM EDT (US)     125 / 792  
Is there a smart way to make a multi-figure model?

Is it possible to make a script or macro that automate the process or must it be made by hand?

Example:

I want to make a 4-5 multifigure model of this unit. Is it possible?

Link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2816
posted 05-28-08 10:06 PM EDT (US)     126 / 792  
Hi elite_dannux,

Okay, to make muti-figure units, you don't actually have to make the ILB multi-figure. In the unit bodies section you copy and paste the animations into the unit body in the editor so there are more than one set of indexes (it's similar in principle to how ships are set up in the normal game or the the death animation for the dire penguin).

For example, let's day you wanted to make the normal Human Militia unit to be three across. In the unit bodies section you copy the human militia into another slot then generate its animations in a different position (let's say right of center) then you ctrl-c and ctrl-v the animations back into the milita so there are two of them. You then repeat this until you got your three militia guys.

You can check out Rosen McStern's Glorantha mod to see how this is done. He has a lot of multi-figure units in his mod. He may know some tricks or shortcuts to this as well.

Cheers!

Kirky

P.S. You can find models like this which are nicer than this one. I think someone did an x-com pack at civ I remember downloading and I have seen some other similar ones to this which are better too.

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 05-28-2008 @ 10:48 PM).]

posted 05-29-08 07:38 AM EDT (US)     127 / 792  
Ok thanks alot!

Ill try this out as soon as possible!
posted 05-30-08 09:18 PM EDT (US)     128 / 792  
Just posting to say good job!
I haven't played this game in a looong time.. and was tooling around on the net and stumbled on this mod. Loaded up the game and tried it.. awesome!

Two questions though.

1) I understand it's beta and you still have tweaks/text.. etc.. to do.. but i want to be sure i have it installed correctly. Are there some units which have no graphics at the moment? I see a ton of new units, but there is almost an equal amount that has no graphics. So in game, they show up blank in the unit portrait screen and just a dark shadow represents them on the tactical battlefield.

I did run the program to activate the BNW data, and have the advanced setup configured to use the Beta in custome resources.

2) I loaded the editor, and same thing - saw lots of new units, but quite a few have blank graphics.
Does the Custome resource setting in the setup screen have to point to "BNW Editor" ? I am asking cause i saw no apparent difference with it selected and with it de-selected.

Thanks for the great mod!
posted 05-30-08 11:13 PM EDT (US)     129 / 792  
Hi jureidinim,

The only place you should see a blank graphic is for the shadow hydra unit. I actually included the ILB for that unit but in the editor it's setup for a different named version of that ILB before it was recolored.

So my question is have you also installed BNW 2.0 and is your game properly patched to UPatch 1.4?

Thanks.

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 05-30-2008 @ 11:14 PM).]

posted 05-31-08 10:46 AM EDT (US)     130 / 792  
Kirky,

I downloaded/installed BNWv3.0_Beta

During installation, i pointed it to my Age of Wonders game directory.

Yes, UPatch 1.4 was installed first.

Order:
AOW2:SM
UPatch 1.4 (which installed 1.3 first)
BNWv3.0_Beta

*EDIT* --> Also ran the enable BNW3 extras program **

A lot of the units have their icons/animations, but quite a few are just blank in the portrait screen and just show up as a moving shadow in battles.

On this topic - was the original wizards to be removed? I no longer see the original wizard faces either (in selecting them at game start) - just blank. The newer wizards you have are all showing.

[This message has been edited by jureidinim (edited 05-31-2008 @ 10:55 AM).]

posted 05-31-08 12:39 PM EDT (US)     131 / 792  
Hi jureidinim,

You also need to have BNW 2.0 installed (Check out the main post: DOWNLOADING THE MOD). Here's the link for BNW 2.0:

http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=614

This should be installed prior to installing BNW Beta 3.0. However, since you already installed 3.0 you can just install that again after installing BNW 2.0.

The Default Wizard portraits were replaced with all new wizard portraits. You will see the missing ones once you install BNW 2.0.

Cheers!

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 05-31-2008 @ 12:41 PM).]

posted 05-31-08 01:16 PM EDT (US)     132 / 792  
Ahh... missed that.. i thought v 3.0 was a complete package.

downloading v 2.0 now.

Just to confirm -
1) I don't have to uninstall anything
2) Install v 2.0
3) Re-install v 3.0
4) point resources to v 3.0 in AOW:SM setup
5) Run the program to add BNW v3.0 extras
6) play game

That about right?

Thanks
posted 05-31-08 01:28 PM EDT (US)     133 / 792  
YEP!

Hehe.

Kirky
posted 06-02-08 06:33 AM EDT (US)     134 / 792  
Kirky,

Thanks! That did the trick!
All icons now visible. Awesome work!
posted 06-03-08 07:24 AM EDT (US)     135 / 792  
Kirky

How did you exstract the Warcraft models with all the animations?

What program did you use?

The reason that i ask is because i want to exstract the models from Warhammer: Dawn of War and use them in a AoW mod.

[This message has been edited by elite_dannux (edited 06-03-2008 @ 03:52 PM).]

posted 06-04-08 02:48 PM EDT (US)     136 / 792  
elite_dannux!

Well, the main programs for the warcraft and wow models were viewers for those games. Neither viewer would be of any use for warhammer though. You would have to search around community sites etc. for that game and see what may be available or possible.

With some games (warcraft for example) the map editor that comes with the game lets you view the models and you can set directions and animations. This by itself would make it possible to capture these models with a screen recorder which is how I have made some ILBs in BNW.

So you have to see what's out there for warhammer if you want to use graphics from that.

Cheers!

Kirky
posted 06-04-08 05:09 PM EDT (US)     137 / 792  
I really wish you wouldn't have zipped the install. Its already compact as it can get. Anyways the save is off of heaven so couldn't you have uploaded the exe unzipped? The zipping just added ALOT of time waiting for it to unzip(my PC is slow though) Plus I had to make room for both parts(1400mb + overhead virtual memory for the unpacking) which meant swapping between hard drives and deleting. (altogether I think it took at least 40 min I havent even installed it yet, but just for it to reach that point where it was ready for that)

How much room does this install take up when finished?

@jureidinim

Since I'm sure the game uses custom name files, you may have to set language to english rather then auto in setup for playing.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 06-04-2008 @ 05:13 PM).]

posted 06-08-08 08:57 AM EDT (US)     138 / 792  
Yeah the morphs should definitely either automatically have their silver medal reward when they morph via morphing into a second version of the unit that already has it. Or add the silver medal reward to gold as well so it can eventually get that ability.

Recruitment structures should all be razable (so that if you win a structure with units you can't pay for or keep happy your win doesn't become possibly the enemies win) But with no raze guards (so that its not easily exploitable to keep razing them for experience after recruiting)

When might there be a new version with changes like that kirk?

Also, is there a way to change the install extra files so they start out pointed to my game directory & I don't need to manually change it every time?

Where does it store the back up files for converting back so that I can put a dwiggs language file for my turn back instead of default?

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 06-08-2008 @ 09:11 AM).]

posted 06-09-08 02:08 PM EDT (US)     139 / 792  
Hi TruePurple,

Yes the silver medal rewards will be removed from the upgraded units (some have already).

I don't know if I will make all recruitment sites razeable. I understand not wanting another player to get units from a recruit site that a different player took, and that's why in BNW while there are many different creatures available in the various creature dwellings, there is not something like a dozen units ready to be hired when you take a dwelling, but usually only a few. I don't want to have to sit on a recruit site for a dozen turns just so someone else doesn't end up getting the units. However, to make them razeable would mean the graphic would have to look the same both when someone actually razes it or when someone has purchased all the units.

I can't say when an update will be ready. I am trying to get an update done soon which I might make available to other people.

I guess you have shadow magic installed to some other directory than the default. Once the final version is ready I will try to have it check the registry to see where people have the game installed. I will have to find out how to do this though. :P

It doesn't back up files. Enable BNW Extras puts in the BNW stuff while Disable BNW Extras puts back in the normal stuff.

Cheers!

Kirky
posted 06-09-08 02:53 PM EDT (US)     140 / 792  
I think all structures have a razed graphic by default - even when they are set to non-razeable. The reason - in one game, I cast Hellfire when taking a recruitment structure and Hellfire destroyed the recruitment structure graphic in the TC map. After that, when I won the battle, I couldn't recruit anything because the 'the recruitment structure lies in ruins'. The graphic wwas similar to the recruitment structure without units (this was a dragon's nest or the critters' den - one of those two)
So, even if its set to razeable and is razed, the razed graphic should resemble the same as when it has no units. Obviously, I haven't verified this again (sorry!)

If you want the slot where the razed graphic is present, you could check the Dwiggs' version where such structures are razeable.
I will try to have it check the registry to see where people have the game installed. I will have to find out how to do this though
I can help you with this (I thought I sent you an email but I must have forgot - will do so when I get home)

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 06-09-08 03:40 PM EDT (US)     141 / 792  
Hi Timelord,

What I mean is there can't be a seperate graphic for when the recruite site is razed (say a bunch of rubble) and another graphic for when it is just empty. I know you can still have the razed smoke-type fx coming out of it and the message that the structure lay in ruins. Some structures like the circus when it is empty looks like it has been razed anyway, but others like say the creature den just look empty.

Anyway, I don't have any real strong opinion about this. I can make some recruit places razeable if that's what people want.

You did send me an e-mail about helping with the installer and having it check the registry and thanks for that. I will e-mail you when the final release is nearly ready. It's not urgent at the moment since this is still some ways away.

Thanks a lot!

Kirky
posted 06-10-08 10:16 AM EDT (US)     142 / 792  
Yes the silver medal rewards will be removed from the upgraded units (some have already).
That is much different then the approach I was talking about. So I'm not sure what your saying "yes" to. When you take out the silver rewards, those versions of the unit that you don't get from morph won't have it as well right?

What about making a way to modify the installer to point to a different directory? Might you be willing to make me a custom installer that points to C:\Games\Age of Wonders Shadow Magic and uses the dwiggs language file as default, please? (if its not too much effort I mean)

As far as getting recruit structures to have different graphics when razed verses when just empty, I'm not even sure why you would want that. The person who took and razed the structure would know, anyone else need not know which it is (but might know if they observed the razing via a spy)

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 06-10-2008 @ 10:18 AM).]

posted 06-11-08 06:27 PM EDT (US)     143 / 792  
Hi TruePurple,

Send me the Dwigs language file and I will make the disable BNW extras put that in instead of the default for you.

Thanks.

Kirky
posted 06-16-08 05:46 PM EDT (US)     144 / 792  
Void mistress gets steal enchantment at silver, but when I upgrade her to void emperess she loses steal enchantment and gets only dispel enchantment as a replacement. This seems wrong to me

Gazelle is suppose to get vision 1 at silver but does not. Its suppose to get vision 2 at gold, I dont know yet if it does. But its not that great of a unit otherwise, so it deserves that vision.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 06-16-2008 @ 07:04 PM).]

posted 06-16-08 10:26 PM EDT (US)     145 / 792  
Too many items give block along with too many heros that start out with block. It makes block very common place and gives people no reason to choose it as a upgrade.

Also maybe vision 3/4 along with heal, control animal, and range is a bit much. Some of these heroes are too good I think.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 06-16-2008 @ 10:52 PM).]

posted 06-16-08 11:28 PM EDT (US)     146 / 792  
TruePurple!

Steal Enchantment on the void mistress is a typo in the description. She actually doesn't get that skill. The Gazelle has 44 speed so it is good in its way. It's a relatively inexpensive wildlife unit that you may find in a dwelling.

Many heroes don't have block to start and some can never learn it. A lot of warriors and some others do have it, but most shields should have block regardless I think.

Vision, control animal and range is very nice for some of the ranger heros. I am in a game now and have such a hero and he is quite good and very useful. However, unless I am very lucky with items and the others I am playing are not, then he will be no match for their warrior and paladin heros.

Sometimes to know what's too good or not you actually have to have some experience playing, as opposed to just looking in the editor and forming opinions.

Cheers!

Kirky
posted 06-17-08 02:16 PM EDT (US)     147 / 792  
Please don't make assumptions about me just looking through the editor. Actually if you had read my post carefully "Gazelle is suppose to get vision 1 at silver but does not. Its suppose to get vision 2 at gold, I dont know yet if it does." Should have given you a clue this did not come from looking through the editor but actual game play.(since if I was in the editor, I would know whether or not it gave vision 2 at gold)

Actually I haven't looked at BNW 3 with the editor once yet. Furthermore I spent much of yesterday and all of last night playing BNW 3.

On which, I recommend medium map settings or few of structures etc. I spent 8-9 hours playing Large UG with settings of avg except few towns. But only the last hour or less was spent battling each other. Not that the game was even officially resolved via wizard defeat. Instead we decided to declare who ever won the battle between armies, the winner of the game(I won) As dracodian grumbled, hours of nearly SP game decided by one or two battles. Which seems to be true since BNW is typically all about getting that experience, so to lose your experience filled army can mean your defeated.

Void mistress: Oops, I spent so little time with any at silver. Descriptions should be corrected for all units of course so people know what they will get.

"Vision, control animal and range"

And heal,(vision 3, which quickly upgraded to vision 4) As well as MM2 I got one lilly, with all that last game and let me tell you, it held up fine against some very tough units and heroes. she got tangle latter. She recruited like 2-3 bears and like 3-4 level 2 cats. Getting experience for each recruit.

The early heal was great the vision 4 was too much (especially considering the rest) I could see so much of the map with it.

On the flip side, kiefer the flying hero on what looks like a roc has abysmal starting stats and really only two abilities, grasp & vision 3. I assume to compensate for his flying. But control animal is usually much better then flying in BNW anyways.

You might consider giving kiefer and other units with powerful mounts have better stats and making him a higher level unit too. Stats that at least match if not surpass the mount he is on.

Gazelle is not that great for a level 2, the speed is ok but not that useful in its own. Maybe it could get concealment at silver or gold? (its very hard to medal)

Block:
Of the 6 heroes the first game (purchased one from structure) I had NO heroes without block, the second game had 1 of 5. Not only do shields all give block (and shields are a very common item) but a few non shields do to (like a helmet) Even lilly the ranger I talked about earlier started with block!

Also heroes and some units are too fast I think. There should be a few slower units/heroes like dwiggs has. The faster ones could also have slightly more HP but be mounted.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 06-17-2008 @ 02:21 PM).]

posted 06-17-08 07:27 PM EDT (US)     148 / 792  
TruePurple!

I read the previous post fully. The vision listed in the upgrades for the Gazelle is a typo as well. Descriptions will be corrected, but this is a beta and I mentioned in the intial post there would be mistakes like these. If there were no mistakes and everything was finished I wouldn't of named it BNW 3.0 Beta.

I did a quick count of heroes and came up with 110 heroes who don't start with block. Of those 110 heroes 46 of them can never learn it either. There are 57 shields in the game that have block and one helm which you happened to find that has it as well. There are also many other types of artifacts with the most numerous being weapons. So just because in these two games of yours most of the heroes already had block doesn't mean that this is always the case and it's foolish to make broad assumptions based on minimal experience. In my game I was playing my hero never did learn block and I never found a shield either. I found plenty of other goodies though.

Vision on the ranger heroes may be their biggest asset and I agree on its importance. However, like I have said these ranger heroes generally just don't become as huge as some other heroes in the later stages of the game. I know this from experience over not two games, but hundreds if not thousands of games. Not all rangers are the same and some can become very strong. However, most of the archer type heroes are big early in the game and will help you on the map, but other heroes usually become better later on.

I haven't seen enough of Kiefer yet to have a strong opinion on how good he is. He does have less stats to compensate for flying. Keep in mind any flying hero can possibly find some ranged artifact like the cannon and then it can be a bit goofy. Also, the grasp can help get him get levels early on without much risk. I do agree that the graphic would suggest a more powerful hero and there are others like this as well. However, I make most heroes level 1 otherwise the chances of them being in any of my games are very slim. So for me I choose to make a hero maybe a bit weaker than it looks rather than just have it be some hero in the editor I never get to use in game.

Eight or nine hours for a 1 on 1 game on an L random map may have something to do with the players and thier slowness. It doesn't take me half that long to play a 1 on 1 L map.

Very slow players who have always played quick combat should probably not even bother with tactical combat games really. Try it with the qc style you are used to and if it's too hard for you or you can't be bothered trying to adjust then just uninstall the mod and go back to the mods and play-style you prefer.

By the way, it's ironic that after complaining about how long the game you played took, you then suggest I should make units slower, lol.

Cheers!

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 06-18-2008 @ 04:36 AM).]

posted 06-29-08 02:07 AM EDT (US)     149 / 792  
I Can't seem to get the map editor to work for the Mod. Is there some sort of trick to make it work? Also, name changes are not showing up? Did I do something wrong on the install?

Also, random map generator through the custom scenario hangs on the load after I choose race, magic, wizard, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to create maps for BNW 3.0.

(Mod is Awesome! Loved the new races, the morphing, the new heroes. Great job...!)
posted 06-29-08 02:55 PM EDT (US)     150 / 792  
The Mighty Thor!

Well...I am not sure, but it sounds like you may be trying to play with the editor version selected in AoWSM Setup and not the BNW 3.0 Beta? That would work as well, but you would not be able to play maps made for default rules with the editor selected without first loading and saving them in the editor first. Which of course, you don't have to do when 3.0 is selected.

The editor version of the mod has two basic purposes:

First, it's a way to check out the mod in the editor and do things like look at unit bodies and various other stuff. With the Beta version you would have to select New and essentially create a copy of the resource set to look at it this way, so the editor version already does this. I knew some people would want to check out the mod in the editor and might not know how to do so.

Secondly, it can be used for advanced things that mapmakers may want to do like having different bodies for custom heroes other than the latest ones which will pop up.

There are other things it could be used for, but to keep things simple, those are its main two functions and if you are not doing these things then there is really no reason to ever select it. You can make maps without ever using the editor version and just have the BNW 3.0 selected as normal.

I am not sure why the name changes are not showing up for you. You should run 'Enable BNW Extras' which is located in your main Age of Wonders Shadow Magic folder and make sure the directory it installs to is correct if you have the game installed somewhere other than c:\program files\age of wonders shadow magic. Your game also needs to be properly patched! This is very important and from my experiences talking to people im e-mails etc., it seems that many people do not patch their game correctly. Quite a few folks out there after patching their game do an extra step which essentially reverses the changes they just did by patching the game and reverts it back to an unpatched version (at least the exe file). I can't go into more detail about this here though, lol.

I really have no idea why the game would hang when you try running the random generator. Even if you were running the game with the editor version selected this shouldn't happen.

If you still have problems you could send an e-mail to:

Capt_Kirk_Picard@hotmail.com

and I could go into more specifics there. Alternately, anyone who is having a problem with the mod or wants to ask me a question can add me to MSN Messenger if they want to. It may sometimes be easier to talk someone through something there.

Thanks for the comments!

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 06-29-2008 @ 03:57 PM).]

posted 07-14-08 09:22 AM EDT (US)     151 / 792  
Are you still with us Kirky? I sent you an e-mail a couple days ago and haven't heard anything back.
posted 07-14-08 07:32 PM EDT (US)     152 / 792  
Yep, still here and have replied to e-mail.

Cheers!

Kirky
posted 07-21-08 04:02 AM EDT (US)     153 / 792  
Hiya,

We're having a blast playing BNW 3.0 so far

However, not sure if it's been mentionned already but the "no surrender" option has dissapeared from the setup menu. It's a bit frustrating when multiplaying online.

Hopefully the option to disable 'surrender' will reappear in the final BNW release ?

Congratz again Kirky for this amazing mod
posted 07-21-08 10:22 AM EDT (US)     154 / 792  
I would have to second the 'no surrender' thing if that's truly happening(I haven't played it yet). I always disable surrendering on single player maps.
posted 07-21-08 10:12 PM EDT (US)     155 / 792  
Hi Morphem!

Thanks for the comments and I am glad you are enjoying the mod. I have no idea why you don't see the surrender option. Nothing has happened to it and it functions exactly as normal.

I play multiplayer most nights and single player too and always click off surrender unless I forget lol. So something is wrong with your setup. It might be best to try installing again.

Cheers!

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 08-03-2008 @ 05:37 PM).]

posted 07-22-08 03:15 PM EDT (US)     156 / 792  
You were right, made a clean reinstall & the surrender option is back.
Everything works perfect, can't wait for the final release though
posted 08-03-08 09:28 AM EDT (US)     157 / 792  
Kirky that is wrond with the installation pack?
I killed BNW 3 installation files by hazard and when I came to download it again, it says that such page does not exist. Did Someone delted it or you did it yourself?
posted 08-03-08 01:20 PM EDT (US)     158 / 792  
Hi WonderR,

Iskatu Mesk hosts the mod on his personal web space (thanks again, mate!) and I don't think there's anything wrong there. I just tried downloading it myself and didn't see any problem. You should maybe check your browser settings and make sure they allow you to visit the page.

In other news...

An update will be available soon that corrects any actual mistakes (as opposed to imaginary ones ) that were found in the beta. It adds some new things as well, including some cool stuff for mapmakers.

Kirky

[This message has been edited by Kirky Picardo (edited 08-03-2008 @ 03:34 PM).]

posted 08-03-08 05:46 PM EDT (US)     159 / 792  
Hi,

Download works for me, too, but often Dreamhost is an extremely unreliable server and can go down at random. Just try again later on and it should work.
posted 08-04-08 11:13 AM EDT (US)     160 / 792  
Will it be a somewhat final version Kirky? I'm getting anxious here...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 10 ··· 20  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Brave New World v3.2 Available for Download!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames