Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RTW Germania Short Campagin AAR
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02 July 2009 19:10 EDT (US)   
Guten Tag!
Good Day!

Welcome to my AAR Germania campaign. I will divide the glorious campagin into short chapters for my convience. Let me know if you can't understand something or have trouble with the images. I aim to please. So sit down and relax. Let's Roll.
Edit: Oh, and something else. Please post replies if you want to see the next post. Authors can't post back-to-back relpies, so if you see the last post is by me just post something so i can move on.

Chapter 1: Introduction and Birth

The settings for this campaign are:

No advice (duh)
Easy Campaign
Very Hard Battles
Manage All Settlements
Follow AI Characters
Short Campaign

Germanic AAR - Crimean Khanate AAR
92% of teens have moved on to rap. if you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

[This message has been edited by blader1176 (edited 07-03-2009 @ 07:47 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02 July 2009 20:41 EDT (US)     1 / 40  
Cool, another AAR! I think it is a good idea to take all the nearby rebel settlements as that improves your economy for little losses to your military. If I may ask what version of RTW is this? Because some of the shots seem different to my game.

EDIT: Just as a sugestion, could you move all of the pics except the settings pic to a second post so that way when someone loads another page the first post isn't so long?

AAR Coming real soon :P

[This message has been edited by Erzin (edited 02-13-2010 @ 00:13 AM).]

posted 02 July 2009 23:53 EDT (US)     2 / 40  
Easy campaign? Uh well. Spear warbands pwn.

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 03 July 2009 06:43 EDT (US)     3 / 40  
I did easy campaign because this is my first AAR, and I'm a warrior, not an economist. Erzin: I will.

----------------------------
As like in any other Germanic campaign I start with 5 provinces. The Towns and cities I own are Montagiacum, Trier, Batavodurm, Visus Macromanni, and Damme(capital). So here's The situation in 270 BC.

-----------------------------
In all my campaigns I blitz all the rebel adjacent settlements and create a good sized united country right away. So first off, I take all excess troops from a city and put them in a central rendezvous. In this German campaign, i have certain guidelines for the troops i take away from a city and the troops I leave there. I leave at least two spear warbands in a city, plus an assorted other unit (governer's bodyguard, screeching women, skirmishers, axemen, etc.). I will explain this setup later when I use it. I take all the other troops away from the city and make a conqueror army to gain new settlements. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the rendezvous, but it invaded the danish lands and the barely protected town of Bordesholm.

--------------------------------
So, here's the action. I take my light cavalry around the village. I take my spear warbands and mercenaries recruited along the way (infantry) and take his 200-some warbands head on. I don't really get a chance to use my calvary, for fear his guys will turn and whack me with their spears. I let the infantry do the dirty work.

In the end, I'm victorious 241 to 113 kills.

I hope you liked that taste of what's to come. See you next time!

92% of teens have moved on to rap. if you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

[This message has been edited by blader1176 (edited 07-03-2009 @ 06:45 AM).]

posted 03 July 2009 08:37 EDT (US)     4 / 40  
pretty good
posted 03 July 2009 09:33 EDT (US)     5 / 40  
Pew pew pew! More spear warbands on the prowl. Seeing as this is a Germanic AAR I'm sure Terikel will be along soon. I like your style of posting and will be following this. Glad to see so many AARs spring up over the summer. Speaking of AARs... I really should update mine.
posted 03 July 2009 09:40 EDT (US)     6 / 40  
I gota update my aar but as no one is postiing on it the only way I can update it is by editing but I dont think that shows as a new post (when you get the orange folder) so I think that only edorix knows about it hes got a new icon eh cant wait for the next update
posted 03 July 2009 10:17 EDT (US)     7 / 40  
Thanks Dude!

Chapter Two: Edorix's War

So, we left off last chapter with owning the rebels of Bordesholm and enslaving them. Here's the situation in 267 BC:

So, pretty good so far. I'm thinking of invading Dacia so i shift that conquering army eastward. Unfortunately, Britannia has to ruin my plans. An ironic photoshot here, as they say they'll give me a second chance for "trespassing" them, yet they declare war on me and lay seige to Trier.

Now I named this chapter Edorix's War, because i was just reading Edorix's Britannia AAR and about to comment on it when i developed this second chapter. Edorix, i wouldn't reccomend to keep reading, your country is about to be brutalized.
-----------------------

Britannia's captain army of 497 men assaults the city. Remember earlier when i talked about the units i usually leave in a city? This is why i do that.

You'll see that I immediately put my 2 spears in the town center. The town center lies between a Warrior's hold and a muster field. Perfect. Using the phalanx of spear warbands I bottleneck between the two buildings to make a square around the town center. My extra unit is screeching women. I'd rather use skirmishers because screeching women are in mob formation and can't totally fit in the square. oh well.

I think you can figure out what happened.

-----------------------
My faction leader dies of old age immediately after that. A heartbreaker.He probably had a heart attack when he saw the attrocities commited to the Britons.

-----------------------
Germania must move forward. Ricburgis and Captain Walia attack an army of 600 of the British.

Looks like I'll have to fight like a man. Edorix, look away...

-----------------------
What the heck is this!?! Can anybody explain why all the barbarian factions do this?

Anyway, I accept, but i will still attack them.
-----------------------
Looks like Britannia's attacking.

No problemo.

-----------------------
So at the end of this chapter(264 BC), this is the status of Germania:
Allies and Enemies:

Family Status and Overall:

[This message has been edited by blader1176 (edited 07-03-2009 @ 03:27 PM).]

posted 03 July 2009 10:43 EDT (US)     8 / 40  
well destroy the britions all you want the great Juli will avenge them nice update
posted 03 July 2009 15:12 EDT (US)     9 / 40  
Chapter 3:The Britons Brought This Upon Themselves.
A short update here. Britannia Attacks me with two armies and I retreat, then I'm attacked with 3 and must stand my ground.

I stand my ground and mercilessly slay the Britons.

Here's The situation in 263 BC. After I'm victorious in that battle and his reinforcements don't come, I lay seige to Samarobiva. I wait to starve the defenders out, so I kill all the family members. I will have no mercy. This will be slow and painfull for all the trouble they've caused me. The streets will flood with the bodies of men, women, and childeren. They will pay.

--------------------------
So, this is the conclusion of that update. I built several farms and shrines in my cities for economic purposes. My treasury is overflowing, with more than 25K. Maybe next chapter I'll work on more trade.

posted 03 July 2009 16:07 EDT (US)     10 / 40  
hes got a new icon eh cant wait for the next update
I can wait; but I do think it's good. Don't even try to anenge me in your Julii campaign; my people will betray you long before that, as they have been misguided by their AI leaders.
Chapter Two: Edorix's War
I am honoured and touched.
Now I named this chapter Edorix's War, because i was just reading Edorix's Britannia AAR and about to comment on it when i developed this second chapter. Edorix, i wouldn't reccomend to keep reading, your country is about to be brutalized.
You must spare my people, Blader. I beg of you. They have been tricked and misled by the evil Circle of AI, a new religious sect from the future, who use Barrivendos and his sons as puppets through which to rule my people; please spare the civilians, although I understand that the soldiers must die. They don't mind though, honestly; they're heroes, proud to die facing the foe. What end could be better? I'm sure you will make a much better ruler of my people than the Circle of AI.
What the heck is this!?! Can anybody explain why all the barbarian factions do this?

Anyway, I accept, but i will still attack them.
This is the only bit I have a problem with, and it's for the sake of your honour, not my poor misguided people. If thou couldst cast the water of my land, find her disease, and purge it to a sound and pristine health, I would applaud thee to the very echo that should applaud again."

People made this comment on my AAR as well; why only a short campaign? You need only answer once.
The streets will flood with the bodies of men, women, and childeren.
You exterminated them? That is not just a flawed moral move, it is also a big political mistake. Please spare the innocents in future; it's in your own interests. Your treasury will not be overflowing forever. Hey wait - yes it will. You're doing this on easy.

Anyway, good luck to you, Mighty Warlord of Germania!

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 07-03-2009 @ 04:17 PM).]

posted 03 July 2009 16:28 EDT (US)     11 / 40  
The germans are still gona get killed in my campain cause they made an alliace with Gaul the next turn Gaul asked for a ceasefire all it will take is time then I shall destroy gaul and all her allices muhahahahahaha nice campain though
posted 03 July 2009 19:28 EDT (US)     12 / 40  
Nice! Love the flow of AAR's now! (even I might contribute one...)

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 04 July 2009 04:27 EDT (US)     13 / 40  
Good idea Erzin! I have been watching that text in your sig ("AAR Coming soon!") for a while now, but it still hasn't turned into a link.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 07-04-2009 @ 12:57 PM).]

posted 04 July 2009 09:00 EDT (US)     14 / 40  
Chapter 4: War Swap

So , the past two chapters have been about "Edorix's War" in and around Samarobriva. The Britons offer a ceasefire, and I accept. I don't mind slaughtering Briton soldiers, but i need to keep the focus on two nations: Dacia and Scythia.

-----------------------
Well, right after I agree to a ceasefire with the Britons, I shift my conquering army eastward, a little. I also take a 2-star general from Vicus Marcomanni and move him south recruiting some mercenaries and preparing to attack the three provinces that Dacia has so they will no longer trouble my thoughts. I didn't take my conquering army all the way to Dacia, for fear of the lingering army of Gauls near Samarobriva. Later, I'm glad i saw that army.

-----------------------
I have a little time to prepare for the war before i lose Samarobriva to starvation. I shift that conquerering army once again westward as i prepare to battle Gallia's armies in the field. I also take my time to take my spy and get a little experiance. I spy on some of the captains and family members, one with a 4 star command.

But, contrary to my thoughts of Samarobriva being starved out, it's assaulted.

And as if to avenge the Britons, the Gauls slaughter the garrison.

------------------------
After that, my conquering army is victorious in a battle with a family member of his.

I am afraid of fighting a war on two fronts, but it's Dacia. I invade his country and defeat a highly capabable general of Dacia. That general will come back to haunt me.

------------------------
After that, the Gauls offer me a peace treaty and I accept. A wave of relief flows through my body. Just what I need at the right time I need it.

Oh yeah. I forgot. They're Gauls.

So right now I'm pretty much doomed. The one good army I have, the conquering army, is going to be slaughtered.

Once again I forgot, reinforcements never show up. I must be losing my mind. The Gauls fall right into my trap.

Anyway, I'm victorious with only 51 kills.

Immediately after that I'm victorious against that 9 star general, Vezna. I have more mercy on the Dacians than the Gauls, because, I'm the one that started a fight with the Dacians.

------------------------
Anyways, I'm proud to say that Germania is the second best civilization behind Egypt. This chapter I built a few traders and communal farming. Plus, I built a sacred shrine of Donar in my capital so now I can train fanatics.

Now, I'm also allied with the Brutii Romans as well as the Thracians who will undoubtedly help me in my war against Scythia and Dacia, but not Gallia. I can see that the Thracians are already at war with Dacia, so i have a little help.

[This message has been edited by blader1176 (edited 07-04-2009 @ 09:12 AM).]

posted 04 July 2009 13:05 EDT (US)     15 / 40  
Interesting update. I hope you're planning to retake Samarobriva soon; the Belgae deserve a better ruler than the filthy Gauls!

I can see your finances aren't as good as the 25k they used to be. Watch out! I think where I messed up in my Britannia campaign is when I expanded too far, too fast into Gaul. I then found myself fighting a three-front war with nothing but dozens of highly expensive warbands. Watch you don't make the same mistake in Sarmatia (East Germania)! I see your armies comprise a great deal of Barbarian Mercenaries; they're really not worth your money. Try and replace them with your own spearbands.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 07-04-2009 @ 03:30 PM).]

posted 04 July 2009 14:54 EDT (US)     16 / 40  
Thanks for the advice Edorix. I disbanded the warbands in this Chapter, ironic that you say that lol.

Chapter 5: Stalebread

This war I'm having with Gaul is definitely going to be tough. I have 1 stack over there against 4 or 5 half-stacks from Gaul. I'm going to try to single out each army and kill them one by one. The only downside to this is after I defeat an army, the remnants will go and hide in Alesia, so by that logic the more victories i achieve, the harder it will be to take down Alesia. So I attack the Gauls with about the same size army, so the strength is distributed 50:50.

It's an easy victory for me, but wears down my army as usual.

------------------------
Once again, I attack a Gallic army and simulate the battle. Bad idea, as i lost many troops.

As I said before, the remnants of both armies garrisoned themselves in Alesia, making it all the more harder to take.
------------------------
I fight a lesser army of Gauls again over a bridge when they attack me. Easy battle with spear warbands bridge defense, right? Right.

I had it all under control with my spear warbands bottlenecking the bridge, then I tried to manouvre my guys to better defend it and I thought I had time to change the formation a little. I had it like a line covering the bridge and I tried to change it to a V (don't ask me why). The barbarians caught me in the act and attacked (with war cry). I had that under controll, too. I sent my barbarian mercenaries which are usually better but they saw their friends, the spear warbands, running and decided to flee as well. I got them to regroup eventually, but the same thing happened.
------------------------
After that decimation, I use my spy to inflitrate Alesia. I see they have a good garrison and several nice buildings. A good city to get if I could starve them out.

So, pretty much I'm at a high point in the fight against Dacia, but at a stalemate and maybe even a low point in the war with the Gauls. Here's what it looks like at the end of the chapter in 254 B.C.:

posted 04 July 2009 15:35 EDT (US)     17 / 40  
Why is the cahpter called "stalebread"? Shouldn't it be "Stalemate"?
I'm going to try to single out each army and kill them one by one. The only downside to this is after I defeat an army, the remnants will go and hide in Alesia, so by that logic the more victories i achieve, the harder it will be to take down Alesia.
Not really; the Gallic armies are all blocking your movements against Alesia. Since they are there, every victory you gain against them weakens the Gauls more. Yes the survivors flee to Alesia, but there are less enemies in your way.

Another great update.

posted 04 July 2009 17:15 EDT (US)     18 / 40  
yes another great update
posted 05 July 2009 08:29 EDT (US)     19 / 40  
Edroix: It was called Stalebread because I wanted to think fo a better name for a chapter. Like : No, no not stalemate.Wait... What goes stale? AHA! lol.

Chapter 6: The New Conquerors

So last chapter we left off with the conquerors in the west a little bit isolated and anihilated. I disbanded all but three of my mercenary war bands and most of my cavalry. Now that a have an efficient army of mercenaries in the east, I have made an eastern conquering army to capture Dacia and maybe some Scythian territory.

So currently I'm chasing the Dacians back into the north so i can pin them down and destroy them.

It's a perfect setup so I take advantage of the surroundings.

Once again I'm victorious as i chase and pick off the fleeing barbarians!

------------------------
Also, my western conquerors are attacked by Captain Budic. I am obliged to engage them.

Again, they seem to rout my troops without any problem. Must be the "Very Hard" level in battle.

------------------------

After that, I sign a ceasefire with the Gauls. Maybe this one will last longer than the 15-second treaty I had before.. I need to conquer Dacia.

------------------------
I attack the Dacians and the reinforcements to fight over the town.

His reinforcements fail to show up to defend their women and childeren. Cowards. At least the men defending the city fight like men.

Nevertheless, they will still be slaughtered.
The inside of a battering ram. Don't ask me why.

The fight for the town center.

------------------------
After that, I win a 2 victories against that Dacians and beat them back even farther to the east where they will be slaughtered by my ally, Thrace.

------------------------
So, right now I have 19 family members, 28 victories and 6 losses. I own 8 of the 15 provinces I need, and I still have to decimate the Dacians and then the Scythians. I only have 1 province until the Dacians are destroyed.

[This message has been edited by blader1176 (edited 07-05-2009 @ 08:31 AM).]

posted 05 July 2009 11:12 EDT (US)     20 / 40  
And it'sonly 251BC!

What can I say? "Well done" just doesn't cut it.

posted 05 July 2009 16:29 EDT (US)     21 / 40  
Chapter 7: The 4-Year Seige

The invasion of Dacia has gone very well so far, in fact, better than I thought it would be going. I hit a bump in the road last chapter but I need to capture the last city. But then, I'm only half through. I still need to kill off the Scythians, twice as hard. But it might be a good idea to allie with several nations so they can help against Dacia when the time comes. Here, you see me signing an alliance with Britannia (your welcome, Edorix).

Later, I lay seige to Campus Lazyges. This is the last leg of Dacia.

------------------------
Right before I am about to assault the village, I recieve some disturbing news. While I was building my empire, Egypt was growing ever more larger.

Anyway, I assault the last Dacian city.

About halfway throught the battle, everything looks OK. It looked to me like I was going to capture the city but lose a ton of men trying to get it. In this picture, my disrupted spear warband is relentlessly assaulted by the Dacian cavalry. My spear warband flees and then comes back to get the town square.

Something i had never known before was that Falxmen are incredibly strong. I eventually routed them with my spear warband, but when they came back and attacked my Bastarnae, i got owned. I thought Falxmen were about the equivalent to Bastarnae!

My army is eventually destroyed after I rely on Illyrians in hand-to-hand. When i had a campaign once as the Brutii, half my army was Illyrian because I compared their stat's to hastati, and Illyrians weren't as good but almost. After that, I secretly dubbed them "Greek Hastati".

------------------------
Too bad, but I know I have to come back and fight them again. I take another army that i had made to attack rebels directly to the east and the Amazonians as well.

I'm actually victorious in that battle. Sorry there's no pictures.

------------------------
VICTORY!!!! My treasury is overflowing once again, and I'm almost prepared to move on to Scythia. I think I would be secure with 1 more conqueror stack. Next chapter is going to be preparation for the war with Scythia.

posted 05 July 2009 16:45 EDT (US)     22 / 40  
They quite possibly weren't bastarnae that got killed by falxman, probably the more common and weaker "Thracian Mercenaries". They die like Hastati. And I despise the weak Illyrian currs.

Edit: I looked and realised I made no sense.

I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix

[This message has been edited by vampiric canniba (edited 07-06-2009 @ 00:44 AM).]

posted 05 July 2009 17:07 EDT (US)     23 / 40  
I'm fairly certain that Barnastae are better then Falxmen, after all don't they have 2 HP?
posted 05 July 2009 21:24 EDT (US)     24 / 40  
Really, really short update here, yet it encompasses almost 10 turns.

Plus, I'm going to do a FULL CAMPAIGN as some other faction, maybe BI. What do you guys think I should do next?

Chapter 8: Perparation For Anihilation

In the last chapter i was conquering the Dacians. In this chapter I'm conquering my fear of barbaric horse archers.

I skipped a whole bunch of turns to train some 3 conquering armies. Let's take a look at those armies.

And then, relief flows through my body when I find the Thracians actually helped me and that the northwhesternmost Scythian city is barely protected.

[This message has been edited by blader1176 (edited 07-06-2009 @ 03:16 PM).]

posted 06 July 2009 18:33 EDT (US)     25 / 40  
Do WRE next.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » RTW Germania Short Campagin AAR
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames