Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to play M2TW Multiplayer- Online Play and Hotseat
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 13 September 2007 11:58 EDT (US)   
Not sure how to get it working? Try this handy guide, based on your fellow forumer's experiences.

Online Play

This is the classic TW multi experience of playing pitched battles against other players. It seems simple to log in, but for some it can be a nightmare to get working.

1. Run the installation. Easy, you might think but this is where many people go wrong at a certain hurdle- the insert CD-Key section. When it asks for this, you must make sure that you enter the code found at the bottom of the back of the manual you get with M2TW exactly. That means typing letters in capitals, and putting in '0' not 'o', or 'O'. DO NOT USE CAPS LOCK FOR THIS! This thread explains that there's a gamespy bug. Oh, and installing GamespyArcade is a waste of time- the game works perfectly well online without it.

2. Pop on over to GamesspyID.com and register an account. You will use the 'Preferred Nickname', Password and e-mail address to log into online play in M2TW, so if anything else don't forget these 3 things.

3. Make sure your internet's working. Yeah, we know, but anything can happen. Also, if you've an overbearing firewall, you may wish to disable it. Gamespy doesn't have any viruses or spyware, so you'll be OK.

4. From the Main Menu, hit 'Multiplayer', then at the right there is the option for 'Online play'. Enter the nickname, pass and e-mail (And, if you don't want to ever again, hit the 'Remember me' button). Finally, hit the 'Online play' bar at the top- yes, the one with the knotwork decoration. If your computer doesn't freeze up due to connecting up, or if your favourate gerbil doesn't nip one of the wires, you'll be online!

5. Still not working? It's entirely possible that you put the CD key in wrong when you installed. Do not despair!
    Go to Start, then to the little 'Run' function at the side. In the little box type 'regedit', and you'll find the Registry Editor pops up. Open 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', then down to 'SOFTWARE'. Find SEGA, then the M2TW files (Vanilla). Click on the name, not the little + sign. The file you need is called 'CDKey'. Open, then correct your Key. Then try playing again.

Here is a list concerning multiplayer errors.

Go play, and don't forget to drop in on our parties!

Hotseat Campaign

Utilizing Kingdoms' 'hottest', if you'll pardon the pun, feature, you wage epic war against a friend using no more than a corresponding version of Kingdoms, e-mail, and a bit of nifty file placement.

1. Player one sets up the campaign by going to multiplayer, then 'hotseat campaign'. He then highlights all the factions being played, and fiddles with the settings. What settings is up to you, but I suggest you all agree on which version of Kingdoms you are playing- a crusade save will crash an Americas game. I also suggest each player enters a password in at the begginning of his or her turn to stamp out cheating, and send it to a 'password keeper'- the person who set it up or a third party not likely to disappear. (Note- password will probably have to be one that is themed for the game, as you may have to drop out and have someone else replace you, and you don't want them knowing your real passwords.)

2. Play your turn. If you're on a campaign organised on this (or any other) forum, don't forget to take screenshots- or not. All your fellow players will gain a free bit of intelligence. I learnt that the hard way.

3. When you end your turn, and the next person's screen pops up, press Esc and save the game. A little hint is to make this save game name 'unique'- other people may have different methods of naming their games. After saving, exit the game. This is where it gets a little more tricky.

4. Call up your e-mail and attach your savegame file to your e-mail. Not sure where it is? There's two methods here-
    A) Go to your local disk (C:\ for me) and into the program files. Get them to show, and go to SEGA, then the Medieval 2: Total War files (If you've modified where it's installed, go there instead).
    B) Search for them using the phrase 'Medieval 2: Total War'. Copy the address bar into the browse section and go from there.

I personally use B. Bookmark the location for ease of use later.

Whichever method, go to 'mods', then to the relevent campaign. Now, there should be a file named 'saves'. Go in it, find your game, and attach it. Send. You don't need to unpack the files for this.

5. Player 2, it's your turn. Recieve, open and download the file. When the option comes, click 'save'. Locate your Medieval 2: Total War files using the methods above in the browse box, and then into 'mods', the right campaign, then finally the 'saves' file. If there's no 'saves' file, because you haven't saved a campaign yet, don't worry- make one. The game will recognise it.

6. Kick open your game and hit 'Continue Campaign'. It'll load the game you've just put in.

Coming soon once I work out how- How to play M2TW hotseat

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 05-29-2009 @ 06:55 AM).]

Replies:
posted 16 September 2007 09:38 EDT (US)     1 / 29  
Very good. The forum needed something like this.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 17 September 2007 10:54 EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Thank you.
*Staffie pat on the back*

Any questions, put 'em here.

posted 06 October 2007 09:35 EDT (US)     3 / 29  
I think it would be quite helpful if you could add in more details about Hotseat Mode. After reading through it, I still have quite a few questions

Is there any trick to setting up the campaign? Like choosing a second faction, etc?

How and where do you enter the password?

Say, in your current campaign, if EoJ (Teutonic) sieges Gaius's capital, and you end your turn, then he sallies on his turn, how does the battle work? Do you fight it real time on the internet, or is it auto-resolve? Or is EoJ's army controlled by the AI?

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
/\ingjianma/
|____
Proud Member of TWH since 2007 and AoKH since 2004
Seleucid AAR|Sarmatian AAR | Spain AAR
posted 06 October 2007 15:10 EDT (US)     4 / 29  
Is there any trick to setting up the campaign? Like choosing a second faction, etc?
Don't getcha there- could you clarify, please?
How and where do you enter the password?
At the beginning of the turn, a little techie-type screen comes up with details of the hotseat game. You enter it there and hit 'begin turn'
Say, in your current campaign, if EoJ (Teutonic) sieges Gaius's capital, and you end your turn, then he sallies on his turn, how does the battle work? Do you fight it real time on the internet, or is it auto-resolve? Or is EoJ's army controlled by the AI?
Auto resolve- otherwise I'd be wipping Gaius comfertably.

posted 28 November 2007 10:43 EDT (US)     5 / 29  
Updation with a list of error messages.

posted 03 June 2008 15:59 EDT (US)     6 / 29  
Two questions

- How do you choose the second faction when doing hotseat on the same PC. I get to choose the first one but the second is random.

- Are there any "older" people on gamespy M2TW - I don't want to join if its a kindergarten.
posted 02 July 2008 22:24 EDT (US)     7 / 29  
I have tried to logon several times now, with no programs running, I changed the CD key like you said above, and I have an account with Gamespy etc (just to make sure). It's still giving me the "Failed to Logon - Invalid CD Key" Message. Help???

A right-angled triangle has sides a, b, and c, and a<b<c. a+c=49.
Find the area of the triangle.
"It is not the job of Mathematicians to do correct arithmetical operations - that is the job of bank accountants". - Shatunovskiy
posted 03 July 2008 03:12 EDT (US)     8 / 29  
theboyne - if you click on a faction icon in the faction selection at the beginning of the hotseat campaign, it should switch to that faction and the icon will be highlighted. If you then select a different faction, the first one remains highlighted and will be selected for use, as will the second one. If you then click again on the first one it won't change to view that faction page, but will just deselect that faction.

The question I have though, is how do you retain the messages that pop up at the beginning of each turn. In the hotseat game I'm having with a friend, the only message I get is the financial summary, nothing about buildings completed etc. It worked fine when we had a few consecutive goes on the same computer but not when emailing the save file.
posted 03 July 2008 18:08 EDT (US)     9 / 29  
OctavianIV
You can only enter the CD key when you install the game. Are you uninstalling and reinstalling? And if so, are you using Vista?

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 03 July 2008 21:21 EDT (US)     10 / 29  
I'm using XP professional, and re: CD Key change, my impression was from EoJ's post that one could go into the "run" thing (from "Start" menu) and change it there with regedit. Wrong? I'm happy to reinstall if that's what's needed, just I'm right in the middle of a very nice Spanish campaign at the moment and don't want to lose it!

"It is not the job of Mathematicians to do correct arithmetical operations - that is the job of bank accountants". - Shatunovskiy
posted 04 July 2008 04:28 EDT (US)     11 / 29  
You are correct, Octavian- do it. Although, if you must install, you do know you can move the save folder elsewhere, reinstall, then drag it back into the M2TW folder?

posted 05 July 2008 22:55 EDT (US)     12 / 29  
Ahhh - yes... *bangs head against wall in embarrassment* Many thanks.

EDIT: Still not working! I'm afraid I'll have to keep battling the AI for now...

[This message has been edited by OctavianIV (edited 07-06-2008 @ 02:22 AM).]

posted 16 July 2008 06:20 EDT (US)     13 / 29  
How do you use Hamachi to play?

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
posted 08 April 2009 20:01 EDT (US)     14 / 29  
No comment :P

[This message has been edited by Xishko (edited 04-09-2009 @ 05:21 PM).]

posted 08 April 2009 20:15 EDT (US)     15 / 29  
Following the previously, re-edited post...

...no comment.

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

Read my AAR/Story "The Battle of the Bridge" here!

[This message has been edited by Glacier_Girl (edited 04-09-2009 @ 11:06 PM).]

posted 26 April 2009 09:40 EDT (US)     16 / 29  
Now who says that you need kingdoms to play hotseat

There is a function on the regular medieval game

just a little tweaking in the medieval.cfg

u need to add
[multiplayer]
playable = true

in front of the hotseat part
and walllah u can play hotseat on M2TW without kingdoms
posted 16 May 2009 10:45 EDT (US)     17 / 29  
I only have hotseat options under kingdom campaigns, how do i setup normal TW muktiplayer to be hot-seatable?
posted 24 May 2009 11:45 EDT (US)     18 / 29  
Go to: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War then open medieval2.preference.cfg and add in
[multiplayer]
playable = true

bit above the [hotseat] etc. bit.
posted 24 May 2009 15:40 EDT (US)     19 / 29  
When I have time, I'll put that up there. Thanks everyone who's tinkered to find that out

Yes, I can't spare two minutes to edit a post

posted 24 May 2009 15:53 EDT (US)     20 / 29  
*tuts at EoJ* All credit should go to Warlord really. I simply repeated :P
posted 04 July 2009 23:46 EDT (US)     21 / 29  
I wasn'nt going to make a new topic about this so I am posting here.
Me and one of my mates wanted to play the hotseat campaign on M2 Vanilla. I decided I was going to host. I know that my config file did'nt have the right stuff to play hotseat so I copied and pasted the [multiplayer] playable=true. Did'nt work. Tried again after searching and put in some text with [hotseat] and some other stuff underneath. I tried this for 2 hours while searching the internet and still nothing works. I realized my configuration file may be messed up because without any of the hotseat text in it there are only 2 texts in there.[video]widescreen=1[game]
allusers=1 I think I need the whole config file or something cause that doesnt seem usual. I am using vista.
posted 05 July 2009 08:56 EDT (US)     22 / 29  
Just to check, are you asking for someone to post / link to a copy of the whole config file?

There's discussion of the changes you need to get hotseat to work here:
http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=20,7992,0,all

Here's a config file found off of the internet if you need the other bits:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090109161643AAXQwJK

The audio and video parts in particular will be specific to your computer so you may find it less helpful than it could be. Good luck though
posted 05 July 2009 11:23 EDT (US)     23 / 29  
I think its another vista thing because whatever is done to that file has no effect on the game. To make it simple, I told my bud to go install the Retrofit mod seeing as we have kingdoms. Thanks for the help anyways.
posted 05 July 2009 12:10 EDT (US)     24 / 29  
Righto - if it's Vista then you'll have to work with the "Virtual Store" regardless of if it's to find save games or to look at the configuration file.

I think the virtual store is a hidden directory within the users\appsdata sort of line. I'd recommend having a look now as you will need it at some point. If you have difficulties then there's a good explanation somewhere about but I can't remember where, a search on the internet ought to shed more light. Sorry not to be more useful :0)
posted 08 August 2009 20:22 EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Swampy, you were the one who helped me in the same way by giving me the URL to that helpful place.

This should help anybody who has problems with vista.

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?

[This message has been edited by Monty501 (edited 08-08-2009 @ 08:23 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » How to play M2TW Multiplayer- Online Play and Hotseat
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames