Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Voice Acting
posted 11-05-07 08:31 AM CT (US)   
So I'm making my Defend-the-Spot scenario, and the characters have their conversations in audio. I recorded my own renditions of Sir Tinn, King Cal, and Commander Patrick. But I don't think they're particularly good. Or at least not varied enough. Because of the competition, I don't want to ask someone else to voice, but I do want feedback.

Here is a .zip file containing the first conversation. The lines are probably out of order, but you'll be able to gather the story if you listen. No major spoilers. Just tell me if you like it.

“Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.” --Anonymous
Replies:
posted 11-05-07 08:43 AM CT (US)     1 / 11  
Bluntly, I don't think the voice acting is terribly good. I'm assuming that you were attempting to disguise your own accent but it doesn't work at all well. Either use your normal voice (which can't be any less jarring than the attempted accents here, whatever they are meant to be) or become better at impersonating accents.

The actual dialogue is fine, but the voicing... isn't.
posted 11-05-07 10:43 PM CT (US)     2 / 11  
I actually think most of it sounds quite good.

Don't post if you haven't checked this thread.
I am a card-carrying Tsunami Studios member. | Macbeth | Install Script Tutorial | Nineteen Years... | Put a timer in your scenario!
Piece By Piece (2) Progress Bar: | █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ | Download it now!
posted 11-05-07 11:11 PM CT (US)     3 / 11  
Haha some of those cracked me up! "Well I'm Patick...Cal said I should show you my boys" lol and the accents and script is pretty funny

I hear the sound of the jaguar.
Is this a bad omen?
posted 11-06-07 06:29 AM CT (US)     4 / 11  
Indeed, they were pretty good.

Some of them worked well, just others sounded a little deep and comical. Still, if that was your intended effect then by all means carry on!

I wish I could voice-act but as it is my voice sounds pretty crappy and if I might add very embarrasing on audio.
posted 11-06-07 08:56 AM CT (US)     5 / 11  
- The "Foreigners" sound quite bit stereotypical-british-from-movie;
- "Keep you" sounds too nasal;

Some of them sound nice, but others are way too low on volume.
Plus all of them start with a .5 second delay, any sound editing program could help you cutting off that silence.

I can do a rather versatile voice acting, but I currently have no means to record it.
posted 11-06-07 02:02 PM CT (US)     6 / 11  
I could help you out if you write me a script.

I did a bit of work for Sabato III, but BeserkerJerker wanted a scottish voice, and I went inactive, so it never knocked.

Was that scenario ever finished? I watched the cutscenes of Sabato, Keruga and Sabukos for quite a few times.
posted 11-06-07 02:08 PM CT (US)     7 / 11  
I would voice act but:
A: I have a really bad cold
B: My voice is too secksay

[This message has been edited by EpIc CoMmandeR (edited 11-06-2007 @ 02:10 PM).]

posted 11-06-07 02:14 PM CT (US)     8 / 11  
I have quite an unusual voice, which is nice.

Add that to some seriously high end recording equipment - Pro Tools HD and an '87!)
posted 11-06-07 03:27 PM CT (US)     9 / 11  
This is a good effort. They aren't perhaps very varied but it's difficult if you're doing them all.

smokingfrog2: I remember you because of your location. I sometimes wondered what Emma Watson thought of you being in her underwear.
posted 11-07-07 08:14 AM CT (US)     10 / 11  
In fact, I did cut off the delays. And I wouldn't have posted if I thought I was sufficiently talented to make three distinct voices. Yes, the tone is lighthearted; the characters are undisguised stereotypes, I name them all (even the farmers you have to explore to find, and they get saddle sores.

So if I'm hiding my accent, what does my normal voice sound like? I've lived in America from north to deep south, and in Belgium and (currently) the Netherlands. I couldn't tell you myself what my accent is: when I lived in the States they said I sounded European, and here they complain that I talk like a redneck. Same deal with Dutch. Neither country can understand me.

But that's irrelevant, because I've decided instead to just make indiscriminate grunts for inflection, and just display the text. Easier to record (I had to write down the other ones and record them each several times, which bears a strong resemblance to work). Inflected syllables are easy to perform. Reusable. Saves a lot of timing work in triggers. Sounds equally absurd. And even improves filesize, not that it's been a problem. Nh ungh uh!

Edit@smokingfrog: with that name you've got to have a hell of a voice. If you send me something, I'll find a way to use it for novelty's sake. That goes for everyone. Send stuff. Now! Emotions! I want tears, dammit! Real tears!

“Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.” --Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 11-07-2007 @ 08:22 AM).]

posted 11-07-07 09:10 AM CT (US)     11 / 11  
Right, check yer email
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Voice Acting
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames