Valley of Wonders - Community Forum
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: VOW Movie Review Station
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10-11-02 09:07 PM EDT (US)   
The very first person to start reviewing forum movies was KK(King Kong) at the Beefeater Inn website. I've decided to start this station, where anyone can review forum movies, in hopes that we can get reviews ON TIME. And maybe KK will start reviewing again if he has some good old-fashioned competition...

Anyways, here's how we work: anyone can review a movie here provided they follow the rules below.

Reviews

The Rift
(reviewed by:Psykitty, rating:****=great(4.2)
BTOOIC 2-The Underground
Reviewed by:PsykittyRating:****(pretty good/3.8)
Lost Souls part 1
Reviewed by:Psykitty, rating:*(terrible}
administrator part 2
Reviewed by:Psykitty Rating:***(decent)z(post 15)
Heavengames:Total War part 2
Reviewed by: TDK(post #2) Average rating:*(bad)
General Fear and the Army of the Seventh Bird part 1
Reviewed by:Psykitty(post #3) Average rating:***(good)
Administrator part 2
Reviewed by:TDK(post#4) Average rating:**(average)
Liberation
Reviewed by:Psykitty(post#12) Average rating:*****(great/popular)
Day of the Penguin
(reviewed by:TDK(post#51), rating:*** = good(3.0)
Night of the Living Deathray
Reviewed by:TDK(post#13),Falagar(post#14) Average rating:****(great)
Sequels are Forever
(reviewed by:TDK(post #52), rating:*** = pretty good(3.5))

ForumPussy
Reviewed by:Psykitty(post#16) Average rating:-*(abysmal)
The Trial of TDK
Reviewed by:Psykitty(post#19) Average rating:*****(great/popular)
Revolution
Reviewed by:Psykitty(post#25) Average rating:****(really good)
Double-Oh-l33t
Reviewed by:Psykitty(post#26) Average rating:**( above-average)
Capitolisation
Reviewed by:Psykitty(post#27) Average rating:***(good)
Comp Cinema Weekly
KK's only review, of TDK Strikes Back
Other
KPI Review Station

Rules:

1. Follow the rules.
  2. Only review movies that are currently playing(using the DSH Cinema list.
  3. there is no #3.
  4. Use our rating system(to be explained later on)
  5. There will be no flaming reviewers. That is pretty obvious, but I feel the need to state it anyways.
  6. There may be a maximum of 3 reviews per movie. That number is subject to change if enough people complain.
  7. don't just variate between 5 stars and 1 star. Put some thought into your scores.
  8. again, put some thought into your review. Try not to tear a bad movie apart TOO badly, and don't rave too much on a good movie.
  9. no reviewing your own movie(suggested by TDK)
  10. feel free to suggest more rules.

Rating System
I've decided on a simple 5-star, (optionally) color-coded rating system. If you don't like it, then suggest another one(with a detailed explanation), and I will add it as an optional different rating system. However, I would suggest sticking to one rating system, as it is less likely to confuse people.

Edit:you'll notice that we now give the option of half-points(4.5, 2.5, etc.) this was suggested by KK in his review thread. You don't have to use them, but they're there. And they'll make deciding average ratings easier...
5-star ratings
*****=fantastic(5.0)
*****=fantabulous(4.9)
5 stars means this movie is near perfect, and could not be improved on in almost any conceivable way. In short, the best of the best. As in, almost guaranteed to win the movie of the month poll. These should be VERY rare.
4-star ratings
****=excellent(4.5)
****=great(4.0)
****=Really good(3.9)
Four stars means the movie is one of the best movies ever made, a truly great movie, it stands a really good chance for movie of the month.
3-star ratings
***=pretty good(3.5)
***=good(3.0)
***=decent(2.9)
Not great, but not bad either, these movies either hover just above average, or fall just short of greatness. Still definately worth watching, and has a good chance of winning the poll.(edit:description changed. Good isn't a bad rating, honest.)
2-star ratings
**=above-average(2.5)
**=average(2.0)
**=below-average(1.9)
Not good, not bad. This type of movie has been done before, and brings almost nothing new to it's type. However, it is bearable, and still mildly worth watching.
1-star ratings
*=mediocre(1.5)
*=bad(1.0)
*=terrible(0.9)
This is a bad movie. It has very few, if any redeeming qualities. These might show some promise, but they're usually completely unoriginal. If your movie gets this score, be ashamed. Be very ashamed.
negative-star ratings
-*=horrible(0.5)
-*=abysmal(0.0)
Ah, the negative star(black star). These movies are completely abysmal, with absolutely NO redeeming qualities. As in, the sort of thing that makes your eyes bleed, and never should've seen the light of day. They are often nonsensical, appear to have no plot and play(read) like they were written by a monkey on some sort of illegal drug.
I expect these to be almost as rare as a 5-star rating.

special ratings
No one, no matter what, can give out these ratings. So how do people get them, you ask? Read on to find out.
If a movie gets one of these, it will overlap it's average score recorded in the 'reviews' section.
*****=perfect
The white star. If gold signifies the best of the best, this signifies the best of the best of the best.
In order to get this, a movie must be given a gold-star rating by three different people.
*****=popular
Ah, the popular vote.Notice how it very closely resembles the white star. This signifies that the community favors this movie over all others released this month. In order to get this, it must win the forum movie of the month poll.
*=boring
This signifies that a movie is boring, almost a chore to read. Depending on the content of the review, and if it gets an average of 1 or 2-star ratings, a movie could get this award.
-*=hazard
You're probably wondering about this one's color. Well, I picked the color I thought best resembled toxic waste. Movies that get this award must have 3 -* reviews. In essence, it is the opposite of the white-star rating, a danger to your health, and should be avoided at all costs. I repeat, ALL COSTS.
*****=christmas special
Movies that come out(and are reviewed) during the christmas month(december, right?) will have their average rating color-coded from green to red. This does not affect their score in any way.
*****=halloween special
movies that come out(and are reviewed) close to Halloween will have their average reviews color-coded like this. Again, it doesn't affect anything.
And that's all I can think of...

NOTE:for the first couple of weeks, you can review any movie no matter when it came out. However, the max number still stands.

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 08-30-2003 @ 02:06 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-11-02 09:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 52  

Quote:

feel free to suggest more rules.

How about "No reviewing your own movie".

posted 10-12-02 01:26 AM EDT (US)     2 / 52  
Movie Review

Movie: HEAVEN GAMES: TOTAL WAR (part 2)

Made by: Kong Productions, Inc.

Rating: *

I strongly recommend you do not watch this movie, unless your IQ is below 100. It relies far to heavily on obscene humor to get laughs, using jokes about bodily functions to cover up the fact it has no plot worth mentioning. The sole aim of the film appears to be to make Luke_skywalker55 look like an idiot, which is not really that hard... Perhaps if KPI's HG: TW part one hadn't been so much better, I wouldn't have had such high expectations. Hopefully, KK will redeem himself with a spectacular HG: TW part three.

[This message has been edited by The Drunk Knight (edited 10-12-2002 @ 01:27 AM).]

posted 10-12-02 04:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 52  
General Fear and the Army of the Seventh Bird part 1

published by:Drunken Bottle Productions
Developed by:Drunken Bottle Productions

Is General Fear a good movie, you ask? Yes it is. The Drunken Bottle's first movie is good, but I have a few quips with it that keep it from being the best.
First of all, this isn't TMPC. It's a different setting, and although still funny, it does not come close to TMPC's greatness. And for the record, apples own oranges. Especially if said apples are in a pie...
Now, back to the review at hand. This movie just seems somehow different from TMPC, and the characters themselves aren't great. In fact, General Fear himself is the only one who shows a hint of personality.

And then, there is the way the movie is displayed. Yes, the marquee text is cool. Yes, the centered text makes it look more like a real movie, BUT it also makes it difficult to read. It's okay for short trailers, or the opening title, but not for an entire movie, especially one with such an unnessecerally big image at the end. And the end, while a cliffhanger, isn't very mysterious. You KNOW the good guys will storm the fortress, and you KNOW they will win, etc.

This brings us to the plot. It seems to start off in the middle of something, kinda like the first Day of the Penguin. However, Day of the Penguin had a link to the thing it was based off of. This just starts in the middle, and it's maybe only a bit longer than the average TMPC episode. And it lacks a true ending, it doesn't answer anything. I know there's going to be another part, but they could have at least explained why General Fear is fighting the 'sremag', which looks like 'gamers' spelled backwards. If this is more than a coincidence, then I'm looking forward to the next part. If not, then the first law of sequels will remain intact.

In short, it is a good movie, but it does not live up to TMPC's legacy. It's worth watching, and stands a good chance of winning the movie of the month, but there have been better movies.

Rating:***(good)

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 10-15-2002 @ 04:40 PM).]

posted 10-12-02 04:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 52  

Quote:

but there have been better movies.

Which ones, I wonder?

Good to see you're being a tough reviewer too, psykitty. Inflated ratings = BAD!

posted 10-12-02 05:47 PM EDT (US)     5 / 52  
Movie Review

Movie: 0101>>ADMINISTRATOR<<1010 (Part 2)

Made by: Comp Media Corp.

Rating: **

First of all, this movie could have been a "good" if it had images. All film-makers (or anyone selling something for that matter) should remember that presentation is everything. A "forum movie", no matter how well written, will not score nearly as high as another if the producer doesn't take the time to hunt down some smilies. (I think finding the right smilie is kind of fun, actually. ) Also, the centered text format is annoying and makes it harder to read. Comp also could have used more color to jazz it up.

As for content, Comp did a surprisingly good job. The 0101>>ADMINISTRATOR<<1010 series is a vast improvement over his early "shoot 'em up" movies. ADMIN. (part 2) still has that element, but now it has a plot. "Shoot 'em ups" are okay if it has a plot and is going somewhere. Comp uses cliff-hangers and suspense effectively, although he should have made ADMIN. (part 2) a bit longer.

In conclusion, looking forward to part 3! CMC is getting better and better at making movies.

[This message has been edited by The Drunk Knight (edited 10-12-2002 @ 05:48 PM).]

posted 10-14-02 06:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 52  
Good review, TDK.

Although I'd say it's more a mystery-with-shooting than a shootemup. And the lack of images make it seem 'darker' IMO.

And I think I know who the main villain is...

posted 10-14-02 10:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 52  

Quote:

Although I'd say it's more a mystery-with-shooting than a shootemup.

I said it still had that element, not that it was. At any rate, I still think it's just "average."

btw - can you review "Liberation"? I'm working on a review for your movie. (although my attention span isn't quite long enough for your movie... )

posted 10-14-02 11:48 PM EDT (US)     8 / 52  

Quote:

although my attention span isn't quite long enough for your movie...

Very funny...

And I was going to review all of September's movies at some point, until I remembered the poll.

But if I can think of anything more to say about Liberation, I'll review it.

posted 10-15-02 11:38 AM EDT (US)     9 / 52  
Good job, Psykitty! Looks very professional!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 10-15-02 03:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 52  
KK has suggested that we incorporate half a point into the rating system. I've decided to use it for a while to see if it works.
posted 10-15-02 03:46 PM EDT (US)     11 / 52  
I suggest that if someone gets an abysmal rating, another reviewer must be also found, to prevent a mental disorder of the producer

[This message has been edited by waterfly (edited 10-15-2002 @ 03:48 PM).]

posted 10-15-02 04:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 52  
Liberation
published by:
Knight Media Corporation
Developed by:Merry Jester Studios

Today, I review one of the most popular forum movies, and September's movie of the month, Liberation.
So, how does Merry Jester Studios' first movie fare in the VOW review station? Read on, to find out.

Liberation is based on TDK's 'VOW-A History' book, which is probably lost somewhere in forum history now. It's a satire of the forum war when the BTOOIC tried to retake the VOW, and is the second movie(as far as I know) to be based on these events.

It is also the better of the two, despite being less accurate(Gaiseric, El Bandito(I think he was around at this time), and the AOWFF are missing entirely). As I said in the movie of the month poll, I don't like history movies. However, Liberation, despite inaccuracies that I could nitpick over for a while, is a fairly accurate, and hilarious take on the conquering of the VOW. And it sets itself up for a sequel, while still having a real ending. Sort of. Unfortunately, time has not been kind to Liberation, as some of the images are not working anymore. However, they were at it's first release, so I cannot take points off for this.
Liberation, thankfully, does not use the centered text that was so annoying in some of October's movies.

And now, it's time for me to discuss the plot.
It begins before the beginning(a sign of good writing), as the BTOOIC plans to retake the VOW, and does a pretty good job of explaining what is going on, without getting boring.
Now, while it is based on a book, you couldn't tell. The plot moves at a good pace, it's fairly accurate, and, like I mentioned before, has a real ending.

In closing, Liberation is one of this year's best movies(in my eyes, and the eyes of many who voted in the poll), and Merry Jester Studios has shown great promise. A great first movie, it raises the bar for historical and satirical movies alike.

Rating:****

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 10-15-2002 @ 04:40 PM).]

posted 10-15-02 07:15 PM EDT (US)     13 / 52  
Movie Review
courtesy of Knight Review Services, Inc.

Movie: Night of the Living Deathray

Made by: VOW Park Studios

Rating: ****

My only complaint with this movie is superficial. IT'S TOO LONG! Ack! General rule of thumb: if it can't fit into one post (or three in the BTOOIC Cinema, due to the image limit) it may be just a wee bit too long... Movie producers must remember that the largest movie market is America, where attention spans are tragicly low after years of sound bites and five-minute news broadcasts. "Night of the Living Deathray" is unlikely to do very well in the polls simply because some people didn't bother to read the whole thing. Remember: keep movies pithy and don't drag out the plot too much.

As for presentation and content, I have no complaints. Psykitty did a swell job of tracking down the right smilies, and his characters are well developed. "Night of the Living Deathray" follows a clear plot, instead of just random violence and excessive obsene humor. Also, such lines as "Hey! I'm a monster, I have to do SOMETHING evil!" are classics.

In conclusion, VOW Park Studios has produced a real winner. Now all psykitty needs to do is work on length... My maxim is "The less you put in the current movie, the more you can put in the sequels!"

[This message has been edited by The Drunk Knight (edited 10-15-2002 @ 07:18 PM).]

posted 10-16-02 09:10 AM EDT (US)     14 / 52  
The Night of the living Death Ray
Reviewed by The Reviewing Wizard.Inc (RWW.inc)

I have reviewed The Night of the Living Death Ray, by Psykitty, and I must say that this is one of the better movies made. It has lots of funny jokes and parodies without ruining the plot. For those who have read the first one, but not this will meet many of the old characters again, such as Black Helmet man, Mario and Bowser.

The movie is very long, but when you start to read, you just get sucked into it and can't stop before you're done. Also, as TDK stated, the use of smilies are superb, and gives just the right feeling of being out among the stars or in a space-ship. The actors are very good (), and to read Bowser talking in Yoda-style is incredibly funny!
Some of those who haven't read the first one may be a little confusing by the sudden appearence of Samus, though.

The many twists, funny lines and good plot makes this a classic
VOW Park Studios has once again made a movie that will stand among the great ones in the AoWHeavengames-history, and I can't wait until the 3rd movie is out!

Rating: ****

[This message has been edited by Falagar (edited 10-16-2002 @ 09:12 AM).]

posted 10-18-02 06:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 52  
0101>>ADMINISTRATOR<<1010 part 1
Published by:
Comp Cinema
Developed by:Comp Cinema

Today, I'm writing two reviews, including one for the first part of Comp's Administrator series.

Unfortunately, Administrator(the whole series so far) uses the same centered text that's been complained about in earlier reviews. However, since there is no ridiculously large image at the end(actually, Administrator has no images, but more on that later), so it isn't quite as bad. However, it still deserves mention, as it is still a problem.

Like I said earlier, Administrator has no images what-so-ever, not even basic smilies. In fact, the centered text, and a few names colored here and there are the only special effects you'll find.

Now, here's what makes it original: The lack of smilies actually helps, giving it a darker feel(something that smilies would not help), which perfectly suits it's type. The plot is not original in real-life terms, but it is the first forum movie that mainly tries to be suspenseful, and maybe even a little scary. Unfortunately, it isn't scary, but it's a step towards that, and we could easily see a forum horror movie or two in the future, whereas every previous movie was either a (usually lighthearted) comedy, or a copy of some real-life movie/book/game, or a combination of those two. And usually based on forum war, to boot. Now, Administrator may be based on something in real-life, but there's never been anything like it in the Cinemas. Even part 2 seems a little different.

Now, the plot: It seems to be heading in the direction of a forum war movie(judging from part 2), which has been done to death. However, they were always usually based off of some real-life movie, especially Neo's movies, whereas I don't think this is. The plot moves pretty smoothly, and it's long enough so that something important has happened by the end. And it's really more of a mystery(nearing horror) than a forum war movie. I hope it does not become another forum war movie, as we've had so many of those, and I fear the title gives away too much(how many people do you know with 0101 in their names?).

In closing: The predictability keeps it from acheiving true greatness, but it's still definately worth watching, and the closest we have to a real horror movie.

Rating:***

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 02-07-2003 @ 05:23 PM).]

posted 10-18-02 07:43 PM EDT (US)     16 / 52  
And now, my second review for today. I feel it should be a negative one, to balance out my earlier reviews...

ForumPussy
Published by:
Comp Cinema
developed by:Matrix Productions

Yeah, it's an old movie. It could almost be considered a classic, if it weren't for the fact that it's just BAD in every possible way!
Um, no offense, Neo...

Yes, I can sorta tell what's going on, and the text is not centered. However, there are many spelling mistakes(incredibly stupid ones), and the various '¦â€¦'s at the beginning are out of place.
Now, the worst part of this movie is not that it's just not funny(even though it tries), or that it's almost nothing but cliches, but that it's an insult to one of the best series of all time! If this were a real movie, it would have killed the Austin Powers series. Thankfully, it's on the forums, and nobody will make money from it.

About the plot: It's trying to be like something, like I said, probably the Austin Powers movies. And this leads me to wonder if Neo's pet monkey has seen the Austin Powers movies, and what drug(or combination of drugs) it was on...
If it's trying to be like Austin Powers, it failed. If it's trying to be funny, it failed even moreso. The only thing funny about this movie is the sheer level of stupidity. Thankfully, Neo is getting better, but honestly, he made decent movies before this one. I just don't understand how he managed to screw up so badly with this one...

In short, do not watch this movie. If you must, KK posted a link to it in his review station.
I've heard that Luke made a movie, but I don't remember it. Only a preview... So, this is the worst movie ever made.

Rating:-*
woot! First negative-star review!

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 10-18-2002 @ 09:02 PM).]

posted 10-18-02 11:19 PM EDT (US)     17 / 52  

Quote:

Now, here's what makes it original: The lack of smilies actually helps, giving it a darker feel(something that smilies would not help)

Oh, really?

I believe the lack of smilies is due to Comp's laziness.

[This message has been edited by The Drunk Knight (edited 10-18-2002 @ 11:19 PM).]

posted 10-19-02 02:25 AM EDT (US)     18 / 52  

Quote:

I believe the lack of smilies is due to Comp's laziness.

That could be true... But I still say it gives it a darker feel...

Besides, the important thing is that I wrote the first [c=black-*[/c] review!

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 10-19-2002 @ 02:30 AM).]

posted 10-19-02 10:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 52  
The Trial of TDK
published by:
Knight Media Corporation
Developed by:Merry Jester Studios

Lets see... It's the sequel to the best movie of last month, it features a great cast(including the Black Helmet Man smily as Cherub Weezul), and it's based on one of the weirdest parts of forum history. So how can it lose?

Answer: It can't.
Despite once again having a few inaccuracies to nitpick over, Merry Jester Studios has once again crafted a fairly accurate satire of forum history. And, it explains where OK_Vespertine came from as well.

Like I said, the characters are great. Well, I can't really say they're bad, since they are real people. I could, actually, but I don't need any more people out to kill me...
Anyways, The Trial of TDK only uses the centered text for it's title, credits(the 'up' marquee is turning into a trend...), and a battle scene, so it isn't annoying.
Thankfully, unlike some movies this month, it ends properly. Things have happened by the end, and you know it won't be weeks, maybe even months before you get to see the next part. Personally, I prefer to see companies make new movies instead of releasing 'parts' every so-often. If you simply must do this, make ALL the parts and then release them in a day or so, one after the other(like i did with both DoTPs). Okay, now I've wandered off-topic, haven't I?
Anyways, the point is it has a real ending.

And now...

WAKE UP!!!

That's better.
Anyways, the plot:
As you can probably guess, it's based on the time after the BTOOIC had retaken the VOW, and the peace treaty had been signed. The time when TDK was put on trial for war crimes.
The plot moves smoothly, things happen when they should, the ending is something you wouldn't expect(well, I didn't expect it anyways), and once again, it begins before the beginning. Oh, and like I said somewhere above in my rambling, it has a real ending.

In short: Merry Jester Studios has managed to make a sequel that lives up to it's predecessor, and even surpasses it in some aspects. And did I mention it's the first movie based on TDK's trial?Well, I don't remember any others...

posted 10-19-02 10:45 PM EDT (US)     20 / 52  

Quote:

the ending is something you wouldn't expect(well, I didn't expect it anyways),

That was my intent. I love bizarre endings!

posted 10-21-02 05:02 AM EDT (US)     21 / 52  
Good review and indeed a very entertaining movie!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 11-03-02 11:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 52  
posted 11-09-02 00:25 AM EDT (US)     23 / 52  
October's ratings are now colored accordingly.

Now, since January's only a few months away, I'd like suggestions for a 'movie of the year' special rating. I was thinking a smily of some kind. New years isn't linked to any sort of color is it?

posted 11-09-02 01:08 PM EDT (US)     24 / 52  
Nice! You have an extra [b] tag though.

And about the Movie of the Year rating - you don't have any blue stars.

posted 11-17-02 01:58 PM EDT (US)     25 / 52  
Revolution
Published by:
Knight Media Corporation
Developed by:
Merry Jester Studios

Revolution, the third movie in the HG-A Satire series has just hit theaters yesterday, and it is my job to ramble on about it, and eventually post some colored stars that are supposed to tell you how good it is... And how it compares to it's predecessors.

First of all, while a lot of movies use centered text, perhaps intending to make it look more like a real movie, Revolution does not, making it pretty easy to read. And it looks like marquee(spinning) text is becoming as common as smilies, for both credits, and various other scenes. I would like to complain about this, but it really isn't a bad thing.

Now, on with the plot. Revolution is set during the time when TDK first formed the IHF, and tried to start a revolution in the Hall. From my limited understanding of what happened(I didn't go to the Hall at the time), there are a few inaccuracies, but once again it doesn't really matter. It begins before the beginning(does this make sense to anyone?), like previous movies in the series, but the ending... Well, this is the last movie in the HG-A Satire series, and the ending doesn't really look like the kind of ending you would end a series on... I know it's a prequel, but the cliffhanger still kinda bugs me...

In closing, I'd have to say that aside from more special effects, Revolution doesn't really do much that The Trial of TDK didn't do, however whether it's better than Liberation or not is debatable. Had Revolution been released before, or instead of The Trial of TDK, it would have gotten a four-star rating, but it just falls short of the new standards. Revolution is great, but compared to The Trial of TDK it just falls a little short...

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 11-27-2002 @ 09:00 PM).]

posted 11-27-02 07:17 PM EDT (US)     26 / 52  
Double-Oh-l33t
Published by:
Matrix Productions
Developed by:
Matrix Productions

When I first saw the title, I was expecting the worst, another forumpussy but with James Bond ripoffs instead...
And I must say, I was pleasently surprised.

First of all, it doesn't have the centered text, and there are almost no spelling mistakes.
There isn't any marquee text either, but I don't think the Pub lets you post HTML. No complaints here.

Now as for the plot, I'm pretty sure it's a kind of forum war movie(basically, about a forum that's jealous of the Hall... Kinda like the HRPF incident), different from most forum war movies, but still not very original. And it's definately not a ripoff of James Bond, the pacing is too quick for that. However, it does share one problem with many other current movies... It basically ends around the middle.

In closing, Double-Oh-l33t is Matrix Productions' best movie yet, and could very well become their flagship series. If it's ever finished, that is...

Rating:**(above-average)

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 11-27-2002 @ 09:00 PM).]

posted 11-27-02 08:31 PM EDT (US)     27 / 52  
Capitolisation
Published by:
Kong Productions, Inc.
Developed by:
Kong Productions, Inc.

Well, HG:TW part 3 has been cancelled, and not long after making a poll asking what kind of movie he should make next, KK released 'Capitolisation'.

Lets see... Centered text only in the title and credits(both opening and closing), working smilies, few spelling mistakes, marquee texted end credits, and photo-ish pictures of locations. Capitolisation doesn't do anything wrong in the way it's designed.

Now, forum history movies are one of the most popular kinds, right up there with forum war movies. In fact, a movie is very rarely not a forum history, or forum war movie. Even the original Day of the Penguin was sort of a forum war movie... But anyways, Capitolisation is a forum history movie, based on the Borg's 'assimilation' of the Capitol, which I think is now the EEHeaven community forum.
Granted it isn't 200% accurate(although my memory of that time is a little foggy), but it probably wasn't intended to be. And here comes my biggest gripe: it ends with a big, red 'to be continued'. Granted it does progress fairly well, but I can't help but wonder if it'll go the same way as the HG:TW series.

In closing, Capitolisation is a good movie, and the next part could very well exceed it.(the borg invasion, like TDK's trial, was one of the weirder and sillier parts of forum history.)

***(good)

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 11-27-2002 @ 08:59 PM).]

posted 11-28-02 00:28 AM EDT (US)     28 / 52  

Quote:

Rating:**(above-average)

You can't be serious! Neo's movie was a blantant rip-off of my "Revolution" movie!

(I'd write a review, but I'm going on a vacation)

posted 11-28-02 01:05 AM EDT (US)     29 / 52  
Really? I didn't notice... Maybe I need my eyes checked...

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 11-28-2002 @ 01:07 AM).]

posted 11-28-02 02:08 AM EDT (US)     30 / 52  
But then, a rip-off can also be done well, and in itself gives praise to the original idea
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Valley of Wonders - Community Forum » VOW Movie Review Station
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames