Please login or register

Website Feedback
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Blacksmith problem
posted 12-03-07 09:31 AM CT (US)   
I have submitted a file in the 12th of November, entitled "Compilation of Lists", which still hasn't been uploaded.

I want to know if there's anything wrong and, if there isn't, I want it not to be uploaded. I have updated it since I created it, so I'll send an updated version.

Some will probably say: "Well, couldn't you simply upload the file then?", but I haven't launched this thread with the single purpose of requesting an upload (as this could have been made through an e-mail). I want mods to know of this situation and maybe locate some glitches/bugs in the Blacksmith, which could affect other members.

Thanks in advance.
Replies:
posted 12-03-07 02:49 PM CT (US)     1 / 6  
Well, if your having a problem, here is Tanneur's e-mail. If he can't help you, I highly doubt anyone else can: tanneur99@heavengames.com

EDIT: Btw, that is a discusting signature you have, to put it bluntly.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~

[This message has been edited by Dantares IV (edited 12-03-2007 @ 02:50 PM).]

posted 12-03-07 04:22 PM CT (US)     2 / 6  
Scud requested it, BTW

Anyway, I have Tanneur's email. The thing is, I don't know if I'm the only one to have this problem, which is why I launched this thread. Else I simply would have emailed him (as stated on the topic post).
posted 12-03-07 08:41 PM CT (US)     3 / 6  
Cesar Bernardi, use email next time.

This is not the place to seek answers of why certain files do not receive an approval.

I did not approve your ‘Compilation of Lists’ for copyright issues. We take author's copyright very serious at HG. You may only submit work you have created yourself; if you wish to use someone else's work and/or alter it, you must have the original author's permission.

Your lists include two Utilities already uploaded to the blacksmith by their authors, zyxomma100 and ca_aok.

Modpack Sound Resource List by zyxomma100
SLP List by ca_aok

In addition, we do not host double uploads; by an approval of your submission the utilities above become obsolete and I have to remove them. You could link to the files in your description without including them in your .zip file.

Apart from two lists of your own, you included the following from scenario_t_c,

Resource List by scenario_t_c
Garrison type list by scenario_t_c
Resource list by scenario_t_c
Resource/Civil Header list by scenario_t_c
Graphic slot list by scenario_t_c
Unit class list by scenario_t_c
Terrain Restriction list by scenario_t_c

Please make sure that scenario_t_c does not plan to upload a utility of his own with the lists he posted before you submit your update.
posted 12-03-07 09:10 PM CT (US)     4 / 6  
The reason I launched a thread instead of simply emailing you is that, due to lack of contact from you after I uploaded the file, I thought it was a problem with the Blacksmith instead of the restriction you mentioned, and sought to find out if it had affected other users (as stated).

Now:
- I wasn't aware I wasn't allowed to turn content from a public thread into a file to upload it (BTW, all of scenario_t_c's lists come from threads);
- The SLP List (by ca_aok) has several different versions from several different authors. It is a work in progress by the modding community, and as the list gets updated, the updater makes the new version available. If you are taking copyright under high regard, then even ca_aok's file is illegal, as it is merely an edited/improved copy from other's work, as well as some other SLP lists I found on the Blacksmith;
- Since I got positive comments about this list (inside and outside the AOKH forums), I shall get authorizations and seek to have it uploaded.
This is not the place to seek answers of why certain files do not receive an approval.
True, but when they don't receive an approval, I expect to be told that it happened, and why it happened, not just be left in the dark with no answers.
You could link to the files in your description without including them in your .zip file.
Also true, but then again, as I stated, the sole purpose of this file is to speed up the seeking of information in lists, despite if they are hosted on the forum or inserted into a file. Opening a buckload of browser windows/tabs and a couple of files decreases productivity considerably.
Please make sure that scenario_t_c does not plan to upload a utility of his own with the lists he posted before you submit your update.
Last I heard from t_c's project, he was working on something far bigger than an Excel file.
posted 12-03-07 10:44 PM CT (US)     5 / 6  
I thought it was a problem with the Blacksmith...sought to find out if it had affected other users
Yes it did, you are not the only one with a submission issue. A blacksmith problem is unlikely, the moment files approve with a later date than your submission it is a file issue not a technical problem.
I wasn't aware I wasn't allowed to turn content from a public thread into a file to upload it (BTW, all of scenario_t_c's lists come from threads)
You misread my post; the copyright issue is with regard to the two utilities. I am aware that scenario_t_c's lists come from threads; otherwise, I would have linked to an upload of his and not to the threads. The mention of scenario_t_c's threads was an advice.
...even ca_aok's file is illegal, as it is merely an edited/improved copy from other's work, as well as some other SLP lists I found on the Blacksmith
It would help sending me the file names, which consist of copied lists. I have some on my 'to do list' already. I was not a moderator when these files uploaded and to refer to others being in violation of copyright is not an excuse for your own wrongdoing.
...I expect to be told that it happened, and why it happened...
Point taken, I am alone with the blacksmith moderation of downloads, comments and reviews since some weeks and to get these approved in time was the primary objective instead of delaying them because of copyright mails of files to remove. I repeat use email next time.
...as I stated, the sole purpose of this file is to speed up the seeking of information in lists, despite if they are hosted on the forum or inserted into a file. Opening a buckload of browser windows/tabs and a couple of files decreases productivity considerably.
You could put the three Immobile Unit AI or better all the Passive AIs into one .zip file, all altered .DAT files, how about all tutorials, all templates, the design tricks, the 'The Quest' and 'The King's Best Men' into one .zip file, the three Swallowed Realm files, the three Shadowmind, two Underworld etc. I am sure you find a huge load of files you could unite and upload them under your name with the argument that it would otherwise decrease productivity. However, it remains a copyright infringement.
Last I heard from t_c's project, he was working on something far bigger than an Excel file.
Still you should inform him by courtesy, collegiality and fairness.
posted 12-04-07 09:51 AM CT (US)     6 / 6  
Still you should inform him by courtesy, collegiality and fairness.
Yes. I shall.

Requesting closure.
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Website Feedback » Blacksmith problem
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames