You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Spain Online Reports (3 consecutive R:TW battles)
posted 21 December 2007 17:43 EDT (US)   
Before you follow me on my Spanish battles, I want everyone to know that I refer to “Spain” as “Spain” because it's the name given to it by the designers. By the way, this is the "Spain" of Antiquity.

So basically, Spain is pretty bad. I'd say they're en par with Gaul in terms of lethalness, but Spain does have an advantage in the missile department since Gallic Foresters are way too expensive at low denarii.

That said, it's time to join me as I take you on a march with the warriors of Spain...

Online Battle #683: Spain vs Rome
December 17, 2007
Grassy Flatlands

Spain (me)
- 6 Iberian Infantry (plus general)
- 4 Long Shield Cavalry
- 6 Slingers

Scipii Romans (Blue)
- 2 Roman Armoured Generals (plus general)
- 2 Cavalry Auxilia
- 1 Praetorian Cavalry
- 1 Urban Cohort
- 1 Praetorian Cohort
- 2 Hastati
- 2 Triarii
- 1 Velite
- 1 Archer Auxilia
- 1 Auxilia
- 1 Onagers
- 1 Repeating Ballistas

Once the battle started, I came right at my opponent.

(I ordered my troops to charge before they had time to realize they were up against Romans)

There was no brilliant pre-battle maneuvering – I simply shoved my infantry line into Blue's. I did this because of a noticeable weakness in his infantry line. Certainly, the Urban Cohort, Praetorian Cohort, and Hastati on his left were life-threatening, but on the right side of his line stood Triarii, Auxilia and Hastati. I had faith in my Iberian Infantry to overpower his right flank quick enough to support my infantry opposing his elite Urban/Praetorian Cohorts.

(the Praetorian Cohorts had more trouble fighting their laughter than my Iberian Infantry)

Aware of the weakness on his right, Blue decided to re-deploy his Urban Cohorts to his right flank. This was a good move by blue since my Iberian Infantry had just managed to rout the Hastati and Auxilia on his right. The Urban Cohorts plugged in that gap most effectively.

On my opponent's left flank, his Praetorian Cohorts were giving my Iberian Infantry the business. Due to my huge superiority in infantry numbers, though, I was able to use multiple units against 1 of his. Even his elite units like the Urban Cohorts and Praetorian Cohorts couldn't take too much of that abuse. They fought to the last man as any good Roman should do.

During the huge infantry battle in the center, my cavalry was used mainly to annoy his cavalry (and keep them away from my undisciplined infantry). During my cavalry maneuvers, I caught his Praetorian Cavalry in an isolated position in which I was able to gang up on it with multiple Long Shield Cavalry. Once his Praetorian Cavalry was out of the picture, it was easier to clean up his remaining horses with combined attacks from cavalry and infantry.

With the freedom to do as they pleased, my cavalry wreaked havoc on Blue's artillery pieces at spear-range. Furthermore, any Roman units found running away from the battlefield were trounced by the Spanish horses.

(still laughing at Spanish cavalry?)

The battle could've been over a lot sooner, but my opponent insisted on running away from me with his remaining Cavalry Auxilia unit for a solid 4-5 minutes. Sometimes running away has tactical meaning but not when it involves 1 depleted Cavalry Auxilia versus my entire Spanish army.

Online Battle #684: Thrace vs Britons

I won't discuss this battle since it didn't involve Spain. When my opponent picked the Britons, I really didn't feel like fighting them without pikes/spears. To make a long story short, I won this battle (without Spain). End of story.

Online Battle #685: Spain vs Greece
December 18, 2007
Grassy Flatlands

Spain (me)
- 2 Bull Warriors (plus general)
- 4 Scutarii
- 3 Long Shield Cavalry
- 6 Slingers

Greece (Katya)
- 2 General's Armoured Bodyguard (plus general)
- 5 Spartan Hoplites
- 2 Heavy Onagers
- 1 Peasant

For this battle, I purposely deployed in the most chaotic manner. The purpose of that ploy was primarily psychological. My opponent will either think I'm a noob or she won't know what to think at all. In either scenario, I'm the one who benefits.

In any case, I advanced slowly forward as I scanned Katya's army. The most obvious weakness of my opponent was her lack of archers. As I was advancing, I received a few nasty hits from Katya's pair of Heavy Onagers. “Onwards,” I pushed my Spaniards. The Heavy Onagers managed to get some lucky shots on my infantry...

(getting hit by artillery isn't as bad as it looks)

My cavalry moved ahead of the army at a trot. Katya then sent her 2 General's Armoured Bodyguard units to intercept my horses. My 3 Long Shields could overcome her Armoured Bodyguard with moderate casualties so I let that event unfold with little interest. Knowing this, Katya sent two units of Spartan hoplites to assist in dealing with my cavalry. Luckily, the Greek horses routed before the Spartans could assist them.

(Spanish gallantry on horseback)

My opponent was then confused as to which units to attack with her artillery (as evident in the rotating movement of the Greek onagers). My Slingers threw so many rocks at the artillery crew, though, that they were unable to operate their machinery altogether.

My Slingers then rushed around the flanks of the Spartans. That was the decisive movement in the battle as it presented my opponent with two options: stand fast (and die) or move fast (and die).

(meet the fastest slingers in the Old, Old West)

My opponent decided to rush forward and attack my infantry. The Spartans advanced with magnificent valour and discipline, but they were no match for the combined force of Slingers, Long Shields, Bull Warriors and Iberian Infantry.

(Swarming with Spain)

The lack of Greek archers forced the Spartans into that predicament.

Online Battle #686: Spain vs Egypt
December 18, 2007
Grassy Flatlands

Spain (me)
- 6 Scutarii (plus general)
- 4 Long Shield Cavalry
- 6 Slingers

Egypt (Sean)
- 6 Pharaoh's Guards (plus general)
- 3 Pharaoh's Bowmen
- 2 Egyptian Chariot Generals
- 2 Heavy Onagers

My opponent didn't have the most optimal Egyptian army, but he had the weaponry to annihilate me. Sean, my Egyptian adversary in this battle, confessed before the battle that he had no experience with Egypt.

When I saw his deployment, I assumed right away that he had no experience. But as an online player, you can never assume anything.

(my first time seeing an Egyptian use a Noob Circle)

Most experienced Egyptian players wouldn't deploy in a “noob circle” against my type of army (which is what my opponent did). Onagers, also, do not belong in an Egyptian army as it reduces the potential for more archers or chariot archers.

That said, he still had the troops to win. So I wasn't going to take too many chances regardless of what his deployment might look like.

I didn't want his Egyptian Chariot Generals gunning my Slingers down so I immediately launched all 4 units of my Long Shield Cavalry at them. It was a sacrifice to be sure. It wasn't an easy one either since my opponent kept his chariots in skirmish mode.

(Hmm...do I really want to catch those chariots?)

Slowly, but surely, I was able to kamikaze into his chariots as originally intended. All of my casualties from the entire battle would occur in this attack. It's amazing just how powerful chariots are.

During that chariot chase, my Slingers had managed to decimate the Pharaoh's Bowmen with ease.

(they're lucky we couldn't find any tomatoes)

I'm not sure what the infamous Bowmen of the Pharaoh were shooting at, but my Slingers managed to win this fight somehow with nothing more than a minor papercut (or should I say a minor “papyrus” cut?).

Sean's Onagers managed to get a few lucky shots at my Scutarii, but the damage I received was nothing compared to the damage I had given.

Without his Egyptian Chariot Generals and Pharaoh's Bowmen, Sean was reduced to the same tactical situation as my Greek opponent in the battle prior to this one.

Several times, my opponent attempted to lunge forward with his spearmen, but each time he did so, my Slingers reminded him of the futility of any course of action. The battle was long over, but my opponent fought like a brave warrior.

(Look, we almost look Roman here!)

He resisted my Spanish warriors until his men finally gave up on the battle.

CONCLUSION
I had fun with Spain. All of my opponents (except for Blue) had enjoyed the battles as much as I had. Spain is quite deadly, but they're definitely no substitute for Rome (despite a slight resemblance in infantry tactics).

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

[This message has been edited by PrinceofMacedon (edited 12-22-2007 @ 08:45 AM).]

Replies:
posted 21 December 2007 18:17 EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Well done mate! Thrace next? Haha I like these reports.
posted 21 December 2007 18:20 EDT (US)     2 / 15  
Thank you, comrade!

By the way, I did Thrace last week:
http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,6627,,10

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT
posted 21 December 2007 18:31 EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Of course you did I actually read it haha. Ah well good work regardless, try losing a match for once haha.
posted 21 December 2007 19:05 EDT (US)     4 / 15  
spain is one of my four favorite factions, i love the bullwarriors and their cavalry.

"Me, im dishonest, and a dishonest
man you can always trust to be dishonest,
honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch
out for, cause you can never predict when ther're going
to do something incredibly stupid." Jack Sparrow
posted 21 December 2007 21:56 EDT (US)     5 / 15  
Very cool Prince. First Thrace, then Gaul, now Spain. Which Underrated faction is next?

I have never really found Onagers to be of much use in single player battles, except to frighten enemy units (except of course in sieges where they are needed to knock down walls). Even in big battles where they expend all the ammo they rarely kill more than 30-40 men each. Is it the same in multiplayer?
posted 21 December 2007 22:53 EDT (US)     6 / 15  
Of course you did I actually read it haha. Ah well good work regardless, try losing a match for once haha.
I lost one on December 9. I was using Thrace against a Greek player. It was a close battle, but I met my demise
spain is one of my four favorite factions, i love the bullwarriors and their cavalry.
Who are your other 3 favorites?
Very cool Prince. First Thrace, then Gaul, now Spain. Which Underrated faction is next?
Well, those are pretty much all of the underrated factions haha

I might go back to doing battle series or I'll just select random battles and write about them. Not sure at the moment
I have never really found Onagers to be of much use in single player battles, except to frighten enemy units (except of course in sieges where they are needed to knock down walls). Even in big battles where they expend all the ammo they rarely kill more than 30-40 men each. Is it the same in multiplayer?
Yeah, Onagers are pretty much not worth the time in Multiplayer battles as well. I have seen a few exceptions to this rule but generally-speaking, they're best left out of your army. Although I allow my opponents to use whatever weapons they wish, most other players ban artillery from games. As to why, I haven't a clue - it's almost like banning Peasants from games.

[This message has been edited by PrinceofMacedon (edited 12-21-2007 @ 11:21 PM).]

posted 21 December 2007 23:56 EDT (US)     7 / 15  
I totally agree with the above. If a player wants to use artillery then its pretty much a waste of money.

Generally, I go for a kills to cost sort of army with a few exceptions. Some units can do more than just their kill counts suggest but that is limited, on average you want everyone pulling their weight. Onagers etc rarely do anything, 40 kills would be twice as much as I ever see from them making them near useless. The only exception I would make for them is if you want your opponent to come attack you when you have a defensive army in sight.

A fast player like Prince is on you before the first stone is even unpacked let alone on the machine, so you might as well throw the money in the lake!
posted 22 December 2007 04:47 EDT (US)     8 / 15  
How much of your cavalry did you lose against those Chariots? I tried a few battles online last week as Egypt, and I couldn't believe how destructive they are to cavalry! In the last battle, I routed 4 Praetorian Cavalry units easily with 3 Chariot Archers (although I did lose quite a few units myself.)

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
/\ingjianma/
|____
Proud Member of TWH since 2007 and AoKH since 2004
Seleucid AAR|Sarmatian AAR | Spain AAR
posted 22 December 2007 05:18 EDT (US)     9 / 15  
Well done- another faction I never seem to get working

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 22 December 2007 08:24 EDT (US)     10 / 15  
my favorite four factions are:
carthage, because i love their history and hannibal.
spain, for their bullwarriors, in my opinion one of the best allround units in the game.
germania, because i'm German and because of of their huge selection of units.
greek cities, because greek history has always interested me.

"Me, im dishonest, and a dishonest
man you can always trust to be dishonest,
honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch
out for, cause you can never predict when ther're going
to do something incredibly stupid." Jack Sparrow
posted 22 December 2007 08:53 EDT (US)     11 / 15  
FIXED: Oops! I just realized that I forgot to post the battle results of the Spain-Egypt battle. The battle result for that battle is posted now:

so you might as well throw the money in the lake!
Or you can throw that money into my wallet! lol
How much of your cavalry did you lose against those Chariots?
Thanks for asking! I went back to the screenshot (of the results) and guess what? I forgot to post the results for that battle. (it's up there now)

So basically, about 95% of those 170 kills that my opponent got all came against my cavalry. I had 216 horses (at the beginning).

Chariots are way too strong. Could you imagine if my opponent had 4-6 chariots? I would've resigned at the very beginning if he had that many.
Well done- another faction I never seem to get working
I don't think anyone can get them working (not against a good player using Rome or Egypt anyway) lol
my favorite four factions are:
carthage, because i love their history and hannibal.
spain, for their bullwarriors, in my opinion one of the best allround units in the game.
germania, because i'm German and because of of their huge selection of units.
greek cities, because greek history has always interested me.
Ah, my Germans are excellent online. I started a specific army trend with them online which I don't use anymore because it's really not my style.

Carthage is freaking awesome. Whenever I use Macedon, and my opponent uses Carthage, it's always a close battle. Alexander vs Hannibal anyone?

[This message has been edited by PrinceofMacedon (edited 12-22-2007 @ 08:55 AM).]

posted 22 December 2007 14:22 EDT (US)     12 / 15  
Wow, you leave me amazed yet again. Is there anyone you haven't won with?

Anyway, I like how you list your army and the enemy army, but do you think next time you could also tell us what upgrades you buy? I'm curious to see if you put more money into getting lots of troops or less troops with more upgrades.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
posted 22 December 2007 15:15 EDT (US)     13 / 15  
Perhaps do not pick under-rated factions, but instead good factions and just use their not so good troops.

Hastati and Principes of Rome, Levies (or normal) phalanxes, regular hoplites, etcetera. Or just don't use upgrades.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 22 December 2007 16:33 EDT (US)     14 / 15  
Wow, you leave me amazed yet again. Is there anyone you haven't won with?
Many thanks, General!

I think anyone can win with any faction if they wanted to which is why I did it 3 times. That said, the opponents I faced weren't the best in the world.
Perhaps do not pick under-rated factions, but instead good factions and just use their not so good troops.

Hastati and Principes of Rome, Levies (or normal) phalanxes, regular hoplites, etcetera. Or just don't use upgrades.
Here's me winning with Equites, Town Watch, 2 Incendiary Pigs and 2 Roman Archers. My opponent has 2 Armoured Elephants, 4 Silver Shield Pikemen, and 4 Archers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL15lYaNJsY

Any other challenges anyone? lol

[This message has been edited by PrinceofMacedon (edited 12-22-2007 @ 04:43 PM).]

posted 22 December 2007 17:01 EDT (US)     15 / 15  
Take the Greek peasant challange. I dare ya

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Spain Online Reports (3 consecutive R:TW battles)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames