Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AAR The Seleucid Empire
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 25 November 2007 08:54 EDT (US)   
After finding Photobucket, I realize that I might be able to start doing AARs again, thanks to their Bulk Uploader. However, my Sarmatian save is corrupted (drats!), which means I will have to give that up. But while doing that campaign, I got a taste of the more difficult aspects of the game, so this time, I decided to challenge myself.

I will be documenting a Seleucid Empire campaign on VH/VH, arguably the most difficult campaign in Vanilla RTW, because of how their territories have been reduced from a realistic number of 20 to 5. They are surrounded by powerful enemies, Egypt, Parthia, Armenia, Pontus, and the Greeks. And to make it even more interesting, I will impose the following rules:
  • I will not ally with anyone
  • I will recarve Alexander's empire. Which means, eliminate Pontus, Egypt, Greece, Macedon, and take control of all he once dominated.
  • I will finish the campaign in 25 years (50 turns)

So without further ado, here we go.

And of course, I'm playing on Huge Unit Scale, as per usual.

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    /\ingjianma/
    |____
    Proud Member of TWH since 2007 and AoKH since 2004
    Seleucid AAR|Sarmatian AAR | Spain AAR

[This message has been edited by xingjianma (edited 05-21-2008 @ 01:05 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 25 November 2007 09:08 EDT (US)     1 / 96  
    Here's the starting position. The Seleucid Empire holds the Babylonian provinces of Alexander's Empire of old, the largest successor kingdom in history. But in vanilla RTW... it's possibly the weakest facion in the campaign along with Numidia. I've got Armenia and Parthia to the north, both Horse Archer factions, very hard to deal with with phalanx based Seleucids; Egyptians to the south, who will veritably turn into a world power if left alone for awhile; Pontus, cutting my empire in 2, also tends to be very annoying with their jav cav and skirmishers.

My philosophy is that the best defense is a good offense. Instead of turtling in to avoid being crushed, I will expand out in all directions before they grow too strong.

Money is really tight at the beginning, but I'm sure things will improve quite a bit in a little while. Babylon is very fertile, and I'm within striking distance of both Greece and the Nile Delta, the biggest 2 moneymakers in the game.

I am attacked by a rebel army outside Halicarnassus in Asia Minor, drawing the garrison out as reinforcements. They have no cavalry, but Cretan Archers and Rhodian Slingers. I hope I can wipe the garrison out completely, leaving the city empty for the taking.

EDIT: Uh-oh, looks like my images are messed up. Also, it's getting late, so the first update will have to wait until next weekend. But stay tuned!

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    /\ingjianma/
    |____

[This message has been edited by xingjianma (edited 11-29-2007 @ 00:06 AM).]

posted 25 November 2007 10:54 EDT (US)     2 / 96  
    Uh-oh, looks like my images are messed up.
    Its because you're using the bulk uploader. SubRosa will probably be in here to explain it shortly.

One thing about the Selucids - Militia Hoplites are your friends.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
    No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
    Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
    Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
    WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
    Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
    posted 25 November 2007 11:06 EDT (US)     3 / 96  
    I always try to expand quickly when i play the Selucids it makes the campain much easier.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
    Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
    "TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
    posted 25 November 2007 11:47 EDT (US)     4 / 96  
    Watch out for Eygpt, use militia hoplites until you get phalanx pikes, upgrade your cavalry ASAP. Yep, that about covers it.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
    posted 25 November 2007 13:03 EDT (US)     5 / 96  
    Take Susa within the first two turns, unless you like fighting HAs.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
    ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
    posted 25 November 2007 16:15 EDT (US)     6 / 96  
    Hi xingjianma. It is good to see you back again.

That is a tough break with the save file for the Sarmatian game. I was looking forward to seeing how long you could hold out against the Huns. I am guessing you only made one save? You might want to consider making multiple regular saves as well as the quicksave. What I started doing was to make a regular save every time I stopped to do an update on the forum. That way if I did have a problem with the save game, I could go back to the last point I updated the AAR.

One thing to watch for when using the Bulk Uploader is that it sets you to a max image size of 1024 x 768 by default. The Bulk Uploader actually resizes your files smaller if you do that (you will note they are 1010 x 758 now). That makes them fuzzy looking. To fix that go set your max image size to 1 mb. The link is just about the buttons for manually uploading images.

It looks to me like you uploaded the same image twice however. Photobucket automatically appends the filename of the second duplicate image with a -1 (then -2, -3 etc...) when you upload images with the same filename.

I am looking forward to the campaign. I have never played the Seleucids before, so it will be interesting to see how they fare. I suspect that you will have to stand on the defensive in some areas and make sallies against besiegers while you go on the offensive elsewhere. I am sure it will be very challenging, especially on VH/VH!

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 11-25-2007 @ 04:17 PM).]

posted 26 November 2007 03:29 EDT (US)     7 / 96  
    Too bad about the Sarmatian AAR Xingjianma, I too was looking foreward to seeing if you could ride out the storm.

Good luck with the Seleucids, you've set some hard goals for yourself. It should be quite fun to watch!
    posted 29 November 2007 03:16 EDT (US)     8 / 96  
    @General_Zavier: Indeed. It seems to me that Levy Pikeman really stink in comparison to Militia Hoplites. I'm pumping them from over half of my cities.

@Ischenous: Of course. The best defence is always offence, especially a good offence.

EoJ: Egypt it top on my list. But what do you mean by upgrade my cavalry? Greek Cavalry suck in comparison to Militia Cavalry. I don't get Cataphracts until Minor City (12000 pop), which will take quite awhile. Unless you are refering to eles? In any case, I've mostly been sticking to General's Bodyguards + Militia Cavalry.

@CaesarVincens: HA is a nightmare for any faction. I plan to wipe out Armenia, Parthia and Scythia ASAP.

@SubRosa: Thanks. Yep, only one save for that. But from now on, I'm going to make a different save every turn Call me paranoid. The challenges are part of the fun.

@Krymzon: Thanks!

The action continues.

Quite an old strategy. I use my Militia Hoplites to lure the enemy hoplies away while I chase down his Rhodian Slingers with my General.

Having finished with those slingers, I have my Militia Hoplites take a stand. A few seconds later, my General literally crashes into the back of the enemy Hoplites.

Hmm, they lasted longer than I expected, taking quite a big bite out of my units. But finally they rout.

See the group of men in the distance in the previous 2 screenshots? That's my Cretan Archers leading the other militia hoplite unit on a wild goose chase, while pumping them with arrows whenever I get the chance.

For some reason I can't find the screenshots I took for the rest of the battle, including my dismantling the reinforcement army, but here's the results. Not bad at all, a Heroic for my first battle. Too bad I lost so many men. And those 42 who survived will probably run back to garrison Halicarnassus.

Meanwhile, in Palestine, I besiege Sidon. The Seleucid Empire and Egypt are officially at war!

Way out east, I attack the Parthian army which wondered out of Susa. I wonder whether HA are easier to take down out in the open of in the narrow alleys of cities.

They have missile superiority, and 3 units of HA. I leave my Militia Cavalry and Peltast to skirmish with the Parthians, while my general drew a big circle around the Parthian lines. Here he catches a unit of Peltasts which wondered too far behind the main Parthian force.

After my General routs those Slingers, I have him push at the Partians from behind while my Militia Cavalry herd those pesky HAs toward my General. Which evetually resulted in... this

While my General was taking care of the HA, I had both my Militia Cavalry units divert their attention to the other Slinger unit. They sure didn't last long.

Over here, the HA rout under pressure from my general.

I then have all my cavalry converge on the last HA unit.

And the rest of them withdraws.

Victory

The next turn, I assault Halicarnassus (where did that Peasant unit come from?)

Too easy, so I autoresolve. And regret it immediately. How in the world do you lose nearly 100 men to only a unit of Peasants?

I assault Sidon.

Militia Hoplites vs. Nubian Spearman. Who is stronger?

I guess the answer is Nubian Spearman. I lost nearly the entire unit before my General broke through, routing the Egyptians on the spot.

Down goes the Egyptian captain.

It never tires you to watch a General chase down enemy skirmishers, does it?

Victory

I exterminate to keep Public Order under control.

7 territories = Largest Faction

Didn't manage to get the battle screen for this next battle, but it was against an Egyptian field army.

The more I play the more I realize: Eastern Infantry/Mercenary really sucks.

Arabian Cavalry looks like mounted Eastern Mercenaries...

I couldn't think os anything to say about this... Too old.

My first glimpse at those famed Egyptian Chariots. They look pretty cool. Too bad they drop like butterflies to Militia Hoplites.

Egyptians are really quite missile heavy. Any idea why they like their skirmishers so much?

Does it seem weird that spears can penetrate wood and not even leave a hole?

Chariot graveyard.

Victory

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    /\ingjianma/
    |____
    posted 29 November 2007 18:51 EDT (US)     9 / 96  
    Looking good so far.

Nice job against the Egyptians there, I bet I couldn't have won that battle.

I really have trouble using skrimishers, and you've used them well in your battles, any tips on how to use them well? It seems like they have too short of range to do damage to anyone except heavy infantry, and even then they have such little attack.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
    posted 29 November 2007 18:57 EDT (US)     10 / 96  
    Really good work against those Parthian Horse Archers. I always have trouble against them when I do not have either horse or foot archers of my own. You trapped them really well though.
    posted 29 November 2007 20:57 EDT (US)     11 / 96  
    I have a anti-chariot strategy that might help you.Of course you simply massacrated those light n00bAs,but when you fight the generals i might come in handy(is this the right expression?).

It is Simple:Put some expendable units forward,and when the chariots get bogged , mob them with any units nearby.Or just shoot the damn bastards.It was tested on Britons.
    posted 30 November 2007 17:48 EDT (US)     12 / 96  
    Put some expendable units forward,and when the chariots get bogged , mob them with any units nearby.Or just shoot the damn bastards.It was tested on Britons.
    He has hoplites. The computer is stupid enough to try and charge their chariots right into the hoplites front.

I don't exactly know why, I guess the computer doesn't think of chariots as cavalry because they never charge cavalry into hoplites.

posted 01 December 2007 04:18 EDT (US)     13 / 96  
    @General_Zavier: Thank you. But what did you mean regarding Skirmishers? I didn't make much use of them at all. Perhaps I misunderstood you?

Oh, and the computer often charges cavalry into the front of phalanxes, at least for me. Just in this campaign, I've had Eastern Generals and Militia Cavalry charge them head on without any reason.

@SubRosa: It's really difficult, taking down HA without ones of your own, but I find using Generals and Militia Cavalry to trap them seems to be a pretty good alternative.

@Danilh: Well, your idea is a good one, but using hoplites works for me. Chariots barely last 2 seconds against even militia hoplites.

Picking up where we left off.

I didn't remember at the time, but the reinforcements from the last battle was the garrison of Jerusalem. So I capture the city. Exterminate.

Susa has been under siege for a few turns now. I didn't dare to attack because of their HA, but waited for them to sally, hoping to catch those HA out in the open.

Finally, the turn before the city automatically surrenders, the Parthians sally.

After the rams brought the gate down, my general was the first in. For some reason this unit of Eastern Infantry charged and then ran away. Of course they didn't last long.

Did this HA get their Skirmish Mode turned off? I didn't even attempt to run away when I charged with my Militia Cavalry.

This is why I don't really like sieges. Maybe it's because I suck, but every time it seems that the thing turns into a big brawl in an alley. And my hoplites are always too slow to be of much use.

Parthian General falls.

Unfortunately, all of the men engaged decided to rout, let by my brave general. Good thing my militia hoplites got here to hold the thing together, or things could have turned nasty.

I win, but would you look at that? The General routed off the map!

I exterminate, as usual.

Something to brag about.

I had quite a bit of money by this time, and I never bribed anything before. Couldn't resist.

I assault Pergamum. Nice odds.

For some reason, I have no screenshots of that battle, nor the results. This is weird...

I exterminate for Public Order, since I can't afford my army to babysit a city.

And then, next turn.....

Fortunately, I had an army nearby, so I just march in again. I guess the Egyptians must have too much gold on their hands.

Small battle, nothing to it. Once again my hoplites don't see any action.

A new general. Very nice. 3 Command Stars at the age of 17. He can make a great General someday.

I didn't get any shots, but there was a big Parthian army which marched south through the mountains. 7 HA! No way I can handle that. Plus, I get those 2 shiny Cataphract units, so I agree.

Pontus laid siege to Tarsus with an army of... skirmishers?

I lost a lot more than I expected. General's Bodyguards are a lot weaker than Warlords in BI.

I attack an Egyptian field army, drawing another one in as reinforcements. But I'm not worried at all. There's no way the second army makes it.

The Egyptians do love their Skirmishers, don't they? And they love even more to throw them away!

I then have both Generals charge into the mass of Bowmen, Skirmishers and Slingers. How in the world did I lose that many bodyguards?

Turns out none of the other units saw much action.

I seem to remember reading somewhere the Byzantium was a very important city, both strategically and econmically. So I ferry across the straight and attack.

It basically turns into a mob at the Plaza. Of course I win.

For once I occupy.

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    /\ingjianma/
    |____

[This message has been edited by xingjianma (edited 12-01-2007 @ 04:20 AM).]

posted 01 December 2007 04:44 EDT (US)     14 / 96  
    Is that RTW version 1.5?

Because the bribing look different.

Kind Regards
    Willwoms

The walls shake at the noise of the horses, and of the wheels, and of the chariots
    (¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]

How come I destroyed all of you then?
    °o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.0
    posted 01 December 2007 08:58 EDT (US)     15 / 96  
    Yes, that is indeed RTW 1.5. I've never played the earlier versions though.

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    /\ingjianma/
    |____
    posted 01 December 2007 13:10 EDT (US)     16 / 96  
    Byzantium gets some decent trading but more importantly you control the black sea area. Good job so far, but don't go overboard with the bribing

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
    posted 01 December 2007 13:50 EDT (US)     17 / 96  
    I think it's great you captured Byzantium and as EoJ don't bribe too much, focus in churning out troops and smashing those Egyptians.

It's weird they keep fielding skirmishing armies. In my Seleucid campaign it was Nubian and Nile spearman all the way.
    posted 01 December 2007 13:58 EDT (US)     18 / 96  
    Is that RTW version 1.5?

Because the bribing look different.
    If it is just the text you mean, exactly what is displayed varies according to the Culture of the ambassador.
    posted 01 December 2007 15:58 EDT (US)     19 / 96  
    Actually, I think he means how it said something like, "We like this better: Single payment X/Bribe" Normally, it wouldn't have the bribe part there.

posted 01 December 2007 16:53 EDT (US)     20 / 96  
    posted 02 December 2007 05:55 EDT (US)     21 / 96  
    @EoJ & Legion of Hell: Thanks for the reminder. It was just the 7 HA that drove me overboard. But I promise, we won't be seeing that many of them in a single army for a long time.

@SubRosa: Certainly. The thing is, I'm pretty far behind with this AAR. It's already 261 BC in the campaign.

The next update will most likely have to wait until next weekend. Sorry for the delay.

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    /\ingjianma/
    |____
    posted 02 December 2007 13:44 EDT (US)     22 / 96  
    Why don't you just take out Armenia and Pontus? You have them surrounded, Armenia especially. Otherwise, definitely, good job. You've sent Parthia packing, Armenia's at the end, Pontus is packed in, and Egypt's eaten up, mostly.

posted 09 December 2007 08:25 EDT (US)     23 / 96  
    They have been taken out, but I won't spoil the surprise for you just yet.

Back to the action.

A force from Antioch relieves the siege of Hatra.

It's the same as before-using my militia cavalry and General to chase down enemy HA. The only difference... we're evenly matched this time.

Something to prove General_Zavier wrong. Eastern General charged right into the front of my phalanx.

Surprisingly, I lost that fight. I wouldn't have expected anything else in BI, with the ultra powerful bodyguards, but in RTW as well?

Oh well, at least my own General is more than a match for HA. Down goes the second one.

Uh oh. It looks like my militia cavalry havge had enough. One has already routed, with the second one on the way.

The general pulls the same trick again, charging my militia hoplites head on.

While that is going on, my general finally catches up with that annoying HA unit that has routed all 3 of my militia cavalry units.

And they rout.

The General also routs. Thats them in the distance

Victory, but costly.

Next turn...

I bet those Egyptian diplomats had something to do with it. Fortunately it was only a militia hoplite unit AFAIK.
    I'm attacked by a big Egyptian army.

I send my General crashing straight into the Peasants on his flanks. I'm helping them fly!

Those Nubian Spearman really don't know what's good for them. They keeping exposing their back to me while engaging my hoplites!

After I mop up the rest of their spare parts, I move in on the Egyptian general.

And away they go.

Down goes the general.

Victory.

I attack a Pontus army compromising entirely missiles.

I mob their Pontus Light Cav with my own cavalry.

After that, it's just skirmishers left. I send my General crashing into them

They sure didn't last long.

Victory.

Another puny Armenian force besieges Hatra. I sally

I managed to catch the Armenian general's attention with all my shiny phalanxes, and I mobbed his half depleted HA unit with my own cav.

And they charge me over here.

I hit them from them back.

Instant rout.

Scratch one general.

Victory.

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    /\ingjianma/
    |____

[This message has been edited by Xingjianma (edited 03-04-2012 @ 01:00 PM).]

posted 09 December 2007 12:50 EDT (US)     24 / 96  
    Rolling along well I see. I still say its strange because ai controlled cavalry always at least attempts to get around my flank before charging into my hoplites.

posted 11 December 2007 16:13 EDT (US)     25 / 96  
    I often have them charge directly into my heavy infantry as well. Usually it is the Generals who do it, but sometimes regular cavalry too. Granted, I always put my archers or slingers in front of my heavy foot. So I am sure the enemy cavalry is often charging at them. But when the light infantry run back through the heavy, the cavalry usually continues headlong into my spears.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
    Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » AAR The Seleucid Empire
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Total War Heaven | HeavenGames