You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: [Scenario Showcase] Long Road Home
posted 06 November 2016 04:19 PM EDT (US)   
The map is ready and uploaded to Aom-Heaven Multiplayer Scenarios:
http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11244

3 heroes travel the wastelands on their way home. With the villages scavaged the capitol might be in need of help.

What to expect: Three players pick their heroes and try not to die while progressing through the enemies and the map, gathering some gold, get some updates and finish (or fail) their personal hero plots. Since there is respawning, dying is allowed but comes with penalties. Fun!
The game is focused on the heroes and their progress, while not much happens with the enemy. [Next time I'll try to make the AI more interesting, finding a way to make move-triggers work on a defeated player or have a non-defeated AI which does not start running around on its own might help]
Technical: There are a lot of triggers, though none is active while not required to. They fire each other aswell as disable each other when not needed anymore to hopefully kill any attempt of performance issue.

Starting the game: Up to 3 Human Players, for P4 you choose a CPU. Also you should try to have 3 Human Players, otherwise progress in this game might be really slow.
You dont need to set diplomacy settings, they will be set automatically by triggers in game. In fact, brasilian players tend to scream "no" when you try to set teams yourself on similar hero-maps, therefore it may screw up the teaming, if anyone changes teams before starting the game. Just leave it 1,2,3,4.

MOOD

Dwarven camp in some ruins which ought to be a village of your homeland. Where did the people go?

There they are!

MECHANICS

Hero pick: Pick your Hero by going close with the old man you start with. [Not explained anywhere in the game, but this should be pretty common]

TUTORIAL: Click on the signs to read the tutorial.
> Recruit military on Jarls Halls, you can only have one army so you dont get a new one if anyone from the old one is alive. [stay a while close to the buildings to get your army]
> Respawn at Hero Monuments. To set them as new spawnpoint go close with your hero (works only one way now, so no choosing earlier monuments..).
> Regenerate heroes health at friendly campfires, not the enemy ones. [stay a while close to them]
> Gather gold from corpses. It doesn't matter who of the players finds the corpse, everyone gets the same amount of money. [stay a while close to them]
> Upgrade your attack at dwarven smiths for 100 gold per update. [stay a while close to them]
> Upgrade health by visiting graves. Unlike with the corpses each hero has to go there himself to get the update. [stay a while close to them]

Visual (+ audio) feedback for getting gold from that corpse.

Age 1 & Age 2 Heroes get stronger updates than Atalanta and Bellerophon. Hippolyta gets one more attack than the other archers as substitute to the lack of accuracy.
If you play not-Hippolyta and found all the corpses in the game, aswell as killed the bosses which grant money, after getting all dwarven attack-updates you will finish the game with 0 gold.
Max ups from gold/graves: 5*Graves, 7*Dwarves. 8*Dwarves for Chiron, Various for Hippolyta.
Ajax: +9 Attack per 100 gold from dwarves, +80 HP from graves. [Max: +63 ATK, +400HP]
Jason: +9 Attack per 100 gold from dwarves, +80 HP from graves. [Max: +63 ATK, +400HP]
Archers: +7 Attack per 100 gold from dwarves (Hipp+8), +40 HP from graves. [Max: +56 ATK, +200HP]
Atalanta: +7 Attack per 100 gold from dwarves, +50 HP from graves. [Max: +49 ATK, +250HP]
Bellerophon: +6 Attack per 100 gold from dwarves, +40 HP from graves. [Max: +42 ATK, +200HP]

HEROES

Easy Heroes: [Pretty strong but dont get any godpowers from their plots]

PLOT: Medium. [Randomized Location on the lost brother]
TRAIT: Gets really strong, especially when you max out by visiting all the smiths on the map. [Tutorial Unit does not count]
DEATH PENALTY: Not too bad, after dying two times someone else should take care of the myths.

PLOT: Easy, just like in real life.
TRAIT: Pretty bad, or at least okayish.
DEATH PENALTY: Doesn't get a penalty for dying himself, so just take care of the important ones.

PLOT: Medium. Can be hard to find, but you get rewarded on the way.
TRAIT: Nice one. Can level up more and sometimes faster than other heroes by filling up the required but not yet available gold.
DEATH PENALTY: Counters the trait, so not too bad if you remember getting dwarven updates.

Medium Heroes

PLOT: Medium. Can be hard to find.
TRAIT: Fair. Grants finally one additional attack-level, more importantly fills up the missing gold on the way to up faster.
DEATH PENALTY: May get bad. After dying two or three times you cant really fight on your own, so stay close to your armies or allies to see anything.

PLOT: Hard. Most likely you will fail this plot and get punished for it.
TRAIT: Worst.
DEATH PENALTY: Blocks everyone from advancing in this game, may kill your allies.

Difficult Heroes:

PLOT: Hard. Most likely you will fail this plot early mid-game and get cruically punished for it.
TRAIT: Good. Gets worse on death/punishment by increased recharge time. Gets better if the plot is completed.
DEATH PENALTY: Mostly the recharge time on the special, but also the losing of army and starting with half health are bad.

Known issue: Invisible gates are really bad, so there are some pathing issues near campfires. They should prevent enemy forces going into friendly camps, where you could kill them off easily while getting healed at the campfires.
Joining or leaving friendly camps requires therefore some micromanagment-pathing to get your hero/army to go there or out of there.

There are some secrets on the map, so have fun finding them! (By starting to try and complete the hero plots maybe.)

[This message has been edited by Lilitu (edited 11-07-2016 @ 00:50 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07 November 2016 07:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
It is a long time since I have seen a new RPG, hopefully I can find time (and players) to play it soon. I'm glad respawning is finally a feature.
I remember when the CSC theme was long road home.
posted 07 November 2016 08:43 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
Looks nice.

Youtube Channel
Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
Ctrl...Alt...Q...
and Brisingr-know these three things and your task here is accomplished...
posted 07 November 2016 12:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Thx you two.

I somehow cant stop working on this X_X .. just updated to a newer version (LongRoadHomeII).

Features:
> Gather Supply (food) from crates, the first food you'll get from the dwarven camp you see in one of the pictures. Same mechanics as with gold: Doesn't matter who finds the box, everyone gets the same amout. After the dwarven village it will be 5 food per little crate and 10 food per big crate you find. With the dwarven initial food of 40 you will be able to go up to 200.
> Pay 10 food for recruiting armies. Not for free anymore. No food, no army.
> Ajax gets 30 food per camp with his freedom speech trait.

Furthermore there are more sounds and texts added, aswell as a missing invisible gate I forgot.

[This message has been edited by Lilitu (edited 11-07-2016 @ 12:55 PM).]

posted 22 November 2016 08:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
posted 02 January 2017 05:31 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
I'll proceed our conversation here Lilitu to avoid flooding the download section with unrelated messages.
Ah, nono, the levels are saved in QVars. It's just that if you try to print them you get a bunch of zeros after the comma since they are a float value. I read somewhere that for printing QVars putting them into a resource counter and asking that value converts them into an integer which works fine. That's the only reason people read "icon player reached hero level 1." instead of "icon player reached hero level 1.000000000.".
My bad, I probably misread your comment because it was 3 AM when I wrote my reply. Whoever suggested to use the resources to convert the QV float to an integer is ignorant. You can simply convert the QV float to an integer by multiplying the qv value by an integer value of 1. Let's say you want to track the current XP and XP required for the next level with the fakecounter/text effect, you would have something like this: "+1*trQuestVarGet("p1currentXP")+" / "+1*trQuestVarGet("p1requiredXP")+" XP. You can show the level through a chat message similarily: <color={playercolor(1)}>{playername(1)}</color> has reached level <b>"+1*trQuestVarGet("p1currentLevel")+"</b>!
I have 4 kinds of level for each player and the XP, that would be 15 unused resources required.
It would be 5 unused resources required because you use the players' resource pools to track their progress. However, with some clever mathematics you can use just one resource to show more information, but it would get harder to read (e.g. a wood count of 14002001 would display 3 kind of levels, which are seperated by a 0).
What is shown now:
- The "Hero Level" inside the players wood counter. Attack/Armor and Health level are not displayed permanently.
If I understand this correctly, the hero level you track with the wood counter is only 1 of the 4 kinds of levels? The other 3 levels aren't shown at all? You could also make things easier and just map a hotkey or let the players select somekind of unit to display the player's statistics (the 4 kinds of levels and XP) in a private chat message and use the fakecounter to keep track of the XP (and hero level?).

But to get back to the main issue, the OoS error, I'm not sure if your current "gaia resource level & XP displaying system" would ever cause an OoS to occur. But I would rework it anyway because it's an inefficient way to do things. I'm afraid the OoS issue lies somewhere else. Try to determine which triggers are fired once the OoS occurs (e.g. Include a debug chat message as the first effect in the triggers you suspect to cause the OoS error. Once the OoS error pops up, look which chat message(s) was/were sent last to determine which trigger(s) is/are the issue.).

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 01-02-2017 @ 05:44 AM).]

posted 02 January 2017 07:49 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
Aye

About the qvars I got the method from there: http://aom.heavengames.com/scendesign/advanced/QV_hide
Having this qvars being integer in first place would come in more handy..

The other 3 levels are announced in chat on level up. XP is put into the favor-counter each 5 seconds or something.

Yeah, it should be reworked. But aside from this loop this early into the game nothing really happens except for protounit-setups and namechanges.

Also I use a lot of soundfiles which are different in languages, StrangeStrike mentioned the Vanguard-Map might sync out at ~6 secs if anyone has installed the game in another language so maybe thats a cause. X_x

The SyncOUt-Thread might be more fitting though >_> http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,29825,,20

[This message has been edited by Lilitu (edited 01-02-2017 @ 08:01 AM).]

posted 02 January 2017 10:22 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Playing sounds in different languages is perfectly fine as long as you don't set the built-in fire event parameter to fire another trigger after the sound has finished playing. In fact, using the built-in fire event parameter in ANY effect such as Sound Filename, Play Dialog, Sound Timer, etc. will always cause a OoS error instanteneously! Perhaps this is your issue?

If this is not the issue, I again advise you to use chat messages to find out which triggers are causing the error. I quickly glanced over the trigger code in your other thread, but nothing wrong caught my eye. The only thing I found strange is that you send an icon in the chat messages like this: icon=20(icons\hero g odysseus icon 64) which is a wrong syntax. The correct syntax to send chat icons is this: <icon=(20)(icons/hero g odysseus icon 64)> (most icons look better when they have a size of 35 instead of 20; this depends on the icon's original dimensions).

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 01-02-2017 @ 10:39 AM).]

posted 02 January 2017 10:45 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
Sound Fire is widely used, thx! I'll change that away. Though it does not always kill it I guess.

I have a speech-"System" which fires icon+text+soundfile. This speech-Triggers only work when no one else is talking, thus the "Speech"-QVar is zero. After the sound is ready they reset it to zero through firing some "SpeechReset"-Event.. that I'll put into the effect I guess, woooork... >_>

I couldn't put the pointy brackets into the XML-File and HTML-Entities didnt work either, so I add the symbols manually. 35 is nice to know aswell.

Is there a list of effects which cause OOs? .. Like I'd like to delete them from my file so I'll never make such errors again. X_X

[This message has been edited by Lilitu (edited 01-02-2017 @ 10:51 AM).]

posted 02 January 2017 06:18 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Well, there're a lot of threads you can find that cover which conditions and effects cause OoS errors or other issues in multiplayer (e.g. this one and this one). But some of the information in the threads is incorrect and/or outdated and a lot of other troublesome conditions and effects and important remarks are missing. I guess I could compile an updated comprehensive list of conditions and effects to avoid or to be cautious with when designing for multiplayer. But it would take quite some effort and time, so no promises...

edit: And don't delete those conditions and effects... you can still use them for singleplayer scenarios or sometimes even light multiplayer scenarios. But you could tag those conditions and effects with the SP abbreviation so you know they can only be used for SinglePlayer scenarios, and the LMP abbreviation so you know they may also work in Light MultiPlayer scenarios.

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 01-02-2017 @ 06:28 PM).]

posted 03 January 2017 04:21 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
Units in LOS - Out of Sync for four players or more.
Maps with triggers go out of sync when you play with ppl who have a different language then you. GUARENTEED.
I used the in LOS a lot.. also the language lock would be horrible X_X
If you are using camera tracks Never use the fire event box at the bottom of the track trigger. Instead insert a fire event in the same trigger.
> That I probably used too..
posted 03 January 2017 09:55 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
Playing with people with different Dialogue only causes oos if that 'trigger' box is used to fire an event

[This message has been edited by That AoM Guy (edited 01-03-2017 @ 09:56 AM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » [Scenario Showcase] Long Road Home
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames