Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Noobie Default Hotkey list
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-17-04 11:09 PM CT (US)   

Chewmen_ldr's Noobie Default Hotkey list

Introduction
I have taken the time to put down all the possible hotkey's in this post, including some stuff not in the manual. I hope this will help alot of the newcomers here, who need help with micromanagement skills.

Faqs
In this section I will answer any question asked by you. (Post underneath and I will add it to this section.)

Q: Why should I memorize the hotkeys?
A: Well first, do not memorize the hotkeys, learn them. Learning the hotkeys will give you a faster feudal age/Castle age/Imperial age times. It will give you a boost when you need it, (I.e. When you're housed you can save time to choose to build one) and will minimize mouse cramps from moving your hand up and down 50,000 times.

Q: Do you help noobs on the zone?
A: Actually, I do. If you need help you may contact me at Chewmen_ldr on zonefriends.

Custom keys
Custom keys are hotkeys that you set for yourself, for your personal preferences. You may access this option by:

1. Going to the main menu.
  2. Clicking upon options.
  3. Clicking on "hotkeys", underneath the name selection.
I suggest you learn the default hotkeys before trying your own combinations. Mainly because you may try to play on another computer, try to show a friend some hotkeys that he may not know, etc. And these hotkeys aren't so bad, as mostly the letter corresponds with the buildings name leaving them easy to remember.

After learning these hotkeys, I would try to learn your own. Here are some good hotkey combination ideas:

Group/building Numbering
You may number a unit/building or group of them to find them easily. This may be done by:

1. Holding the "ctrl" button on your computer.
  2. Pressing a number (1-9) on your keyboard.
  3. When trying to find them, press alt and their number (1-9) to move to them.
  4. When just trying to select them, just press their number (1-9).
  5. When trying to get rid of their number press "ctrl" and "0".
Here is my list of what numbers are on what object:

1. Scout.
  2. Raiding party.
  3. Main boar hunting army.
  4. Poor Boar lurer.
  5. My halberdier army.
  6. Monk(s).
  7. Misc. Army.
  8. Stables/Archery Ranges/Seige Workshops.
  9. Barracks'.
Another list (rather funny one) is one by Little_Wing:

Quoted from little_wing:

Micro'ing gives you the edge to win battles. And the heart of micro'ing is selecting groups to manage your military and economy. Here are my groups:
1 - Some vils I sent to hunt in dark. They are now idle somewhere away off to the side, waiting for enemy lt cav to come and kill them.
2 - A gaggle of combat units, including: Some knights, a few skirms, an onager, and whatever else was at hand when I made the group in a panic. Always put siege in the same group as cavalry, it slows them down and prevents the horses from getting tired. Combat micro consists of clicking on the nearest solitary enemy and watching the knights rush forward to attack and the onager shooting my own units.
3 - My castle. Very useful to hotkey your castle. I enjoy switching to it now and again to watch the rams whacking it down.
4 - Not sure what this is. I think I somehow managed to stick a tree into the group.
5 - A monk, holding a relic, just as he has been holding it for the last 5 minutes. Maybe i'll remember to bring him back to the monastary. Or maybe not.
6 - A solitary pikeman, who has decided to take on an enemy castle all by himself. This group will be free soon.
7 - 6 pikemen, and 2 vilagers, hastily stuffed into a group when the enemy knights came through my town. I'm sure those vilagers will really help the pikemen fight better.
8 - Mistakenly assigned to a farm. Still, you never know, maybe in the middle of battle I'll need check the food remaining.
9 - My scout, sitting in the corner somewhere, who hasn't moved since feudal. He might very well end up as the only survivor of my civilization.
There you go, a sample set of groups. Happy micro'ing!

MAIN HOTKEYS

Here is the real list of all the key commands for age of empires 2.

Unit Commands

Attack ground = T
Convert = C
Delete Unit = Delete key
Economic Building menu = B
Garrison = G
Heal = E
Military Buildings menu = V
Pack = P
Repair = R
Set gather point = I
Stop = S
Unload = L
Unpack = U

Game Commands

Chat Screen = alt+T
Diplomacy = alt+D
Show time = F11
Display statistics = F4
Tech Tree = F2
Flare = alt+F
Go to Archery range = ctrl+A
Go to Barracks = ctrl+B
Go to Blacksmith = ctrl+S
Go to Castle = ctrl+V
Go to Dock = ctrl+D
Go to Lumber camp = ctrl+Z
Go to Market = ctrl+M
Go to Mill = ctrl+I
Go to Mining camp = ctrl+G
Go to Monastry = ctrl+Y
Go to Seige workshop = ctrl+K
Go to Stable = ctrl+L
Go to Town center = H
Go to University = ctrl+U
Go to Last notification = Middle mouse button or Home
Go to Next idle military unit = ,
Go to Next idle villager unit = .
Mini map combat mode = alt+C
Mini map Economic mode = alt+R
Mini map Normal mode = alt+N
Objectives = alt+O
Pause game = F3 or Pause/Break
Return to previous menu = Backspace
Move up chat messages = page up
Move down chat messages = page down
Save chapter = F9
Save game = F12
Send chat message = Enter
Slow down game = -
Speed up game = +
Toggle friend/foe colors = Alt+G
Main menu = F10

Scroll Commands

Left arrow = left
Right arrow = right
Up arrow = up
Down arrow = down

Villager build

House = E
Blacksmith = S
University = U
Barracks = B
Archery range = A
Stable = L
Seige Workshop = K
Wall = W
Palisade wall = P
Castle = V
Town center = N
Market = M
Mill = I
Mining camp = G
Lumbercamp = Z
Dock = D
Farm = F
Bombard tower = J
Tower = T
Gate = /
Monastry = Y
Wonder = O
Outpost = Q

Town Center

Ring Town Bell = B
Go back to work = W
Villager = C

Dock

Longboat = G
Cannon Galleon = C
Demo Ship = D
Fire Ship = R
Fishing Ship = F
Galley = A
Trade cog = T
Transport = P
Turtle ship = S

Barracks

Eagle Warrior = G
Huskarl = R
Swordsman = S
Spearman = E

Archery Range

Archer = A
Skirmisher = C
Cav. Archer = E
Hand cannoneer = R

Stable

Camel = C
Knight = N
Scout cavalry = T

Seige Workshop

Battering Ram = R
Mangonel = C
Scorpion = A

Monastry

Monk = T
Missonary = S

Market

Trade cart = T

Military Units

Aggressive stance = A
Box = W
Defensive = D
Flank = F
Follow = C
Guard = X
Line = Q
No attack = O
Patrol = Z
Staggered = E
Stand Ground = N

Castle

Trebuchet = R
Unique unit = T
Petard = P

Mill

Reseed farm = F

Advanced commands

There are a few tips and tricks that you may use to make things go a little "faster". Here are some of them.

• Double clicking on a unit will select all of him that is on the screen.
  • A group is made of up to 40 units.
  • Shift + left click on a unit queue will make 5 of him.
  • Hold Shift and put a building down will allow you to make multiple of the same building.
  • When selecting a group you can select more by pressing control or shift and clicking or dragging around the units you want.
  • When selecting a group you can deselect 1 person by pressing on his face + control.
  • When selecting a group you can deselect the whole type of that unit by pressing control + shift + left click on the unit you want.
  • Right click during the placement of a building will cancel it.
  • You can also "add" units to a number group by selecting the units you want to add, do a Shift --> Ctrl --> <whatever number you assigned to the group>, which will select the number group in addition to the units you want to add. With them all selected, just number as usual. (Lord_Fadawah)
Notes
Have something that I missed? Want to share something? Just post below and I'll try to fit it in!

So... What do you guy's think? (I will update some things later, but right now I don't have the time.)

|=)(=| ©hewmen_Ldr |=)(=|
=============================
Chewmen is 5 Years old!
Clan Chewmen - Where the Addiction Begins

[This message has been edited by Chewmen_ldr (edited 04-19-2004 @ 05:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-17-04 11:13 PM CT (US)     1 / 33  

Quote:

So... What do you guy's think?

This thread could have been summarized by a simple acronym:

"RTFM."

STEVE
Age of Kings Heaven, Myll Clan

* Learn the Flush -- So you know how to play the game.
* Play Online -- So you can actually play the game.
posted 04-17-04 11:20 PM CT (US)     2 / 33  
You might want to add that if you hit ctrl+ the build hotkey for a building you will select that building. Example: ctrl+s selects your blacksmith. Pressing the hotkey again cycles through the buildings of that type. I never select things like my smith or university directly. It's also useful in watching recs (so you can cycle through the buildings of the player you're watching and see what they're building/researching).

Also, I highly recommend remapping your hotkeys if you are uncomfortable with the default ones. The villager idle key is especially good to change (the "." key is too far from the left side of the keyboard, where I keep my hand most of the time). I personally use "Z" and hit it every few seconds, which is pretty helpful. It doesn't take too long to get used to new ones if you play a decent amount. I recently changed the unload from "L" to "G" and haven't had much trouble with it, despite the fact that I use that key a great deal.

I'm not sure how this would be useful, this information can be easily looked up.

posted 04-18-04 04:42 AM CT (US)     3 / 33  

Quote:

This thread could have been summarized by a simple acronym:

"RTFM."

That actually made me laugh. Sorry Chewmen, but there is very little here that isn't included in the manual.

First of all, you need to define whether a building is a military building, or a non-military building (with B or V respectively). Due to a quirk in the game's programming, you can always substitute V with just plain B, so to build a castle you only need to go B --> V rather than V --> V. Note that the bug does not work in reverse, you it is impossible to go V --> E to build a house.

Quote:

A group is made of up to 40 units.

Too be more precise, a maximum of 30 units can be selected at once, if my memory serves me correctly.

Quote:

Holding the "ctrl" button on your computer.
Pressing a number (1-9) on your keyboard.
When trying to find them, press alt and their number (1-9) to move to them.
When just trying to select them, just press their number (1-9).
When trying to get rid of their number press "ctrl" and "0"

You can also "add" units to a number group by selecting the units you want to add, do a Shift --> Ctrl --> <whatever number you assigned to the group>, which will select the number group in addition to the units you want to add. With them all selected, just number as usual.

posted 04-18-04 05:36 AM CT (US)     4 / 33  
For idle vill I personally like using wheel up on my mouse.
posted 04-18-04 01:15 PM CT (US)     5 / 33  
The great thing about the idle vil key is you have 2 options. I also use wheel up in addition to "Z".
Apparently most of the Korean experts use "TAB", which makes sense.

One more thing: BsK just posted kkab/BsK_Depthbomb_'s hotkeys, so if anyone is interested in seeing what a Korean expert uses it's at: http://www.bskzone.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=132 (if you download them BACK UP YOUR OWN HOTKEYS. It's a file called "player1.hki" if you don't know.)
There's a short interview as well.

posted 04-18-04 01:56 PM CT (US)     6 / 33  

Quote:

Too be more precise, a maximum of 30 units can be selected at once, if my memory serves me correctly.

It's forty.

STEVE

posted 04-18-04 03:47 PM CT (US)     7 / 33  
Thankyou for your feedback, I will be updating adding for the next hour or so.

Chewmen is 5 Years old!
posted 04-19-04 02:13 PM CT (US)     8 / 33  
I have finished all the hotkeys, so... What other sections should I add to make it worthwhile?

Chewmen is 5 Years old!
posted 04-19-04 07:40 PM CT (US)     9 / 33  
Not to be nagging or anything.... But I didn't do this for nothing! Someone else needs to post!

Chewmen is 5 Years old!
posted 04-19-04 07:48 PM CT (US)     10 / 33  
You must be trying really hard for a sticky thread, and by constantly topping this, you're just condemning yourself to hell.

Like I said, this entire topic can be summarized up in one acronym:

"RTFM."

STEVE

posted 04-19-04 08:08 PM CT (US)     11 / 33  

Quote:

RTFM

What are you talking about? If you mean "Read the Freaking Manual", then your wrong. 80% of these hotkeys are nowhere in the manual, they're all in the game under options/hotkeys.

Quote:

You must be trying really hard for a sticky thread, and by constantly topping this, you're just condemning yourself to hell.

Chewmen is 5 Years old!
posted 04-19-04 08:27 PM CT (US)     12 / 33  
Chewmen:
I don't think this thread is really that helpful unless someone is too stupid to go to options>hotkeys in the game. I also seem to remember the hotkeys being in the manual (the back). You don't even include the ones which aren't listed in the options menu, like how to take a screenshot or a whole map shot.

Quote:

But I didn't do this for nothing!

I don't really see what your argument is here. No one (as far as I know) asked you to do this. Yes, it's great you put time and energy into it, but there is nothing here that can't be looked up elsewhere.

I suggest submitting it to Aro for inclusion in the University if you want some recognition for it. There are almost too many stickied threads (and the ladder soon to be added) already.

posted 04-21-04 08:29 PM CT (US)     13 / 33  
Even if it isnt in the manual its in the game.

Tab and wheel are my idle vill keys tho.

posted 04-25-04 11:37 AM CT (US)     14 / 33  
newb this, newbie that, noob again, you got something against newcomers? and if this is meant t be fore newcomers you shouldnt keep classifying them with the name which puts them off reading,

Dont break the CoC - Mods can't take competition!

Currently working on - Swimming in Hotel

SP Percentage: 48% (or less even)
MP Percentage: 12% (hardly)

posted 04-25-04 12:07 PM CT (US)     15 / 33  

Quote:

Q: Do you help noobs on the zone?
A: Actually, I do. If you need help you may contact me at Chewmen_ldr on zonefriends.

Don't teach other people to play when you haven't even grasped the game itself. For all I know, you're probably going to teach people to Mill first instead of LC.

Quote:

Faqs

"Frequently Asked Questionss"?

Quote:

Another list (rather funny one) is one by Little_Wing:

Useless list in a rather useless thread...

STEVE

posted 04-25-04 01:31 PM CT (US)     16 / 33  

Quote:

Don't teach other people to play when you haven't even grasped the game itself. For all I know, you're probably going to teach people to Mill first instead of LC.

Oh I have "grasped" the game fairly well. I haven't milled first since I first got the game, 2 years ago.

Quote:

"Frequently Asked Questionss"?

Wow.

Quote:

Useless list in a rather useless thread...

Twenty other people can list the same thing yet I'm the only one that is picked upon?

Quote:

newb this, newbie that, noob again, you got something against newcomers? and if this is meant t be fore newcomers you shouldnt keep classifying them with the name which puts them off reading,

I'm asuming that you are new to the game. So I'll take it from you.

Chewmen is 5 Years old!

[This message has been edited by Chewmen_ldr (edited 04-25-2004 @ 02:04 PM).]

posted 04-25-04 01:51 PM CT (US)     17 / 33  

Quote:

Oh I have "grasped" the game fairly well. I haven't milled since I first got the game, 2 years ago.

No offence, but when I played vs you a month or so ago, you were a brook at very best.
posted 04-25-04 01:58 PM CT (US)     18 / 33  

Quote:

No offence, but when I played vs you a month or so ago, you were a brook at very best.

That was a few months ago, and was not my best game (I know, lots of excuses) but I have became much better than before. (Linter at my very best.) Mostly because I started watching some recs, and actually reading some strategic articles.

Chewmen is 5 Years old!

[This message has been edited by Chewmen_ldr (edited 04-25-2004 @ 01:59 PM).]

posted 04-25-04 02:20 PM CT (US)     19 / 33  
Good to hear, care for another 1vs1 sometime?

[This message has been edited by Evil_Viking (edited 04-25-2004 @ 02:21 PM).]

posted 04-25-04 02:22 PM CT (US)     20 / 33  
Sometime, Yet I cannot today as I have homework I need to attend to...

Chewmen is 5 Years old!
posted 04-25-04 10:09 PM CT (US)     21 / 33  

Quote:

I have became much better than before. (Linter at my very best.) .

You are 1800 ? b/c thats considered a inter. a "low" inter. would be 1750. And 1700s are usually considerd rooks.

posted 04-26-04 10:59 AM CT (US)     22 / 33  
yeah, i am new, and i havent got any idea about hotkeys and i dont see teh point in using them. why?

Dont break the CoC - Mods can't take competition!

Currently working on - Swimming in Hotel

SP Percentage: 48% (or less even)
MP Percentage: 12% (hardly)

posted 04-26-04 11:20 AM CT (US)     23 / 33  
Well I hope your joking about why would you use hotkeys. But for one it will make you a much faster player.
posted 04-26-04 11:35 AM CT (US)     24 / 33  
Zeem, I'm probably one of the worst players on the Zone and I wouldn't dare play without hotkeys, for what little that is worth
posted 04-26-04 11:39 AM CT (US)     25 / 33  
You're not THAT bad, Tony Sillars. There are some people on the Zone who still don't know what counters what, don't use hotkeys, and don't know what the civ bonuses do.

Hotkeys make the game at least five times easier. Use them.

Quote:

You are 1800 ? b/c thats considered a inter. a "low" inter. would be 1750. And 1700s are usually considerd rooks.

Chewmen_ldr doesn't play rated (at least he didn't).
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Noobie Default Hotkey list
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames