Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Safeguarding of Samarobrivia: A British Defense
posted 03 November 2008 23:25 EDT (US)   
Greetings to all. This will be my first documented campaign. I have recently installed RTR on my laptop and after beating a Short E/E Julii Campaign in two hours, I managed to unlock all factions so I could really begin to play. I have chosen to record and write on a British Defensive focusing mainly on the town of Samarobrivia and the surrounding countryside.

I am playing on VH/H with no AI assistance whatsoever. I have also laid down a number of personal rules which I will abide by. No mods are used
1. I will abstain from conquering or moving troops through any enemy territory, except for Hibernia (Tara) and any British lands occupied by the enemy.
2. Defeat will not be marked if Samarobrivia is taken, it will need to be retaken.
3. I will not use any cheats except to gain full visibilty of the map so the conquests of my enemies can be seen by viewers.

[THE STRUCTURE OF THIS DOCUMENTED CAMPAIGN FOLLOWS A PATTERN OF RESPONSES, PROSE, PICTURE, DESCRIPTION OF PICTURE/MORE PROSE etc.]

Now it is time to put my skill to the test.

The Year is 270 A.D.; the painted tribes of Britain have secured a foothold in Western Europe. Under the leadership of the cunning Barrivendos, the British are excessively blessed with a stable island to which they can fear no foreign intrusion and a strong horde that can pose a threat to any who would dare such a feat.

^^^^^^^
Samarobriva has long stood as a symbol of British power. This town is Britain's only true holding in continental Europe and its frontline defense from invasion. The Sons of Barrivendos are benevolent me; they have no dreams of conquest and expansion. But when threatened by death and destruction, the warriors of Brittania shall rise and become savage wolves in battle, the most fearsome of enemies. Belenus, heir to the throne, is such a wolf.

^^^^^^^
This humble commander has been called upon to serve the town of Samarobrivia as its acting commander and will likely lead Brittania throughout most of its existence, being at the forefront of its defense. The British have consolidated their forces in Samarobrivia while leaving a small force in Britain. Temples and roads are being built and trade will spring forth to support the efforts on the southern front. But it is in Britain itself where conflict strikes first!!

^^^^^
Rebels under the command of rogue chariot General Gwenddola have risen up against British Rule. Barrivendos sees to the matter personally and engages him in the midst of winter. The outcome appears to be in the King's favor but the enemy's warbands outnumber the British infantry.

^^^^
Barrivendos' massive 115 man chariot bodyguard smash into a loose rebel formation scattering the troops.

^^^^^^
The Rebel line breaks under the force of the King's Heavy Chariots and the warbands and the pummeling hail of stones from our slingers. They are routed and crushhed beneath the wheels of our men.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Our Druids stand above the wreckages of the traitorous Gwenddolau's chariots. His body lies amongst the ramshackle carnage. The rebels know the price of defiance. The homefront is secured and Barrivendos and company move to reinforce the Southern Frontier.

265 A.D.
Five years have passed since the start of the Safeguarding Initiative. Gaul and Germania are hibernating powers waiting to strike forth. We have secured maps of their lands and have conversed trade agreements with our neighbors and the roman dogs to the far south. Carthage is under attack by the Roman legions.

^^^^^^
Without battle for the past 5 years, men in Samarobrivia have revolted under the crazed and bloodthirsty captain, Ambiorix. Barrivendos and the Samarobrivian field force attempt to squash the insurgents. Unfortunately these despicable rebels have two battilions of Naked Fanatics, respected warriors amongst the Barbaricum, and druids of their own. With larger numbers the odds are in our favor.

^^^^^
The Secondary General of the King's Army surveys the massive host assembled from atop a watchtower hill. The battle shall be swift, bloody and decisive.

^^^^^^
The so called Fearsome Naked Fanatics seethe forth against the tides of warbands. They cause some damage but are routed swiftly by chariot attacks.

^^^^^^
Their Peasants flee like startled goats before our horrifying Woad Raiders. Behind them the field is strewn with the dead, dying, and fleeing masses of the enemy.

^^^^^^
The victory was clear but not without losses to the Fanatic's blade. Samarobriva has been stabilized like the motherland before it. Now Britannia looks towards its approaching neighbors and with them: Total War....

[This message has been edited by IncendiaryPiggy (edited 11-12-2008 @ 05:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04 November 2008 02:19 EDT (US)     1 / 24  
You have the years wrong, there is a difference between AD 270 and 270 BC.

People who tend to read AARs will have more to say.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 04 November 2008 09:06 EDT (US)     2 / 24  
I was confused for a second, and then I realised that RTR was a mistype of RTW.

It seems those rebel armies are pretty big for a just started campaign. It might just be because of the huge unit size, though they are almost as large as your own armies.

I think you should allow yourself to go over the enemy border if necessary, just not to conquer.
posted 04 November 2008 10:57 EDT (US)     3 / 24  
Wahay, a Briton AAR at long last! Will we be seeing lots of ambushes? I've found the Britons to be exceptionally good at them, and there's quite a lot of woodland around the dark and twisting tracks leading to Samarobriva...
posted 04 November 2008 11:51 EDT (US)     4 / 24  
I haven't seen a defensive British campaign before, it'll be interesting to see how it goes, good luck.

"I think the lesson here is: It doesn't matter where you're from, as long as we're all the same religion." - Peter Griffin

Danish Dreams
posted 05 November 2008 00:25 EDT (US)     5 / 24  
Dear Andalus,
I apologize for any confusion, I wrote this rather fast. As for crossing my borders, I will avoid that unless it is necessary and crucial to my success. And yes, the rebels were quite powerful for just 5 years in.

ShieldWall- You will see them dont worry. However, I like using chariots on open fields. They are easier to manage.

I was busy watching the election results so my report from the front is short. I still need to figure out thumbnails >

264 B.C.

WAR!!! The Gallic Hordes move north from all corners of Alpine Europe. From the mountains these scurvy men descend for the slaughter. They can not comprehend the horror that will await them in the tangled wilderness of Samarobrivia!!

Meanwhile, our forces draw out the Hibernians from Tara and challenge these brave warriors to combat. Our chariots smash them from behind as Woad warriors hack apart their frontal line.

Our domintation is absolute: A Heroic Victory.
Barrivendos calls for these victorious warriors to reinforce the southern front.

Tara should help pull the British Economy to a more sustainable level. We enslave the hostile wretches and transport these people to strenghten our cities. Samarobrivia grows as a result.

A Gaul raiding party of two warbands and a skirmisher battilion are attacked by the King's army. Slingers let loose their deadly stones into the fray.

The forest's floor is shaking from the feet of thousands of blue warriors as they maul the impudent Gallic force.

As the enemy are broken, King Barrivendos addresses the multitudes, who celebrate the victory, warning them that there are far more battles to come.

The Britannic attack was absolute. Our superior numbers crushed the enemy.

A larger army of Gallic warbands is swarmed by the Brittanic warriors. They rout as the chariots approach!

A decisive victory. A Druid is sent sprawling skyward by the chariots. Gaul has received our message and it is clear.

Gaul is enraged by their recent defeats. Their wayward warbands have combined into one singular host. This collosal army enters Samarobrivia as Barrivendos moves to meet it upon the open field of war....

As for the rest of the world:
Carthage is weaking, Spain is consolidating the peninsula, Egypt is on the rise, Macedon is expanding rapidly through rebel territory, and the romans have yet to move beyond their borders.

[This message has been edited by IncendiaryPiggy (edited 11-13-2008 @ 10:13 PM).]

posted 05 November 2008 11:04 EDT (US)     6 / 24  
I still need to figure out thumbnails
Look at the sticky here and scrol down to So how do I put pictures in it?. In there is the information needed for thumbnails.

Good work with using your chariots for flanking attacks there. This is how they are best employed. Don't forget to make the most of your Light Chariots, though. By keeping your main force back, you can win battles with barely any losses by clever use of Light Chariots' arrows.
posted 05 November 2008 19:04 EDT (US)     7 / 24  
Oh yes chariot archers are great, in an unlocked rebel campaign I used the amazon war chariots alone as a unit and fired upon the enemy until they routed. The british light chariots are basically the HA's of the west. I plan to use them alot in my upcoming full stack on full stack battle with gaul.
posted 07 November 2008 12:36 EDT (US)     8 / 24  
Superb - woad warriors ambushing in woodland, you really don't want to be on the other end of that!
posted 12 November 2008 02:50 EDT (US)     9 / 24  
Rule Britons!
Theres simply nothing better than a good Rome TW defensive campaign as the Britons. Did you get the idea from Sub Rosa's scythia defensive campaign? If not, I strongly suggest you read it. In fact, I do this sort of thing a lot - with the stipulation that your fleets can go wherever you like. What do you think of that? British pirate fleets in the Mediterranean, sinking innocent greek traders...

LATER

By the way, good job on replacing those hyperlinks.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 11-15-2008 @ 06:36 AM).]

posted 21 November 2008 22:22 EDT (US)     10 / 24  
Edorix- Yes I did read Subrosa's Scythia campaign, wonderful stuff, but I was also inspired by Severus's German Defensive. I can imagine I will be using my fleets later on if my economy permits, things have been really tight financially.

I apologize for having delayed this so long, I am involved in a number of really engaging campaigns including Britannia Norway in Kingdoms, HRE vs. Mongols in M2TW and several other small fun campaigns in RTW. What I bring to you tonight is only a single battler, but a massive one at that. NOTE: IF THERE ARE BOXES WITH "X"s in them, CLICK ON THEM, THEY WILL OPEN UP THE FULL IMAGES NONETHELESS!!

The Winter of 261 B.C.

Angered by their most recent losses, the Gauls have pushed deep into Samarobrivia driven by blind rage and aggression. They have assembled an army equal in size to the British King's Horde under the brutal command of the dreaded Vellocatus of Dubis. The two hosts meet on the open field of battle.

Over 3,000 gauls charge forward, their general far ahead of his warbands. Our British forces respond in kind with volleys of rock and arrow and proud warcrys as the enemy closens. This is just a portion of the battle.

Heavy Chariots crash through the Gallic Flanks.

The battlefield was a sea of sheilds and spears and corpses. Banners clouted the very skies.

King Barrivendos himself swings behind the Gallic line and assaults their warhounds with his chariots. The result is a crippling blow to the Gaul Army. Their General is seen alone in the fray and upon having his horse cut down by our scythed british wheels, his body is trampled and crushed by our chariots. His men begin to rout in large numbers.

The very earth shakes at the British charge.

Only small pockets of Gaul routers make it past the swathes of our woad covered warriors.

This victory will be one for the bards, an utter defeat for the Gauls. But a victory not without losses. Two hundred british men died that day but not before over 2,800 Gauls met their doom.

The Gauls are regrouping after their defeat. From the South and the West these tribesmen approach. From the East, the Germans approach in frighteningly large numbers. A raiding patrol is sighted.. Belenus, having received a famous warrior, a druid and other inspirational men from his aging father, Barrivendos, prepares for a possible ambush...
posted 22 November 2008 00:26 EDT (US)     11 / 24  
Good work with this. Hopefully you can go all the way to 14AD.

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 22 November 2008 15:59 EDT (US)     12 / 24  
Excellent stuff. Keep it up! I don't recall seeing a better laid-out AAR. Rule Britannia!

By the way, do you mind if I borrow some of your excellent pictures? I won't take 'em if you say I can't.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 11-22-2008 @ 04:01 PM).]

posted 23 November 2008 09:55 EDT (US)     13 / 24  
Erzin- 14 A.D. will be awesome, this is going to be a long slow AAR so it could very well span a whole year of posting on this forum.

Edorix- Thanks alot, I dont consider myself amongst the greats (Subrosa, Severus, and many others) I probably take a lot more losses then them. You can have my pictures, I try to go for the artsy shot.
posted 23 November 2008 12:34 EDT (US)     14 / 24  
Is this campaign really on VH?
I mean to say, you managed to sail your ships to Deva and cross to Tara without being attacked by pirates. That's pretty lucky for a VH camapign, or even H. I always play Hard/Hard, and my ships never reach Deva intact when I send them there to attack Tara.

posted 23 November 2008 13:13 EDT (US)     15 / 24  
Yes the campaign is VH, and I have been lucky with pirates. On the other hand, Gaul has sent all its forces in my direction as well as Germania so the AI are really aggressive.
posted 24 November 2008 06:29 EDT (US)     16 / 24  
Im trying to do a defensive campaign as Britannia myself, but the gauls just keep besieging Samarobriva with full-stacks and i dont have time to fully retrain all my troops. Should i abandon it?

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 12-11-2008 @ 02:21 PM).]

posted 24 November 2008 12:48 EDT (US)     17 / 24  
If you can't defend Samarobriva then you could abandon it and then retake it once the Gauls have gone elsewhere. It would damage your economy though. I think the best way to defend Samarobriva is to fight in the open. There's a lot of woodland around it, perfect for ambushing reckless Gauls - any army with a general, light chariots, chosen swords, head hurlers and woad warriors should be able to destroy an ambushed army quite cheaply. If you're outnumbered in the ambush, don't try to hit all the Gauls at once, take advantage of the fact that they're spread out in a very very long thin line - aim to hit each unit from two sides simultaneously, any holdups then charge the chariots in at them - that'll make them run! The Gauls in this area should collapse quickly, easily before their friends further along the column can get back to help. But as half their army has been routed at this point, you can just run your army en masse down the line and quickly roll up the whole lot of them.

As for getting your ships to Tara, you have to build watchtowers and only move out of harbour once the pirates are east of you or too far around the west coast of Gaul and you know they can't catch up in time. Race like hell for Ireland and take that army (waiting safely in Wales) across the sea before they catch up. And if they do catch up, just keep sailing around and around Ireland in circles until they get bored and go away.....

[This message has been edited by ShieldWall (edited 11-24-2008 @ 12:51 PM).]

posted 26 November 2008 08:23 EDT (US)     18 / 24  
ShieldWall - Actually, I'm okay now. I fought the Gauls to a standstill and they sued for peace. I have two strong armies waiting in ambush now near the Gallic border, but I fear the Germans, and they are Gallic allies. I'm having trouble with pirates now as well, and I cannot afford to lose the maritime trade route between Londinium and Samarobriva; when I do, their collective income drops by more than 1500 denarii per turn!
Although I could probably afford to abandon Samarobriva. My finances are not a problem. I am the richest faction, with 65,000 denarii.
About your fleet thing? I can usually get my boats around the Island very quickly, even if I am attacked by pirates. Some men always get through, and that's always enough.

IncendiaryPiggy - Sorry. I didn't mean to steal your thread. I've stopped now.

(LATER) BUT I MIGHT START AGAIN IF YOU DON'T HURRY UP AND PUBLISH MORE STUFF!

(EVEN LATER) I'M GETTING RELLY TIRED OF WAITING HERE!

Sorry, everyone. Must have patience, must have patience, must.......

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 12-17-2008 @ 02:45 AM).]

posted 18 December 2008 22:15 EDT (US)     19 / 24  
dude calm down man, its like watching someone with withdrawal symptoms,I'll be posting soon enough. Big things are coming though, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
posted 19 December 2008 12:54 EDT (US)     20 / 24  
I was kidding.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-10-2010 @ 03:29 AM).]

posted 19 December 2008 17:08 EDT (US)     21 / 24  
Hope to see many more updates; I really like defensive AAR's! Also, you may wish to tidy up your sig by hyperlinking words like I have done below. If you want click on the edit button on my post, copy the code and paste it in your sig. You'll just have to add colour though.

AI Domination Test
Safegurading of Samabrovia: A british Defnsive AAR
REVOLUTION: A Rebel AAR
Mongol Wall

Much neater than posting the url on its own.

AAR Coming real soon :P

[This message has been edited by Erzin (edited 12-19-2008 @ 05:09 PM).]

posted 19 December 2008 20:46 EDT (US)     22 / 24  
thanks a lot i will get on that, and the next screen shot post. I've been a little preoccupied, but soon I will be pumping out new chapters like there's no tomorrow.
posted 08 January 2009 11:42 EDT (US)     23 / 24  
I'm getting withdrawal symptoms again here too!

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 01-08-2009 @ 11:42 AM).]

posted 08 January 2009 20:14 EDT (US)     24 / 24  
My computer crashed that had this campaign on it, I will have to start a new defensive. I will post once I am significantly advanced in it, when things are more interesting. Sorry about the inconveinance. The Rebel AAR is still kicking so you can expect more posts there
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » The Safeguarding of Samarobrivia: A British Defense
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames