Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoKH Survivor Mk III
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20  Next Page »
posted 04-12-15 09:39 PM CT (US)   
Hello! Welcome all, here we will find who is meek and doesn't have time for online games and who is strong and will prevail despite looming real-life finals!

AoKH Survivor Mk I (we don’t talk about Mk II)

This is actually quite simple. Every round, a challenge is set. At the end of a challenge, the worst entry is eliminated. The last standing forummer wins!

Everyone has a single bye. by not submitting your entry for a challenge, you automatically use your bye. during the last three challenges, you may not use your bye. please inform me of your intention to use your bye before the time limit, however, so that if everyone else is ready we may move forward.

I’ll be putting up a nice prize: first place can choose any title on steam under 60 USD to be awarded. (it really does have to be steam, sorry) IF they wish for something under 60 USD, the remainder of the original 60 USD is awarded to runner-up.

Upon being eliminated, I’d kindly ask contestants to join the judging panel.

The judging panel:
CarolKarine
Watson

The contestants:
Aleph Eliminated
Popey
RHJ
CPR Eliminated
Major (BYE)
Mayank Eliminated
Dev Eliminated
HockeySam Eliminated
Excel Eliminated
Dexter Fei Eliminated
Regan Eliminated
Jan_DC Eliminated
John_The_Late Eliminated
CroBoss Eliminated
MrMew (BYE)

THE FIRST CHALLENGE: completed

THE SECOND CHALLENGE: completed

THE THIRD CHALLENGE: completed

THE FOURTH CHALLENGE: completed

THE FIFTH CHALLENGE

The person with the fewest points will be eliminated.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker

[This message has been edited by CarolKarine (edited 07-27-2015 @ 03:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-12-15 10:07 PM CT (US)     1 / 499  
My time would be like, an hour Might even get defeated unless I managed to suppress the enemy sufficiently. Though I'd have loved to join, I guess I'll skip this iteration of AoKH Survivor

*flaunts custom title*

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 04-12-15 10:13 PM CT (US)     2 / 499  
AoKH Survivor Mk I (we don’t talk about Mk II)
One question, what happened to Mk II? I don't remember.

Also, you are aware that people who use HD will have a much harder time because the AI is much more capable there, right?

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 04-12-15 10:17 PM CT (US)     3 / 499  
You can use the old ES versions of the AI in the HD edition. You just need to select it from the drop down menu as if you were selecting a custom ai you downloaded.

Major, you could use your bye and play the next round?

And didn't you win the castle challenge?

Not all of the challenges will be in the game. I just wanted the first one to be a simple ranking of times, though, so I wouldn't be the only judge for something subjective.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 04-12-15 10:19 PM CT (US)     4 / 499  
Mk II was actually a failed attempt to run a survivor (that I hosted) pretty quickly after NowhereT ran his. I don't think there was enough inquest at the time.

posted 04-12-15 11:40 PM CT (US)     5 / 499  
Normally I would have joined up with enthusiasm, but you just HAD to put up an actually AOK-related round first.

I'll judge alongside you if you want.
posted 04-12-15 11:45 PM CT (US)     6 / 499  
Well ok, I'll use a bye just to see what the next round is I rather enjoyed the real life stuff.

And yeah, I think I won (or was the top anyways) the castle build time thing, but that was a super optimized strategy I found that didn't take too long to pull off. Building a wonder while going against the AI would require a much longer strategy to pull off so it'd be more prone to failures I'm lazy like that.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 04-13-15 00:36 AM CT (US)     7 / 499  
I'll send you something. Something that probably sucks.

But it's an effort anyway.
Oh, and I had to truncate my name to "Plastic Rosary".

...[T]he least initial deviation from the truth is multiplied later a thousandfold. -Aristotle, De Caelo

On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: “Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you.” - Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel

Call me out if I fail or seem to fail to live up to either of these. Either I will learn something, you will learn something, or we both will.
posted 04-13-15 01:51 AM CT (US)     8 / 499  
I may participate, but we all know I'm going to lose in the popularity round anyway.

BTW Watson, I'm still mad at you for using the google image search in the last survivor contest.
posted 04-13-15 04:47 AM CT (US)     9 / 499  
Sure, I'm in

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 04-13-15 05:31 AM CT (US)     10 / 499  
I may participate, but we all know I'm going to lose in the popularity round anyway.
If I recall correctly, you won that one in MK I, owing to an overwhelming majority vote courtesy of OD.

Let us pray that CK will choose to be wiser.
*flaunts custom title*

[This message has been edited by Francis de Talking France (edited 04-13-2015 @ 05:42 AM).]

posted 04-13-15 05:44 AM CT (US)     11 / 499  
posted 04-13-15 06:11 AM CT (US)     12 / 499  
A couple will be AOK related, like this first one. some of them might be AOK related, but not in game. some will have nothing to do with AoK at all, but are interesting. Look at the previous survivor, I'm drawing inspiration from there.

I want to make it clear, deadlines are negotiable. Because an entry is not counted as final until the deadline passes, an extension is not unfair to the contestants who have already submitted their entry.

posted 04-13-15 06:31 AM CT (US)     13 / 499  
Mk II was actually a failed attempt to run a survivor (that I hosted) pretty quickly after NowhereT ran his. I don't think there was enough inquest at the time.
Wasn't Mk II run by Felix and he kept forgetting about it until it eventually just died?

Also I'll try to submit something. Although this sure is no easy challenge.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 04-13-15 07:09 AM CT (US)     14 / 499  
Given that our Custom Title for the Writing Competition wasn't claimed, I think it's safe to say that we can offer it to our Survivor.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 04-13-15 07:30 AM CT (US)     15 / 499  
...Things just got much, much more real. That'll draw attention, thanks Popey.

EDIT: I didn't even see CK's Steam game prize.

[This message has been edited by Francis de Talking France (edited 04-13-2015 @ 07:32 AM).]

posted 04-13-15 07:46 AM CT (US)     16 / 499  
So my first attempt is sub-40, but I expect that's going to be a terrible score. I might try again and aim for sub 35. The winner of this round might push 30.

posted 04-13-15 08:09 AM CT (US)     17 / 499  
Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun. Sign me up.

I got well below 30 on my first try. I guess now I can stop worrying about all of you spending the next 2 weeks to train for a 25 minutes time
posted 04-13-15 08:26 AM CT (US)     18 / 499  
I'll do better next time, I spent too long knight-rushing the AI for giggles.

posted 04-13-15 08:37 AM CT (US)     19 / 499  
Why even bother with the AI? Free choice of maps includes water maps, arena, black forest, or yucatan if you prefer. Not sure if a water map gives you a better time, it might be worth trying.
posted 04-13-15 10:13 AM CT (US)     20 / 499  
I'm in

I expect everyone will be using Huns, Mayans, Aztecs, or Vikings

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 04-13-15 10:25 AM CT (US)     21 / 499  
Spanish are probably the best civ. I underestimated the time it takes to actually build the damn thing. But I already submitted my recording, one try is enough for something this easy.

I also think huns are pretty much useless, and the viking and mayan bonuses don't help much either.

[This message has been edited by Aleph (edited 04-13-2015 @ 10:30 AM).]

posted 04-13-15 10:58 AM CT (US)     22 / 499  
Damn I need to install AoK again.

*shields self from brickbats*
posted 04-13-15 11:18 AM CT (US)     23 / 499  
Aye, the building takes a long time, so the Spanish bonus helps. But I think the eco bonuses of those civs make a big difference in how fast you can get to Imperial. Not having to worry about housing is always nice in a speed contest like this, though admittedly not very important as long as you remember to build your houses. The saved wood is nice, though.

CK, are we allowed to kill off the enemy AI before building the wonder? I have this dastardly idea of sending a few forward vills to palisade off his base. Though to be quite honest the easiest thing to do would just be to pick an Islands or Black Forest map

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 04-13-15 11:20 AM CT (US)     24 / 499  
If you want to kill the aI go ahead. The point is that if you choose to do that then you'll have to devour resources and time to it.

What about the Byzantines and their age up cost reduction? Just throwing it out there, I really have no idea if it would be worth anything over the Spaniards.

posted 04-13-15 11:20 AM CT (US)     25 / 499  
If you defeat the enemy, won't the AI eventually give up and end the game?

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » AoKH Survivor Mk III
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames