You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project: Treat (In lack of a better name)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-31-14 06:43 AM CT (US)   

A multiplayer game of intrigue, bartering, diplomacy and trade. For between 5 to 7 players

By: Lildbehr

Idea:
The idea of this project was to create a different type of playing. One that doesn't include you building anything. But instead trade and conspire against other players. The idea came from an old board game I played some years ago, named Junta. It's basically a game of power where you try, using diplomacy and military action, to take as much money from your good for nothing "Banana Republic" and put in you Swiss bank account.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gameplay:
Your goal, as is all the others is to earn as much gold as possible. As simple as it sounds, this is where you need to use your all well-learned politeness to sway the opinion to your favour. There are six political positions that you can acquire, which are chosen by the king. Here follows a ranking of the positions:

King: Gets 3 votes, 10000G Appanage and The Royal Guard.

General: Gets 2 votes and control of the Army.

Commander: Gets 2 votes, Naval infantry and a trade cog.

Bishop: Gets votes x Relics. (Max 4) Can buy missionaries.

Steward: Gets 1 vote and two trade carts.

Constable: Gets 1 vote and controls the city guard.

Diplomat: No vote, but sells new troops to the others.

Further you have internal politics where every player can vote for his own agenda. (There are four different choices)
And example would be the General which has these four topics to vote on:

1. Raise War Taxes - 1000 gold from all players.
  2. Fight Highway Robbers - Better Land trade for Steward.
  3. Hire Mercenaries - Get 3 Soldiers (Cost: 1500 gold).
  4. Military Parade - +1 vote (Temporary)

Each round is played in this order:

1. First fight/Duel (Only in the first round or in the event of a duel happening.)
    This round is to determine whom to be the king for the coming round.

2. The king choose his staff. (Budget phase)
    After resolving either the first fight, the Election, the Coup or the Duel the new king picks his staff based on what they can offer him, in return for gold.

3. Internal Politics (All choose one topic of four. Except king who has six choices)
    During this round all players choose from four different topics. Each having a different effect on the game.

4. The King gather all subjects for one of three events: (Catapult Contest, Grand Hunt or Arena Battle.)
    These events all last for 10 minutes, making it so the trade units can gather a certain amount of income per round.

5. All players use their Vote for different options.
    Example: (Vote for next King, Start Coup d'etat or Challenge all to a duel of power.) (During this part you stack away gold.)

6. Resolve the above and start the next round with point 2.
    Resolving the different options is made through:
    1. Vote for next king: (Each player get one vote, which you can't put in for yourself.)
    2. Start a coup: The King, General, Commander, Bishop and constable fight for control of the throne. (The highest ranking player on the winning side becomes king.)
    3. Challenge to a duel: The first fight is replayed.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Progress:

RELEASED!

Screen-shots: Early in the making | Making the Catapult Competition | Testing the First battle | Using the new TS version | Voting for a Duel | Coup automaticly wins by gaining a total of 12 votes | Map Shot

Videos: Gameplay teaser

AN EVIL TONGUE IS A MAN'S BANE.
    (The above poster is right, did you know that?)
    Proud associate of Monsoon Studios

[This message has been edited by Little Berry (edited 04-23-2017 @ 05:28 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-05-14 01:51 PM CT (US)     1 / 46  
You should improve the map design, as it seems very average. Perhaps add better eye candy or elevation. Can't say about anything else, because Multiplayer Scenarios aren't my cup of tea.

posted 08-05-14 03:20 PM CT (US)     2 / 46  
Sounds good, but I agree with Arnas on the map design. Definetily needs more terrain mixing and eye candy.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 08-05-14 03:20 PM CT (US)     3 / 46  
But Arnas you read that these screenshots are work in progress?

I like the idea, Lildbehr, but I'm unsure if it would work.
posted 08-05-14 03:59 PM CT (US)     4 / 46  
Sounds like a game me and some other guys from Blackforest Studios used to play. We all took command of one nation in the map and used diplomacy to win. Sure, you could amass an army and attack like a RM match, but the other 6 players would kill you if you tried.

Sounds like a very cool idea.
posted 08-06-14 10:18 AM CT (US)     5 / 46  
You should improve the map design, as it seems very average.
I have, these are just images from earlier. Not quite done with the eye candy yet, though. There of the 95%.
Sounds like a game me and some other guys from Blackforest Studios used to play. We all took command of one nation in the map and used diplomacy to win. Sure, you could amass an army and attack like a RM match, but the other 6 players would kill you if you tried.
You mean like the "Mare Nostrum" type of game right?
I like the idea, Lildbehr, but I'm unsure if it would work.
I'm actually a little scared about using that many triggers as I've heard rumours of Multiplayer-maps not doing so well with extensive triggering. Also, I've heard something about the AI not working properly sometimes. Or did UP fix that?

posted 08-06-14 12:01 PM CT (US)     6 / 46  
ah yes. Joshua and us used to play Serva and seas of egressa, which LB was inspired by
posted 08-06-14 01:33 PM CT (US)     7 / 46  
ah yes. Joshua and us used to play Serva and seas of egressa, which LB was inspired by
Which in turn, sort of inspired me to do this.
But I can assure you it will be quite different from your standard diplo-game.

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 08-06-2014 @ 01:37 PM).]

posted 08-06-14 04:18 PM CT (US)     8 / 46  
Basse, you have a memory like an unforgiving god.
posted 08-06-14 08:32 PM CT (US)     9 / 46  
UP should have fixed any AI issues. In 1.0c, it was almost impossible to keep AI units still, but UP fixed this bug.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 08-07-14 09:50 AM CT (US)     10 / 46  
UP should have fixed any AI issues. In 1.0c, it was almost impossible to keep AI units still, but UP fixed this bug.
Great! Then there is one thing less to worry about.

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 08-31-2014 @ 08:47 AM).]

posted 08-31-14 08:47 AM CT (US)     11 / 46  
Update:
Two new pictures posted! Get them above, ya'll!
I'm moving forward like a crazy train.
Also figured out how to make a voting session. It took some time though. Making triggers for seven players sure is tedious work...
Luckily I can duplicate most of it in TS.

posted 09-13-14 06:01 AM CT (US)     12 / 46  
Update:
Additional trigger work and tweaks.
Can soon begin to consider testing this online with real players. Also MAP SHOT!

posted 10-02-14 07:38 AM CT (US)     13 / 46  
Need some help? I am very bad at map designs, but much better at others.

|E)\/
posted 10-02-14 12:07 PM CT (US)     14 / 46  
It will have to wait a bit as I've signed up for the AoK Vanilla Competition. I'll be in touch or will write here when things eventually come around.

posted 12-07-14 10:59 AM CT (US)     15 / 46  
UPDATE:
Things are once again in motion. I've added over a hundred new triggers last week and have now successfully made it possible to play several rounds in a row. Still much left though. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make the diplomacy changes for the coup-part.

This is what I want, but can't figure out how to do:

Let's say Player 1 is king. (He'll always be the head of the Alliance.)

Four players, namely the General, Commander, Bishop and Constable are to either support the king or fight for the opposition. There is the Alliance and the Opposition.

How do I make the diplomacy changes for all participating players? Changing it towards the king is easy, but how to go about with everyone else? It seems to add up to a lot of triggers...

posted 12-07-14 01:10 PM CT (US)     16 / 46  
This sounds like fun; I love board-game type strategy games.

In regards to your last question, Lildbehr, These are my thoughts: You have 4 players who each have a choice between 2 possibilities (Alliance vs Opposition). Mathematically, there are 2^4 = 16 permutations, and therefore you require 16 triggers. Each will have 4 conditions (is P1 alliance? Y/N, is P2 alliance Y/N etc...) and each could have up to 20 effects (since you must set diplomacy for the 4 players + 1 king, to each other player; 5 * 4 = 20). I say up to 20, because you should only need to have an effect if diplomacy changes (i.e. if the default is that everyone is already on Alliance, you only need to add effects to change diplomacy for players choosing to go Opposition), so you should have much less than 20 effects for most triggers.

There may be (probably is) a more elegant way of doing it, but you will have to make sure you account for each players decision with respect to every other players decision.

Conclusion: Assuming I understood everything correctly, I think you could knock this out in an hour or two's time.
posted 12-07-14 02:43 PM CT (US)     17 / 46  
Thank you! I think I know how to solve this now, though I might use a more crude method.

I will add seven triggers (one for each player) that determine if you are against the king.
i.e.

IF YOU ARE RESISTING:
Trigger 1-7 (One per player), OFF, NO LOOP
C: Object in area, 1 unit
E: Create Object: 1 Head
E: Activate trigger 8-15

Trigger 8, (Between P1 and P2) OFF, NO LOOP
C: Object in area, Player 1, 1 Head (Controls if you are participating in the fight.)
C: Object in area, Player 2, 1 Flag A (Flag A is for supporting the king)
E: Change Diplomacy, P1 to P2 = Enemy

Trigger 9-15
Same Conditions and effects but for different players towards player 1.

In the end this will amount up to around 60 triggers for all players that don't support the king.

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 12-20-2014 @ 06:49 AM).]

posted 12-20-14 12:54 PM CT (US)     18 / 46  
UPDATE: About 75% of the triggers are done and I've added a final touch to the map design. The "Coup part" is still in the works. It's about fifty percent done. I've also started testing the map with randomly tasked AI players. (Mostly so that I can find bugs.) So far it's looking good. My goal as it is now is to be done with all of this in February.

posted 01-08-15 11:49 AM CT (US)     19 / 46  
UPDATE: Triggers are almost done. Have succeeded in making the game last several turns. Still needs a lot of testing and refining. Soon enough I will put out a teaser video on Youtube.

posted 01-09-15 11:16 AM CT (US)     20 / 46  
UPDATE: New gameplay teaser on Youtube!

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 01-09-2015 @ 11:16 AM).]

posted 01-09-15 11:26 AM CT (US)     21 / 46  
Looks very interesting and original. There doesn't seem to be much fighting involved though so I probably won't be great at it. I'm a hack n slash type of player.
posted 01-09-15 11:32 AM CT (US)     22 / 46  
There will be parts of fighting each other, but than isn't the main focus of the game.

posted 01-09-15 03:17 PM CT (US)     23 / 46  
Some cool concepts there. I thought of similar systems like it in the past but it always ended up being too complicated :P. Good luck with it.
posted 01-18-15 12:39 PM CT (US)     24 / 46  
UPDATE:
Going to put this up for a first play test in the next two weeks to follow. Hopefully there won't be that many bugs.
Get your Gameranger in order and let's have a good time!!

A download link will be provided for it here, including what is needed to play this map.
(AI, Map, Instructions and hopefully some good sounds. All in a .zip file.)

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 02-01-2015 @ 11:21 AM).]

posted 01-30-15 09:53 AM CT (US)     25 / 46  
UPDATE:

Playtesting!
Get your gameranger fixed. The file can be downloaded in the post above.

You can also add me on gameranger if you want. My nickname is Lildbehr of coarse.

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 01-30-2015 @ 10:15 AM).]

posted 02-22-15 04:02 AM CT (US)     26 / 46  
UPDATE:

Finally playtested on more than one computer. Took some time to get some people together to do it. Still only tested with four players but it Works like a charm!

posted 02-25-15 09:27 AM CT (US)     27 / 46  
Hah! Junta? i been trying to find someone who has that boardgame, u happen to have it? im trying to print out the map board, but i would like the first edition one, from the 70s with realistic angle drawings im on GR too, id love to help u test this map sometime!
cheers

[This message has been edited by QtyaFiya (edited 02-25-2015 @ 09:39 AM).]

posted 02-25-15 01:16 PM CT (US)     28 / 46  
A friend of mine has it, but we only play it rarely when we are six players or more. His edition looks like this:

We've also added new posts of office if we are more than seven players, at most we've been eight players. (It takes even more time to play.)

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 02-25-2015 @ 01:17 PM).]

posted 02-25-15 01:53 PM CT (US)     29 / 46  
YOure great man! i sent u an email hope u see it, also do u think i could find english rules somewhere on the webz? could i be so lucky that your friend be a generous boardgamegeek-enthusiast and upload the rules?
cheers!
posted 02-25-15 02:12 PM CT (US)     30 / 46  
I'll see him again in two weeks, maybe I could borrow his rules and copy them and send them to your e-mail.

It's in english btw, not german.

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 02-25-2015 @ 02:16 PM).]

posted 02-25-15 08:50 PM CT (US)     31 / 46  
I'd love to check this out. Let me know if/when you need another person to play. Do you use steam or gameranger?
posted 02-26-15 10:06 AM CT (US)     32 / 46  
It doesn't work on steam/HD yet, it only works with latest UP. I'll try to get some people together this weekend to play on gameranger hopefully we'll be at least five players.

If you want to check it out and also get the latest UP (Bless you scripter64!) check one of the above posts.

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 02-26-2015 @ 10:10 AM).]

posted 02-26-15 01:52 PM CT (US)     33 / 46  
Darn, that might be a problem for me. I got the collectors edition disc which allows me to play with no cd, but also means I can't change from patch 1.0c. I suppose I could reinstall the game with my regular cd, but I'd rather not, since all my work is done in 1.0c anyway.
posted 02-27-15 00:15 AM CT (US)     34 / 46  
Just one last question about junta, would u mind also scanning the card deck (if you have the time of course), ill upload it to boardgamegeek, so all can just print-and-cut it, it would be an enormous favour to many out there! By the way, what is your name on GR?
cheers
posted 02-27-15 08:38 AM CT (US)     35 / 46  
Same as my nick here. Lildbehr, and yes, I'll just have to dust of my old scanner
Darn, that might be a problem for me. I got the collectors edition disc which allows me to play with no cd, but also means I can't change from patch 1.0c. I suppose I could reinstall the game with my regular cd, but I'd rather not, since all my work is done in 1.0c anyway.
My CD broke years ago.

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 09-26-2015 @ 01:00 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: Treat (In lack of a better name)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames