Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Calling All Scenario Designers
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 03-08-07 01:29 PM CT (US)   
I've decided to include a demo scenario with my Renaissance patch/expansion. Instead of doing it myself, I thought I'd ask for your help, for a change. What I'm looking for is a short, fun and straightforward scenario that demonstrates some (or many) of Renaissance's strengths. Those who sign up will receive a prerelease copy of the final version of Renaissance, including ~100 new units. This will be the foundation on which the scenario is built.

Some rules:

- The sign-up period will last three days (->Sat evening)
- No limit of participants.
- You will be given 14 days to finish your scenario, starting monday 12th.
- Your scenario will be judged mainly on playability, creativity and instructions, and how well it demonstrates Renaissance's strengths.
- The winner's scenario will be featured in the final release of Renaissance.

Bear in mind that I'm NOT looking for an epic, monstrous mega-scenario with 10 minute cutscenes, 10 megs of custom music and a storyline with more twists than the power cord to my sister's hairdryer. Simplicity and sheer fun will be rewarded. Good map design is a plus, but doesn't play a decisive role in this mini-competition.

After the completion of Renaissance I will bid this community a final farewell, so think of this as your last opportunity to work together with me.

To sign up, simply drop your email here.

Replies:
posted 03-08-07 01:46 PM CT (US)     1 / 113  
Yah! First reply! Oliver, you've been a major part to this community and I would gladly help you! My e-mail address is "gary587 at hotmail dot co dot uk"

Who watches the Watchmen?
Still Cristian, proud of it, etc...
"You are an important piece of my puzzle..."
Impaled Saren, executed Illidan, bludgeoned Big Daddy, and exploded Gravemind. What now?
Repent! Xenu is coming! Or so Tom Cruise would have you believe.
Boom. Headshot. Yes, I play FPS's.

[This message has been edited by RPGary (edited 04-07-2007 @ 08:32 AM).]

posted 03-08-07 02:21 PM CT (US)     2 / 113  
Count me in!
Email in profile, and your MSN list

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 03-08-07 03:03 PM CT (US)     3 / 113  
Hi oliver,

I'd like to try.

[edited to protect against SPAM ]

[This message has been edited by WhiteTreePaladin (edited 03-12-2007 @ 03:52 PM).]

posted 03-08-07 03:19 PM CT (US)     4 / 113  
Very good! You'll all get the file as soon as possible.

I compiled the final version just a few minutes ago. Still have some GeniEd2 work to do, but all the new units are added. (By coincidence, halfway through the compiling process, I noticed that my stereo, which provided me with some nice background music while I was working, was playing the Imperial March Theme from Star Wars. Needless to say, I was just waiting for things to go wrong after that, but for once it seems like I had fate on my side. )

[This message has been edited by oliver (edited 03-08-2007 @ 03:19 PM).]

posted 03-08-07 03:24 PM CT (US)     5 / 113  
I want to join this certainly! mail is n/a

''This is madness!''
''Madness? THIS IS HOLLAND!!!''
''What's the difference?''

The 300 Dutchmen will fight in the shade of an oil fountain..

[This message has been edited by Cohort_Crusher (edited 12-20-2010 @ 04:30 PM).]

posted 03-08-07 04:22 PM CT (US)     6 / 113  

Quote:

After the completion of Renaissance I will bid this community a final farewell, so think of this as your last opportunity to work together with me.

I hope you'll come back someday, maybe in a year or two.

And I would sign up, but every single player scenario I make is miserably boring.

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 03-08-2007 @ 04:23 PM).]

posted 03-08-07 04:52 PM CT (US)     7 / 113  
I'll do it!
info@cfsdesigns.com
posted 03-08-07 05:36 PM CT (US)     8 / 113  
Wish I could, but the game I would use it on allready is using a new Dat file. Sorry, wish I could, And good luck!

Quote:

I will bid this community a final farewell

WHAT ABOUT LIGHTNING AND THUNDER?!?!?!

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~

[This message has been edited by Dantares IV (edited 03-08-2007 @ 05:37 PM).]

posted 03-08-07 05:48 PM CT (US)     9 / 113  
Hey Oliver,

I'll give this a go. Yenbena(at)hotmail(dot)com

I have just the idea.

Quote:

After the completion of Renaissance I will bid this community a final farewell

Don't worry, Dantares, I am sure he is just pulling our leg...
posted 03-08-07 05:50 PM CT (US)     10 / 113  
I pray God it may be so. Or that he will give the game to someone else to complete and submitt it.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 03-08-07 06:36 PM CT (US)     11 / 113  

Quote:

I pray God it may be so. Or that he will give the game to someone else to complete and submitt it.

Not a very good idea. I'd rather see it not finished than ruined.

Although, maybe if it was submitted as an open-ended story...

Good luck, ollie.

dannyking.me

posted 03-08-07 07:17 PM CT (US)     12 / 113  

Quote:

I'd rather see it not finished than ruined.

So in other words, there is no better designer than Oliver.

posted 03-08-07 07:26 PM CT (US)     13 / 113  
Who said that?

It would undoubtedly ruin the whole atmosphere if a new style of design started appearing around you in mid-game.

dannyking.me

posted 03-09-07 06:16 AM CT (US)     14 / 113  

Quote:

I hope you'll come back someday, maybe in a year or two.

Preferably in a month or two

Quote:

After the completion of Renaissance I will bid this community a final farewell

I'll send a good-by-gift to Lund.

Quote:

No good, the designer would propably ruin it, even if it was some master, it wouldn't be the same.

Quote:

So in other words, there is no better designer than Oliver.

In my opinion there are, but they're few.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 03-09-07 10:09 AM CT (US)     15 / 113  

Quote:

It would undoubtedly ruin the whole atmosphere if a new style of design started appearing around you in mid-game.

Whatever.

Now that I come to think about it,

Quoted from nI in Oliver's Leaving AoKH:

Feel free to send me L&T for finishing touches.

I shmell a rat.

posted 03-09-07 11:14 AM CT (US)     16 / 113  
I don't see why everyone is crying about the "final farewell"....if you miss him that much, why not start posting at AoE3H.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 03-09-07 11:15 AM CT (US)     17 / 113  
Yet one more great work being scrapped. It is becomign an epidemic.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 03-09-07 11:32 AM CT (US)     18 / 113  

Quote:

I shmell a rat.

Even though that was a joking attempt to sneak a peek at it, you deserve a "touché."

Touché.

dannyking.me

posted 03-09-07 12:26 PM CT (US)     19 / 113  
Silliest debate ever.

Like Scud said, it's not like I'm gonna pull a BJ and disappear from the face of the earth, I'm just leaving AoKH and AoK scenario designing. There are so many other things I have to prioritate, especially now that I'm a cherub of HG's most active community.

L&T is not scrapped, but I can't find neither the time nor the enthusiasm to work on it. I really don't find Renaissance very interesting, either, but I still feel that if I'm going to leave this place, I should at least leave something I can be proud of behind me. People gain interest, people lose interest, that's life.

Back on topic, anyone else interested in signing up?

[This message has been edited by oliver (edited 03-09-2007 @ 12:28 PM).]

posted 03-09-07 03:51 PM CT (US)     20 / 113  
Hey oliver, I'm thinking about it, but a couple of questions,

Do I give the file to you, or submitt it on the blacksmith?

Also, do I just add in the special units and buildings and any other stuff in with the game, or are you looking for something else?

posted 03-09-07 04:58 PM CT (US)     21 / 113  
Well why not, my email-adress is in my signature. Renaissance seems a great mod and it will be great to create a scenario with it.

:Uploaded: The Greece map
:In final stage: Vassal wars, Fall of Rome
:Under construction: The Sassanide Campaign, the real world map pack.

1302AOE@hotmail.be
posted 03-09-07 05:42 PM CT (US)     22 / 113  
Bloody hell, Oliver hurry up with the sending! I have so many ideas, let's just see if I can complete the scenario in 2 weeks. I have two assignments to do by then. But, meh, shouldn't be too much trouble, I'm quite used to working with lots to do. Usually the best way I work.
posted 03-10-07 08:33 AM CT (US)     23 / 113  
I'll join. Can't wait to make that new rpg!

email is: [removed by poster (we really need a PM system here)]

[This message has been edited by ebor_ebor (edited 03-14-2007 @ 08:56 AM).]

posted 03-11-07 06:01 PM CT (US)     24 / 113  
I'm in!

adamtunafish (at) gmail (dot) com

Signature Pending.
posted 03-12-07 00:58 AM CT (US)     25 / 113  
Signup time ended; mass-email sent. If you haven't received it, please let me know.
posted 03-12-07 02:19 PM CT (US)     26 / 113  
i got it. So, what do i have to do? make a gmae with the mod thingy?
posted 03-12-07 02:37 PM CT (US)     27 / 113  
Bah, I forgot to unlock a whole bunch of units. New version sent. Please redownload, everyone.

@King_Philip
Yes, exactly. A short, entertaining scenario that in one or many ways demonstrates Renaissance's new units.

EDIT:
Here's a short installation checklist, just in case more of you have trouble getting this thing to work.

1. Download the file to your hard drive. (Make sure it's the new one, i.e. beta 2.1!)
2. Install the c-patch, if you haven't already. You can get it here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/ageIIConquerers/Update/1.0c/W982KMe/EN-US/Age2XPatch.exe
3. Remove or backup the file empires2_x1_p1.dat in [AoK root folder]/Data
4. Move the file empires2_x1_p1(beta_2.1).dat to [AoK root folder]/Data
5. Remove the "(beta_2.1)" part of the file name.
6. Now you should be ready to rumble!

[This message has been edited by oliver (edited 03-12-2007 @ 02:40 PM).]

posted 03-12-07 03:49 PM CT (US)     28 / 113  
I didn't get it for some reason.

I've sent you an email oliver. (They're both the same - it didn't appear to go through the first time.)

posted 03-13-07 06:18 AM CT (US)     29 / 113  

Quote:

a storyline with more twists than the power cord to my sister's hairdryer.

This one was worth bringing out.
Would have joined if it weren't for the evilness of a mod.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 03-13-07 11:45 AM CT (US)     30 / 113  
Got the file and started designing. I can make a short campaign right? If I get time

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 03-13-07 02:02 PM CT (US)     31 / 113  
Sure, you set your own limits, but don't you think you are, to use a Swenglish expression, "taking yourself water over the head"? (yes, the grammar was supposed to be horrible)

Quote:

Would have joined if it weren't for the evilness of a mod.

You will be enlightened, heathen.
posted 03-13-07 02:39 PM CT (US)     32 / 113  
Oliver , pay no attention to my e-mail, the problem has been fixed

Who watches the Watchmen?
Still Cristian, proud of it, etc...
"You are an important piece of my puzzle..."
Impaled Saren, executed Illidan, bludgeoned Big Daddy, and exploded Gravemind. What now?
Repent! Xenu is coming! Or so Tom Cruise would have you believe.
Boom. Headshot. Yes, I play FPS's.
posted 03-13-07 03:02 PM CT (US)     33 / 113  

Quote:

but don't you think you are, to use a Swenglish expression, "taking yourself water over the head"?

I'll see if I need to make more than one scenario. I doubt it. But in case I have to then its better to ask long before.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 03-13-07 03:40 PM CT (US)     34 / 113  
Oliver,

I haven't got it yet... maybe there's some trouble with the email?

Thanks,
WTP

[This message has been edited by WhiteTreePaladin (edited 03-13-2007 @ 04:02 PM).]

posted 03-13-07 03:52 PM CT (US)     35 / 113  
Oh, before I forget to say this again

WTP, your signature is awesome!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Calling All Scenario Designers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames