Leif Ericson: 2012
sly_guy: 2010
Scud: 2008

RESULTS:

You can read the entries here:
"Eclipse", by Lord Basse
"Irulan's Plight", by Moff
"The Wedge", by Mithril Knight

It's a new year! In a little over nine months, the game that is the titular "topic" in this off-topic forum will turn 21 years old and with the Definitive Edition newly released, it doesn't look like it is anywhere close to its grave yet. People are still playing it, and people are still making scenarios in it - and telling stories in it.

For me personally, telling stories through scenarios has always been my favourite part of the game. It was the main reason I stuck around this forum back in the days, and it is the primary reason I am still here; because, ultimately, this is a community of creators. Modders, map makers - and writers, in one form or another.

Since 2008 we have occasionally hosted writing competitons for those of us who enjoy storytelling even outside the realm of AoE2. We have written all kinds of stories: historical fiction and fantasy, horror and sci-fi, and stories that do not fit neatly into any genre. And now it is time to do this once more!

THE RULES:

What am I writing?
Any work of fiction, like a short story or poetry.

How long do I have?
Just about two months. Your entry must be submitted before February 29th.

To whom do I send my entry?
To matt.livecchi@gmail.com. Your story should preferably be in .pdf format, but .doc, .docx, or .odt are also allowed.

Anything else?
Why, yes, I am glad you asked!
  • Your entry must not exceed 6,000 words. If you find yourself just above the limit, there is always a word or two you can trim. Keep in mind that longer =/= better; a single page of high quality will always receive a higher score than a detailed but boring or poorly written story.
  • Your entry must be a work of fiction. Any type of prose, poetry or even screenplay is allowed, but not essays or articles.
  • The entry that you submit must be your own original work, with no input from anybody else (so no team entries). You can use pre-existing fictitious worlds and canon in your piece, as long as you construct an original story. For example you may set your entry within the realm of Middle Earth, just don't go copying and pasting the plot of Lord of The Rings.
  • Once you have sent your entry, you will have no chance to edit it further – it is considered final. Make sure you're happy with it before you send it in.
  • You do not need to officially sign up to enter, as long as you have an HG account and make sure you send your story in before the deadline!

THE JUDGING

The judges this time around are Major Helper, Mr. Wednesday and Neochud!

The three judges will read your entry and give it a maximum of 50 points, which will be split equally between to categories: Technical Proficiency and Literary Content.

For "Technical Proficiency" the main areas that will be judged will be how well your entry is structured, the literary technique displayed, the use of language for effect, charaterization, thematic development and others. You will be marked down for spelling and grammatical errors (unless of course it is used as colloquialism during dialogue), so be sure to check your entries thoroughly for any errors.

"Literary Content" will be the content of the entry itself, and to be blunt - did the judges like it? Was your entry satisfying, was the plot developed, or was the dialogue wooden with the characters lifeless? It may be good writing a well thought out and technical piece of prose, but if it isn't interesting to the judges you are shooting yourself in the foot.

The judges should read and rate the entries expeditiously, so that we can get a result as soon as is reasonably possible. They should provide a few lines for each of the category (or more) as motivation for their scoring.

Entrants:
    Lord Basse
    Moff
    Mithril Knight
    AMValentines

Now that you know what to do and what to expect, it's time to let the creative juices flow! Good luck and have fun writing!

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 03-13-2020 @ 01:34 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 01-03-20 12:06 PM CT (US)     1 / 94  
    A couple changes from the previous years:

* I changed the word limit back to 6,000, rather than the 10,000 it has been in the last two or three rounds. Partly because it is easier to finish a shorter story, meaning more people are likely to enter, and partly because it will be easier on the judges.
    * I picked the double criteria that have been the standard for most years, rather than the simple ranking employed by MawBTS last time around.

Seeing as I intend to enter this competition (I'm only hosting it because no one else appears to want to ), I should obviously not have the final say on either of these things. So if you would prefer the longer word limit or the other judging method, do post! Consider the word limit and judging criteria preliminary until a consensus has been reached.

Apart from that, all the rules and guidelines are the same as in previous editions of this contest.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-03-2020 @ 12:13 PM).]

posted 01-03-20 05:03 PM CT (US)     2 / 94  
    MESA GOEN!

Just six-kay, though... all right. WHICH TALE OF STEAMY NAUTICAL LOVE SHALL I TELL IN SO BRIEF A WINDOW?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
    Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
    Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?

[This message has been edited by Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo (edited 01-03-2020 @ 05:28 PM).]

posted 01-03-20 05:58 PM CT (US)     3 / 94  
    For some reason or another, people have seemed to think I am qualified to judge this for years, and I see my name up there yet again.

Also be cool and PDF your story. I'm not going to dock marks for format, but I shall whisper small curses against those who can't use PDFs.

Edit: can't wait to read moff's erotica on exactly how baby Yoda was conceived. :P

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 01-03-2020 @ 05:59 PM).]

posted 01-03-20 06:38 PM CT (US)     4 / 94  
    I already said so a few days ago, but I'm in. I hope to finish an entry for once.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
    My Works
    ¡Viva México!
    My Coat of Arms
    posted 01-03-20 07:03 PM CT (US)     5 / 94  
    Edit: can't wait to read moff's erotica on exactly how baby Yoda was conceived. :P
    ...So is Popey the father...

...Or the mother?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
    Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."

[This message has been edited by Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo (edited 01-03-2020 @ 07:03 PM).]

posted 01-04-20 06:43 AM CT (US)     6 / 94  
    * I changed the word limit back to 6,000, rather than the 10,000 it has been in the last two or three rounds
    It's always been a word limit, not a word target. I've always asked people to write poetry or screenplays, but everyone who ever entered while I judged it chose to write a novella. We had some good short entries (The end of clocks by MawBTS, which was only ~1500 words long, and I would have liked to see it extended to 2000 words or so).

But people do it to themselves. Everyone sets out trying to use the maximum wordcount, and it just makes them a pain to read. And write.

Member of BlackForest Studios
    Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
    and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
    "Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
    "Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
    "You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
    posted 01-04-20 03:09 PM CT (US)     7 / 94  
    Part of what I hope to achieve with a lower word limit is to amend just that, to make people less encouraged to write novellas (which are harder to finish on time), and focus more on actual short stories. I know how easy it is to fall into the trap of trying to write as long a story as possible since the word limit allows for it: two of my previous entries have basically been the opening chapter(s) of novels, two would likely be classified as novellas (both at around 6,000 words, though, not 10,000), and two were actual short stories.

A lower word limit forces you to think of more condensed stories, and even if you do fill up the whole 6,000 words, it will still be easier on the judges who have to read a whole lot of different entries.
    I laughed way too hard at this.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-04-2020 @ 03:10 PM).]

posted 01-05-20 09:31 AM CT (US)     8 / 94  
    How do I join? Would love to be a part of this.
    posted 01-05-20 10:07 AM CT (US)     9 / 94  
    Just state interest like you just did and submit your entry as instructed on time. Welcome in

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
    You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
    Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
    I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
    Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
    -=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
    posted 01-05-20 03:41 PM CT (US)     10 / 94  
    @AMValtentine, you basically just signed up! Welcome to AoKH!

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-06-20 06:18 PM CT (US)     11 / 94  
    Matt, Sipia or MH - care to give this a news post?

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-11-20 11:30 AM CT (US)     12 / 94  
    Hyped to read your entries guys.

posted 01-11-20 01:05 PM CT (US)     13 / 94  
    I've yet to start the actual writing, but I am planning the plot structure of my entry, what little there is. It's probably going to be one of my shortest to date, no 6,000 word novellas this time around!

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-11-20 01:14 PM CT (US)     14 / 94  
    "There once was a walrus from Nantucket. He was in search of his bukkit. He searched high and low, but with nowhere to go, he finally just said, "F**k it."

I'LL TAKE MY AWARD NOW PLEASE

posted 01-11-20 01:16 PM CT (US)     15 / 94  
    Here you go.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-11-20 03:39 PM CT (US)     16 / 94  
    Serious question. Should I do all formatting in the document, or BBCode it? Judges are getting PDFs, right?

posted 01-11-20 04:05 PM CT (US)     17 / 94  
    Yeah, they're getting PDFs, so you can do it in the document.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-11-20 05:51 PM CT (US)     18 / 94  
    The writing contest has had so many amazing entries over the years. Some highlights I still remember fondly:

1. Julius's entry way back in the day
    2. All of Bart's entries
    3. My Fort, My Empire by Lord Basse
    4. That one year where everyone submitted the first five chapters of their painfully boring fantasy novels.
    5. Boris and I, an absolute classic from former TC cherub Felix.
    6. A fairly heavy-handed denouncing of Thatcherism from Popey more transparent than V for Vendetta. well written nonetheless!

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 01-11-2020 @ 05:52 PM).]

posted 01-11-20 10:59 PM CT (US)     19 / 94  
    Bart always had a knack for short stories, actual short stories and not the compressed novellas most of us write! There are several which I still remember clearly despite not having read them for years. I'm hoping that he makes the annual visit to enter this time as well!

Another couple highlights were Surge story about alcoholism, and Mashek's about trench warfare.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-22-20 04:13 AM CT (US)     20 / 94  
    How are things going for you, folks?

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-23-20 01:04 AM CT (US)     21 / 94  
    I've started working on my idea. No actual writing yet, as I need to know where I'll go with it first but once I do it should be smooth sailing. Don't worry, it won't be a novella.

I'm trying to avoid it by going for something only tangentially related to the actual novel worthy ideas I have been steadily working over the last year or so. I don't think I'll hit the limit with this story. At least I hope so. >_>

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
    My Works
    ¡Viva México!
    My Coat of Arms
    posted 01-23-20 03:12 AM CT (US)     22 / 94  
    Nice! I'm aiming for a story that, for once, doesn't cross the 2,000 word mark. The idea I have doesn't really need all that much text space, I think.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-23-20 06:41 AM CT (US)     23 / 94  
    Eh, hit a touch of writer's block. Need to organically segue into this linguistic stuff I've been working on for months.

posted 01-23-20 10:45 AM CT (US)     24 / 94  
    Ah, that sucks. Do you have the story planned out or are you making it up as you go along?

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 01-23-20 12:03 PM CT (US)     25 / 94  
    Broad outline, let the characters dictate the details. Also, I need the quick history and biology lectures crammed in there, too.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The AoKH Writing Competition 2020
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames