You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Relics of Athalën - Released!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8 ··· 20 ··· 23  Next Page »
posted 04-17-12 01:09 PM CT (US)   

Download here!

Watch the first scenario of the campaign, "Secrets of the Old Kingdom", on YouTube:

This is the sequel to Gwyndlegard, its bastard child/spin-off The Epic Adventures of Marvin & Rob, and The Rockspring Revolution. If you haven't played any of them yet, well, you have plenty of time to go through them before this campaign gets released! IT'S TOO LATE FOR THAT NOW!

STORY:

This campaign starts right where The Rockspring Revolution left off. Our hero Immanuel returns to his home province of Gwynhill, and his soon-to-be-wife Emily. Immanuel longs for peace and quiet, and the opportunity to finally marry his beloved girlfriend, and for a short while it looks as if his dreams will come true. But a campaign isn't very interesting if it's all peaceful and quiet, is it?

Out in the ocean, at a top-security prison, five iron-clad, monstrous ships show up at the horizon. They blast a hole in the wall of the prison, and its most dangerous prisoner escapes. Xaphira, the former Queen of Xioché, is on the loose.

The news travel swiftly to Gwynhill, and the local priest and recovering alcoholic Father Garnas is very troubled by it. For the past two years he has been studying an artifact that was used in the war against Xaphira (as seen in "Gwyndlegard"), The Relic of the Rock, and he has made some astonishing discoveries. He believes that it is one of the four Relics of Athalën, immensely powerful artifacts created by the ancient king Athalën, the man who founded and ruled the Old Kingdom for a thousand years. Father Garnas fears that Xaphira knows of the relic, and that she is coming to Gwynhill to get it. He thinks that she too knows of the power of the four relics: that with them you can shape the world completely as you wish to see it, and possibly live forever. And indeed he is right, and Xaphira comes as a thief in the night and snatches The Relic of the Rock away.

It is now up to you, as Immanuel, to make sure Xaphira doesn't get her hands on all four of the relics.

ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN:

Whereas The Rockspring Revolution was an idea that popped into my head a week or two before I started working on it, The Relics of Athalën is a project I have had plans for ever since I started designing Gwyndlegard back in 2008. It has, of course, evolved a lot over the years, especially in the last few months. It is the third and final installment in the Gwyndlegard series, and when it's finished it will be the biggest project I have ever completed; and complete it I will!

In this campaign the Gwyndlegard universe expands in pretty much every direction: you get to play in several new countries and locations, and you get deeper insight into the history of the Old Kingdom, the art of magic in this world, and a lot more. If you really like this series, you will be able to obtain a lot more information about the world and the story through various side-quests. If you just want to play it for the action and boss fights, well, you can do that too!

FEATURES:

• A 7 scenarios long campaign!
• An epic in the literal sense of the word - quite likely bigger in gameplay hours than "Gwyndlegard" and "The Rockspring Revolution" combined!
• Emphasis, as usual, on the storyline, humour and atmosphere, although I try to spruce it up with new ideas for gameplay as well!
• Various gameplay styles: pure B&D, Fixed Force, one-on-one boss fights, and RPS,
• A vastly expanded universe,
• Music from a wide range of composers, including Ramin Djawadi, Howard Shore, Russell Shaw and Kevin MacLeod.
• And finally, but definitely not least, one of the key features: extensive modding.

Now, before you break out the tar and feathers, light the torches and get out your pitchforks, let me say some last words in my defence!

BUT WHY BASSE!? WHY MODDING!? WHY DESTROY WHAT'S SO PURE AND WONDERFUL!?!?!!??!!??

As some of you might recall from my early days, I was never too fond of mods myself. I didn't hate them, and I did some data-edited scenarios myself, but I never really did too much with it. I thought that, if you were to use a mod you should use it enhance the scenario or campaign you were doing, and not use it as some gimmick just because you thought it was cool. That very same reasoning is why modding was an obvious choice when I started planning this campaign.

There are many parts of this campaign that could never have been made with just vanilla AoK and Trigger Studio, and in some instances doing a modded work-around, instead of extensive triggering and using beta units, meant saving hours and hours of work. With modding I'm able to focus on more interesting things than micromanaging 200 triggers for a 3.minute scene - i.e. everything else.

BUT MODDING IS FOUL AND EVIL!

Oh come on!

*sigh* Okay. So what does this mod do?

I'm glad you asked!

• The campaign comes with roughly 400 new units: while a lot of them work "behind the scenes", so to speak, you will get new enemies to face, unique heroes, new eye candy units, and much more,
• It allows for vastly improved indoors scenes (see screenshots), new gameplay features and improved boss fights,
• It adds multiple all new castles and other buildings,
• and much more.

Credits for this mod go to several people, whose material has in some way been included in the mod, most prominently Matt LiVecchi (from "The Quiet Dawn") and Agamemmnon (from his expansion). A full list of people will come in the campaign credits.

SCREENSHOTS:

| Gates of the Old Kingdom | An army has amassed | An indoors scene | Up on a rooftop | Into Xioché | A peaceful monastery | Bigass Castle | An abandoned city | A faraway village | Naval action | A quick stop in Arthalien |
| A monument in the mountains | Mountain stream | At long last (Christmas Special!) | Abandoned mineshaft | Another (improved!) indoors scene

Extras:
| Underground Stairway | Running in circles | Xaphira's new powers | Accidental Badassery

Alpha screenshots:
| Walkable walls | Bigass Castle 1 | Bigass Castle 2 | Bigass Castle 3 | Some action | Multi-layered castle sort of | Castle with walkable walls and bigass gate | Lil' boat | Trying out some indoors scenes | In-game titles |
| Prison, random fires and a jetty | Old dark stairway

SCENARIOS:

Legend: Completed | Under development | Not started

1) Secrets of the Old Kingdom | In this 50-minute cinematic scenario, you are introduced to the Father of the Old Kingdom himself, Athalën, as well as the demise and fall of the Old Kingdom. After that we switch to the present, and Immanuel returns to Gwynhill, and the events described further up in the "Story" section take place.

2) Dark Clouds over Xioché | Immanuel and his close friends arrive in Xioché with their army. You must get to King Wellon of Xioché and find out if he is conspiring with Xaphira to get the relics, and to do so you must conquer the three great castles in the region and have a personal... chat with King Wellon. You know, make him an offer he can't refuse.

3) Chasing Shadows | In which darkness surrounds our heroes...

4) On Distant Shores | Boats. Boats, everywhere! Well, not everywhere. Just in some places. Like docks. But that doesn't sound as dramatic.

5) Red Sails in the Sunrise | In which we reference a Louis Armstrong song and watch another cinematic.

6) The Forgotten Island | In which the plot thickens, the mysteries deepen, and our heroes fix their forces, build some and destroy some, and roleplay the shi-strategy out of their enemies!

7) Last Stand of the Goddess | In which sh*t goes down!

PROGRESS:

Scenarios: All 7 completed
Story: 100%
Modding: 100%
Music & sounds: 100%
Bitmaps: 7 / 7

Overall progress: 100%

PLAYTESTING:

Playtesting was conducted early in 2012, and again in September of 2013. A few rounds of final testing was conducted by HockeySam18 in early 2014, prior to the release of the campaign.

Playtesters:
• Tetsuo Shima
• Devestator
• Lord Sipia
• Popeychops
• BF_Tanks
• CarolKarine
• Gimley307
• Knaber
• Henry33333
• HockeySam18
• Julius999

(To see more details, open up the image in a new tab)

A StormWind Studios production.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 05-01-2014 @ 04:01 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-18-12 06:41 AM CT (US)     176 / 795  
Why did you create an extra account, shieldwolf?

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 05-18-12 06:55 AM CT (US)     177 / 795  
Why did you create an extra account, shieldwolf?
From what I understood, he lost access to his old one somehow.

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late
posted 05-18-12 07:00 AM CT (US)     178 / 795  
I've taken you off the list, Shieldfwolf. Shame you couldn't get it to work.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 05-18-12 10:39 AM CT (US)     179 / 795  
Well, most of the things I noticed have already been reported on. However, I can add that you mentioned researching forging would help in the 1-on-1 when infact this doesn't work. When I researched it, there was no improvement (On pretty much anything I had to begin with.). This is because the units aren't mine to begin with. They are converted, so techs don't affect them.

Also, I won the duel by surrounding the arena with crossbows. You might want to think of a work-around for that. :P

Attacking the capital seemed pants easy. I just set up little treb spots and nailed all the castles with no real resistance. (I was playing on Standard. In Moderate there was more resistance, but it was still as if the AI was sitting there like "Oh no I'm being attacked.. Oh just send out something.. Let me get back to sleep")

Also, after winning over Lord Purple, Lord Orange's attacks seemed to stop. I don't know if this is because Purple was attacking him *with three archers at a time* or because my defences were just winning without me noticing anything - but I definately saw a decline in attacking forces. I thought this might be deliberate though, as when I got to Orange's castle there was a tidal wave of resistance.

I found all the books, but in the chat it said I had found "#/4" yet in the Herpyderpy objectives, I only had to find three books of ultimate Derp. Which I read them all to the end. Spoiler alert: Derp derps the derp

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
posted 05-18-12 11:06 AM CT (US)     180 / 795  
Also, after winning over Lord Purple, Lord Orange's attacks seemed to stop. I don't know if this is because Purple was attacking him *with three archers at a time* or because my defences were just winning without me noticing anything - but I definately saw a decline in attacking forces. I thought this might be deliberate though, as when I got to Orange's castle there was a tidal wave of resistance.
Must be coincidence then, because they kept on attacking as normal for me. :S

I have found a couple of balance issues now.

-The curse of Devil Swine Woods was rather deceptive when I played it; first, you have to kill two boars just standing there, which is piss easy if you micromanage a little, but when you proceed on... OMFG IJUSTGOTCHARGEDONBYFOURBOARSWHICHIDIDNOTSEECOMINGDUETOSHORTLINEOFSIGHTANDTHEY'REALLOVERMEAND- dead. Your average standard player WILL die at this point.

-Once your foes start attacking after 3/6/12 minutes, you're immediately at the hardest part, IMO. With two lords attacking you at once, you sort of have a hard time, especially with their technological advancements, but oh well, a competitive challenge it is. However, when you defeat Lord Geistrix, the other guy doesn't get any harder, meaning you just nearly halved the difficulty. It DOES finally gives you the freedom to scout around a little and do some of the sidequests at your leisure (that reminds me; some sidequests like the Crucible are hard as it is, but managing your town AND duelling at the same time isn't a fair challenge)... However, getting a punch of enemy attacks at first and getting only half the attacks coming from one side only later on defies all logic. I'd suggest making Purple weaker, but defeating him causes the other guy to attack much fiercer/gain support from the Capitol/both.

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"

[This message has been edited by Lord Sipia (edited 05-18-2012 @ 11:07 AM).]

posted 05-18-12 01:43 PM CT (US)     181 / 795  
Lord Sipia is correct, Devestator. I was updating my e-mail (as requested by panel) when I inadvertently used underscores instead of dots in my e-mail account. Thus, the activating password is sent to an account that is not existing and cannot be created (gmail doesn't recognize underscores). Lost 4 years of history and access to my Empire Earth Heaven scenarios.

As to this new account, I decided that "schildwolf" although shieldwolf in German, can be mis-read as S-child-wolf by English speakers. I'd rather have darian blaidd, which is Welsh for shieldwolf.

Lord Basse, I won't quit searching for other versions. This campaign alone worth the effort to try to find one. For now, I just feel that it will be unfair for the whole PT team and you to wait for me.

I am Shieldwolf23, but because I was half-awake when I updated it, I got that account forever lost to me.
posted 05-18-12 03:27 PM CT (US)     182 / 795  
I dont get it... you changed the email adress of HG to a one that doesnt exist and cannot be created... but cant a Seraph or even higher staff just manually reset the password?

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 05-18-12 10:54 PM CT (US)     183 / 795  
The beginning of it is pretty much a rush to build walls and towers around the generously large area you start in. I didn't have much trouble fighting off attackers by the time I had made a fortress of walls and castles.

posted 05-19-12 02:41 AM CT (US)     184 / 795  
Well, I requested panel to help me out, he told me he has informed Leif, and I for one put a similar request in EEH (Soty said he'll help me), but for now, there's nothing I can do yet, I thought to myself "might as well create another account (I sure hope and pray I won't be punished, having too many accounts

@Lord Basse - new screen shots, preferably on the third scenario please? just to wet my appetite more.

I am Shieldwolf23, but because I was half-awake when I updated it, I got that account forever lost to me.
posted 05-19-12 07:40 AM CT (US)     185 / 795  
I still hope it can get solved, Shieldwolf. It just takes a while to get to the higher-ups, I guess
posted 05-20-12 03:05 AM CT (US)     186 / 795  
thanks panel

posted 05-20-12 03:31 AM CT (US)     187 / 795  
The situation should be sorted out now. I thought they emailed you about the fix, but I suppose not.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 05-20-12 07:04 AM CT (US)     188 / 795  
I love you very much Leif, panel, all the admins here in AOKH and in Heaven Games! :*

My Profile in Empire Earth || Latest Submissions Two Flags: Battle for Africa ||Jun 2023
My Profile in Age of Kings || Latest Submission Shadows of Betrayal || August 2012
AOK Designer of the Year 2012
Core Team Member & Site Co-Administrator,Empire Creations
posted 05-20-12 07:06 AM CT (US)     189 / 795  
Congrats on getting your acc back, shieldwolf!

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 05-20-12 07:13 AM CT (US)     190 / 795  
thanks for the concern and support, devestator!

My Profile in Empire Earth || Latest Submissions Two Flags: Battle for Africa ||Jun 2023
My Profile in Age of Kings || Latest Submission Shadows of Betrayal || August 2012
AOK Designer of the Year 2012
Core Team Member & Site Co-Administrator,Empire Creations
posted 05-20-12 08:31 AM CT (US)     191 / 795  
I'm currently having a lot of work editing a couple of short films, which is why I haven't responded to any comments in a while. I'll get down to it as soon as things calm down.

As for screenshots, well, I think giving any screenshots of the third scenario would ruin the surprise and theme of the scenario. You'll see what it is when you play it.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 05-20-12 12:08 PM CT (US)     192 / 795  
All right, I finished the second scenario now; here are my final notes.

Grammar/Spelling errors:
-King Wellon: “A single soldiers” should be “A single soldier”.

Map design:
-The sunlight from the window in the cutscene with King Wellon is upside-down.

Story inconsistencies:
-When investigating the monument between your base and Geistrix’s, Emily says a line, even if she hasn’t arrived yet. The same goes for the beach near that Caraparos-whatever guy’s castle.

Other notes:
-“Your king is another castle!” Ooooh, that one got me.
-"Let's rock." Hell yea.

posted 05-22-12 01:34 PM CT (US)     193 / 795  
Ive uploaded a small music pack, might wanna take a look it it

http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=11298 Still needs to be approved well thats done very quickly

I like that smiley

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel

[This message has been edited by DEVESTATOR (edited 05-22-2012 @ 02:05 PM).]

posted 05-22-12 02:11 PM CT (US)     194 / 795  
Evil dark orchestral choir battle
I prefer this one.

Also, this is more my idea of heroic battle

And lastly, Basse, I have the idea this could be a really good boss theme somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sipia (edited 05-22-2012 @ 02:17 PM).]

posted 05-22-12 02:18 PM CT (US)     195 / 795  
Evil dark orchestral choir battle
Or this one
posted 05-22-12 02:49 PM CT (US)     196 / 795  
Or this one
Sorry, too much troll warring about Sephiroth on the internet, can't give a clear opinion.

posted 05-22-12 03:26 PM CT (US)     197 / 795  
The main thing i am trying to achieve with that utility, is not to share the best music, but the music you dont just find lying around somewhere
I prefer this one.
Awesome, but not really the theme of a choir orchestal battle
Also, this is more my idea of heroic battle
And lastly, Basse, I have the idea this could be a really good boss theme somewhere.
Immanuel runs after xaphira, she is trying to escape but lures him into a trap.

Something like that?
Or this one
Sounds like a 50's horror movie xD

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 05-22-12 03:31 PM CT (US)     198 / 795  
Sorry, too much troll warring about Sephiroth on the internet, can't give a clear opinion.
Sephiroth is the most badass character ever.
posted 05-22-12 03:35 PM CT (US)     199 / 795  
Sephiroth is the most badass character ever.
...And yet there's another group of people who say he's a complete mama boy. There you have it, one troll war pour vous. No one tries to make sense or accept another person's opinion. Which is why I stay blank on that part.

posted 05-27-12 10:05 PM CT (US)     200 / 795  
Nothing's to say that Mama boy's can't be badasses.

Any updates for the project, Esquire Captain Field Commander Lord Basse?

posted 05-28-12 06:05 AM CT (US)     201 / 795  
I've made another small portion of the third scenario, but I have a lot of film work to do right now, which means I probably won't be working on this for another week or so. I will get back to this as soon as I can. I've read all the reports I've received though, and everything you've written has been noted.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 05-28-2012 @ 06:07 AM).]

posted 05-28-12 01:55 PM CT (US)     202 / 795  
Keep up the good work Basse! I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this more than I did Gwyndlegard.

Man, Dann, you sure did wipe the... flor... with him on that one! BAM! OOO! ~ Aro
posted 06-03-12 07:47 AM CT (US)     203 / 795  
Just to show that this isn't dead or on hold (for any longer stretch of time at least), map design and triggers on the third scenario are both up to 65%.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 06-03-2012 @ 08:42 AM).]

posted 06-03-12 08:05 AM CT (US)     204 / 795  
What? :O

Also, Basse, i think you forgot to upgrade your sig xD

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 06-03-12 08:12 AM CT (US)     205 / 795  
To both sentences: what?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 06-03-12 08:26 AM CT (US)     206 / 795  
1st one: OMFG Progress
2nd one: You forgot to put this thread in your signature xD

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 06-03-12 10:17 PM CT (US)     207 / 795  
Somehow, looking at Basse's project thread always encourage me to resume working on my project. Thanks for being an unintentional motivator, mate. \

Also, MOAR PIX PLZ

/\NDANU "WHORACLE" TRISATY/\
~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~
Member of StormWind Studios & BlackForest Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
posted 06-06-12 06:20 AM CT (US)     208 / 795  
You're welcome!

Map design up to 85%.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 06-06-12 08:30 AM CT (US)     209 / 795  
of an estimated 300 400
Ohh, are you gonna do this again? Drop the estimations, they're hardly representative.

posted 06-08-12 09:46 AM CT (US)     210 / 795  
Hey man, at last this is me posting from my new PC From now on i will be able to playtest for you!

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8 ··· 20 ··· 23  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Relics of Athalën - Released!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames