You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: triggers triggers triggers!!!
posted 09-21-04 09:47 PM CT (US)   
people underestimate the power of triggers I for one have dramiticly increased the fun of gameplay in a multiplayer game by using triggers anyone done the same?
Replies:
posted 09-21-04 09:50 PM CT (US)     1 / 32  
*busts out laughing*

*regains composure*

er... yeah i think everyone has except the n00bs

*busts out laughing again*

¯¨´*·~-.¸ SgtSlaughter ¸,.-~*´¨¯
posted 09-21-04 09:56 PM CT (US)     2 / 32  
Be nice, sarge.

Yes, we know the value of triggers. Good stuff, eh?

I'm Your Daddy
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
Can't believe on back on this damned site again.
posted 09-21-04 09:59 PM CT (US)     3 / 32  
No. Great stuff!

M U S I C ! (& other random stuff)
posted 09-21-04 10:02 PM CT (US)     4 / 32  
good finally I can talk to some people that arent noobs and actually KNOW what triggers are
posted 09-21-04 10:04 PM CT (US)     5 / 32  
HEY!
i know what triggers are....

@WW... i was... i could've been mean but i didn't

¯¨´*·~-.¸ SgtSlaughter ¸,.-~*´¨¯
posted 09-21-04 10:07 PM CT (US)     6 / 32  
Freindly warning Sarge, there was a little much laughing in that post. I try hard to make sure that my EP crewers don't screw around too much, and get themselves into trouble.

Are you from the Zone, by any chance chrono?

I'm Your Daddy
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

[This message has been edited by watchwood (edited 09-21-2004 @ 10:08 PM).]

posted 09-21-04 10:09 PM CT (US)     7 / 32  
easy lads u just misunderstood me sarge
posted 09-21-04 10:10 PM CT (US)     8 / 32  
nope I am not from the zone
posted 09-21-04 10:11 PM CT (US)     9 / 32  
A bit of friendly advice for you: Be careful how you put what you are trying to say, some people are easily irritated. And try to use proper grammer, if you could.

I'm Your Daddy
posted 09-21-04 10:28 PM CT (US)     10 / 32  
Yeah...No problem
posted 09-21-04 10:31 PM CT (US)     11 / 32  

Quote:

grammer

Irony.

chono, everyone here knows about triggers. It's second nature, almost like placing terrain. I don't believe there's ever been a good scenario ever created without triggers.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 09-21-04 10:37 PM CT (US)     12 / 32  
But that's not a grammar mistake... spelling

M U S I C ! (& other random stuff)
posted 09-21-04 10:44 PM CT (US)     13 / 32  
RIP, you know as well as I do that that doesn't matter. And I've had enough with you posting spam in SD. Keep it in the TC.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 09-21-04 11:56 PM CT (US)     14 / 32  
Agreed.The Triggers are the heart ans soul of an scenario.

Agreed again, zyx. RIP, please sharpen your answers.

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 09-22-04 01:36 AM CT (US)     15 / 32  

Quote:

chono, everyone here knows about triggers. It's second nature, almost like placing terrain.

comparing triggers to placing terrain? Although basic triggers are easy, they can (and usually do) grow into a spiderweb of complex interaction that can baffle the inexperienced.

@chono I don't think anyone here underestimates triggers, in fact some of the best designers around regularly post here, dl a few scenarios from blacksmith and look at the triggers, and you may see why some have posted as they have.
There are many helpful folks here who will answer any questions you may have. I can't think of another forum where you can get answers to questions about every aspect of AOK & TC AI, mods, rms and SD (although tsuniversity.com has some good articles). If you haven't done so yet, I suggest dl trigger tutorial and maybe a few trigger/trick lists, to get you going.

posted 09-22-04 09:13 AM CT (US)     16 / 32  
Of course triggers are important but... and i say but.. if i hear about a scenario i would much rather a better map than better triggers.. If i was playing a map which had a horrible map and brilliant triggers i wouldnt play it. You need a map to keep you there first.. Triggers just make the experience better ... Thats my opinion :P

²ºº4(¯`'·.¸_ I_N_F_A_R_E_D _¸.·'´¯)²ºº4
Member of DGDN.
Learn the rules so you know how to break them.

posted 09-22-04 11:13 AM CT (US)     17 / 32  
Well, INFARED, I do not agree with you. I personnaly play because of triggers. Even if the map will be top notch, the scenario could have poorly done triggers, and I will for sure will not play that scenario. Also, the story is also important. I would say:
1. Triggers and Story
2. Instruction and Balance
3. Map

That's my opinion

posted 09-22-04 11:37 AM CT (US)     18 / 32  
I can easily sympathise with I_N_F_A_R_E_D. Playing on a poorly constructed Map takes the whole game down a few notches regardless the trigger work involved. Balance is the key issue , and were seeing more and more of that, Multiplayer games included.

Clayper
Team Mentor for AOKH Communal Campaign
Proud DGDN Member
posted 09-22-04 11:57 AM CT (US)     19 / 32  
Well, to be honest I will not play a scenario which map score is IMO less than three... Oh, and I think that the map design for ES campaigns is one and for some scenarios two...
posted 09-22-04 12:17 PM CT (US)     20 / 32  
Well maybe not the first thing i said.. but if it doesnt have a good map i wont play it? End of story for that map... *deletes* Now its going to rot in my recycle bin :P

If the map is good and the triggers and story suck.. maybe i wouldnt play it :P But a good scenario must have a nice map or it turns you off.. Also it needs a believeable map

Member of DGDN.

posted 09-22-04 02:05 PM CT (US)     21 / 32  
Farlander:
I consider your expectations for map design as too high, and maps are not considered that way in a Review. A typical random map is to be considered a 3 in a AOKH Blacksmith Review. The ES maps in genaral are above a random map, and should be considered as a 3 or 4 at least.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 09-22-04 02:34 PM CT (US)     22 / 32  
WOW Really that high :P

Member of DGDN.

posted 09-22-04 03:22 PM CT (US)     23 / 32  
Well, maybe I am a bit too harsh a bit about ES campaigns, still map design for Campaigns in AoC is good, the map design in AoK is... uhhh... not good... i actually after Ulio could not play AoK campaigns... because of map design
posted 09-22-04 09:32 PM CT (US)     24 / 32  
Farlander:
I understood your sentiments about map design, and it is valid as your subjective opinion. Still, it is not my opinion and I also wanted to point out how map design is rated in a review. The Ulio maps probably surpass the threshold for excellence for most enthusiasts.

Also designs and other TC maps in someway were built on and/or gathered inspiration from the best AoK maps...or like many great fan designs the sheer time and effort was greater than Greg Street at ES could afford.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 09-23-04 06:08 PM CT (US)     25 / 32  
Talking of Ulio... i should really play that again

Member of DGDN.

posted 09-23-04 06:53 PM CT (US)     26 / 32  

Quote:

Well, to be honest I will not play a scenario which map score is IMO less than three... Oh, and I think that the map design for ES campaigns is one and for some scenarios two...

ES designed some very good maps, and made use of some unique eye-candy tricks. (Such as the coiling serpent made using water colouring in the Vinlandsaga scenario. They must have had in-house tools to help them with designing, imagine trying to do something like that by hand. )

posted 09-23-04 10:15 PM CT (US)     27 / 32  
*happy sigh*

Triggers..

Triggers are, like said before, the heart of a scenario. Without triggers, the scenario would be dead and you'd just do whatever you'd want with the stuff.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ T H E F R E A K O ________
· Proud Forumer of AOKH ·
posted 09-24-04 02:35 AM CT (US)     28 / 32  
Well, I must say clearer, Lord_Fadawah. The map design of most of ES Campaign scenarios is not very good. And I'm talking about AoK scenarios, because I think that map design of AoC scenarios can get to 4 (Vindland is an aoc scenario)
posted 09-24-04 10:28 PM CT (US)     29 / 32  
I wouldn't call myself a trigger expert and act like we're all below you if I was you, chono.
posted 09-25-04 07:51 AM CT (US)     30 / 32  

Quote:

I wouldn't call myself a trigger expert and act like we're all below you if I was you, chono.

Everyone seems to be so angry in the Forums these days. What ever happened to making new people feel welcome?(Although Ana did say welcome to the Forums to someone in a different topic.)

I think everyone should just cut new people some slack, rather than being rude and provocative.

[This message has been edited by nathbert (edited 09-25-2004 @ 11:50 AM).]

posted 09-25-04 09:32 AM CT (US)     31 / 32  
Welcome to SD chono. You'll learn as much as you want here, yet never master it all. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Nathbert:

Quote:

Everyone seems to be so angry in the Forums these days.

Unfortunately the forums seem to go through these stages now and again. I've been frustrated by it in the past. If you want to check that out, try typing my name in the author search box. I found though that the best thing is to sit back and ride it out. Post anti-inflammatory comments if you wish, but always be fair, neutral and outside the 'argument'. It'll be ok.

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
posted 09-28-04 03:52 PM CT (US)     32 / 32  
There are always some who will flame, or be angry, but they are generally just people with issues. Most forumers will be respectful and happy to explain things to you. Welcome to the forums, and happy triggering!

Baldur's Gate: Design 95%, Triggers 93%, Map 97%
<On hold for now>
Current Build: 116 (Download it here!)

Favorite AOK-related links:
Laws of Map Editor, FAQ,Dragon Design Articles,Random Tips to Improving your Campaign/Scenario, BBCode Reference

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » triggers triggers triggers!!!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames