Night 0

Player Status
3. scragins (Terikel Grayhair; Sane Cop) - Killed Night 0
5. Excelsior (Yeebaagooon; Naïve Cop) - Killed Night 1
4. Herr Heir (uniqueman101; Serial Killer) - Lynched Day 2
1. Ashrzr (Rotaretilbo; Paranoid Cop) - Victorious
2. WRP (NewwaveofRnBfisk; Insane Cop) - Victorious

Rules
  • This game will be Open Setup. It is following the Dethy model, albeit without the Cop Head Start.
  • This game will be Closed Communication. You may not discuss this game outside of the game thread or at night unless otherwise specified in your Role PM.
  • Do not, under any circumstances, reveal any information to any player regarding this game if you are no longer alive.
    There will be no restrictions on role claiming or character claiming.
  • Do not quote emails from me; paraphrase. And no, replacing second-person pronouns with first-person pronouns does not count as paraphrasing. Any attempt to analyze the specific wording of Private Messages from me will result in modkill.
  • Do not edit your posts; double post if necessary. I reserve the right to modkill any player that edits a post.
  • This game will be a Night start.
  • There will be no hard deadline on the length of Day. However, if activity dies down, I reserve the right to impose a hard deadline at my discretion.
  • Night will be approximately 48 hours long. However, if all actions are sent in before the deadline, I reserve the right to start Day early. Moreover, I reserve the right to extend Night for any reason I deem fit.
  • Vote towards a lynch by typing Vote: [name], where [name] is the name of the player you are voting for. To change your vote, type Unvote and then Vote: [newname], where [newname] is the name of the player you are changing your vote to. I will ignore attempts to change one's vote if one has not first unvoted, as specified here.
  • Once a majority vote has been reached, Day will end and the lynch will take place. If a majority vote is not reached before any deadline that has been set, Day will end with no lynch occurring, even if a majority is then achieved between the end of the deadline and my posting the no lynch.
  • If you believe that I have made a mistake, please address the issue with me via email via lollersquirrelz[at]gmail[dot]com. Save any comments or complaints regarding either my behavior as a host or the overall balance/setup of the game for after the game.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon

[This message has been edited by Rotaretilbo (edited 06-01-2015 @ 09:39 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-27-15 10:00 PM CT (US)     1 / 53  
The sun rose and set, as it always had. How many days had it
been, now? The lake was barren, long abandoned. Days and weeks
and months ticked by. Sure, people drove by, but only to check
that it was still dry. The drought seemed to drag on forever.

Then, something changed. The lake could hear the light
screeching of brake pads that could use changing. A bulky
white car somewhat resembling a marshmallow had pulled up and
stopped at the lake. A small speaker on top of the car began
playing on loop, "Free passports, free drivers licenses, step
right up!"

No rain fell, but people came anyway. The self-driving car and
its loop were a nuisance, and even a dried up lake deserved
better. They just had to figure out who had sent it.

It is Night 0.
Day 1 will begin in 48 hours.
Please email all actions to lollersquirrelz[at]gmail[dot]com.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
posted 04-30-15 06:53 PM CT (US)     2 / 53  
They set about, circling the dry lake, looking for clues, while
the car droned on about fake passports. The sun set, but they
would not be discouraged by the dark. However, when the sun rose
once more, they found themselves one fewer in number. There
could only be one answer: one of them was the killer. One of
them sent that awful car with its advertising.

Terikel Grayhair (scragins), a ??? Cop, has been killed.
It is Day 1.
There are 4 of you, so it is 3 to lynch.

posted 04-30-15 07:17 PM CT (US)     3 / 53  
Hmm, spambot mafia? That means I can spam!

spamspamspam

In other news, Ash is guilty! Speak now, Ash, or I will take you to court and get you a place in the state prison for the rest of your miserable life!

As per the dethy protocol, let us reveal our results.

AoMH retired Scenario designer
Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
posted 04-30-15 07:32 PM CT (US)     4 / 53  
Well, good game, I guess.
posted 05-01-15 00:18 AM CT (US)     5 / 53  
Guilty on Herr. The plot thickens.

EE forever
posted 05-01-15 02:01 PM CT (US)     6 / 53  
Innocent on Ash.

"It looks like a huge shark just took a bite out of Excelsior's ass"-Colonel Kyle Riggs, Star Force: Storm Assault
posted 05-01-15 03:20 PM CT (US)     7 / 53  
Innocent on Excelsior for me.

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
posted 05-01-15 03:34 PM CT (US)     8 / 53  
Oh, so you don't post all day, then post immediately after I do? Today's not at all a good day for a lynch, but it is suspicious that you drop in with an innocent so soon-especially when, by Dethy logic, it is smart for the SK to make sure he doesn't leave one cop "confirmed" by being the only cop with a particular investigation.

In this setup though, since we lack the cop head start, this point is weaker than usual, but I find it annoying that I waited all day to post in the hopes that you would, then you pop in right after me.

"It looks like a huge shark just took a bite out of Excelsior's ass"-Colonel Kyle Riggs, Star Force: Storm Assault
posted 05-01-15 08:12 PM CT (US)     9 / 53  
That's a bit weak. But tables!

PossibilitiesAshWRPHerrExcelsiorScraginsNotes
Ash is scumScumSane/paranoidSane/naiveInsane/naive?Scragins could be any depending on the others.
WRP is scumInsane/paranoidScumSane/naiveSane/naiveInsane/paranoidThis would be a really good case for the town.
Herr is scumSane/paranoidInsane/paranoidScumSane/naive?Scragins could be any depending on the others.
Excelsior is scumInsane/paranoidInsane/paranoidNaiveScumSaneThis would be an excellent case for the town as well.

Remember that the town cannot afford a mislynch, but can afford a no lynch, and obviously should no lynch because of probability/combinatorics and stuff. Not before some discussion anyway. Did I make any mistakes? If so, do correct them.

Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
posted 05-01-15 08:15 PM CT (US)     10 / 53  
Also, to weigh in on Excel/Herr, yeah, the mere hour and 20 minutes delay on Herr's post might be a minor tell, but maybe we can just have Herr claim his result first tomorrow.

posted 05-02-15 00:30 AM CT (US)     11 / 53  
This brings me back to the days of small MSN mafias. One right after the other. Inviting like 50 people to massive convos to see who stuck around. Taking my bipolar disorder out on people. Talking about listless topics like Fiona Apple and randomly generated RRG quests. Cybering with a male pretending to be a female. Wow, intense nostalgia. I will look back on those days fondly.

Anyway. If no lynches are allowed, which appears to be the case, that is clearly what we should do. We have two choices: either we dictate that multiple cops investigate the same person, or dictate all cops (but one) investigate a different player. In the first case, either the primary target or one of the corroborative investigators will die. In the second case, we risk getting the exact same guilty-innocent results as today and learning nothing. Both have pros and cons. There is also a balance, which may be the best of both worlds; e.g. Ash and WRP investigate Excel, Herr and Excel investigate WRP.

EE forever
posted 05-02-15 00:33 AM CT (US)     12 / 53  
We have two choices: either we dictate that multiple cops (all but one) investigate the same person, or dictate all cops investigate a different player.
Should actually read like this.

EE forever
posted 05-02-15 00:36 AM CT (US)     13 / 53  
There is also the option of not revealing who we are planning to investigate, so the killer can't tamper with the results. I actually like that idea.

EE forever
posted 05-02-15 01:28 PM CT (US)     14 / 53  
Vote: No-Lynch The one thing I don't like about Dethy is that it usually doesn't involve the essence of mafia, discussion. But, lacking the cop head start, discussion will be somewhat more important than normal.

I'm fine with however we decide to investigate; people should probably think over who they should investigate, based on the evidence we have. WRP's table seems pretty sound; I'm failing to detect any devious variations in it.

posted 05-02-15 01:48 PM CT (US)     15 / 53  
Ash, do you have a post restriction?

posted 05-02-15 06:11 PM CT (US)     16 / 53  
Vote: No-Lynch The one thing I don't like about Dethy is that it usually doesn't involve the essence of mafia, discussion.
I agree.
Ash, do you have a post restriction?
Hah, no. It's just me.

So, yeah, like Excelsior said, we did not have a cop head start, so I think it is even more important that we do not tell the killer who we plan to investigate (announcing in the game thread). Otherwise, if they know all the planned investigations, they have control over what we learn the next day. I believe we should keep our plans secret, but I am willing to hear out alternatives.

Vote: No Lynch

EE forever
posted 05-02-15 06:34 PM CT (US)     17 / 53  
But, lacking the cop head start, discussion will be somewhat more important than normal.
And yet two votes for no lynch?

posted 05-03-15 12:54 PM CT (US)     18 / 53  
Well, WRP, I'm not sure of what type of discussion exactly would be best, without digging for some rather dry bones; i.e., making mountains out of molehills.

posted 05-04-15 10:00 AM CT (US)     19 / 53  
Isn't this contradiction already a point of discussion? Plus, we haven't heard from Herr since he claimed his result.

posted 05-06-15 06:20 AM CT (US)     20 / 53  
And then there was silence.

posted 05-06-15 07:56 AM CT (US)     21 / 53  
Probably need a prod on Herr.

posted 05-11-15 02:36 PM CT (US)     22 / 53  
Sorry, completely forgot that I was in this (like I knew I would ). Anyways, got the prod last night and I;m back for now.
Also, to weigh in on Excel/Herr, yeah, the mere hour and 20 minutes delay on Herr's post might be a minor tell, but maybe we can just have Herr claim his result first tomorrow.
Um, a tell for what, exactly? Anyways, I'll be happy to go first tomorrow, got nothing to hide.

I'd vote for a no lynch right now but we still need to decide if we want to reveal our investigation targets in advance or not. IMO I don't think it really matters if we do because we'll most probably have enough information tomorrow to be able to narrow it down to the killer. Getting two different results on the same player (assuming both are cops) means that we will almost certainly be able to narrow it down to the killer.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that while there might be a discussion to be had, it is all a bit pointless. Investigating whoever we want to investigate should work.

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

posted 05-11-15 03:59 PM CT (US)     23 / 53  
But do we know whether it will be better for us to all investigate one guy, or to decide targets, or not to make it known who is investigating who?

posted 05-20-15 08:59 AM CT (US)     24 / 53  
I think picking whoever will be best. Each of us should be able to make a good call on that.

posted 05-20-15 10:17 PM CT (US)     25 / 53  
48 hours until Night 1.

posted 05-21-15 09:32 AM CT (US)     26 / 53  
I've already said what I wanted to say. I think revealing our investigation targets matters only insofar as we want scum to have as little information as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if statistically, dethy scum wins were slightly lower when more in the dark.

EE forever
posted 05-21-15 12:18 PM CT (US)     27 / 53  
Then night it is. Vote: No Lynch

posted 05-21-15 12:33 PM CT (US)     28 / 53  
The day dragged on and on as they investigated the dried up lake
for signs of the spambot killer. Eventually, the heat began to
get to them, and they laid down to take a nap. Waking from their
sleep suddenly, they realized that the sun was setting and they
had lost a lot of daylight. Not about to be outclassed by
something as silly as the sun, they went back to their cars and
retrieved flashlights. It would be harder to keep track of who
was who, but they weren't going to give up.

No one was lynched.
It is Night 1.
Day 2 will begin in 48 hours.
Please email all actions to lollersquirrelz[at]gmail[dot]com.

posted 05-26-15 05:14 PM CT (US)     29 / 53  
Jesus Christ I feel like I've gone back in time about 6 years.

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant
"I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD" - Ashrzr defending himself from paedophile charges.

Scenario designer for Empire Earth and Empire Creations
1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
President of EEH, alongside Ashrzr (FILM DUDE!)
posted 05-26-15 06:54 PM CT (US)     30 / 53  
The prods were not enough. Randomizing missing action(s).

In the distance, two flashlights came together, and then one
flickered out. The others began to head that way, and the sun
began to rise. It was hard to tell who had come from where in
that dull gray void that was dawn, but the results were clear:
there had been another murder.

Yeebaagooon (Excelsior), a ??? Cop, has been killed.
It is Day 2.
There are 3 of you, so it is 2 to lynch.

posted 05-26-15 08:51 PM CT (US)     31 / 53  
Well, I have a rather useless result. Herr, why don't you go first?

posted 05-26-15 10:50 PM CT (US)     32 / 53  
If you have a useless result, why do you want Herr to go first? I think it makes sense that Herr claim first today only because he did last yesterday.

EE forever
posted 05-27-15 12:05 PM CT (US)     33 / 53  
^Exactly.

posted 05-29-15 09:34 AM CT (US)     34 / 53  
I hate to advertise, but I am only saying this here because an email sent to you failed. WRP, are you interested in replacing into a mafia at AoKH? Day 1 is just over.

EE forever
posted 05-29-15 03:07 PM CT (US)     35 / 53  
Innocent on Ash for me.

posted 05-29-15 06:46 PM CT (US)     36 / 53  
I got innocent on Herr, which doesn't tell us anything. Since I also had guilty on Ash, that means that if I'm not scum, I'm either sane or paranoid, ergo either Ash or Herr is scum (duh).

posted 05-29-15 07:50 PM CT (US)     37 / 53  
All I need is Ash's result to make another table.

posted 05-29-15 10:16 PM CT (US)     38 / 53  
I got a guilty on on WRP. I have suspected Herr for a while now, due to the fact that he argued in favor of coming forward with our results and happened to claim last yesterday. If WRP is scum, hard off to him, because I am pretty confident Herr is scum.

EE forever
posted 05-29-15 10:19 PM CT (US)     39 / 53  
coming forward with our plans*

EE forever
posted 05-29-15 10:44 PM CT (US)     40 / 53  
So, here are our possibilities:

PossibilitiesAshWRPHerrExcelsiorScragins
Ash is scumScumSaneNaiveInsaneParanoid
WRP is scumParanoidScumSane/naiveSane/naiveInsane
Herr is scumParanoidInsaneScumSane/naiveSane/naive

Problem is, how do we determine which one is correct? Although the first one looks good on the table, by no means is it to be considered more likely than the others. All we can do is some behavioral analysis.

posted 05-30-15 03:29 AM CT (US)     41 / 53  
I was last on Day 1 because I didn't check the thread early enough, I was first today (when more was on the line) so that should make up for that. I'm not sure what else I can say as a defense, especially since I shouldn't have to defend myself anyway.

posted 05-30-15 01:23 PM CT (US)     42 / 53  
I just want to make a quick aside here that the MafiaScum wiki for the Dethy type game claims it is impossible to reach Day 2 and not have it narrowed down to two people, and that this was why Dethy was discontinued due to balance reasons. It boggles the mind that they would institute Cop Head Start in something and then decide that the setup favored town and scrap it rather than trying it without Cop Head Start. Boggles the freaking mind.

posted 05-31-15 05:34 PM CT (US)     43 / 53  
Well, I don't really have any lead on either Ash or Herr. Herr has been quite inactive and not participated to much discussion. On the other hand, Ash is tricky and smart, without the possibility of analyzing a few hundred posts I can't really say whether one is scummier. Although I don't like Herr's inactivity.

posted 06-01-15 02:58 PM CT (US)     44 / 53  
Well, then, you might just want to flip a coin so we can have closure on this.

EE forever
posted 06-01-15 03:07 PM CT (US)     45 / 53  
I'll go with Herr. If Ash is scum, he did a good job proposing strategies and stuff, while Herr only popped in once to discuss strats. Vote: Herr

posted 06-01-15 03:48 PM CT (US)     46 / 53  
Vote: Herr

Good game.

EE forever
posted 06-01-15 09:37 PM CT (US)     47 / 53  
Fed up, the investigators decided on a new tactic. They'd just
set that stupid spambot car on fire, and see who freaked out.
One grabbed the petrol, another a lighter, and soon the blasted
thing was ablaze. Immediately, WRP began freaking out. The
others quickly began bludgeoning, and soon the disguise was
ruined and uniqueman101 was revealed.

uniqueman101 (Herr Heir), a serial killer, has been lynched.
The town is victorious.

posted 06-01-15 10:17 PM CT (US)     48 / 53  
Ooh, neat!

posted 06-02-15 08:01 AM CT (US)     49 / 53  
So how could it be narrowed down to just 2 players?
posted 06-02-15 09:04 AM CT (US)     50 / 53  
Awesome!

posted 06-02-15 10:11 AM CT (US)     51 / 53  
Well, each townie could narrow it down to two players, therefore each townie had 50% chance of picking the right lynch target. Since I'd been the one making the tables and stuff, I was rather likely to be town (or very clever scum), therefore Ash was in favour of lynching Herr over me (post 38). Herr being the SK, he could only had won if I had voted for Ash, therefore 50% chance.

posted 06-02-15 08:36 PM CT (US)     52 / 53  
I was talking in regards to what Rot said.
I just want to make a quick aside here that the MafiaScum wiki for the Dethy type game claims it is impossible to reach Day 2 and not have it narrowed down to two people, and that this was why Dethy was discontinued due to balance reasons.
Your point about having a 50% chance because you know you are town would apply in every game when there are only 3 people left. Could the night actions actually have been used to confirm anyone as town or scum?
posted 06-02-15 10:52 PM CT (US)     53 / 53  
Yes and no. In a Cop Head Start, there is always sufficient information, no matter what actions everyone takes, wherein the town can confirm at least one player by Day 2. MafiaScum goes on to claim that, because of this, the Dethy setup inherently favors town and is not balanced, and was taken out of the rotation as a result.

My point is that by simply eliminating the Cop Head Start, which makes absolutely no sense in a Dethy to begin with, you gain a more balanced experience. On Day 2, no player was confirmed, and that was with Herr's Night 1 action being randomized. As such, it came down to a mixture of logic and behavior to determine who was scum. In this case, Herr's conveniently showing up just after Excel on Day 1 stuck out, and people ultimately went for him.

My aside was basically to demonstrate that MafiaScum was silly in its declaration of imbalance. It introduced an element to the game which created imbalance, then declared the whole setup inherently imbalanced due to that additional element, without considering how the introduction of said element affected the setup.

HeavenGames » Forums » HG Main Mafia Forum » Spambot Dethy Mafia - Game Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
HeavenGames