Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project: Lepanto- 1571 AD
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-09-12 01:57 PM CT (US)   
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DOWNLOAD TEASER NOW!

Context:

The year is 1571, and all of Europe is in peril. The Ottoman Empire continues its war on Christendom with recent offensives against the Venetian city of Famagusta, the island of Malta controlled by the Knights of St. John, and the Kingdom of Hungary. The staunch defense of Hungary by the armies of Christendom has held back the flood of Turks swarming towards the heart of Europe...for now.

While the Turkish armies on the mainland regroup, their massive navy bombards Cyprus, meaning to "deprive the Venetians of an arm" as Mehmed Sokollu put it. Turkish galleys ferry hundreds of troops to Cyprus and Malta, preparing for vast amphibious assaults. If these lands are captured by the Turks, the doorway will be open for naval incursions into Western Europe.

The news of these offensives, part of a two-pronged pincer movement made by the Ottomans, quickly reaches Rome, where the Pope is alarmed by the imminent danger to his holy dominion. Knowing that only a united Europe has any hope of defeating the Ottoman scourge, Pius V summons leaders of all European lands to meet in Rome and discuss this threat. Numerous representatives flock to Vatican City to discuss the threat, although the Pope is most interested in those from militarily able lands. As the battles rage in the Mediterranean and the Balkans, the Pope charges the military representatives of Genoa, Savoy, Aragon, Austria, Venice, and Rome with raising an army and confronting the Ottoman threat.

It is up to you to fulfill the destiny of these men and gather a strong enough force to defeat the Ottomans at Lepanto.

General Information

Originally planned to be my entry to the ESRC12, I have been designing this scenario on and off since June. The idea morphed from a Fixed Force naval battle (a la MCrnigoj) to a comprehensive scenario that covers the historical background of this greatest medieval naval clash. Historical accuracy, always important, plays a large role in this scenario, as minute details and "behind the scenes" action is explored.

In this scenario, you will travel all over the Mediterranean completing several varied minor objectives and recruiting support from the area. Lots of historical information can be garnered from this campaign, while enjoyment is also top priority. Indeed, there is something for everyone in this scenario, except for hardcore B&D.

Scenario Features

-One long scenario, with multiple playable characters and choices, all affecting the final battle.
-Designed on a Giant map so as to fit the maximum amount of land and gameplay features.
-Emphasis on all spheres of gameplay: Map design, story, balance, playability, historical accuracy, and creativity spread throughout the scenario. It is unlikely that many parts will be at all similar.
-Although mostly RPG, there are many other styles: Fixed Force, Defend the Spot, RPS, and a new take on naval battles.
-Fitting music for the period and different aspects of the scenario.

Screenshots

-> An amphibious assault
-> Fortress
-> Waterfall
-> A small port
-> Ravaged countryside
-> A central town square
-> A Venetian bastion on the Adriatic
-> Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta
-> The Venetian colony of Durazzo
-> Coastal countryside
-> Aragonese merchants established a smithy whose architectural style stands in stark contrast with that of the locals.
-> Venetian galleases lie in harbor (more water mixing will be done, just it's one of the last things I do when designing)
-> An Ottoman army prepares for battle
-> Bonus: Peaceful afternoon at a cliffside castle (a CSC entry turned addition to this scenario!)

Designing Progress

Map Design: ~99%
Sound, Bitmap, AI: ~70%
Story/Script: ~70%
Triggers: ~40% (estimated total of 1000 or more)

Overall: ~70%

Playtesting

If you're interested in playtesting, then please say so and I will add you to the list and contact you when I am in need of it!

My email: hockeysam@me.com

HockeySam18

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 08-06-2014 @ 05:38 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-09-12 02:10 PM CT (US)     1 / 53  
Looks pretty cool! I particularily like the screenshot with the small port, although the lower Port looks a bit odd as it covers the road with water. Other than that it looks good though!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 12-09-12 02:25 PM CT (US)     2 / 53  
the lower Port looks a bit odd as it covers the road with water.
Hmm, that is quite a shame. Beta graphics... I will definitely find a solution to that. Thanks for the feedback Basse!

To all: The teaser is in the blacksmith pending approval by a moderator. Once approved, I will link it to this thread.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 12-09-12 03:26 PM CT (US)     3 / 53  
This looks amazing!
posted 12-09-12 03:41 PM CT (US)     4 / 53  
This looks amazing!
Why thank you!

The teaser is now available! You can find it either in the "Projects" section of the Blacksmith, or in the conveniently placed link near the top of the OP.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-09-12 04:39 PM CT (US)     5 / 53  
It's great to see all these new projects and teasers popping up.

And it's also great to see a designer improve the way you did. Keep it up!
posted 12-09-12 08:12 PM CT (US)     6 / 53  
Indeed. Your screenshots look like they were done by an experienced designer. I'll be looking forward to this. Expect it on The Forge soon.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 12-09-12 08:56 PM CT (US)     7 / 53  
Your screenshots look like they were done by an experienced designer.
And it's also great to see a designer improve the way you did. Keep it up!
Wow...I really could not have expected this sort of praise! Thanks a lot, Leif and Panel!
Expect it on The Forge soon.
Looking forward to it!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-10-12 03:44 AM CT (US)     8 / 53  
Aww this would have made a great entry, but anyway- good luck!

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 12-10-12 07:44 AM CT (US)     9 / 53  
Looks very good and promising! But as a suggestion, I would remove the OMTBO or how it's called from the port... well, Beta graphics, as you said.

Seems you have already done a lot so we do not get presented a new "1% finished but idea is there project". Thanks for that!
posted 12-10-12 11:33 AM CT (US)     10 / 53  
Aww this would have made a great entry, but anyway- good luck!
Thank you! Picture it this way- I could probably have rushed and thrown together an ending to enter it in the contest, but then you would be playing a barely average submission, much like my rushed effort in the HHC11. This way, I can work on it at my own leisure without any deadline and produce a project that is worth playing and truly enjoyable for players.
Looks very good and promising! But as a suggestion, I would remove the OMTBO or how it's called from the port... well, Beta graphics, as you said.
Thanks! I had originally planned the OMTBO to be a ship under repair by dockworkers for use in a later part of the scenario, which makes the damaged graphics suitable. What I particularly like is that the outline of the villagers does not show through it.
Seems you have already done a lot so we do not get presented a new "1% finished but idea is there project". Thanks for that!
My pleasure! If you have time, try the teaser!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-10-12 12:17 PM CT (US)     11 / 53  
I did not yet win the fight at the southern outpost, but I marco-polo'd and I say the map looks real good. The only thing I'd recommend would be speeding up the opening battle a bit, as it is a little lengthy. Looks good nonetheless, I especially like the Turkish patrols after they conquer the city.
posted 12-10-12 02:50 PM CT (US)     12 / 53  
I am really looking forward to this, historical scenarios are by far my favourite type of games.

posted 12-10-12 06:27 PM CT (US)     13 / 53  
I marco-polo'd and I say the map looks real good.
Thanks! I've spent a lot of time on it, so I'm glad to hear it paid off! You didn't happen to hit my anti-cheat trap, by any chance...? XD
The only thing I'd recommend would be speeding up the opening battle a bit, as it is a little lengthy. Looks good nonetheless, I especially like the Turkish patrols after they conquer the city.
I had multiple inspirations for this scene. The cutscene before Gunther's Halfdan campaign was a major one, as were works by Great Emperor and many other great designers. I also thought a lot of Saving Private Ryan when I made the opening amphibious assault. However, I did my best to design to my own style, the time period, historical accuracy, and throw a lot of creative touches in there as well. I don't know if anybody has ever purposely created lag in a cutscene before to make it "slow motion" in some parts like in the movies, but now I have. The patrols are a benign but intended feature of the Aggressive AI (thanks to Lord Basse for that!)
I did not yet win the fight at the southern outpost
The Malta fight is a tough one, requiring a lot of micro, rational strategy, and understanding of the mechanics outlined in that specific objective. I promise when I update to not make it so brutal on Moderate or Standard.

If anybody is really stuck, shoot me an email at hockeysam@me.com and I can send you a comprehensive walkthrough or list of pointers. Certain sections are very hard, but winnable.
I am really looking forward to this, historical scenarios are by far my favourite type of games.
They are my favorite to design! I must say, however, that there are scores of awesome scenarios that I have played in the Blacksmith that you should hit up in your free time, like Panel's Successor campaigns and Lord Basse's Gwyndlegard series. Their current works in progress are what I am most excited for and anticipating this year. In the future, I will definitely try my hand at designing a self-invented, original campaign.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-11-12 02:10 AM CT (US)     14 / 53  
They are my favorite to design! I must say, however, that there are scores of awesome scenarios that I have played in the Blacksmith that you should hit up in your free time, like Panel's Successor campaigns and Lord Basse's Gwyndlegard series. Their current works in progress are what I am most excited for and anticipating this year. In the future, I will definitely try my hand at designing a self-invented, original campaign.
This is very true, I am also a great fan of Gwyndlegard and the Successor, it's just that this is a current trend in scenario design while quality historical scenarios are getting less common nowadays which is a shame.

posted 12-11-12 02:20 AM CT (US)     15 / 53  
Your small port screenshot (such as others) is indeed very nice, but I'd advise you (if you don't mind modding a tiny bit) to add shadows below your dock balls (or whatever the name), because they're a bit lacking of realism without it. Apart from that, very good looking!

"Vous vous rendez compte, la France est le seul pays au monde où l'on recycle toujours les mêmes hommes politiques, même lorsqu'ils ont échoué !" Nicolas Dupont-Aignan

AGE OF VOIVODS
Still looking for DANISH, UKRAINIAN, LITHUANIAN and HUNGARIAN voices.
posted 12-11-12 12:19 PM CT (US)     16 / 53  
You didn't happen to hit my anti-cheat trap, by any chance...?
No, I had paused the game in order to avoid losing, as Valetta had just died
The Malta fight is a tough one, requiring a lot of micro, rational strategy, and understanding of the mechanics outlined in that specific objective. I promise when I update to not make it so brutal on Moderate or Standard.
Sounds good, but I still can't imagine how to survive for 10 minutes when I roughly got 2 or 3.
posted 12-11-12 01:15 PM CT (US)     17 / 53  
This is very true, I am also a great fan of Gwyndlegard and the Successor, it's just that this is a current trend in scenario design while quality historical scenarios are getting less common nowadays which is a shame.
ESRC?

that kinda spawned quite a few good historical scenarios, not to mention this game, so I'd say historical games are on the up right now.
posted 12-11-12 01:53 PM CT (US)     18 / 53  
I was talking macrohistorically not microhistorically (is that a word ).

posted 12-11-12 03:14 PM CT (US)     19 / 53  
Your small port screenshot (such as others) is indeed very nice, but I'd advise you (if you don't mind modding a tiny bit) to add shadows below your dock balls (or whatever the name), because they're a bit lacking of realism without it. Apart from that, very good looking!
Thanks Steve! I think for this one I'll not dabble in modding, especially as I don't like the idea of modding to only include one small feature. Therefore, I would also have to mod in everything I thought of that could be made better (and learn to do it all well first) which would add a plethora of work to my project. So I'll probably use the stumps that look like posts instead. On a slightly unrelated note, I am really looking forward to Age of Voivods, whose progress I have been following for a while.
Sounds good, but I still can't imagine how to survive for 10 minutes when I roughly got 2 or 3.
I see that your email is private in your profile. Shoot me an email at hockeysam@me.com and I can send you a detailed list of tips for winning that part. It is a very tactically based battle with lots of important mechanics (all mentioned in the objectives tab at that point).
ESRC?

that kinda spawned quite a few good historical scenarios, not to mention this game, so I'd say historical games are on the up right now.
Speaking of which, I had rather hoped that some of the designers in that contest would update their scenarios, as all of them had great potential. I promised Shieldwolf advice and testing with his next project, but I haven't heard from him for a while.
I was talking macrohistorically not microhistorically (is that a word ).
I enjoy and have ambitions for designing on both levels. In fact, this scenario features both, as it covers not just the main battle but a lot of time around it ~6 months or more I think. The thing is that there was so much going on in the area at the time that it is impossible to ignore events that are seemingly unrelated but actually closely related. I might even do spinoff scenarios later, such is my desire to hit both major and minute pieces of the period.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-18-12 04:23 PM CT (US)     20 / 53  
I have updated the teaser, fixing all problems reported thus far in both this thread and on the file's page.

So if you would, re-download it and give her another go!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-19-12 02:51 AM CT (US)     21 / 53  
Great! I'll try to replay it and maybe write a review before I leave for the holidays.
posted 01-06-13 04:31 PM CT (US)     22 / 53  
Panel, thanks very much for the review!

Progress has been slow lately since I was designing mostly for AoFE over my break, but I have made a little bit of it.

New screenshot: A central town square

If any of you have ever been to Siena, you will understand it.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 01-06-13 04:38 PM CT (US)     23 / 53  
I think you should do this in AoFE. everything you've done so far can be played by AoFE, so it's a pretty easy transition (unless you've got modded .dat files)

EDIT: also, I would do something with that house in front of Joan. move it, make it a bush there or something, but it bothers me in a purely aesthetic way. also: MOAR BUSHES.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker

[This message has been edited by CarolKarine (edited 01-06-2013 @ 04:39 PM).]

posted 01-06-13 09:16 PM CT (US)     24 / 53  
Thanks for the quick feedback, CarolKarine!

Only thing is I don't think the Bush unit and the Grass patch are compatible with AoC. However, it takes place in Italy, so having the Italian set would be nice, so...

I'll likely make an AOK version and an AoFE version.

Eww, that house does need to be moved one step southwest and have some different terrain around it. Too much dirt 2 in the upper left corner.

The bushes are one of my fave GAIA objects though, they will be fairly ubiquitous throughout the map by the time I finish map design.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 01-07-13 10:21 AM CT (US)     25 / 53  
I think you should do this in AoFE.
The problem is that many people do not fully accept AoFE as a default game, especially in Age of Kings Heaven, which is the primary center of Scenario Design

posted 01-10-13 03:20 PM CT (US)     26 / 53  
The problem is that many people do not fully accept AoFE as a default game, especially in Age of Kings Heaven, which is the primary center of Scenario Design
In AoFE, there are definitely some cool new features (5 new civs is sick!, new editor objects, units, techs, balance changes, and fixes), but I also sympathize with the "purists" who prefer vanilla. That is why I will first finish making the vanilla version, but likely also make a version that uses AoFE, since some of the new features could improve gameplay without driving away much (or any) of the audience.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 02-16-2013 @ 10:15 PM).]

posted 12-02-13 11:36 PM CT (US)     27 / 53  
Unarchiving.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 12-03-13 08:46 AM CT (US)     28 / 53  
Thanks, Leif!
I finally moved the files from my old comp over onto my new one, allowing me to do some design on Lepanto for the first time in a couple months. I can't really expect to do any work on it until I'm done with college apps. However, once those are done, I'll have some time for it again. Around that time I'll post some new screenies and a detailed update as well.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-28-13 03:04 PM CT (US)     29 / 53  
Time is still scarce, but I've done a little more work. Some map design (always the fun part!) and a lot of cleaning up in general of the playable part so far, including the map design (some parts that I designed a year and a half ago are not quite up to my standards now).

The scary thing is that there are still about 7-800 triggers to go

For now, another screenshot (can also be seen in the OP):

-> A Venetian bastion on the Adriatic

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-28-13 03:07 PM CT (US)     30 / 53  
Looks good, can't wait until you finish.

......▄▄██▌█
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ )¬,|¯ (¬ /-\ |\| |/¬ |\| | (¬ |-| --|--
▀(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀ You're gonna eat lightnin'and you're gonna crap thunder. - Mickey Goldmill from Rockey II
posted 12-29-13 01:00 PM CT (US)     31 / 53  
That's what she said

Some more map design done today. Some older design was cleaned up:

-> Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta
-> Aragonese merchants established a smithy whose architectural style stands in stark contrast with that of the locals.

...and some completely new design was done:

-> The Venetian colony of Durazzo
-> Coastal countryside

~ Forgotten Empires ~

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 12-29-2013 @ 01:03 PM).]

posted 12-29-13 01:06 PM CT (US)     32 / 53  
Looking better and better! This will be a treat for sure.
posted 12-29-13 01:52 PM CT (US)     33 / 53  
Some excellent work there!
posted 12-29-13 01:52 PM CT (US)     34 / 53  
Thanks Panel and D_E!

I was reading through the comments and review (both on this thread and on the teaser file) and using a lot of the feedback to assure a better experience in the final version. For example, I added in the beginning an option to skip the backstory (basically all parts included in the teaser file) and go straight to the RPG, for those who have either played the scenario before or are not fans of dialogue-heavy cutscenes. Seeing as there are 3 playable RPGs and possibly even more endings, I think most gamers will be thankful to not have to play the same backstory so many times over!

Additionally, there is plenty of design touching-up to do. It's amazing when I look at some of the things that I thought were good design a few years ago but are actually complete garbage that needs a big makeover

I'm also looking for a suitable soundtrack

~ Forgotten Empires ~

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 12-29-2013 @ 01:53 PM).]

posted 12-30-13 03:25 AM CT (US)     35 / 53  
HockeySam18 welcome!!!
I am glad that you chose this historical story!!!
What about the Ottoman Empire?
Plan changes?
For example the new Turkish castle may become the Fort Red tower built by the Turks in 1226 for control of the Eastern Mediterranean.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: Lepanto- 1571 AD
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames