loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Custom Water Gate Using Triggers - Tutorial
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-05-06 01:49 AM EDT (US)   
Making a Water Gate With Triggers
Tom Barak
1/4/2006

I was working on a level lately and began building a dock complex for my British garrison. I created a lagoon then got the idea that a water gate might be a nice addition. Of course using the fort gate works and with a bit of elevation adjustment you can get a nice looking water gate that will fit a fishing boat through. But what about the big boys, like the frigate or monitor?

While these big ships can sail through the fort gate, it looks ridiculous since the models pass through one another totally destroying the illusion. I had no suitable existing unit. I thought about it while doing a bit of eye candy and an idea hit me on how the illusion could be created using just triggers. I threw down a few wall segments and set up 11 simple triggers and before long I had a working water gate, complete with sound, that opens and closes just like a giant door. It's also big enough to fit the warships through. The three above pictures show the gate in action as a fishing boat passes through it. Of course when the gate is closed, it is as secure as having a wall segment there. If you want to see the gate in action, try this animated gif [GIF, (577.99 KB)]. Here's how it's done.

Setting Up The Map

The picture above shows how the lock looks in the editor. I placed one wall connector and five of the straightwall5 units. I arranged the wall segments carefully in an arc with a common pivot point dead centre in the wall connector. I then placed a cinematic block for a trigger unit. I numbered the wall segments as they're identified in the triggers below.

I've placed a water door in my level and it really does look good. The sound definitely gives it the final touch. The only thing you have to be careful about is the terrain around the connector, since when the walls are spawned, they tend to flatten the terrain around them. Notice in the top three shots around the wall connector how it gets a bit messed up? I'll have to dress it with some underbrush or something. Still, not bad for a first go! Also make sure the water is just the right depth around your lock both to allow your ship to pass, as well as allow enough wall to stick out of the water to look good. If you place the wall segments carefully and evenly spaced apart, the illusion is really convincing! Using this concept you can arrange the wall segments to give the appearance of a sliding door that moves sideways. Many other uses like secret passages or doors can also be made.

Download Demo Map

If you doubt whether just five wall segments gives a realistic illusion, I urge you to download the test map and see for yourself. (126KB, includes a wav sound file)

http://ftp.mts.net/~tbarak/Doom3/LockTestMap.zip

Triggers

You can use this trigger list or take it from the test map:

Trigger 1 - active
Condition
always
Effect
change unit type (wall 4 to cinematic block)
change unit type (wall 3 to cinematic block)
change unit type (wall 2 to cinematic block)
change unit type (wall 1 to cinematic block)

Trigger 2 - active
Condition
Units in area: (center unit cinematic block as per picture)(player x) (abstract fishing boat) (area 10) (>=1)
Effect
fire event (Trigger 3)

Trigger 3 - not active
Condition
timer (ms) 200
Effect
change unit type (wall 5 to cinematic block)
change unit type (wall 4 to wallstraight5)
fire event (Trigger 4)

Trigger 4 - not active
Condition
timer (ms) 200
Effect
change unit type (wall 3 to wallstraight5)
fire event (Trigger 5)

Trigger 5 - not active
Condition
timer (ms) 200
Effect
change unit type (wall 2 to wallstraight5)
fire event (Trigger 6)

Trigger 6 - not active
Condition
timer (ms) 200
Effect
change unit type (wall 1 to wallstraight5)
fire event (Trigger 7)

Trigger 7 - active
Condition
Units in area: (center unit cinematic block as per picture)(player x) (abstract fishing boat) (area 10) (==0)
Effect
fire event (Trigger 8)

Trigger 8 - not active
Condition
timer (ms) 200
Effect
change unit type (wall 1 to cinematic block)
change unit type (wall 2 to wallstraight5)
fire event (Trigger 9)

Trigger 9 - not active
Condition
timer (ms) 200
Effect
change unit type (wall 3 to wallstraight5)
fire event (Trigger 10)

Trigger 10 - not active
Condition
timer (ms) 200
Effect
change unit type (wall 4 to wallstraight5)
fire event (Trigger 11)

Trigger 11 - not active
Condition
timer (ms) 200
Effect
change unit type (wall 5 to wallstraight5)
fire event (Trigger 2)

tbarak@mts.net

[This message has been edited by ToMyBoY (edited 08-24-2006 @ 09:54 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-05-06 02:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
that's pretty cool

Bah.
posted 01-05-06 02:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
WOW tommy you win the "why didnt I think of that" award hands down! I am dloading your map and will have fun playing with this. You sort of have an unofficial copyright on it though

It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache
posted 01-05-06 03:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
And don't you take my idea.
posted 01-05-06 06:58 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
Extremely cool trick, and an extremely good guide.
posted 01-05-06 07:06 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
nice, I'm alrdy using a simpler trick, but its a maze in my rpg, the roots keep changing, i'll add this article to wiki soon, good writing it up

U_Spawn_U - Think About It
posted 01-05-06 08:03 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
Woah! Just tried out the scenario, awesome stuff tom!

Reverie World Studios
.:°.- Swift Sampson - .°:.
My custom AoM-TT Menu Backround
Member of Liquid Fire Studios | My AoM / AoE3 Eyecandy Screens | The Rise of Zeus
posted 01-05-06 01:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
Ooooh....what will you think up next?

Visit The EyeCandy Guild!
« « Co-Founder & Co-Leader » »
ForumTeam
retired
posted 01-05-06 01:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
Heck, you are really good at this...

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 01-05-06 04:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
Well thank you every body. After editing in AOMTT I spent a year working with the Doom3 editor and that's where I learned a lot of tricks. If you ever get a chance to learn how to edit a true moddable 3D game I would suggest you do it, you'll take a lot from it.

Shaw I'm just kidding of course. The worst thing for me would be if this effect never shows up in anyone else's map. I like sharing stuff with you guys and the greatest honour is when others use it in their work, hopefully in new and creative ways.

Happy designing.

[This message has been edited by ToMyBoY (edited 01-05-2006 @ 04:49 PM).]

posted 01-05-06 05:22 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
so after the whole process is done, the gate can open another time? Thats always my problem with those triggers
posted 01-05-06 05:26 PM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
Yup, it's a looped trigger chain and the gate operates like any other gate, just that it opens like a door you'd find in any home instead of going up and down. DL the test map and see it in action.
posted 01-05-06 08:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
i wonder cound you make on the goes up and down if you use it in combination with the flying mod?

U_Spawn_U - Think About It
posted 01-05-06 09:25 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
Clever tbarak, clever.

Now make us an advanced HC mod!!

posted 01-05-06 10:02 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
Very smart, gj!

posted 01-05-06 11:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
Very cool, and it is strangely realistic too... its really smooth, and with more gates you can probaly make it smoother than that. I do wish however you can tell the trigger to respond to all of player 1 ships, instead of a specific vessel

posted 01-06-06 01:11 AM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
You must have 2 much time on your hands tomyboy.
You should make playable scenario I bet it would kick butt. Or are you already?

It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache
posted 01-06-06 01:18 AM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
I forgot to put in the play dialogue effect in the trigger list in the article and will update it. Also I am going to post the test map on the AOE3H DL section so I can free up some host space. For now I leave it but I'll update the link.

Quote:

I do wish however you can tell the trigger to respond to all of player 1 ships, instead of a specific vessel

You'd only have to add one other condition to Triggers 2 and 7, and that is "units in area", Player 1, "abstract warship". You'd repeat these for any player you want to be able to open the door.

About sliding the door up, the flying unit is too high so it wouldn't look good. I haven't found a way to tune in the height yet either.

Quote:

Now make us an advanced HC mod!!

I'm not sure what you mean Gaurdian by an improved HC unit mod. What would you like improved? Felix just playtested my cine and rapped me, so I'm pretty busy trying to fix that right now. Then there's the damn level. But explain it to me and I will try.

posted 01-06-06 03:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
Lol..

Is wonderfull, but.. Do not look real.. lol

posted 02-15-06 08:52 AM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
hahaha

Looks fun Tom!
I like it, only it goes a little bit too fast to be real, but nice thinking there!

posted 02-15-06 09:33 AM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
LOL, thanks Boaz. Nice to see people getting a kick out of it.

I have one more variation of this that I am trying to put into my project's final cine. It's a variation of this theme and should look kind of cool.

GL and happy designing.

posted 02-15-06 12:32 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
I must say, from the pictures it didn't seem very impressive. But when I tried it out myself it was pretty cool. Just far too fast

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 02-15-06 02:57 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
Yeah, I really should make an animated gif or something to show it in action for people who don't actually DL the little test map and look for themselves. I'm sure with a bit of messing around with it, it's action can be slowed down, maybe with 2 or 3 more wall sections in the sequence.
posted 02-15-06 10:14 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
good show old boy good show indeed.

I'll give this a try tomorrow just for the fun of it. btw The picts do help.

That reminds me I once use a trick like this to make a norse ship (the wonder) slide down a hill on some logs. There are many uses for this type of set up. Cool

[This message has been edited by sziggi (edited 02-15-2006 @ 10:17 PM).]

posted 02-16-06 06:23 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
Compliments coming from someone as skilled as yourself are always a source of inspiration. Hope you're well and thanks for stopping by the thread and saying hi.
posted 02-17-06 07:09 AM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Thanks, the gif annima is a cool idea, we should add stuff like that to the library. Or the fraps, which I'm not to familair with.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A Custom Water Gate Using Triggers - Tutorial
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames