You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

HG Main Mafia Forum
Moderated by GoSailing, Blatant

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Two Assassins: Mafia (formerly denoted as something sillier)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 6  Next Page »
posted 10-15-13 01:27 PM CT (US)   

Three days ago the inner court convened in the capital city's castle. The ruler of the land, King Harold, was greatly revered by all, and was slated to name his son as the next heir to the throne. There was no protest heard throughout the kingdom, but on the eve of the ceremony, a terrible tragedy occurred. It was late at night when the king taking a routine walk when the assassins struck. What unfolded was difficult to capture, as few of the guards managed to judge the situation. In truth, no man could be expected to claim such a feat.

The King was in a guarded hall, doored on its two ends early. The first attack was comprised of two men and had come bluntly through the front side. One of the two charged the king in a brazen attack. As he approached, he set himself aflame and threw himself for a killing blow. As he did, a second, more stealthy assassin had approached from the rear. With his cover blown, the stealthier assassin was forced into action.

For reasons unknown, but perhaps most probably attributed to a vane sense of pride and purpose, the two assassins then declined to take their target, and instead went for each other. The stealthier man was the far better sword, and he quickly brought down the flaming foe. In a quick instance, he turned and made a slash to the king, but by this point, the guards had taken a better position to stave off further harm. The second of the first group calmly watched the chaos unfold and then silently slipped back into the shadows. The remaining assassin threw an assortment of attacks but was unable to complete his task. To live another day, he fled the scene as well.

The king was alive, but had been nicked in the fray of battle. As it would later become apparent, the blade of the assassin was poisoned with some unknown toxin. Whether or not the king would live was unclear, but for the moment he was incapacitated. The castle was quickly locked down in hopes of catching the perpetrators, but few knew how to manage the situation. The inner circle of the kingdom soon began to point fingers. Where, they wondered, had the two assassins come from? When might they strike again?

Role emails going out shortly.

A few quick hosting notes that everyone would do well to be aware of:

Flavor will not help you at all. I have given out safe claims in that regard. It may or may not contain some consistency errors as it is merely a briefly conjured backdrop for the game.

This game will require heavy critical thinking. Traditional assumptions will not hold. You will not be receiving an easy solution to the game's setup barring extreme luck.

No roles involve chance. No roles are uninformed. Some roles are new. Some may be modified. The setup is extremely atypical. Err on the side of caution.

1. Maeg
2. WRP
3. Pulse
4. Herr
5. Popey
6. Newt
7. Chud
10. Mozzy
11. Zoshi

Dead:

1. Leif - Princess Lyrica - ???
2. Julius - Town Tracker
3. Droid - Town Forensic Analyst

[This message has been edited by THYMOLE (edited 11-17-2013 @ 10:17 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-15-13 01:57 PM CT (US)     1 / 264  
Confirmed

Maegereg
,,,,,,,,,,Crusader for Commas,,,,,,,,,,
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan
posted 10-15-13 01:57 PM CT (US)     2 / 264  
We will be doing a night start so feel free to send in actions.
posted 10-15-13 02:42 PM CT (US)     3 / 264  
Confirmatory

AoMH retired Scenario designer
Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
posted 10-15-13 02:47 PM CT (US)     4 / 264  
Confirmed

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 10-15-13 03:03 PM CT (US)     5 / 264  
New theme looks interesting.

Confirmed

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
posted 10-15-13 03:09 PM CT (US)     6 / 264  
New theme = original, scrapped plot of castletown mafia
posted 10-15-13 03:55 PM CT (US)     7 / 264  
Confirmed

Rick: POS is literally the best poster.
Lunatic: POS, you are awesome, can I marry you?
posted 10-16-13 02:10 AM CT (US)     8 / 264  
Confirmed.

posted 10-16-13 05:00 AM CT (US)     9 / 264  
Confirmed

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 10-16-13 06:22 AM CT (US)     10 / 264  
Confirm
posted 10-16-13 10:15 AM CT (US)     11 / 264  
Confirmatoire

EE forever
posted 10-16-13 10:19 AM CT (US)     12 / 264  
Waiting on newt and mozzy. Herr has acknowledged but is too lazy to post.
posted 10-16-13 01:09 PM CT (US)     13 / 264  
list=PL738B7EA54273DB5A

posted 10-16-13 04:04 PM CT (US)     14 / 264  
Got it.

The Marvellous Mr Gunray!
"Perhaps the kill came from Newt. But that would have to mean he targeted himself, which I doubt." - Ash
"His posts are a prime example of promulgated intelligence, and yet within his staggering vocabulary, there is little, if any comprehensible meaning to be found." - Tonto_Johnlee
"And trust me, he has indeed made my kitchen all the saucier." - Xaph
"Newt is the epitome of what HGers should strive to be." - Mozzy
posted 10-16-13 04:16 PM CT (US)     15 / 264  
Confirmé

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
I too always thought "blog" would sound less silly as the years went by.
Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman
posted 10-16-13 04:21 PM CT (US)     16 / 264  
Night 0

The sun fell as the tumultuous day ceased to be. Frightened eyes peered cautiously before each corner. Only a few, brave souls even dared to leave their quarters for the night. What would they find? A terrifying aura seemed to cloud the castle; even the moon seemed to shy away from this night. It was not to be an easy week.

Send in your night actions now
posted 10-16-13 04:25 PM CT (US)     17 / 264  
I have sent out a night prod. It should be BCC but yahoo mail is kind of shitty now and it seems to imply otherwise. If it is not BCC, please do not Reply All by mistake. I'd appreciate getting the actions rather soon.
posted 10-16-13 04:31 PM CT (US)     18 / 264  
Confirmed!

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
posted 10-18-13 11:24 PM CT (US)     19 / 264  
Deadline for actions will be Monday night
posted 10-19-13 01:58 PM CT (US)     20 / 264  
All actions (or declinations of such) have been received. Day will start soon. I consider this to be a good start. For discussion and balance.
posted 10-19-13 04:40 PM CT (US)     21 / 264  
Night 0

The night began with the ventures of few. Gambles were made to alter the inner workings of the castle to each's own benefit.

Clouds of darkness seemed to permeate where they should not, and there were some who ended up in regions they had not seen before. Newt and Julius were two at the lower end of the night in those regards, but in others, were bathed in the brightest lights. In the darkest depths, a man struck at another with a long thin blade, but was blocked by a heavier mass. Three struggled; all fled. In brief time, another was attacked with a short, thin, and jagged blade, but was blocked in similar fashion. How curious: how things repeat themselves. Actor's repetitions, it seemed, in naught but a different form. A true transcendence of intentions, but of whose origination? T'was not for men to know just yet.

Two kill attempts occurred in the night. Kill attempts on Julius and Newt have failed

It is now Day 1, with 12 alive, it is seven to lynch

I will get to work on sending out night action emails. Give me a little time.
posted 10-19-13 04:51 PM CT (US)     22 / 264  
Please let me know if I have forgotten to fulfill any hosting obligations...
posted 10-19-13 07:32 PM CT (US)     23 / 264  
Well... two failed kills is special.

I am not a survivor or miller.

posted 10-20-13 07:42 AM CT (US)     24 / 264  
I am not a survivor or miller either.

Random voting stage or does anybody have anything on anybody else?

Calculator says: 0,554, which, multiplied by 12, makes 6,648. Vote: Chud

Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
posted 10-20-13 10:40 AM CT (US)     25 / 264  
I do not return guilty results to sane investigations.

I disagree with the principle of random voting. Either the votes are meaningless or they are not. If they are meaningless they achieve nothing. If they are not then they hand an advantage to the mafia, who are the only ones who know enough to be able to use their supposedly random votes as part of a strategy.

Let's vote for someone who is relatively likely to make a bad claim as scum.

Or we could vote for someone whose views about how mafia is played tend to work to the detriment of the town. Does anyone want to make it easy and say that they believe lying as town is okay?

If anyone has an incriminating result, wait until the incriminated person has posted saying whether or not they return a guilty result. If they say yes and you're a Cop with a guilty you get to remain secret while your result is still effectively known. If they say no and you're a Cop with a guilty, you've (almost certainly) caught scum. If they say no and you have some other incriminating result then you can announce that you have something incriminating on them.

posted 10-20-13 10:41 AM CT (US)     26 / 264  
Not a survivor or miller.
posted 10-20-13 11:03 AM CT (US)     27 / 264  
Uhm, ok, I'll go with what Julius said.

Unvote
Vote: Chud

This time because you're the only one whom I don't know, so it's totally possible that you could be one who screws claims up as scum

posted 10-20-13 02:19 PM CT (US)     28 / 264  
Julius is unlikely to botch his claim. I don't show up guilty to sane investigations either.

Maegereg
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan
posted 10-20-13 03:29 PM CT (US)     29 / 264  
You can put me down as a replacement. At the moment I plan to follow along with the game.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 10-20-13 07:38 PM CT (US)     30 / 264  
Not a miller or survivor as far as I know.

I agree with the pressure on Taichud. Don't think I need to vote just yet.

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

posted 10-20-13 08:02 PM CT (US)     31 / 264  
I am not a survivor nor a miller.

EE forever
posted 10-20-13 08:11 PM CT (US)     32 / 264  
Yeah. Caveat that anybody could be an unknowing miller applies.

posted 10-20-13 10:45 PM CT (US)     33 / 264  
Am town, normal, blah blah.

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
I too always thought "blog" would sound less silly as the years went by.
Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman
posted 10-21-13 00:25 AM CT (US)     34 / 264  
No roles are uninformed.

posted 10-21-13 10:19 AM CT (US)     35 / 264  
Claim from Chud sounds good.

Anybody think the set up could be two SKs? The SKs being the two Assassin's?

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
posted 10-21-13 11:21 AM CT (US)     36 / 264  
I am not a survivor nor miller.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 10-21-13 11:41 AM CT (US)     37 / 264  
I don't think Mole would make it that obvious what the setup is. Also, 2 separated scum against 10 townies is quite UP.

posted 10-21-13 01:24 PM CT (US)     38 / 264  
To be fair, SKs in general are under-powered but they are standard fare. (Achievement Unlocked: use 'fair' and 'fare' in the same sentence.)

My guess is that they show up innocent to investigations in order to facilitate the whole theme of not knowing who the assassins are, and it also gives them a boost in terms of balance.

EE forever
posted 10-21-13 02:32 PM CT (US)     39 / 264  
Not a survivor, nor a miller, and quite happy to be alive thank you very much.

"Perhaps the kill came from Newt. But that would have to mean he targeted himself, which I doubt." - Ash
"His posts are a prime example of promulgated intelligence, and yet within his staggering vocabulary, there is little, if any comprehensible meaning to be found." - Tonto_Johnlee
posted 10-21-13 02:35 PM CT (US)     40 / 264  
Julius is unlikely to botch his claim.
True, though Arkham wasn't exactly his finest hour.

posted 10-21-13 02:47 PM CT (US)     41 / 264  
I don't return as a guilty either.
posted 10-21-13 02:47 PM CT (US)     42 / 264  
My guess is that they show up innocent to investigations in order to facilitate the whole theme of not knowing who the assassins are, and it also gives them a boost in terms of balance.
It could be, but Mole definitely told us that we wouldn't be able to puzzle out the setup from flavor or anything else, so I don't really see the point of speculating.

Maegereg
Free Kenan
posted 10-21-13 04:10 PM CT (US)     43 / 264  
I'm a watcher. In Night 0 I targeted Popey. Apparently I did not succeed in performing my action.

posted 10-21-13 04:15 PM CT (US)     44 / 264  
Meh, fine by me, unless somebody also wants a name and flavour claim.

posted 10-21-13 04:39 PM CT (US)     45 / 264  
True, though Arkham wasn't exactly his finest hour.
Well bury my heat at wounded pride. I still don't see how I could have done anything better in those circumstances with the information available to me at the time. The Survivor claim was basically forced on me and the choice of role fitted acceptably with the flavour and was reasonably plausible without being too easy to disprove. It's easy to criticise when there's a guilty result and a counterclaim.
It could be, but Mole definitely told us that we wouldn't be able to puzzle out the setup from flavor or anything else, so I don't really see the point of speculating.
Yes, he did, although the way he chose to write the flavour text for last Night makes me think this might not be quite as true as he said. That or he's chosen to be actively misleading, which I don't think he likes. In any event, even if we knew for certain that we had two SKs I can't see how it would change how we should play during this Day.

Votes seem to have accumulated on Chud with no opposition. That's okay, although a little uninteresting. The way we're going he'll claim and unless it's a seriously weak claim we'll move on. We could end up repeating that process several times or even until everyone has claimed, but I'm not sure it would be a good plan.

For that reason I propose we agree on a general approach in order to prevent drift. I think we should agree on a number of claims that is the maximum we will get today without someone building an actual case against someone else. I suggest three, but I'm open to counter-suggestions. Once we get to three claims we don't go for a fourth unless someone makes an accusation with something behind it, or possibly if we think all three claims are such that lynching any of them would be an unacceptable risk. (But I think it's very unlikely our first three claims will be such that this applies.)

The advantage of this is that it creates useful pressure rather than the pseudo pressure of an indefinitely long procession of claims without accusations. If you haven't figured out why this is, put yourself in the shoes of the third person to claim where that person happens to be scum. The stakes are higher than if anything not obviously rubbish would simply lead to someone else claiming, and higher stakes are more likely to tempt mistakes.

posted 10-21-13 04:41 PM CT (US)     46 / 264  
Probably should have refreshed the page after taking such a long break while writing that post.

Anyway, obviously we do want a name and flavour claim from Chud. Why wouldn't we?

After we get that, the rest of my previous post still applies.

posted 10-21-13 05:01 PM CT (US)     47 / 264  
I am Gallar, the Keeper of Spies.

posted 10-21-13 05:57 PM CT (US)     48 / 264  
Yeah, that claim seems sound. Very interesting reason for failure though. He can't be faith without knowing that he is faith, which would suggest that he was blocked. And a mafia roleblocker blocking Chud of all people would make no sense so it would quite likely be a town roleblocker who did the blocking.

So, my question is, should we have this blocker come out so we can have a (fairly) confirmed townie or a suspect in case of any unwanted blocks?

posted 10-21-13 06:09 PM CT (US)     49 / 264  
No, I don't think Chud's blocker should come out yet. Since we're more interested in finding the mafia and since we want to limit our claims, if there is a second blocker out there who blocked someone else, I suggest they come out, thus revealing potentially our mafia hitman and getting our last claim.
posted 10-21-13 07:50 PM CT (US)     50 / 264  
Chud isn't faith because Thymole said there were no roles depending on random chance. He was either blocked, or his target (taking into account redirecting roles) had some sort of complete immunity to investigative actions at least, or he is lying.

Herr, you say that it makes no sense for a Mafia Roleblocker to block him; would it make any more sense for a town Roleblocker to block him? If so, why? Assessing the probability of this happening is important because it has a direct bearing on the probability that Chud is lying and therefore scum.

Complete immunity to investigative actions would be an interesting trait. If Popey has that trait (including having it as part of a wider trait) I think we should know about it. There's no point wasting our investigators attempting to confirm someone who is immune.

Also, if we have any townie redirecting roles, use them wisely. If you don't have a specific purpose in mind, don't use that sort of power at all if you can avoid it. It's too confusing.

Lastly, why did you target Popey, Chud? Would it not have made more sense to target someone especially likely to be targeted for a kill? Popey wouldn't have been my choice so I'd like to know why he was yours.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 6  Next Page »
HeavenGames » Forums » HG Main Mafia Forum » The Two Assassins: Mafia (formerly denoted as something sillier)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
HeavenGames