You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ships are now bathtub-sized? I'm really disappointed, ES...
posted 08-26-05 04:03 PM EDT (US)   
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the size of this ship in the latest screenshots -- they're no longer what they used to be... what they were promised to be.

This was how they used to be:

This is how they are now:

Bathtub-size frigates...

ES, if there is anything that I could be missing here, please let me know.

I can't tell you how much this disappointed me. I've been anxiously waiting for AoE3 ever since it was announced, and eventhough I felt let down a number of times with features such as ghost trains and fixed trade routes, I knew AoE3 has so many other interesting things to offer that can overshadow these minor drawbacks.

I guess I was wrong. As the game progresses closer and closer to release date, the contents seem to deteriorate more and more.

ES, please don't take any offense in this, as I want you folks to know that I really appreciate your hardwork, especially with the contact with us fans here, but I must say that this wave of feature cuts have taken away my trust for you as my all-time favorite game developer, whose name and "Age of Empires" brand was all I need to know to justify that I can spend thousands of dollars to buy a brandnew computer for AoE3 -- and just AoE3 alone.

Now I realize maybe I shouldn't.

ES, if there is anything that I could be missing here, please let me know.

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 08-26-2005 @ 04:32 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-26-05 04:17 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
They're still the same size as the first shot, it just so happens that the last ship is one of the smallest.

posted 08-26-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
First of all, I don't see much of a difference anywa.

Secondly, the newest screenshots are apparently unoffical, from an old build of the game, etc etc

Thirdly, there are many types of ships. Are you sure that's a frigate? Maybe it's a teenie tiny doger ship.

He died peacefully, because there is no sound in a total vacuum. As for the other hamsters...
posted 08-26-05 04:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
The small last picture is of a caravel I believe. Frigates are quite a bit larger.
posted 08-26-05 04:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  

Quoted from Elpea:

They're still the same size as the first shot, it just so happens that the last ship is one of the smallest.

You mean the ship in the first screenshot is a frigate and the latest shot isn't?

Quoted from Scorpi:

First of all, I don't see much of a difference anywa.

Let me resize the picture to scale, so you can see the difference.

Quote:

Secondly, the newest screenshots are apparently unoffical, from an old build of the game, etc etc

The older the build, the bigger the ships.

posted 08-26-05 04:40 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
I think Some Es guy said some ships have too bee smaller,so that the really BIG one will be cooler or something.
posted 08-26-05 04:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
---Ghost Trains, Fixed trade routes, Not so big ships and buildings, Teleported shipments, Very small farms, Shot thought Walls, No Men on Walls, 1 Acc per cd-key, units taking multiple pop slots...

In the other hand...

+++Siege now have crew, infinite farms, no drop points for resources, trade routes, natives, mercenaries, good graphics, natives / merc dont take pop slots, home cities, experience, round map, ragdoll, units have a secondary siege attack...

Now, looking at that, i noticed that almost everything i disliked in Age 3 avoid excessive micromanagement:

Ghost trains: if werent like that, i couldnt safely send my expensive cannon units to battle without fearing losing them in a stupid way.

Fixed trade routes: what would stop the players to spam trade routes between markets placed on odd areas of the map? fixed trade routes and neutral tradesmen will make for a better game (IMO, trade routes should go through all players starting town center).

small ships: if they took half the screen, they would be able to shot to the other side of the map... thats a problem. Maneuvering as well wouldnt be fun, and you would have to zoom in and out while messing with soldiers and ships.

teleported shipments: what if you lose the water to your enemy? do you deserve to not receive any shipments at all only because your opponent build a dock before you? And not every map has water.

no men on walls: to take them out, or to put them in, more micro... (but that would look cool...).

I still think this game could have "solid walls", bigger (but not so much) buildings, larger farms, no multiple pop slot units and more than 1 acc per cd-key...

But im far from disappointed. If you were really dissapointed, you wouldnt buy the game right?

posted 08-26-05 05:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12  

Quoted from bahari:

I think Some Es guy said some ships have too bee smaller,so that the really BIG one will be cooler or something.

If you could provide me a link to that, I'd appreciate it.

Quoted from sexypanda:

Ghost trains: if werent like that, i couldnt safely send my expensive cannon units to battle without fearing losing them in a stupid way.

I would like to keep this on the ship topic, but I'll reply to some of your other points.

About the ghost trains: they don't have to be ghost in order to not kill your units. Let them hit the units, but dont let them do damage.

Quote:

Fixed trade routes: what would stop the players to spam trade routes between markets placed on odd areas of the map?

What would stop them? How about a group of 20 raiders for starter?

And speaking of fixed trade routes and phantom trade units, another problem with this is that it took away the strategic element of raiding enemies' trade units, putting a major blow into his investments. You no longer can do that when your men can walk through them as if they were holograms.

Quote:

small ships: if they took half the screen, they would be able to shot to the other side of the map... thats a problem.

Unless the size of the map is two screen in width, I don't understand what you mean.

Quote:

Maneuvering as well wouldnt be fun, and you would have to zoom in and out while messing with soldiers and ships.

Remember that naval battle would no longer involve fleets of 40+ ships as in AoK. Naval battle, as ES have stated, will involve on average around, more or less, 4 ships.

Speaking proportionally, that's 10 times less ships, meaning that the ship in AoE3 can be technically 10 time as big (not that it needs to be) and still be maneuverable.

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 08-26-2005 @ 05:23 PM).]

posted 08-26-05 06:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
There are different sized ships -- that is one way to be able to tell them apart. Caravels are small (though still larger than any ship we've done before). Galleons are medium-sized and Frigates are huge.

We have not shrunk ship sizes as far as I can remember.

There have been no screenshots or videos released as of Aug 26 of ship combat animation. It just went in a couple of days ago.

posted 08-26-05 07:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
This is not a surprising development. Large ships are impractical from both a design and gameplay perspective.

I am not so much disappointed that ships have been reduced in size, but that naval combat looks relatively unchanged in comparison to Age of Kings and Age of Mythology.

posted 08-26-05 07:19 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  

Quote:

I am not so much disappointed that ships have been reduced in size, but that naval combat looks relatively unchanged in comparison to Age of Kings and Age of Mythology

Unfortunately, naval combat can be improved on so much.

posted 08-26-05 07:37 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
I don't know, something's definitely not right about the last ship. In the first pic everything seems proportional:

Even in that really small ship it looks like people will fit normally. But in the last pic the people are clearly too big for the ship, unless there's a race of giants ES isn't telling us about...

So what's going on here? Are ships and people going to look okay when they're in the same screen except for one ship that, for some reason, wasn't resized correctly? Or are ships going to look like those toy cars built for toddlers when compared to infantry?

Grammar and such go a long way in these forums and I would hate to see heavengames lower it's high standards. - Shala_LoL
posted 08-26-05 10:48 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  

There is already another thread with ES replies, its title is "Again ES", go look there.

Also, you are talking about screenshots released from a preview build from which screens were not supposed to be released.

I still don't see a grand difference in the ships except highlighting the fact that the last screenshot wasn't taken at max settings with everything on.

closed,

KS

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Ships are now bathtub-sized? I'm really disappointed, ES...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames