Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guidelines and Tips to Creating a Great Trigger System
posted 22 March 2005 00:17 AM EDT (US)   
There are certain triggers and conditions I always use in every scenario I make. These help set up my scenario and give me good "control" of what happens on the map - especially rather complex scenarios.

For example, in any trigger capable of interfering with a cinematic, I always include the condition "QV Check: Movie = 0". In every cinematic, I start off with "QV Set: Movie = 1". That way, triggers do not fire during a cinematic. Be sure to remember to set the QV "Movie" back to 0 after the cinematic ends.

What are some tips and guidelines you guys use whenever making scenarios?

I will add them to the list below:

pftq
SINGLE-PLAYER SCENARIOS
1) Cinematics: Every trigger capable of interfering with cinematics has the condition "QV Check: Movie = 0". Every cinematic starts off with "QV Set: Movie = 1". Every cinematic ends with "QV Set: Movie = 0".

2) Looping triggers always contain a QV condition. This way, it can be deactivated via QV Set. Disable Trigger is known to not completely disable looping triggers.

3) Skippable Into Cinematics:When using "Abort Cinematic" to make intro cinematics skippable, contain in that trigger (Abort1) "QV Set: QV = 0". Then in every trigger within the intro cinematic, contain the condition "QV Check: QV = 1". After the trigger (Abort1), fire trigger (Abort2) which then disables every trigger in the intro cinematic. This method guarentees the cinematic to skip correctly.

4) Modify Protounit: Population Count: If population is important in your scenario, never use this. When saved and reloaded, the scenario will set the total pop count to 0, making it possible for the player to have a negative pop count and therefore ruining your scenario.

5) Active Triggers: Avoid having too many triggers active at once. Make use of the effect "Fire Trigger", which activates an unactive trigger.

6) Distance to...: When possible, use Distance to Unit/Point instead of Units in Area. Distance to Point/Unit works faster than Units in Area.

7) Soundfile Name: Fire Trigger: Be careful when using the Trigger part of Soundfile Name effect. It fires the next trigger when the sound is finished playing. If your scenario lags, the sound may finish playing and fire the next trigger sooner than you intended.

AOMPlayer000
1) Player Change LOS: Don't use this. When the map is reloaded, the LOS is messed up. Use "Set Tech Status: Shared LOS, Unobtainable" instead.

Gummyworm
Use Groups - Although it's not nessesary, making groups for your triggers (and naming triggers) can really make the scenario more tidy. It's also useful if one of your triggers is "bugged" and needs to be debugged, so you can find the trigger.

Jot Down QVs - Keep a list of all your scenario's QVs in a notepad file or on a piece of paper, along with a description. That way, you don't forget what the var is.

Have More than one Run Immediately Trigger - If at the start you want to modify protounit, change diplomacy, start movie, and Set Techs, use separate triggers. Doing so will make the effects easier to find for future reference.

Save Before entering Sound/Music filename triggers into Editor - This is obvious, but it bears mentioning. Always save before using the two "Trouble Triggers"

Check for Cinematic Inconsistancies before starting - Always make sure that cinematics have On and Off triggers in them before you test.

Archaeopterix
- While making the scenario, make sure you have a temporary trigger with the condition "abort cinematic" and effect "cinematic mode OFF", so you can always escape.
- Use QVs for everything. I have tons of them which are either 1 ("on") or 0 ("off"). A good example is what pftq said: the movie checks (I always have a "busy" QV, which - during dialogues and cinematics - is given the value 1). But I also use them to keep track of items in an inventory, to keep track of the optional objectives that are currently running, to "create" time (a QV "hours" and a QV "days"), to set a day-night cycle and city-life making use of "hours" and many many more.
QV pwnage.

[This message has been edited by pftq (edited 04-20-2005 @ 09:45 PM).]

Replies:
posted 22 March 2005 03:50 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
Player Change LOS: Never use this effect; when you save and re-load the game it messes up the LOS. Instead use Set Tech Status, "Shared LOS", unobtainable.

Couldn't think of anything better now...

Good thread & ideas, pftq !

posted 22 March 2005 04:00 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
Yikes I used the effect! lol How is "Shared LOS Unobtainable" a substitue though?
posted 22 March 2005 04:39 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
You can't see your allies . That's useful when you want passable gates which you don't see.
posted 22 March 2005 04:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
excellent pftq,
now I understand how my scenario got screwed up, and it's because I didn't know that thing with the looping triggers.
good work
posted 22 March 2005 06:41 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Nice one. You really aid the Scenario Design Commuinty, pftq.
posted 22 March 2005 08:06 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
Cool pftq!!!

Many thanks for these tips!!!!

thxthxthxthxthxthxhthxhthxhthx!!!

~me very tired, need much coffee~~~~~~

posted 22 March 2005 10:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
np guys.

@AOMPlayer: I thought Player Change LOS gives a player LOS over another player... Ah well. I'll add it in.

posted 22 March 2005 04:32 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 30 March 2005 10:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Use Groups
Although it's not nessesary, making groups for your triggers (and naming triggers) can really make the scenario more tidy. It's also useful if one of your triggers is "bugged" and needs to be debugged, so you can find the trigger.

Jot Down QVs
Keep a list of all your scenario's QVs in a notepad file or on a piece of paper, along with a description. That way, you don't forget what the var is.

Have More than one Run Immediately Trigger
If at the start you want to modify protounit, change diplomacy, start movie, and Set Techs, use separate triggers. Doing so will make the effects easier to find for future reference.

Save Before entering Sound/Music filename triggers into Editor
This is obvious, but it bears mentioning. Always save before using the two "Trouble Triggers"

Check for Cinematic Inconsistancies before starting
Always make sure that cinematics have On and Off triggers in them before you test.

posted 19 April 2005 03:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
I can't get the hand of triggers E.G. When i want to make it so when i put kemsty in a well of urd i want i the map to finish and i want kemsty to summon snakes or shades
posted 19 April 2005 05:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
- While making the scenario, make sure you have a temporary trigger with the condition "abort cinematic" and effect "cinematic mode OFF", so you can always escape.

- Use QVs for everything. I have tons of them which are either 1 ("on") or 0 ("off"). A good example is what pftq said: the movie checks (I always have a "busy" QV, which - during dialogues and cinematics - is given the value 1). But I also use them to keep track of items in an inventory, to keep track of the optional objectives that are currently running, to "create" time (a QV "hours" and a QV "days"), to set a day-night cycle and city-life making use of "hours" and many many more.
QV pwnage.

[This message has been edited by Archaeopterix (edited 04-19-2005 @ 05:40 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Guidelines and Tips to Creating a Great Trigger System
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames