Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ronin
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 08-03-11 07:06 PM CT (US)   

Introduction

This will be the most diverse, darkest, saddest and immersive campaign you've ever played.

Features

- A completely rebuilt modded world designed to enhance the gameplay, environments and emotions experienced. See and fight in a Japan never portrayed in such detail ever before on AOK.

- A large fully playable scenario designed to immerse the player into the storyline perfectly and keep them on their toes and having them do something different through every moment.

- Featuring heart pounding, traditional music specifically sought to fit into each scene perfectly. Many sound effects will also be used to enhance the scenario greatly. (I will be using tracks from varied games and moves; such as this one. Similar to the factions, some of the instruments like the Shamisen were not introduced to Japan until nearer the Shenguko period, however for added tension and immersion and so on I've decided to use certain tracks anyway).

- An array of gameplay styles and events, not one game type. Will see elements of ff, b&d, rpg and will contain cinematics only at the most important times. Many tactical options not just dependant on build and destroy or micromanaging units.

- Master many skills and use them to your advantage depending on the situation. As your journey progresses, you will continually grow stronger and pick up new abilities for which you may use depending on the situation.

- You will gain many friends and companions throughout the game that will follow you. (Yumi, Yari, Naginata, Yabusame and so on).

- Epic Boss Battles!

- Meet many other Japanese legendary units and places such as the Wokou pirates, Shinobi, Sohei Monks and the hidden mountain dwellers called the Yamabushi.

Chapters

Chapter 1: Shadows of a Dark Winter

Style: Fixed Force, Strategy

Chapter 2: Sakura Burning

Style: Fixed Force, RPG

Chapter 3: The Way of the Warrior

Style: Defend the Spot, Build & Destroy

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 09-16-2012 @ 07:48 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-16-11 09:21 AM CT (US)     36 / 82  
I have doors added on my buildings now.

posted 09-24-11 10:39 AM CT (US)     37 / 82  
From Pepp:

posted 09-25-11 02:35 AM CT (US)     38 / 82  
posted 09-25-11 03:01 AM CT (US)     39 / 82  
So am I. I especially like the second one. The only thing that looks of in that pic is the stall with the castle age roof.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 09-25-11 05:22 PM CT (US)     40 / 82  
Will you add new units, like sohei warrior monks, naginata riders or mounted samurais? It would be great.

"Freedom is not given, it is taken." - Kropotkin

If you like historical scenarios, look at my 1453-The Last Siege of Constantinople in the Blacksmith.
posted 09-26-11 05:53 AM CT (US)     41 / 82  
@ Mashek and Leif: Thanks! Absolutely, I've uploaded the second picture to the blacksmith some times ago along with the one towered cathedral, but this new one is better.
posted 09-30-11 05:12 AM CT (US)     42 / 82  
Some more graphics. Btw what's the progress on this project?

posted 09-30-11 05:34 AM CT (US)     43 / 82  
these look fantastic, den cekke. You are definitely improving with every building you make.
posted 09-30-11 09:09 AM CT (US)     44 / 82  
These look great, much improved, especially the second image? Did you pull some of those graphics from a different game?

Progress is up, however, I havn't had any internet for two weeks and will only be back up this weekend. Also my external hard drive has basically died. So when I reinstall a few things (like Photoshop) it will be back on track.

I'll have more to update this weekend when I'm back.
posted 09-30-11 03:11 PM CT (US)     45 / 82  
The first two buildings I got from aok buildings(the market university and blacksmith). The two other are beta graphics of aok I edited(new roofing, walls,...). Btw wouldn't it be cool to have a town on poles and if possible make them build-able only on water or/and shallows?

Too bad for the delay, let's hope you can fix it quickly.
posted 10-06-11 08:02 PM CT (US)     46 / 82  
Will you add new units, like sohei warrior monks, naginata riders or mounted samurais? It would be great.
Thats a good point. The simple answer is yes there will be. Tbh most of the units will be converted to japanese era types, especially the naginata riders. I could probably take this further and have Yumi (archer), ashigaru (infantry such as yari (pikemen) perhaps upgrading to naginata. Morutaru (cannons), Yabusame (cavalry archers) and so on.

There will be Wako (pirates) in it as Tetsuo roams the land looking for support. They'll also be Shinobi and Daimyo heroes.

I havn't planned Sohei monks, but you're right, they should have some presence. Perhaps they could join Tetsuo in the figh against rival lords, though I'll check the history books for any correlations I could use.

The more I get into this project, the larger it becomes. Le Sigh.
posted 10-07-11 00:52 AM CT (US)     47 / 82  
Progess on some new cliff sections. Still very much WIP.

Once I've done these I'll move onto rocks and mountains.

Update WIP.

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 10-07-2011 @ 01:29 AM).]

posted 10-07-11 07:47 AM CT (US)     48 / 82  
TBH, it's about time we see a Japanese-themed mod. Total-conversion or not, I hope you succeed in completing this Tetsuo.

If it makes the workload easier into getting a release, maybe you could set the mod in three phases. The first phase would see just enough to bring adequate changes to the game (the core of which you want) and to be readily playable for downloaders, after which the second and third phase would be major updates bringing all the little intricacies to the mod to further bring depth to it.
posted 10-07-11 11:23 PM CT (US)     49 / 82  
TBH, it's about time we see a Japanese-themed mod. Total-conversion or not, I hope you succeed in completing this Tetsuo.
Cheers Mashey!

I hope so too

Anyway, Just a quick update on the cliffs. I've finally settled on a design I like.

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 10-07-2011 @ 11:39 PM).]

posted 10-08-11 00:34 AM CT (US)     50 / 82  
Nice texture on the rocks. The roughness is a lot more realistic than the previous two.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 10-08-11 08:58 AM CT (US)     51 / 82  
Nice texture on the rocks. The roughness is a lot more realistic than the previous two.
Thanks, Lief.

I'll try and get the cliffs finished this weekend and rendered in the proper angle. I know I'll lose a lot of the detail with 256 colours, but it will still look better than a simple texture and basic block out.

P.s I downloaded a program the other day called World Machine.

You can get the Basic version free (suitable for AOK stuff with 513x513 rendering) but it's not expensive to buy either. I havn't tried it yet, but I watched some guy use it for making terrain in CryEngine and it looks really cool.

Definately useful if anyone wants to try it for modding AOK, it's free for none commercial and is unlimited use. Good for mountains or cliffs and stuff.

If you download Blender (for free) you can export the heightmaps of your mountains from World Machine and then render and texture the model for use in AOK.

There is a tutorial for it here.

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 10-08-2011 @ 09:03 AM).]

posted 10-08-11 10:31 AM CT (US)     52 / 82  
And you can make terrain tiles with this program? Btw what program do you use to make the cliffs? Blender?

[This message has been edited by den cekke (edited 10-08-2011 @ 11:02 AM).]

posted 10-08-11 12:12 PM CT (US)     53 / 82  
And you can make terrain tiles with this program?
I've no idea, I've not installed it yet. Ultimately, you create a plain and add any details you want. You can export the diffuse map and edit it in Photoshop to make it more detailed. You can then apply the texture back to the plain and render it. Whether this is suitable for AOK I don't know.
Btw what program do you use to make the cliffs? Blender?
I use a mix of 3ds Max and Zbrush. I start by modelling a low poly 'blockout' in Max, and then progressivly add detail as I go in Zbrush. Then finally rendering and texturing in 3ds max again.

However, you can do all of this in Blender, as it doesn't just offer modelling but sculpting as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1iTiDnmME

If you're a student you can get 3ds Max for free (on certain conditions). I'd also recommend getting Mudbox (instead of Zbrush) as you can get that free as well, and the standard brushes are really good at creating natural environmental objects (like rocks and cliffs etc).

http://students.autodesk.com/

Otherwise, you can buy Zbrush and get like 50% off.

If you're not a student, they can be expensive options. As I mentioned in the Modding Guild, depending on how serious you are or how much you need them then I wouldn't bother buying them and just get Blender (Zbrush or Mudbox is $700-750 and 3ds Max is £3,422.00).

http://www.pixologic.com/store/

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 10-08-2011 @ 12:28 PM).]

posted 10-08-11 05:34 PM CT (US)     54 / 82  
£3,422.00 O_O. You can buy a car for that amount of money. Good that I'm a student.
posted 10-13-11 10:28 PM CT (US)     55 / 82  
I was asking about new units because I also have a first draft of project about medieval Japan (most of the story is written), after my current project will be done. The action will be set during Sengoku Jidai period, and I started to look a bit how to mod it to make it more realistic. I don't have problems with data editing, so it's easy for me to create Yari Ashigaru with Spearmen or Naginata Samurais with Halberdiers, but I don't know how to create new graphics. So making Sohei Monks, Naginata Riders, Sword Ashigaru and Mounted Samurais is quite problematic...

If you like historical scenarios, look at my 1453-The Last Siege of Constantinople in the Blacksmith.
posted 10-14-11 03:12 AM CT (US)     56 / 82  
Hm,

Can you can email the details and I'll check back with you tonight? Perhaps I can help you create some graphics, or we can figure out if theres a way to conglamerate the campaigns together - if you want.

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 10-14-2011 @ 03:15 AM).]

posted 10-14-11 10:18 PM CT (US)     57 / 82  
I will not forget the suggestion, but I must say that most of the work done is into a notebook (in a strange mix of French and English, with few japanese words here and there)... It's a bit hard to send this via e-mail, and if I'm exploring a bit data-editing, I don't think that I will really start scenario editing before Christmas.

Now, an overview of the story. Globally, my idea is to make a single player scenario, in which the main characters will be two brothers, called Ketsuke and Keshim. At the beginning, they will be separed during a battle, and the player will have to choose the one he will follow. Keshim will become a glorious Taisho, Ketsuke, a ronin. So there will be two parallel stories that will, two opposed paths that will finally join them at the end. All this during a war between daimyos and an attempt by one of those to take the control of Kyoto and killing the Shogun.

I think to include also some objects and traits that characters will gain during their travels and battles, and allow them to increase their fighting or commanding skills as the game go.

As I said, what you propose is interesting, but the idea is now nothing more than... an idea with some details added around it. In the other hand, I'm looking at all of those building graphics, and I'm a bit jealous... Maybe we can share a mod to do our own campaigns: it seem that we want to set it during the same period. The last thing is that I'm not entirely sure that I will finish it. Two stories in one scenario will represent a lot of work for the quite unexperimented designer that I am. But, before, I must finish my "814-The Battle for Europe".

At last, can I know more about what you want to do?

posted 10-15-11 03:26 AM CT (US)     58 / 82  
Your project sounds interesting, I like the idea of parallel story lines.

Judging by the time frames it's probably best off just doing things individually. However, once your ready to do your own campaign let me know.

If I've finished Ronin by then feel free to use it's assets and buildings and stuff. No point having it just for one scenario and it might inspire more Japanese scenarios in future.

What I will say is that Ronin's data file is so far all mumbo jumbo and graphics are all over the place. Perhaps once I've released it I'll reorganise the data files so that it's easier for people to re use and develop on.
posted 10-15-11 06:45 PM CT (US)     59 / 82  
That's fine for me. Be sure that you will be the first to know when I will start the scenario.

posted 01-03-12 06:56 PM CT (US)     60 / 82  
If anyones interested I've updated the topic with some major game updates. Progress is now up to starting triggering and maps design, as well as just finishing off some key monuments in the battles and locations that Tetsuo visits.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Uji_(1184)

The Battle of Uji - February 19, 1184. Finally Tetsuo has caught up with the general, Minamoto no Yoshinaka, the man who killed his father and left most of Tetsuos old province in flames. Tetsuo, fighting alongside Minamto no Yoshitsune and Benkei, managed to defeat the army of Yoshinaka.

Unfortunately, Yoshinake fled the battle, but the victory was the first step in Tetsuo gaining his long sought revenge. This mission is followed up soon afterwards by the battle of Awazu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Awazu

The battle of Uji was mainly fought on the Uji River, right near the Byodo-in Temple. http://www.taleofgenji.org/byodo-in.html

And for that, I bring to you - the Byodo-in temple.

It's not completely finished yet, and I've not yet textured it and the lighting needs some tweaking, I'll probably render it larger too so it's not the same size of a house - it will be completed over the next few days. You will lead Tetsuo and his allies into the battle, right next to this monument of classical Japan.

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 01-04-2012 @ 00:10 AM).]

posted 01-04-12 01:08 AM CT (US)     61 / 82  
i have made more graphic hope theyre usefull

http://imageshack.us/g/839/dojo1.png/

(use this bitmap not the one in collection)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/815/dojo1.png/

[This message has been edited by monsterslayer (edited 01-04-2012 @ 01:14 AM).]

posted 01-04-12 02:36 AM CT (US)     62 / 82  
The mods, the features, everything I see in this thread look magnificent and make me believe this is going to be the best campaign ever. Really can't wait to play the first scenario when it's finished. Good to know that you're making actual progress.

By the way, your banner always looks great, Seb. Do you mind if I request one for my project when you're not too busy?

/\NDANU "WHORACLE" TRISATY/\
~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~
Member of StormWind Studios & BlackForest Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
posted 01-04-12 04:00 AM CT (US)     63 / 82  
that model really looks great...this is going to be sweet.
posted 01-04-12 02:18 PM CT (US)     64 / 82  
i have made more graphic hope theyre usefull
Thanks monsterslayer, they look great! I'm going to be putting together all the graphics soon (including the ones on this thread that I'll be using) so I will definately fit them in if I can. I like the trees you've done for them, but if you do make anymore buildings can you refrain from adding trees to them? It's just I'll be modelling some new ones anyway and need to make sure there is a 'pattern' if you get me. Just to make sure they all look similar and fit into the right style.
The mods, the features, everything I see in this thread look magnificent and make me believe this is going to be the best campaign ever. Really can't wait to play the first scenario when it's finished. Good to know that you're making actual progress.

By the way, your banner always looks great, Seb. Do you mind if I request one for my project when you're not too busy?
Thanks a lot dude! Kind words indeed, I certainly hope it matches or exceeds your expectations. And about the banner, sure thing! Just let me know when you need it for.
that model really looks great...this is going to be sweet.
Thanks once again
posted 01-04-12 03:28 PM CT (US)     65 / 82  
Yeah that model looks really great. Good job.
If you are still looking for graphics, these two I made for the age of crusades mod.

If it keeps going like this you'll soon have enough graphics for an actual mod=D.
posted 01-04-12 06:35 PM CT (US)     66 / 82  
more graphics

http://imageshack.us/g/854/dojo3.png/

[This message has been edited by monsterslayer (edited 01-04-2012 @ 06:35 PM).]

posted 01-05-12 01:01 AM CT (US)     67 / 82  
And about the banner, sure thing! Just let me know when you need it for.
Hein?!? These banners are coming from your hand? Woah... Please, say me that you work as an illustrator or something like this, because you are a true master.

posted 01-05-12 03:31 AM CT (US)     68 / 82  
This is looking better after every update. Great job, Tetsuo!

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 01-05-12 07:51 AM CT (US)     69 / 82  
Hein?!? These banners are coming from your hand? Woah... Please, say me that you work as an illustrator or something like this, because you are a true master.
Ha, no - I wish. What I added was actually quite simple. To save any confusion the artist is a fantastic illustrator named artgerm (sig is in the image). He did a whole series called 'Samurai Spirit' which is why I've had enough images to rotate the banner designs.

Like this one...

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 01-05-2012 @ 07:52 AM).]

posted 01-05-12 02:22 PM CT (US)     70 / 82  
I'm working on a scenario, could i use some of the graphics?

Currently working on:

Modern Warfare (Mod): 10%
I changed the plans for it, i'm now making some kind of near-future mod that keeps the main structure and tree of AOK. 5 civs with 2-3 UUs planned for now.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Ronin
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames