You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: [Guideline] Eyecandy Tricks
posted 02 February 2011 02:04 PM EDT (US)   

Hello everyone !

Now I'm done with map making, I was thinking of doing a Guideline to the next map designers which will teach them how to do a nicely made eyecandy. I am not pretending being the best eyecandyer artist, but a few people asked me how did I do these eyecandy, how I work. And maybe some of you who suck at eyecandy will learn new things with this guideline. It shows how I work, what I have made, how you can do landscapes, for both supremacy maps and RPG maps. It shows screenshots, gives hints, tricks, ideas.

I hope you will read it, like it and use it.

Anyway, good luck to anyone who wants to do eyecandy.

Edit : It's a .pdf, you will probably need Adobe Reader.

|Limb of Memories| Upcoming AoM Online RPG, the prequel to |Children of Memories|
A project by Tasterix.

[This message has been edited by Tasterix (edited 02-02-2011 @ 03:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02 February 2011 02:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28  
Very nice guide, Tasty. It's very clear, professional and insightful. I suggest that you zip it and upload it to the downloads section. This is a good guide for noobs and eyecandy virgins alike!

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 02 February 2011 03:23 PM EDT (US)     2 / 28  
This was a very nice read indeed. I've read the whole guide which finally convinced me to download the epic textures mod . Holy moly, that mod really improves the screenshot quality.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
posted 02 February 2011 03:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 28  
Very nice, although I disagree with the use of the canyon/cliff tool. Two buttons I never plan on pressing ever again.

Yeebaagooon: See, he's hardcore. Opting for people rather than vegetables!
posted 02 February 2011 03:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 28  
I can't read it. It won't load .

"I even heard rumors of a return of the SST (hint, hint..)" - Elrich

You heard it folks... Spam him until he makes a new SST thread!
posted 02 February 2011 06:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28  
teh croppin is smooth but not smooth enough

~~~~~~ My Work | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Mods ~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Scenarios ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~ Analysis | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Also my Website ~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ~~~~~~~~~~
ᵇʸ ᵉᵘʳᵒᵗᵒᵒˡ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ᵇʸ ᵉᵘʳᵒᵗᵒᵒˡ
posted 03 February 2011 01:16 AM EDT (US)     6 / 28  
Doesn't matter, I didn't have Adobe reader installed :/.

posted 03 February 2011 02:14 AM EDT (US)     7 / 28  
Open it with Google Chrome

~~~~~~ My Work | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Mods ~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~ Analysis | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Also my Website ~~~~
posted 03 February 2011 05:03 AM EDT (US)     8 / 28  
I use Chrome already, Anstar... been using it since it came out.

posted 03 February 2011 05:08 AM EDT (US)     9 / 28  
I never said you weren't using it...
RACIST!

[This message has been edited by Anstar10 (edited 02-03-2011 @ 05:10 AM).]

posted 03 February 2011 06:06 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28  
A very in depth guide, however I feel it skips over the stuff of placing rocks and objects. If I were to just randomly plonk them down it would look a mess, but yours look perfect .
If you ever make this in HTML (or on the forums), I'll put it in the design library.
This is a good guide for noobs and eyecandy virgins alike!
I lost my eyecandy virginity to an obelisk...

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 03 February 2011 07:57 AM EDT (US)     11 / 28  
It's a very well done guide with many good-looking images.
I'm not agreeing with you about the Epic Texture Mod though.

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
posted 04 February 2011 08:53 AM EDT (US)     12 / 28  
@ Elrich : Yeah but I am making 2 other Guideline and I will upload them all at the same time. Next one will teach the basic triggers. And last will show you how to do a little RPG, nicely and quickly.

@ Lewonas : Yeah ! ^^ ETM FTW !

@ Ruairidh888 : Maybe but I prefere telling people using it instead of letting them doing somethign wrong with elevation. And as I said, that's only for the base of Hills/Mountains

@ Yeebaagooon : HTML ? Wow that will be hard. Not sure I can do this/have time. But I will give it a try.

@ lostrozzacavalli : You will probably agreed when Mythos_Ruler will finish the mod (I think it's still a Bκta, this is why snows part looks so bad). I wish he will finish it.

Thanks to everyone for the comments anyway

|Limb of Memories| Upcoming AoM Online RPG, the prequel to |Children of Memories|
A project by Tasterix.

[This message has been edited by Tasterix (edited 02-04-2011 @ 08:55 AM).]

posted 04 February 2011 10:28 AM EDT (US)     13 / 28  
Well I'm not saying it's bad, actually it's one of the best mods around here imo.. But if you design with it installed you might blend terrain in a way that looks bad or at least wierd to people who do not use the mod.. And I don't think it's so well known on ESO.

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
posted 04 February 2011 06:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28  
HTML ? Wow that will be hard. Not sure I can do this/have time. But I will give it a try.
HTML is actually rather easy. I recommend you learn it.

posted 04 February 2011 06:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28  
[Off-Topic] OMG, I'm so mad! I was playing your Age of Memories map a few minutes ago, and my whole team was n00b and died just after the starting area. I've completed all available quests for about 95%. There was just a tiny black area which I hadn't discovered yet in the northern corner. So I went up and then A FREAKIN' AVALANCHE came down and killed me. There was NO WAY I could've survived that. I've been playing your game for two and a half hours just to die that easily at the very end. That's just CRUEL Arrrghhhhh!
I'll just go kill myself
[/Off-Topic]

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
posted 04 February 2011 06:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28  
Tasterix, check your email dude.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 05 February 2011 05:08 AM EDT (US)     17 / 28  
@ Myles_Kennedy : I know but it's a lack of time if I can't, and I would have to upload all the pictures with good shades etc. That would take ages. Maybe a program can does it.

@ Lewonas : Haha ! That avalanche is so kewl XD

You need to know it at least, but I like letting the surprise for people like you play it since 2 hours and just... die. It's frustrating but that forces you to rehost it over again :P

No jk, anyway you need to be more than 2 people to reach this part, it's the Ending which tells you everything about the story, so you need to deserve it. This is why it's so challenging.

Just to know... what level were you ?

@ PaPaya : Sent. I tried to convert it into HTML but I failed with the images.

A project by Tasterix.
posted 05 February 2011 05:19 AM EDT (US)     18 / 28  
I could give a try at converting it... Give me a couple of days...

EDIT: Very slim chance of getting it done. I have chem homework :/.

[This message has been edited by Myles_Kennedy (edited 02-05-2011 @ 05:31 AM).]

posted 05 February 2011 07:33 AM EDT (US)     19 / 28  
I don't know what my level was. But I do know I had about 160 attack, 900 HP and 100% hack and pierce armor (I bought the armor upgrades from merchants). My character was Heracles. My guess is I was level 30-35?

And yes, I will host it ONE more time if you tell me how to survive that darn avalanche.

posted 05 February 2011 08:26 AM EDT (US)     20 / 28  
Avalanche doesn't take care about your Armor, you're just crushed under a ton of snow and the only way to survive is to run fast.

If you're slow, use restoration (you can buy it in the Capitolcity or get it by a quest with that Militia near the Capitolcity, but you also get a Restoration spell in a statue hidden somewhere... so as you can see it's still possible if yo'ure slow).

If you're fast, faster unit goes first and get closer to it, getting ready to run away. Normaly, if you're skilled enough, with a Speed of 5.00, you can survive this... Assuming you will probably have a heart attack

A project by Tasterix.
posted 05 February 2011 11:56 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28  
Really nice i read about half then just looked at the pictures but still really good.
posted 15 February 2011 09:14 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28  
Yo, how's the HTML going ?

A project by Tasterix.
posted 01 March 2011 10:43 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28  
Not bad.

|MEMORY|
posted 27 April 2011 02:23 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28  
File has been submitted

A project by Tasterix.
posted 01 May 2011 06:59 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28  
Sorry for double posting, can someone please rate or comment this file please ?

A project by Tasterix.
posted 01 May 2011 07:43 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28  
Your guide is truly amazing, Tasty. Unfortunatly, I have a bad reputation for making reviews, but I'll comment it for sure

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
posted 02 May 2011 12:08 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28  
Awesome guide, it is a must read even for the ones that consider theirselves skilled eyecandier
posted 02 May 2011 09:43 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28  
tasterix just got a "good work" comment from a legend! YOU LITTLE &^**%!!

"I NED MOAR RANGE" Pubby8
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » [Guideline] Eyecandy Tricks
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames