You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Question on NATURE triggers!
posted 11-24-01 10:26 AM CT (US)   
How do you create a snowstorm in age of kings?

and do you know other disasters???

Limp Bizkit rocks !!!
Replies:
posted 11-24-01 10:44 AM CT (US)     1 / 22  
According to all I know, you DON'T

But you can create foolds by making a trigger that creates and then deletes middle bridges

posted 11-24-01 11:31 AM CT (US)     2 / 22  
You can do flooding with use removing bridge b middle's. As for others I'm not so sure .

Discworld Designer!
MY DESIGNS:-] 2002PTC Honourable mention, collaboration with Qazitory
Troll Bridge v1.3, Dragons Lair v1.1
Project Page
posted 11-24-01 12:43 PM CT (US)     3 / 22  
it is posible if read it in an article of SNC Punk. but my winzip is temperarly down. so.... i can't download it !

intelligent ideas are always welcome!!

Limp Bizkit rocks !!!
posted 11-24-01 02:22 PM CT (US)     4 / 22  
From what I remember, use create/remove bridge top/bottoms to create desert terrain.
posted 11-24-01 03:09 PM CT (US)     5 / 22  
Using that, we can create sandstorms!

Floods are old, but I never saw a sandstorm before

posted 11-24-01 04:51 PM CT (US)     6 / 22  
can't someone make a quick scenario about a few disasters?

or screens would be nice

Limp Bizkit rocks !!!

[This message has been edited by Black Samurai (edited 11-24-2001 @ 04:52 PM).]

posted 11-24-01 05:42 PM CT (US)     7 / 22  
I'll make one
posted 11-24-01 05:50 PM CT (US)     8 / 22  
thanks man! and does annybody know how to make cutscenes?

like ...where you see your ally talking and stuff but you can't move? thanks for your help!

P.S. antpocas don't forget to inform me when the scenario is done. ok?

Limp Bizkit rocks !!!

[This message has been edited by Black Samurai (edited 11-24-2001 @ 05:52 PM).]

posted 11-24-01 11:48 PM CT (US)     9 / 22  
Cutscenes are simple.

Quote:
like ...where you see your ally talking and stuff but you can't move?

The best way to make do cutscenes like that is to make an extra player the same civ, name, and color as player 1. Create a unit of player 1 (I like to use a horse) hidden in a corner somewhere and change ownership of your main units of player 1 (that's going to be in the cutscene) to that extra player. Also create a bunch of map revealers so you can see what's going on. Task the units to where you want them to stand. Then add display instruction effects of the people talking and make sure you time them out right. When the cutscene's done, remove the horse and change ownership of the main unit, back to player 1.

If you can't spare an extra player to do that, then loop a task object effect of the main unit to the spot you want him. It wont prevent people from walking away if they forced themselves and it wont always position the unit in the right direction, but it will let the player know he's supposed to be there.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| ´ŠOŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX˜ ||
|| ÄŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
posted 11-25-01 02:43 PM CT (US)     10 / 22  
i'm waiting for more reply's!!!!!

Limp Bizkit rocks !!!
posted 11-25-01 03:04 PM CT (US)     11 / 22  
or what you can do is the "slippery fish" trick thats on SCNPunk...basically, you make:

Trigger 0: Set as Objective: no, Looping: Yes, Starting State: depends on the scenario, if you want you cutscene at the beginning, put it "on"
Condition 0: Object Selected: Player 1, Set Object: your guy that you want standing still
Effect 0: Change Ownership: Source Player: Player 1, Target Player: Player 2 (or whatever), Set Object: your guy that you want standing still
Effect 1: Change Ownership: Source Player: Player 2 (or whatever), Target Player: Player 1, Set Object: your guy that you want standing still

then, when the cutscene is over, put another trigger to deactivate this trigger...

this trigger will let the player move a tiny bit, but its hard to move it, so most people would kind of realize that ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO MOVE!!!

RTS Empire
DA WARRIAH
posted 11-25-01 03:08 PM CT (US)     12 / 22  
maybe a little bit more info on how to do the cutscenes??

and my blizzard?

posted 11-25-01 03:45 PM CT (US)     13 / 22  
Snow storms, eh? Well there is snow and there is a mod that turns one of the flags into snow (But I dont like mods, mods are evil. When I was playing that Conquest of Germania campain with the Roman Mod my game accidentaly froze and I had to turn of my computer. I tried to fix it but to no awail, and now I am stuck with Age of Empires unit creation, unit healing, and unit convertion sound, and if you think I am angry, damb right you are). Thats the best as it can get. Although someone need to try all the bridge types and see if one produces snow. And about the other disasters, hmmmmmmm how about put a bunch of Rock Randomly and damage some buildings to create a Volcano Eruption (plus some saboteurs or petards exploding). And if the Bridge top makes desert why wount just put some bridge tops and remove them so it can become a drought. Another thing, probably you can create locusts by deleting some farms and some trees. About the river of blood and hail I dont have enoght imagination to figure that one out.

[This message has been edited by Lord Anatoly (edited 11-25-2001 @ 03:51 PM).]

posted 11-25-01 04:56 PM CT (US)     14 / 22  
Cutscenes are simple, of course, it helps if your players are immobile so that they arent still having a 'conversation' with some unit across a map.

In scenarios with cutscenes, it always helps to have a bit of water in a corner, a transport ship of an ally and any unit inside it. This helps two ways: if you make a unit disappear and a better version re-appear as an 'upgrade', etc. It also helps in certain ways of cutscenes:

When I do cutscenes, I usually change the players over to some ally's team that uses an AI where the units will not move unless told to do so by the SCN editor. This prevents the "medieval cell-phone" conversations described above. When the cutscene is done, you switch the units' teams back over to the player and they're ready to go.

Of course, sometimes you won't be using the player's units, so it pays to use the unit-in-transport-in-the-corner trick.
Unfortunately, there are so many types of cutscenes I can't list how to do them all here, and which one you're using. But generally, using the Task object triggers and the text-message triggers (either Display Instructions or Send Chat, etc) to move units around, make them face others, etc is what you'd use. Battle cutscenes can be more or less difficult, depending on whether many messages and unit movements are taking place, and whether the warring units are already on the map or not. In the case of units coming in off the map, it can be a severe pain in the butt to work, since you must add Create Object and Task Object triggers for each and every unit that is being spawned.

Maybe if you tell us what kind of cutscenes you need help with, we can help you more. And this is just a basic overview of what you'd need to do per type of cutscene. So, tell us more, and I'd be glad to specialize on one or two kinds.

posted 11-26-01 01:12 PM CT (US)     15 / 22  
hmm.. i know how do do a cutscene, but how do you make sure the units face each other? task the object so that when he stops, he should be facing the other unit?

pardon spelling

posted 11-26-01 06:52 PM CT (US)     16 / 22  
Here's one way:

1. Quake effect: Change View looped in a circle. Be careful to give a 2-3 sec delay per task or the game will crash (Timer: 2-3)
2. Have certain buildings placed on little hills but in front so the hills are unseen
3. Remove some of the buildings after the snowstorm and the hills beneath will look like the buildings are buried.
4. Have any nearby Stone Walls damaged using Damage Object or even partly destroyed
5. Over time, have the villies rebuild/repair their town

If you have a mount with a snowslide:

5. Have the area where the snow raged down the mount as the area crushed
6. Have Rocks shoved down into the town by the snowslide
7. Have a few dead villies, Sheep, Hunting Wolves (dogs), etc.

Some don'ts:
DON'T have damaged buildings: they burn. The wet snow would not make anything burn.

master_thief_garrett@hotmail.com
AI scripter & trigger programmer for The Destiny of Arcadia

Current project: DUNGEONEER: Shadow of Doom (see Profile)
Experience spellcasting and weapon change in realtime; battle a range of monsters from Aboleths to Umber Hulks; fight alongside other heroes in this SIX PLAYER online experience from the maker of the taunt2trig AI.

posted 11-26-01 09:52 PM CT (US)     17 / 22  
As far as making tasked units facing each other:

If you have two units, and one walks up to the other, lets call the walking unit "A" and the unit waiting to be spoken to "B".

If A is in an almost straight or slight diagonal line towards the face of B, A can be tasked to a square directly in front of B's face and will end up looking him in the whites of B's little eyes.

Of course, if you're not in this situation, (EG: B is facing left, and A is approaching from the lower right) you will need to either (1) Make a Task Object effect to turn B around, or (2) Make a small network of Task Object effects and Object in Area conditions to get A in a suitable approach vector toward B. (Think of airplanes lining up for a touchdown course on a runway.)

Hope that helps.

posted 11-26-01 09:53 PM CT (US)     18 / 22  
Black Sunshine, I do not thinkl that bricks will come down from buildings in mass number during a snow storm, so leave out the wall part.

ESO- Whitecrow
Rusky wave attacks ftw!
posted 11-27-01 02:27 AM CT (US)     19 / 22  
You could make a fire by hiding a farm under rubble and damaging it...or you could make a mirage, which is on the scn punk website(I created it). Or you could make an avalanche, flooding, etc....all on scn punk!

Give me money, and I might feel generous enough to say something kind.
--My The Ultimate AOK Guide--
--My The Ultimate AOM Guide
posted 11-27-01 01:26 PM CT (US)     20 / 22  
thanks for the tips man (people)

does someone maybe know a few web-sites with triggers and eye candy.

if seen most of them but...maybe you know a few more

thanks for helping me

Limp Bizkit rocks !!!
posted 11-27-01 02:13 PM CT (US)     21 / 22  
there's another thing...i know if you remove bridges on elevation you get waterfalls

but how do you let your ship to sail that rapid river ? and i'f seen waves created with ice ...how do they make such tiny peases of ice?

Limp Bizkit rocks !!!
posted 11-27-01 07:16 PM CT (US)     22 / 22  
I do not think there is a way to make a ship travel over a waterfall.

ESO- Whitecrow
Rusky wave attacks ftw!
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Question on NATURE triggers!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames