You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Kingdom of the Stag AAR (RTW Vanilla Britons)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 21 June 2009 10:18 EDT (US)   
KINGDOM OF THE STAG

So, this is an AAR for the Britons in Rome TW version 1.5. This will be my first documented campaign; I hope you enjoy it.

The settings are Hard/Hard, fatigue, morale, and ammo on. Unit scale large, i.e. 80 men per standard unit. I am playing to win the short campaign only; outlast or destroy Gaul and control at least fifteen territories, with the stipulation that one of the provinces I control must be Rome.

And now, let us join my people on the Island, readying for the conquest of the known world...

Other AARs by me: The Noble House of Scipio

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-25-2011 @ 09:14 AM).]

Replies:
posted 21 June 2009 11:55 EDT (US)     1 / 158  
First, let's take a look at my lands.

Not great, but it could be worse. I set all the taxes to the highest possible and start shifting every spare unit South towards Gaul. I send Belenus and his army Westwards towards Armorica.

That's a bit more like it. I end turn. I make about -3000 profit that turn. I am relying on some quick conquests to boost my treasury. Nothing much for this turn; I keep moving my troops and get a trade agreement with Gaul, at the same time exchanging map info.

By now I have rallied my forces at Samarobriva and they are about to set off South, and I have a trade agreement with Germania as well.

I would like to sit outside and starve out the Armoricans, but I don't have time; I hate assaulting with warbands, their crappy morale is really annoying when the opponent makes a last stand in their square. My warbands usually flee right then. Oh well, here goes.

That was just a random shot of the battle for the plaza. Well, it could have been worse.

Meanwhile, Prasutagus and his men set off South for Alesia. Look at the size of that army; almost a full stack. For this early in the game, that's quite a juggernaut. My spy just died trying to get back into Alesia. Even though he had a 93% chance of success. Senaculus must be really stupid; no loss.

This is the first time in the campaign I have actually made a profit. Things are looking up.

I have decided to disinherit Cynfawr to make Prasutagus the faction heir. I always do that; maybe I just don't like those moustaches.

Ahah; here comes the suicidal Gallic king to relieve my siege of Alesia. How convenient; I won't even have to assault it, I can just destroy them in the open.

I decide to take on the king and his bodyguard first with one of my warlord chariot units. Not much challenge there.

Turns out, not much challenge anywhere. In the end I don't even have to use my infantry, except for one mercenary spear unit which was attacked head-on by a band of Gallic cavalry. More suicidal Gauls.

A clear victory. One of my generals died in the fighting, though. Cynfawr, I think. I would mourn him, but he only died because he ran away. We do not mourn cowards.

Next turn I assault the city, and the bare remnants of its defenders. This time I don't even bother to fight the battle myself, but auto-decide. The result was never in doubt. The Gallic capital is mine!

I meant to enslave, to boost the population of my own capital, but I thoughtlessly occupied instead. Oops. Anyway, I can now recruit spies to replace Senaculus.

Meanwhile, Belenus and his army march South from Condate and besiege Lemonum, capital of Aquitania.

Shortly afterwards, a pirate fleet attacks my vulnerable ships just off the coast of Belgica. Desperately outnumbered and outclassed, Admiral Lugotorix was defeated. Next turn would find him back in the harbour retraning, as I also begin building a fleet at Londinium.

Next turn, I assault Lemonum. I think I may be getting the hang of this warbands-assaulting-cities thing.

I was wrong. Some very sloppy commanding on my part. I even had to send my chariots into the town to help, which I normally avoid doing because there isn't really enough space for them to manoeuvre. My slingers and light chariots all got caught in melee at one point, while my four warbands were busy wiping out the remnants of one gallic warband in the town square. I am sure I have never fought in a more spectacularly clumsy manner.

Still, victory in the end. Aquitania is mine.

It is my eighth province; I am already halfway towards my win conditions, but it will be a lot longer than that before they are fulfilled.

Uh-oh. This cannot be good news. Germania has declared an alliance with Gaul. It looks like I will be fighting a two-front war quite soon; and that's not allowing for the Julii interfering...

It is Winter, 267BC. Not bad going so far. My next targets are Narbo, owned by Gaul, and Lugdunum, owned by the rebels - unless Germania gets there first. Both are going to be quite a challenge. There is also a band of rebels standing near the crossroads on the Island, and the pirate fleet near Londinium is still at large. Ah, challenges await the Kingdom of the Stag!

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 07-05-2009 @ 02:51 AM).]

posted 22 June 2009 00:39 EDT (US)     2 / 158  
Aha, finally showing your skills. Albeit a short campaign already half done. Crud.

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 22 June 2009 01:45 EDT (US)     3 / 158  
What are you going to do about the Julii, no doubt you'll see them pretty soon.
posted 22 June 2009 02:35 EDT (US)     4 / 158  
Finally a new AAR. I quite like it, so any chance you can make it a long campaign?

EDIT: From looking at your source code it seems that you are uploading .png images. I think .jpegs would be better as they use up less space.

AAR Coming real soon :P

[This message has been edited by Erzin (edited 06-22-2009 @ 02:36 AM).]

posted 22 June 2009 06:13 EDT (US)     5 / 158  
vampiric canniba-
What skills? I'm just filling the vacuum as best I can. Still, I'm flattered.

I'm only doing a short camapign if I don't have time to do a longer one. If I do, then I most certainly shall.
---
Profile Picture-
The Julii won't be a problem. The only faction I know I can't beat is Egypt; but thankfully, this campaign won't go that far. I hope.
---
Erzin-
As I said, if I have time I will make it longer. Glad you like it.

You're right, jpegs would be better, but I don't want to worry about another directory, and another step in the process of posting the pictures. Yes, this way takes longer to upload, but I just minimise and work on something else. Dual core is so useful.
---
I shall probably make another update in two days. After that I should be able to make more regular posts for a couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-22-2009 @ 06:15 AM).]

posted 23 June 2009 02:02 EDT (US)     6 / 158  
Wished.

I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 23 June 2009 14:11 EDT (US)     7 / 158  
Thanks for the wishing. I feel much more confident now.

Only a small update today.

This is not good news. A Gallic stack, under the leadership of the terrible Vindex of Gaul, is marching North from Narbo to the newly conquered Lemonum.

I send a substantial force West from Alesia. Realising it still disposes of a plentiful garrison, I continue with my plan to attack Lugdunum as well. There is a small German force nearby, and the walls are slightly damaged, my spy tells me. Apparently, the Germans attempted an assault and failed.

I'm not sure whether or not to trust that spy's intelligence however. He just failed to infiltrate the town, despite a 75% success rate.

Well, the Gauls besiege Lemonum as I bring up my reinforcements. I sent my swifter units ahead just in case; a handful of chariots. I am inclined to believe that they could take on those Gauls by themselves, but to be on the safe side, I wait to bring up the rest of my force.

This was a rather unfortunate strategical blunder. I attacked the superior pirate fleet with my ships from Londinium, expecting to weaken them. I would then retrain in the harbour, and attack them again. The plan was, that eventually this would weaken them so much I would defeat them.

That was the plan anyway. Unfortunately, I overlooked the fact that my ships do not remain in the harbour after a failed attack. They retreated up the East coast, towards Eburacum. The pirates then attacked them again. There were not very many of them left by then. Lugotorix and his men sleep with the fishes.

Well, at least the pirates have left the channel. By the time they return, I'll be ready. Hopefully. Anyway, we just lost our status of largest faction; I guess Egypt has conquered Bostra and Antioch.

Yep; I don't think the Seleucids are long for this world, judging by the political situation in the East. It's really quite mean the way those Easterners always gang up on the Greeks.

Back home, I can now train head hurlers! This is where the fun begins...

Further South, my reinforcements have at last caught up with their commanders. I attack Vindex. The odds are greatly in my favour, but Vindex stays around. I'm used to suicidal Gauls by now.

My reinforcements - that is, the garrison of Lemonum - are delayed! I was a bit panicky at first; turns out, I won't even end up using them at all. Most of the Gauls will be in flight by the time they finally show up.

I attack their left wing - that is, opposite my right - with my warlords. Chaos ensues. In the fighting, one of my generals dies, after being engaged by a warband while stationary. Oops. And he showed such promise.

Still, I end up winning over here and put most of the Gallic left to flight. Quite straightforward, really. Put the general and cavalry to flight, and the rout spreads like wildfire. This is where my reinforcements show up. I ignore them for the rest of the fight; too many men to manage, when all I really have to do is chase down routers.

Their right wing - opposite my left - advances. But they are outnumbered by my warbands 2:1 once my cavalry mercenaries and light chariots take out their support, and they rout in short order. Here you can see my cavalry chasing down one of their last units that are actually still part of the fight.

And here you can see my warlords have chased off the Gallic cavalry and are about to attack the infantry rear. They never get a chance however; I realise they won't be needed and send them to chase down routers.

I don't know whether these guys are waiting to ambush me or are running away. Either way, moments later they would be withdrawing from the advance of my chariots who were running down their brothers-in-arms.

They routed just as they crossed the red line. My warlords were right behind them.

They just missed them. To make up for it, I sent them after a routing skirmisher warband. They kill a good few of them before they make it across the line as well.

I send them after the remnants of the last Gallic unit in the field. They are moments too late; instead they crash into my own warbands, who had pursued those Gauls across half the battlefield. Despite the discomfort of the cramped conditions thus created, they begin celebrating the victory.

For victory it was, and using only half an army. Had the garrison of Lemonum not turned up, this would have been a heroic victory and a famous battle marker. Oh well. I let quite a few Gauls escape though, and among them I fear was thei general. I hope I'm wrong. I remember discontinuing the chase of the routing general's unit at the beginning of the battle because I needed my warlords to continue dismembering the Gallic left. I'll have to check what happened to him.

Peace reigns in Aquitania. The Gallic army is nowhere to be seen. Either it retreated South so far I lost sight of it, or the survivors fled into the wilderness, abandoning their cause. Either way, they are gone where they bother me no longer. I besiege Lugdunum; with luck I'll have time to starve them out, but I did send a force with the intention of assaulting.

Things look in my favour for now, but who knows what the Germans are brewing for me in their deep pine forests? And I have not forgotten Narbo. I expect I have destroyed the brunt of its armies, but what if I haven't? I for one do not underestimate the Gauls...

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-23-2009 @ 02:29 PM).]

posted 24 June 2009 02:03 EDT (US)     8 / 158  
Good strategy, taking Lugdunum first. If you have the forces, I would strike the northern Italian peninsula to drive the Gauls away from your fronteir and rough up the Julii. Then, go up the Alps and take Hermann in the rear ( ), and make a direct approach from Alesia. Good luck.

I'm not playing all the wrong notes. I'm playing all the right notes. But not
nessescarily in the right order.- Eric Morcambe.
I have the body of a GOD!- Buddha...
www.Nottinghamrugby.co.uk
They have sown the wind, now they will reap the whirlwind.- Arthur "bomber" Harris.
posted 24 June 2009 02:21 EDT (US)     9 / 158  
Another excellent update. I am very much enjoying this!

posted 24 June 2009 02:21 EDT (US)     10 / 158  
Palatine Warrior-
It is a tempting suggestion; but I do not plan on moving into the Po Valley. In general, on the harder difficulties, AI factions do not attack other AI factions with which you are at war, and I would rather be fighting the weak and vulnerable Gauls than the powerful and secure Julii. I don't think I'll be moving into Italy any time soon; not until I have the cash and resources. Until then, I shall concentrate on guarding the Alpine passes. My long-term strategy, if I end up doing the long campaign, is to conquer Spain. Once I control Gaul, that will be my next direction. I need the money for my eventual assault on Italy.

EDIT: My next update is shorter than I expected it to be, but there are far more pictures - I took 94 screenshots. I won't publish them all, but it will take a while before I've uploaded the ones I'm going to use. Sorry about the extremely long posts, but this is an AAR.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-25-2009 @ 04:52 AM).]

posted 24 June 2009 12:34 EDT (US)     11 / 158  
It's hard to believe I'm only ten turns in. It feels a lot longer.

I send my spy from Alesia off to the Germanic town of Trier.

Next I send Barrivendos out of Londinium to deal with some rebels. He hires a mercenary warband to help.

The AI has measured the odds rather badly, considering the numerical difference. Speaking of numbers, take a look at the size of my faction leader's bodyguard unit. 61 men! On this unit scale, that's pretty huge.

A flanking manoeuvre later on the part of my warband, and victory is mine. I quit the battle as soon as the enemy started routing; it's a waste of time chasing them down, as rebel armies vanish anyway as soon as they're defeated.

My faction leader gained two retinue members from that little expedition. I glance around my empire for spare generals to transfer them to, as Barrivendos is quite old; but all my family members are way South in Aquitania. To be precise, on a reconnaissance mission to Narbo. owever, they bumped into Vindex on the way. The infantry are not far behind, but I can't reach Vindex this turn.

[MORE AFTER DINNER ]

[LATER, WITH A FULL STOMACH AND A FEELING OF CONTENTMENT]

*belch* Ah, where was I?

Next turn, I attack Vindex. He retreats. I attack again. This time he is forced to fight.

Given the odds, I can't even be bothered to fight the battle. I auto-decide. The result is a victory, and a disproportionate loss to my light chariots. That is ever the cost of letting the AI fight for you.

Prasutagus and his men move on as quickly as possible. I besiege Narbo. There are still a good few Gauls around, it seems. Nothing Prasutagus can't handle though...

My diplomat opens friendly relations with Rome.

There are pirates in the Channel again. Don't they ever give up? And rebels near the crossroads on the Island too.

My spy reaches Trier, and is surprised to find... nothing. Usually Trier is bristling with a vast garrison and a tiny population by now. So where did their armies go?...

On the Gauls' turn, they bring up reinforcements and sally from Narbo. The Gauls have more men left than even I bargained on. Still, I am quite confident; the terrain seems ideal, and I have a sufficient force of warlords to take on Hannibal (that's an expression, by the way. Not to be taken literally).

But when battle joins, I realise just how unsuitable the terrain is.

I retreat as fast as possible.

One of my female realtives wants permission to marry this suitor. I didn't like his name. What kind of name is "Adcobrovatus"? And he may be sixteen, but he looks about thrity-five. Still, I'm short of family members so I accept.

A handsome profit that turn.

Prasutagus and his huge army move back into Narbonensis, driving all before them.

Some rebels have popped up near Lemonum and my spy has reached Mogontiacum. Not much there either, but plenty of troops nearby. Still not as many as I'm used to Germania having at this point though...

Whoopsies. I had completely forgotten these two existed since Turn 1. I had better get building.

A Spanish diplomat has arrived. We negotiate a trade agreement with him.

Predictably, the Aedui Rebels sally a single turn from their surrender.

I rout their infantry in short order in front of the gates. My druids, slingers and one warband force entry on the heels of the routers. The rebel cavalry attacks my rear, to which in response my second warband attacks the rear of the cavalry. The horsemen break off to attack them, and quickly rout. This results in my victory.

I choose to end battle rather than waste men assaulting the square. Lugdunum is mine! I occupy. The population is quite large; I will be able to upgrade before long.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-29-2009 @ 04:05 AM).]

posted 24 June 2009 12:36 EDT (US)     12 / 158  
Excellent Job Edorix!
It's good to see some one do a Britannia AAR. Good Luck!

Plus dont you love the size of Barrivendos's Chariot Body Guard. That force is one to be reckoned with.

[This message has been edited by IncendiaryPiggy (edited 06-24-2009 @ 12:39 PM).]

posted 24 June 2009 13:34 EDT (US)     13 / 158  
Thanks, Incendiary.

Hah! Suck on that, Pharaoh!

I attacked some pirates again, expecting to lose, and attempting to weaken them. In fact, I won! My first victory at sea!

Maybe I'll be able to starve Narbo out. I hope so. I've still only got warbands for infantry; woad warriors aren't much use at the momentt, as I am expanding rapidly and conducting a lot of sieges, and they are not terribly suited for fighting in prolonged combat. They rely on a charge and a quick rout.

This tiny German force is being really annoying. I can't get my men past it from Alesia to Lugdunum, where I am gathering an army to attack Massilia. And I don't want to attack them, because war with Germania is not something I want at all.

Oh, brilliant. More pirates. These guys just don't ever give up...

I'm not so lucky this time. Yet another defeat at sea.

You see these two light chariots? They were headed for Lemonum to fight off the rebels, but I have redirected them for the attack on Massilia.

Another band of rebels. And they have chariots; this should be interesting. Barrivendos marches from Londinium to meet them. He brings along my only unit of head hurlers.

The battle begins. Barrivendos goes off round one side to try and draw off the chariots to expose the infantry. He fails; instead, he leaves his own infantry exposed to a chariot charge. That was rather foolish of me. It's not often I see head hurlers trying to stand up to a heavy chariot charge; their numbers dropped from 80 to about 26 instantly and they routed. Barrivendos eventually caught up with the chariots, and slaughtered them. He went back to deal with the infantry, chasing down some, and routing all units at one point or another. Only fourteen escaped from two whole units, then Barrivendos hurried to the high ground to rest before he took on the two rallied warbands. As they approached, he charged towards them. They routed just before contact, and I chose to end battle rather than chase them down.

A victory in the end, but at a cost. That was not an auspicious start to the military career of my head hurlers.

This man wants to marry another of my female relatives, but I deny him permission. What kind of stupid tribe-name is "the Britanii"? On retrospect, I should probably have accepted.

Another extremely handsome profit.

What? When? How? I guess Pharaoh captured Petra. A glance at the mini-map with FoW off reveals I am right. Well, let the "Civilised" folk celebrate for now. They'll be smiling on the other side of their face before long...

My army from Lugdunum marches South to Gallic-held Massilia only to discover this. Another huge Gallic army! Where do they keep getting these men from??!!

Meanwhile I assault Narbo. I auto-decide this one; another heavy toll on my light chariots, but now Narbo is mine and I didn't have to struggle with my warbands' crappy morale.

The last of the original Gallic territories on this side of the Alps is captured! I enslave the population only to discover that the remnant numbers only about five hundred. Oops.

My diplomat reaches Massilia in the hope of bribing it, but it is governed by some loyal family member. I try and negotiate a ceasefire instead, but they won't hear of it. See if I care.

More Gauls; not many, but just enough to cause trouble.

I decide to turn my army from Lugdunum around to ... err ... go and see if those Germans who were annoying me have come back.

Hmm... Bad news for my position, because the Egyptians can only win.

Hey... Where did those Gauls go? They're probably waiting to ambush me in those trees there.

Even more pirates??!!

Next turn I send my diplomat back to Massilia again to collect information.

Now that's what I call profit!

Hmm... I don't trust them. Allies of Gaul wondering my lands? And they are Germans after all. Remember Varus? "Quinticili Vare, reddi mi legiones!" Oh wait... No you don't. That won't happen for over 250 years. Still, we Britons won't be falling for the same mistake those Romans did... or will do... or will have did... I mean... never mind. We won't anyway.

I really ought to introduce my female relatives to some decent-looking, clever, loyal, brave commanders. Except then they'd all be marrying me. I grant my permission - grudgingly. I need family members anyway.

I send up some reinforcements from Narbo and advance towards
Massilia with my first ever full stack army. Where did those Gauls get all those men from??!!

Another great profit for this stage of the game.

Next turn - typical - the Germans attack Samarobriva. I was so busy worrying about not getting ambushed by them and mixing up my grammar I forgot to worry that Belgica was under threat! I'll send some men down from Londinium - but I don't know if there are enough. Not many chariots, that's for sure. Oh dear.

A warlord and my two head hurler units land at Itius, and march South into the lands of the Ambiani. They are soon to be reinforced (ideally) with two more units of head hurlers; but time is short.

I am stalling to attack Massilia as I do not yet have a plan, and the Gauls are here in great numbers; to falter twice is not allowed in war, and I am bound to mess up on the battlefield at some point.

The Gauls seem to just keep getting more men. Maybe they're ignoring the Romans and sending all their men from the Po Valley? I ought to send a spy down through the Alps, but I am currently only employing one. Either way, there are enough Gauls to continue to pose a challenge, and now I have to worry about Germania as well...

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-27-2009 @ 07:50 AM).]

posted 27 June 2009 13:57 EDT (US)     14 / 158  
this is amazing hope that you can kick the gauls *** out of the histoy books .one of the resions that the guals have so many men is that on harder difficultys the ai gets more money cause the game cant inprove the ai so another reason might be that they still have enough regins to produce a couple of units each turn
posted 27 June 2009 14:18 EDT (US)     15 / 158  
Yes, I know, but they don't get that much more. Besides, it's the time more than the money I was thinking of. It's only turn 19; they can't have recruited much more than thirty new units, and I can't be their only threat. Or can I?

This update was meant to come yesterday, but I was busy. Here it is anyway.

Here is a shot of my Woad Warriors, as recruitable from Londinium, with one weapons and one experience upgrade. I plan to begin using them more, in order to give them the necessary experience required to fight the Romans.

I decide to besiege Massilia straight off. I have twenty units; they only have sixteen. The Gauls sally and call in their reinforcements. As usual with these big battles, I auto-decide. I shall fight some of these myself, but given the 2:1 odds the AI would give me, I wasn't going to miss my opportunity.

The result was a victory, naturally. I don't know where the survivors went off to, because there weren't many around later when I assaulted Massilia...

Next turn I assault the town, and occupy.

Huge garrison, small population. I was wondering why the people are so discontent, even without the culture penalty of the shrine to whoever-it-was. Maybe there's a spy in here somewhere... Gallic or Roman most likely.

My first negative profit in a while.

Woah woah woah, even more Gauls??!! These guys came through the Alps by the Northwestern pass. The AI never uses that pass! The Julii are definitely not bothering them. Things could be awkward if they decide to attack Lugdunum.

Brilliant. More Germans, swarming across the Rhine like crows to a carcass. They have besieged Alesia. But we are not ripe (or rotten) for the picking just yet.

I decide I can wait no longer to relieve Samrobriva. I bring in my chariots and head hurlers from Londinium to chase off the filthy invaders.

Whether it goes well or ill, this will be a day to remember.

This isn't great terrain for chariots.

However, there's plenty of good, open ground nearby. This shouldn't be too difficult; the Germans don't have as many spearbands as I feared, either.

I send Barrivendos and his huge bodyguard round the flank as a distraction while I deploy my reinforcements. They are set in loose formation for combat with cavalry. It makes it look like there are kind of a lot of them, doesn't it? "Our warhost is innumerable, stretching from horizon to horizon, and every man bears the blood of seven enemies." For Barrivendos's bodyguard, this is certainly true.

Another piece of good news; they have only one missile unit.

I know what you're thinking; this is not going to be very difficult.

You're right. Their leader is already numbered among the fallen.

Barrivendos and his men just got bogged down in the screeching women and barbarian mercenaries. Three chariots survived, Barrivendos thankfully among them; they rout the almost intact skirmisher unit.

The Germans begin to make a bad name for themselves; they flee. And all this accomplished so far by a single unit; the mighty Barrivendos and his deadly bodyguard.

Here's Barrivendos. He's the guy on the right. Look, he died his beard for the occasion; it looks silly, but he probably did it with blood, so that stops it being silly and starts it being heroic. In the middle is his good friend, Aurigarix. He is the driver. It takes a lot of skill to use invisible reins. On the left is Gayirix, Barrivendos's other good friend. His very good friend. They've been through a lot together. They met a few years ago; that's when Barrivendos stopped sleeping with his wife. Okay, cut that. Anyway, here's the heroic trio.

Unfortunately, a good few of those Germans escape. They'll be back; but for now, the victory is ours!

Barrivendos and the two generals start off South to relieve the siege of Alesia. All in day's work, for Barrivendos. Off he goes again, to save another day. Rescue the town of a handsome captain in distress...

My spy begins the long journey South to Italy, through Germany and the Alps. It will take him a couple of years at least.

The Dacians finally see sense and seek the friendship of the real power in Northern Europe. I am considering an alliance with them; except they'll just betray me and I'll have to conquer them. I'll see if I can bribe them into becoming a protectorate eventually.

The Germans are getting reinforcements too. This should be interesting.

Hah! Suck on that, Pharaoh!
again.

The Gauls didn't besiege Lugdunum; I've noticed that about the AI factions. they go out of their way to get territories they had before back, however much easier and more sensible it is to get a different one.

The Germans assault Alesia before Barrivendos the Mighty can arrive to save the day. I am not too confident; but I know I can't afford to lose. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I can win if I do this right. I'm just not sure what "right" is...

This is the German army.

I was too busy to take any shots before this. The Germans took the walls, exploiting their numbers and phalanx advantage in one area while I was worrying about my chariots outside the walls. I also had problems stopping my head hurlers running away; when I took skirmish off, they kept charging into melee. I ordered a full retreat to the square before my defenders were outflanked.

My head hurlers make all the difference.

My light chariots, having already wiped out the cavalry element, chase down almost all the routing infantry. A victory - I don't quite know how it happened.

My chariots intercept the reinforcements.

Let's get down to the nitty-gritty...

I divide my attack into two waves; my two junior generals in front, and Barrivendos behind.

The first assault routs the axemen and screeching women - the first and third lines. The second charge routs the spearmen general unit. There is no delicate manoeuvring in chariot warfare, whatever excuses I might make.

I wish the Germans would get more axemen into their armies. Spearmen are much harder to charge successfully from the front. Still, they rout quite nicely eventually; after all, they are enemies of Britannia, and the outcome is inevitable.

This guy took a while to die.

If only Brinno had started with four more men; then this would have been a heroic victory. Still, Barrivendos gets his victory. He must be nearly sixty by now. However his admiring gaze may make me feel uncomfortable, I shall miss him.

What do these guys think they're playing at? They flee at the first sign of battle, and then come back as soon as my chariots are a turn's march away.

First glimpse of the Romans in Briton waters. I doubt very much they will dare land.

The population of Narbo is still very small. It makes preparing an invasion of Spain a vert slow process. I currently only have nine units near Osca; they have fourteen. I daren't send more troops from Massilia in case the Gauls send more troops; or the Romans land an invasion force. If I had more chariots, I might risk it. But I'm also worried about the Gallic army that crossed the Alps by the Northwestern pass. Where did they go? Are they heading for the weak and vulnerable Lemonum? What role will the rebels play if the Gauls turn up on the doorstep?

I think I have a gruelling period of logistic-digesting and financial-military balancing ahead of me. Oh, yippee.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-27-2009 @ 03:19 PM).]

posted 27 June 2009 15:25 EDT (US)     16 / 158  
EDIT: From looking at your source code it seems that you are uploading .png images. I think .jpegs would be better as they use up less space.
I think I may do this. I must have at least two hundred and fifty pictures on imageshack by now from this AAR. And each takes up 2.5 megabytes. So that's 5/8 of a gigabyte by now. That's a lot of memory. I'm not sure how much I've actually got...

IMPORTANT! NEW VICTORY CONDITIONS!

I have decided that the short campaign really is too short. I am going to extend my victory conditions; I must control at least twenty-five provinces including Rome, and destroy or outlast Gaul, Spain, and the Julii.

posted 27 June 2009 18:28 EDT (US)     17 / 158  
IMPORTANT! NEW VICTORY CONDITIONS!

I have decided that the short campaign really is too short. I am going to extend my victory conditions; I must control at least twenty-five provinces including Rome, and destroy or outlast Gaul, Spain, and the Julii.
YaaaaY!!!!!!!!!!!

posted 27 June 2009 22:36 EDT (US)     18 / 158  
Yay! I'm enjoying this so much, now it is longer I am even more excited. Looking forward to the clash with that SPQR army.

posted 27 June 2009 23:03 EDT (US)     19 / 158  
I'm excited to see how your chariots fare against solid Roman infantry and the dreaded pila. There is one little thing that I'm wondering about though
If only Brinno had started with four more men; then this would have been a heroic victory.
I don't quite understand this, don't you need LESS men to get a heroic victory?
posted 27 June 2009 23:23 EDT (US)     20 / 158  
Brinno was the enemy general. If he had that many more men then if he won the odds would have given a heroic victory.

posted 27 June 2009 23:34 EDT (US)     21 / 158  
Oops, silly me. I really should read more carefully. -,-
posted 27 June 2009 23:55 EDT (US)     22 / 158  
I'm excited to see how your chariots fare against solid Roman infantry and the dreaded pila. There is one little thing that I'm wondering about though
If only Brinno had started with four more men; then this would have been a heroic victory.
I don't quite understand this, don't you need LESS men to get a heroic victory?
Dude, I destroyed 3 full stacks of roman infantry with 5 heavy chariot bodyguards. Just charge like crazy and after you slaughter the first few units the rest flee from fear. Never lost a single chariot, and they killed at least 3000 men(large scale) by themselves. It's almost too easy. Chariots are majorly overpowered. 5 chariot generals will kill a roman infantry unit in less than 2 seconds, so you just move from one unit to the next down the line, and then mop up the other 700 or so men that run afterward. This was of course on normal difficulty, so on hard you most likely wont get a full army route, but the chariots are still incredibly effective. Mass chariots>Organized infantry line.

"Communism is like a Mistress you later learn is a Mister and no amount of showers will ever wash away the shame.
Capitalism on the other hand is like the bosom of a women fresh out of the kitchen with sweat on her brow and enough milk to feed a village of children for weeks. And I'll tell you something: I. Want. That. Bosom."
posted 28 June 2009 01:16 EDT (US)     23 / 158  
With due respect JRV if you had 5 bodyguards for ANY faction all charging directly at a single unit short of Spartans then of course they would rout, it's not specifically because they're Chariot generals. The danger of fighting Romans is that while they aren't able to fight chariots as well as say... hoplites they do considerably better then the current barbarian warbands that he's been fighting with currently.

Besides, occasinally the brain-dead AI is smart enough to camp on top of a hill or rise. When this happens with a large group of pila toting infantry the chariots will simply fall apart before even touching the Roman line. While this can be easily avoided if you're paying attention, if you're not then one of your generals can easily be picked off. If you don't believe me then try using a 20 units of heavy chariots against 20 units of archer auxilla upon a hill. While once the chariots get within reach they'll destroy said auxilla you'll lose a LOT of chariots getting within reach of them. Believe me, I've tried using an egyptian heavy chariot spam on MP in a 2 vs 2 against 2 Romans. By the time I had reached their thin infantry line I had lost almost 75% of my chariots.
posted 28 June 2009 06:24 EDT (US)     24 / 158  
It's true; chariots really don't like all those Roman missiles. I've been experimenting though; on flat, neutral terrain, heavy chariots can reach the archer auxilia and tear them apart before they can cause too much damage. Legionary cohorts though are another matter; their pila cause serious annoyance i.e. damage, and considering they don't then immediately rout on impact thanks to their great morale, it's not easy. But they're no match for fully upgraded woad warriors and 5hp general's bodyguards. Besides, I hope to reach Rome some time before the Marian reforms. I shall be up against hastati, equites and velites; the worst problem will be triarii, who have only the same attack stat as warbands. But they do have seven extra defence points... Time alone will tell.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-28-2009 @ 07:47 AM).]

posted 28 June 2009 08:12 EDT (US)     25 / 158  
this is good if I were you I would try and take 2 or 3 german citys then offer then and some money to germany for a ceasefire trade rights and an alliance it might not be a very power ful alliance but still you wont be at war with them you can move some troops from that flank down and use them to assalt spain cause remmember you can get so many mercs from spain somthing like 3 spanish mercs 2 barbarian mercs a a barrleric slinger so you will be able to rip through the spanish defense line
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Kingdom of the Stag AAR (RTW Vanilla Britons)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames