Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Song of Ice and Fire Mod
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-29-12 07:26 PM CT (US)   

Hello, Folks, big update. I'm making me familiar with AGE 3, so now I'm announcing that I've already made a MAJOR update in the mod "A Game of Ice and Fire".

The major changes will be:
*more powerful and expensive castles. Maybe without auto attack
*NO GUNPOWDER. Only King's Landing and maybe Volantis now have access to Valyrian fire, so explosive boats and units already are limited.
*Less powerful siege weapons.
*Taverns to hire mercenaries (an usual topic)
*Cheaper militias, a bit less horses and heavy infantry.

*FACTIONS in each civilization: Now you can choose the Bolton, Frey, Reyne, Florent, Hightower, Styr Magnar of Thenn, and many, many other choices...

*RELIGION: there are four of them, being Cthulhu... errm the Drowned God, the Seven, R'hllor and the Ancient Gods, every one with diferent buildings and units.

*INFLUENCE: Unlocks new techs, new units, and it's a requisite to the advancing of age, and power up the militias through the new resource. Is gained via "The Tower of Crows", a new building replacing the cannon tower, by achieving and reclaming via research certain things: population, number of researchs and military prowess; It can be gained too building castles and researching certain technologies (Guilds, Banking, Jousts)

*GAMEPLAY
Any help is welcomed, and gratefully accepted..

The changes so long:

*Changed the "lost" theme to The Rains of Castamere
*Changed the "xwon" theme to "La Canción del Oso y la Doncella" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isApnUVhY-g])
*Changed the main videos with the intro of Game of thrones
*Changed almost every history to the Houses/ civilizations that are represented.
*Changed many of the heroes of the civilizations: the five kings, Illiryo, young and old Robert Baratheon, Tywin Lannister, Oberyn Martell, etc.
Torre de Antigua

*Units:
-All unique units changed according to the books.
-In progress: All heroes to book's characters.
-New Units: unmounted horsemen. Everytime that a knight or similar dies, it's replaced by a foot unit, that, when it dies, leaves the normal knight corpse ( if it is possible, i want to leave two units when a knight falls: a dead horse and a living soldier).
-New buildings and Graphics Sets.

*Several icons
*Faction and Religion allowed
*Changed "Age" names for "Influence" names:

-Dark Age is now Local Landlordship-thing (Señorío Local)
-Feudal Age is now Minor House
-Castle Age is now Major House
-Imperial Age is now Royal House
-Post-Imperial Age is now Dynasty.

*Civilizations

Westeros
The North: Celts. Factions: Bolton, Stark and League of Minor Houses
The West: english. Factions: Lannister of Casterly Rock, Lannister of Lannisport, Reyne of Castamere
Stormlands: Huns. Factions: Renly, Robert and Stannis.
The Dominion: franks. Factions: Tyrell, Florent, Hightower
Iron Islands: (an easy one) vikings. Factions: Greyjoy of Pyke, Euron's Corsairs, and Drowned Men.
Dorne: Saracens. Factions: House Martell, House Yronwood and the Rhoynar.
Riverlands: (hard work to do) Spanish. Factions: House Tully, House Frey and Brotherhood without banners.
House Arryn: Teutons. Factions: House Arryn, House Baelish and Mountain Clans
The Night's Watch: Koreans.
The Free Folk: Goths
King's Landing: Bizantine
Dragonstone: japanese (hard, very hard work)

Essos
Dothraki: (easy as well) Mongols
Braavos: Turks (hard work)
Free Cities: Persians
Qarth: Chinese (hard work)
Shadowlands: Mayans (hard work)
Ghis: to be the Aztecs

*I've changed too the names of the aleatory players to relatives of the books. So, the english/lannister PC players will be Lord Tywin Lannister, Tyrion, Queen Cersei, etc.

I hope to use some graphics downloaded from these pages, so... thanks to all. And, if you want, welcome to my project.

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Factions
For reasons concerning the books, every Civilization will be based on a kingdom or region, NOT a noblehouse. I'm adding a new parameter: Faction (similar to the ToME's alliances). Almost every civilization will have three choices regarding the house or faction that stablish his dominion, everyone with important modifications to the "core" benefits of the civ. For example: For the Riverlands we can choose between the House Tully, the House Frey or the King's Men (Brotherhood without Banners); this is reflected on the units and technologies that they had access to: "defense" centered, "economic" centered or (kind of) "offensive" centered.

HUGE UPDATE

*New Resource!!! Influence. Influence can be gained from several sources: castles, maesters, nobles and certain technologies, such as Bank or the election of a faction (both nobiliary houses and religions). it's displayed as a little iron throne, before Population.

Thanks too to the University tutorial of fr steve I've learned to make limited superunits, such as the

*Royal Guard (white swords) for King's Landing.
*Rainbow Guard (Tyrell and Baratheon under Renly's rule)
*DRAGONS!!!! to Daenerys Targaryen (Mereen & dothrakis under Khaleesi) (planned)
*Giants to the Free Folks. (planned)
*Worg (North)
*White Walkers (gaia -to do)
(open to suggestions)

Limited "nobiliary-political" and mercenary (expensive but fast creation) units:
*Vargo's mercs
*Maceers
*Golden Company
*Maesters
*Lords
*Spies (planned)
*Assassins
*Slave Soldiers & Emancipated

Update 10/8/2013

*Improved User Interfaces for each civilization (still in Beta stage)

*Almost every civilization is complete. Only minor details and adjustments to do.

*Mercenary units by faction:
-Bolton, Lannister, and Frey have Vargo's Mercs
-All Seven Kingdoms civs have access to Errand Knights
-Dorne and the Free Cities have access to the Golden Company
-Slaver's Bay, Shadowlands, Qarth and the Free Cities have access to slave soldiers.
-Stark, Minor Houses of the North, Tully's and King's Men have access to Rannochmen
-Iron Islanders, Free Folks, Moon's Mountains barbarians, Littlefinger and Casterly Rock Lannisters have access to throwing axeman and barbarian raiders,
-Everyone else has something else (i do not remember everyone )

*Church Techs by chosen faith (water-based, fertility based, fire based, "holy" based). Also, every faith has his own priests, all of them with a new graphic set.

*Civ bonus by faction choosing. Every faction has specialized techs and orientation: for example, the Dothraki Khalasar has many defensive and infantry drawbacks, but is a superb cavalry rusher, Vaes Dothrak has a better defense and economy (not great, altough, only better than the Khalasar), and Sons of the Khaleesi have a better, cheaper infantry... and dragons. Another example is Vale of Arryn: House Arryn is defensive, powerful and slow, Moon's Mountain people are cheaper and fastest, but a little crappy (at least until the last age, with the tech Tyrion's Alliance), and House Baelish is mercenary-economicaly centered.

*Random maps specialized (adding Weirwoods and White walkers to Northern maps)

*Banners surrounding the Town Center depicting the choosen faction.

*Dothraki's Unique graphic set.

*Graphics changing for the same unit in every civilization.

-Game mechanics-

*Double Population cost for cavalry and unmounted knights (except a few civs)

*All cavalry (including cavalry archers and genitours) in the Stable.

*Food/economic researches and units in the Inn.

*Accuracy attribute for every unit, developed by civ and techs (in the related building: infantry in Barracks, cavalry in Stable, archers in Archery Range, etc).

*Range changed for almost every unit: 0.25 for Two Handed swords, 0.5 for shields and Spears, 0.75 for only spears, etc.

*Crossbowmen and Archers are separate units, developed and upgraded by itself:
-Archers upgrades to Fast Archers and Longbow Archers
-Crossbowmen, Heavy Crossbowmen, and Advanced Heavy Crossbowmen.
-Spearman to Pikeman, to Halberdier;
-Shielded Spearman, to Shielded Pikeman, to Phalanx
-Militia to man-at-arms, to Professional Infantry, to Heavy Infantry.
-Two-handed swordsmen to Champion (yes, it could be better). They are from a new class (as every other infantry unit with a two handed, long weapon)

*Asian graphic set changed almost completely (still a bit buggy) and differentiated from Dothraki set

*Two new resources: Influence and Mercenary Contracts, plus a few for limited and unique units.

*Two new buildings: Tavern and Crow's Tower (for augment of Influence by certain facts: kills, population, completed researches, and a few new units: Magister and Greenseer's Crows).

*A new damage type: valyrian fire damage. Only for special units, although -King's Landing Lannister, Targaryen and Shadowlands.

UPDATE 15/11/2013

*Changed the interface of a few civilizations, displaying the Iron Throne icon of Influence.

*A big change in the ex-koreans to reflect the idiosincracy of the Nights Watch: northern european based buildings, black dressed villagers, and black dressed troops.

*Fine tuning Faction abilities and withdraws

*Broad variety of new units and graphics, from shielded pikeman to valyrian fire launching "grenadiers"

*Rustic/ fake AI that enables a moderately easy single play

A (little bit outdated) demo version
link

Progress: 85%

And by the way... it's all in spanish, because i'm from Argentina. Sorry for my english

screenshots:
The Dothraki in the Castle Age:

Frey Cavalry Troops

A few anotations and aclarations

[This message has been edited by Erechel (edited 11-15-2013 @ 09:03 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-29-12 08:05 PM CT (US)     1 / 68  
Excellent. Another total conversion mod. Excellent. *eyes roll* ()

Although in all seriousness, I wish you the best of luck. For what it's worth.
posted 12-29-12 09:32 PM CT (US)     2 / 68  
Heh. I loved the first three books, though the last two have wanted IMO. Anyway, I'll follow this with interest.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 12-29-12 11:27 PM CT (US)     3 / 68  
I'd wondered when someone would try this.

Good luck! Try get some original graphics etc. though fopr your mod. Would be much more appealing.
I'll follow this with interest.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
posted 12-30-12 03:23 AM CT (US)     4 / 68  
I was wondering when one of you guys will bring up this idea

It would be great. As for me , I always had this idea for a multiplayer game set in this universe. It doesn't help that I've never designed multiplayer, but if such a mod were to be made, I'm sure someone would pick up the mantle.
posted 12-30-12 05:51 AM CT (US)     5 / 68  
I'v never read the books but the TV series is my favourite. I'd love to help you create a few graphics. Unfortunately you're missing two important civs in my opinions.

The Night Watch, And the white Walkers & The Whites.

I think you should include these two civs and just ask if you need help with some graphics.
posted 12-30-12 06:08 AM CT (US)     6 / 68  
I would rename the barbarians to Free Folk, and you miss Dorne as well. And how about the Targaeryans (I wont give away spoilers)?
posted 12-30-12 06:52 AM CT (US)     7 / 68  
If the barbarians are supposed to represent the people over the wall then you should call them Wildlings or Free Folk and their hero should be Mance Raydar
posted 12-30-12 08:43 AM CT (US)     8 / 68  
I just finished book 3, won't visit this thread again not to be spoilered jk, keep it up!
posted 12-30-12 09:25 AM CT (US)     9 / 68  
Yo te puedo ayudar haciendo algunos edificios si quieres, se hablar español por si tuvieras alguna duda yo te puedo orientar.

Translation:

I can help you making some buildings if you want, i know how to speak spanish so if you have any doubt i can help you.
posted 12-30-12 07:17 PM CT (US)     10 / 68  
Me gusta la ayuda en castellano! Y estaría bueno hacer algunos edificios, especialmente para las civilizaciones que hay que hacer trabajo duro.

As for the barbarians: It includes the barbarians of the Mountains of the Moon too, but obviously it's the free folk (I've changed "Goths" for "Pueblo Libre" -free folk, in spanish-), and yes, the hero is Mance Rayder.

I'm not missing Dorne: they are the Martell, and the civ is the saracens. But yes, the Wall should be here: out to the ****ing Freys! But the White Walkers will not be here, because they are another thing, and it's vaguely displayed on the series. Asshai is a human city, so it has human needs, but the Others are more a special unit than a civilization.

Gracias por los comentarios!

[This message has been edited by Erechel (edited 12-30-2012 @ 07:25 PM).]

posted 01-04-13 00:23 AM CT (US)     11 / 68  
Hello, friends. I've been busy updating and modding the game, but I'm in a little problem, because there is some things i don't know how to do:
*First: new icons with turtle pack. I want to make custom icons without replacing the old ones, and i want to know how to refer units to them.
*Some tutorial with Turtle Pack. I've been experimenting, but my work progress slowly. I'm using turtle pack and AGE as my base modding programs.

Thanks for the help!
posted 01-04-13 00:29 AM CT (US)     12 / 68  
Please follow Monsterslayer's example and provide a translation at all times when posting in a language other than English.
posted 01-06-13 12:00 PM CT (US)     13 / 68  
You should consider exploring the Game of Thrones LCG for tech and unit ideas, as well.

Game of Thrones Card Browser
posted 01-06-13 11:08 PM CT (US)     14 / 68  
ASOIF is one of my faves too. Gobbled the whole book series in around 2 months' time. Pity GRR is not making the last books any faster. On the topic, I wish you all the best, Erechel. Maybe some modders would help you in time. Just be patient, and it'll come.

My Profile in Empire Earth || Latest Submissions Two Flags: Battle for Africa ||Jun 2023
My Profile in Age of Kings || Latest Submission Shadows of Betrayal || August 2012
AOK Designer of the Year 2012
Core Team Member & Site Co-Administrator,Empire Creations
posted 01-06-13 11:19 PM CT (US)     15 / 68  
*First: new icons with turtle pack. I want to make custom icons without replacing the old ones, and i want to know how to refer units to them.
Using Turtle Pack DRS Editor, open interfac.drs (available in your AoK Data folder) and extract int50730.slp

Using Turtle Pack SLP Editor, open int50730.slp and modify/add icons as needed. All icons are 36x36. Create yours using Paint/GIMP/Photoshop/what-have-you and use the SLP Editor's menu to add new frames as needed. If you make a backup of the int50730.slp file, you can confidently experiment with the tool's settings! Remember the frame number of the new icon you've added, though.

Save the int50730.slp file back into interfac.drs using Turtle Pack DRS Editor again.

In AGE2, select the unit and change the Icon Id to the frame number you just remembered. Copy to other civs as needed with "include graphics" checked.

Save and play!

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
posted 01-23-13 06:36 PM CT (US)     16 / 68  
Thanks, Pulkit. I'm doing it now. Sadly, almost every change that i've made in the last two weeks is lost temporarily. But now i'm making a lot of new graphics.

Progress: 12%
posted 01-23-13 07:02 PM CT (US)     17 / 68  
¿pudieras tomar algunas capturas y mostrarnos algo? o por lo menos ¿mostrar algunos bitmaps? si quieres te puedo hacer unos graficos o puedes utilizarlos algunos que ya hice (si estan siendo usados en algun mod por favor pidele permiso a los dueños de los mods antes de usarlos) pudieras mostrarme alguna imagen con un castillo una casa etc, que te gustaria tener y la puedo diseñar si gustas.

Translation:

can you show us some screenshots or at least some bitmaps?, if you want i can design you some graphics(if they're being used in another mod please ask owners of those mods before) you can show an image with a castle a house etc. that you want it your mod and i can desing it .
posted 01-23-13 07:51 PM CT (US)     18 / 68  
That tower graphic you showed in your main post is not unused. It is the Numenorean wonder in ToME. You will need to request permission to use it in your mod before claiming it.

Tip: even if a piece of graphic isn't used by a mod, you still need permission of the owners of the mod to use it.

posted 01-23-13 10:37 PM CT (US)     19 / 68  

Yes, it is originally from ToME, but it is modified from there. I've claimed it earlier, but there is some modifications. I take away some statues and added more windows and a balcony, and the roof has a few needles. There it is the original, so the changes will be more obvious:

And, of course that I want to ask permission for using it, but it isn't official yet, and i hope to make more modifications.

Well, I hope no one will be offended.

Por los gráficos: la torre sería una muestra. Intenté subir un archivo .zip con los SLPs (incompletos) de la Guardia de la Noche. Estoy buscando mejorarlos aún. Necesitaría algún gráfico del Muro y de Invernalia, y quería hacer alguna mina especial, tipo granja para juntar oro, única para los Lannister.

Translation: As for the graphics: The tower is a sample. I've tried to upload a zip file of the Night's Watch (incomplete) SLPs, but i'm still trying to improve them. I will need some graphics for Winterfell and the Wall, and I want to do a kind of special mine, something like a farm of gold, a unit for the Lannister.

Every aid is gratefully received, and sorry for the use
posted 01-23-13 10:57 PM CT (US)     20 / 68  
I didn't understand clearly what you're trying to say, but if you're saying you've modified it and hence need no permissions, I'm afraid you still do. You still need permission for using it as a base no matter how much modification you do.

Plus, from my personal experience, I'll recommend you ask for permission first before making any modification for your future graphics. It is heart-breaking when all your hard work goes to vain if the author later denies you permission to use it!

posted 01-24-13 00:14 AM CT (US)     21 / 68  
Ah, ok. But, how do I ask for permission? By private message or by a reply in the thread of ToME?.
Anyway, thanks
PD: I did not know how to express myself in english, because I think in spanish, and almost every phrase is a direct translation to the English language.
posted 01-24-13 01:34 AM CT (US)     22 / 68  
ToME thread, or email to either Matt or me.

Anyway, don't worry, you have our permission! Feel free to use and modify the graphic as you need, and I'd prefer you credit Jorgito as the original author.

My intention is just to help you avoid any disappointment in the future. After all, I'm a big ASOIAF fan and am really looking forward to your work here. Good luck, and feel free to ask for anything from ToME you need!

posted 01-26-13 07:36 PM CT (US)     23 / 68  
Sounds cool! May I suggest adding "historical" scenarios to it? Like depicting the rebellion against the Targaryens and so on...
posted 01-26-13 07:48 PM CT (US)     24 / 68  
Once I'm done with all the books (which kind of become one of my favourite books of all time) I'll be glad to help with this mod. Sadly, I am totally incapable of graphic stuff, I can't even get copy & paste buildings look good.

By the way, is it Lannister or Lennister? In the German version it's the latter, but I don't know about other versions.

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 01-26-2013 @ 07:50 PM).]

posted 01-26-13 07:50 PM CT (US)     25 / 68  
Yeah, you gave me an idea John! Thanks.

After we've polished and added more content to AOFE, I would happily help you with the mod, if you need any.
posted 01-26-13 08:17 PM CT (US)     26 / 68  
What idea, Redsting? :O

Although I do have one I always wanted to implement in my own mod:
*Make buildings take a lot more resources and time to build, give them a lot more HP, same for walls, but even more extreme.
*Take pierce armor away completely from buildings, so archers do no damage to buildings at all (unless firing flaming arrows maybe, which could give them +building attack)
*Change keep to "fortified tower" or something like that
*Change castle to "keep"
The goal of that would be to stop forward building and instead make the player rely on heavily fortified castles (not represented by a single building but a constellation of walls, towers and a city) that have to really be besieged to break them. Maybe farms could also be enlarged to force players to place them outside the city walls...

Well, those are my ideas
posted 01-27-13 09:54 AM CT (US)     27 / 68  
The idea to sign up
posted 01-27-13 10:01 AM CT (US)     28 / 68  
These are very nice ideas John. I like the castle siege and the farmland thing, so people will actually have to fight for territory. Maybe the palisades would be used to pretect the farms, in front of the stone walled city.
posted 01-27-13 12:54 PM CT (US)     29 / 68  
I am a big fan of Stronghold (Crusader, too) and found this idea most fitting for this mod, as all the great houses have those big cities/castles and losing a single one can decide a whole war (like Moat Cailin, or what it's called in English).

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 01-28-2013 @ 11:34 AM).]

posted 01-28-13 10:21 AM CT (US)     30 / 68  
Thanks to everyone! I'm glad to say that it's going smoothly in many ways, but i have certain issues with the technologies.

I'm trying to make certain simple tech-& -reseraches, like adding rounded shields to certain unit from the forge, but i can't make it work properly. It's something simple: +1 to pierce armor to shielded infantry units (men at arms, longswordsman, shielded pikemen, etc) almost exactly like Scale Mail and Chain Mail armor, for three techs: rounded shield, tear shield or pavese shield.

It gives me all sort of weird values, from proper ones, to no bonus, or ridiculously great ones in different units, all of them varying if it's researched something after or before the shield techs. I'll be glad if someone can give me some simple solution, or merely a solution to this topic. If better, in spanish.

For the moment, i've been making researches for "diplomatic" issues: essentially, with what faction we play in every kingdom, and i have drawn ¡54! new icons to reflect that (it's still almost decorative).

I'm too want to make a choice between religions: "catholic" Faith of the Seven, "New Age-wyccan-celtish-gibberish" Old Faith, "Cthulhu" Drowned God, and "Magical Inquisition" R'hllor faith, everyone with different buildings and units:
*Septon (the classical monk) unit and Sept building for the Faith of the Seven.
*Warg (an "unpacking" new unit) and Holy Forest

*Maegi (fire throwing priests) and temples for R'hllor
*Drowned men (still don't know what to do with them)

Well, Thanks a lot for all and sorry for my "brutish" english again

[This message has been edited by Erechel (edited 01-28-2013 @ 03:57 PM).]

posted 01-28-13 11:02 AM CT (US)     31 / 68  
Very funny tree, it's like a clown or something .
posted 01-29-13 10:03 AM CT (US)     32 / 68  
Stuck again.
I've copypasted the Monastery and Priest change a few things (name, graphics) to reflect the religion option. I even could make that the Maegi carried the relic on his own (updating the monk with relic to maegi with relic, using the Monk with japanese relic), but then, the problems started:
The relic cannot be placed on the temples of other religions, even when i put three new abilities to deposit, one in each building. And again, the maegi with relic, if the relic is deposited on the ground or the monastery... changes to septon, not the original! as always, any help will be pleased.
posted 01-29-13 11:12 AM CT (US)     33 / 68  
As far as I know, this is somewhat hardcoded. Instead of enabling other temples, make the monastery upgrade to them. If this still does not work, you have to change the monastery for certain civilisations (like building graphics, but stats aswell).
posted 03-18-13 10:14 AM CT (US)     34 / 68  
Erechel, how's the mod coming along?
posted 05-21-13 10:31 AM CT (US)     35 / 68  
I'm stuck for a few months, essentially, I've putted it in a temporal stasis. I'm a writer myself, and I need some discipline to write, so I'm in a momentary lapse of thinking OVERRIDED. CHECK THE POST

[This message has been edited by Erechel (edited 05-31-2013 @ 10:50 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » A Song of Ice and Fire Mod
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames