You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The extra-unit idea thread (patch 1.4)
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
posted 03-09-05 06:02 PM EDT (US)   
EXTRA UNIT IDEAS

As described in the v1.4-plan, the upcoming patch will support extra unit graphics (ILB's ) for mapmakers to use. In this thread you can put a spotlight on your favourite recolored units.

IMPORTANT: Other then possibly the priests/monks, no existing unit will be recolored or replaced! The units nominated in this thread will ONLY be accessable by mapmakers to put in their maps, at their convenience and how they see fit!

Tips!
It would be nice, if you can, to upload a picture of your unit(s). I use villagephotos to upload a screenshot ([prtScn button]) and link it to here, using the [img]-tags!
Only units that are recolored or composed of original graphics from the Age of Wonders-game will be supported by the patch!
It might be fun to give ideas for stats and abilities as well!

The procedure:
This week I will email an authenticity-team that will consist out of 6 members. At some point, we will nominate the best units, taking these ideas and suggestions into account! Only me and the A-team are allowed to nominated units that will be voted for.
Over a month or so, we will have a bunch of nominated units, I will put these in one file.
These six people will vote (I will not participate), whether a unit is good enough or not. These votes will be on the basis of graphics! If a unit recieves 5 or more votes, independently, it will be supported by the patch.

When selecting a unit, please take the following into account:
- Does the unit look professional and authentic to the game? Be very critical.
- Does it not conflict too much with an existing unit graphic?
- Does the unit have anything to add to the game?

Ok, let them come!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 03-15-2005 @ 06:11 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-19-05 08:32 PM EDT (US)     211 / 292  

Quote:

The Cardinal received healing-II, a new ability that heals 12-22 hitpoints.

This reads like Healing II is an additional Ability, not just a replacement for some other Ability.

True or false?

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
posted 04-19-05 08:36 PM EDT (US)     212 / 292  

Quoted from ZombieEater:

This reads like Healing II is an additional Ability, not just a replacement for some other Ability.
True or false?

It's a higher level of an existing ability (it's like Vision II, Leadership II and so on).

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 04-22-05 01:36 PM EDT (US)     213 / 292  
xl black spider and xl bird-eating-spiders i saw this in disciplesII and its a very scary sight!

imho, aow:sm needs more scarry units, also there could be more types of zombies cause the original one looks not scarry enough, but the sound of the unit is ok and fun.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 04-22-05 03:57 PM EDT (US)     214 / 292  

Quote:

It's a higher level of an existing ability (it's like Vision II, Leadership II and so on).

Ok, can this be applied to any Ability? Seduce II, Entangle II, etc?

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
posted 04-22-05 03:59 PM EDT (US)     215 / 292  
It could be done because there is 2 healing abilities.
posted 04-22-05 04:02 PM EDT (US)     216 / 292  
yes, why not? there are 2 ignition abilities and 3 resurgence abilities and there is not even a number behind them to see the difference.

Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain

[This message has been edited by DarkMystery (edited 04-22-2005 @ 04:02 PM).]

posted 04-22-05 06:06 PM EDT (US)     217 / 292  
It is the wrong topic but I think the saint could benefit from helaing II also if it's possible.. maybe with a medal?
posted 04-22-05 06:19 PM EDT (US)     218 / 292  
Great idea, using heal twice or heal twice as effective?
posted 04-22-05 06:33 PM EDT (US)     219 / 292  
In the current version of the patch, the Saint has Healing II on silver and Healing III on gold (I hope I haven't revealed any confidential information )

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 04-22-2005 @ 06:34 PM).]

posted 04-22-05 06:42 PM EDT (US)     220 / 292  
Heal twice as effective.

(The healing on the Saint might be something for the next testphase. Haven't proposed it yet for the balance team. I'd sure like it on there! )

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 04-22-05 07:22 PM EDT (US)     221 / 292  
Is it not possible to give them more uses of healing? If you make healing more effective, that doesn't help units whos health is nearly as much as healing gives.
posted 04-22-05 07:40 PM EDT (US)     222 / 292  
Herbalist should get Healing II as well.
posted 04-22-05 10:45 PM EDT (US)     223 / 292  
Unit idea:

• Nomad Champion
    (IMHO, it's most precise translation of original term, but if needed, i can discuss it separately in Outside Discussions ).
    __
    Description:
    Peoples that lives in constant small skirmishes usually able to produce many considerable warriors.
    Peoples that obtains a considerable part of food through hunting in open fields tends to produce many good archers - and good bows too.
    Nomads (as well as Tigrans) is one of such cultures.
    Among other Nomads some fabled Champions excels most of their fellows in both archery and close combat.
    Such elite warriors armed with composite longbows and best blades available, and wears considerable (but flexible enough) armor.
    They tend to soften up their enemies with poisoned arrows from short bows (also on hand since short arrows is cheaper) before engage in melee.
    Nomads do not practice poisoning of long arrows since involved use of barbed arrowheads impairs aerodynamics below Nomads' concept of long-range weapons.
    __

Therefore, it's typical Mounted Nomad unit, but with
    (Poison Darts, Archery, Marksmanship, Charge);
    at higher ranks +Magic Mount, Leadership and Willpower;
    considerable stats and cost.
    Recruited in Champion's Hall, of course.
    As Steppe-oriented hi-level unit alternative to Desert-based Chieftain, but slightly cheaper - does not have magic weapon, nor Magic Mount as basic ability, though experienced ones must have quite well control of their steeds, so it's appropriate for higher ranks. Maybe, even Haste at Gold.
    Tigran Cat Master seems to work good, so why not - it fills the functional gap.
    ____

BTW, give all archers some weak Strike, let them retaliate.

And even I make no pretence Of having more than common sence - R.W.Wood
    The secret half a country keeps, the whisper in the lane... - R.Kipling
    [UPatch 1.4 Team] * STLpack

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 05-08-2005 @ 10:36 PM).]

• posted 04-23-05 10:11 AM EDT (US)     224 / 292  
    saint + healingII and III? we will see!

Also known as TirAsleen
    Dwiggsvillain

[This message has been edited by DarkMystery (edited 04-23-2005 @ 10:13 AM).]

posted 04-23-05 07:29 PM EDT (US)     225 / 292  
    IMHO, if extra units will be added as non-attached only, first candidates is Animals. They can be added to more-in-style scenarios. As stray units - if someone takes control - so be it, they will be player's unit, otherwise... just good decoration.

One of first my "in line" new unit ideas...
    __
    Name : Skwahl
    Type : Creature ; Alignment : None ; Gender : It
    Size : Extra Large
    Race : Syron (or None)
    Attack : 8 (or even 7)
    Defense : 9
    Damage : 10
    Hits : 25
    Moves : 48
    Resistance : 14
    Level : 4

• Abilities (Initial):
    Animal
    Flying
    Willpower
    Shadow Walker
    Night Vision, Vision 2
    Death Protection, Holy Protection
    Lightning Protection
    Strike, Magic Strike, Charge
    Grasp, Ram
  • Abilities (Silver):
    Vision 3
    Lightning Immunity
    Magic Protection
  • Abilities (Gold):
    Vision 4
    Cause Fear
    Static Shield
    Unit Body : slightly brighter (in dark places) and slightly smaller (see Description) version of ForceShip (because it still alive ), with Attack animation moved to Special and new Attack sequence: copied Hit, but at 25 fps instead of 15.

Description:
    Skwahl, or Sky Whale of Shadow World.
    Rare, but renowned creature whose remains Syrons turns into powerful Forceships. However, it's possible only after death of large and healthy Skwahl of old age. In other words, corpse of creature slain in battle becomes almost useless.
    1->Syrons revere the Skwahl as a sacred being, and can fiercely guard them, and Skwahls smart enough to consider Syrons as their "friends" and in turn also can crush someone who tries to attack nearby Syron.<-1
    They seems not to disapprove creation Forceships from Skwahls' corpses, nor they mistake Forceships for their own kin (perhaps due to perfect eyesight).
    Skwahl's vision is nearly as good as Dragons', allowing huge beast to recognize best swarms of sky-plankton over large distances.
    Though bulky Skwahl is not best fighter, it can smash flying opponents with its body (forcing target to crash-land) or enhance tentacles' swing with abrupt expiration to lash foes and hurl them away at once.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 05-13-2005 @ 05:26 PM).]

• posted 04-23-05 08:00 PM EDT (US)     226 / 292  

Quoted from PawelS:

DRAGONFLY
    A good unit to place in swamp environment.

Yes.
    I thought about Dragonfly too, but with other approach (less "DirePenguinish" ):
    "Giant Dragonfly"
    Animal
    Flying
    Strike
    Blurred (? or Block, represents "dodge" movement here)
    Charge
    ? Strangle (as grappling form of attack, but slightly questionable)
    Poison Strike
    Pole Arm
    Vision I
    ...and so on.
    and perhaps
    "Dragonfly Larva"
    Animal
    Swimming
    Strike
    Poison Strike
    Charge
    Water Concealment
    ? Strangle (as grappling form of attack, but more questionable)
    ? (seems to be unachievable...) Growth [Dragonfly] (...but cannot be said certainly without knowledge of Abiliries.pfs structure).

Pole Arm seems to be appropriate, because... hmm.... are you acquainted with design of dragonfly mandibles ? As perfect as mantis' claws. Fits their kind of Charge very well.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 05-08-2005 @ 08:03 PM).]

posted 04-23-05 10:55 PM EDT (US)     227 / 292  
    (removed)

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 04-24-2005 @ 10:10 PM).]

posted 05-01-05 04:27 PM EDT (US)     228 / 292  
    Sorceress/sorcerer A human whos mastered the power of the elements. Floating, speed 32. Phase, pass wall, steal enchantment, seeker, float, magic relay, marksman 2 (with upgrades at medals).

No attack/damage. 5 defense, 15-20 resist, not alot of hp. level 4 human

Resist-lightning, cold, fire, magic and physical.

Static Shield, but only the shock persons that attack, not lightning immunity and sorcerers can't strike anyways so lightning strike wouldn't matter. Also attackers might get burned or frozen.

One ranged attack of each of these types,
    lightning, cold, fire, magic and physical, plus one attack for damaging walls. Preferably one thats separate from physical, can only be used on walls and only next to them (sorceress casting a spell on the wall to damage it) If not possible, hurl stone or something.

The spell should vary in form as well as elemental type, like maybe cold breath, hurl fireball(fireball, not firebomb, see hurl lightning except fire based) and so on.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 05-03-2005 @ 05:37 AM).]

posted 05-03-05 03:29 AM EDT (US)     229 / 292  
    Whats the purpose of the different uses of color in creature suggestion descriptions?
    posted 05-07-05 02:51 AM EDT (US)     230 / 292  
    Noble, human:
    Speed: 40, level: 1, cost= a little bit cheaper then a hero (I was thinking we could increase the cost of heroes though)

Miscellaneous stats, weak for a level 1.(glade runner or wolf type stats)

Main abilities= leadership 1, with leadership 2 and magic relay at silver, and leadership 4 and bards skill at gold.

Willpower.(of course)

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 05-07-2005 @ 02:53 AM).]

posted 05-08-05 11:19 AM EDT (US)     231 / 292  

Quoted from TruePurple:

I was thinking each ship could have race specific abilities.

I was thinking about "Longboat" or similiar units (i.e. non-Transports) in such context.
    I.e. something like:
    Elven "Longboat" - Archery,
    Frostling "Sealboat" - Throw Spear, Cold Protection
    - etc.

IMO, big racial Machines (like "Steam Tank", but it can be exclusion) looks more strange, and boats with small crews is more acceptable.

And perhaps Draconian "Light Catamaran" (they must know more about aero-/hydrodynamics and seems to prefer light constructions to reinforced ones... ).

This line can be enhanced, but hardly in 1.4 patch-mod...

Quoted from TruePurple:

Goblin ships could explode. Galleys could do even extra damage when they go off. Goblins load up their ships with gunpowder special so that they can do this

Not necesary it must be gunpowder either, but if they have "Bomber"s, they have some explosives...
    I'll try to tweak "Self Destruct #" ability.

Perhaps not the same "Galley", but Goblin "Fireship" or/and "Demolition Boat"/"Bomber Boat" is good idea.

(But how it can be "Nonracial units" ? )(Moved from "Nonracial units" thread.)

Quoted from TruePurple:

what you mean when you say "Brander"

U-u-ups. Sorry. Missed it. Since i knew "brander" was word imported to Russian from German (Dutch according to others), i thought it's common term, as most naval terms from Dutch and some German. But as you pointed it out, i checked it.

Quoted from TruePurple:

I think it should be the goblin transport type ships that can explode. Exploding non transports isn't violent, wasteful of life or unexpected enough for goblins taste.

Problem is - it's wasteful of resources too. And Goblins considered "poor and cheap" style race, right ? So it's not sufficient.
    Conversion to fireship was "benefitial scrap" - fate of devaluated ships. Right ?
    I don't think Goblins have excess resources either to waste transports or to load transports with explosives "just in case" (hardly can be good ballast: organic substances is not very dense nor even heavier of powders - it's waste of cargo space), so perhaps they will do this "historically authentic" way too...

On other hand, there's other good point: if Goblins is not good workers in general, their Fireships can be merely badly constructed and therefore "disqualified" normal vessels, patched to acceptable condition and loaded with explosives.
    Then it's cheap, Transport 1, crippled HP, crippled Armor, crippled Mov (worse quality)...
    Also represents abandoned ships as Refugee machine.

Fireship as such must be big enough - high enough to entangle target ship's rigging with its own, since time required to start fire on target.
    On the other hand, explosive Fireship ("Demolition Boat") can be only as large as needed to carry good charge and to survive approach. Almost manned torpedo.
    (If you want, let's talk naval questions in details on Outside Discussions).

Quoted from TruePurple:

But I do like the idea of ships that don't serve a transport function too.

Therefore such boats can be Transported...
    Moreover, boats can be award units, because they can be Transported by non-naval Transports (first of all - "Air Galley").

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 05-08-2005 @ 07:56 PM).]

posted 05-08-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     232 / 292  
    Each boat given racial abilities would be part of the main town recruiting part of the game, not just extra tools for map makers to place on their map (which would generally not be town recruitable units)

As far as I know (from reading the thread starter) the thread about nonracial units is about units that aren't racial at the moment. Not that we can't make them racial in the patch. Anyways in a sense a number of "nonracial units" are already partially racial, since for example, not every race can recruit balloons or cannons or...

In short, this is the wrong thread for this issue!

Also, I asked before but got no response, what is the purpose of the text coloring you guys keep using? Like making words white, light blue or dark blue? What is the legend/key for this?

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 05-08-2005 @ 03:05 PM).]

posted 05-08-05 07:29 PM EDT (US)     233 / 292  

Quoted from TruePurple:

Each boat given racial abilities would be part of the main town recruiting part of the game

I want boats in Shipyard too: it looks very strange with 2 big ships and without any boats. One must build and upkeep big ship with Transport 7 even if wanted merely to proceed along the river for some reconnaissance, it looks not very good.

Quoted from TruePurple:

In short, this is the wrong thread for this issue! :P

It's extra units anyway.

Quoted from TruePurple:

what is the purpose of the text coloring you guys keep using? Like making words white, light blue or dark blue? What is the legend/key for this?

My own legend is very simple. Resembles (inexactly) in-game abilities color map: Passive, Active, Enchantment, Detrimental abilities (e.g. look in Hex-Ed thread on Mod Forum).
    Handy for references to units' properties. I.e. "some Transports" means units with specified ability, not shortened term for "Transport Ship" units. Other colors used mainly to highlighting, or for ranks. I edited most messages in ext. editor using clipboard, so need only to copy color BBcode with #rrggbb values from old articles.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 05-08-2005 @ 10:00 PM).]

posted 05-08-05 07:49 PM EDT (US)     234 / 292  
    What do you mean, passive, active? Why did you make every word transport in your post light blue?

As far as the issue of boats. I wont discuss it in the wrong thread,(this one) I will discuss it in the nonracial units thread. If you really want to understand why it belongs there then read the starter topic in both threads.

posted 05-08-05 09:39 PM EDT (US)     235 / 292  
    Partly so. But...

Quoted from TruePurple:

...read the starter topic in both threads

"Non-Racial units" starter message suggests thread for "needed balance changes for the nonracial units", and de-facto it's almost exclusively dedicated to balancing of existing non-racial units.
    "Extra units" starter message suggests thread mainly for new ILBs for miscellaneous units, but de-facto it was dedicated to new units' performance characteristics no less than to new images - starting from first responce.
    So it was merely functional approach.

And boats seems to be too potentially useful for patch's gameplay and consistent-looking setting to talk on this subject in Mod Forum.

Quoted from TruePurple:

What do you mean, passive, active?

Abilities that colored gray vs. white on unit's window in game and used automatically vs. used as action (respectively), nothing more.
    But if this color looks too bluish - Ok, i'll change it to this (fair equal-RGB gray - look at html code) to look more definite.

posted 05-08-05 11:06 PM EDT (US)     236 / 292  

Quoted from swolte:

Any ideas for a recolored lavaship are welcome too. Units with fire immunity can only transverse lava.

Is it possible ? What abilities unit must have to transverse lava, but not land nor water ?

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 05-08-2005 @ 11:25 PM).]

posted 05-09-05 01:47 PM EDT (US)     237 / 292  

Quoted from Turbo Beholder:

What abilities unit must have to transverse lava, but not land nor water ?

Fire Immunity.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    posted 05-09-05 02:24 PM EDT (US)     238 / 292  
    Yes, the trick is to not give a unit 'walking'.

posted 05-09-05 08:19 PM EDT (US)     239 / 292  
    I.e. unit without Walking, Sailing, Swimming, Floating and Flying (and movement Enchantments) still can be placed and can move, exclusively on Lava - if it have Fire Immunity ?
    Interesting.
    Then can something like this be done (somehow) with other terrains - e.g. Beach ?..
    Needs to be tested...

posted 05-09-05 09:12 PM EDT (US)     240 / 292  
    well there isn't a special movement for beach,(is it possible to create other terrain movements?) but it could be done with mountains for example I presume.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 05-09-2005 @ 09:16 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » The extra-unit idea thread (patch 1.4)
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames