Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Writing Competition 2012
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 8  Next Page »
posted 12-25-11 04:13 PM CT (US)   
AoKH Writing Competition 2012

Introduction:

Winter by now is in full swing. Now that the lanscape is [should be] now decked in snow, my mind often wanders back to occasions years past, of memories with family and friends. And, if your weather is similar to mine, the cold keeps you blockaded inside with almost nothing to do except to sit in front of a computer with your thoughts for company.

We here at Age of Kings Heaven have manufactured a solution to your boredom. This Christmas day, Age of Kings Heaven is hosting a Writing Competition for all you creative writers out there. What better way to spend your day(s) off than to let your imagination run free!

Whether you prefer prose or poetry, realism or fantasy, modern or historical, dramatic or humorous, we accept them all. So, this is the perfect opportunity for all of you budding storytellers to flex your writing muscles and exercise your creative side, for there is a prize involved. Interested? Read below:

The winner will receive the grand prize of a Custom Title, which he or she may choose freely!

Rules:

What's a competition without rules? Despite your groaning, feast your eyes over these rules below, because you don't want to write a 175 page novel and realize it won't be accepted.

• Your entry must not exceed 6,000 words – if you get up to 6002, you can probably find a sentence to rephrase.

• This is a competition for all sorts of fiction; short stories, prose, poetry or screenplays, anything fictional will be accepted. However, articles, essays and so forth will not be accepted.

• All entries must be sent by email to Leif Ericson, email can be found here

• Once you have sent your entry, you will have no chance to edit it further – make sure you’re happy with it before you send it in.

• Your entry must be your own work and yours entirely – no team entries, no cooperation between two writers, etc. etc. However, you can use pre-existing backgrounds for your story, as long as the story itself is original (for example the realm of Middle Earth, but don’t go copying and pasting the story of Lord of the Rings)

• Your entry must be sent in before 11:59 PM February 16th.

Judging:

The competition has two judges who will give a maximum of 50 points to each story; up to 25 for Technical Proficiency, and up to 25 for Literary Content. The judges are forummers CarolKarine and backlit (previously known as Thunder).

For "Technical Proficiency" the main areas that will be judged will be how well your entry is structured, the literary technique displayed, the use of language for effect, characterization, thematic development and others. You will be marked down for spelling and grammatical errors (unless of course it is used as colloquialism during dialogue), so be sure to check your entries thoroughly for any errors.

"Literary Content" will be the content of the entry itself, and to be blunt - did the judges like it? Was your entry satisfying, was the plot developed, or was the dialogue wooden with the characters lifeless? It may be good writing a well thought out and technical piece of prose, but if it isn't interesting to the judges you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Now that you know what to do and what to expect, it's time to let the creative juices flow! Good luck and have fun writing!

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 02-11-2012 @ 05:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-25-11 04:44 PM CT (US)     1 / 189  
At long last! A perfect Christmas gift! Count me in, as always!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 12-25-11 05:53 PM CT (US)     2 / 189  
judging this means obtaining that o-so-rare reading material! yea! the gods of the internet have smiled upon me!

of course this means I have to read the terrible entries as well...

still happy!

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 12-25-11 06:06 PM CT (US)     3 / 189  
-Does it have to be a full story or can it just be a chapter or so of the story?

-Can we use preexisting work we made. For example, I've been writing my own story in my free time for some months, and it's really good imo.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 12-25-11 06:14 PM CT (US)     4 / 189  
Hey is it fine if I dont type for this competition? I would like to send you a short story that I am telling in my own voice.

Life is bleak
My memes are bleak
Once upon a time
I ate a lime
posted 12-25-11 06:26 PM CT (US)     5 / 189  
I'm not saying anything, but for all the contestants: mail (at) ben-ts (dot) net is my paypal account.
posted 12-25-11 06:29 PM CT (US)     6 / 189  
I will not be judging anything if you dictate it to me. It's a writing contest. and i'm fairly sure I can read faster than you can talk.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 12-25-11 06:42 PM CT (US)     7 / 189  
Hey is it fine if I dont type for this competition?
wouldn't it negate the whole meaning of it? :P it's the "writing" competition.
posted 12-25-11 07:32 PM CT (US)     8 / 189  
Sorry, Dementor. It's a writing competition.
Does it have to be a full story or can it just be a chapter or so of the story?
It can just be a chapter of the story. Just decide what you think the judges will enjoy reading more.
Can we use preexisting work we made. For example, I've been writing my own story in my free time for some months, and it's really good imo.
Yes, you can use preexisting works, just as long as it hasn't been released in a previous competition.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 12-25-11 07:48 PM CT (US)     9 / 189  
Wonderful! I've written some good stuff.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 12-25-11 08:56 PM CT (US)     10 / 189  
Hey is it fine if I dont type for this competition? I would like to send you a short story that I am telling in my own voice.
Dictate into your mike and have it written out.
posted 12-25-11 10:52 PM CT (US)     11 / 189  
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=73d0d16e44324967&resid=73D0D16E44324967!161&parid=undefined

Just a little something I whipped up. A little too long though. And ponied. Lots of teh ponies sprinkled here and there.
posted 12-25-11 11:39 PM CT (US)     12 / 189  
I assume the entries will all be shared here after the contest is over?

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
posted 12-26-11 00:15 AM CT (US)     13 / 189  
Can I submit the entry I could not send last year?
posted 12-26-11 00:20 AM CT (US)     14 / 189  
Yes, at least in a downloadable zip drive. Typically full stories of the top three entries have also been displayed on their own page.

Also, sorry Vinyl:
Your entry must not exceed 6,000 words – if you get up to 6002, you can probably find a sentence to rephrase.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 12-26-11 08:07 AM CT (US)     15 / 189  
Pencil me in - hopefully I'll find the time

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)
posted 12-28-11 03:45 AM CT (US)     16 / 189  
Hey Leif, have I done anything in that past that would cause you to have a deep lingering resentment towards me?

Great! Here it goes now.

I no longer want to be a judge in this contest. I've had what seems like a really good idea for a story, so I think I'll compete rather than judge.

I'm sorry about that. Pulling out is a great method for birth control, but it sucks when people do it to their responsibilities. Hopefully since it's still early in the game you can find another judge.
posted 12-28-11 04:10 AM CT (US)     17 / 189  
Hmm, that's too bad, but at least that means we'll probably have another excellent entry. If someone would like to volunteer to be a judge, please send me an email.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 12-28-2011 @ 04:11 AM).]

posted 12-28-11 07:37 PM CT (US)     18 / 189  
email sent.

oh wait, I already am one. :/

posted 01-01-12 08:23 AM CT (US)     19 / 189  
Can we send in more than one entry?

Also, can it be set during historical times and is there a specific time period that we're supposed to write about (Middle ages, world wars, etc.)?

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" --- 1 Peter 3:15 (KJV) ---
I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare. --- First verse of "I Would Be True" by Howard A. Walter
posted 01-01-12 01:01 PM CT (US)     20 / 189  
Pretty sure the answers are: no, one entry per person, and yes, it can be set in whatever time period you like, factual or fictional.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 01-01-12 01:47 PM CT (US)     21 / 189  
should probably edit bart out of the judging part.

posted 01-01-12 04:59 PM CT (US)     22 / 189  
Lord Basse is correct. Only one entry is allowed per person, but you can write about any subject you want, as long as it is fiction.

Okay, I update the OP about the judging. We're still looking for a second judge.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 01-01-12 07:27 PM CT (US)     23 / 189  
I'm interested in writing something. I honestly haven't written anything since a few years ago when I participated in the writing comp in 2008.
posted 01-01-12 07:38 PM CT (US)     24 / 189  
Id love to judge. But if you guys say no its okay.

Life is bleak
My memes are bleak
Once upon a time
I ate a lime
posted 01-01-12 08:09 PM CT (US)     25 / 189  
I'd be fine with dementor judging if I gave him a piece of fiction I've written, have him judge it, and give lief the same piece, (I'm thinking 3-4 pages here. not much) if lief agrees for the most part (at least the grammatical part)

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 8  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Writing Competition 2012
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames