Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: J Ursus Cato's Holy Roman Empire AAR 2010
posted 01 November 2010 10:19 EDT (US)   
While I was in the process of composing my AARs for a Rome: Total War campaign currently being run on my laptop system, I got to thinking about what I could do with Medieval 2. My regular PC could support the game better than the laptop did (the laptop's graphics hardware produced mixed results that were unsatisfying in M2TW, although there was an issue with my antivirus software (Kapersky Internet Security) which made it produce a warning box upon startup. However, I had been able to run it without any known issues.

I like Medieval 2 for a number of reasons, including the following:

• You had broader options in characters and actions, with new units that provided bonuses to additional aspects of the game, such as when you could use a merchant to lay claim to a resource to boost your income.
  • Gone was the issue of not being able to remove artillery from a fort or settlement that bothered me so often with fighting back against sieges in Rome.
  • You had the ability to advance through stages of the campaign as your faction's building levels increased, getting early gunpowder units and even gaining ships with the ability to cross the western edge of the map to reveal lands of the New World for conquest.

Of course, there was still a central authority, as in the Senate of RTW. Disobeying the Pope's authority had real consequences, including excommunication; but you also had to deal with a council of nobles who might want your attention in other ways. Ultimately, you would be requested to join a crusade against factions holding regions in the Holy Land, and being there risked contact with the hording factions of Mongols and Timurids later in the campaign.

I've settled on reinstalling M2TW on my PC as of this month. I also installed the Kingdoms ex-pack, but will be concentrating on the main M2 campaigns. With Fraps installed on my PC, I have the means to screencap the campaign and battle moves in order to construct an AAR.

There are 5 factions which you start with in Medieval 2: Total War:

England

England actually has a few options for expansion. I always moved to take the rebel regions on the island and, if possible, Rennes on the continent before France can do it. Beyond that, it becomes a waiting game to see if the Scots are getting aggressive and preparing for the eventual fight for my continental holdings against France or the Holy Roman Empire.

Militarily, the English are supposed to have strong infantry and a good archery unit (the longbowmen). However, their cavalry is lacking and they could easily get overrun by anyone with stronger horsemen.

France

The French actually have a very wide avenue for expansion, from Dijon and Metz to the east, to Rennes and Bourdeaux in the west. After that, my most frequent adversaries have been the HRE, Milan and England. I've often started with either Dijon or Rennes, just to get the additional port on the Atlantic, then focused on strengthening my kingdom's defenses in case the English made their moves.

France gets the strongest cavalry units early in the campaign, but their infantry at this stage is very weak. Therefore, I'd be hard pressed to find a way to strengthen that before the other factions start attacking.

The Holy Roman Empire

The Germanic kingdom known as the Holy Roman Empire is similarly situated as France is, with avenues for expansion all around. The one complicating factor here is that one of its home regions is separated from the others by the home regions of Venice and Milan, and conflict with these neighbors is as unavoidable as night and day. I generally seek to take adjacent territories to strengthen my economy and build up my defenses in case one of the rivals comes calling.

Militarily, the HRE is well-rounded at the beginning of the campaign. The problems start when you find yourselves lasting into the later phases and have few strong units to counter those of the other factions. Apparently, Creative Assembly made it so that the Holy Roman Emperor had a similar attitude to gunpowder that Napoleon Bonaparte took to steam-powered ships.

Spain

Spain gets a fairly tight starting spot between a potential rival and a mortal enemy. I've always made my first move towards the rebel region bordering the Pyrenees, and follow it up with the castle to the southeast. However, I'll be the one fighting the Moors almost within the period of 10 turns when that phase of expansion is done.

Spanish armies get some decent light infantry and cavalry in the early phase of the campaign, but lacks a strong heavy infantry at that time. This will mean trouble if you find yourself fighting against France or the English in an early game.

Venice

Venice is in a similarly tight starting position to Spain, especially since it has the HRE basically putting a pincer move on its home region from north and south. Milan isn't such a good neighbor, either. I usually started my campaigns by capturing the Balkan territories and building up my economy to support a strong navy.

Venice gets a decent spear unit early in the campaign. However, its cavalry is lacking, and I've found a tendency for lots of knights to be awarded to me for carrying out missions for the nobles, which is a real drain on me, financially.

The unlockable factions would include Scotland, Portugal, Denmark, Poland, Milan, Hungary, the Byzantine Empire, the Kingdom of Sicily, Russia, the Moors, the Ottoman Turks, and the Abbasids of Egypt. Both of the hording factions (the Mongols and Timurids) are locked.

I generally make my decisions as to which faction to play based upon personal ancestry. I chose the HRE due to myy mixed Italian-German ancestry (with a strong mix of English in it). There was also the location, which was central to a lot of paths for expansion that enabled me to pursue these paths freely in the early phases.

My plan of action in this new campaign would be to strike out immediately, siezing the first targets of opportunity and then makng moves to consolidate my Fatherland before the French, Danish or Italians make their bids to fight me.

Progress, Session I

I started off with "only vital information" advice set, so Lady Gwendolyn was giving me the introductory lecture on what I had and where to look. I went through the overview screens, as is always the part for my campaign sessions.

There was the faction overview. Apparently, each faction in Medieval 2 gets a slightly different victory condition: mine as the HRE was to hold 45 regions, including Rome, before the 225 turns were up. It was Turn 1 (Summer, 1080 AD).

I controlled 6 regions, governed from 4 cities and 2 castles. Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous was my faction leader, but he wasn't at the capital Frankfurt; he was in Bolonga in Italy, cut off by the Venetians and Milanese.

My family tree was rather small. Heinrich had two sons and a daughter. The rest of my generals were men of the hour (MOtH) adopted at some point prior to the game start.

Then came my rosters:

The military leaders were the following:

• Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous (age 40, faction leader at Bologna, 451 soldiers)
  • Dietrich von Saxony (35, general at Frankfurt, 440 men)
  • Maximillian Mandorf (30, general at Nuremburg, 290 men)
  • Ottó von Kassel (23, general at Innsbruck, 290 men)
  • Prince Henry (22, faction heir at Staufen, 297 men)
  • Leopold (20, family member at Vienna, 290 men)
  • Cpt (??, commander of troops in the Hamburg region, ??? men)

The regions controlled included the following:

• Frankfurt
  • Nuremburg
  • Innsbruck
  • Vienna
  • Staufen
  • Bolonga

My agents on the roster included:

• Agnes (age 21, princess in the Nuremburg region)
  • Peter the Warmonger (45, cardinal in the Nuremburg region)
  • Rainald Eriach (20, spy in the Breslau region}

The College of Cardinals who served under Pope Gregory of the Papal States included the following:

• Godzimir (Bishop Preferati, Poland)
  • Aston the Corrupt (Bishop Preferati, England)
  • Halstan (Bishop Preferati, Denmark)
  • Evio Perego (Bishop, Milan)
  • Brian Maknab (Bishop, Scotland)
  • Manoel (Bishop, Portugal)
  • Niccolo Amocacci (Bishop, Kingdom of Sicily)
  • Ulászló (Bishop, Hungary)
  • Oliverio Gusti (Bishop, Venice)
  • Étienne Tristram (Bishop, France)
  • Froderigus (Bishop, the Papal States)
  • Péter the Warmonger (Bishop, Holy Roman Empire)

My current rankings amongst the standings under the Pope weren't too good: at 30% (3 of 10 crosses) -- all the other factions were starting at 60%.

At present, I had no enemies, other than rebels. That was bound to change sooner or later, especially as the factions ran out of rebels to subdue.

I was ready to start the campaigning. The first things I did was move Captain Markus closer to the rebel castle at Hamburg. I had no intention of letting the Danish get their hands on it!

While this was going on, I move my spy Rainald northwest towards the Danish border, where he got a closer look at the rebels in the castle of Magdeburg. My option B would've been to take Magdeburg, but it wouldn't be necessary if Hamburg fell into my hands.

Stettin would be another option, but it would be hard to get to if I didn't take one of the intervening castles first. As it was, it was dangerously close to the Polish. I was actually going to aim for Prague, which was a town that could give my economy a boost when it was needed.

Markus laid the siege of Hamburg immediately. My next move was to send Count Dietrich north with a portion of his garrison from Frankfurt to join the man before something happened to make him rebel (it had happened before). Cardinal Péter was brought into Frankfurt region to aid in the conversion process (the region lagged behind most of the others in piety).

While this was going on, I began to bring Princess Agnes down to act as an ambassador for the Reich. I fancied that she would first contact the Milanese in order to set up an alliance aimed at keeping Venice at bay. Of course, things couldn't always work out that way, but it was worth trying.

Turn 2 (Winter, 1080 AD). The following reports summarized the information for me:

• EOT Financial: I was running a spectacular deficit (-4,712 florins), to be expected for a turn spent making recruitment and build orders.
  • Faction Announcements: My faction was the strongest, militarily; Alfgarda was born; and Heinrich gained the "Fair in Rule" trait as he oversaw the completion of a small church in Bologna.
  • Construction: small church (Bologna) -- the other five regions saw the completion of dirt roads for trade and movement bonuses.
  • Recruitments: town militia (2 at Bologna, 2 at Vienna, 2 at Frankfurt and 1 at Nuremburg), peasants (Innsbruck) and mounted sergeants (Innsbruck and Staufen).

That turn saw a surprise visit by the Venetians to Emperor Heinrich. The diplomat Guido Batile openly offered trade rights and a map of Venice's regions, which I had Heinrich accept. My guess would be that they were softening me up for when they'd come stab my back later.

There was also a promising young commander named Wenzel von Fanconia offered for adoption by Prince Henry. I accepted, knowing that we'd be needing all the generals we could get as the Holy Roman Empire expanded. Wenzel would be sent north to Frankfurt later.

The rest of the turn was spent moving my units to where they would be needed. The spy Rainald went northeast past Stettin to begin exploring the regions of Poland and points further out. Dietrich was on his way to take command of Captain Markus's besieging army. And Princess Agnes was making her way into the Alps west of Innsbruck.

It was at this stage that I decided to do a little tweaking. I was concerned that I'd be losing funds a little too quickly, so I moved the AI spend policy on the slider a little bit to the left to put a limit on how much could end up being spent. (I wasn't sure if this would affect overall expenditures, but at least the AI wouldn't be spending like a drunken friar if I neglected to take the towns off of "auto-manage".)

There were still no Papal or noble council missions at the end of Turn 2, so I advanced. That was when I got no less than three EOT messages. Princess Pioska of Hungary followed the Venetian example by offering trade rights and the maps of her kingdom's territories to Leopold at Vienna. Then the Papal diplomat Talentus Arlocti showed up at the Emperor's door offering trade rights, to which I had him counter-offer an alliance with the Pope, trade rights and a map exchange. Both were accepted with open arms.

The first noble council mission was offered starting in Turn 3 (Summer, 1081 AD). The rest of the starting reports were as follows:

• A Suitable Prince: Welf von Erfurt (age 30) offered his hand to my princess Agnes -- such loyalty to the Reich had to be rewarded!
  • EOT Financial: There was a small profit (79 F), possibly due to the lull in recruitments and buildng that went on while I awaited events with the siege at Hamburg.
  • Construction: dirt roads (Bologna)
  • Diplomatic: The alliance between the Holy Roman Empire and the Papal States was announced -- I wanted this to be my insurance from backstabbing by the Italians.
  • Faction Announcements: Princess Agnes celebrated her marriage (and her retirement from diplomacy); Leopold lost 1 loyalty point ("Feels Unappreciated" -- he wasn't going anywhere with that attitude).

To make him a little more useful, I took Leopold out of Vienna for a short trip to the northern border to build a watchtower overlooking the neighboring region of Prague. In fact, that was pretty much SOP for all of my military generals once things got started up, especially for those with a tendency to have lower civil traits or who weren't in command of a town where the tax rate needed to be controlled.

Advancing to Turn 4 (Winter, 1081 AD), I got only the single EOT financial report, since I wasn't in the process of recruiting any new units until I could get more income flowing.

• EOT Financial: A deficit (-319 F).

My first move this turn was to take the son in law Welf von Erfurt out on a trip to set up a watchtower to keep an eye on those pesky Italians from Venice and Milan, then go south to try and bring the rebels in Florence under Imperial control. He laid siege to the town and would wait for 4 turns for the outcome.

As I advanced the turn, two princesses came knocking on the door. The first was Ingrid of Denmark, offering trade rights to the burghers in charge of Frankfur; the second was Matilda of Sicily, offering the same to Emperor Heinrich at Bologna. In both cases, I accepted.

I was more wary of Denmark at any rate, since the faction was usually the more aggressive of the two which sought trouble with the HRE in many of my games. They ranked right up there with Venice and Milan in terms of being bad neighbors.

Turn 5 (Summer, 1082 AD) brought only a couple of reports:

• EOT Financial: I ran a slightly lower deficit (-128 F), which was like saying the National Debt grew less steeply -- those new regions were going to be needed soon!
  • Relations Status: My good relations with neighbors at this stage could only make the Pope happier.

With the sieges of Hamburg and Florence pretty much in waiting mode, all I could do was keep moving my spy Rainald through the frontier districts of Poland and hope that he came across an easy target that'd improve his skill levels without killing him. At present, the Poles didn't look too busy.

When I advanced the turn again, Prince Henry got a surprise visit from Princess Constance of France! She offered the straight trade rights agreement, to which I had Henry consent. She wasn't a particularly charming young lady...

By the time I got to Turn 6 (Winter, 1082 AD), I received 4 report messages:

• Bride Presented: Cristyne Windeck to Prince Henry -- I accepted since there would be the need for some heirs to the throne.
  • EOT Financial: I had no idea how I missed it, but I did -- there was something of a gain (90 F), since I didn't see the gold pot get lighter in the lower-right corner.
  • Construction: town hall (Bologna)
  • Recruitments: priest (Bologna)

The town hall would enable me to recruit a diplomat with which to carry out foreign missions such as the recent one for contacting Milan. The priest was Manfred von Munich (age 27), a rather low-level preacher who couldn't be counted on for more than doing minor missionary work in the provinces. No witch-hunter, he.

The spy Rainald continued his trek through the wilderness of Poland. Meanwhile, Wenzel von Franconia reached Frankfurt and built a watchtower to watch over the neighboring regions from the northwest. He was going to be needed to keep an eye on things until Hamburg fell into Imperial hands.

Turn 7 (Summer, 1083 AD) brought the following reports:

• Bride Presented: Heidindrudis Wahren to Leopold -- accepted, because the restless old boy needed a woman to keep him in line.
  • EOT Financial: A small profit (32 F) -- not much, but better than the other direction.
  • Recruitments: diplomat (Bologna)

That diplomat was Ruprecht von Mahren (age 34), a promising agent with 3 influence scrolls on him. He was dispatched immediately to Milan to open the dialogue. Meeting with Duke Giorgio, he offered an alliance, trade rights, and an exchange of map information, which the Duke happily accepted. Milan might've been worth watching, but I'd rather have a chance of them turning against Venice first while I consolidated the defenses of the Italian holdings.

I also got a glimpse of a neutral army crossing my territory: Prince Charles of Denmark, apparently frustrated in his bid for Hamburg, was headed somewhere else. I hoped it was further west than Frankfurt.

After moving the spy Rainald a little more to the east (he was next to Krakow at this point), I advanced the turn. That brought up the first EOT battle message: the Italian rebels controlling Florence had decided to give the Emperor's son-in-law a chance to cut his teeth in a battle!

• Welf von Erfurt (291) versus
  • Captain Bucello (244, Italian rebels)

The odds were about even, if slightly skewed in the Empire's favor. Bucello had those Italian spearmen and a couple of town militia units in his garrison, along with a unit of peasant crossbowmen. Von Erfurt had just the levy spearmen and peasant archers in his army.

The first thing one should notice in Medieval 2 battles is that you really don't get a waiting period when an enemy launches a sortie against your besieging army. You just go straight into the battle and have to use your friend, the "Pause" button, in order to get a chance to rearranged your forces to absorb the sortie as best you can. Von Erfurt's forces were standing downhill from the gate from which the rebels would come pouring.

My counter-move was to send the spear militia in front of my general to shield him from the onslaught of any of the Italians who might charge in his general direction. The archers would move a little to the left to where their fire could supress the advance a little and keep those crossbowmen at bay (at this stage, the little advisor in the upper-left was suggesting that I use fire-arrows: "You can set your arrows alight..."). I settled for standard arrows in this case.

Recognizing that the crossbowmen were on a higher level where their missiles could get increased range and effectiveness against my spearmen, I moved Welf out beyond the left flank to anticipate their move and try charging at them. (At this stage, I was reminded of the pause in movement for cavalry that Medieval 2 gives you -- no instant galloping like in Rome.)

Welf did just as wonderfully at routing the unit of town militia that came out to impale themselves on my spears. He managed to avoid the charge of the Italian spearmen in Bucello's force while doing so, but I needed to prevent those from reaching the archers, who were already taking fire from the crossbowmen in front of the walls.

With the rebel missile units dealt with, it was time to turn my general's attention to the melee itself. Bucello's Italians were beginning to press hard upon the Imperial militia, and Welf was brought into action to deliver a few hearty blows on the rascals before they could make an undesirable impression upon his men. Once these routed, it was a matter of pursuit through the gates of the town before they could be slammed shut.

It didn't take much effort to get inside the walls of Florence. While one unit continued the pursuit of Bucello's men towards the town square, I brought the rest towards the town to follow them in. The archers were to wait outside the walls to provide cover against the crossbowmen still fighting in the spaces between the buildings and the wall to the right, but Welf was needed to ride these men down. Afterwards, he would join the rest of the militiamen in charging the defenders in the square.

The rebel captain went down leading a desperate final charge against Imperial forces before they could take the square, leaving his men without a leader and quite desperately struggling for their lives...

It all came down the a final melee at the edge of the town square with the relics of Bucello's army. Welf played his part, charging through and behind the mass of rebel infantry that remained to deliver a final blow. The Holy Roman Empire were clear victors!

• Welf von Erfurt: 176 enemies killed (86 prisoners), 206 of 291 men remaining
  • Captain Bucello: 88 kills (no prisoners), no men remaining

Florence would be sacked. This would be the pattern for all towns and cities which didn't surrender peacefully; the income gained from looting would go towards the building of improvements in the other cities of the Empire, and for the recruitment of more men for the armies of the Reich.

Turn 8 (Winter, 1083 AD). The reports came in:

• EOT Financial: The capture of Florence and the loot brought in by sacking the town made a great profit for the turn (2,743 F).
  • Trait Increase: Welf von Erfurt's success in the town's capture brought him the "Proven Commander" trait (+3 command).
  • Recruitments: merchant (Frankfurt)
  • Relations: good (Milan) -- a sign that Milan thought highly of my behavior so far, but how long would it last?

One of the things that I noticed about the EOT financial report in Medieval 2 was that it included other summaries besides the obvious profit/deficit amounts. There was a military summary above which told you the number of recruitments, battles fought and won, and other significant details. Below, a balance of power ranking for various areas (the HRE continuously ranked 1st in military power for all the turns, so far...).

There was one unwanted character in the region of Florence at that turn, a heretic named Juva. I sent the priest Manfred von Munich into the area to see what his chances of eliminating the bastard were but they weren't so good (16%), so I brought him into the town to aid in converting the unbelievers. Thankfully, a cardinal from Rome would show up to aid me by getting rid of the heretic for me within a few turns.

Meanwhile, I had some relief in the fact that Prince Charles of Denmark had completely passed through Imperial territory without any open violation of our peace. I would have to consider the options of defending against this faction later, to which keeping a strong garrison in Hamburg would be of paramount importantce. In the meantime, Frankfurt had produced a fine merchant in Andreas Salier (age 31), who would immediately be sent into the region of Hamburg to claim the silver found there.

Advancing the turn, I got a pleasant surprise: the rebels at Hamburg had seen reason to surrender the castle without putting up a fight! I ordered Dietrich and his men to occupy the castle, sparing the population and limiting the looting to a minimum. Hamburg would be my bulwark against treachery by either the Danes or the Poles.

Turn 9 (Summer, 1084 AD). These were the reports:

• Nobles Mission: open diplomatic relations with Poland
  • EOT Financial: A deficit (-1,493 F -- mostly from build orders (churches... lots of churches)
  • Faction: Announcements: Vuifken von Erfurt born; trait increases (Fair in Rule -- Dietrich von Saxony, Ottó von Kassel, Leopold, Prince Henry and Maximillian Mandorf)
  • Construction: small church (Nuremburg, Vienna) and small chapel (Staufen, Innsbruck)
  • Relations: Very good (the Papal States -- no doubt due to the building of churches in the lands)

There were no further moves this turn other than to set my agents along their courses. The spy Rainald continued his journey east, the priest Manfred took up residence in Florence and the merchant Andreas Salier set up his silver trade in Hamburg province. I was going to send a diplomat to the west to contact Poland, but instead got contacted by them first!

The EOT message was from Princess Agnes Herman, who met Leopold at Vienna. The Poles freely offered trade rights and map information, which I had Leo accept.

Turn 10 (Winter, 1084 AD). There were 5 starting reports:

• Bride Presented: Fye von Bremen to Wenzel von Franconia (accepted)
  • Mission Success: 2 units of mounted sergeants at Frankfurt for the fulfillment of diplomatic relations with Poland
  • EOT Financial: A small profit (609 F)
  • Construction: dirt roads (Florence, Hamburg)
  • Recruitments: diplomat (Frankfurt)

Helmut Merowinger (age 29) was the new diplomat who finished training at Frankfurt. Originally intended to make contact with the Polish, I still sent him east in order to seek out and contact any of the other factions that weren't contacted yet.

And so I ended the session. For the next session, I had my eyes on any of the remaining regions to the north and east that might present themselves as an opportunity for conquest. There was Prague, a town which would do much to shore up my economy, and the castle of Magdeburg.

Onward...
Replies:
posted 09 November 2010 13:38 EDT (US)     1 / 10  
Well, imagine my surprise... you can at least post your own 1st reply to a topic. I would appreciate readers commenting on these AARs again. That way, you can all get to see how far I'm getting here.

For another shameless plug, my 2010 Brutii Campaign AAR is still up on this page. Follow the link in my signature at the bottom of this post. And don't forget to leave a comment, else I won't be able to inform you as to how far I've gotten in either campaign...

Progress

Session #2 for the 2010 Medieval 2 HRE campaign was a relatively quick one which went about 10 more turns and was wrapped up in about 2-˝ hours. I picked up where I left off after occupying the castle of Hamburg and acquiring additional territory for my faction. There were still a few rebel regions open for conquest, and the faction remained the strongest military power in the world.

The first thing I did for this session was to look through the overview screens after loading the last campaign save. I had made considerable progress in the first session; there was a chance that I could make a similar expansion for the second before things started getting hectic. The Holy Roman Empire now spanned eight regions, adding Hamburg and Florence to its original six.

Thus far, I had been able to make alliances with the Papal States and Milan. I would probably come to regret the latter, but if Venice was to attack, they could be hoped to attack the Venetians first. Having the Pope as an ally would also go far towards protecting me, as any attack by another Catholic faction would be likely to reduce their standings in his eye (mine were presently at 70%, or 7 of 10 crosses) and lead to their excommunication. In that case, I was clear to deliver as much punishment as possible until he felt that they had suffered enough.

Of the faction rankings, my present status was ahead of those of my immediate neighbors, overall. I was most concerned about Venice and Denmark, who were likely to be my immediate adversaries for the future.

The Imperial Family was growing. There would be at least one princess in the future, if things worked out. The latest birth was young Vuifken, the daughter of that Welf von Erfurt who took Florence for the Empire a few turns back. The rest of the family, generals and agents were as follows:

• Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous (age 44, faction leader in Bologna, 331 soldiers)
  • Welf von Erfert (age 33, family member in Florence, 206 soldiers)
  • Leopold (age 24, family member in Vienna, 440 soldiers)
  • Maximillian Mandorf (age 34, general in Nuremburg, 365 soldiers)
  • Ottó von Kassel (age 27, general in Innsbruck, 405 soldiers)
  • Prince Henry (age 26, faction heir in Staufen, 202 soldiers)
  • Wenzel von Franconia (age 27, family member in Frankfurt, 595 soldiers)
  • Dietrich von Saxony (age 39, general in Hamburg, 580 soldiers)
  • Péter the Warmonger (age 49, cardinal in Hamburg region)
  • Manfred von Munich (age 29, priest in Florence)
  • Andreas Salier (age 32, merchant trading silver in Hamburg region)
  • Ruprecht von Mahren (age 35, diplomat in Dijon region)
  • Helmut Merowinger (age 29, diplomat in Frankfurt region)
  • Rainald Eriach (age 24, spy in Krakow region)

My eight settlements controlled thus far:

• Frankfurt (pop 3,281; PO 135%; inc 1,420 F)
  • Nuremburg (pop 2,334; PO 145%; inc 1,468 F)
  • Staufen (pop 2,020; PO 195%; inc 749 F)
  • Bologna (pop 4,980; PO 135%; inc 1,816 F)
  • Vienna (pop 3,412; PO 135; inc 1,942 F)
  • Innsbruck (pop 1,154; PO 185%; inc 698 F)
  • Florence (pop 1,923; PO 140%; inc 847 F)
  • Hamburg (pop 3,015; PO 175%; inc 832 F)

So far, not one of my towns and castles had shown negative income. I checked on the current offices in the College of Cardinals before proceeding:

• Oliverio Gusti (bishop from Venice)
  • Domingo the Corrupt (bishop from Spain)
  • Étienne Tristram (bishop preferati from France)
  • Péter the Warmonger (biship preferati from the Holy Roman Empire)
  • Aston the Corrupt (bishop preferati from England)
  • Halstan (bishop from Denmark)
  • Evio Perego (bishop from Milan)
  • Brian Maknab (bishop from Scotland)
  • Froderigus (bishop from the Papal States)
  • Niccolo Amocacci bishop from Sicily)
  • Godzimir (bishop from Poland)
  • Manoel (bishop from Portugal)
  • Ulászló (bishop from Hungary)

My cardinal was among the Bishop Preferati in the Papal College. Sharing his rank were colleagues from France and England. I was ready to proceed.

Turn 11 (Summer, 1085 AD) gave me these reports:

• EOT Financial: Modest profits for the turn (610 florins); my faction also maintained its top ranking in military power.
  • New Mission: The Council of Nobles requested my establishing diplomatic relations with the kingdom of England.
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Fridewiga; Trait increases for Dietrich von Saxony (Noble in Rule) and Welf von Erfurt (Fair in Rule) due to the construction of church buildings in their settlements).
  • Construction: grain exchange (Bologna), small church (Florence) and small chapel (Hamburg)

I noticed the movements of this character within my territories on this turn. Tusco Delogu was a Venetian merchant who always seemed to have a knack for putting others out of business whenever I played as the HRE or a rival faction. I wasn't going to let this greedy bugger take out Herr Salier if I could help it, so I prepared to have Salier seek other business opportunities elsewhere once his rivals started closing in.

There was also the first rebellion in the realm this turn. A lone unit of brigands led by Captain Michel appeared astride the road south of Vienna, giving me the opportunity to test out the battle readiness of the town's governor, Leopold. Leo needed something to boost his loyalty and command traits.

• Leopold (21 men), versus
  • Captain Michel (61 men, rebels)

The odds were a little bit against him, but I figured that Leopold could deal with it.

Leopold's enemy led a unit of Hussites. As these men were missile infantry, I knew that a charge of armored bodyguard cavalry could overcome them, but chose to place Leo's men in open formation so as to minimize the impact of the enemy missiles.

The Hussites were tough fighters, for only a few seconds. They were able to take out nearly half of Leopold's bodyguard before losing heart in the battle. Even though the Baron was telling me at the beginning of the battle what my heavy cavalry could do (my settings included "Only Vital Information"), I had my doubts at first...

Finally, they got the bastard! This resulted in a heroic victory for the young prince. (I wonder if I'll see the marker in later turns?)

• Leopold: 59 kills (2 prisoners taken), 13 of 21 men remaining
  • Captain Michel:9 kills (no prisoners taken), no men remaining

Leopold gained the "Promising Commander" and "Winning First" traits from this battle. He also gained a notorious berserker in his retinue. I could imagine the spouse's reaction when he brought this fellow home: "What in the name of Heaven is that man, or is it a sort of beast?"

Things looked a little more promising for Prince Henry. He received a worthy candidate for adoption in the form of Lukas von Duisberg (age 20), whom I had him accept. This man would be useful in taking enemy castles and setterments, as well as defending them.

The rest of the reports for Turn 12 (Winter, 1085 AD) came out like this:

• EOT Financial: I ran up a deficit (-123 florins), but the Holy Roman Empire maintained its military rankings in the balance of power.
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Nikolaus von Erfurt
  • Recruitments: priest (Staufen, Hamburg)
  • Trait Changes: Wenzel von Franconia (feels Unappreciated)

The new priests were Rudolf Ritter (age 28) at Staufen and Theodoricus Godwinson (age 26) at Hamburg. These men would help bring the lands of the Reich up in the standings of the Catholic See.

Another Italian merchant, Leo Matarrese from Milan, showed up near the frontiers of the Empire, raising my concerns for the continued success of my merchant Andreas Salier. I was ready to uproot him and send him seeking more profitable ventures abroad. The noose was being tightened.

My spy Rainald was making himself useful in the lands to the east. While watching the progress of the Polish, who had just captured the rebel town of Iasi and gained a foothold on the shores of the Black Sea, he also spotted the Byzantine Emperor Alexius in Hungarian territory near Bucharest. Something was up...

This was further confirmed by the appearance of Anna Comnenus near the borders of Vienna region. She would be headed towards the town of Zagreb, which the Venetians had taken.

I advanced to Turn 13 (Summer, 1086 AD) and read the reports:

• EOT Financial: I started running a profit again this turn (388 florins), and the Empire maintained its military ranking.
  • Construction: land clearance (Staufen, Hamburg) and grain exchange (Florence) -- these helped the economy.
  • Recruitments: priest (Vienna)
  • War Declared: The Byzantine Empire on the Turks

The new priest this turn was Herman Karolinger (age 39) at Vienna. With the increasing activity of heretics in the realms, his services were going to be needed.

It was on this turn that I made my move on the Bohemian rebels controlling Prague. Leopold would be joined by Captain Hans from the Nuremburg garrison and Wenzel von Fanconia and the mounted sergeants from Frankfurt to capture the town, which promised a further boost to the Empire's economy.

I also noticed the appearance on the scene of the Russian princess Antonina east of Hamburg. I had plans to start expanding and send a diplomat in that direction, but it seemed that the Russians had anticipated this.

Turn 14 (Winter, 1086 AD). These were the reports:

• EOT Financial: The Empire continued its positive course, financially (400 florin profit) and militarily (100% power).
  • Construction: land clearance (Frankfurt, Bologna) and mustering hall (Staufen)

There was a heretic at large in the region of Frankfurt at this time. Abraham managed to evade his accusers, however, until Cardinal Péter would catch up to him.

The siege of Prague began on this turn. By now, Wenzel von Franconia had joined Leopold's army, and everything was in place to maintain the siege.

Turn 15 (Summer, 1087 AD). The reports:

• EOT Financial: Profits were slowly increasing (536 florins, and the Empire remained the 1st ranking military power.
  • Settlement Announcements: Bologna was ready for its upgrades -- I was going to need that stone wall with the city of Venice being right next door.
  • Faction Announcements: The priest Manfred von Munich got a witch hunter in his retinue (piety benefits); Dietrich von Saxony got a guard dog (personal security benefits).
  • Construction: grain exchange (Nuremburg) and leather tanner (Innsbruck)

I was thinking a little bit ahead here. I figured that armor upgrades were going to be needed for those settlements likely to take a direct threat of siege from Venice, Denmark or Milan. And having grain exchanges and farming improvements would go a long way towards improving my trade income to support the growth of the Empire.

Cardinal Péter the Warmonger finally got his chance to eliminate the heretic Abraham on this turn. He now gained the "Servant of God" trait for his successful efforts to maintain Catholic orthodoxy within the realms. Yet more work needed to be done, as another false prophet named Jubal showed up when Abraham was gone.

I had sent the briest Rudolf Ritter from Staufen after this fellow, but he failed in spite of his 66% success chance. The good cardinal would have to come to his aid.

Meanwhile, I had noticed the presence of the Russian princess Antonina near Polish Magdeburg and sent the diplomat Helmut Merowinger forth to catch her. He was made to offer an alliance and trade rights for a map exchange, which she accepted readily. I now had someone who could serve to keep the Poles preoccupied if they were to turn against me.

At this time, the other diplomat Ruprecht von Mahren was near the rebel French town of Dijon seeking a path towards the English, whose diplomat Laurence Bidell had stopped near Staufen castle. There was a pending mission to contact them, but Ruprecht would be delayed by the lack of roads on the frontiers.

I took a closer look at the garrison of the town of Prague that Leopold was now besieging. Most of the units there were light skirmishers, so success was expected if the assault was to be made. Yet I settled for waiting it out, as only 5 turns remained for the settlement to last.

Rainald the spy continued to observe the activities of the Byzantines and Hungarians out in the region of Bucharest. For the time being, I decided that none of it really concerned me, and if they were to turn against the Poles, that was one more distraction for my potential enemies on the eastern marches. I would move him further south to see what the Turks were going to do.

Turn 16 (Winter, 1087 AD). The reports:

• EOT Financial: Recent expenditures had contributed to a deficit this turn (-888 florins), but the Empire maintained its power.
  • Mission Failed: I couldn't reach the English in time, but I was determined to do so anyway.
  • Construction: land clearance (Vienna), wooden wall (Florence) and mustering hall (Hamburg)
  • Recruitments: 2 spear militia (retrained, Innsbruck)

I was starting to set up further improvements at the towns of Florence and Vienna. There were also the first steps towards upgrading my military units.

My merchant Andreas Salier finally found a commodity worth investing in while seeking a new resource for export. In the wilderness of Scandinavia, he came across deposits of amber, which were far more valuable than the silver of Hamburg at this time. Once he set up his operation, however, I was going to keep an eye on him from time to time to ensure that his rivals wouldn't catch him unawares.

For Turn 17 (Summer, 1088 AD), there were a number of reports that came in, some of which I needed to act on quickly:

• New Mission: The council of nobles had noticed that Vienna was lightly garrisoned and decided that I needed at least 4 more units to reinforce the region.
  • Agent Detected: Hungary had shown signs of hostile activity this turn, as one of their spies had been caught and executed in my regions.
  • EOT Financial: I was turning a profit again (576 florins), and the Empire maintained its strength.
  • Faction Announcements: Hermann Karolinger got a monk in his retinue; both Prince Henry and Ottó von Kassel got magicians in theirs (reduction in piety -- damned sorcerors!)
  • Recruitments: town militia (Nuremburg, Florence)
  • Diplomatic: Alliance, Sicily and Spain

There were now several developments worth watching. I started seeing the first signs of hostility from my neighbors in the spy from Hungary and the presence of the Venetian diplomat Guido Batlle at the gates of Vienna. As Guido kept guesturing like he was trying to make an offer, but no messages popped up, I recalled something I read earlier about this being a precursor for an act of war -- those reinforcements were going to be needed soon!

Ruprecht von Mahren caught up with Laurence Bidell this turn. Although the old bugger was pretty rude, he did accept the same offer that I gave to the Russians (alliance, trade rights and map exchange). I needed someone to keep the French preoccupied as I hoped the Russians would do for Poland.

Those actions taken for the turn, I advanced. Turn 118 (Winter, 1088 AD) brought me the following reports:

• Bride Presented: Lype Dietrich for Lukas von Duisberg, accepted.
  • EOT Financial: My profits were increasing (1,914 florins), and the Empire remained strong.
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Charles; a pagan magician joined the retinue of Emperor Heinrich.
  • Construction: wooden wall (Nuremburg) and stone wall (Bologna)
  • Recruitments: 2 town militia (Vienna) and 2 peasant archers (retrained, Innsbruck)

The preparations of the defense of the Empire were picking up their pace. Given the increasing restlessness of my neighbors, they were going to be needed.

Before the turn was out, I had my spy Rainald seeking a path across the straits into Anatolia, where he came across the Venetian faction leader Doge Domenico in Byzantine territory. It was puzzling that no announcemnts of open hostilities between the factions was announced. Perhaps the Doge was only preparing himself for that action, but it seemed foolish to go traipsing around in your potential enemy's territory alone without any support. Then again, so was the Byzantine Emperor...

I finally got the cardinal into Staufen region in time to eliminate the heretic Jubal. He had a 95% success chance here, such was his level of skill at this point.

I advanced to Turn 119 (Summer, 189 AD). The starting reports came in:

JUCM2HREs2T19rptEOT

• EOT Financial: A large deficit this turn (-2,044 florins), all expenditures to ensure the maintenance of the Empire's power.
  • Mission Success: The council of nobles rewarded me lightly (500 florins) for getting those 4 town militia units up for the garrison at Vienna.
  • Recruitments: 2 town militia (Vienna), priests (Nuremburg, Innsbruck) and peasants (retrained, Innsbruck)
  • Relations: very good (the Papal States)

The priests recruited this turn were Arnold von der Pfalz (age 27) at Nuremburg and Karl Zern (age 38) at Innsbruck. I would be looking to get a few more priests to try and counteract those pagans who managed to weasel their way into the Emperor's family.

I advanced the turn, now fully expecting the Bohemians at Prague to come sallying forth. Leopold and his army were in place to receive their sortie. This they did:

• Leopold: (467 men), versus
  • Captain Jens: (264 men, Bohemian rebels)

Leopold and Wenzel were well-placed to oppose the enemy garrison, numerically and with the types of units at their disposal. Of course, it was now a matter of scrambling to get the formation in place to best turn the tide.

As with the battle at Florence, I scrambled my spear militia to the front to receive the Bohemian light infantry as it charged out from the gates. My archers remained behind the lines to cover them against the enemy missile units while the generals and mounted sergeants were brought around the flanks to set up their maneuvers.

The prince and baron, I directed immediately against the missile infantry behind the enemy lines. These were quickly routed and driven into the town gate, which was captured as my generals followed them up.

With their missile cover driven off, the Bohemian infantry was locked up in the melee with my spearmen. The mounted sergeants were brought into play, charging at their rear until each broke and routed. When all three of the engaged enemy infantry routed, the battle was won, and it was a matter of eliminating them before any of them could get back into the town and attempt to make their stand in the square.

The conclusion of the battle was carried out beautifully. The broken rebels were run down by the cavalry and the triumphant army, while the generals had completely eliminated the routed missile units in the town before they could even go halfway towards the square. Prague was captured and sacked:

• Leopold: 51 kills (213 prisoners); 430 of 467 men remaining
  • Captain Jens: 44 kills (no prisoners); no men remaining

I reached Turn 20 (Winter, 1089 AD). There were several reports on this turn:

• Guild Available: Teutonic Knight's Minor Chapter House at Bologna, accepted.
  • New Mission: The council of nobles decided it was time to take the remaining rebel settlement of Breslau, north of Prague.
  • EOT Financial: The recent capture of Prague brought about an enormous profit (3,755 florins) which added to the Empire's overall ratings (military and overall, 100%).
  • Faction Announcements: Leopold, aspiring commander trait (command bonus); Welf von Erfurt, feels appreciated (loyalty bonus); Rudolf Ritter, monk in the retinue (piety and orthodoxy increase).
  • Construction: leather tanner (Staufen), mines (Bologna) and town watch (Florence)
  • Recruitments: town watch and priest (Bologna)
  • Diplomatic: Alliance, Sicily and Portugal

This turn, it looked like there was a rebellion afoot in the region of Florence. Captain Lanfrancus led 3 units south of the town, prompting me to consider sending my general Welf to deal with him before he became too strong. (I would get around to dealing with him sometime in the 3rd session.)

The new priest at Bologna was young Gerhard Guiskard (age 21). He had a decent piety rating and the divine connection trait, which would come in handy for any heretic who came around. I would need to do something to improve the church building in the town if I were to counteract the effects of that pagan magician in the Emperor's retinue.

I sent my young general Wenzel von Franconia forth with part of the garrison of Prague to approach the targeted settlement of Breslau. There were 4 units in the garrison, of which one was spear militia. Up until this time, I had taken all of my settlements without the use of mercenaries, but I had a feeling that this was going to change this time. In Medieval 2, mercenaries were more of a drain on an economy, so I would have to choose carefully how many I needed and how long to retain them.

Meanwhile, I had finally gotten Rainald the spy across the straits into the region of Nicaea, where he caught a glimpse of the Turkish diplomat Murad Arif. The lack of good roads out here would diminish Rainald's effective range, but he would still have a good view of what paths I could take should the inevitable crusades come to pass.

At the end of the turn, I had my diplomat cross paths with the Spanish princess Uracca de Valiente, to whom he offered the alliance, trade rights, and map exchange treaty. She happily accepted, making one more check on French aggressions against the Empire should the conflict arise.

And so I ended the 2nd session. The next would tell me if I would be facing troubles at home or abroad...
posted 12 November 2010 07:07 EDT (US)     2 / 10  
I need more! Oh, and at a certain number of posts you can post back to back posts, like you just did.

"The only one here who could possibly help us is Edorix. Unfortunately, he is busy off killing Romans right now."- GundamMerc (an imagined quote)
posted 12 November 2010 07:19 EDT (US)     3 / 10  
Replies

@ GundamMerc:

I'm curious about that. I wonder what the number is when you're able to do the back-to-back posting thing? With that, I can keep that Brutii campaign that I was working on bumping up (I'm at session 12 and counting now). That being said, this campaign as the Holy Roman Empire has just completed session 4 and will be going up soon after this...

Progress

This next 20-turn session in the 2010 HRE campaign opened with me finding a bit of a surprise. I had forgotten the differences in the time scale alotted for each turn between Medieval 2 and Rome: Total War. As it is, I'll only go by turns now, leaving the years out of it, except for the occasional reference to the overviews during future sessions. What I found when I loaded the campaign was that the current year at Turn 20 was 1118 AD!

At this stage, I always go through the campaign map and overview screens to get my bearings as to what is going on and which characters are active. The Empire still had room for expansion, to the north and west. Kaiser Heinrich was still very much alive and in charge.

I recognized something that was missing from the screen caps folder in Fraps later, when I started composing this session of the AAR -- I missed all the screen caps for the faction members, settlements and agents! The overviews shown above were all I had to track the progress of the Empire at this stage.

Next to the Emperor, I knew that Prince Henry was the faction heir. Prince Leopold was the greatest general. The Holy Roman Empire now controlled 9 regions, with 6 cities and 3 castles. Only a few battles were fought, of which there were no losses to date.

The Empire had no enemies, save rebels at this point. That was going to change in this session but, for now, there were more allies than enemies: England, Spain, Milan, Russia and the Papal States. Relations with the Pope were very good (about 70%), with only the kingdom of Sicily being on equal footing with me.

There were plenty of young heirs coming along in the Imperial Household. The latest addition was Charles, the son of Leopold. There was also still a young princess who had yet to reach the age of majority. She would be sent abroad to seek allies with the other factions, either by marriage or through diplomacy.

There were still at least four open regions within reach of the armies of the Reich. The little village of Breslau was currently the target of a mission assigned by the council of nobles, and I had Wenzel von Franconia headed there with a portion of the army that he aided Prince Leopold in the taking of Prague just a couple of turns before. There were also Stettin, on the coast of the Baltic Sea, Metz and Xx, both bordering the region of Staufen castle in the west. As yet, I didn't see any other faction making moves towards these settlements.

All Wenzel had to do was lay siege to the village. To shore up his army, I had him hire a couple of units of mercenaries from the region, then set the army to work. Breslau had only 2 turns to surrender or fight.

Luckily for me, I somehow managed to hit the right screen cap button (I had changed it from the Fraps default) before advancing the turn. This brought up an EOT message -- the Moors were seeking an alliance, trade rights and map information.

Their diplomat Driss Arazi had solicited Welf von Erfurt at Florence. I had him make the counter-offer of simple trade rights, not wanting to make allies with a likely enemy. It was barely accepted: "There is no honour in forcing the Sultan's hand like this, Infidel."

Turn 21 (Summer, ???? AD). The reports came in:

• EOT Financial: I had a small deficit (-232 florins), but the Empire held its overall and military ranking.
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Heilewif von Fanconia; Leopold gained the "Noble in Rule" trait (+2 Chivalry)
  • Construction: leather tanner (Vienna), garrison quarters (Hamburg) and small church (Prague)
  • Recruitments: town militia (Prague)
  • Cardinal Report: Death of Brian Maknab (Scotland); promotion of Theodoricus Godwinson (HRE) -- the Empire, it seemed, was gaining influence within the Papacy.

It was on this turn that I set up Wenzel to begin the siege of Beslau. Among the units he recruited were spearmen and crossbowmen. I limited the number due to the expense of keeping these men on the payrolls. Still, not wanting to have unnecessary bloodshed or losses in men, I maintained this siege in spite of the village having no defensive walls.

In the region of Florence, I had Welf von Erfurt sally forth to deal with the rebel Captain Lanfrancus. Recruiting mercenary spearmen for the turn, I drove the rebel from my lands (the Pope could deal with him), then disbanded the mercenaries.

The only other moves that I had this turn were with my agents. Of my diplomats, I brought Ruprecht back closer to the fatherlands to keep on hand while I sent the other one further south and west to reach Spain and contact the Portugese. The spy Rainald became my scout in Asia, watching the progress of the Byzantine Empire against the Turks and finding a path to the Holy Land, which was in the hands of the Egyptian infidels.

Turn 22 (Winter) advanced without incident. The reports came in:

• EOT Financial: I incurred a larger deficit in the past turn (-1,217 florins), but the Empire experienced no change in its status.
  • Construction: land clearance (Innsbruck) and dirt roads (Prague)
  • Recruitments: town militia (2, Florence) and priests (Innsbruck, Prague)

The new priests were Johann von Jungingen (age 33) at Innsbruck and Fritz von Bavaria (age 30) at Prague. Johann had a potential target in the Heretic Karl Zirn near the former settlement, but I kept him put in the castle due to his low success rate (19%). Karl would leave the region soon enough.

Just about the only other thing I did this turn was keep Rainald the spy on hand at Iconium to watch the Byzantine army lay siege to the place. The Turks were faring badly in this.

As I advanced the turn, I received the expected news: Venice attacked, laying siege to the town of Vienna. I had plenty of units on hand to defend the walls, but it was unlikely that I would get Prince Leopold there in time to do anything to help once I sent him. All I had to hope for was that the Venetian army was rather too weak to do any real harm to the defenders at this stage.

Turn 23 (Summer). The reports came in:

• Settlement Besieged: Vienna by Venice (I saw it coming, Guido!)
  • Mission Success: Breslau had surrendered to the army sent with Wenzel von Fanconia, so I earned the 2,500 florin reward from the council of nobles for doing so.
  • EOT Financial: A large profit (1,389 florins) and the extension of the Empire's ranking above all others.
  • Faction Announcements: Births, Theodoricus von Franconia and Gerhard; trait increase, Wenzel von Fanconia, "Fair in Rule" (he spared the villagers of Breslau upon occupying their settlement); retinue expands, Arnold von der Pfalz, monk (piety and orthodoxy increase)
  • Construction: town guard (Bologna)
  • Recruitments: peasants (Staufen) and town militia (2 retrained, Vienna)
  • Diplomatic: War, Venice against the Holy Roman Empire (Thank you, Dominic! See you later, Guido.)

The only moves that I made for this turn were to send the mercenaries from Wenzel's army back to join Leopold on his way back to Vienna, and to send Rainald on his way further east. The Byzantines had taken Iconium, and they and the Turks were likely to be fighting over this region for quite some time.

The next turn (24, Winter) opened with a new mission from the council of nobles. The reports that followed:

• New Mission: Take Stettin castle (2,500 florin reward)
  • EOT Financial: A large deficit (-2,076 florins) due to the siege just laid, but the Empire remained strong.
  • Construction: town watch (Prague)
  • Recruitments: diplomat and spear militia (retrained, Bologna)
  • Diplomatic: War, Portugal against the Moors

My diplomat recruited for this turn was Sigismund von Felben (age 32). He would be sent directly towards Rome to keep the Pope friendly with map information and 100 florin "gifts". Which he started doing right away, as the Pope happened to be out in the field with an army.

I took a closer look at the Venetian army besieging Vienna. There was one knight and at least 3 Italian spearman units. They already had siege equipment up, so I was expecting the EOT battle message once the turn was advanced.

And so it was:

• Captain Matthias (586 men), versus
  • Captain Aurso (243 men, Venice)

At the start of the battle, the army was placed at the wall opposite of where the Venetians led by Aurso. I made my arrangements, leaving the units on the walls where they could interfere with the units that would mount the ladders, while placing three units of town militia behind the gate with the intention to form a wall of spears against Aurso and his knights when his ram broke through.

While the archers did what they could from their location on the wall to the right of the gate, the militia spearmen and town militia were in a position to defend the walls from the Italians on the ladders.

As expected, the ram did reach the gate and break through, but my 3 units were prepared, standing in defensive posture as soon as they counter-charged the assault party entering the gate. Captain Matthias died a noble death in the melee, but his men held their ground, and eventually routed the assaulting army.

Once all of the Italians routed following the escape of their commander, it was a matter of running down the exhausted survivors as they wandered about on the snows outside the town walls. The garrison of Vienna had won a heroic victory!

• Captain Matthias: 161 kills (76 prisoners), 447 of 586 men remaining
  • Captain Aurso: 130 kills (26 prisoners), 6 of 243 men remaining

Prince Leopold would return to a town still belonging to the Empire. At the end of the battle, I received the message asking me what to do with the prisoners. The ransom wasn't very large, but I went with it. As had happened in so many past battles with the Venetians, they refused and the prisoners were executed en masse.

Immediately after the battle was finished, the reports for Turn 25 (Summer) came rolling in. Amongst these was the adoption candidacy for Wolfgang von Lübeck (age 25), apparently a veteran from the recent battle selected by Prince Henry. I gave my assent, given the commander's strong dread and command potential, and read off the rest of the reports:

• Adoptions: Wolfgang von Lübeck by Prince Henry
  • Enemy Army: The Venetian army was routed, thanks to the staunch defense (and heroic sacrifice) of Captain Matthias as Vienna.
  • EOT Financial: There was a profit again (813 florins), and the Empire remained as strong as ever.
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Thorsten von Erfurt; retinue expansion, monk for Gerhard Guiskard (+piety, -purity)
  • Construction: leather tanner (Nuremburg, Bologna), land clearance (Florence) and wooden pallisade (Breslau)
  • Recruitments: peasants (Innsbruck, 2 Hamburg), mounted sergeants (Innsbruck), sergeant spearmen (Hamburg) and town milita (Prague)

It was on this turn that the spy Rainald Eriach was in the vicinity of the regions of Antioch and Aleppo. He was finally on the final leg of his journey of exploration into the Holy Land, and now encountered armies of the Egyptian Muslims.

I advanced to Turn 26 (Winter) without interruptions. These were the reports:

• Events: The invention of the windmill was announced ("Making the Wind Work").
  • EOT Financial: A modest profit (1,137 florins), with no changes to the Empire's military and overall status (although the red seems to have indicated troop losses in the summary above).
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Harold von Franconia; trait increase, Wenzel von Franconia ("Noble in Rule"); retinue expansions, Fritz von Bavaria (monk) and Johann von Jungingen (witch hunter)
  • Construction: leather tanner (Frankfurt), castle (Innsbruck) and small church (Breslau)
  • Recruitments: town militia (1 at Prague, 2 retrained at Nuremburg, 2 retrained at Vienna) and spear militia (2 retrained at Bologna)
  • Diplomatic: War, Sicily against Venice; alliance, the Turks with Venice (Dogs of a breed, aren't they?)
  • Relations: Poor, Venice (Not caring much now, am I?)

For this turn, there wasn't much going on. I was preparing myself for the eventual next move by Venice, if it was still in a fighting mood, but they appeared to have their hands full with a rebellion in their capital region. Captain Geminiano was literally blocking the gates of Venice on this turn.

I only spent the rest of the turn moving my diplomats and spy further along in their explorations before advancing. At this point, the diplomat Helmut Merowinger passed the castle of Bourdeaux, which was now in French hands, although the Spanish prince Vaasco was nearby with 4 unidentified units. I wasn't sure what would happen there, but the Spanish had a tendency in these campaigns to start advancing northeast towards the region of Antwerp (the Spanish Netherlands). One way or the other, a potential rival was going to get tied down.

Turn 27 (Summer) made it without interruption. The following reports read:

• EOT Financial: A large deficit (2,137 florins), due to retraining and build orders, but otherwise no change in the Empire's status.
  • Construction: brothel (Bologna) and dirt roads (Breslau)
  • Recruitments: town militia (Nuremburg, 2 retrained at Vienna), priest (Breslau) and peasant archers (retrained, Nurembrg)
  • Relations: Good, England (an improvement)

The new priest at Breslau was Fritz Erlach (age 38). His piety was low, but his presence would still lead to improvements in the conversion rate in the region.

It was on this turn that Rainald finally reached Jerusalem. The city was in the hands of the Egyptians now, but it was only a matter of time before the Crusades would begin. They were late in this campaign as it was (after 1118 AD, when the historic Crusades began around 1099).

I advanced to Turn 28 (Winter) without interruption. These were the reports:

• EOT Financial: A profit (1,989 florins), and continued dominance for the Empire.
  • Events: The Byzantine Empire took the record for largest faction on this turn -- I needed to go see what happened to make them so.
  • Agent Found: Sicily had decided to send a spy into Bologna, but he escaped -- now I had two Italian factions with hostile intentions towards me.
  • Construction: garrison quarters (Innsbruck), bowyer (Hamburg) and land clearance (Prague)
  • Recruitments: town militia (Nuremburg, retrained at Bologna), spear militia (retrained at Frankfurt), peasant archers (retrained at Frankfurt and Bologna)

Cardinal Peter the Warmonger made an attempt at taking out the heretic Karl Zirn this turn, but he failed in spite of having a better than even (59%) chance of success. I brought him back into the castle of Staufen to wait out the unbeliever's presence.

Also, on this turn, Rainald the spy finally found an easy target in the imam Mahfouz of Egypt, earning a trait increase in doing so. I then sent him further east to seek out the Turks and see if the Mongols were on the scene yet. I advanced the turn without incident.

Turn 29 (Summer). The following reports:

• EOT Financial: There was a small deficit (-115 florins, but now the Empire added the highest rating in production to its power rankings.
  • Most Advanced Faction: The Holy Roman Empire
  • Construction: town guard (Vienna) and town watch (Breslau)
  • Recruitments: sergeant spearmen (Innsbruck), spy (Bologna) and peasants (retrained, Bologna)
  • Diplomatic: War, Spain against the Moors; truce, Sicily with Venice
  • Relations: Good, Spain (improvement)

My new spy was Wilhelm Scherer (age 33). He would leave Bologna immediately to keep an eye on Venetian movements in those regions not illuminated by the watchtowers near the borders.

There was a rebellion in the region of Breslau. I really didn't have a strong enough garrison to use against them, as they had a unit of knights and 3 peasant crossbowmen in their stack. I kept Wenzel put in the town until reinforcements could arrive.

Turn 30 (Winter). The following reports:

• Events: Earthquake at Aleppo -- this usually occurs around the time the Crusades are due to begin.
  • EOT Financial: A larger deficit (-1,042 florins), the Empire had lost its overall and production rankings to Byzantium, but maintained its military power.
  • Most Advanced Faction: Byzantium stepped ahead of the Empire.
  • Recruitments: peasants (Staufen, retrained at Frankfurt) and spear militia (retrained, Frankfurt)

Wilhelm the spy made himself useful almost immediately, increasing his skills through a successful investigation of the Byzantine merchant Xenos of Boüsa. He would continue to carry out observations in the vicinity of Zagreb and Ragusa in anticipation of possible moves by the Venetians.

On this turn, Helmut Merowinger finally reached the Portugese, contacting the governor Johăo, to whom he offered trade rights and a map exchange. Johăo accepted, somewhat hesitantly. Helmut was sent further south to reach the Moors.

The turn ended with my spy Rainald making his way across the rebel Arab region of Jedda towards the valleys of Mesopotamia and the Turkish region of Mosul. I intended for him to continue on to the eastern edge of the map, after which he would turn north and seek the first signs of the Mongols hordes. Barring that, he would turn back west and seek an alternate route around the Black Sea and into Russian territories, if he lived long enough to complete the journey.

Saving the session, I prepared for the next...
posted 12 November 2010 09:58 EDT (US)     4 / 10  
Again a masterful and detailed entry. I cringe when I think of how much time and detail went in to writing up this tale.

Oh, and double-posting is allowed after your 100th post. Doing it too much (as in spam) is frowned upon, but for these purposes, it is allowed and encouraged.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 12 November 2010 10:05 EDT (US)     5 / 10  
Comments

Thank you for clearing that up, Greyhair. I was beginning to wonder if there would be long pauses for my updates, given the lack of replies. Still, having a limit on double-posting replies is a good thing. Here's the AAR for session #4

Progress

I started up the latest session of my Medieval 2 HRE campaign where I left off, at the end of Turn 30. The load screen said that the year was 1138 AD, but since the turns and years didn't match up as with Rome: Total War, I could only go with this occuring within a vague timeframe starting in that year.

The first thing that I did before avancing the turn was to get a look around the campaign map to see what might've been missed since the last game save. I had noticed the Venetian army in the mountain passes northeast of Venice and had a feeling that they were going to be making another attempt at Vienna. This army was led by Allesandro Selvo.

I advanced to Turn 31 (Summer) without interruption. The start-of-turn (SOT) reports dropped down:

• EOT Financial: A profit (457 florins); and the Empire maintained its top rankings in military, production and overall standings.
  • Most Advanced Faction: The Holy Roman Empire
  • City Upgradeability: Bologna
  • Faction Announcements: Births, Olga von Franconia & Lorenz; trait increase, Welf von Erfurt ("Feels Respected"); retinue expansion, Fritz Eriach (monk)
  • Construction: brothel (Frankfurt), drill square (Hamburg) and land clearance (Breslau)
  • Recruitments: merchant (Vienna), peasant archers (retrained, Frankfurt), town militia (retrained, Frankfurt and Bologna) and spear militia (retrained, Vienna)
  • Cardinals: Death, Godzimir; promotion, Rolando di Martamo
  • Relations: Russia, improved ("Good")

I started off the turn by going through my campaign map and the overview screens to see what was going on at this point. There were signs of the Sicilians becoming active, as they had their spy Corrado Ciolino within view of my agent against Venice. The only other action going on this turn seemed to be Venice having Alessandro Selvo invading the region of Vienna.

The overviews showed these details:

The Holy Roman Empire now controlled 10 regions with 7 cities and 3 castles. They experienced no losses in all 6 of its battles up to this point (the year 1140 AD, with 195 turns remaining in the grand campaign). There were no real changes in the faction other than that.

At present, I was really only at war with Venice. This had not affected my standings with Pope Gregory as yet, probably because I was only defending my realms against their invasions. They had fallen to 50% (I was tied with Spain at 80%).

Of the College of Cardinals, I now had two seat. Theodoricus Godwinson, now given the cognomen "Righteous", was Priest Preferati. Péter the Warmonger remained at his place in the College.

From looking at my family tree, I could see that the Empire was going to have plenty of young men coming into the ranks. The eldest son was 10, the youngest only just born. I would be expecting the eldest to show up as a general within the next 5 or 6 turns.

In the faction rankings chart, the Empire still maintained a healthy lead over all the other Catholic factions. Only the non-Catholic Byzantine Empire was approaching it in overall strength; the only other faction which could pose a more direct threat was France, showing signs of increasing growth.

I checked on the generals commanding my military forces:

• Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous (Age 55, Faction leader at Bologna, 541 soldiers)
  • Welf von Erfurt (Age 44, family member at Florence, 305 soldiers)
  • Maxamillian Mandorf (Age 45, general at Nuremburg, 380 soldiers)
  • Leopold (Age 35, family member at Vienna, 629 soldiers)
  • Prince Henry (Age 37, Faction heir at Frankfurt, 542 soldiers)
  • Wenzel von Franconia (Age 38, family member at Breslau, 345 soldiers)
  • Dietrich von Saxony (Age 50, general at Hamburg, 807 soldiers)
  • Lukas von Duisberg (Age 30, family member at Staufen, 345 soldiers)
  • Ottó von Kassel (Age 38, general in the Vienna region, 345 soldiers)
  • Wolfgang von Lübeck (Age 28, family member at Frankfurt, 542 soldiers)

My agents, including the priests, diplomats, merchants and spies recruited during the previous 30 turns:

• ()
  • Péter the Warmonger (Age 60, cardinal at Staufen)
  • Manfred von Munich (Age 40, priest at Florence)
  • Rudolf Ritter (Age 38, priest at Staufen)
  • Theodoricus the Righteous (Age 36, cardinal at Hamburg)
  • Herrmann Karolinger (Age 48, priest at Vienna)
  • Arnold von der Pfalz (Age 33, priest at Nuremburg)
  • Gerhard Guiskard (Age 27, priest at Bologna)
  • Johann von Jungingen (Age 38, priest at Innsbruck)
  • Fritz von Bavaria (Age 35, priest at Prague)
  • Fritz Eriach (Age 40, priest at Breslau)
  • Andreas Salier (Age 43, merchant trading amber in Stockholm region)
  • Erhart Uttenheim (Age 23, merchant at Vienna)
  • Sigismund von Felben (Age 36, diplomat in Rome region)
  • Helmut Merowinger (Age 40, diplomat in Zaragoza region)
  • Ruprecht von Mahren (Age 46, diplomat in Krakow region)
  • Wilhelm Scherer (Age 34, spy in Ragusa region)
  • Rainald Eriach (Age 35, spy in Jedda region)

My settlements currently under control, both cities and castles:

• Frankfurt (Town, capital of the empire)
  • Nuremburg (Town)
  • Staufen (Castle)
  • Vienna (Town)
  • Innsbruck (Castle)
  • Bologna (City)
  • Florence (Town)
  • Hamburg (Castle)
  • Prague (Town)
  • Breslau (Town)

On this turn, there wre a couple of rebellions to be concerned about. The one in Nuremburg region involved a 5-unit stack led by Captain Péter west of the town; the one in Breslau Region was a 5-unit stack led by Captain Bezprym. For the present, I didn't feel confident enough to send the garrisons of the nearby towns out to deal with them.

The noble council mission to take the castle of Stettin still had 8 turns pending, but I was concerned about the continuing hostilities from Venice. In addition, I wanted to keep the garrison at Hamburg strong, just in case the Danes felt the urge to try their luck against the Empire in the coming turns. The garrison of this place currently had 6 units, none of which were identified.

I decided to advance the turn, not seeing anything to do other than keep preparing my forces for the next confrontation with Venice. It came soon enough, as expected.

Turn 32 (Winter):

• Settlement Besieged: Vienna, by Venice
  • Allies Declare War: Spain, upon England -- I weighed options here: both were allies, but England was closer and could more quickly cross French and Danish territory to get to me, if I made them an enemy, so I chose the latter.
  • EOT Financial: A deficit (-2,459 florins), but the Empire maintained its military strength in spite of losing the production and overall rankings of the previous turn.
  • Most Advanced Faction: The Byzantine Empire -- this seemed to be see-sawing between me and them for the time being.
  • Settlement Upgrade: Hamburg was ready to be upgraded to a stronger fortress -- just what I wanted to have on the frontiers.
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Ayla von Erfurt (Welf was a busy man at something...); retinue expansions, Rudolf Ritter (witch hunter), Dietrich von Saxony (drillmaster) and Lukas von Duisberg (fool)
  • Construction: Castle (Staufen) and grain exchange (Prague)
  • Recruitments: Teutonic knights (Bologna), spear militia (Bologna), sergeant spearmen (2 at Innsbruck), armored sergeants (Hamburg), mounted sergeants (Hamburg) and peasants (Hamburg)
  • Diplomatic: Wars, Milan against Sicily, Sicily against the Byzantine Empire, and Spain against England
  • Alliance in Tatters: By choosing the side of England in that war which broke out between allies, I had sacrificed my ties with the Spanish.

As expected, the Venetian army which I had seen earlier near the borders under Alessandro Selvo was the one which marched up to Vienna to lay siege to the town. I was glad to have marched a portion of the garrison from Innsbruck under Ottó von Kassel out to support Prince Leopold and his garrison, and so I parked the duke outside the town walls and waited for Alessandro to make his move.

Advancing to Turn 33 (Summer) without any movement from the Venetians, I read the reports:

• Events: Robert of Chester completed his book, Book of the Composition of Alchemy.
  • EOT Financial: A small profit this turn (479 florins), but the Empire remained strong in spite of its danger.
  • Faction Announcements: Death of Péter the Warmonger, cardinal at Staufen
  • Construction: Paved roads (Bologna) and leather tanner (Breslau)
  • Recruitments: Spy (Bologna) and peasant archers (retrained, Bologna)
  • Diplomatic: Wars, Poland against Russia, and France against England
  • Cardinals: Lorenzo Pione of Sicily promoted

I had noticed at this point that the French were finally active in taking the castles of Metz and Bern on my frontiers. I was going to have to upgrade the settlements of Frankfurt and Staufen in preparation for potential hostilities from that quarter, even if they were to be preoccupied with their English war.

This turn saw the coming of age of Emperor Heinrich's youngest daughter, Alfgarda (age 16). She would immediately be deployed into the neighoring regions of Milan to serve as an ambassador. In an even more cunning thought, I actually wondered if a marriage alliance with the English against France would be even more productive.

An even more promising agent appeared in young Philipp Otterbach (age 22), the spy who just finished training at Bologna. For the time being, he would be sent south to scout the regions controlled by the Sicilians. While I wasn't expecting immediate threats from that quarter, their activities in recent turns did raise my curiosity about them.

At the same time, I kept my other agents active. My diplomats Helmut Merowinger and Ruprecht von Mahren were actually making their respective ways west and east. My merchant Erhart Uttenheim ventured southeast through the regions of Hungary and the Byzantine Empire seeking greater riches. And my old spy Rainald Eriach was exploring the farthest eastern limits of the world seeking the lands of the Turks and whatever lie beyond them.

I advanced the turn, and was delighted to see that Alessandro Selvo decided to launch his assault against Vienna:

• Leopold (588 men) and
  • Ottó von Kassel (481 men), versus
  • Alessandro Selvo (486 men, Venice)

Since the tide of the battle was going to depend on whether or not I could keep the Venetians pinned down at the walls, I deployed the garrison units as best I could, with the archers at the walls flanking the approach of the enemy siege engines and as strong a defense as I could muster upon the walls where they were expected to make a landing. As the Venetians had also built a ram, I had three town militia infantry units standing guard at the gates, with Leopold and the unit of mounted sergeants flanking them to provide support.

The battle opened with the archers and mercenary crossbowmen delivering covering fire as best they could against the enemy missile units and whatever else could be within range. Ottó and his men would be entering the battle map from beyond my right, to the west of the town walls. Leopold and his men would have to hold out until they could arrive.

To their credit, the town militia and the unit of sergeant spearmen on the walls performed their tasks quite well. While the Venetians were able to get units out in the walls, they were still overwhelmed and unable to turn the tide up there. All that remained was for the units guarding the gates to hold the rest of the enemy in place until Ottó could arrive.

I had Ottó coming in a hurry. He would arrive with his cavalry ahead of the infantry from Innsbruck, but not in time to prevent the gate from being battered down. It was up to the men behind the wall now.

It was now a two-pronged defense. The units on the walls dealt primarily with the enemies storming their way on the tower to my left, while the units on the ladders on the right remained bogged down. The units behind the gate counter-charged and held their ground, supported by the cavalry of Leopold himself, who charged in to meet the bold push by the Venetian generals. Arriving on the scene, Ottó von Kassel and his mounted sergeants were in a position to strike the enemies in their rear.

The battle at the gates was the hardest-fought. The presence of the Venetian generals was a factor in this. Though they recognized that their cause was desperate, they held on, forcing me to send in my mounted sergeants, and to keep Leopold in the thickest melee. Still, the reinforcements from Innsbruck were able to join the fray and begin turning the tide.

The infantry from Innsbruck finally arrived on the field of battle in time to make their contributions. I separated the missile units and set them aside to start firing upon any enemy which broke free from the melee, while the sergeants and peasants charged along the walls to support Ottó and his cavalry. It was at this time that the first of the Venetian generals fell.

Alas, Leopold! My most promising general fell in the melee, shortly after taking down the second Venetian general. Now, all that remained was for Ottó von Kassel to take up the leadership of the remaining men and drive out the invaders.

It didn't take long at all for the rest of the Venetians to break and run. What units I could afford to spare, I sent after the routers for as long as any of them remained on the battlefield. Once again, Vienna was saved!

• Leopold (with Ottó von Kassel: 287 kills (192 prisoners), 817 of 1,069 men remaining
  • Alessandro Selvo (with Benasuto Selvo): 283 kills (no prisoners), 7 of 486 men remaining

With the general Benasuto Selvo amongst the prisoners taken in the late battle (Alessandro having been killed), I had a chance for a decent ransom. 3,199 florins for your men, Venice...

Seriously, Doge. I wanted to have another go at these men. In retrospect, I wonder if there should've been an option for keeping prisoners of war until the hostilities were over. Maybe it could be used as a bargaining chip for reparations in the peace treaty?

Turn 34 (Winter) came in with the following reports:

• Enemy Army Rout: Venice (Captain Ortwinus)
  • Merchants: Matteo de Biella (Milan) made an unsuccessful bid against my merchant Erhart in Vienna region, prompting me to remove him to the east to seek greener (and safer) pastures.
  • EOT Financial: A minor deficit (-561 florins), but the Empire maintained its military power.
  • Faction Announcements: A noble death, Prince Leopold at Vienna
  • Construction: Leather tanner (Hamburg)
  • Recruitments: Priest (Frankfurt), town militia (retrained, Frankfurt) and spear militia (retrained, Breslau)
  • Diplomatic: Alliance, Venice and France
  • Relations: Venice, very poor (worsened)

The recent setback had made Venice very bitter towards me, and their new alliance with France was a concern. One more reason for me to strengthen the garrisons and defenses on the west.

The only moves made on this turn, aside from retraining and recruitments, were to continue my explorations with the agents abroad. Helmut Merowinger had discovered that the Portugese had captured the castle of Valencia, while Rainald the spy reached the far eastern edge of the map and, seeing no signs of the Mongols, set about seeking the current regions controlled by the Turks.

The last move I made on this turn was to give the Pope a gift of updated maps and 100 florins. This would go towards keeping the Papal States on a friendly footing, which was said at times to be a guarantee that any further aggression by enemies amongst the Catholic factions would result in excommunication.

I advanced to Turn 35 (Summer) without further interruptions. The reports were as follows:

• EOT Financial: A large profit (1,783 florins), and the Empire had regained its top rankings as a military power, a producer and in overall ratings.
  • Most Advanced Faciton: The Holy Roman Empire (see-saw going my way...)
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Godwine von Duisberg
  • Construction: Grain exchange (Breslau)
  • Recruitments: Armoured sergeants (Hamburg), spear militia (retrained at Vienna and Hamburg), town militia (retrained, Vienna) and sergeant spearmen (retrained, Hamburg)
  • Diplomatic: Alliance, the Turks and Poland

That last bit was interesting. It would seem to me now that the Poles were seeking allies to place at the rear of the Russians as they fought over territory with them.

I checked on the situation around the Empire again. The rebels were still active outside Nuremburg, but had made no further moves. Eventually, I was going to have to send units to the aid of the garrison there.

In the final move of the turn, Manfred von Munich had a suitable target in the heretic named Spartacus. His trial was successful (66% rate), earning him a trait increase ("Servant of God"). I was able to advance the turn without further interruptions.

Turn 36 (Winter). The reports came in:

• EOT Financial: A large deficit (-2,907 florins), but the Empire was able to maintain its military strength.
  • Most Advanced Faction: The Byzantine Empire (the see-saw going the other way now)
  • Faction Announcements: Birth of Volkmar von Duisberg (Lukas was thinking of the future, all right...)
  • Recruitments: Town militia (retrained, Prague), priest (Prague), spear militia (retrained at Vienna, 2 retrained at Hamburg), mercenary crossbowmen (retrained, Vienna), sergeant spearmen (retrained, Hamburg)

My new priest was Ansehelm von Wolfsburg (age 32). He would be the replacement for the deceased Cardinal Péter, but he had a lot of work to do to get anywhere near as pious as he was (1 Piety -- not good). The other new priest as Bernard von Grunungen (age 37) at Frankfurt.

Right now, however, I had a more pressing problem. The Pope had sent an inquisitor, Bonus de Fondaco, and my faction heir Prince Henry was a likely target with that pagan magician in his retinue. I decided to start moving him to avoid detection.

I advanced to Turn 37 (Summer) without interruptions. The following reports were read:

• Events: The emergence of the European paper industry.
  • EOT Financial: A decent profit (1,980 florins), and the Empire's reign as the greatest military power of the era continues unbroken.
  • Settlement Upgrade: Frankfurt was ready to grow -- just in time, as stone walls would help keep the French at bay should they prove to be a threat.
  • Recruitments: peasants (retrained, Hamburg), peasant archers (retrained, Hamburg) and town militia (retrained, Breslau)
  • Diplomatic: War, Scotland against Denmark

Well, that last one was hoped for. I needed someone to distract the Danes while I continued expanding my northern realms.

To that end, I finally deployed Wolfgang von Lubeck to Stettin to begin the siege of the place, seeing as my forces at Hamburg were strong enough to carry out the defense of that region. The wooden stronghold would hold out for 3 turns, but I was prepared to make the assault sooner than that, thanks to a Polish army which got repelled by the rebel garrison in the previous turn. I was going to need that castle in order to keep the Poles in check, and perhaps to organize forces to take Magdeburg in the event that I should take up arms against them.

I advanced the turn again without interruptions. Turn 38 (Winter) brought me the following reports:

• EOT Financial: A modest profit (526 florins), and continued military dominance.
  • Faction Announcements: Trait increase, Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous ("Feels Appreciated"); retinue expansions, Bernard von Grunungen (monk) and Welf von Erfurt (tax farmer)
  • Construction: Large stone walls (Bologna) and leather tanner (Florence)
  • Recruitments: Town militia (retrained, Breslau)
  • Diplomatic: Ceasefire, Spain and England

I could guess that having completed the defensive upgrade for Bologna had a lot to do with the Emperor's increase in loyalty rate. In any case, this (along with the upgrade to the castle at Innsbruck) was a positive step in the war against Venice.

This turn also saw one more nuisance rebellion break out. Captain Orso led 3 units in the mountains near the borders of the region of Florence, prompting me with a question as to whether or not to send Duke Welf forth with a part of the garrison to deal with him. As with those rebels near Nuremburg and Breslau, I deferred the decision to a later turn.

I was now faced with the decision to make an assault upon the walls of Stettin. The army under Wolfgang von Lubeck was sufficiently strong enough to overpower the rebel garrison, and I only had one more turn remaining to fulfill the conditions of the noble council mission ordering me to take the place, so I went at it:

• Wolfgang von Lubeck (556 men), versus
  • Captain Leopold (272 men, German rebels)

The 2,500 florin was motivation enough. Wolfgang's dread ratings were another. The army was perfectly positioned to begin the assault on the little fortress.

In this assault, one unit of peasants had the ram, while the other had their hands free. Bringing the archers up in loose order to deliver covering fire and the other peasants in loose order to provide a convenient target for the rebel defenders, I put those poor fools to work.

Once the gate was taken down, all that was needed was to charge my infantry through to overwhelm the garrison defenders and bring in the sergant spearmen who were kept in reserve. Wolfgang and his mailed knights would follow in their tracks.

As the defenders were driven back into the castle square, I brought the general and his cavalry in to assist the assauting party in beating them down. I learned one thing from battles over the years playing Total War games, and that was never to allow my general to remain bogged down in a melee if there was room to extricate him and mount a charge once he was cleared.

These guys were actually quite stubborn. That was probably one thing which could be an improvement that Medieval 2 had over Rome and its expansion, in that the infantry didn't exactly rush en masse into opposing infantry to create a logjam, and that cavalry really had to be extracted from a melee in order to mount an effective charge. And so I was doing it here.

There was rarely that perfect moment when you could get the right shot of your enemy's captain going down. Such as it was here. From then on out, it was a matter of continuing the melee until all of the enemy defenders were killed or captured, and the fortress was turned over for sacking.

• Wolfgang von Lubeck: 256 kills (12 prisoners), 420 of 556 men remaining
  • Captain Leopold: 160 kills (no prisoners), no men remaining

Well, I had taken my reward and was well on the way towards ordering the defenses of my realms. Before ending the session, I gave my spy in Sicily, Philipp Otterbach, one mission as soon as the opportunity presented itself. He carried out the mission successfully, earning two trait increases and completing my overview of the Italian peninsula in the process. I now had a better picture of my situation in Italy.

Thus ended the 4th Holy Roman Empire session of this year. The next would tell me whether or not I could advance any further. Now that my realms were expanded as far as I could safely take them, I needed to organize their defense, and there were unresolved questions on retaliation against the Venetians, and defending against potential hostilities from all other neighbors.

[This message has been edited by J Ursus Cato (edited 11-12-2010 @ 10:08 AM).]

posted 13 November 2010 00:41 EDT (US)     6 / 10  
I like. It's an interesting faction I've never really played, will be nice to see how its done.

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 15 November 2010 13:39 EDT (US)     7 / 10  
Well, imagine my surprise... you can at least post your own 1st reply to a topic. I would appreciate readers commenting on these AARs again. That way, you can all get to see how far I'm getting here.
Don't worry about it there are always plenty of readers but not many comments.

In any case I've finally caught up here and it's been a good read. I like how in-depth you go; gives a great picture of the Empire and the medieval world at large so keep on posting the 'Most Powerful, Richest etc' stats. Overall a refreshing read, I look forward to more it's clear the amount of effort you put into it and quality work is always appreciated at the Bardic Circle.

And vamp... how did you not play a HRE game? They are one of the Backbone factions.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 16 November 2010 09:39 EDT (US)     8 / 10  
Replies & Comments

@ vampiric canniba:

Like France and England, the Holy Roman Empire has quite a few options for expansion at the expense of the rebel factions. However, once all the available regions are taken, either you become the target for someone else, or you must take one of their regions in order to expand and meet the victory conditions.

@ Aftermath:

It's good to know about the readers. However, now that I've got the ability for immediate follow-up, any comments which come will simply be appreciated, but not necessary any more. I hope you enjoy this one, as it's gettting quite hairy.

In my case, I've already got a war against Venice on my hands. Now that the French have taken the rebel castles west and south of Staufen, I'm expecting trouble from that quarter. Denmark, Poland, Hungary, Milan and Sicily aren't exactly out of the picture, either. Time to start building siege weapons...

Progress

When I resumed the last session of my 2010 HRE campaign to continue, I had left off at Turn 38 (Winter, 1154 AD). As was always my habit on beginning the sessions, I went over my overview screens to check out my situations.

As of this turn, the Empire now controlled 11 regions with 7 cities and 4 castles. Old Heinrich the Chivalrous was still Emperor, while Dietrich von Saxony maintained his rank as the greatest general in the army. While I had only fought 8 battles at this point, it wasn't going to get any easier with the neighboring kingdoms becoming restless and the threat of rebellions breaking out in several parts of the Empire itself.

My standings with the Pope remained fairly good, although I wished I could've done better. There was the ongoing war with Venice, and Milan was just above me in the Papal standings. With the rival kingdoms getting more aggressive towards each other, there were bound to be factions risking excommunication.

In the faction rankings, I was very much tied with the Byzantine Empire in overall standings. My military power remained supreme, but there were signs that I would soon face a serious rival: France.

Checking on the family tree, I saw that there would soon be plenty of young princes and dukes coming along. The eldest boy was Nikolaus von Erfurt, only a few years shy of his coming of age. Next in line for the Imperial throne could be Charles, the son of Leopold, late of the heroic death in battle breaking a Venetian siege at Vienna.

Next, I checked on the military forces listing, which included all family members and generals:

• Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous (Age 58, faction leader at Bologna, 676 soldiers)
  • Welf von Erfurt (Age 47, family member at Florence, 285 soldiers)
  • Maxamilian Mandorf (Age 48, general at Nuremburg, 380 soldiers)
  • Wenzel von Franconia (Age 41, family member at Breslau, 345 soldiers)
  • Prince Henry (Age 40, faction heir in Vienna region, 276 soldiers)
  • Dietrich von Saxony (Age 53, general at Hamburg, 537 soldiers)
  • Lukas von Duisberg (Age 33, family member at Staufen, 345 soldiers)
  • Wolfgang von Lubeck (Age 31, family member at Stettin, 419 soldiers)
  • Ottó von Kassel (Age 41, general at Vienna, 645 soldiers)

The listing of agents, including all priests, active princesses, diplomats, merchants and spies:

• Princess Alfgarda (Age 18, princess in Genoa region)
  • Bernard von Grunungen (Age 38, priest at Frankfurt)
  • Manfred von Munich (Age 43, priest at Florence)
  • Rudolf Ritter (Age 41, priest at Staufen)
  • Theodoricus the Righteous (Age 39, cardinal at Hamburg)
  • Herrmann Karolinger (Age 51, priest at Vienna)
  • Arnold von der Pfalz (Age 36, priest at Nuremburg)
  • Gerhard Guiskard (Age 30, priest at Bologna)
  • Johann von Jungingen (Age 41, priest at Innsbruck)
  • Fritz Eriach (Age 43, priest at Breslau)
  • Ansehelm von Wolfsburg (Age 33, priest at Prague)
  • Andreas Salier (Age 46, merchant trading amber in Stockholm region)
  • Ehrhart Uttenheim (Age 26, merchant in Sofia region)
  • Sigismund von Felben (Age 39, diplomat at Rome)
  • Ruprecht von Mahren (Age 49, diplomat in Riga region)
  • Helmut Merowinger (Age 43, diplomat in Granada region)
  • Wilhelm Scherer (Age 37, spy in Ragusa region)
  • Phillip Otterbach (Age 24, spy in Palermo region)
  • Rainald Eriach (Age 38, spy in Sarkel region)

On a nice little side note, I would like to imagine that Father Fritz of Breslau was related to the spy Rainald, who was presently exploring the regions of the eastern infidels and seeking word on a mysterious warrior-king who was said to have his kingdom in the far east. They certainly shared the same surname.

The final roster was my faction's settlements controlled:

• Frankfurt (Capital city, pop 6,175; PO 135%; inc 1,923 F)
  • Nuremburg (City, pop 3,439; PO 150%; inc 1,696 F)
  • Staufen (Castle, pop 3,124; PO 190%; inc 885 F)
  • Bologna (City, pop 15,889; PO 100%; inc 2,166 F)
  • Vienna (City, pop 5,465; PO 140%; inc 1,919 F)
  • Innsbruck (Castle, pop 1,813; PO 190%; inc 807 F)
  • Florence (City, pop 4,803; PO 95%; inc 1,552 F)
  • Hamburg (Castle, pop 4,876; PO 200%; inc 1,071 F)

• Prague (City, pop 2,817; PO 135%; inc 1,489 F)
  • Breslau (City, pop 1,444; PO 115%; inc 1,087 F)
  • Stettin (Castle, pop 877; PO 170%; inc 631 F)

The final roster that I checked before getting started with the session was the College of Cardinals. Theodoricus Godwinson from Hamburg, so called "the Righteous", was at the top of the list as one of the Preferati. However, he was now the lone representative of the Empire at the college.

The overviews and rosters having been finished, I took a few minutes to look about my frontiers. I was concerned about the recent expansion of France into the neighboring regions controlled by Metz and Bern. And the other factions, such as Denmark to the north, and Poland and Hungary to the east, were uncomfortably close in proximity. Finally, there was that unresolved war with Venice, and the mysterious activities of the Sicilians, who had a small army actually crossing the region of Florence now.

Having taken stock of my situation beginning this session, I advanced to Turn 39 (Summer). These were the starting reports:

• New Mission: The council of nobles wanted me to try diplomatic means of taking the settlement of Antwerp from a rival -- something I wasn't sure I wanted to do at this point.
  • EOT Report: My profits were good (3,102 florins), and my military and overall rankings remained at the top.
  • Largest Faction: The Holy Roman Empire was true to its title, for the time being...
  • Recruitments: Armoured sergeants (2 at Hamburg), peasant archers (Hamburg) and town militia (2 retrained at Florence)
  • Diplomatic:
War, Portugal against Spain; alliances, the Turks with Hungary, Russia with the Byzantine Empire

Here was a conundrum for me: Antwerp was in the hands of the Danes. If I were to follow through with the request made by the council of nobles, it would mean a war on two fronts and, quite possibly, a loss of standings with the Pope. The object of this campaign for me was to avoid excommunication by any means possible, while Rome remained independent.

The actions of Portugal were a surprise here, as well. I would've expected them to come to blows with the French first, having taken territory along their frontiers, but they chose little Milan. There would definitely be consequences for them, though I would still hold off joining the battles unless they made themselves a more direct menace to Imperial lands.

At the present turn, I had intended to keep my eyes on the borders, especially around the regions held by Venice (their home city, and Zagreb in the Balkans). At this time, Prince Henry was on his way towards Innsbruck castle to be available for when the Emperor would need him, although I was tempted to send him north to deal with the rebel captain Péter lurking near Nuremburg.

It was when I advanced the turn that this message popped up: the city of Frankfurt was ready for a minor chapter house of the Teutonic Knights. I accepted, recognizing the value they would provide for the defense of my western marches, and needing some cavalry to support the towns isolated from those castles in the north.

The reports for Turn 40 (Winter) were the following:

• Guild Avaliable: Teutonic Knights' Minor Chapter House, done.
  • EOT Report: I was still in the black (1,295 florins), and the Empires military and overall standings remained unchallenged.
  • Faction Announcements: Retinue expansions, Ansehelm von Wolfsburg (monk), Sigismund von Felben (foreign dignitary), and Alfgarda (secret love -- "Ach, nein! How did that get out?")
  • Recruitments: Peasant archers (Innsbruck, retrained at Breslau) and town militia (retrained, Florence)
  • Diplomatic: Alliance, Hungary and Russia
  • Relations: The Papal States, good (improvement)

There was a heretic on the loose in the region of Breslau, Fritz von Bavaria. I thought that one of my priests had gone rogue on me, so I spent a few moments going through all the available priests to see if I had a "Fritz" who had gone on the fritz while I wasn't looking -- a couple of them didn't have high piety ratings when they came out of training in the last round.

Finding no vacancies in my priesthoods, I advanced to Turn 41 (Summer). These were the reports:

• EOT Report: A smaller profit (335 florins), but no change in the Empire's military and overall status.
  • Construction: Town guard (Florence), port (Hamburg) and dirt roads (Stettin)
  • Recruitments: Teutonic knights (Frankfurt), spy (Frankfurt) and mailed knights (retrained, Stettin)
  • Diplomatic: Ceasefire, Portugal and the Moors; excommunication, Scotland

I would wonder what the Scots did to earn this one. Maybe they attacked England at York?

The new spy recruited this turn was Fredericus von Luxemburg (Age 28), a promising agent. I immediately sent him to spy on one of the French diplomats who started moving through Imperial territories at this time. A prelude to an attack? Whatever the purpose, Fredericus earned sufficient trait increases to make him my most effective spy yet.

During this turn, I took a quick glimpse of my diplomatic overview to see what was up between Portugal and Milan. It turned out that Portugal was allied with the Sicilians and Spain, neither of whom had proven to be steadfast allies. Milan maintained its alliance with the Empire. Perhaps a little "assistance" would come into use soon?

Advancing the turn, I received a surprise visit from the Turkish diplomat Abi al Mu'Tasim at Vienna. He offered simple trade rights, to which I had the general Ottó von Kassel assent. So long as they weren't asking me to go against fellow Catholics, I was okay with trade.

The reports for Turn 42 (Winter) came with quite a surprise:

• Inquisition: Maximillian Mandorf was accused of heresy by someone, but the inquisition held came up empty. Old Max was going to need to do something about those heretics.
  • EOT Report: Shrinking profits (96 florins), and yet still the Empire held its accustomed status.
  • Faction Announcements: Trait decreases, Wenzel von Franconia (Noble in Rule) and Welf von Erfurt (Fair in Rule); retinue expansion, Welf von Erfurt (pagan magician -- these pests are mulitplying!)
  • Construction: Ballista maker (Bologna) and mustering hall (Stettin)
  • Recruitments: Peasant archers (retrained, Innsbruck) and mounted sergeants (retrained, Innsbruck)
  • Diplomatic: Alliance, France and Milan

There were various signs of trouble on the home front now. The Inquisition was getting restless, forcing me to seek the first opportunity for upgrading the church buildings wherever I could. I had a feeling that the Imperial household wasn't going to get away unscathed with their dalliance with the old pagan ways. And that alliance between Fance and Milan indicated further mischeif afoot from my western neighbor.

The first thing I did this turn was to have Maximillian Mandorf ride from Nuremburg, joined by the unit of Teutonic Knights from Frankfurt, to deal with the rebel Péter. He had been a nuisance for long enough:

• Maximillian Mandorf (406 men), versus
  • Captain Péter (311 men, German rebels)

Maximillian found his quarry holding out on a wooded hilltop southwest of the town after pursuing him a short distance. Prior to entering the battle, I had him recruit mercenary units (sergeant spearmen and crossbowmen) to shore up the garrison units that were brought with him.

It turned out that this was going to be a somewhat more difficult battle than most rebel battles in my Total War games tended to be up to this point; Péter took his position at the top of the hill ahead, prompting me to march until his crossbowmen fell within the range of my missile units.

As Maximillian's forces arrived at their position, I separated the general, the Teutonic knights, and the missile units from the group and sent them forward to draw the enemy's attention. The archers and mercenary crossbowmen, I put in loose formation and sent racing ahead to bring their fire upon the rebel crossbow militia on the hill. The infantry, I kept in formation with orders to continue marching up the hill under the cover of the missile fire.

When the rebel crossbowmen started to retreat behind their infantry, I sent mine on a charge up the hill towards the mailed knights under the command of Captain Péter himself. Maximillian and the Teutonic knights were off to the right, in a position to countercharge Péter, should he make his own attempt to scatter the missile units.

With the rebel crossbows driven back under missile fire and at least one unit of their spearmen routed by the infantry charge, my cavalry had a clear shot at Captain Péter himself. While he was pinned down in the melee with Maximillian and the Teutonic knights, I sent the mercenary spearmen forward to join the fray, winded by the uphill battle though they were.

Péter fell.

From here on out, it was a matter of pursuit of the stricken enemy and their rout from the battlefield. Maximillian himself finished off the last of them. A clear victory.

• Maximillian Mandorf: 117 kills (130 prisoners), 378 of 406 men remaining
  • Captain Péter: 33 kills (no prisoners), 64 of 311 men remaining

The successful battle against rebels had earned Maximillian the "Feels Appreciated" trait. I would return him to Nuremburg, while the Teutons would be sent further east to join the garrison at Breslau. There would be an upgrade for the chapel at Nuremburg, to aid with Maximillian's piety and chivalry ratings.

It was on this turn that my second merchant, Ehrhart Uttenheim reached a suitable target for his trading skills. There were silk resources available in Byzantine territories, especially in the region of Nicea. So long as there were no signs of hostile takeovers threatening from rival factions, there he would remain.

Upon his return from Sicily, I had the spy Phillip Otterbach infiltrate the little army of Captain Orso, who had made himself such a concern for me when he was trespassing on the frontiers earlier. After doing this little bit, Phillip would be kept on hold near the border with Naples to keep an eye on any potential hostilities from Sicily.

This turn saw the region of Bologna plagued by a rebellion led by Captain Ranerius. Seeing as Emperor Heinrich hadn't had any battle experience in his long years of rule, I thought it worth a try to have the old chap earn his spurs in his advanced age:

• Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous (377 men), versus
  • Captain Ranerius (121 men, Italian rebels)

As with Maximillian Mandorf, I had the Emperor's troops line up in two groups in front of him. The peasant archers screened the infantry.

Ranerius was taking up his position on a small wooded hill off the main road. As he had no spearmen or cavalry to cover the flanks of his two crossbow units, there was really no point in holding back behind the archers until a suitable charge could be mounted. The Emperor was just going to run them down!

And run them down, he did. Followed up by the spear militia from Bologna (the archers having been taken off "Fire at Will" to avoid friendly fire incidents), he routed the rebels and set off in pursuit.

No amount of hiding in the bushes could save poor Ranerius. However, two of the rebels did manage to get away. The old Emperor wasn't very fast, after all, and yet the rebellion was crushed.

• Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous: 46 kills (71 prisoners), 354 of 377 men remaining
  • Captain Ranerius: 27 kills (no prisoners), 2 of 121 men remaining

Advancing to Turn 43 (Summer), I received the following reports:

• Guild Improvement: A Teutonic Knights' Major Chapter House was now available for Bologna, so I accepted.
  • EOT Report: A large deficit (-3,790 florins) brought about by recent construction and recruitment orders, although the Empire remained strong.
  • Faction Announcements: Coming of Age (COA), Nikolaus von Erfurt; trait increase, Wolfgang von Lubeck (Fair in Rule)
  • Construction: Port (Florence), leather tanner (Prague) and small chapel (Stettin)
  • Recruitments: Ballista (Bologna), spear militia (2 at Florence, 1 retrained at Bologna) and peasants (retrained, Stettin)
  • Diplomatic: Alliance, France and Poland
  • Cardinal Report: Deaths, Halstan (Denmark) and Manoel (Portugal)

With the latest announcements about France, it was becoming clear that the neighborhood was growing even more restless. My northern and western frontiers were going to be very active in the next several turns, but I was willing to let my enemies make the first move in this one, provided that I had the means of striking back.

It was on this turn that young Nikolaus von Erfurt would begin his career. I immediately sent him into the hinterlands of Bologna region to set up a watchtower to keep an eye on any movements from the Sicilians south of me. He was joined by the Teutonic Knights.

As I advanced to Turn 44 (Winter), I noticed quite a bit of movement around Genoa in the neighboring Milanese lands. The Portugese had fought a battle after besieging the town, and one of their armies withdrew a long distance through my regions of Florence and Bologna. These were the only incidents leading up to the reports:

• EOT Report: A small profit (527 florins), but the Empire's status resumed its accustomed levels.
  • Construction: Town guard (Nuremburg) and garrison quarters (Staufen -- I needed that with France getting a bit frisky)
  • Recruitments: Town militia (retrained at Nuremburg and Prague) and spear militia (retrained, Prague)
  • Faction Excommunicated: Portugal ("King Affonso, you've been a bad boy...")

Looking around at the situation concerning the Portugese against Milan, as one of their armies came to a stop just within Bologna's territory near where Nikolaus von Erfurt had set up his watchtower. This was Captain Christovan, with a unit of knights and javelineers.

Advancing the turn again, it was now Wolfgang von Lubeck's turn to receive a surprise diplomatic visitor. This was the Hungarian princess Pioska. The poor old lady offered an alliance and map information, which I had Wolfgang accept. I was wonder if I should've also offered her hand to the available bachelor?

Turn 45 (Summer) was the final turn of this session. The turn was spent preparing more defenses for the Empire and setting up for the next session, so all I did here was read the reports:

• EOT Report: Another small profit (305 florins), yet the Empires position stayed as strong as ever.
  • Recruitments: Spear militia (Florence, 1 retrained at Prague), priest (Stettin) and town militia (retrained at Prague)
  • Diplomatic: Alliance, Hungary with the Holy Roman Empire
  • Relations: Hungary, good (improved)

I had my concerns about the French activity gain further evidence, as a 6-unit army under a captain stopped on the bridge leading from Frankfurt region into that of Metz. I needed to have my spy Fredericus von Luxemburg on hand, and all hands in Frankfurt and Staufen on alert just in case this rascal came to knock on any doors. To warm up, Fredericus investigated the French cardinal Étienne Tristram, who blocked his path near Metz.

That task done, I saved the campaign and prepared myself for the next session. It remained to be seen just what that French captain was up to...
posted 05 December 2010 19:01 EDT (US)     9 / 10  
Comments

This session should be notable for the fact that the Pope finally called for a crusade. However, I made several blunders along the way, meaning that my efforts may come to naught before I even reach the target. Read on...

Progress

So it began; I resumed my 2010 Medieval 2: Total War Holy Roman Empire campaign in the summer of the year 1168 AD. When I had saved the last turn for the previous session, the world looked like this:

The empire had expanded as far as I could safely take it. It was now time to consider options with the neighboring kingdoms whose borders now met my own. I was already at war with Venice. Others were bound to act soon.

I still maintained control over the 11 regions that I had taken over the course of the past five sessions. Emperor Heinrich was still alive. There were still 181 turns remaining, and many, many more battles to be fought. I would be adding more to my current tally of 11.

In leiu of the recent appearance of a French army on my borders near Staufen, I had much reason to be concerned. They had made allies with both Venice and Milan, as well as Poland. I was certain that they would be attacking either the castle of Staufen or the town of Frankfurt at any time now.

My standings with Pope Gregory remained good. However, I was no higher than Spain, Venice or Poland. Portugal remained excommunicated, and Scotland was only just beginning to recover its standing.

In overall faction rankings, the Holy Roman Empire remained near the top, followed by the Byzantine Empire and France. France was swiftly climbing in overall rank, while the Empire showed signs of a decline.

The Imperial Household continued to grow in size. There were two young boys who would soon come of age: Charles (age 14) and Theodoricus von Fanconia (age 11). They would bear watching as the campaign wore on.

I reviewed my rosters for my active family members and military commanders:

• Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous (Age 62, faction leader at Bologna, 681 soldiers)
  • Maximillian Mandorf (Age 52, general at Nuremburg, 440 soldiers)
  • Welf von Erfurt (Age 51, family member at Florence, 470 soldiers)
  • Wenzel von Franconia (Age 45, family member at Breslau, 345 soldiers)
  • Prince Henry (Age 44, faction heir at Innsbruck, 722 soldiers)
  • Wolfgang von Lubeck (Age 35, family member at Stettin, 526 soldiers)
  • Lukas von Duisberg (Age 37, family member at Staufen, 345 soldiers)
  • Dietrich von Saxony (Age 57, general at Hamburg, 747 soldiers)
  • Ottó von Kassel (Age 45, general at Vienna, 665 soldiers)
  • Nikolaus von Erfurt (Age 17, family member in Bologna region, 60 soldiers)

My agents:

• Alfgarda (Age 22, princess in Dijon region)
  • Bernhard von Grunungen (Age 42, priest at Frankfurt)
  • Manfred von Munich (Age 47, priest at Florence)
  • Rudolf Ritter (Age 45, priest at Staufen)
  • Theodoricus the Righteous (Age 43, cardinal at Hamburg)
  • Hermann Karolinger (Age 55, priest at Vienna)
  • Arnold von der Pfalz (Age 40, priest at Nuremburg)
  • Gerhard Guiskard (Age 34, priest at Bologna)
  • Johann von Jungingen (Age 45, priest at Innsbruck)
  • Fritz Eriach (Age 47, priest at Breslau)

• Ansehelm von Wolfsburg (Age 37, priest at Prague)
  • Jan Wahren (Age 40, priest at Stettin)
  • Andreas Salier (Age 50, merchant trading amber in Stockholm region)
  • Erhart Uttenheim (Age 30, merchant trading silk in Nicaea region)
  • Sigismund von Felben (Age 43, diplomat in Rome region)
  • Ruprecht von Mahren (Age 53, diplomat in Kiev region)
  • Helmut Merrowinger (Age 47, diplomat in Cordoba region)
  • Philipp Otterbach (Age 28, Spy in Bologna region)
  • Wilhelm Scherer (Age 41, spy in Ragusa region)
  • Fredericus von Luxemburg (Age 30, spy in Metz region)
  • Rainald Eriach (Age 42, spy in Kiev region)

My settlements:

• Frankfurt (Capital, pop 7,058; PO 120%; inc 2,005 F)
  • Nuremburg (Pop 3,651; PO 150%; inc 1,730 F)
  • Staufen (Pop 3,518; PO 200%; inc 905 F)
  • Bologna (Pop 20,021; PO 115%; inc 1,870 F)
  • Vienna (Pop 5,976; PO 135; inc 1,955 F)
  • Innsbruck (Pop 2,041; PO 190%; inc 751 F)
  • Florence (Pop 5,624; PO 110%; inc 2,059 F)
  • Hamburg (Pop 5,358; PO 185%; inc 1,212 F)
  • Prague (Pop 3,096; PO 130%; inc 1,497 F)
  • Breslau (Pop 1,699; PO 105%; inc 1,120 F)
  • Stettin (Pop 1,003; PO 175%; inc 668)

I finally reviewed the College of Cardinals to see where Theodoricus Godwinson stood in their ranks. He was one of the priest preferati, but was the sole representative of the Empire in their midst. There were still two vacant seats left by recent deaths.

I took a look around my regions to see what armies were visible at their borders, within sight of the watchtowers, or inside the regions themselves. Most noticeable were the French, of which one army was on the verge of crossing the bridge north of Staufen. The armies spotted included:

• Captain Blanchet, of the kingdom of France, leading 6 units across the bridge between the town of Frankfurt and the castle at Staufen.
  • Captain Thadeo of Venice, leading 2 units waiting near the pass leading towards Innsbruck.
  • Captain Sclavo of Venice, leading 2 units out of the gates of that city.
  • Captain Benicio of Milan, leading an army with 5 units (including a catapult) into the region of Florence -- a cause for concern.
  • Captain Tamerighi of Milan, leading a single unit further ahead of Benicio, seemingly headed south towards the region of Rome.
  • Captain Orso of Sicily, leading his 2 units into Florence region once again.
  • The brigands ravaging the region of Breslau under Captain Brezprym, 5 units strong.

Having taken stock of my situation, I advanced the turn. The reports for Turn 46 (Winter) came:

• Bride Presented: Kordula von Humerburg, for Nikolaus von Erfurt (accepted)
  • Settlement Besieged: Frankfurt, by France (as was expected)
  • EOT Report: A small deficit (-261 florins), but no real change in the Empire's overall and military rankings
  • Settlement Upgrade: Vienna was ready for its expansion
  • Faction Announcements: Trait increase, Maximillian Mandorf (Noble in Rule, +2 Chivalry); retinue expansion, Maximillian Mandorf (Hildegard von Bingen, public order improvement)
  • Construction: Church (Nuremburg) and city watch (Bologna)
  • Recruitments: Teutonic knights (Frankfurt), town militia (retrained, Prague) and peasant archers (retrained, Prague)
  • Diplomatic: War, France against the Holy Roman Empire; alliance broken, France with Milan; alliance made, France with Denmark
  • Relations: The Papal States, good (improvement)

Seeing as the defenses of the northern marches were strong enough for now, I decided to recall young Wolfgang von Lubeck from Stettin castle to join with units from the garrison at Hamburg and march to the aid of Frankfurt. However, their movements would be slow, so I hoped for the best and advanced the turn...

The French never gave me a chance to get Wolfgang there. Captain Blanchet began the assault immediately, and it was up to the garrison under Captain Ortwinus and his Teutonic knights to save Frankfurt:

• Captain Ortwinus (516 men), versus
  • Captain Blanchet (366 men, France)

Ortwinus was appropriately placed near the eastern gate of the city where the French were launching their assault, so I arranged my garrison as best I could to receive the enemy attacks.

Captian Blanchet had constructed scaling ladders and a ram. The former were being carried by a unit of town militia; peaant archers were moving the ram.

The French approached the walls under the fire of the archers. The catapults mounted in the towers at the gate and on the walls weren't very effective (a general pet peeve for sieges in Medieval 2 with me), and the ram was able to reach the gate. The ladder went up first.

The spear militia on the walls were holding out well enough at first, by I still brought over a unit of town militia from the wall on the other side of the gate to assist them, as the French had sent a unit of their own spearmen forward to mount the ladders.

While these were engaged in the struggle to maintain control of the city walls, the French ram had done its work. I had placed a unit of spear militia right behind the gate to receive the assault from this breach, and a pair of town militia backed by Ortwinus's knights were on hand.

The men at the gates performed their task admirably. My only concern at this stage of the battle was for the spear milita on the walls, which had gotten fairly depleted in their contest against the Frenchmen before the town militia unit arrived to lend a hand.

In the meantime, my archers had done their job beautifully, cutting down the numbers of the French archers and keeping them from assisting their countrymen. I kept their attention focused on these so as to avoid friendly fire incidents, and soon drive off these Frenchmen.

For long moments, it seemed as though the battle was hanging in the balance. The French spearmen on the ladders were murder on my spear militia at the walls. Only the presence of the town milita seemed to keep them from routing.

Finally, Blanchet fell in the melee at the gates! Afterwards, it was a matter of the enemy routing and Ortwinus following the garrison out in pursuit.

Running his knights ragged across the fields in pursuit of the routing French, Ortwinus finally caught up with the last exhausted band of warriors and finished them off. No man of the French escaped.

• Captain Ortwinus: 270 kills (96 prisoners), 406 of 516 men remaining
  • Captain Blanchet: 128 kills (no prisoners), no men remaining

It would've been a small compensation (523 florins) in ransom for this insult to the Empire's sovereignity but, alas, the French king was not such a reasonable fellow. The prisoners were executed. I was left wondering what made the AI come to decisions like refusing to pay ransoms.

I advanced the turn, and immediately got a suitor for my princess Alfgarda. Jobst von Schwaben (age 49) might've been an older man, but he had plenty of loyalty and some useful martial traits (a confident attacker and night fighter), so I accepted. I was going to need generals on my western front, if the French insisted on continuing hostilities.

Turn 47 (Summer) brought me the following reports:

• A Suitable Prince: Jobst von Schwaben (age 49) betrothed to Alfgarda.
  • New Mission: The Pope finally called for a Crusade! The target was Antioch -- I would pause for a turn or two before deciding, to see if the French were continuing their hostilities.
  • EOT Report: A large exependiture brought on a deficit (-4,654 florins), much of it due to recruitments and retraining, as well as upgrades for existing settlements in light of the new war. The Empire maintained its military strength.
  • Recruitments: Sergeant spearmen (2 at Staufen), peasant archers (Staufen), cog (Florence -- my first naval unit of the campaigns) and armoured sergeants (2 at Hamburg)
  • Diplomatic: Wars, the Papal States versus Portugal, the Moors versus Sicily; alliance, Sicily with Venice
  • Cardinal Promoted: Albin of Slupsk (Poland)
  • Relations: France, poor (worsened); England, very good (improvement); Milan, very good (improvement)
  • Marriage Celebrations: Jobst von Schwaben to Alfgarda (they all seem the same after so many...)

With the reports out of the way, I put my spy Fredericus von Luxemburg to work, investigating the French armies now crossing into the region of Metz. Things looked tense -- they had plenty of cavalry in between them (at least six units including the general), and one army had armoured sergeants. I was getting my force from the northern marches down just in time. The larger of the two French armies was led by a family member, Bertin Plesseraud.

I advanced the turn, taking the chance that Plesseraud wouldn't cross over directly into combat with one of the more distant settlements at the frontier from where my reinforcements from Hamburg and Stettin were coming. There were no rude surprises.

Turn 48 (Winter) brought a number of different reports, not the least of which was the death of Pope Gregory and the elections for a new Pope:

• The Pope is Dead: Pope Gregory
  • Crusades: France and Hungary joined the Crusade for Antioch -- this prompted my decision concerning that mission.
  • EOT Report: A small deficit this time (-848 florins), but no change in the standings of the Empire itself.
  • Papal Elections: I entered the elections for Pope and picked my cardinal Theodoricus Godwinson ("the Missionary"). Unfortunately, Lorenzo the Missionary from Sicily carried the day and became Pope Orsellus. At least I had Hungary, the Papal States and England behind my candidate.
  • Recruitments: Peasant archers (2 at Staufen), sergeant spearmen (Staufen), crossbow militia (2 at Bologna) and Teutonic knights (retrained at Frankfurt)
  • Diplomatic: Wars, Hungary and France against Egypt; alliance, Turks with the Byzantine Empire; truce, Milan with Portugal; client kingdoms, the Byzantine Empire and the Turks; recounciled, Scotland and Milan
  • Cardinals: Death, Evio Perego (Milan); promotion, Niebor of Sanok (Poland)

Given the report that France had joined the Crusade, I decided that my general Dietrich of Saxony, who had just left Hamburg castle with the intent to fortify the regions bordering those of the French, had to join the Crusade himself. This would bring me into conflict with the Egyptian Muslim faction, but it would offset the French crusader army that was bound to be crossing Imperial lands soon, and perhaps place the French on an awkward position should they divert themselves with an assault against a fellow Christian en route.

Dietrich immediately recruited a large number of fanatics and pilgrims, as well as some crusader sergeants. This gained him a mercenary captain in his retinue. He was ready to go to battle.

The only other moves for this turn were for me to send my new cog under the command of Admiral Eusebius on its maiden voyage around the islands of Corsica and Sardinia for some exploration, and to try and mend relations with the French using my available diplomats. I advanced the turn, and received a surprise.

The French sent their diplomat Philip de Nogaret to meet with Jobst von Schwaben instead, offering a simple ceasefire agreement. I had him accept, bringing a happy ending to a rather troubling war.

Turn 49 (Summer) brought the following reports:

• Guild Availability: Merchants' guild (Vienna, accepted)
  • Foreign Merchant: Lerino Matarrese (Milan) acquired in a bid against my amber merchant Andreas Salier in Stockholm region
  • EOT Report: A larger profit (1,296 florins); no change in the Empire's military status.
  • Crusades: The Holy Roman Empire and Spain join
  • Settlement Upgrade: Florence ready to upgrade
  • Missions: The noble council mission to annex Antwerp had lapsed (failure) -- no real concern for me, as I wanted no northern war... yet.
  • Faction Announcements: COA, Charles
  • Construction: Town guard (Frankfurt) and stone wall (Vienna, upgrade)
  • Recruitments: Diplomat (Frankfurt) -- this fellow would be my contact with the French
  • Diplomatic: War, Spain against Egypt; truce, Franch with the Holy Roman Empire
  • Relations: Hungary, very good (improvement); Russia, very good (improvement)

With the pressure of a war on my western and northern frontiers removed for the time being, my crusading general Dietrich von Saxony was ready for his mission. I immediately turned him east...

Here, he was blocked on his way by a rebellion led by one Captain Tancred, a scoundrel with pikemen and a unit of knights in his entourage. I wasn't going to let the knave get away with his actions.

• Dietrich von Saxony (1,034 men), versus
  • Captain Tancred (296 men, rebels)

The odds were very much in old Dietrich's favor. However, the weather wasn't quite cooperating. My decision was to have the crusaders bum-rush the rebels, sparing as much of my better men (the knights, armoured sergeants, and general's cavalry) as possible.

To complicated matters, there was a brutal storm. Rain and fog obscured the battlefield, which was also set in the midst of a forested hillside. Tancred's rebels were somewhere ahead in all of this...

I grouped my army so that the infantry was in a separate body from Dietrich and the rest of the cavalry, who were to approach the portion of the rebel forces from the left flank. There, Tancred waited with several units of crossbow militia. The infantry approached the rebel forces from the right, which included a number of halberds.

Faced with this, I opted for a straight charge.

Dietrich and his knights reached Tancred's crossbowmen on the left flank first. I would keep my eye fixed upon this part of the battle until I was sure that they were safe from being hit in their own flank by the rebel infantry on the right. Luckily, there were only town militia, light infantry, supporting Tancred here.

On another positive note in the battle, the halberd militia that formed the strongest units in Tancred's force was sufficiently unsettled by the mobs rushing down upon them that they were wavering even as they approached.

As for Tancred himself, he was a renegade Imperial knight who got caught up in the charge of Dietrich's cavalry as they swept the crossbowmen and infantry aside. Forced into a melee, he fell. This drove the rebels to rout.

• Dietrich von Saxony: 78 kills (42 prisoners), 999 of 1034 men remaining
  • Captain Tancred: 41 kills (no prisoners), 176 of 296 men remaining

With Tancred's rebellion swiftly crushed, Dietrich von Saxony gained a loyalty trait increase ("Feels Appreciated"), and his path on the Crusade was clear. He would continue on his way south and east, following the land routes towards the regions controlled by Hungary and the Byzantine Empire.

With the French question settled for the time being, I took the turn to get a quick look at my new diplomat Lukas Becker (age 39) before sending him on his way from Frankfurt. My merchant Erhart Uttenheim was also made to pause at a resource long enough to set up a brief trade route on his way through the Byzantine territories of Asia.

At this point, I advanced the turn. Ottó von Kassel at Vienna received a visit from the Byzantine diplomat Alvanites of Velzistha, who offered trade rights with the Empire. I had him accept the terms.

Turn 50 (Winter) brought the following reports:

• New Mission: The Pope ordered me to speed up the conversion of my region of Stettin.
  • Merchants: A foreign merchant named Jesper Mikkelsen managed to put one of mine out of business (at this time, I can only recall either Andreas Salier's amber trade or a newer merchant in Polish territories being brought out).
  • EOT Report: A small profit (117 florins), and some indication that the Empire's military power was in peril (the red colour of my rank number).
  • Diplomatic: Wars, Scotland against Denmark, Spain against England; alliance broken, Denmark with France; alliance declared, France with Scotland; excommunicated, France

There was an interesting turn of event in the diplomatic information. Apparently, France was being a bad boy in the Pope's eyes for making alliances with the Scots. What this involved for me remained to be seen, although I wasn't sure that I wanted another war with them while my best general was away crusading in the east.

As I advanced the turn, the Scottish diplomat Gille Comded of West Lothian visited young Prince Charles near the western frontiers. The trade rights deal seemed fair enough eithout risking the Pope's wrath, so I had him accept it. What remained to be seen now was if the French would show signs of hostility again, or if the Pope would've taken umbrage to my decision here.

Turn 51 (Summer) brought the following reports:

• EOT Report: A modest profit (833 florins), and the Empire's military ranking remained sufficiently safe for now.
  • Construction: Land clearance (Stettin)
  • Recruitments: Merchant (Breslau)
  • Diplomatic: War, Portugal against the Moors; truce declared, Scotland with Denmark; excommunicated, Milan

My curiosity was piqued as to what Milan must've done to earn excommunication. Perhaps it was time to consider watching this "ally" rather closely, as he had spent quite a bit of time parking his soldiers on my territory of Florence...

Before advancing the turn, I checked on my new merchant, Theodoricus Courcy (age 26). He was not particularly strong, so I had to keep him moving in case foreign merchants began to show up within move-in distance of him. I also had my diplomat Sigismund von Felben approach Doge Bartolomeo of Venice. Seeing that an offer of ceasefire would probably be unlikely to succeed, I managed to mend the fence a bit by gifting him with map information (he accepted).

The turn advancement brought on diplomatic overtures for my faction. The French diplomat Rolin de Champagne met with Ottó von Kassel, offering trade rights and map information. I had him accept it. So long as it wasn't an alliance, I wasn't going to refuse if it didn't cause my standings with the Pope to fall.

Turn 52 (Winter) brought the following reports:

• Events: The discovery of magnetic ore and its application to the invention of the compass was announced, hinting at things to come...
  • Faction Announcements: Death of Emperor Heinrich the Chivalrous; ascension of Emperor Henry; retinue expansion, Emperor Henry (ornamental armour)
  • Inquisition: Fritz Eriach escaped a guilty verdict while spreading word of the Faith in Stettin -- lucky guy, this time.
  • EOT Report: A large profit (2,164 florins), no significant changes in the Empire's balance of power rankings.
  • Largest Faction: The Byzantine Empire (they must've been expanding territorial gains)
  • Mission Success: The conversion of inhabitants in Stettin region had reached its desired standard, earning my faction a 500 florin reward from the Pope.
  • Faction Recounciled: Milan
  • Relations: Papal States, very good (improvement)
  • Cardinals: Death, Étienne Tristram (France)

With nothing new to do (my crusading general Dietrich maintaining his course, and so on), I advanced the turn. Turn 53 (Summer) brought me the following reports:

• New Mission: The council of nobles wanted me to blockade the port of Ragusa (Venice) -- I would (reluctantly) accept it.
  • Inquisition: Fritz Eriach was executed for heresy -- his luck ran out.
  • EOT Report: A small deficit (-63 florins), and signs of the Empire's standings being challenged on many fronts.
  • Crusades: Sicily joined the Crusade for Antioch.
  • Recruitments: Town militia (2 at Frankfurt) and priest (Nuremburg)
  • Diplomatic: War, Sicily against Egypt
  • Cardinals: Promotion, Martin de Valencia (Spain)

It was on this turn that Dietrich von Saxony finally reached the sea in the vicinity of Thessalonika. There, he hired a mercenary fleet commanded by Admiral Ansehelm and began that leg of his journey.

I also took the turn to review some new agents recruited. Dimarus von Kastilien (age 21) was the young priest who finished his training at Nuremburg, and Heilewif von Franconia had just come of age at Breslau. My young princess would be sent forth in search of a suitable prince in Poland and Russia.

Her first act as a representative of the Empire was to meet Svyatopolk of Kalisz in Poland, to whom she offered a gift of maps. He accepted (I didn't feel comfortable with her chances of marriage here). That task done, I sent her on her way and advanced the turn.

Turn 54 (Winter) brought the following reports:

• Merchants: Another merchant's assets were siezed, this time by Fylep Pál.
  • EOT Report: A larger deficit (-652 florins), but only the overall standings of the Empire seemed to be in danger this turn.
  • City Upgrade: Blreslau was ready to expand (right in time for potential hostilities from the Polish)
  • Diplomatic: War, Hungary with the Byzantine Empire; alliances broken, Hungary with the Turks and Russia
  • Cardinals: Promotions, Jan Wahren (The Holy Roman Empire) and François de Brienne (France)

On this turn, before advancing, I had young Princess Heilewif meet the Danish princess Cecile to offer her the gift of a world map, which she accepted. I reached Turn 55 (Summer) without interruptions, and read the reports:

• EOT Report: A large deficit (-1,888 florins) and some serious challenges to the Empire's standings were indicated.
  • Talk of Desertion: This was a surprise -- I was going to find out why when I went to check on my crusading army, which had just touched land in the neighboring region to Antioch.
  • Faction Announcements: Death, Dietrich von Saxony (Adana region); birth, Siegfried von Erfurt; COA, Theodoricus von Franconia and Prince Gerhard; retinue expansion, Prince Gerhard (mentor)
  • Construction: Stettin was now a castle!
  • Recruitments: Cog (Bologna) and merchant (Frankfurt)
  • Diplomatic: Wars, Scotland against Denmark, Milan against the Moors; alliance, Poland with Milan; excommunicated, Scotland (again)
  • Relations: Moors, so-so (well?)

Old Man Dietrich's passing should've been something to expect. I had thought about giving his young companion Wolfgang von Lubeck the task of crusading, but it seemed like he was the better choice at the time. Now there was this surly band of knights, pilgrims and mercenary spearmen wandering around in a strange land, with no easy targets and no one to lead them...

I looked at my new characters this turn. Prince Gerhard looked to be a promising young heir to the Empire, so I would have to pull him away from that father of dubious piety soon. Theodoricus von Franconia was a bit more questionable, unlike his sister. The new merchant was Jan von Salzgitter, not promising but worth trying out anyway.

The last move that I made before completing the session was to get the new ship commanded by Admiral Günther under way to try and reach Ragusa before the Venetians could take notice. They appeared to be preoccupied with a pirate fleet at the time, offering me a chance to slip by.

What remained to be seen was whether or not this would turna against me, and to see if my crusaders could maintain themselves long enough to reach their goal...
posted 06 December 2010 00:21 EDT (US)     10 / 10  
In order to stop the desertions, you need to attack something, anything, so that the crusading forces get some action.

"The only one here who could possibly help us is Edorix. Unfortunately, he is busy off killing Romans right now."- GundamMerc (an imagined quote)
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » J Ursus Cato's Holy Roman Empire AAR 2010
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames