You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Barbarian Invasion Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Deserting Faction Leader!!
posted 10 January 2006 19:49 EDT (US)   
I have been playing with the ERE for a few months now and just like with RTW, I aim to conguer the whole map...it is going relatively well (only 2-3 areas left), apart from the fact that every time I "build up" one of my generals, he defects pretty much at his peak...the first time it happened with a general I "bought" just when he had become an expert "night fighter" and "eagle collector" with 10 stars, having conquered all of Italy and Central Europe...the second time it happened with my faction heir (!)who conquered all of North Africa and Spain...and finally it has happened with my faction leader (!!) after having conquered Eastern Europe...Their loyalty -which was never much to start with- just decreased as their stars, traits and retinue increased!

So I have ended up with my elite forces and best general against me 3 times, as the Eastern Empire Rebels...

Any ideas why this is happening and if it is possible to avoid it?

Thanks for the help.

Replies:
posted 11 January 2006 02:48 EDT (US)     1 / 9  
It's a known bug, and the first BI patch should fix it.
posted 11 January 2006 02:55 EDT (US)     2 / 9  
The defecting faction leader; this is cured in the latest BI patch according the read me.
Generals are defecting because they think they can be emperor themselves, just like real Roman history. This is a feature of the game so you have to be cautious with your generals. If I have one who is getting to many stars I park him next to the army he has to lead. A general doesn't defect without his troops. If the general is needed for battle he is rejoined with the army and separated again after the battle.

Friesian

posted 11 January 2006 04:30 EDT (US)     3 / 9  
The problem of defecting faction leaders was fixed in patch 1.6. Generals will tend to defect more often if they think they would make a better Emperor than the current holder. This is linked to the number of battles that they have won, so that as command ability improves, so does the feeling that you'd look really good sitting on the throne!

----

Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

posted 11 January 2006 05:19 EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Here comes the weird bit guys! My faxtion leader defected after my faction heir defected and after one of my cities rebelled and produced a general...being third in the ranks, my faction leader is now just a family member of the rebels!!

I have also given into "parking" my generals next to the troops, though I can't say I like it too much...sometimes, and depending on the angle from which you are attacked, he may or may not join as reinforcements and may or may not benefit in terms of retinue and command...

How do I get the patches?

Thanks again.

posted 11 January 2006 07:56 EDT (US)     5 / 9  
Thanks for posting, Mike.

Quote:

the second time it happened with my faction heir (!)who conquered all of North Africa and Spain

It seems as though he was in need of a short-term break from your rule, mercurius.

Quote:

How do I get the patches?

They are downloadable on the official site, at http://www.totalwar.com.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 01-11-2006 @ 07:59 AM).]

posted 11 January 2006 11:06 EDT (US)     6 / 9  
Thanks guys, I am downloading the patch (1.6) ad becoming increasingly interested in the on-line game...I have not explored it at all, so any advice (for example, what are "spammers") on where to start would be appreciated...

These games are taking up so much of my time but they are sooo good!

posted 11 January 2006 11:34 EDT (US)     7 / 9  
Good, the online community could use more people. My advice would be to be considerate and polite. Stay off your caps lock button and don't get cocky. You'll soon find out about a lot of people that act exactly like that and if you are smart, you'll stay away from them.

You'll also find a lot of players that are good sports and will show you a thing or two if you ask them.

I believe spammers are considered people who play using either all infantry armies or all cavalry armies.

posted 12 January 2006 12:07 EDT (US)     8 / 9  
Here is some basic info, including installs and patch downloads...

USEFUL LINKS:
Technical Index, including how to improve RTW gameplay & system optimization, etc.
Patching to 1.5, with links.
DOWNLOAD Patch 1.3, 1.5, 1.6
README for Patch 1.5/1.6
export_descr_buildings.txt - (Epona/Roman fix: only for Patch 1.5 & 1.6!) this file must be placed in the RTW Data directory (e.g., c:\Program Files\Rome - Total War\data).
Here is Patch 1.2
Manually uninstall RTW
Desktop Install RTW 1.0
Install multiple versions of RTW in one drive.
Dual-core setup & solution (AMD64 X2, e.g.).

TASK ACCOMPLISHMENT APPROXIMATIONS:

TASK                       :  TIME (Typical)
========================== ==============================================
Auto-uninstall RTW : about 3 minutes.
Manually uninstall RTW : over 1 hour.
CD-based RTW 1.0 install : about 20 minutes.
Desktop Install RTW 1.0 : about 10 minutes (after 3 CD contents copied).
Install Patch 1.3 : less than 30 seconds.
Install Patch 1.5 : less than 5 seconds.
Install Epona Roman Fix : about 30 seconds (locate DATA directory).
posted 12 January 2006 12:11 EDT (US)     9 / 9  
This thread now Indexed as:

Deserting Faction Leader!! [BI, defecting, better, emperor, bugfix, 1.6, Fishpants]: #3

Total War Heaven » Forums » Barbarian Invasion Discussion » Deserting Faction Leader!!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames