You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 10Round1 Game30 Oceania (Faler vs Swolte)
posted 09-05-10 10:38 PM EDT (US)   
2010 Singles Tournament: Round 1
Game ID: #30
Map: Oceania

------------------------------------------------------------
O'Brien - Faler - shut-faler AT yandex DOT ru
Goldstein - Swolte - swolte AT gmail DOT com
------------------------------------------------------------

Important reminders
* You are expected to be familiar with ALL the rules and official announcements as posted here.
* You MUST log (only 'ts' will do) your turn at least once every 48 hours or be subject to tournament warnings which may result in your disqualification.
* Please give notice of any absences longer than 48 hours in this thread.
* Houserules are in effect. Be aware that the MIGRATION TRICK (OR) is not permitted as well.
* You MUST password protect your turn.

Good luck to all, and have fun!

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
Replies:
posted 09-12-10 03:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
Day 1

good luck!

ts
posted 09-12-10 06:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
~ Goldstein

So far, all battles went as planned. Zero losses. Tomorrow will be a tougher day.

--
ts

Good luck

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 09-13-10 12:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Day 2 - Day of bad luck

Preliminary test silt each fight - all was good. And here... (
posted 09-13-10 11:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
~ Goldstein

We consider ourselves lucky today as a village basically surrendered to us. Our might is rapidly increasing and we fear only for those who dare oppose us!

~ S

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 09-13-2010 @ 11:35 PM).]

posted 09-15-10 10:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
~ Goldstein

News-reports of bad luck hitting O'Brien were confirmed as opinion polls of his reputation have dropped to 'pathetic'. Now, we just pray the bad luck won't hit us, especially after the good luck of last turn.

We did lose one unit today, but O'brien could see that...

posted 09-16-10 01:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
ts
posted 09-16-10 06:53 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
~ Goldstein

We finally got a good look at the opponent. We see he has been able to recruit an additional hero. His forces are spread out but not very much where we like or expected them...

Oh well, we gathered a mighty weapon today with cold strike which will come in very handy against Draconians.

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 09-16-2010 @ 06:54 PM).]

posted 09-17-10 11:19 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
ts
posted 09-17-10 12:02 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
~ Goldstein: day 5

From Bucharest to Budapest to Munich to Brussels, and today we landed in... Airstrip I. The hotel reception was meager and the weather really sucks around here. We're not sure for how long we'd like to stay. Perhaps we'll decide to unpack tomorrow.

Our host O'Brien? Um, well... seems to be on the run!

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 09-17-2010 @ 12:09 PM).]

posted 09-17-10 12:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
I have suffered defeat
posted 09-17-10 12:42 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
Thanks for the game, Faler.

Believe it or not, I was actually the most nervous for this game because one stroke of bad luck, and you're done on this map against an attentive player. There is also so much randomness on it and I didn't know what to expect from you (Faler)! I was lucky in the game as my items were good, and I had some city-units join me. And most of all, I could research water-walking (However, that wasn't even necessary, in retrospect).

I was initially going for a long game where I was basically intending on steadily pushing forward whilst taking villages. I was going to build lvl-2 cavalry to support the push, whilst securing the villages with low level units shooters in case I needed to retreat and guard against air attacks. This was quite a burden on the economy, but I figured I shouldn't take too much chances and revert to a stronger standoff position if initial attack failed.

I still stuck to that concept throughout the game, but I noticed I could speed things up dramatically mid-game. The thing was, at about day 3, I felt things were going much better than expected for me. I had great items from sites and most fights were won without a scratch. When I noticed Faler's floating hero was separate from his Flyer, and that he also had his circus troops (wounded) elsewhere in the far south, I decided to just make it a short game and go straight for Airstrip I. His forces were too spread up, and didn't converge to make a fist. Water walking was ready on day 6.

I also didn't encounter any castings from his part but I think Faler was a bit unlucky with his backlands.

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 09-17-2010 @ 06:06 PM).]

posted 09-17-10 01:13 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Congratulations Swolte on your victory? Thanks for you analysis. Faler, tough break going up against Swolte? What did you think of the game?

*rubs hands together and thinks to self... another win for Goldstein... oh I see some good interviews coming up on this one*
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » 10Round1 Game30 Oceania (Faler vs Swolte)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames